Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• sarge836sarge836 Member Posts: 12
    Not too sure, could be cat converter, you can take it to auto zone and they will check the computer or the engine lite issue at no charge and that may give you a better idea. Sounds like it's getting hot then giving you the trouble. Could also be the sensors on your exhaust too. Good luck...Jeff
  • cc757cc757 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1996 JGC 4.0 that has started stalling. It has gotten worse in the last 2 weeks. I have replaced the idle air motor, the throttle position sensor. No vacuum leaks, all grounds appear to be good, no corrosion. Going to check the low temp thermostat in cooling sytem, crank postion sensor. I have read some posts where people have taken the PCM computer and sent it out to have it rebuilt. Does anyone know where or who to send this to??? This is driving me nuts.
  • bradpansbradpans Member Posts: 3
    My mechanic replaced the starter and coil and did not have the problem since.
    Thanks bradpans, I just got back from my mechanic's shop and he replaced the temp sensor on top of the H20 pump that talks to the fuel system. I drove the car for about 10 miles. No surging at idle or stalling yet. We may be on to something. I will have him double check the starter and coil again. CC
  • texgkingtexgking Member Posts: 6
    My 2001 GC 4x4 v-8 would stall at any speed. Every time it stalled the fuel gauge reads empty, wait for 3-5 minutes and the fuel gauge would register the full tank and it would start right up every time. I changed the CPS, ICS, cleaned and replaced battery terminals, none of this cured the problem. Next I replaced the TCM and the problem went away.
    Now my 98 6cyl, 2WD GC Laredo with nearly the identical problem, The fuel gauge reads empty (tank is full) and it will not start. It has not been ran for over 2 years. I've clean connections and checked the fuses and relays, nothing helps.
    There is something with the GC's that does not allow the fuel gage to register. I assume something somewhere is not functioning properly and not allowing the fuel gauge circuit which also must include the fuel pump from operating.
    In a previous post I was informed the fuel pump and gauge gets their grounds thru the TCM. Replacing the TCM did cure the 2001 but that's an expensive "trial" for my 98.
    Anyone have a workaround to isolate the actual problem? ]

We thought the 98 was out of gas, sitting so long and all, but after adding about 2 gallons it was overflowing. There must be a way to bypass the TCM fuel pump control to determine if that is actually the cause. Sure wish we could make the fuel gauge operate normally when desired.
    Anyone know if the TCM from the 2001 GC v-8, 4x4 will work in a 98 GC 6 cly? I would like to try my old TCM in the 98, at least it wouldl start and run for awhile.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    g
    After chasing our tails for weeks and replacing sensor after sensor, I had a guy come to my mechanics shop and hook up special diagnostic equipment just for the Jeep. He found nothing. As he was walking away from the car, it stalled. He left the key on, and hooked up his equipment, nothing....the computer or PCM was shot. So I bit the bullet and got a new PCM and the car runs fine. SAVE YOURSELF THE TIME AND MONEY AND START WITH THE COMPUTER, THEY ARE ALL DEFECTIVE AND WILL DIE ON YOU EVENTUALLY. THESE THINGS GO BAD AND DON'T SHOW ANY CODES. THIS WILL CAUSE ALL KINDS OF HAVOC WITH VARIOUS SYSTEMS AND WILL DRIVE YOU NUTS TROUBLESHOOTING. YOU WILL SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF HEADACHE. Forget about quick fixes... zip ties, backing out screws and all that, it won't FIX the REAL problem which is a faulty design by Chrysler....and they know it. I personally will never own a Chrysler product again. By the way, does anyone want a nice used Jeep??
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    its only 13 years old should probly have the original tires on it
    is that supposed to be funny?? get a life
  • jeephelpjeephelp Member Posts: 1
    It has been a few months from the time of your posting; I hope you some how get this message. My jeep is doing exactley what yours was doing; did you find the problem and how was it fixed?
    Hi tmpga,
    I had the PCM (computer) replaced. So far so good. It's only been a couple of days, but it hasn't even tried to stall. I put a more detailed post up on 07 April. I had a guy come out with some Jeep specific diagnostic equipment. He hooked it up and found nothing. No codes. A couple of times HIS computer screen blanked. After he disconnected, the jeep stalled. While the key was still on, he hooked back up to look for codes and got no readings at all from the computer. (Bad motherboard so to speak) So the computer was shot and I got a new one. $400 bucks. If you go down that road, DO NOT use Auto Computer Exchange from Davie Florida. I have heard nightmares about their products and customer support. Good Luck
  • kimjones1kimjones1 Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Grand Cherokee idols VERY rough and accelerates slowly from 0 to 60. Once I get her above 60mph she is happy.
    There is also the smell of rich gas.
    We changed the fuel filter and filled it up with gas treatment and premium gas. Helped a little but did not fix the problem.
    Could this be the o2 sensor?
  • finisherfinisher Member Posts: 6
    1996 Grand Cherokee 4.0 engine. Over the past 4 - 5 months engine will hesitate/stall for a split second and then continue running fine. Some days problem will not occur at all. Occasionally at stop light engine will stall and restart w/o a problem. Hot or cold does not matter. Flat ground or climbing a hill does not matter. Example: While traveling at 65 mph with the cruise control set, engine will stall for a split second and then continue running fine. Lights, gauges, radio, cruise control set light will remain on and when engine restarts cruise control remains on and speed is maintained without resetting cruise control. New plugs, rotor, cap & wires. Check engine light does not flash or remain on. Any ideas? Dennis
  • jewlsjewls Member Posts: 3
    My husband just bought this 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee. He knew that the sellers were having problems with it and they showed him all the things they had done to try and fix it lately. He still thought it was a good buy. We now have a "Headache"...or lemon!! The problem is, you can drive for an hour, even two hours. BUT if you stop for a minute the jeep starts spitting and sputtering, it then shuts off. You have to sit there for a good 10 minutes to restart it. It will restart right away but it will spit and sputter. After 10 minutes it starts fine. We checked the ecu (computer), supposedly it's fine. He just replaced the ignition coil (chrysler told us to) didn't seem to help. He did say that it runs a little better now that it's changed (or so he thinks). We are leaving for vacation in a few weeks (over 800 mile drive) and we have two small children. We don't want to be breaking down on the side of the road.

