Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    plan_manplan_man Member Posts: 97
    From the early days of the Mountaintop thread years back, with Shifty and Co., there have always been groups of posters capable, willing and desirous of allowing the conversations to amble freely where there might, enhancing the bonds and perspectives of all, and occasionally returning to the core reason that brought all the participants together in the first place (automotive opinion).

I like the format adopted here. Unlike most other tangential discussions around the Hall, participants here have come to respect each other's opinions even when not in agreement, and all have apparently grown substantially in their openess to alternative views and experiences, automotive or otherwise, or so my reading would suggest.

Going twenty or more posts without a car mentioned seems to work. I haven't the market or econ savvy of most of the crowd here, and I would often be out of my depth commenting other than in a limited way, so there will be more car posts coming from this end. Still that doesn't devalue the contributions I have read here in the least. Far from it.

Some people in here have said nice things about the TTS. And that, of course, would be my personal litmus test for validation... ;)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We need to keep this discussion loosely related, every now and then, to cars. If you have been following this topic you have to acknowledge that in no way have I been hardnosed about this. Sometimes when we wander too far away for too long, I have reminded us of the place where it is very appropriate to go too far away and stay too far away, but for the most part a whole lot of non-car conversation has taken place and continues to take place here without a peep from me.

Please keep in mind that if we had stuck to the "luxury" theme you specified in your first post, a WHOLE lot of car-related stuff here would be considered way, way off-topic.

The point is things change. We now have a place for extended (and I do mean extended) conversation that has nothing to do with cars. There really is no reason not to take advantage of it. It's really not harder to follow two discussions than it is to follow one. Honestly. Many here are already following more discussions than just this one.
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Hi Pat

Over the years, all of us get an understanding about each other..As for you, I have peaced together you live somewhere on or near the ocean in Maryland /Virginia, and I think you may have taught, therefore the very early morning awakening, and further alot of teachers are of the fairer sex...Of course that is just my speculation, so whenever I read one of your posts, that is who I visualize....Each of the other posters here ,who sort of introduce themselves, becomes an individual, and therefore I relate to them...That is why this is the only place I look forward to expressing an opinion, Over the years I have grown to appreciate your style in running this board....I too get tired of some of the topics, and have found they usually peter out on their own---and when they don`t you step in and stop them...Thanks....In the past you have expressed that you enjoy this location more than the others that you monitor, and I heartily agree with you...The others lack the substance this board does..... I hope you are enjoying the Spring and driving around in a convertable ..Tony
  • Options
    draz2draz2 Member Posts: 50
    I was seriously prepared to hate it. I was not a huge fan of the current E-class, finding it a bit small in the front, particularly in the wheel wells. And their instrumentation has always been abysmal (or worse) with entirely non-intuitive switches and buttons that are oddly placed. I've always admired M-B seats and suspensions. Their engines are workmanlike enough but not real free rev'ers and I doubt this has changed. But they seem to know how to design a suspension with just the right amount of compliance while still maintaining superb road feel and limited body lean. Anyway, I can't comment about the driving dynamics or engine of the new vehicle but, as I said, I'd assume that they're all about the same as the outgoing car's. The interior of the new car is roomy, spacious and supremely comfortable. The instrumentation is simply gorgeous and finally 'up to date' looking. All switchgear exudes a kind of quality and solidity that seems to be almost unique to M-B better offerings. Everything is tasteful and elegant in it's layout. Nothing is 'over-the-top' or garish in any way. The exterior does look a lot like a C-class on some steroids, but it's a look that I believe most will embrace in short order. Indeed, I think the 'acceptance curve' on this car will be a lot shorter and smoother than on the Bangle-ized BMW's of a few years ago. I went directly from this car to the BMW 5 series and sat in it (535xi). There's simply no comparison. I have no idea how BMW expects to sell any of these vastly overpriced cars with the E series available to the same buyers for essentially the same price. Trust me, there's no comparison. Anyway, as I compared it to my new (and much loved) 2009 Acura TL I thought to myself that if the price differential was maybe up to $7k more for the M-B I'd probably have waited and bit....but recognizing that my beauty cost $34,480 and the new E-class will probably be selling for at least $57k when equipped with leather, nav, xenon headlights, backup camera, keyless entry, push button start, ipod integration, etc. I realized just what an amazing deal the TL is. But for those of you in the market for a $55-60k mid sized sports sedan, I'd give the new E-class a real good look. I think you'll like what you see.
    This link is what scares me about Obama. He wants to control everything. The economy is like an ecosystem. Ecosystems sometimes need forrest fires and other disasters and financial markets sometimes need financial scares. You mess with an ecosystem and you can cause a lot of permnanent devastation that was never intended. We cannot have the government saying some sector is moving too fast. What the Government should do is secure the banking system with good financial policies going forward and ensure that accounting rules don't increase bubbles or make things get much worse than they should. But to set up an agenda where the Government wants to put limits on anything and everything is nuts.

