Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    I kind of like it!

link title

TM
  • Options
    rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    I completed my new vehicle survey awhile ago & now just received a follow-up comparison survey.

They chose 4 models that compare to the S5: BMW 3 series, Lincoln MKZ, Audi A6/S6 & Infiniti M.

I can understand 3 series, but think they should have specified coupe.

Don't know or care about MKZ, but is there a coupe?

A6/S6- Who cross shops these with a coupe from the same company?

The M...is there a coupe version I'm not aware of? Wouldn't the G be more comparable?

Who are the wonks behind the keyboard that put this survey together?

My personal fave is the hybrid section. It basically asks if I cross shopped with any hybrid.

Sure, wanted a luxo, cruiser/performance coupe & also looked at a hybrid?

My fave part is the last question; If I didn't buy a hybrid, what's the primary reason? Survey has a very small answer block for that one.

It's going to require additional paper. ;-)
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    They chose 4 models that compare to the S5: BMW 3 series, Lincoln MKZ, Audi A6/S6 & Infiniti M.

At least the 3 series, A6 and M are all available with Sport packages and V8s, so there's some sense of them being comparable. But the MKZ? Really? Shouldn't that be cross shopped with a DTS and a LaCrosse?
  • Options
    I'm tempted to scan & post this survey. High on unintentional comedy...
  • Options
    cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    On the link below, you will find the rankings of super luxury cars (priced above $60K) from U.S. News and World Report. The rankings are based on in depth analysis by U.S. News editors of all published auto ratings, reviews, and test drives. Enjoy!

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Super-Luxury-Cars/
  • Options
    Surprise?
    A decent news publication with their opinion about cars is entertainment. Read a different publication and get a different opinion. Lexus number 1?... Sure... Depends upon the criteria. Best handling? No. Quiet and reliable? Yes. Most luxurious? Not in my opinion.

Hey... Ford is doing great, ehh? ;)

TM
  • Options
    Tag, they took everything into consideration. They looked at 104 reviews and test drives. They admitted that it was not the best handling, but other criteria pushed it to the top.

Yes indeed! Ford is doing very well. All my stocks are doing great. Len's 10,000+ Dow by the end of the year will become a reality. Everything now points in that direction.
  • Options
    On the link below, you will find the rankings of super luxury cars (priced above $60K) from U.S. News and World Report. The rankings are based on in depth analysis by U.S. News editors of all published auto ratings, reviews, and test drives. Enjoy!

Not that surprising really. It says in plain English that the LS is pretty soft and not a car for those interested in handling. I do think that "white-knuckle acceleration" for the A8 is a bit of a stretch, unless one gets white knuckles rather easily. I like the A8, but it really isn't all that fast. The S8 is sure, but not the standard car.
  • Options
    No matter what anyone says, I cannot give the #1 spot to the LS. Cannot see it.

I do now think Len's 10K Dow is very realistic. Glad you bought Ford... I am buying more at the next big dip, if there is one.

TM
  • Options
    I do now think Len's 10K Dow is very realistic. Glad you bought Ford... I am buying more at the next big dip, if there is one.

BTW, It's not like I did not think months ago that a 10K Dow would not happen by year's end. I totally agreed with Len, and if anything I was a bit more bullish because of my faith in Obama to lead us out of the greatest economic collapse since the Great Depression. But Len definitely gets credit for actually predicting a specific 10K Dow by the end of the year. Now don't ask me about that damn Crude Oil. I don't get it. I still think it will go on its rear end sooner or later. There has to be incredible manipulation and corruption taking place in that market.

I am thinking that I will double up on Ford at either around 6.50 or 10.5, whichever comes first. I think it will be 10.5.
  • Options
    tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    ...super luxury cars (priced above $60K)...

That's what's surprising! They consider something costing $60K "super luxury?" :surprise:
  • Options
    That's what's surprising! They consider something costing $60K "super luxury?"

My question is, did they consider super luxury cars like the Bentley or the Rolls or were these in a different category altogether?