There have been many things replaced but I will have to get a list. He just drove 3 hours away and called me to tell me that he had to add transmission fluid twice because it keeps running out and shutting off. I guess it sprayed all over the underneath of the Jeep, all the way up the back window! (The transmission has been replaced recently). Could it just be a seal bad? Another thing, he just mentioned the check engine light is on and flashing. We are going crazy over this whole situation!!

PLEASE someone help us!!! :sick:
  • jewlsjewls Member Posts: 3
    I am just curious to see if you have figured out what is wrong with your JGC? I have the same problem and can't seem to find whats wrong! Thanks!!
  • osornioosornio Member Posts: 1
    It is a mystery to me, and it seems a mechanic and local dealearship as well. Here is my story.

I have the V8 engine 2wd and it's a 2004 Jeep Gran Cherokee, it has about 73k miles and has been great ever since I bought it.

I would say about almost a year ago the car wouldn't start out of the blue in the morning. I turned the key, all dash lights came on and when I turned the key nothing happened dead silence. No engine turn over or clicking nothing but silence. I thought the battery was dead so I tried turning the front ligts on (was still dark outside) and they were bright. I took the key out and tried again, nothing. Then I tried one last time and vrooom! started like a champ.

I just thought to myself that was odd, anyway weeks went by no problems. Then happened again a month or so later (varying from 10 minutes to 20 min won't start after several tries), with almost identical results. I have also tried putting it in neutral and pressing brake with no results. Long story short, I have replaced the battery (made sure amperage was correct for that car), I replaced the starter and had a mechanic and local dealer look at it but both say they can't find anything wrong with it.

Here are some clues and more experiences I have had. More recently the car would not start in the a.m. but this time 4 hours later and it would still not start, so i called the tow truck who tried himself and wouldn't start. He towed it to local mechanic and of course it started on first try there.

The mechanic checked the starter relay and it is functioning fine. Lastly i notice a pattern, if I leave the car parked for more than 2 days without starting, then the 3rd day it tends to not want to start. Just yesterday the car wouldn't start in the morning so i took another car to work, when i came home it still wouldn't start until the fourth try turning the key vrooom! no problem or hesitation.

If I start the car every day it starts more often with no issue but it is not gauranteed just left often. I am asking if other people have had this issue or if anyone has any ideas?

I am honestly at my whits end of what to do to get this fixed.