What you had here is a situation where a few folks had runaway incomes because they themselves set up markets with huge betting pools of money, so they could make easy money, in some cases tens of billions of dollars with no concern for the dangers they brought to society. There's a simple cure for that. Put a very high tax rate on any income over a certant exorbitant amount. Someone makes $50mln in a year they pay a combo 75 cents on the dollar to the fed and state. They make 100mln that rate rises to 90%. No one is going to cheat a system if there is no reward. The only exclusion I'd make is a person who makes it in a capital gain from selling a business or taking stock public.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20090418/pl_politico/21393
  • Options
    rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    Tony,

You mentioned sometime back how new sneakers made a big difference in the performance of your A8. I've become aware that I can't do the same things with my Dunlops @ 3K+ miles that I could do at 1500 miles. Rated for 40K, expected 20K, will probably get new sneaks @ 10K.
  • Options
    rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    Acura should hire Bangle. He couldn't make the exterior worse on the new TL. Maybe...
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Len I agree 100 percent with you about the importance of free markets. Creative innovation and destruction is what makes free markets vibrant and prosperous. If they are not free in America they will be free somewhere else and that "somewhere else" will be where the prosperity is going to move.

But I disagree with you about incomes. No bureaucrat should determine which incomes are justifiable and unjustifiable. The only one to detrermine justifiable incomes is the market and only the market . The Politics of Envy by imposing hefty taxes on high earners is more of a curse than a benefit for any country. And here's why:

Politics of Envy Among Chimps

IN 2005, AT AN ANIMAL SHELTER IN CALIFORNIA, chimpanzees mauled former Nascar driver St. James Davis and his wife, LaDonna, while they were sharing birthday cake with a former pet who lived at the shelter.

Animal behaviorists later speculated that fairness may have had something to do with the attack. Chimps and other primates have a deep sense of fairness, researchers say. The fact that one chimp was getting so much attention while the others were getting none seems to have violated that sense of fairness. Maybe they were thinking, "What has he done to deserve that bonus?"

Geneticists tell us that chimps and humans have a lot of DNA in common – about 96%. No wonder that experiments in behavioral economics show that people are a lot like chimps when it comes to fairness. Behavioral economists have found that people, like monkeys and chimps, consistently do things that make no rational sense at all in order to punish unfairness. They will even turn down free money if they learn that someone else is getting a bigger sum "unfairly."

Like chimps, humans angry about unfairness don't stop to think things through before they bite the hand that feeds them.

The financial-services industry creates about a fifth of American economic output, more than any other business. The American people now own a big chunk of that industry, thanks to the recent bailouts. Instead of taking prudent caution to protect this valuable asset, Congress is going ape, proposing bans on valuable products and punishment for valuable people. It won't work, and can only hurt us in the long run.

The Results of Regulating Financial Markets

A ban on derivatives or a slowdown in the market, courtesy of a Financial Products Safety Commission, might prevent trading or development of such products in the U.S., but it won't have any force in international financial centers.

Considering the volume of the world's wealth now held by sovereign investment funds in Singapore, China and elsewhere, and the burgeoning financial sectors in exotic islands, it isn't too hard to imagine where the action is likely to move. A global corporation that wants an OTC swap or option to protect it against a specific risk can book the transaction anywhere. It doesn't have to be in New York or Chicago.

In China, after all, as Deng Xiaoping said, "to get rich is glorious and being so should not be punished in anyway."

link title
  • Options
    Hi Phil

I have been missing your reports....I think on any worthwhile tire, that those first thousand miles are the best, then things seem to just slowly go down from there..In my case, when I replaced them I wanted to try a tire that would be possibly quieter, but it turned out that the side wall or something like that had to be of a certaain strength, so I had to replace with what came on the car...I know that sounds like a cop out, but that is what was said...Maybe you can get a different brand as your car isn`t as heavy, but make sure to do the homework.....To enjoy your car, it makes no sense to deny yourself the tires just to be economical....I further think the new break pads would be nice...With your quick mind, I know you already figured out I washed the car today. :) ..Tony
  • Options
    The exhaust system of my BMW 335i is already making some rude fart-like noises. My 98 BMW 323i which I owned for 8 years never had issues whatsoever with the exhaust. NONE!

