Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    Today I was at a grocery store and I bumped into a Audi service employee who serviced my Audi 4000S privately from his home (for the sake of his livelihood I will not mention his name) back in the 1990s.

This is a fellow who worked at Audi for over 3 decades and what did he tell me when I told him I was thinking of getting a Audi Avant (A4 or A6) for my wife?

DONT!
    Since 5 years ago the Audis he has been repairing have been quite problematical. I did not ask which models and what kind of problems these models had since he was in a rush to go.

OK now I know this is highly anecdotal and there are very few details about what specifically he meant but after my BMW experiences I think I wll pass on all German cars for now. I know that sounds absolutely irrational and paranoid but right now I just cant taste another serving of lemonade especially premium priced lemonade. :lemon:
  • Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Agreed about burning the SC430 design....but odd that at one time, my wife could see me driving one! :surprise:

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Here's the options on my Prius. The packages are different than in Canada. Love the solar sunroof especially during days like these when the ventilation stays on while I leave the car.

* JBL Audio System
    * Bluetooth Capability
    * Integrated XM Satellite Radio
    * 6-Disc CD Changer
    * 8 Speakers
    * Remote Air Conditioning
    * Integrated Garage Door Opener
    * Power Moonroof with Solar Panels
    * Front Passenger Door Handle Touch Sensor Lock/Unlock
    * Auto-dimming Rear View Mirror with Integrated Backup Camera
    * Drivers Footwell Lamp
    * Passenger Footwell Lamp

I dont have the lane change or any type of option that increases driver passivity since I like remaining the "King of the Road" and no computer feature is going to take that away from me.

All my previous cars had cruise control and I never used that feature once. With my Prius I use it on the highway since fuel efficiency increases and that is the only reason I use this passive feature. Also the lack of a manual transmission does not bother me as much as I thought it would since a manual tranny Prius is unlikely to be a passion booster.
  • Options
    I would think their shrinking market share would call for a slightly different pricing strategy. Most of their designs have been paid for already, don't you think?

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    I will only buy real estate to live in and enjoy as a home.
    So far I always found better investment opportunities than real estate.
  • Options
    I would think their shrinking market share would call for a slightly different pricing strategy. Most of their designs have been paid for already, don't you think?

Not the way the way the US$ has been dropping against the Yen. They still need to maintain their margins by at least raising prices a bit.

Dropping prices on luxury marques does more harm than good. Mystique and low prices are like oil and water. The only way low priced luxury works is if it is marketed by a non-exclusive marque like Hyundai as a sedan or coupe that has all the bells and whistles without the stratospheric prices. A proposition that may work in this day and age. My doctor bought a Genesis sedan after driving a Jaguar XJ.
  • Options
    2001gs4302001gs430 Member Posts: 767
    I think we discussed how some Lexus models hit homers with women's taste in cars. My wife saw a white SC and she liked it instantly without even knowing what car it was.
  • Options
    Yep, I am east of Bathurst and west of Yonge St. I left the pricy Toronto to become a Thornhiller. It is just one street north of Steele, but my car insurance bill dropped 25% :D . Where exactly is South Leaside? (must be close to the Post Rd?)
    I don't care about investing in RE in Toronto either, but I do think there is some good deals in Fl.
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Hi

There are good deals all around---but for a second place remember to look around the Ft Lauderdale area also....The discount planes go and come there, so travel would be cheaper, and some of the smaller beach areas near there should be a bargain....This whole area is huge and remember there are just hundred of neighborhoods, so be extra careful to look in a desirable area so when the time comes to sell that you will be well positioned....Tony
  • Options
    I am more than 2 km away south from those 17 million $ Versaille look-alike palaces on Post road. I am south of Eglinton.

A Prius on a Post Road Driveway would look absolutely preposterous when each home produces more emissions than a large cattle farm.
  • Options
    Excellent tips to consider. Thanks!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    All my previous cars had cruise control and I never used that feature once. With my Prius I use it on the highway since fuel efficiency increases and that is the only reason I use this passive feature.

