Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Transmission Problems

Comments

• jack925jack925 Member Posts: 3
    I have 2002 ram 4x4 trans slow start at 1st shift at 2000 rpm can any body help.
    thanks jack925
  • sirkingdaddysirkingdaddy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500-V6 Magnum..I had the water pump changed last year..And now when i turn on the heater it smells like antifreeze.Could this mean my heater core is bad?..And also when on defrost the air comes out the bottom.I did notice the a/c in the summer when i driving the air supply went crazy going from vent to the defrost on the dash.Give it gas and it went to the bottom.Let off went back to defrost vents.
  • ramlovr1ramlovr1 Member Posts: 4
    Yep, Sounds like your heater core is leaking. Your other problem sounds like a 2 dollar check valve in your vacuum line under your hood. On V8's they are located on the pass side of the motor near the firewall.I have a picture of the valve but cant figure out how to post it on here!Good luck!
  • danielsol10danielsol10 Member Posts: 3
    Hey i have the same exact problem. How did you resolve it? Thanks. Danny Solaresconstruction@gmail.com
    Same issue w tranni here on 2003 2500 what did u guys do to fix it?
  • lonnie7lonnie7 Member Posts: 1
  • noricthornnoricthorn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.9L. I have replaced the trasmission at 89000 miles. Now about 40000 miles later I can get going about 10-15 mph and when the trasmission should shift to second it goes in to nertual till the rpms drop down again and it shifts into first. Sometimes I have to turn the truck off and turn it back on to get it to go into 1st again. Any ideas on the problem and ways to fix it?
  • 99dodgeramguy99dodgeramguy Member Posts: 2
    So I recently purchased a 1999 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 from a lady in desoto Iowa. She has had the truck since 2000 an the tranny recently went out so she bought one from a salvage yard and put it in. Well for some odd reason that tranny didn't work so she pulled it out an put in yet another salvage yard tranny an it will not drive forward but it will go into reverse like it should an move just fine? Any help is much appropriated I have not the slightest clue on where to begin?
  • dee67dee67 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 99 dodge 1500 and the transmission started acting up. it dosen't shift like it should it goes to nutrual and not into second or third like it should. the problem is that i have had the trans rebuilt and it started doing the same thing in the first day. i bought a rebuilt one and it does the same thing its hard to beleave that they both would do the samething. this is the third time i have put a trans in and the same thing seems to happen. it seems to want to start of in second and then it wants to go to nutrual and if i put it in nutural manualy and back in to gear it will shift sometimes. what should i be looking for is it still the trans or something else.
  • bob402bob402 Member Posts: 1
    my transmission when put in reverse makes a terrible noise. after it warms up it is fine. i bought the truck used it appeared the transmission fluid had been changed.

whats up with this thing?

thanks

bob
  • dickymintdickymint Member Posts: 1
  • colmancolman Member Posts: 1
  • jap2500jap2500 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 99 DODGE RAM TRANNY DOSE N'T WANT TO SHIFT OUT OF FRIST RPM'S GO UP THEN MAY SHIFT TO SECOND OR I CAN BACK OF THE GAS ALITTLE AND IT SHIFT ONCE IN SECOND IT SHIFT OK THE OD WORK OK IT DOSEN'T HELP TO PULL IN FRIST AND SHIFT MAMUNL
  • 1999_cummings1999_cummings Member Posts: 1
    Hi Guys just wondering if you could help me out. I have a 1999.5 ram 2500 cummins automatic trans. 1,2, and reverse work great but when it is in third with overdrive off it seems to jump 500rpms into overdrive and then jump back into 3rd but does all this in a matter of a second, and still has all the power to pull over 80km/h. Not sure if the tranny is toast or not. fluids are clear and red not brown. If you can help that would be great i depend on this truck for work and i dont really want to go to dodge because i always seem to go in with one problem and come out with more. thanks
  • mandormandor Member Posts: 1
    Hey how's it going with ur truck I have the same problem with mine. Did u figure out what it was I would really appreciate some info on it ?????
