Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• Options
    rickqrickq Member Posts: 4
    The governor plate, where is that located? Does the computer need to be "reset" after replacing this stuff???
    Really appreciate your time with this, been trying to figure this out for months and hoping we did not need to replace the transmission!
  • Options
    timorr_06timorr_06 Member Posts: 11
    hope this helps...
    and i DID NOT have to reset any computers after i finished the job.

Start with taking off the lower pan, the governor is the round solenoid on the passenger side of the valve body. It has a metal retainer around it with 3 bolts with 7/16 heads and two screws with torx heads. Remove the bolts and screws, remove the retainer and remove the governor solenoid. Remove the last 7/16 headed bolt in the governor plate and remove the governor plate. After you remove that you can then remove the 3- 4 shift solenoid and the TCC solenoid. Check the screens on all three solenoids. If they have metal shavings or clutch dirt on them you can either try cleaning them or replacing them. I'm not sure about the 3-4 shift and TCC solenoids(they are built together) but the governor solenoid is about 100 dollars. So it is worth (if you have the time) to try cleaning them and reinstalling them to see if they work. Tighten the 7/16 headed bolts to 120 inch pounds and the screws to 35 inch pounds. Install a new filter and clean out the pan. Refill the trans with ATF +4. If you have any more questions, just ask.
  • Options
    bwillardbwillard Member Posts: 10
    I did what u said and it seems to have fixed it. the wire coming over the alternator was almost rubbed to the bare copper. Thanks alot!!
  • Options
    thanks cleaned connection at battery and is just like new!
  • Options
    whyme11whyme11 Member Posts: 2
    my 01 ram 2500 won't shift out of 1st until around 4000rpm then won't shift at all until I put it into N then back into D then it automatically goes in to OD I have no clue what it could be any help would be great thank's
  • Options
    dennis96dennis96 Member Posts: 1
    I just installed a used transmission into my ram 1500..it looked good inside, I changed all the fluid and filter and used chrysler synthetic fluid...everything works but the overdrive...1,2,and 3 is strong,but no overdrive. Has anyone got any ideas what may be wrong?
  • Options
    mopar25mopar25 Member Posts: 1
    I just went through this last week. I had codes indicating the governor solenoid was faulty. The shop pulled the pan and lots of clutch material on the magnet and the bottom of pan. They flushed the cooling system, new governor solenoid, new governor pressure transducer, new filter, adjust the band and now the truck runs as new. To get the codes from the 2001, turn your key on and off 3 times and on the 3rd time leave it on. The codes will show up in the odometer. I understand the build up of clutch material floats around and gets into the governor's and causes these problems.
  • Options
    whyme11whyme11 Member Posts: 2
    I hope that's it! what did they charge you for that?
  • Options
    shelrocshelroc Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem in my 99 . just started tonight can you let me know what you did to fix it thanks .. shelroc@csonline.net
  • Options
    boggyafterdarkboggyafterdark Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    The truck lost overdrive and wouldnt shift properly .
    had to floor it to get it to move at all.
    Changed the tcc solenoid and press switch still lose overdrive and temp light came on .
    Help please.
    Attempting to adjust bands too what a pain.
  • Options
    ramlovrramlovr Member Posts: 17
    Just a side note! Most Ram transmission problems are because the torque converter is starting to fail.You can try gps etc etc etc but most of the time your going to be wasting your money and time. Adjusting the bands will do little if anything if your torque converter or worse your tranny are already that bad off.Also, Make sure you install a heavy duty converter and aftermarket cooler with your rebulit trans.Not saying the gps doesnt go bad it can I'm just talking from vmy own experience.
  • Options
    thatazguythatazguy Member Posts: 9
    My experience goes to the wiring, but I am still messing w some of these issues. What code did the check engine light pull? My tranny acted up once because the fuel pump was losing pressure. Unfortunately it is all connected so a problem in one area effects everything. One of the interesting things was the screws holding the computer were greened out. (corroded). Cleaning them helped a couple of things. If you have a buddy with a meger you could check each wire individually. Either way, I was told I needed a new tranny by a transmission shop, but my mechanic took the filter off and peeled it. He said there were no pieces or signs of failure. After finding one wiring issue after another, I would have to say he was right. Another thing, you can pull all the connectors apart and look for any green connections on the pins. Clean everything, and dielectric gel it. PB Buster will eat corrosion, but it may eat other stuff..(like the carpet??) If you handle the wires and the silicone crap flakes off somewhere than the odds of wiring issues being the source goes up. A LOT. Good luck and post results please so there is more library to check.
  • Options
    boggyafterdarkboggyafterdark Member Posts: 2
    It pulls up a 0740 code before and after the solenoid change
  • Options
    saintdarrellsaintdarrell Member Posts: 1
    On occassion when putting it in drive or reverse there is a delay then a big hit. Truck wants to lurch forward, The dealer said this was a problem with late model rams and there was no fix. Doesn't seem right. Any ideas
