Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    I was talking about... well, you guessed it... cars!... with some friends when another person nearby overheard the conversation and said "It's just a car," inferring of course that a car shouldn't matter all that much.

I'm guessing others here have had that experience. I wonder if people that think that way just can't connect to a vehicle and the driving experience in any way at all. :confuse:

Could anyone ever imagine Jeremy Clarkson saying that? :surprise:

It's the car being an "appliance" thing again, isn't it?

TagMan
  • Options
    I was talking about... well, you guessed it... cars!... with some friends when another person nearby overheard the conversation and said "It's just a car," inferring of course that a car shouldn't matter all that much.

I'm guessing others here have had that experience. I wonder if people that think that way just can't connect to a vehicle and the driving experience in any way at all. :confuse:

Could anyone ever imagine Jeremy Clarkson saying that? :surprise:

It's the car being an "appliance" thing again, isn't it?

TagMan
  • Options
    Goodness, this just in... read this!!!

link title

It certainly could be a hoax. :sick:

TagMan
  • Options
    This is either a nasty rumor perpetrated by one of Jeremy's enemies (and it seems he does have them), or it is a tragedy. :surprise:

Here's the link that reported it, and there is much more on the internet, but no conclusive answer yet.

link title

I hope it is not true, and that he is alive and crazy as ever!

TagMan
  • Options
    bristol2bristol2 Member Posts: 736
    Do you have the interior sorted out now? If you are switching the exterior to black, I thought you had chosen a black interior also...won't that be kind of dark and gloomy?
    Surely now you have to go with the Coral Boston red interior to keep up that sports car feel or will it be taupe for the black on tan look?
    And is now going to be Glacial Silver aluminum trim? (looks so nice with black exterior..)

And are you going Black Sapphire Metallic or Jet Black??

tag, you are really only scratching the surface of possible Romneyite flip-flopping on this car! :)
  • Options
    This has just been reported...

link title

I hope this is just a nasty rumor. :surprise:

I truly like Jeremy Clarkson and his crazy antics.

TagMan
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Every single car I bought was jet black until 2006 and despite the abusive Toronto climate I have no regrets for always picking jet black.
  • Options
    Definitely a H-O-A-X. I know I've seen Elvis alive at least 50 times during my last Vegas visit but still nobody believes me. ;)

His review on the Subaru WRX Sti is hilariously merciless. Link is provided below.

There are many ways to tell if someone is a bit thick. You can sit them in a room and ask them to push various bits of plastic into a wooden box. Or you can ask them to describe a cloud. Or you can carefully measure the distance between their eyes, the height of their forehead or the length of their arms.

But there’s another, easier way of establishing whether someone is two spanners short of a tool box. Just ask them this simple question: “Are you wearing a Subaru rally jacket?” Because if they are, you will need to speak more slowly.

link title
  • Options
    I see that you also ended up with multiple posts.

The site was not responding, so I clicked the post my message button until the site responded, and all of a sudden it exploded with multiple posts!!

To answer your question, Jet Black with Black Boston Leather. And I don't feel it to be gloomy at all. I looked at it closely. It is very classy. The lighter interior is nice, but solid black interior is so well crafted looking.

And, no more flip-flopping like the candidates. :)

TM
  • Options
    Every single car I bought was jet black until 2006 and despite the abusive Toronto climate I have no regrets for always picking jet black.

Reassuring!! Interior?
    TM
  • Options
    Always black on black.

I am a gloomist who loves black. I love black coffee, black humour and ofcourse black cars and white hearses. Although I still manage to live my life quite happily with a gray 335i.. ;)
  • Options
    Always black on black.

Cool... Well, very soon I will own my very first BMW, and my very first black on black vehicle, which goes to show that there are still many frontiers to explore. Thanks Dewey.

TagMan
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,757
    Yes, I've been usiing Zaino products for 3 years now. Expensive-ish, easy but time consuming to use. Wonderful results, I think the Zaino shine lasts much longer than traditional waxes (it's a polymer). Z-2 & Z-5 w/ZFX and Z-6. Just started using the Z-7 wash, lots of long lasting suds. Informative website. Stuff smells good, too!

With a black car, I think you'll be pleased w/the results (my TL is Abyss Blue, a dark-ish blue. Main reason I went to Zaino, wanted the deep, long lasting shine on darker color. Prior cars have been white, silver).