Thank You
  • cozalukcozaluk Member Posts: 1
    i have a 94 gc.. and have replaced everything. coil, ecm, fuel filters, plugs, ignition switch, distributor cap and rotor.. and now it shuts off while driving, sometimes restarts , sometimes doesnt, yesterday and today drove fine to sons school went to restart to leave NOTHING. cranks over. but no start.. dont know what else to do. someone told me crank shaft sensor. or ignition module. after about 30 minutes in will restart.. HELP
    i would change the ignition switch could have bad contact inside
  • sufe70sufe70 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 JGC 4.0 with 118k. In Dec. she began giving me a no start issue.Very random. She would crank just not fire.Once I cranked it and stepped on the gas she would fire right up but would not hold idle. I could double peddle and get her going and once moving she was fine at stops she would idle.It did this 3 more times over a month period. I then parked it for the winter.
    Recently I began looking into it again.I replaced the battery because it died over the winter and was 6 years old. It cranked but again would not start unless givin gas.And would not idle until I held it at a steady RPM for a minute or so then slowly released my foot. I also noticed that if I stomp on the gas, when she decelerates she stalls out or bogs down to about 300 RPM and climbs back to about 750 RPM. I'm thinking TP sensor. I am not getting a engine light or any codes.I would think if I have a sensor problem I would be getting a code. This is really troubling. I also have now been hearing chirping from the cargo area leading me to question the fuel pump.Could the pump be making noise because it sat for a few months? Or is it most likely a sign it needs to be replaced?
    Thank you for the reply. Last week I changed the crankshaft position sensor and the problem has not come back. It is fairly easy to change. I had to get under the vehicle and remove the old one which is located on the driver side on top of the bell housing. Mine (1996) was held on with one 11 mm bolt and had a electrical connection located behind the distributor. Good luck.
    Just found out today by dealer that My 99 JGC is on a recall for OBD issues.
    Said most likely that is why I am not getting any codes for my Jeeps problems.
    He said the PCM gets bad data at some point and goes into sort of a state of limbo.It may still communicate with the engine and sensors but stops giving out diagnostic codes to the driver.Or it will give you a code but you'll never be able to clear it even after making the required repairs.
    I have heard many on here who were sold new PCM's and I am begining to wonder if all they had to do was contact a Jeep dealer? You see a small time mechanic who may be a very skilled mechanic but not a dedicated Mopar/Jeep mechanic is going to hook up diagnostics.If the PCM does not send data it's going to be condemned 10 out of 10 times.And almost all times a new one will either fix the jeeps problems or atleast now give out codes.But maybe the PCM was still good and only needed to be flashed by Jeep? Just a thought.
    Mines going in as soon as the mechanic down the road is done looking it over.
    So if your beating your head against the wall on a mysterious issue and not getting engine light or any codes. Check to see if your on a recall list for the OBD?
    If it is? they can flash it for free.As long as the PCM is good either it will cure the issues or atleast now give out data telling where to begin.
    Here is the OBD/PCM recalls for 99/00 There are also many other years that have various OBD or PCM recalls.
    So if your OBD is not giving you any codes for a ailing issue?Check your VIN with a dealer and if needed get the flashes done.Because without it your PCM cannot communicate with you acuratly.

Emissions Recall No. 882 - REPROGRAM PCM: OBD READINESS CODES
    Recall Date: December 2000
    Emissions Recall No. 8591/8592 - REPROGRAM PCM: CATALYST MONITOR
    Recall Date: March 2000
  • ajcareyajcarey Member Posts: 1
    Iv got a 2001 JGC 4.7l and im having this problem where im getting a error p1686 (skim) but the dealer cant access the computer to reset the system??? Im not sure if i should replace the PCM or skim moduel or if it is the battery???
  • lewisjlewisj Member Posts: 1
    I have had nearly all of the same problems that most of you have had. Starting, low idle, running rough, and burning rich not passing emissions etc.. I have replaced the idle motor, o2 sensor, map sensor, chased wires, ground wires. up until recently the only code that would show was 52 (extremely rich). After 3 years and at my wits end, I finally decided to replace the PCM. I found one at a junk yard off of a 95. It has been about a week and it seems to have solved the problems (knock on wood). It idles at the proper RPM, better fuel economy, and thus far I haven't had any problems or codes. I hope that this might help others that are having similar problems. Good luck.
  • ihornsbyihornsby Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee that im having starting issues. This has been a intermittent issue. When I turn the key to start it, the dash lights come on but the engine does not turn over or anything. After several attempts to start by turning the ignition it finally will start. No starter drag or anything, a clean sounding start. it does this cold or hot. I checked the Battery and battery cables, they appear to be fine. sometimes it will start the first time, other times it takes 5-10 attempts. Thx for any help.
    I have the same issue with my 01 Grand Cherokee. Did you ever figure out what is causing This?
    Thx
  • lndancy84lndancy84 Member Posts: 1
    Ok here is the deal.. I was driving my 2002 JGC to Fl which is about a 5 hr drive from where I live. It is a lot of stopping and going. But after about 4 hours when we would get to a red light it was shaking bad when we were stopped. Now 2 weeks later it is still doing it. We thought maybe we had gotten bad gas. that wasnt the case. If you put it in N while stopped at a red light it is fine it doesnt shake. Also when you start to pull off from the light it hesitates. Please help me!! I just spent 536.00 on a thermometer and a radiator fan.. I would like to come out as cheap as possible.
  • cherokeebabycherokeebaby Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same trouble with my 2004 JGC. My malfunction light has been on and all of the sudden when I was just about to work on Monday, it was shaking badly and that light started blinking. I have had a mechanic look at it and he thinks its something with my computer. That sounds like an awfully costly job to fix. I'm wondering if it could be a sensor or something with the emissions. I need to fix this as soon as possible. I'm afraid to drive it and don't think I can get it back to my house as I work a half hour away from home. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    After Further checking, I am hearing a click sound when it trys to start. So I am thinking maybe a bad starter. i will change it out this weekend.
  • harpplayaharpplaya Member Posts: 1
    Hey Buddy,
    Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I have the exact same problem with my 96 GC 4.0 six. 191000 miles. Mine stopped in the middle of a 4 hour trip by the side of the highway though!