  • Options
    munky1munky1 Member Posts: 1
    try replacing the high output sensor mine did the same thing and that is what it was on mine
  • Options
    bigdawg18bigdawg18 Member Posts: 1
    erratic shifting of all gears. 1-2 shift is generally around 20mph but sometimes higher. 2-3 shift, i have to left off throttle to lower rpms or put in neutral and back to drive for upshift. new filter and fluid (ATF+4) and pint of Trans Tune. also new throttle position sensor and adjusted throttle valve cable. No codes at all. any thoughts??
  • Options
    bombom Member Posts: 1
    i have a 99 dodge cummins 47rh wont shift from first to second and from second to drive after that shifts fine does good if you stay above 30 mph when come to stop wont start off in first unless you pull stick down
    when i stop i can pull it down shift it out to second then for it to go in to drive have to put in nuteral some time have to do the same thing from first to second need help whats wrong
    i have adjusted the tv/kickdown cable every way it can be adjusted can any one help
  • Options
    I had a problem with my 00 2500 cummins that was kinda like that. My truck would not shift to 2ND unless you red line it and let off the gas pedal. Then it would shift find. My tranny guy said that there are two bands in there and two band struts. And one of the band struts fell out. Cost me 185.00 and worth every penny. You may have both struts loose or out. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    2x4x162x4x16 Member Posts: 1
    When pulling loads at slow speeds (up mountain roads), my tranny temp spikes up to the point that I have to stop and let it cool down. This happens when I'm pulling loads as little as 3500 lbs. the dealer claims that that is the way it. I can't belive that, this truck should do that all day long. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    yamahagrizzlyyamahagrizzly Member Posts: 1
    Hello all.. I just took my dash apart to repair heater problems. i put all back together and installed insterment cluster. connected neg port on battery.. started truck and it wil not shift. truck seems to be in Netraul... how do i re synce trans to shifter..... URGENT please help
  • Options
    dodgesucks4dodgesucks4 Member Posts: 1
    I have been through 4 trannys in 60000 miles. Dodge black balled me and wont fix it any more now #5 is doing the same thing the others did before they went down. It bounces between 1st and 2nd when giong up a hill with minimum power. Also what is the deal with the heater replacement is this a recall or do I have to pay for it to
  • Options
    frequenttowfrequenttow Member Posts: 2
    I feel your pain, I am only at 52k and on the fifth time for transmission repair or replacement all this year, its in the shop right now going on 3 weeks looking for a replacement. Dodge tried telling me I had to pay a large portion of the repair this time, we agreed on 500.00 due to me getting a 100k warranty on this trans. I am not convinced this one will last any longer than the last ones... can't wait to get rid of it.
  • Options
    ramlovrramlovr Member Posts: 17
    Dont know what year truck you drive ? Depends on your year. They do not have to take care of any issues since before they filed for bankruptcy.
  • Options
    tracadatracada Member Posts: 1
    my 2001 dodge ram van will not shift automatically.When moving from a stand still van will hardly move because it is in third gear.I have to manually pull shift lever down to 1-st gear to take off then shift manually to 2-nd, then drive. van then drives excellent. not sure if it's the valve body or ECM. Can anyone help.
  • Options
    brianc979brianc979 Member Posts: 1
    Hello if anyone can help me that would be cool. My truck shifts to early while trying to gain speed, and so while trying to get on the highway it goes through the gears and Im in 5 th gear by 55 and pedal half way down. If i push it more it dont do anything until i floor it and when i do that it down shifts real quick and sometimes go right back down. And sometimes it stays in and wont shift out and red lines the motor. Its a Ram 1500 5.9L 4*4 2001 only73,000 miles. Please help.
  • Options
    tbascianitbasciani Member Posts: 4
    2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L engine 77000 miles:
    I'm just noticing the same fluctuation in rpm at constant speed/pressure on accelerator pedal. Tach bounces up & down 400-500 rpm and you can hear engine speed change as well. Has anyone with this issue found a repair solution? Hopefully not a tranny rebuild, just bought it with 75500 miles on it and the trans problem just started. Doesn't do it continuously, but erratic mini-slip.
  • Options
    batgreggerbatgregger Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2010
    after my truck sits and is cold it will take off and shift through the gears ok,then after only a couple of miles its starts slipping to the point that i have to put it in 1st to get it to go at all and then even that fails.reverse always works.the truck is not overheating and the trans temp light is not coming on.i changed filter and fluid and it made no difference,still it goes fine a short ways then starts slipping.is the tranny gone or is something else going.i'm fairly handy under the hood,but i don't know much about these transmissions.i'd greatly appreciate some feedback on this.
  • Options
    hogehoge Member Posts: 1
    Hi Ive got a 95 ram2500 with a cummins and about 40 to 70 mph it will shift back and forth like its kicking in and out of overdrive. It doesnt do it all the time but getting more frequent. Anyone heard of my problem?
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    edited November 2010
    Hi Tom,