Despite my neverending complaints I still cant decide which will be my replacement car. For some nutty reason I still have a soft spot for this lemon of mine. :lemon:
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Dewey,

We are actually in agreement about both. I was only proposing the lesser of two evils. I'd rather him cap an income than cap a market. What kills me about that article is that it predisposes the belief that the Presidents of the US, in this case Obama, will know what to do better than anyone else and that is just plain insane. You control damage with good checks and balances, not an opinion of one powerful man, and in most cases most Presidents have shown a lack of knowledge on business and IMO Obama fits that profile perfectly. We just came thru a situation where Congress itself wanted every american to realize the dream of owning a home and what we found out is the same Government that suddenly wants to control everything, helped cause an absolute nightmare.
  • Options
    I agree.
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Please see post #1

Since you brought it up, I went back and re-read that first post. In it, you congratulated Dewey on ordering his 335i. Irony!! :)
  • Options
    I like the format adopted here. Unlike most other tangential discussions around the Hall, participants here have come to respect each other's opinions even when not in agreement, and all have apparently grown substantially in their openess to alternative views and experiences, automotive or otherwise, or so my reading would suggest.

I agree. This forum has developed a nice collegial atmosphere where debate is pleasant and opposing opinions are respected. That wasn't always the case here, but I'm glad it is now. The LL is a great board, one that would be far less interesting if it were heavily restricted to cars. That said, I know this forum is supposed to be generally about cars, and I don't mind the occasional nudge back in that direction, or having posts about camera lenses or speakers (speaking of which, Jeff Joseph's new Pulsars rock!) moved to a new forum when they get wildly off topic.

• Options
    The exterior does look a lot like a C-class on some steroids, but it's a look that I believe most will embrace in short order. Indeed, I think the 'acceptance curve' on this car will be a lot shorter and smoother than on the Bangle-ized BMW's of a few years ago.

We'll see, but I really don't picture myself falling in love with the new E any time soon. I thought the current gen 5 was hideous when it was released, and I still think its hideous. The new E is somewhat less of an affront than the 5, but its still rather unattractive. I understand what MB is trying to do with their modern interpretation of the '80s MB brick look, re-establish their quality rep that they had when the cars were still properly built. It just doesn't work for me. I don't want an '80s rehash in any shape or form. That, and the hood ornament just doesn't fit anymore.

The interior does appear richer and more luxurious than before. The last one was a bit of a hold out from the MB dark days of embarrassingly bad interior design and quality - most notably in the early last gen C and S/CL classes. The new HVAC controls in particular are a big improvement. Those cheesy old dials had to go.

That said, I just don't like the '80s style upright, blocky look. It turns what could've been a very warm and inviting interior into something cold and clinical. There's also still far too many buttons plastered on the center stack. What's with the dial pad? Honestly, who still needs that? What is this, 1991? For some reason MB and Volvo just wont give them up.

The gauges are just ok, still nothing great. The large, center mounted speedo still reminds me too much of a minivan, and the fact that MB thinks that the clock is as important as the tach says that performance is still not something they take very seriously. The secondary seat controls on the inner thigh bolsters are just a bad idea. Infiniti experimented with that briefly, and fortunately that experiment is over. The new S and especially the CL class have stunning, warm, and invitng interiors. The E's, like the GLK's, is just ruined for me with the '80s throwback look.

The engines for the US market are direct carryovers from the old car. MB has new direct injection "CGI" engines lined up for Europe, but we won't get them because MB can't get them to work on just 93 octane, or some such nonsense. Sounds like lazy engineering to me. Audi had no problem adapting their FSI engines to US spec gasoline, 5 years ago.

I'm excited about the next gen C7 Audi A6, and the next gen Infiniti M - particularly the hybrid version. I'm sure the E will probably continue to lead mid-lux segment in sales for... some reason, but I'm not interested.

but recognizing that my beauty cost $34,480

In the interests of being... diplomatic, I'm not touching that one.
  • Options
    The economy is like an ecosystem. Ecosystems sometimes need forrest fires and other disasters and financial markets sometimes need financial scares.

So.. we should go back to the boom-bust cycles every generation like prior to the depression? The general stability we had from the '40s until the gutting of regulations that lead the way to the S and L crisis, the boom, and now the current crisis is bad? If Glass-Steagall was still in place, we would not be in the mess we are in now.

There's a simple cure for that. Put a very high tax rate on any income over a certant exorbitant amount. Someone makes $50mln in a year they pay a combo 75 cents on the dollar to the fed and state. They make 100mln that rate rises to 90%. No one is going to cheat a system if there is no reward.

Come on, let's be serious here. You know there's no chance in hell of anything like that ever passing. The Republicans are going nuts over a 3% hike for people making over $250K, essentially nothing more than the Clinton tax rate. I'm sure you can imagine what would happen if a Democratic administration proposed anything like that. The south would secede, and there'd be another civil war.
  • Options
    For some nutty reason I still have a soft spot for this lemon of mine.