That aside, I am of the opinion that there is quite a bit of merit on this study by U.S. News and World Report. After all, they looked at a "zillion" reviews and test drives. I also realize that a primary reason the LS460 came in at number 1 is because of its reliability. Now you see that Len and I are not so dumb for choosing the LS460L :D .

Speaking of Len, where in the world has he been lately? We need his stock market and economy update right about now. I have a feeling I know what he is going to say...."10,000+ Dow by the end of the year and as long as Bernake is the Fed Chairman, the economy will continue to recover". He has more faith in Bernake and I have more faith in the overall leadership of Obama. Now I'm sure he is going to respond :) .
  • Options
    I also realize that a primary reason the LS460 came in at number 1 is because of its reliability.

Hmm, I read more about 'predicted' reliability. ;)

Was reliability the primary reason you chose the car?

BTW, I wouldn't consider anyone dumb for a purchase they are quite happy with. :)
  • Options
    Was reliability the primary reason you chose the car?

BTW, I wouldn't consider anyone dumb for a purchase they are quite happy with.

Reliability was certainly a factor, but other factors included high tech options, comfort, safety, appearance, and as noise free as possible.

I was obviously joking about using the word "dumb".
  • Options
    BTW, I wouldn't consider anyone dumb for a purchase they are quite happy with.

Definitely true. Even though I don't put the LS as high on the scale as many others, there is nothing dumb about purchasing one if it makes someone happy. Clearly, Charlie and Len appreciate their LS. And, it was clear that Charlie was jesting with his remark... as it turns out, he has purchased a car that gets high praise.

Now, if we were talking about ME getting one... THAT would be dumb... LOL!

Hey, how's that property search going? On my front, I've got a little fixer I'm trying to get that is two blocks from the beach... entry level Malibu... but still between 1.5M and 2M. Horrible pricing, but it will get even higher once the economy improves. I think the clock is ticking for those who want to get the really great real estate deals. Don't wait too long.

TM
  • Options
    Hey, how's that property search going?

I think you may have me confused with the poster, who's handle I can't remember right now, that recently purchased an Audi TT-S that also lives in SoCal?

However, I have been snatching up various properties over the past several months. ;) I'm pretty much finished with that & pursuing other strategies now.

BTW, nice tip on Ford long ago. I got in just under 3 & dumped at 8. Nice pocket coin. :D
  • Options
    I think you may have me confused with the poster, who's handle I can't remember right now, that recently purchased an Audi TT-S that also lives in SoCal?

Yeah... I was totally zoned out for some reason... "Plan Man" was who I was thinking about... I'm pretty sure he lives in Alamo... in Northern California (Alamo is a very nice nice upscale East Bay community). I think he's been looking at snapping up some property in Pacific Grove.

I have been snatching up various properties over the past several months.

Where?

BTW, nice tip on Ford long ago. I got in just under 3 & dumped at 8. Nice pocket coin.

Thanks... I tried to share with everyone here. I'm now thinking of taking the original investment out very soon and letting all the gains go for the rest of the ride... not totally sure yet. Glad you did well with Ford. :)

TM
  • Options
    I'm sort of all over the map. A couple of houses here in Charleston county, SC, a couple condos in PCB, FL, couple more houses in Ashton, MD, some mountain plots in WV (right on the MD border), & a nice house with plenty of land in Cleveland, MO. This last one turns out to have a small fortune in natural gas. Bonus! :-)

With Ford, I considered waiting longer, but didn't want to get too greedy. I think it'll keep doing well until Clunkers ends. At that point I'm guessing some gains will be lost as car buying comes to a screeching halt.
  • Options
    This last one turns out to have a small fortune in natural gas.

Ha... what did you do?... tap into the municipal gas line? My property has one of those, too. j/k. Lucky deal... so many deeds nowadays exclude mineral and petroleum rights.

I think it'll keep doing well until Clunkers ends.

I think it will start to level off soon and show a slower steady growth. I don't want to tie up too much money on a sideways stock... except for WalMart... which I consider an important component of every portfolio. :)

TM
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Speaking of Len, where in the world has he been lately?