  • joann8joann8 Member Posts: 3
  • joann8joann8 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 1995 dodge ram 1500 with a 45rh in it ,, it started slipping in and out of gear the other day and then it would not move at all ,,then we changed the fuild and filter and the truck made a 98percent turn around i thought it was fixed ,but now its slipping in and out of gear again but it keeps moving can any one tell me what to do next ,, could it be a sensor or more sludge in the valve body
  • jack925jack925 Member Posts: 3
    i had it rebuilt
    good luck
  • brandonh1brandonh1 Member Posts: 1
    i have had the same problem on a 05 dodge. have you been able to fix the problem yet?
  • wayne83wayne83 Member Posts: 1
    their is a check ball in the tranny cooler line that needs to be took out because the will stick and keep burning the trannys up
  • tol1tol1 Member Posts: 2
    How can I tell if I have a torque converter issue or other tranny related issues. My tranny was rebuilt 2 years ago. It really "stutters" (for lack of better terms) when carrying a load of > 500 lbs. If I have upwards of a ton of weight in the bed it is very noticable can barely get to 50 at around 55 it will settle down if no incline or wind. Turning off overdrive doesn't seem to help other than expected gearing change. Or should I suspect MAP sensor and other items. Not getting any Engine codes.
  • sleepy10sleepy10 Member Posts: 1
    about 95 dodge went to plastic servos
    they will crack or swell when warm and lock into place
    which can either lock you into over drive or lock you out of over drive an old 727 servo will fit and they are aluminum
  • jillglenn2011jillglenn2011 Member Posts: 2
    Our initial trouble was that the tranny cooling block cracked and we lost fluid. We had it fixed and continued on our trip after a week. Next issue : we were coming down a steep hill towards Palm Springs and pushed the button to put OD off. The truck seemed to not shift down and I had to use the brakes all the way down. We have a tranny temp gauge & I noticed it was reading 0 degrees versus the usual around 160 F. At the bottom I only had 1st & 2nd gears. We limped to our RV Park to park our 5th wheel trailer. Fluid level was fine. On the Monday, 2 days later, when we went to take the truck to the dealership, the tranny temp gauge was still reading 0 and the truck would not shift out of 1st for about 2 miles then finally shifted into 2nd. We went for another 7 miles and then I noticed the tranny temp gauge was reading 168 F and it started shifting properly.
    The dealership scoped it but could not find anything wrong. I don't have a lot of confidence that issues will not reoccur. Has anyone encountered something like this?
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    The tranny temperature sender has to be bad - obviously your trans temp was not 0 F while pulling a trailer in the hills around Palm Springs. The computer probably caused the shifting problems by trying to respond to the bogus temp indication. Good luck.
  • sedwards1sedwards1 Member Posts: 3
    I am doing my first rebuild on a 47re out of a 96 1 ton. i was having a little trouble getting it to lock-up and then one day going down the road when it decided to lock-up it did with a hard "bang" and hasnt locked-up since. I have it out and apart right now but being my first rodeo am not sure what im looking for. it has also been slipping and im finding that my clutch packs are looking worn and i cant see any abrasive on the bands. any advice would be appreciated.
    after my first post i started going thru and reading what i could of the other posts. last year the truck was also having the same symptoms where it had to run 20-30 minutes before it would even move. once it started moving, it seemed to be slipping for a bit and then would run fine?? i dont know but this is about the 10th dodge ive had since 99 and i havent had one yet that hasnt had tranny work done!!
  • jbw072287jbw072287 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98, 1500, 5.2L. Yesterday on my way home it started hesitating shifting into 2nd and 3rd. It didn't seem too bad until I came up to a few hills. It slowed down from about 50 to 30. I was at 2k RPM giving it a decent amount of gas and it just sounded really weird and was still slowing down. Also sometimes when shifting from 1st to 2nd it would vibrate like you were driving over the things on the side of the highway to keep you from sleeping
    I have the same problem, I thought it was a sensor or something then I notices one of the connections between the tranny and the cooling lines was loose. I guess it was letting air in or something. anyways I tightened it and the leaking stopped. so far so good.