Your 4.7 uses the 545RFE transmission, which has an extremely good reputation for reliability. I've never heard of a complete rebuild on one of these trannys unless damaged by misuse.

It sounds like the torque converter is coming out of lock, or you're dropping back from 5th to 4th gear. The first suspect, and the one most common, is the Throttle Position Sensor at the throttlebody. For some reason the older ones seem to become irratic after a while.

Check to see if the Overdrive circuit is functioning by press the O/D button. The O/D lamp should illuminate when the button is depressed. If not, this circuit is not functioning correctly.

Because of the age of the vehicle, check for electrical connections to the transmission and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). I've seen a couple that had corrosion on the connector terminals.

Has your speedometer been acting a little strangely? Irratic shifting could be caused by a defective Rear Wheel Speed Sensor, located in the rear axle housing.

If this problem started recently with climate change, the problem could be caused by a defective/intermittent temperature sensor in the transmission. A 545RFE Shift Schedule Description is as follows:

545RFE Transmission Operation
    The Transmission Control Module (TCM) is programmed to allow a select variety of shift schedules that are dependent on the following physical conditions:
    *Selected gear range
    *Throttle position
    *Engine load
    *Transmission fluid temperature
    *TCM software level
    The TCM will adjust the shift schedule of the transmission as environmental and driving conditions change.

-16F and below and with the transmission in the Drive position, the shift sequence will be 1st to 3rd until the ATF temperature reaches -12F. When placing the gear selector in either 1st or 2nd gear the transmission will be in 2nd gear only. There will be no torque converter lock up and switching off Overdrive will have no effect.

-12F and -10F the transmission shift sequences are as follows:
    *No torque converter lock up
    *No shift in to 5th gear
    *Delayed 2-3 upshifts
    *Delayed 3-4 upshifts
    *High speed 4-2, 3-2, or 2-1 kickdown shifts are prevented
    *High throttle opening shifts will be early
    *Switching off Overdrive will prevent shifts into 4th gear

-10F and 36F the transmission shift sequences are the same as above, except that 2-3 upshifts are not delayed. Switching off Overdrive will prevent shifts into 4th gear.

40F and 80F All shift sequences are normal except there will be no torque converter lockup. Switching off Overdrive will prevent shifts into 5th gear.

80F and 240F This is normal operating fluid temperature. The 545RFE will be in the normal shift sequence, including allowing torque converter lockup.