As you get more used to the vehicle, you will be able to beat the cruise control's mileage based on the feedback in the display. The trick is to continually optimize the instantaneous fuel economy read out and drive it like a large ship, slowing gradually to maximize regen braking, and practice acclerating under electric power only as much as possible (easier to do on the Fusion, but still possible on the Prius).

I guess if you can twist the definition of passion enough, you can call eco-driving a passion. I appreciate the sacrifices you make to reduce your carbon footprint.
  • Options
    When I test drove the new Prius, the sales person mentioned that he had the driven the prev gen Prius hard trying to wreck its fuel economy, and the worst he could do over 1 week period was 2mpg over the rated figure :surprise: so I guess the you can routinely beat the rated fe if you drive with care.
    Btw, I saw the price structure of the HS250, starting at CAD 39K. That makes it about 13K more than a Prius and 10K more than a Hybrid Camry. One side of my brain said that's not too bad for a Lexus, but for no logical reason, the other wants to justify the price difference as well ;) so I hope to see it in person soon.
  • Options
    Well, Dewy, here is some news for you. Looks like Toyota is take a leap ahead of it's competition. 2015 is not that long to wait.

Toyota announces breakthrough in lithium-ion battery technology
    08/18/2009, 2:50 PM
    By Drew Johnson

Toyota may not be at the forefront of electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle technology, but the Japanese automaker announced on Tuesday that it has developed a new technology that will greatly improve the storage capacity of its next-generation lithium-ion batteries.

Although Toyota is keeping mum on the technical details, the improvement stems from the production of single crystals of lithium cobalt oxide. Toyota jointly developed the new lithium-ion technology with Japan’s Tohoku University, according to Automotive News.

Toyota failed to reveal how much more powerful the new lithium-ion batteries will be compared to today’s crop of lithium-ion batteries, but Japan’s Nikkei business daily speculates the breakthrough could net a ten-fold improvement in battery performance – potentially setting the stage for electric vehicles with a range of 1,000 miles. Additionally, the new technology is said to weigh less and take up less space than lithium-ion batteries currently under development.

It remains to be seen when the new technology will be available in a production car, but Toyota has often stated it would wait on electric and mass-produced plug-in hybrids until battery technology became more viable. If the new technology pans out, Toyota could have it to market by the middle of next-decade.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    Thanks Circle. This is very exciting news! I am already making plans to buy my next Lexus with this incredible technology.
  • Options
    I appreciate the sacrifices you make to reduce your carbon footprint.

I am still learning but believe me this is no sacrifice on my part. My Prius is like Easter without Lent. Gluttony without fat. Booms without busts. No single auto enthusiast will believe my words but believe me I am a Prius enthusiast!!!
  • Options
    Good luck with the Lexus HS250. That car may be just for you?

In my very extreme view any car that burns more fuel than mine is a sacrifice no matter how sporty it is. Everytime I see a Ferarri I cant help but feel amused for the driver whose so oblivious on how foolish he appears in downtown traffic . VROOM, VROOM , VROOM at 7 MPH. I just hope that driver's wearing his helmet. ;)
  • Options
    Perfect timing! If the fourth generation Prius is going to have this battery then I will definitely trade in my car for a newer Prius.

So far I spent $35 on gasoline during the first month of my Prius ownership. To pay a premium price for a car with better mileage may not make much economic sense in my case.

But if this new battery is a mainstream offering at a non-premium price then a future Prius would be hard to resist.
  • Options
    Actually, I believe you. My CR-V proves you can still carve out roads with the best of 'em and get mileage in the 20's. Not excellent mileage but the total pakage is awesome for $24.5 K. Hardly luxury, however.

How does your Prius work on steering/handling?

You are a pioneer on this board. Hopefully, BMW will make a green mobile very soon that does not mimic your 335i experiences with quality.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    O W Hi

That`s way out there, like five years, so they may be trying to take away G M ` s thunder, particularly if they bring the Volt in alot cheaper than they have alluded to.....This sort of stuff is why I have been thinking of the diesel, as a better alternative for me....I would think a person would give serious thought on buying a older model hybrid, with all the potential changes in the air all the time...