To the response from tuggajb, my fuses are straight, would the ignition switch kill the vehicle and the guages while running down the highway?

Thanks for any help all.
    Ok, It ended up being a loose connection on the starter i guess, I took the starter off to be tested and it tested fine, i cleaned all connections and put the starter back on, its working fine.
  • eric784254eric784254 Member Posts: 11
    was looking at my haynes manual & i dont see a mat sensor, i found a map sensor which is located on the side right hand side of the throttle body (facing front of vehicle. do you have the inline 6 cylinder ? what manual do you have ? mine is 93 -04 haynes manual #50025
    did you check for fuel pressure ? you might have a vacuum leak also. try your plug gap .035 is whats recommended i think. refer to your label in front of the the radiator or call your local parts supplier for info.
    check your battery temp sensor, i think it located under the battery in the tray
    im having some similar problems with my 98 jgc, rough idle no codes. chased wires, replaced sensors. no codes. called a junk yard, told me 25 if i pull the part. skeptical about electrical parts from a junk yard though, but its my only choice. the pcm is on the firewall on the passenger side right ? could you tell me what it looks like ? my wife wants me to sell it but im not givin up on it yet ! i would like to solve this prob before i loose my mind. she doesnt know it yet, but if i can solve this puzzle, im givin it to her for her b-day. dazed & confused for now. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
  • keystone82keystone82 Member Posts: 1
    have 94 jgcl drove down highway worked fine came home died hit the gas kept on going then it died again had to pull over and it started up fine got home went out to start next day nothing it turned over u can hear the pump and smell gas but nothing came out later started right up drove around ok then did same thing now its sitting in my driveway running .sumtimes it just turns over and nothing and other times as soon as i turn key it starts i dont lose any power cuz my radio works
    any help
  • sirpillasirpilla Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lerado 4x4 all wheel drive with a 5.2 Liter(318) engine. Computer only throws an end code when trying to read with key turned 3 times and Auto Zone and Advanced Auto both said it's too old to read the codes with their meter. Last year I replaced the Cap and rotor along with the spark plugs and wire and now Within 2 weeks I have Replaced the Spark Plugs, Trottle Position Sensor, Air Idle Control Sensor, fuel filter, fuel pump checks out fine, PCV and hose that connects it to the engine were replaced twice in a week, cleaned all 8 fuel injectors and replaced all 16 of their O-Rings. fuel rail pressure is and was before cleaning injectors, exactly in spec 31 psi off and 39 psi when started. being despirate to try anything we added SeaFoam to the Valve cover and gas tank as a last resort and yet STILL after all of this it has a rough shaking my Jeep idle! When the PCV hose is hooked up, it starts and stalls, when you disconnect the PCV from the hose it stays running with the sluggish rough idle but it is the only way to keep it running! The minute you plug in the PCV the engine dies and doesn't want to restart until it's unplugged again! HELP ME PLEASE, I LOVE MY JEEP!!!
  • raelindaraelinda Member Posts: 1
    2009 grand Cherokee (14K miles) stalls when slowing down for off ramps or lights
    dealer has replaced computer and ignition - did 3rd attempt for lemon law but they can not make it die so nothing wrong with it - we can not make it happen but it has died since computer fixed. now waiting for lemon cases to move forward due to sale of Chrysler.