Was in South Carolina for two weeks - Mrytle, Pawley's Island and Charleston. I ate too well too at places like Greg Normans, New York Prime and Divine Prime. Was astounded at the amount of ocean front real estate for sale. Still looking to buy land down there (we have several friends in the area) but didn't yet pull the trigger. This market with buys like Ford, Toyota, GE, CBS at $3, Citi at 97cents etc was probably a once in a lifetime chance at stocks like that and real estate is still on the backburner for me.

Charlie - no change in my thoughts of Obama. We're rising in spite of him, not because of him IMO. The guy is so anti-business. I don't agree much with CNBC but on that one I do. On oil - dollar should get stronger and speculators are going to get tired of seeing such poor demand week after week and start dumping for better returns elsewhere. This is a recovery without oil demand increasing IMO. Cuts in headcount and product lines making companies more efficient will give tremendous incremental margins driving earnings. That's how I felt when I said Dow 10K and I feel all the more sure now. Oil demand should slowly kick-in as unemployment slowly comes down sometime next year but I see it as a very slow increase at that time.

The GL450 was very comfortable and a great ride for the trip. Averaged 19.5mpg back and forth on I95. Was hoping for 20mpg but that may be beyond it's ability. In the GX I averaged just over 20 a year ago. One great difference with the GL is its bigger size keeps the center console nice and cool. The GX gets hot in that console on such long rides.
  • Options
    The guy is so anti-business.

I'm starting to think otherwise. For example, decreasing small business capital gains tax to 0%. Interesting. And, I also think that the cash for clunkers program has been a good move for a little business stimulation. In addition, environmental programs have historically turned out to be a good situation for business, not the burden that some used to claim.

real estate is still on the backburner for me

I think you might be able to purchase stocks and real estate at the same time. You really should take advantage of the real estate situation if you can. It's a rare opportunity.

This is a recovery without oil demand increasing IMO.

I think it's safe to say the prices never fell off the cliff like you thought they would. But, you are probably very right about the Dow reaching 10K by year's end.

Any current stock tips for the rest of us? I am going to be looking at various sectors next week... I might try purchasing (and selling) with that approach for a few weeks.

TM
  • Options
    Charlie - no change in my thoughts of Obama. We're rising in spite of him, not because of him IMO. The guy is so anti-business. I don't agree much with CNBC but on that one I do.

Len, I respectfully disagree about your views on Obama and his policies. I really think that the policies are already starting to "pay dividends" on the economy. It would be boring if we agreed on everything :) . One other thing....I can't stand some of the reporters/analysts on CNBC.

The GL450 was very comfortable and a great ride for the trip. Averaged 19.5mpg back and forth on I95. Was hoping for 20mpg but that may be beyond it's ability. In the GX I averaged just over 20 a year ago. One great difference with the GL is its bigger size keeps the center console nice and cool. The GX gets hot in that console on such long rides.

I am really looking forward to the time when my wife and I take a long trip on the RX450h. I really enjoy driving that car.
  • Options
    I think it's safe to say the prices never fell off the cliff like you thought they would. But, you are probably very right about the Dow reaching 10K by year's end.

Tag, isn't the jury out yet on the crude oil market? Yes, it has not fallen off the cliff to this point, but it is a long time between now and the end of the year. I believe that Len's prediction of crude going back to the $40s could still come true over the next 5 months. I don't think he necessarily said that it would get to that level by August 10.
  • Options
    I sure don't want to bring this back to the front burner again, but the prediction was a long time back, and Len has already said that he was off on the prediction, due to probable market manipulation that defies common sense and fundamentals. I agree that there have been other factors interfering with the price... creating unnaturally high prices... but nonetheless those prices remained high in spite of everything else.

I could predict that the stock market will take a dive, and I would eventually be right about that, wouldn't I?... because at some point it will indeed do so... just a matter of time.

Len's prediction for the oil was shorter in time than his prediction for the stock market, which was a year-end prediction. I think his stock market prediction was awesome. I only saw the market at 9K +/- at the end of the year... so he gets lots of credit for his market prediction, although we will need to hope that nothing negative impacts the market before year's end.