240F ATF or the engine coolant 244F, the transmission shift sequences will be as follows:
    *delayed 2-3 upshift
    *delayed 3-4 upshift
    *3rd gear FEMCC from 30-40 MPH
    *3rd gear PEMCC above 35 MPH
    *Above 25 MPH the torque converter will not unlock unless the throttle is closed or if a wide open throttle, 2nd gear PEMCC to 1 kickdown is made.

EMCC = Electronically Modulated Converter Clutch

NO EMCC = No Electronically Modulated Converter Clutch
    PEMCC = Partially Electronically Modulated Converter Clutch
    FEMCC = Full Electronically Modulated Converter Clutch
    Gradual to No EMCC = Gradual to No Electronically Modulated Converter Clutch

NOTE: Do not use anything other than ATF+4 transmission fluid.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    wimotokingwimotoking Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 dodge 1500 4x4 and i was driving down the interstate and it started shifting in and out of overdrive live crazy then it was like it went into nuetral and it wouldnt go. I shut the truck off for like 10 min hoping to reset the computer or something but now it will only shift into 1st snd 2nd and thats it. Anyone one have an idea on what it could be???
  • Options
    mrellermreller Member Posts: 5
    my 98 dodge pickup has only two forward gears even when its in nuetral you cant get to roll backwards it will roll forward anybody have any ideas it seems to run fine in forward doesnt work in overdrive either
  • Options
    payuppayup Member Posts: 1
    Just got mine back from the shop. Bad solenoid, 750 $ for parts and labor. Mine did the same so I took it in
  • Options
    I had a scan done on my truck which showed no problem codes but i still cant get it to go in reverse it wont even roll backward in neutral it will roll forward i have 215,000 miles on it dont want to stickm alot of money in it but runs to good to junk out i need help
  • Options
    Hi Dusty,

WOW, that's a load of info on my problem! Thanks for taking the time and effort to explain all that. The OD circuit seems to be working fine. I'm hoping that it's the Throttle Position Sensor as you suggest.

I've got a couple of facts to add which might help narrow down the culprit...
    * seems to happen between 40-70 MPH
    * seems to be definitely climate-related, as it shifts fine until air temp gets below 40F-45F or so. It ran great when the weather was warmer.
    * Also, the latest development, today as a matter of fact, is the check engine light just came on for the first time since I bought the truck at the end of August (I know this may not even be related to the erratic shifting issue in cold temps)

I just noticed where you state in your response: "If this problem started recently with climate change, the problem could be caused by a defective/intermittent temperature sensor in the transmission." Do you think , based on my temp related description, that this is more likely the problem rather than the Throttle position Sensor.

I'm going to start calling some Dodge dealerships in my area to see if they have seen my problem. Hopefully they won't rip me off with unnecessary repairs.

Best Regards,
    Tom
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Tom,

My pleasure to be of assistance.

On the 4.7 polyhead motors of your vintage, the Throttle Position Sensors (TPS) were a commonly replaced item. Here's a symptom list for the TPS:

The following list of symptoms associated with defective Throttle Position Sensors on Dodge trucks are a compilation of actual field experiences, both observed and reported:

off-idle hesitation
    hesitation at speed
    rough engine idle
    intermittent rough engine idle
    rough idle then stalls
    engine RPM fluctuates at idle
    engine RPM flairs after start, then stalls
    engine stalls when placed into any gear
    engine stalls after start unless throttle pedal used
    engine stalls when throttle opened
    engine surges at speed
    engine performance poor: engine misfires under load/acelleration

irratic shifts
    irratic torque converter unlocking
    irratic or over sensitive 6-5 downshifts at speed (68RFE)
    irratic or over sensitive 5-4 downshifts at speed (545RFE)
    irratic or over sensitive 4-3 downshifts at speed (RE, RLE)
    3-4 driveline clunk
    delayed 1-2 shift
    delayed 3-4 upshift
    3-4 upshifts occurs abrubtly after 2-3 shift
    no 3-4 upshift
    no 4-3 downshift
    no kickdown at speed
    no or irratic torque converter lock up
    no or irratic overdrive shift

There are of course other possibilities, such as a stuck or worn shift solenoid, bad Torque Converter Clutch or Torque Converter Solenoid, a bad electrical connection, or clutch indexes out of range (worn clutches or depleted transmission fluid). The Transmission Temperature Sensor on a 545RFE is built in to the Transmission Range Sensor, which could also be defective. You could also have a shift cable sticking or out of adjustment. These components could all be affected by temperature change. On Dakotas, the shift cable problems usually crop up in cold weather. Can't say I've heard of this problem on a Ram, but the system and components are similar.