  • temperoathtemperoath Member Posts: 1
    I know its been a while since you posted this, but Im having the same problem with my 03 2500! Did you have any luck resolving it?
    I'm out of here. This site wont let me post things from other sites to help you guys out. How stupid!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have to say that's probably the dumbest thing I have ever seen!Really moderators? Why not?If I can help someone what difference does it make where the help comes from? I cant figure out how to get my membership deleated from here? Could you do it for me?This site SUCKS!
  • tracywildertracywilder Member Posts: 3
    its a shift silanoid sensor having the exact same problem its the sensor in the transmition pan
  • joshtremmeljoshtremmel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Dodge 2500 4x4. The truck drives fine and shifts fine, but then after about an hour the transmission completely stops working. When I let it sit overnight, it works just fine again for about another hour. Any suggestions???
  • bobwinnerbobwinner Member Posts: 47
    AFTER DRIVING 5-10 MINUTES, FEEL OF YOUR TRANNY COOLER (LOOKS LIKE A RADIATOR, AND IS OUT FRONT). IF IT IS NOT HOT YOU ARE NOT COOLING YOUR FLUID, AND ARE OVERHEATING YOUR TRANNY. YOUR O/D LIGHT MAY BE ON, AS IT ALSO IDENTIFIES OVERHEAT CONDITION. Read back thru previous post. This problem has been addressed a hundred times. The check valve balls are almost certainly the problem. bobwinner
  • nicholas_meadenicholas_meade Member Posts: 2
    the first thing i would check for is the retaining wave ring on the overdrive unit. I was having similar problems on my 98 and that was the problem. Also a friend of mine just bought a 98 as well and he had the same exact problem. and one of the guys i go to school with has a durando with the same thing
  • jillglenn2011jillglenn2011 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry all as I have been negligent in getting back to this forum on the resolution of our problem. I'm not sure I am using the proper terminology but here are the main items that were replaced:
    Solenoid-transmission gov
    Transduce-pressure sensor

The tranny has been behaving so far (knock on wood) and we have done some decent pulling.
    O'Reilly sells a SHUTTER LUBE . About $7, in a popsicle shape tube. For that price, may be worth doing. bobwinner
  • lbidwelllbidwell Member Posts: 1
    trans problem need to solve can anyone help
    What exactly do you want done? What year is the vehicle?
  • dirtrider604dirtrider604 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. It tends to feel like it revs on its own at lower rpm's usually between 20-35 MPH, almost as if I hit the throttle for a split second. I am told that is the 4 cylinders shutting off and on and that it is normal. Is this normal? I have never owned a Hemi before.
    I am not aware of a Hemi having the cylinder shutoff option. Sound like your THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR is malfunctioning. Take to Auto Zone and get a free scan. bobwinner
  • cobrazeracobrazera Member Posts: 352
    My '09 HEMI has MDS ( Multiple Displacement System ), and when the truck is cruising at 35-40MPH, 4 cylinders will shut off. Once engaged, it requires a decent sized demand for power before it goes back to 8 cylinders. Smaller demands for power, i.e. slight rises in the road or minor accelerations, will cause the transmission to downshift, thereby raising the RPMs. Your problem seems to occur at too low of a speed for it to be MDS related, and that's assuming that your '06 even has MDS. I'd look elsewhere.
  • mama2threemama2three Member Posts: 1
    I realize that this question has probably been addressed several times through out this forum, but I don't have the time to read 93 pages.
    About a week ago my trany started to what i'm guessing now is slipping. It will head out fine but then when I get up to approximately 30 mph the rpm shoot up to 4+ and it either takes a while to shift into second or won't shift at all unless i down grade and shift it from second back into drive. I have pulled the pan changed the filter and the fluid. I have also replaced all the sensors on the outside of the transmission including the one on the rear differential. Am at a loss as to what to do next. If there are any sensors inside of the trany I have yet to change those but can if that will fix the problem. At this point I need some help on decifering if there is anymore I could possibly look at doing to fix the problem without having to look at rebuilding or replacing. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  • mkdodge1mkdodge1 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    I have a 5.9L 360 that has had all the solenoids replaced and the PCM. The tranny has been rebuilt 2 in the past year. It is giving me a p0748 an a p0753 code we have replaced everthing but the fuse box and the harness. We have narrowed it down to no power on the #5 fuse (tran mod) an 11.87v at the tranny. It will not shift out of limp mode, starts off in 2nd gear. PLEASE any HELP before I limp it off a cliff. :sick:
  • davcascoldavcascol Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    The truck was doing fine then stopped pulling in OD. So, I pulled over and then it stopped pulling all together. I shut the motor off and cranked it back and it pulled a very short way. Then it stops pulling again as if it's not in gear. Does anyone know what's going on with this?