I don't know how you manage it. I've become quite the Audi fan/promoter in part because I like the company's products overall and their direction, and in part because I've had such a great experience with the S6. If my experience was anything like yours, Audi would be buying the car back, and I would be driving an Infiniti.
  • Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    Len I agree 100 percent with you about the importance of free markets. Creative innovation and destruction is what makes free markets vibrant and prosperous. If they are not free in America they will be free somewhere else and that "somewhere else" will be where the prosperity is going to move.

You guys have been alluding to the free markets and deregulation. I agree for the most part. However, and this is a big however. There is a trend of thought that interprets the concept of free markets absolutely. To that I say, we live in a free society with many liberties, but that doesn’t mean we can live without a military and local police forces to defend those liberties. It’s no different with the financial markets.

Give the financial industries enough rope and they’ll hang themselves and us along with them, drunk on greed and excess. Letting them off the leash is like turning a 3-year old kid loose in a candy store. He’ll kill himself on excess. We just experienced it thanks to the deregulation that Washington unleashed 10 years ago—the Gramm Leach Bliley Act and the Commodity Futures Modernization Act.

Take away our town police and we would be left with looting, robberies and the rape of our families. There has to be law and order. This doesn’t mean the financial industry can’t thrive. It was out of control, turned into a casino that was much bigger than the stock market.

The stock market is one of the ingredients that form the foundation and stability of our economy. The casino environment that Wall Street and banking became is not.

I have no problem with gambling and derivatives. Heck, I can walk up to a crap table with 20K on a night out in Aruba. I just don’t want the banking system involved with that. 20K isn’t going to break a responsible individual and if it does its his and only his problem. Could the same be said if there was no government intervention?

Ljflx, I remember a while back talking about buying on margin and you said “that’s a line I will never cross.” Well, I agree and I also believe it is a line that should never be crossed where the welfare of the entire nation is involved. AIG, and the big banks were allowed to do so.

Dewey, I say let them take that level of gambling where they please. At the same time I would like know that if they go bust, they go to hell by themselves without involving a nation that doesn’t want its well-being threatened by that level of risk.
  • Options
    So.. we should go back to the boom-bust cycles every generation like prior to the depression? The general stability we had from the '40s until the gutting of regulations that lead the way to the S and L crisis, the boom, and now the current crisis is bad? If Glass-Steagall was still in place, we would not be in the mess we are in now.

Amen.
  • Options
    What the Government should do is secure the banking system with good financial policies going forward and ensure that accounting rules don't increase bubbles or make things get much worse than they should.

I guess you are referring Sarbanes-Oxley?

I generally agree with what you are saying about the government going overboard with regulation. On the other hand they let the genie out of the bottle with deregulation and the repeal of Glass-Steagall... and here we are today. There's got to be balance and adherence to the fundamentals of economy. We didn't get to this level of prosperity without innovation and calculated risk-taking. We also didn't get there without law and order.
  • Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Put a very high tax rate on any income over a certant exorbitant amount. Someone makes $50mln in a year they pay a combo 75 cents on the dollar to the fed and state. They make 100mln that rate rises to 90%.

Our tax system is so severely screwed up it is rdiculous. Taxes are thrown at us from every level and at every turn. We pay taxes on our money we earn (income taxes)... our money we then spend (sales taxes, consumption taxes)... and then what we own from our money we have spent. (property taxes). Even if our money increases in its value, we are taxed on our realized gains (capital gains, interest income, etc.).

Beyond the over-taxation of the vast majority of us working citizens, there are absurd loopholes, typically for the very wealthy.

Any suggestion of massive disproportionate taxation just makes me sick... with all due respect. I hate any idea that penalizes success by imposing increased taxes. This is why I hate our current tax code that places higher rates upon those that do well. It is counter-productive and penalizes success instead of rewarding it.

The answer is a FLAT tax. Same for everyone across the board. It is simple and fair... something this country hasn't seen. There is always an excuse for government to dip its hand in our pockets more than it should. A flat tax will generate enough revenue, and should help to streamline the thousands of pages of absurd, distorted and dysfunctional tax code, which is a national tragedy.

Here is another example of stupidity: I have to pay property taxes on the equipment I own at my company... and not just once, but every year! This is equipment that is productive, and gives people jobs. What rocket scientist thought up the idea that the government should place a tax on productive company equipment?

Anyway... the goverment will take your money at every opportunity it gets, and will do so most when it penalizes success and productivity. That is why I cannot endorse your idea of increased taxes on increased income. I am clear that a flat tax is a better solution to taxation, and is fair for everyone. (I personally believe the proper amount is 10%).

The problem we have is with the spendaholics. Bush and Cheney spent soooooo much of our money in Iraq. Obama and Congress are throwing money around like there is no tomorrow. The military has historically sucked up way too much of our economy for years, and many of the military contracts themselves were corrupt and bloated.