BTW, I meant to chat with you about Ford. I just recently sold my positions, because I had made a hefty amount of profits, and I don't want to get greedy. My broker and I tend to see Ford going sideways for a little while at this level, and I will definitely re-invest in Ford again in the future, if it's price should somehow drop enough... because I believe it would return another favorable gain should that happen. Long-term, however, I have little doubt that Ford is a great investment.

Also, I am becoming more and more convinced that Obama is doing a very good job. :)

TM
  • Options
    BTW, I meant to chat with you about Ford. I just recently sold my positions, because I had made a hefty amount of profits, and I don't want to get greedy. My broker and I tend to see Ford going sideways for a little while at this level, and I will definitely re-invest in Ford again in the future, if it's price should somehow drop enough... because I believe it would return another favorable gain should that happen. Long-term, however, I have little doubt that Ford is a great investment.

Also, I am becoming more and more convinced that Obama is doing a very good job.

I saw that you were selling your Ford stock on an earlier post. Since, I don't own that much stock (500 shares), I am willing to stick it out for the longer term. I will add at around $6 and also at about $10.50, whichever comes first.

We are in total agreement on Obama.
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Well, your trades made you money. Investing is quite another thing regarding Ford. It's not that eventually they might become a good investment but it depends on your time horizon.

Great play, BTW! I appreciate your candor and hope you give more tips!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    How is it that you have escaped to your last two speeding tickets? Was the judge empathetic with you and your lemon BMW?

The judge dismissd the case because the policeman did not show up. I was going to use my lemon BMW to stir up some sympathy but that was not required. :P

Relaxed? Yes
    Happy? Yes

So far no new speeding tickets with my Prius.

For a 8 mile stretch I got 70MPG. Though in most cases I am getting below 52 MPG EPA figures I am still very happy. I know with more experience I will get better mileage..

Wish you the best on your South African Safaris. I just came from my Manhattan urban safaris and saw some interesting wild life in the Central Park Zoo.
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I am in the throws of thinking about possibly getting the Mercedes E diesel when it come available.....At this time I do not plan on taking another fifty to sixty thousand dollar hit, and am thinking that I may not loose as much money on the diesel as I might on a hybrid...The size of the E should be fine for me....I really do not like the fuel though--as just the smallest amount makes for a stink for the rest of the day, and eventually works it`s way into the steering wheel, therefore I might have to get a wooden wheel if possible...I would prefer a leather covered one.....I was wondering if anyone had different ideas on this thought? Tony
  • Options
    Tony,

A couple questions:

1) Is a diesel pump more problematic than a gas pump with regard to dripping as opposed to smell? I always go the extra mile not to spill a drip of gas on me or my cars & never had a problem. Never used diesel though..

2) What hybrid/s are you cross-shopping with the E diesel?

With regard to which choice will depreciate faster is a valid concern. IMO, the higher the tech in the car, the faster it'll become obsolete like a pc. Hybrids appear to lead the way in techie devices.

That being said, when the time comes that you can upgrade software on the fly in new cars (& I don't know if anyone has done it yet), tech loaded cars should retain their value longer?
  • Options
    First full day of vacation, and it's absolutely beautiful here. Posting will probably be very limited until I'm back on the 24th. I've been on the lookout for cars, but so far nothing more than the occasional 911 Turbo :)
  • Options
    Hi Phil

Thanks for the response :) It really isn`t the drip of gas or diesel, but the tiniest diesel vapor or what is on the handle of the diesel pump from multile previous users....believe me , for some reason diesel smell gets on your hand..

I really am not cross shopping any hybrid cars vs diesel...Just thinking right now....The diesel is something I understand and it gets a long life and good economy ( I haven`t researched the oil changing frequency) I think the Mercedes to be an attractive car, and it`s size is right for me, therefore the thought of one to replace the Audi when that time comes....I haven`t seen anything else right now..that`s why I was asking this board for opinions.....Tony
  • Options
    gfr1gfr1 Member Posts: 55
    I hear that the ULSD fuel is much less offensive all the way around, though I haven't had the experience. And, many use the disposable medical gloves, at least on the pump hand. I think the E-model diesel is a very good option. Ideal size and lots of range, which is my strongest selling point. The available 3-series BMW, available in the U.S. has too small a fuel tank for me, plus being a little small, anyway. At my "advanced" age, I just dislike the depreciation of all the luxury vehicles, otherwise, the E-model diesel fills the bill. -- GR
  • Options
    2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    Tony, my two cents,I think diesel is the right choice for you given you drive your car on long trips to FL and back. I think you also prefer German sportiness, so the E sounds about perfect for you.
    Why don't you go to a gas station that sell the new diesel and see if it still stink as you know it.
    We all know car values depreciate big time, especially the luxury ones, so it just a matter of what priorities you have for your monies. Only you can decide what is right for you.
    Btw, what is the real estate situation in FL? I am still looking for a good deal there for investment/vacation in good location.
  • Options
    Definitely go for the E Class diesel.

AWD Blutec E Class Touring is what would stir my interest but your balmy and mostly sunny location does not dictate having AWD instead of RWD.

I in fact own an 1983 version of that vehicle and if resale values were a consideration then I cant think of a better car since the MB 300D is one of those rare models with increasing resale values instead of decreasing resale values.

But if you hate the stink of diesel then you will have to wear a gas mask while driving my car. For me diesel fumes stirs happy nostalgia of a past when green meant money and not the environment.

I love my Prius and I know my Prius would be too qwerky for you. My next car may be a Nissan Electricall Leaf. I am really getting addicted to those electrical charges at least more so than those diesel fumes.
  • Options
    Dewey,

Are you enjoying all the high tech options on the your Prius? Do you have that solar powered moon roof and if so, how does it work? What about that lane assist option?
  • Options
    Thanks----Jose mentioned using the disposable glove, and I think I will give the new fuel a sniff test, although I don`t have much hope for a change......I agree with all of your other points, although my wife likes the 3 convertable...Tony
  • Options
    Everyone got punished in Florida real estate---as you know---from the vantage point I have it did not take a genius to know it was going to end badly...I think at one time I saw twenty eight cranes, and now a number of those fifty -forty story building are sitting empty, or almost so....I was fortunate to have purchased when I did, as it was just before the prices exploded, so I would think if I were to sell I wouldn`t loose anything....I really enjoy it in Miami, so selling will be an event if I were to get some deadly disease...

I personally think this is a wonderful chance to get something , and even if a person were to just trade up-- where ever they were to live----I think everywhere the prices are way off from their tops---so if you were to want something in the Miami area the deals are very good for an owner.......Right now I would not be a buyer to rent, just to own and enjoy.. if you get my drift :) Tony
  • Options
    Greetings Dewey

Very proud of you taking the plunge on the Prius---and I would too if I didn`t pretty much just drive longer distances, and rarely around town--I walk--

I always think of you when either I see a policeman ( immediately slow down) or the older Mercedes 300 d....We have been having the ending electrical problems with my wife`s bmw sport wagon (stationwagon) the ones that came from the leak in the suntop...Just the radio and sat. thing, but a pain for her......One more time and my goose is cooked.....She may want the Lexus hybrid rx. but I am saying nothing...We`l see. Personally I just think if I were looking for a used car and a Mercedes diesel were available (used) I would not have reservations buying that, where as the suv type hybrid would give me secon thoughts-----When I got the Audi I really didn`t think that it would depreciate so much (they all do) therefore I don`t think I am going to go that route again.....Your Prius won`t give you anything like that even if it went to zero :) Hang in there, as it sounds like you are a `happy camper` now Tony ps I sure hope Laurasdada is coming along
  • Options
    Tony,

One can tell a lot by how and what people write on these forums. And I have to say that you strike me as a kind and gentle human being.
  • Options
    Wasn't someone looking at R.E. on HI? Well, looks like discounts abound.

Home sellers in Honolulu have been reducing their asking prices, according to a new report from real estate marketing firm Trulia.

In its latest report released Friday, data shows that 32 percent of listings in Honolulu have seen price reductions from June 1 to Aug. 1.

The average reduction in Honolulu was 10 percent, in line with the national average. The local price reductions cut $49.7 million from the asking prices of local homes on the market.

The median selling price of single-family homes on Oahu in July was $595,000.

Luxury homes, those listed at $2 million and above, are feeling the brunt of the price cuts, as an average of 14 percent is cut from the original asking price, according to Trulia.

Jacksonville, Fla., was No. 1 on Trulia’s list of cities experiencing price reductions, with 38 percent of active listings having lowered their asking price at least once since June.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Interesting that they raise prices....

Model MSRP MSRP Increase Percentage Increase

IS 250 - 6MT $31,845 $540 1.7%
    IS 250 - 6ECTi $33,015 $540 1.7%
    IS 250 - 6ECTi AWD $35,475 $540 1.5%
    IS 350 - 6ECTi $37,295 $540 1.5%
    IS 250C - 6MT $38,940 $450 1.2%
    IS 250C - 6ECTi $40,110 $450 1.1%
    IS 350C - 6ECTi $44,390 $450 1.0%
    IS F $57,760 $1,000 1.8%
    SC 430 $67,505 $700 1.0%
    RX 350 FWD $37,250 $450 1.2%
    RX 350 AWD $38,650 $450 1.2%
    RX 450h FWD $42,110 $450 1.1%
    RX 450h AWD $43,700 $450 1.0%
    LX 570 $76,405 $550 0.7%

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Thank You ....Tony
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    You lucky dog, you. We vacationed on Lakes Como & Maggiore in the late 90s & loved it.
  • Options
    Interesting that they raise prices....

Lexus does that every year, and I think it's a fairly common practice in the luxury car business. Much more interesting I think is that supposedly the SC has been saved from execution. Originally it was to be eliminated with no replacement, with the IS convertible sort-of-but-not-really filling in the spot where the SC used to be. Now they are saying that the next SC will be a "back to the drawing board" redesign. Good thing too. The drawing board used to pen the SC430 should be burned at the stake.
  • Options
    When I got the Audi I really didn`t think that it would depreciate so much (they all do) therefore I don`t think I am going to go that route again.....

The bigger the Audi, the harder they fall. That goes back all the way to the orignal Audi V8. The exception is the S/RS cars, which do much better in terms of residuals than any AMG.
  • Options
    They actually lowered their prices big time in Canada in the last couple of years due to the foreign exhange rate fluctuation.
    Also, it maybe the price for continuous improvements...
  • Options
    Thanks Tony, I would just put it low bids on anything I found there then. I think as the stock market recovered, the RE will follow, especially those for vacation purposes.
    I did read some where that some building has 1 unit occupied :confuse: :surprise:
  • Options
    Interesting.
    Toronto already has its RE recovery. I sold my old home for a small profit with ease in May. Now I live 1 block from a bunch of car dealerships, BMW, MB, Jag & RR, and a Volvo store. It's so tempting seeing the beautiful M cars everyday, but I think FL property is higher on my priority list for now.
  • Options
    My wife's BMW 5 has had quite a few electrical issues but based on her dealership this is not due to water damage around the sunroof. The issues with her car are gaining momentum as her warranty exprired.

This car of hers will not be for keeps. I dont know what her next car will be?

Yeah depreciation for any luxury car makes me yearn for a luxury car that I can keep for many years. But thanks to the complexity of all those electronics and features in luxury cars long term ownership is as pleasuarble as a migraine headache.

Oh yes I know about the leasing alternative but this alternative does not avoid hefty depreciaton costs.
  • Options
    Toronto real estate is complacently overpriced and be prepared to buckle your seat belts since Toronto right now has among the highest (real estate price/income) ratio in all North America. Real estate prices can only remain sustainable if there is enough income to sustain such ridiculous pricing. And that is not the case.

Many people I know in Toronto still believe that Toronto real estate prices will double within the next 10 years That will only happen if income doubles and in that case we will have hyperinflationary financial crisis.

Sounds like your area is inThornhill west of Steeles?

My mother is a Thornhiller and I used to be before I moved more south (South Leaside).