  • lesterbakerlesterbaker Member Posts: 1
    Dodge Ram 4 x 4 1500 5.9 2004 getting code P1762..changed fluid and filter, eased code, change correct first time. Then went right back to having to get 5000 rpms to change out of 2nd, code came back. from what I have read it sounds like the governor pressure sensor...Does this seem correct?
  • rob194rob194 Member Posts: 1
    i have an 01 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.2l and i have had this problem for awhile now and what happens is after driving for about a half hour or so the tranny will start to screw up i will be driving about 45 -50 mph take my foot off the gas and it will downshift almost immediately then i will put my foot back on the pedal and will have to push harder to get it back into gear it almost acts like it isnt in any gear when this happens it will do this a few times and then the engine light will come on the next thing to happen is i will be at a stop light and go to take off and it never shifted down to first and i am starting off in a higher gear once it cools down everything normal again. so far to correct the problem after checking codes changed the governor pressure sensor also because of this i had to rebuild the tranny where everything was rebuilt not just worn parts have bypassed the original tranny cooler with an after market left the check valve in place though just cut the rubber and spliced it from there. not sure what direction i should take next hoping someone will have some insight.
  • m61wrenchrm61wrenchr Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    Water pump on my '01 1500 5.2l pickup took a dump. Changed out just about everything with the cooling system except radiator. 1 AM, no leaks, temp good, and lights out. Next morning, I headed out to get stuff to get me back to the home-improvement project, and NOW, the thing won't shift up past 2nd! What the heck could I have done? I DID have to remove the AC/Alt bridge to get at the bypass hose and thermostat. And after the reassembly, the throttle and cruise cables seemed normally slack (tension-free). Thing seems to run/idle fine. Batt. neg. cable was disconnected for the job. And the truck wasn't even jacked! It just seems like more than a coincidence. Did I do something to the throttle linkage? It did do this a while back, (very similar). Dealer changed the PCM, and "some sensor(s)" about six years ago for $1300. Now, it has nearly 200k on the odometer, and I would hate to throw that much at it. The tranny's been shifting ok, tho it would do an "rpm jump" every 30 seconds or so @ 70, but only with the cruise control engaged...so I just didn't use it. Fluid/filter was changed today, and yes, it was dirty. Still no joy. Have a "guy" who wants to change out the transmission, but I just don't know. When he drove it with me, he kept saying it was slipping, but I couldn't notice it. I mean, the thing felt like it did when new! Except for the shiftless part. I'm really inclined to try and find out if I flicked a booger on the tranny, or if it was already "boogered up."
  • 340cudaman340cudaman Member Posts: 3
    I bought a brand new 2003 Dodge it was gettting stuck in 2nd gear after about 10k miles, the dealer ended up replacing the TCM and the problem went away for about a year then started again especially on cool mornings. Then after it happening to much I took it to another dealer they replace the solinoid pack and it helped for about another 12k miles. I started the procedure on the lemon law and also took to a small local transmission shop. 5 minutes later and they said it was my main ground cable from the battery to the block. I changed it out and changed the battery also. I have not had a single issue in the last 40k miles.
  • vcarrollvcarroll Member Posts: 1
    ok so i have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.2L and i love it but i had my first issue ... while i was driving on the freeway my od turns off and shifts down so i had to pull over waited for a hr then started it up then drove home bout time i got there it did it agen then the trans light came on its a rebulit trany and dont no whats going on its been doin this for a while now if i drive it for more the 20mins i think... i really need help dont wanna give up on my 1st truck