Another thing I have been doing lately is flying to Miami --instead of driving....Man it is soooo much easire, even after the security check stuff and being herded etc....I don`t care what type of a car you have ---big or small----eight hours of driving is a pain for anyone.....You may be able to tell I just flew down here :) Tony ps They will have a direct flight this winter, and that will rally make it for me.....
  • Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Sorry, I barely have time to post lately, but I don't see what the big deal is about having a hybrid. There's nothing new about them any more. Fairly commonplace. In fact, at least three members of this board have one. We've had our Ford Escape Hybrid since last year. Charlie has his RX Hybrid, and Dewey has his Prius.

Having a hybrid vehicle is just a sign of the times, IMO.

TM
  • Options
    That is awesome battery tech. I hope they will make it backward compatible, so that early hybrids can use them too. Thankyou Circlew.
  • Options
    They are hoping to sell 25K copies of the HS per year. Also, Lexus is offering a sport package on this puppy on top of all the toys, so it will be a different hybrid. The only thing left to be desired is that new battery in Circlew's post, then I think we will have quite a complete package don't you think?
  • Options
    Yes I agree there are tons of hybrids cars out there, so it is nothing new. However, I think the competition will create a lot more interesting hybrid choices going forward.
    Btw, what's your take on the new battery report, is this the nano tech stuff you posted earlier?
  • Options
    How does your Prius work on steering/handling?

Oh please dont even ask. :(

One time when I was distracted in an engaging conversation on bIuetooth I almost drove off an exit ramp thinking I was in my BMW 335i instead. NEVER AGAIN!!! Unless I buy a new BMW. ;)
  • Options
    No big deal . None whatsoever.

But in my case it is like exploring another planet after driving cars that are so different. If I traded in a Toyota Matrix for a Prius then maybe it would not be such a big deal for me.

I just found out at Toyota services that my garage door opener is incompatible to Homelink and as I was there the Toyota service fellow who himself drives a 2000 BMW 325i was in disbelief when I told him I sold my BMW335i in order to get a Prius. "Unbelievable, you cant be serious?" is what he said.

I never got my car serviced at a non-luxury car dealership ever. Even in the 80s when I drove a Ford Granada I got it serviced at some place called Joe's Auto Garage.

At Toyota I did notice how spartan the place was. But what I also noticed was how efficient and fast they were. I got out the door without even enjoying a gulp of my coffee. At BMW I spent a lot of times sitting on a massaging chair trying not to spill my many cups of coffee with every vibration.

It takes about one or two weeks to make a non-emergency services appointment at BMW. At Toyota they ask you at what time today do you want to come in. I am telling you I do love this new non-luxury lifestyle. ;)
  • Options
    If Toyota does introduce a battery that is years ahead of the competition then both Toyota and Lexus will kill the competition. It's that simple! The destiny of any car maker will be determined by their batteries and not by their performance and handling.

In the old days luxury was about size and power. Now things are somewhat different.

Article from Wall Street Journal:

The 2010 Mercedes Benz E550 coupe feels like a time traveler that landed by accident in 2009 when it was aiming for 2004. It is enough of a gas guzzler to qualify for the government's "cash for clunkers" program.

The problem, for Mercedes, is that you can also get collision-warning systems that apply the brakes (at least partially) in a car like Ford Motor Co.'s Lincoln MKS. You say the Lincoln isn't in the same league? Maybe not. But depending on how you equip it, it's also roughly $15,000 less than a loaded E550. Electronic gadgets such as radar-assisted cruise control or blind-spot hazard detection are falling down the technology-cost curve so fast that premium brands have only slits for windows of exclusivity on much of this hardware.

The longer-term challenge for brands such as Mercedes and Lincoln—and Lexus and Cadillac and BMW and all the rest—is whether American consumers' values will change.