There isn't a shortage of money. There is an historic shortage of brains and good policies out of Washington, and in many of our American companies. There is, however, an abundance of greed and corruption in both Washington and Wall Street.

We've been cheated and robbed!... as well as made economically vulnerable... and long before Obama ever showed up on the scene.

We are now seeing and paying a dear price for this.

TM
  • Options
    Well I certainly agree with the flat tax idea, just not on income. I personally like the idea of national sales tax and have ever since I heard Gene Burns suggest it one night on KGO years ago (though I'm certain the idea has been around for an awfully long time).

Could you imagine the life of an accountant in the absence of miles of ridiculous tax code? :surprise:
  • Options
    LG

Re your first item - we need a free system but with better checks and balances. One easy solution is that a borrower has to have risk in a transaction. Lending 95-99% of a transaction is crazy. Pushing borrowers to higher mortgages to get higher fees then selling the mortgages with no transparency is equally crazy. We lost all our checks and balances this last go round.

Re - the second - we just tried to do it on the Wall Street bonusses so it's not as outlandish as you think. But note my post to Dewey. I hardly think that's a solution but it's a much lesser evil than trying to control growth in markets.
  • Options
    I'm over the 1K mark today.

Rather than gush, which could take several pages and try everyone's patience, I think I'll relate a few tiny nigglings:

1. Bright bits: The "satin aluminum" side-view mirror housings are inconsistent with the overall design concept (they muddy up some of the clean) and a tad over the top. I would prefer having color-keyed, disappearing red ones, thank you very much. It isn't worth any real harping, but it's there. Same goes for the quad exhaust with stainless tips. Unless each port is breathing a cylinder of its own, and the stainless is required for heat dissipation or somesuch, it's a styling cue of no benefit. Hell, why any four-banger would need more than one decent tuned pipe is beyond me. Again, ever so minor a detail, but there it is.

2. Power, power, everywhere power: The rear hatch release is electrical from either the key or a very nice feather-touch switch on the driver's door. Why? What's wrong with a manual latch under the deck and a mechanical remote? I realize this is petty, like a nit on the nut of a gnat, but then again so are all of my complaints here.

3. Stow and go: I'd really like an out of sight place in the center console to stash my pen, pressure gauge, fuel log and Tic-Tacs. Mama always said: "petty is as petty does..."

4. With the key out please: Homelink does not work unless the key is in and the systems are turned on. Hardwire the damed thing to bypass so I can operate the garage door whenever I jolly well feel like it!

As I said, they're all nigglings, and barely worth the bandwidth to report them. The car is a dream come true, and more than I had anticipated (and I anticipated quite a lot).

My last ruffle is like a Waco Kid line from Blazing Saddles: "It got so that every pissant prairie punk who could hold a gun..." People seem to want to tangle with me in this toy. It's not punks in old Zs, or WRXs or tricked out Integras; they just smile and gesture politely, but most every SLK, 750, M3, etc. goes blasting off the line when they pull up next to me, and I'm not showing the slightest inclination to play. Last night I turned up Windemere Parkway on my way home (newer road, sparse traffic, pleasing pavement) and back behind me a little way some lone car turns around to follow me. About 10 seconds later, the SL550 (as it turns out to be) sails past me. Now I'm already going about 60 in a 45 (I think; could be 40), so I'd estimate it was doing at least 100. Dumbass. Now maybe he just forgot something at home, and was in a real big hurry to get it, and I'm just taking things personally, but the dumbass still applies, IMO.! Today, as I pulled onto 680 coming home from BevMo (home away from home), a purple 750iL roars up next to me in the fast lane, slows down right next to me and paces for about 10 seconds or so, and then blasts off like I'm supposed to chase him or something. The CHP cruiser that shot by me on my right shortly thereafter had zero interest in red cars...
  • Options
    People seem to want to tangle with me in this toy.

Welcome to the club.

To put this in some perspective, though, I got comparatively very little of that when I was in the Carrera S. That car simply commanded bucketloads of respect. Hardly any challenges or folks trying to show off.

With the 135i, however, it's a whole different story. It's more like what you describe with your Audi. The car is a magnet, yet doesn't get the same respect that the Porsche gets.

I'm fairly certain that there are drivers out there that have absolutely no idea that there are twin turbos under the 135i's hood, putting out 300 hp and also 300 pounds of torque... they just think that they can size it up and then try to show off. Sometimes they are probably just curious. Well... I must admit that I get stupid once in a while, and just can't resist putting a few of 'em in their place.

:shades:

TM
  • Options
    Well... I must admit that I get stupid once in a while, and just can't resist putting a few of 'em in their place.