There are Zaino threads here in Edmunds you can review...

And what makes leather "Boston?" Is it Championshiop leather? Will it stay undefeated even if you sit on it?

Go Pats!!!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Cool... Well, very soon I will own my very first BMW, and my very first black on black vehicle, which goes to show that there are still many frontiers to explore. Thanks Dewey.

Enjoy. Black is always my favorite color on cars, but I don't like to get black leather seats, ouch! I do like the gray/black or white/black two tone combination for the seats and console that you often see as the alternate choice to an all black interior in many sport variants of cars.

I highly doubt the rumor about Clarkson's untimely demise is true, but it is a bit strange to see "Clarkson's Greatest Hits" on his page on the Times website.

The Clarkson Page
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    The Times Online reported the death of Jeremy Beadle, a Brit TV personality who slightly resembled Clarkson. I wonder if some cube-dweller who was web-surfing when he should have been working saw this & started the Clarkson death rumor.
  • Options
    Nissan's CEO Ghosn, a former executive of the German software firm SAP and the Israeli Government are making an interesting attempt to redefine the automobile:

In Businessweek:

link title
  • Options
    The Times Online reported the death of Jeremy Beadle, a Brit TV personality who slightly resembled Clarkson.

After reading Clarkson's latest review I thought Subaru may have hired a hitman to make his death look accidental.
  • Options
    Wow, comparing Jeremy Beadle and Clarkson is harsh.

For the non-Brits out there, Beadle is (I guess now 'was', I didn't know he was off this mortal coil) sort of a Jerry Springer like character who presented alot of those 'Funniest Home Video' type of shows. He was well renowned in the UK for being a nervous laugher with extraordinarily small hands.
  • Options
    I never understood grey seats.

It seems such an unnatural color for leather but I am far more of a tan leather fan. I think of all leather seat colors it ages the most naturally and therefore gracefully.

I don't want to be a downer on you Tag but I think black ages the worst of all as the crease lines slowly fade to off white.

FWIW, my current car has grey leather, so it looks like I'm all mouth and no trousers! :)
  • Options
    louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715

It's probably the best color to hide dust. I don't like grey seats as well but after me and my family together owned all 3 color leather seats (black, tan and grey) I have to say that grey is the easiest to maintain.

Black looks the best but IMO is the hardest to maintain. Tan is in the middle in both maintenance and appearance.
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    To me it depends on the shade of grey. Dark grey looks good to me if expensive leather but some of the lighter greys take on a pastel blue look to me (General Motors). Sort of like milk of magnesia.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options

It seems such an unnatural color for leather but I am far more of a tan leather fan. I think of all leather seat colors it ages the most naturally and therefore gracefully.

A lot depends on the shade of gray used. Economy cars all use gray, and you don't want something that resembles that. Here's gray done right:

• Options
    What is that.....a Subaru? :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    It's a Lincoln town Car if I've ever seen one.. :P
  • Options
    That is a beauty. I can't imagine living with it, but it is lovely.
  • Options
    That beautiful Audi A6 interior is a combination of two shades of gray... with darker gray on the dash and a light gray, almost creamy in color, on the doors and seats. Audi installs a silver headliner with this combination.

It is very attractive (for those that might like a gray interior), and Audi certainly is a master of interiors.

TagMan
  • Options
    atlas7atlas7 Member Posts: 126
    I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder....but, IMO that is pretty ugly interior...the entire interior, including the seats look plastic
  • Options
    Lexusguy,

I have always respected your taste in terms of interiors until today.

That gray interior has to be the most tackiest looking interiors I have ever seen since my old 78 Ford Granada.

Interior gray looks tacky for any car.
    Black on black is sexiest for BMWs.

Regarding exteriors here's the simple truth:

BMWs look best in black
    Silver is best for Lexuses
    Charcoal gray exteriors are best for MBs.
    White exteriors are best for Audis
  • Options
    I don't want to be a downer on you Tag but I think black ages the worst of all as the crease lines slowly fade to off white.

I posted that I never owned a black on black before, but I've had plenty of black interiors, and I can tell you I've never had a problem with any one of them.

In addition, for those that really want to extend the life of their interiors, today's leather and interior protectants are so good that I have no concerns whatsoever about the longevity of black leather.