Go down to Advance Auto across from Panorama Plaza and ask for my son, Ken, and have him pull the codes from the engine computer module. That will help identify the problem.

So how are you doing nowadays?

Bests,
    Dusty
  • Options
    ramit95ramit95 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Dodge 1500 5.9 I first started having issues with her when it seemed like my back brakes were locking up and i'd be half throttle and she wasn't going anywhere but 10mph then it would release and it acted fine again.. Never had a Shifting problem. Then it was doing what seemed like the brakes were locking up and I pulled into the ATM (keeping her in Drive) and i went to go and the truck acted as if it was in neutral. I shut the truck off and then back on put her into drive and she was okay, got about 50 feet and had nothing again as if it was in Neutral. I then had her towed by a friend to shop was going to push her in but she started just fine and actually drove great! As soon as it got warmed up it started Slamming HARD into gears 4 and higher. Assuming this was all a transmission problem I put in a good transmission from another 95 dodge. Now I still have issues Shifting... you can feel her shift from gears 1 to 3 then after that she's great. Its not a slamming shift its just slightly. I also found in putting in this new Transmission that my tranny mount wasn't hanging on by much and I should replace it... could that be the problem with the gears 1-3?? Too much play in the tranny???.. :sick: This Dodge business is too stressful! If anyone has ANY ideas please let me know!
  • Options
    DustyK,

I just realized who I've been talking to about my RAM!!! DUH!!!

I'm OK, hope you're doing well. Sounds like you're still very sharp technically. I'll have Ken pull the codes as you suggested. Wish I could have afforded a new one like yours 8-(

SMALL WORLD,
    Tom
  • Options
    tbrownetbrowne Member Posts: 1
    Hello I am wondering if you have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 truck 4x4 transmission will it fit into a 2500 dodge 1997 van not 4x4.
  • Options
    freakazoidalfreakazoidal Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 1500 ram 3.9 w/45RE 4x4.
    While driving, the truck would kick out of gear and wouldn't go back. I could pull off to the side of the road and restart the truck and be able to drive again. This went on all the way home. The truck began to stall out if I didn't quickly put it in gear and move on. Once I got to the bottom of my driveway, I could only go a few feet before restarting and the truck would not idle at all. After coming to a rest in my yard, I have not been able to start it without pumping the pedal to keep it running and I have no gears at all.
    I was led to believe the tranny was toast, but why wont the engine run? Keeps me thinking that there is a different problem. After searching these forums I thought it might be the TPS. I checked for resistance using an OHM meter accross the signal and power leads. There is a steady resistance that decreases as I move the throttle then steadily returns. Which sounds normal to me.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    I thought I would charge the battery and check the electrical system. Fuses,cables, battery. Cable from PCM ,etc...
    If anyone can help,thanks in advance...
  • Options
    nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    edited December 2010
    I have a 2001 Dodge diesel, 2500, I bought new. I have ONLY 53 thousand miles on my truck and treat it pretty darn good. However I've noticed my fluid was dark at 35 thousand miles, I had it changed, then at 50 thousand miles dark again. I HAVE noticed a few drops of fluid but no blow back. Seems to leak a few drops every now and then but not every time. ODD! I had it changed again. Not slipping, it down sifted one time for no reason. I am worried because I love my truck. I am told that transmission is very weak for that model, I am told to change the trotted body and torque converter to improve performance. Any feedback would be much helpful. I just thought about selling the darn thing but when driving it shifts so smooth and such great MPG, no added extra features like chips etc. I have pulled a small 5th wheel 25 feet. I do pull in overdrive, I'm told that's a no no. Thanks, new to this blog.
  • Options
    wingnut9wingnut9 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    I have a 2007 2500 with the 6-speed automatic. When the transmission is cold, I drive 1/2 mile to a 65 mph highway and it takes over two miles for my transmission to shift into overdrive. Once warm, if shifts normally. The dealership is about three miles from a freeway and they cannot duplicate the problem because it's had time to warm up. The transmission fluid was just changed but had no effect on the problem.
  • Options
    cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    I'm not familiar with your particular unit, but the lock up torq converter on modern transmissions will not engage until a certain temperature is met. Could what you think is " overdrive " be the torq converter locking?
  • Options
    wingnut9wingnut9 Member Posts: 2
    could very well be. Are you saying that this is normal operation, because it hasn't been doing it the entire three years I have owner the truck?
  • Options
    Here is my earlier post.
    I have a 1998 1500 ram 5.2L w/45RE 4x4.
    While driving, the truck would kick out of gear and wouldn't go back. I could pull off to the side of the road and restart the truck and be able to drive again. This went on all the way home. The truck began to stall out if I didn't quickly put it in gear and move on. Once I got to the bottom of my driveway, I could only go a few feet before restarting and the truck would not idle at all. After coming to a rest in my yard, I have not been able to start it without pumping the pedal to keep it running and I have no gears at all.
    I was led to believe the tranny was toast, but why wont the engine run? Keeps me thinking that there is a different problem. After searching these forums I thought it might be the TPS. I checked for resistance using an OHM meter accross the signal and power leads. There is a steady resistance that decreases as I move the throttle then steadily returns. Which sounds normal to me.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    I thought I would charge the battery and check the electrical system. Fuses,cables, battery. Cable from PCM ,etc...