I imagine I'll cave on occasion. :blush: On paper there aren't all that many players that can take the Audi in a fair fight, but I certainly didn't buy the car for that. I can see the Carrera S having a solid effect on would-be jokers, I can indeed.

BTW, one rave I have to throw out there is about the seats. These are without doubt the most comfortable, supportive and close-fitting seats I've experienced yet. Though the longest drive so far has only been about an hour and ten, I find there is no hint of fatigue or even a need to wiggle at all, and the good fit and firm bolstering inspire confidence.
  • Options
    Really glad you are liking the car so much.

So... did you spend that first night (or part of it) in the garage? Y'know... sitting in the car for a long time... and then walking around it for a while... and then sitting in it again. Checking out everything under the hood, and even crawling under the car to peak at what's underneath. Then finally trying every single knob and switch, while listening to the sound system. Playing with the NAV. And finally, reclining the seat back and just hanging out for a long while.

You get the picture... C'mon, admit it. You did spent a lot of time that first night in the garage, didn't you?... LOL. I know I sure did! ;)

TM
  • Options
    Bright bits: The "satin aluminum" side-view mirror housings are inconsistent with the overall design concept (they muddy up some of the clean) and a tad over the top. I would prefer having color-keyed, disappearing red ones, thank you very much. It isn't worth any real harping, but it's there. Same goes for the quad exhaust with stainless tips.

All S cars get the aluminum side views and quad exhausts. Just go with it, Audi fans will dig it :)

I'm surprised by the 750 challenges. It must be different out there in CA, because I've never seen a BMW 7 driven aggressively around here. Most are the same as the typical Lexus LS on the road. Whenever I see a car flashing its lights, weaving between lanes, and tailgating, its always an M3.

Despite what Top Gear currently thinks of Audi drivers, I've never seen an Audi driven in that manner. What I really enjoy is following a minivan or Buick up an entrance ramp at the usual 30mph or so. Provided traffic is clear, I can dart straight into the left lane, and hit 75mph in less than two seconds. Not enough speed to get me in any trouble, but I can still open the taps on the V-10, if only very briefly. :)
  • Options
    BTW, one rave I have to throw out there is about the seats. These are without doubt the most comfortable, supportive and close-fitting seats I've experienced yet.

Indeed, Audi seats are good stuff. The Recaros in the S6 are superb.
  • Options
    You get the picture... C'mon, admit it. You did spent a lot of time that first night in the garage, didn't you?... LOL. I know I sure did!

First night? Try just about every night! ;)

At first it was getting to know her, and now it's just to look, or perhaps clean a kamikazee bug corpse off the grille, or maybe spruce up the windshield, or...

One other goody I'm enjoying that I did not plan on at all is the MP3 capability. I was never one for downloading music; never had the interest or really the time before, but at some point I found myself looking for a way to get more classical programming than just the local FM station that can't be received cleanly on this side of the Caldecott (no satellite radio in the old car). So I had purchased an iPod a couple of months back, and was using the aux in on the old car and the new. Then I got the bug to try swapping out the files to MP3 format and loading them onto SD cards. Behind the Audi's LCD screen, which rotates down at the push of a button ( very Bond, James Bond), there are three slots: one for the DVD and two SD card slots. I formatted a couple of cards with playlists of varying natures and have been enjoying them ever since. Fully integrated and very convenient, and something that meant absolutely nothing to me when considering the car!
  • Options
    "Any suggestion of massive disproportionate taxation just makes me sick... with all due respect. I hate any idea that penalizes success by imposing increased taxes.

Tag,

But that's exactly what Obama wants to do more and more of. It's why he will do a world of hurt to small business in the US if he adopts this policies. Lost in all the talk about high income is how guys like Ken Lewis of B of A give up so much of their lives to make the income they earn. Does Obama expect folks to have that level of dedication if he caps income? He's nuts if he does. Does he expect folks to take risks with small business if we are headed back to pre-Reagan absurdly high end tax policies. Funny but I was watching an early episode of "All in the Family" recently and a rich relative of Archie Bunker wanted to hoard something because he said the money he earned to buy it was taxed at 70 or 75% incrememtally. Scary thought, but I'm sure if he had his way Obama would go back there.
  • Options
    Indeed, Audi seats are good stuff. The Recaros in the S6 are superb.

I had to look at the media gallery. The are quite similar in appearance to mine, which are apparently lifted wholsale from the R8. The ample bolstering has a wonderfully cocooning effect and holds you nicely through curves. Really stellar.

As for the brightwork, well signature bits may be signature bits, but IMO they fail to add anything of substance. Again, it's not an item for ire, just the lunatic ramblings of an obsessive new owner spending waaayyy too much time with his car...
  • Options
    Well... I think its fair to say that Obama conforms to the same stupid tax perspectives that most Presidents and members of Congress have shared for generations. Some have said differently (hence, "read my lips..."), especially when campaigning, but in the end not a single one of them has really done a damned thing to revise the insane tax code. I guess I should give a little credit to Ronald Reagan for trying.