Any other ideas of what we can check to prove there is an issue? :lemon:
  • spriestspriest Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: Bandit71,

I had the EXACT same problem yesterday. My issue began after the vehicle was running. I heard a loud pop from the radio speakers and observed the voltage gauge floating while driving. After I got home and turned the Jeep off, it would not crank. No interior or brake lights, nothing at all that indicated I even had a battery connected. All of my gauges were pulsing and flipping over wildly with or without the key in the ignition and I could hear a faint clicking noise timed perfectly with the pulsing of the gauges. I let it sit for about an hour and it finally looked normal on the dash and sure enough - it turned over fine and all my gauges are back to normal. Even the pre-sets on the radio are still there. The only noticeable difference is that my clock on the radio is wrong.
    Did you ever find out the problem?
    Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so - what's my next step in troubleshooting this issue?

Same vehicle - 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited (83k)

I need help!!!
  • diamond25diamond25 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 jeep cherokee that seems to do the same thing. Have you found a conculsion yet on the problem?
  • spriestspriest Member Posts: 2
    Not a clue. still working the issue. b/c it's hard to duplicate the problem at will, it's hard to narrow down.
  • dayneseditzdayneseditz Member Posts: 5
    body control modgle i can spell but i just had the same problem it in the pass side kick panel
  • jygriff1jygriff1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, well recently in the mornings after starting and driving to my first stop or red light when stopped and waiting the Jeep will die. After putting it in Park it starts back up and then I drive it down the road a few miles and it doesnt happen again. All through the day it doesnt happen again. If it sits for overnight or for several hours, the first start and drive is when it seems to happen. I thought it might be just water in the tank or fuel line but have ruled this out. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
    My 1996 4.0 Grand Cherokee had an intermitnet hesitation while driving at freeway speeds. Never completely stalled. Installed a new craknshaft position sensor and that cured the problem. A couple of months later it would have a hard time starting and run poorly until it would not start at all. Installed a new fuel pump assembly and that took care of the problem. Fuel pump assembly is expensive because it includes fuel gauge sensor and other stuff. Around $425.00 for the part. Another stupid design. Good luck.
  • mammamamma Member Posts: 5
    You should look up the word stalling, rough idle. There have been many threads; one of which includes the possibility of needing a new computer becuase of some improper bolt wear. The new computer solved mine, not for cheap, though.
  • murfdog13murfdog13 Member Posts: 1
    hey buddy im experiencing the same problem with my 96jgc i changed my starter purchased a new battery now the gauges dont work and the engine wont turn over so was it the ignition switched that was causing yout the problem
  • 96jeep296jeep2 Member Posts: 11
    Looks like alot of us are having the same issue, anything from not starting all the way up to stalling while towing a boat 15 mins down the high way. This is absolutely absurd!!! I have changed everything in my car and I still can't get it started, maybee the goverment should have let Chrysler fall right on it's face, just like chrysler is letting their customers do. I dont think it's any of the sensor's, pumps, hose, fuse or switches ; I think it is the whole wiring harnes it self! It has to be, we replace every sensor, switch, hose, fuse, and the pcm! If we replaced everything its got to be what connects of of them together. Jeep is known for, not have a great electrical system to begin with. I dont know I am not a mechanic, but I do have a brain. Oh were was that brain of mine when I started this crap!! LOL any ways. I spent way to much money on this, At this point is would be foolish to give up. Any one know were I can get a new wiring harnes, that hopefully dose not coast an arm and a leg, i only have a few fingers left.
  • deratristarderatristar Member Posts: 14
    You are describing a problem that has plagued me for 3 years! Mine is an auto trans, but I get the same misfire code from the OBD II. Runs better after a few seconds in drive. Changed the plugs, and was going to change the coil boot, then the coil pack until I saw your post.

Anyone come up with a solution for this yet?
  • tomstratetomstrate Member Posts: 1
    hey guys,,new to site,,,just purchased 1996 4.0 jgc 2wd,,had cracked exaust man, so i replaced with new one ,,must have missed something,now i have to hold the gas pedal to the floor to get started and idles rough for a few mins,,also needs a few pumps of petal to keep running ,,then levels out ,,just wandering if i didnt hook something up in the right place,,thanks
  • bshockleybshockley Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2L V8. I just bought it as a project car but it has some issues and I'm not sure where to start. It starts fine and runs great UNTIL it reaches operating temp. Once it hits that temp it starts idling irraticly (mostly low idle aka. under 1k rpm's) and will eventually stall. It will start right back up but than will stall out again. It also didnt pass NOx emission test so I know I have a Fuel/ Air mixture problem. Any advice on where to start would be greatly appretiated!
    has to be a thermal vacuem switch check all hoses from them