I have since started the truck and after sitting 8 months it started easily with a quick jump. Still, it will not idle. It whines when put in gear and will move somewhat slipping the whole time.
    I have done a resistance check on the TPS and it seems OK. Today I checked the power going to the TPS and the voltage when moviong the throttle. Everything checks out.
    I find it hard to beleive that it not idling is a coincidence.
    Can anyone shine some light on this,or do I need a new tranny and engine work?
    Are there any other solenoids or sensors that would create this problem?
    If anyone can help,thanks in advance...
  • Options
    My truck has no reverse it sounds like its going into gear but nothing it also has no 1st gear it will start to go in 1st then just stop like it went into park even when in neutral you cant push it backwards its just wont move but it will roll forward when starting out it needs to have rpms up its seems like it skips a gear help anybody
  • Options
    cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    Normal operation in every vehicle I've owned in the past 20 years or more. Maybe the temperature sensor on your truck has changed a bit. The colder weather also means it's going to take a bit longer to reach the temperature where converter lockup is allowed.....Richard
  • Options
    dodgeviper1dodgeviper1 Member Posts: 1
    I need to know how to fix the slipping on my transmission. Do I need to tighten the bands? Modulator? How many bands are on the 1985 Transmission? Thanks,

David
  • Options
    Well here's an update on post #1769 & 1777.
    The idle problem turned out to be the IAC. Replaced it and it now runs great!
    As for no gears, once I could get the engine warmed up i tried putting it in gear. At first nothing. Then as I revved the motor, it started slipping into gear. Enough so I could move it. Doesn't seem to favor one gear over another. At times it seemed strong.
    Could something be clogged? I have replaced the fluid and the screen. Didn't see any metal. Is there hope?
  • Options
    redelenredelen Member Posts: 1
    I have a '00 Dodge 1500 with a 5.9 automatic. The truck runs fine and shifts fine up and down. It is making a whining noise that starts at about 45 mph and gets higher in pitch with speed not rpm. It sounds kinda like a power steering pump that's low on fluid. The fluid in the tranny is ok. I have had it changed but made no difference. It has been doing this for some time. I am going to have to pull a small trailer about 700 miles and am more than just a little concerned it's going to spew tranny parts all over the highway. Could this be the OD unit and if so what would it take to fix it?
  • Options
    jack925jack925 Member Posts: 3
    hi hairball42
    i came across ur post from 09 i am have same prolbem just wonderning
    what was the prolbem thank you for any help

thank you jack925