And... the IRS is an entity that defies a full legal explanation.

Wealth destruction is just plain stupid policy. Excess entitlements are just plain stupid policy. But, as I already posted, the real problem is much deeper, and the level of corruption and special-interests in Washington have hijacked our governement to the point of near total dysfunction.

It is no surprise that we are in the situation we are in. It was inevitable. It was the road we've been on for years. We just finally reached its destination... and now we are faced with no easy road back out... and many idiots in our government continue to stay on the same path.

There is enough blame to go around between all political parties. I used to be a Democrat, and many years ago I became a registered Republican. Now, after the latest rounds of Bush/Cheney, I am ashamed to be a Republican. I want to be an Independent or something else because I am so incredibly disappointed in our leaders in Washington. I am also very disappointed in the way so-called successful Americans who run some of the largest corporations have literally robbed and cheated the American public just as much as our government has.

Again, Len... there is no shortage of money. There is a huge shortage of integrity in Washington, DC., and the guts to do what it takes to put this country on the right track. There is, however, an abundance of greed and corruption... and that problem exists from Washington to Wall Street.

Obama has reasonable levels of integrity, I'll give him that... and he has noble goals, but he thinks he can tax and spend a path to a solution... he is too liberal, and ultimately he will realize that he is surrounded by snakes... which is another reason I am out of the market right now. I don't trust the situation.

TM
  • Options
    Plan_man, thank you for getting us back to cars.

Perhaps the rest of you can help us continue.
  • Options
    Pat... I am confused here... and I think others might be as well.

Most of my recent posts have been about cars, in discussion with plan man, since you referenced him... and then I have also included some posts that have been with an ongoing theme about the economy in this forum for quite a while. The economy seems to be an interesting discussion to most here... and it certainly does relate to the auto industry in general anyway.

With all respect... do we, or don't we have the freedom to talk about this? I am just not sure any more.

TM
  • Options
    After a few pages of mostly non-car discussion, I am just asking that we take a break and get back to cars. I asked for this a bit ago and it didn't happen. My post was not directed to any single member. It was just that I had read another group of almost all non-car talk and the placement of my post was nothing more than logistical.

As I said in my recent post, we need to keep things in this discussion at least loosely related to cars. We haven't been very successful at doing that lately.

And as I have said countless times, you are very free to have these political conversations completely unbothered by anyone saying "keep it to cars" if you will just take them to the right place.

Thanks for asking and for your understanding. :)
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    And, it is now snowing

Small world. ;) Last week I was literally covered in snow in the Pyrenees. Four snow feet in four days. Tremendous skiing, nice walks, enjoyable evenings and careful & exciting driving. Now the season is over though the mountains are white. :cry:

Here are some pics. Some more in Album

Regards,
    Jose

PS: I've lost my breath catching up with the 150 posts I've found yesterday. What a productive crew is around here! :surprise:
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Jeff Joseph's new Pulsars

Thanks for the info. I have to renew my home music setting, this new Pulsars seem fantastic and not too bulky (I'll have no dedicated room for the setting).

Regards,
    Jose
  • Options
    dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    I'm jealous jose
  • Options
    My Goodness Jose`

Beautiful----and my wife really enjoyed the 328 hard top convertable, while they replaced the sun roof and all electronics that were damaged by the leek, so on the occasion I drove the car I could appreciate yours, Howard`s, and Dewey`s cars, although Dewey has had such bad luck with his...Tony
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I have to renew my home music setting, this new Pulsars seem fantastic and not too bulky (I'll have no dedicated room for the setting).

You're quite welcome. My Pearls are absolutely stellar, every guest who has ever heard them has told me that they've never heard sound that good in their lives. The Pulsar is basically the head section of the Pearl, with the bass cabinet removed. Other high-end monitors worth taking a look at are the Talon Hawk, Piega TC10X, and Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M. All are very different but very good speakers.

Send me a message if you'd like to talk more about this stuff.
  • Options
    Jose,

How sweet it is!

TM
  • Options
    Jose, nice photos!

328 coupe is on my shortlist. Funny thing is, my fleet is the same as it was in 03 and it will be staying that way for a while. That's one way of beating the market. ;)

BTW has Doc Fill been around? Brightness? Oac? Merc1? Remember Monday Mornings with Merc?

Dewey has been having a lot problems with his 335? Sorry to hear that. I see he's just as unpredictable as always in terms of when he's going to show up around here. I should talk. :P
  • Options
    m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    And threads been going way too fast forward I decided not to read whatever I missed :P

I've been assigned to a foreign branch in Indonesia for the next 2 years, never thought moving can be a seriously pain in the neck process (bills, visa, passport, bills... visa... bills... the usual drill) :P
    I'm no fan of this reassignment, but there's good money in it (a healthy 55% raise for 2 years, and permanent 20% raise from the time I go back, owww yeah...)