The mass-market Detroit and Japanese brands have no choice but to hope that an ever-larger share of American car buyers stop equating "premium" with 400 horsepower and relatively low fuel-economy scores, because the forthcoming 35-mpg fleet fuel economy standards will make it difficult for companies such as General Motors Co., Toyota Motor Corp. or Ford to sell a lot of overpowered gas guzzlers

link title
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    Still having no problems with the S6, and I still think the Q5 is the current segment leader. Most of the more reliable evidence (ie not based on one guy) seems to indicate that Audi is doing much better now than 5 or 10 years ago. I've heard of a few teething issues with the new B8 A4, but they are nothing like the problems with the B7 when it was first released back in '02. Similarly, the C6 A6 had some mostly very minor issues in the first year, while the '98 C5 car would fall apart if you so much as looked at it.

Frankly, at this point I would be much more concerned about a new XF or XJ than any Audi, and that's a sad statement because it seemed like they were finally starting to make quality machines. Even the long term press XFs have been falling apart, and the glove box opens only on weekends and holidays.

The new Infiniti M37 and M56 look very interesting, and are likely to be some of the most reliable cars (luxury or otherwise) on the road.
  • Options
    I think if BMW and Audi started offering their midrange, ~200hp V6 diesels here, they could do very well. The cars would have perfectly adequate performance, superb fuel economy, and zero cargo room sacrifices. Offering the X5 35d and Q7 3.0TDi is a mistake.

An A4 2.7TDi would mop the floor with the HS250. It would look like the A4, drive like the A4, and get 35mpg. The HS looks like a Corolla and drives like a Corolla.
  • Options
    A new Audi in my wife's life or should I say my life?

I just discovered that the Audi S4 is priced similarily to a BMW 335xi in Canada. This to me is a compelling bargain since I think the S4 is more car for the money.

My wife loves my Prius even more than I do. So I may give her my Prius and after selling her BMW 530xi I will buy a Audi S4 conditional on the test drive and overcoming my angst over German cars.

I owned an Audi 4000S and the services were hellish in Toronto. In fact I managed to nail a service represenatative that tried to charge me a hefty amount for something that he did not even do. :lemon:

I agree about the Lexus HS. It's not my cup of Saki.
  • Options
    rockshocka1rockshocka1 Member Posts: 310
    Wow! From buyer beware to short list?

From full on hybrid embracement & enjoyment to considering another German performance car?

Does Favre live in Toronto? ;-)

I think LG has hit it on the head re Audi. It takes time for the quality rep to trickle down. Years..

Last time I peaked at CR in grocery store, most Audi models lacked the full black circle for reliability that I remember them having many for. Several reccomended, but no full red circle yet.

Just another 'one guy' example, but no troubles with my S5 for 9K miles...so far.

Best of luck & please post your opinion of the car/s that you take a look at.
  • Options
    Very Amusing! That answers my question perfectly!!

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Hah! I knew you'd come back to us. They always come back. From what I've read, the S4 rocks. It's as quick or quicker than the 335xi in a straight line, and in a class of its own when the road gets twisty. The supercharged 3.0L is more efficient than BMW's TT, but of course it's no Prius in that department. I suppose you could just buy a second Prius.
  • Options
    reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    Could not agree with you more lexusguy. I, too, have a S6 (a 2007 bought in late 2006) which is now 3 years old. Zero issues. Just had to replace my brake pads and rotors which is normal wear, but does not come cheap on a car like the S6. My 2005 A8L W12 has had no problems other than the trunk motor which was replaced under warranty, and of course brake pads and rotors (again not a cheap proposition on this car). My TT 2.0T which I put tons of miles on (19,000 in one year) has only needed oil changes and nothing else. So I am not concerned about Audi reliability. Audi is one of the best. Of course, maintenance out of warranty is quite expensive so I always recommend caring a high quality extended service plan. I am doing that on my A8L and S6. EasyCare Gold is excellent for luxury cars, but quite expensive around $5000.00 or more, but covers almost everything on the car.
  • Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    Hi,

You really had a change of mind, I guess you had enough of the hybrid in a very short time :P

From Audi warning to buying 1 for yourself :surprise: :shades:
  • Options
    Here you go, Popular Mechanics was already doing that actual comparison. This is a very informative. I suppose you can replace the BMW with Audi and the out come would be the same
    link title

My only problem with the Diesel is that it's good on gas only at freeway speed. The HS will burn less gasoline in city crawl than the diesel at idle. Also someone already commented that the cost of bringing diesel to NA is just too darn expensive, and no one here wants it anyways. :surprise:
  • Options
    New Audis are still rare sights in Toronto from my daily observation. I guess that contributes to the level of dealer service or lack of. I agree the S cars are nice, but I found the regular ones are just too plain. The last time I look at their Canadian pricing structure for properly equiped car is just insane.
  • Options
    Let me assure you Favre is not in Toronto though most people think I am him. ;)

I am neither brand loyal or disloyal (except towards the BMW brand which was very disloyal to me). The Audi S4 priced like a BMW 335xi is compelling indeed. I love the S4 car but not the Audi brand itself. At least not yet.
  • Options
    Based on statistics the reliability of BMWs are pretty damned good even when compared to Audi.

After my experieinces I've come to the conclusion that most BMWs and Audis are as good as Lexuses or Infinitis but will always fall short based on large surveys when compared to Lexus. Why? Because among Audi/BMW statistics there will always be some very few horrific lemons that will hold back their national survey ratings despite the fact that most German cars are pretty damned reliable. Somehow those lemons are hidden behind those favorably good Audi/BMW statisitics .German marques will only be good but will never be excellently consistent in terms of long term reliability statistics as Lexus is because a Lexus lemon is as hard to find as a living DoDo bird. A German lemon? I already know a few of them.
  • Options
    Sounds insane doen't it?

One man's insanity is another man's car enthusiasm. ;)
  • Options
    The Audi S4 and Q5 are exceptions in Canada. Relative to the competition both Audis are priced in a way that explains why Audi's sales in Canada are increasing double digits during recent months despite the slowdown.
  • Options
    Gentlemen,

Don't miss this opportunity to buy stocks that have tremendous upside. AIG and Citigroup are two that have been helping my portfolio. I just recently added Hartford (HIG) to the mix. I suggest you check it out and witness its huge upside potential. There are others as well, such as Lowes, which just took a beating, and is poised for a comeback down the road. Beaten down housing stocks, like Toll Bros. will eventually pay back nicely... once the housing market improves. And, Wells Fargo and Bank of America are also doing well for me.

Whatever you do, buy AIG and Citigroup... Massive upside.

TM
  • Options
    cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    Tag, I'll make a deal with you. I will buy AIG and Citigroup if you buy Ford once again :D . Seriously though, the market has been quite resilient in spite of all the doom and gloom people out there. I may pull the trigger on your recommendation.

Wells Fargo has also been doing well for me as well.
  • Options
    Yep, my portfolio is up 15% for the year due to these financials alone. I am hoping they can go back to the level before last October. :D:D:D
  • Options
    Move over Toyota....

Even greener: BMW to launch most efficient 3-Series ever in Europe
    08/21/2009, 9:27 AM
    By Andrew Ganz

If it seems like you’ve heard it before, it’s because you have: BMW has taken the wraps off of its most fuel-efficient 3-Series ever, the 320d Efficient Dynamics. Capable of 68.9 mpg in the European combined cycle (about 57.4 mpg U.S.), the 320d features a turbocharged 2.0-liter diesel engine and will qualify for significant tax cuts – amounting to just £35 annually in the United Kingdom.

In June, BMW announced the 316d, the automaker’s new entry-level model, that reigned as its most efficient 3-Series ever for less than two months. The 320d Efficient Dynamics serves as a higher-end model than the 316d, however.

The 2.0-liter four-cylinder puts out 163 horsepower between 3,500 and 4,200 rpm and 266 lb-ft. of torque from just 1,750 to 3,000 rpm. BMW says the sedan will hit 62 mph in 8.2 seconds before topping out at 137 mph with the standard six-speed manual transmission. The automaker says that, because of the hefty torque curve, the 320d will be able to accelerate from 50 to 75 mph in fifth gear in just 9.6 seconds.

Other changes include a lowered suspension, special aerodynamic alloy wheels and Michelin EnergySaver tires, a longer rear axle ratio, a dual mass flywheel aimed at curbing engine vibration and BMW’s full range of Efficient Dynamics technologies, including auto start/stop, brake energy regeneration and electric power steering – all of which have been included on four-cylinder 3-Series sedans in Europe for almost two years.

Emissions are down, too, to just 109 g/km, which blows away the 118 g/km of the 316d.

BMW says that pricing should pretty much mirror that of the 320d SE, which retails from £26,680 in the U.K. The standard 320d puts out an extra 14 horsepower and accelerates to 62 mph in 7.9 seconds, but its fuel consumption is down to 58.9 mpg (49 mpg U.S.). Expect dual-zone air conditioning, parking sensors, BMW’s “Professional” radio/CD, a leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel and Extended lighting, as well as 17-inch alloy wheels, to come standard.

The 320d Efficient Dynamics will be officially unveiled next month at the Frankfurt Motor Show.

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Impressive... Great for those lucky Europeans, as usual.

TM
  • Options
    james27james27 Member Posts: 433
    Europe's had numerous highly efficient turbo-diesels for a number of years. The German brands don't bring them in. For example, the Mercedes E-class has several available 4-cylinder turbo diesels that can get up to 60mpg, but Mercedes is looked at as a luxury car here, and putting a small 4-banger diesel in it just won't match their image they've created. Just like you can't buy it without all sorts of things that are optional most other markets...selling a stripped car with a small, efficient engine just doesn't match their US image.

Plus, even though we've cleaned up our diesel, the stuff available in Europe is cleaner, and their newest engines wouldn't last here...they'd get all clogged up. As a result, in both the gasoline and diesel versions, we end up less efficient (with fewer contaminates, they can use different catalysts and get up to 10% better efficiency on the same engine).

So, we'd need to continue to clean up our fuel.

Also, their refineries are configured to produce more diesel fuel. In ours, we produce more gasoline, and diesel is more of an afterthought. That's one reason diesel ends up costing more in the winter...it's competing with fuel oil for heating. That isn't anywhere near the issue there.

Someone said earlier that a diesel doesn't do well at idle...it's my understanding that a diesel excells at idling compared with a gasoline engine, so there shouldn't be as big a penalty in stop and go verses highway; especially if it is more stop than go. Since they produce so much torque at lower rpm, moving from stopped should be better as well, since the rpm's a likely to be able to stay lower.
  • Options
    Funny how the U.S. is so far behind in car tech, fuel tech and just plain efficiency tech....and common sense.

Go GM! :cry:

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Looks like the market for luxury goods has a few less customers here in the States due to the recent financial meltdown...

Rise of the Super-Rich Hits a Sobering Wall

Oh well, a few less Porsches need importing! ;)

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    Hi all,

I came back from South Africa yesterday morning after 23 days since leaving home. A highly interesting and partially enjoyable experience.

It has been a highly interesting tour because of the people I met, the wild animals I could watch so closely (lions, leopards, cheetahs, elephants, rhinos only two meters away from me; many others just a bit further away) and the landscapes I saw, including those of the southest points of Africa and the shore of the Indian Ocean.

It has been also distressing because I've looked closer enough into the eyes of the bare poverty, not only of many black South Africans but also of the more than 4.5 M of other Africans who are illegal immigrants in South Africa through a border impossible of being controlled. South Africa for them is the closest land of hope and freedom.

To keep with the forum subject, I can say the cars I saw in SA are very much the same I am used to see here in Europe — the quotas of diesel Audis, BMWs and MBs included.

And, there is a couple of SA sayings related with BMWs, which I was told is the most highly appreciate brand in South African popular imaginary. :P

"BeMyWife"

"BreakMyWindow and take me home"

I will post same pictures later, including a few not related to cars if Pat allows me to do so. ;)

Regards,
    Jose