And, for those that intend on keeping their cars for decades (which I would likely never do), there comes a time when a visit to an uphostery shop makes good sense... and you might be surprised to discover just how reasonable the price is to re-upholster the seats in a car. :)

TagMan
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,414
    In addition, for those that really want to extend the life of their interiors, today's leather and interior protectants are so good that I have no concerns whatsoever about the longevity of black leather.

I wouldn't worry too much; after 13 years the black leather in my 3er only shows a slight bit of wear on one of the driver's side bolsters. The black leather in my wife's 2004 X3 still looks new, as did the seats in the 1997 5 Series we sold in 2005. I've never treated the leather in the X3, and the 3er only gets it if I feel masochistic and decide to enter a concours or such. I think the key to longevity is keeping the car garaged.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    I have always respected your taste in terms of interiors until today.

That gray interior has to be the most tackiest looking interiors I have ever seen since my old 78 Ford Granada.

Ouch! For the record, I wasn't trying to imply that gray is in any way my favorite color in cars. That combo isn't even my favorite A6 setup. My Lexus is tan on the inside, and my new Jag is a gray dash/tan seats and lower dash/doors two tone that looks very nice. Previous Jags have all been tan. I generally like tan and that "saddle leather" brown color better than all gray. I think new Audis with the single frame big mouth grill look good in white, but not the older ones. For example:

• Options
    For the record, I wasn't trying to imply that gray is in any way my favorite color in cars.

That's a relief...

Also, for the record, I have never owned a gray interior, and I likely never will. :surprise:

I think new Audis with the single frame big mouth grill look good in white, but not the older ones.

Most definately. The pic posted by esf recently is proof of that.

TM
  • Options
    The interior of my TL is darker gray (with genuine faux carbon fiber!). I like it. Evil wife's RX interior is tan (with genuine wood, so polished as to appear almost like plood!). I like it, although she/kids have somewhat abused it. I've tried to keep up, but it's three against one... Is there anything more depressing than a lollipop stuck to the leather? Or coffee stains? Or dried out American cheese? Sorry, kids. No eating in my car. If/when I get the S5/XF/XK it may be sorry, kids. No kids in my car!

Audi interiors are quite lovely. Not sure about the combo in that A6, though. Saddle leather, yes fabulous!

To each, YMMV.

Any football worth watching this weekend?

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Hear, hear to keeping them garaged.

The Texas heat and sun is brutal on both interior and exterior.
  • Options
    Tag, here is a suggestion for you. I have had several cars with black interiors. I like them and the black leather does wear well.

I usually get two sets of floor mats, the black and then a light color to switch out now and then. If you do get a lighter color try to match the lighter area of your dash if it has one. The lighter color breaks up the monotony of the all black. Also makes it much lighter inside the car. Check the look out at the dealer on any black interior. Tan or taupe seems to work well and gray is not bad either.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Thanks houdini... I've never heard of anyone doing that, but it is certainly an interesting idea to change the floor color. I'll have to take your word that it works... but I'm very good with this black/black combo, or I wouldn't have ordered it that way. In fact, I am thinking of placing a darker tint on the windows to give the car an even stealthier look.

Has anyone here ever had their windows treated with the darker tint?

TagMan
  • Options
    esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    I've never really looked at that picture before, if you know what I mean, but it's quite beautiful.

However, the A6's best interior color by far is Amaretto.

It would be nice if this shot had the wood trim, but all the Amaretto pictures with wood were either too bright (they were taken by people with flash cameras) or too large to fit.

And here is--IMO--the best interior in Audi's lineup next to the A8:

link title

As if I don't want the RS6 enough already, for its engine and looks, the interior is just stunning. Incredible. There is contrasting stitching on the armrest. They made the MMI buttons silver, just to give it that extra touch. I want this car as much as I want an R8, really.

So right now, my rankings for possible next cars are RS6 sedan, M3 coupe and M5, in that order.

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
  • Options
    No question about it, the darker windows look great on a black car. Be careful though because in some states it is against the law to have the front side windows too dark.

The lighter floor mats are just a personal preference. Some like and some don't. My wife thinks I am crazy and doesn't like them at all!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    esfesf Member Posts: 1,020
    Better Amaretto shot.

This is the A8L, but you get the point.

Of note is the fact that the A8/S8 is now available with far better wood/carbon fiber options than it was last year. That disgusting orange wood is no longer; now, you can get a gorgeous dark birch in matte finish, among others.

The 2008 A8 is really a stunner, and I've toyed with the idea several times, so I will keep it on my list. It's the S8 that I'm really after. It would certainly keep this forum alive. And, you know, that's really all I care about. ;)

'08 BMW X5 4.8i • '06 Audi A3 2.0T DSG • '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet
  • Options
    clemboclembo Member Posts: 253
    That is what I have in my A8, with Black exterior. The wood is actually darker in real life, it looks beautiful. Although not as nice as a 90's Town Car.
  • Options
    I wasn't trying to imply that gray is in any way my favorite color in cars. That combo isn't even my favorite A6 setup. My Lexus is tan on the inside, and my new Jag is a gray dash/tan seats and lower dash/doors two tone that looks very nice.

Your Lexus and Jag sound like they have perfect leather colours.
    Still I think that Audi does not look good in gray. Far better colours for Audi have recently been posted here in this forum.
  • Options
    The potential hosts for the new US version of Top Gear could be either Jerry Seinfeld or Jay Leno.

link title
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,414
    The potential hosts for the new US version of Top Gear could be either Jerry Seinfeld or Jay Leno.

I'm betting that the US version will mirror the approach of US buff books in that they will be much less inclined to bite the hand that feeds them- at least compared to the Brits(who can be wonderfully demeaning).

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Tag, if you are going to tint your window, go with those ceramic tints. They may cost more than regular ones but it is much better at blocking the heat, especially if you are going to have black interior.

I had that with my black interior, loved it.

Going to have springs installed on my car this Saturday, can't wait to see the difference afterward. :shades:
  • Options
    If only I had the chance to take a picture.

On my drive to work this morning I saw a set of decals that reminded me of this crowd..

Picture a black Nissan Z with all the street fighter type add-ons, white flames on the sides, coffee can stuck on the exhaust but on the back was a sticker running the width of the car that said 'German Race Wars'.

Now I'm going to guess that the irony (Germany and race wars) was lost on the fellow driving but it did remind of the German vs. Japanese phase we went through. I guess the only more tasteless version would be to find an M3 with a sticker reading 'Japanese Race Wars'.
  • Options
    Tag, if you are going to tint your window, go with those ceramic tints. They may cost more than regular ones but it is much better at blocking the heat, especially if you are going to have black interior.

Thanks, Lou. You are 100% right on that. Yesterday, I did a Google search on window tinting, and discovered that ceramic is indeed the better way to go. I'm really not that familiar with any of the window tinting, as I have never had it done to any car I have ever owned. I hope it doesn't interfere with the rear window defroster, and I hope it doesn't peel or have other issues with the glass.

It also seems that the expertise of the installer makes the biggest difference.

There were a number of pics that I saw, and the tint looks terrific on a black car. Houdini is correct about the amount of tint state law allows on the front side windows, and I saw some pics of cars that comply with the law, and they still look great.

TagMan
  • Options
    I am pretty sure that it won't interfere with the defroster, both my current and previous cars have window tinting and the defroster works fine.

As long as the tinting is done by the professionals then I don't think you have to worry about peel or other issues.

I am not sure what's the California regulation on window tinting (I had it done back in Georgia) but I would recommend you to go with the darkest possible within the legal limits.
  • Options
    Tinting the front window could affect radar detector performance, if that's of any concern. Back window too, I suppose, if it's a Valentine...

• Options
    I am not sure what's the California regulation on window tinting (I had it done back in Georgia) but I would recommend you to go with the darkest possible within the legal limits.

Exactly my intentions. IIRC, California requires 70% of light to pass through the front side windows, but the rear sides and the rear window can be as dark as desired. I have seen some pics of cars that comply and they look great. I appreciate your feedback on this... I certainly don't want to mess up the car in any way, or regret the decision to tint the windows. I'm now confident that it will be a good decision, and I will go with the ceramic, and stay within the State of California's guidelines. :)

TagMan
  • Options
    Tinting the front window could affect radar detector performance, if that's of any concern. Back window too, I suppose, if it's a Valentine...

As a matter of fact, I do use a V1 in every vehicle. How much deterioration in performance are you suggesting?

TM