This way I'm sure I can get my hands on the upcoming S5 cabrio when I get home, or perhaps even a 911? Can't wait already :shades:

Upside? Well, besides the money there's a free apartment and car (a Camry that cost a heart stopping $55k!!!!). Yeah a Camry cost north of 50k here and is considered a quasi-luxo car. What about something like..err BMW 530? Yours for a mere $95k here. :surprise: Oh and food's darn cheap here, approx. $10-15/day for a full course meal (unless you eat at 5star restaurants 3 times a day).

Downside? Internet here is painfully slow, traffic jam's worse than NYC on new year's eve, there's more smog than LA and NY combined, and (gasp...) it floods like hell here. Oh well, I'll bear with it, thnk about the money... think about the money.... just dont think of anything else :P

Anyways, did I miss anything significant???
  • Options

Of course!......... not. ;)

Welcome back... and good luck with your assignment.

TM
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Nice Pix, Jose! Also, it's nice, indeed, that the 335d can track well in the snow. Hope you enjoyed the white stuff!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options

You will definitely miss that girl, Dre! :cry:

Also, a lot of rant regarding the failing GM and C stories surrounding the UAW, et al.

Good luck on the other side of the World! :D

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    This way I'm sure I can get my hands on the upcoming S5 cabrio when I get home, or perhaps even a 911? Can't wait already

Or maybe combine the two and get an R8? :)

Best of luck in your new, albeit temporary, home.
  • Options
    Perhaps we can still look forward to the luxuries we all appreciate and enjoy the next energy bear market in the coming years. This is an interesting bit of info.

One idea still has the power to capture imaginations and markets: it is that commodities like oil, copper, grains and gold are all destined to rise over time. Lots of smart people believe that last year's swoon in commodities prices represented a short pause in a long-term bull market.

It's a view rooted in powerful and real trends, like the growth of China and India, the decline in global reserves (many of the world's biggest and best oilfields are tapped out), fears over resource nationalization (independent oil firms now control only 20 percent of global reserves) and long-term underinvestment in energy and agriculture, which hampers supply.

Yet the fact is that the world has faced all these issues before, and for the past 200 years, commodity prices have been trending downwards, thanks to new technologies, greater efficiency in extraction and the substitution of one commodity for another (which explains the high correlation between commodities prices).

Bank Credit Analyst, a research firm based in Montreal, has data showing major industrial commodity prices are 75% below where they were in the year 1800, after adjusting for inflation. Despite all the worries over "peak oil," the fact is that the major bear markets in oil have been demand, rather than supply led. And when demand eventually picks up, there's usually some new alternative (nuclear energy, natural gas, green technologies) waiting to pick up some of the slack.

The real price of oil today is now at the same level as in 1976 and, before that, in the 1870s, when oil was first put to mass use in the United States. This long-term price decline is due mainly to the constant discovery of new fields and greater energy efficiency, making nonsense of the idea that the world is rapidly running out of oil. The experience of the 1980s is instructive in the current context as well.

Japan and Europe continued to grow strongly in the 1980s, and yet oil consumption remained essentially flat through that decade as both the regions strived to achieve better fuel efficiency and switched to alternative sources of energy, such as nuclear power. Similarly, 90 percent of the growth in new oil capacity since 2004 has come from biofuels, synthetic oil and natural-gas liquids. As countries get richer, their per capita consumption of commodities declines. It's a myth, then, that the boom in China and India will inexorably drive up oil and other commodity prices.

At some point, of course, commodities will spike again, but only temporarily. To date, the centuries-old slide in prices has been marked by long bear markets and short bull runs. Data from CSFB shows that the average bull market in oil has lasted from four to nine years, and the average bear market from 11 to 27 years. The bull market that ended last summer saw prices rise tenfold over nine years, mirroring the duration and magnitude of the previous bull market, which ended in 1979 (see chart above). That was followed by a bear market that lasted 20 years. If history is any guide, we're only at the beginning of another long one.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Hey, its been a long time, just curious? Are you a Diplomatic?

I plan to visit Indonesia, Thai sometime this year.

Actually you did miss many things.

Dewey still hasn't made up his mind that which will replace his lemon 335i, yet he finds an excuse to keep it ;)

Tags 911 is gone.

Gary1 got himself a slightly used S550 4matic for $61k I think

I remember you were the 1 who had info about X6 twin turbo heating problems, especially for the inline6, well, any new news? You also mentioned that the V8 had a revised turbo, which made me really confused :confuse: