Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Start Stall Idle Problems

Comments

• pcjeeppcjeep Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have a 2000 grand cherokee ltd with 4.7L v8. 4WD 94,000 miles. Over the past several months we have had recurring problems with it running very rough and sometimes cutting off. Here is the history.
    About 2 years ago replaced the fuel pump and filter.
    Recently started rough idle, up and down rpm when idling, whole car rocks side to side, sometimes cuts off. Also tends to have a hard shift from transmission from time to time.
    Took to mechanic - did fuel injector and throttle body cleaning and replaced spark plugs. Ran great a few days and problem returned.
    Took back to mechanic and he redid fuel injector and throttle body cleaning. Worked fine another week or two and problem started again.
    Took back to mechanic and he replaced the throttle control sensor. This worked for about 2 weeks. Then problem started again.
    This time took to Jeep Dealer. They replaced purge solenoid. This worked for about 1 month and problem has started again.

Any ideas?

I hate to keep dumping money into the jeep. It also needs front and rear pinion seals, transmission adapter seals, and cv boots. Need to decide to spend a little more to fix or trade it.
    Thanks
  • tonkadogtonkadog Member Posts: 6
    Hey pcjeep,I don't have any suggestions for you, seems you are covering the options quite well and expenseviley too. I will say this though, my daughter came over last night in a 2001 Audi A4T that she had traded her GC in on. Hopefully that will solve her problem and give her a more reliable vehicle that also gets better gas mileage. I know she gave up the off road capabilities but she very seldom went off road in her job anyway.
    Oh yeah for what its worth now I was going to help my son use my short finder to look for a short in the wiring which was going to be our next move. I know in your case it would probably cost a fortune to have some mechanic do that and most mechanics nowadays just want to replace parts anyway so even finding one to do a check for shorts is pretty much a miracle in itself.
    Gosh I wish I could find something encouraging to tell you,
    I used to love Jeeps especially the GC but I am out of love with them just like I lost my love for the Mustang for the same reason. Love the look but hate the problems.
    Sorry
  • jshelveyjshelvey Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,
    I've seen similar posts for this. My 2004 JGC has only 34K on it. It was brought in for diagnosis last week. All they did was reset the computer. The problem persists. I heard rumors that Jeep has issued a fix for this? Anyone know about this or what I can tell the dealer to do since they don't seem to have a good explanation. Seems as though the Pressure control solenoid could be the culprit....
  • tonkadogtonkadog Member Posts: 6
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    I had a 2002 V8 that felt like it was starting to fall apart. Differential, shocks, brakes, air conditioning. All of these had problems. Plus it didn't ride nearly as nicely as when I bought it, when it was quiet and plush. Decided to trade it in rather than dump money into it. It's definitely a hit financially. It's cheaper to keep fixing it if you can put up with it. I wish it were a better quality vehicle, because it's really nice otherwise.
  • mikejademikejade Member Posts: 1
    ...Can't thank you enough. My sister-in-law parked her Jeep in front of her neighborhood mailbox to run up and grab her mail. When she returned, the ignition switched was locked. Naturally, she immediately called her husband and he promptly called a friend that works for a dealership and 'used' to be a mechanic. He showed up and gave it the ol' college try if you will and told them it would be around $400 for a new ignition switch. I just happened to be visiting from out of town this weekend and heard the story, I assumed it was the park lock cable as I've experienced that before and gave the Jeep a thorough rocking. Once that failed...googled it and within 10 mins found this forum - within 40 secs, saved them $400! (although, there was no screwdriver available so a butter knife served as the 'tapping' tool and worked brilliantly) It's just that simple....The real lesson was DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH until you've simply exhausted yourself...at best, you'll find resolution, at worst, you'll prepare yourself with a modicum of intel necessary to deal with todays so called 'friend/mechanics'...Cheers!
  • oneofemoneofem Member Posts: 3
  • rleemannrleemann Member Posts: 1
    My Cherokee's key locked up too, found I had to replace the ignition switch and it just isn't jeeps all car makes have this problem. They wear out the back of the key cylinder from turning on and off the ignition.
  • lauraelmlauraelm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee also, and have been having problems with it for the last two months. It started out by stalling when I was driving. When I would be slowing down, or sitting at a light/stop sign it would just stall. Not all the time, just randomly. I took it to my mechanic who could not find a problem, after about two weeks it got progressivly worse with no solution. Finally one day it would just not start. After having it towed my mechanic changed the ignition coil, crank sensor and a sensor that is near the distributer (not sure of the name). That worked for about three days before it wouldn't start again. Had it towed again, and mechanic tested all the sensors, checked the wiring put everything bakc together and it started. The next day it would not start for me again. My mechanic told me that if it happened again, it is probably the computer and I would need to it to a dealership. Any suggestions you have would be very much appreciated!!
  • scott2000scott2000 Member Posts: 2
    I traded my jeep in during it's stalling episodes. I did however read that when the battery gets low that this happens. whoever posted that said that they haven't had any problems since they replaced the battery. I did have my battery checked while these problems were happening and the store said it was fine but, the battery was very old now that I think about it. Good luck, I wish I could have tried this solution but, i had already traded my Jeep in before I read this.
  • jeepbaby1999jeepbaby1999 Member Posts: 3
    I got my baby back from the shop last week and the problem was CPS ws change and all I have a problem with vibration in front end when i reach 70mph . :sick:
  • timmbojtimmboj Member Posts: 123
    I'm having the same issues with my 93. My mechanic wanted to replace the computer at $1200 installed but I'm holding off until I learn more. What we did discover is that ONLY WHEN the "check engine" light is lit will the engine start. If not, the engine just turns over and over but doesn't start. So they tell me to keep turning the key until the light turns on but it rarely does. I've tried the Nuetral Start, the pushing the shifter in Park further, jiggling keys, etc. but nothing works. May have them try the CAMshaft Position Sensor, the RENIX / Non-HO Engine Sensor / TPS and NSS options before we do the computer thing.
  • ohno2ohno2 Member Posts: 9
    Thats what one mechanic said to me and I took it to the Jeep Service Center. They said it was not the computer. Well, as I stated in my last posting that my Jeep was working " Knock on wood", I guess I knocked on the wrong piece of wood. This morning I tried to start my Jeep 3 times before it actually started and my check engine light will not shut off. So, I have to take my Jeep back to the service center. More $! :surprise: This is too much stress. I feel like the power will just shut off at any minute. "NOT FUN" Jeep seems to have a never ending story of problems. I'll post up the end results. Only take it to a Jeep dealer. Hope you get a better result. Good Luck
  • dharddhard Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2003 jgc it has idle problems i have changed all sensors on the throttle body and the air charge temp sensor and still have idle problems .....does ne body know what to do ??
  • lunghdlunghd Member Posts: 61
    Please post more info & especially engine size... 4.0L etc etc etc as the sensors and quirks for one motor doesn't always hold true for another engine.
    4.0 jeep grand cheerokee '03 can you help??
  • lunghdlunghd Member Posts: 61
    What do you mean by "idle problems"?
    Erratic? Won't idle at all? Up / down / up / down idle?

Is it throwing any codes? (AutoZone etc will read your codes for you.)

" i have a 2003 jgc it has idle problems i have changed all sensors on the throttle body and the air charge temp sensor and still have idle problems .....does ne body know what to do ?? "
    yes up down up down and it is throwing codes ....idle control malfuntion and manufactered controlled feul and air metering....
  • bduttonbdutton Member Posts: 3
  • dotcom012dotcom012 Member Posts: 5
  • ohno2ohno2 Member Posts: 9
    My Jeep is back from the Jeep Service. They replaced the ECT sensor. The cost $200.00. Hope this does the trick. Oh, IMPORTANT NEWS:For anyone with Jeep 1996 model, there is a recall on the front brake Rotors. If I didn't take it to Jeep I would have never known. They replaced that too for free. Call Jeep Service and inquire about this recall. ;)
  • dew88dew88 Member Posts: 1
    I am having starting issues with my 05 Grand Cherokee (3.7L, automatic). Every once in a while it will not start. When you turn the key there is nothing, no turnover, no sound. The first time this happened I tried jiggling the keys, moving the steering wheel, making sure the vehicle was in park by moving the shifter. I thought that there might be a security mechanism in the key (which the battery just did in) so I used my spare and at first it still did not start. I turned the key as far as it would go and I held it there for about 5 seconds (maybe more) nothing happened, no sound, nothing. I tried to start it 1 last time and it started right up, like nothing had happened at all. When I take it the service station, they run the diagnostics but can't find anything. Last time they did say that the batter was a little low. Any ideas?
  • papenpapen Member Posts: 11
    I have a 1996 Grand Jeep Cherokee. Great condition (body wise) with only 51,000 miles on it. Boy was I surprised to all of a sudden have this stalling problem happen. Go out in Jeep once engine gets warm stalling. If you wait hour between starting again will take you on a very short trip before stalling again. I to took it to Jeep they can't find anything wrong with it! Everything has been cleaned or replaced. Jeep has some explaining to do. To many people are experiencing this problem. Extremely dangerous to shut down in the middle of the road. Has been 1 year now ! Bad news for people who think it is a short problem. Strongly suggest you buy parts off of ebay. Was $200.00 savings on a fuel pump which by the way didn't fix the problem either.
    Not fuel filter. Just had one placed in. Didn't fix problem. Cleaned out all gas started new still stalls.
    Jeep couldn't get problem to happen while in the shop. Took it in twice but they charged nothing due to the fact they couldn't find anything wrong with it! Still stalls. Still have to wait a good hour for car to start again then I quickly get it home.
  • ylibrachylibrach Member Posts: 1
    Hi all.

Yesterday I drove my '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee home, parked it, and everything was fine. I got in the car 30 minutes later, turned the key, and nothing. The lights came on and I heard the ding ding ding, but the engine didn't even crank and nothing happened.

At first I figured it must be the battery is dead, so today I tried jump starting it. However, even then I would turn the key and nothing.

Now my question is: what could be the problem here? I was low on gas when I was driving it and the gas light was on. If I'm out of gas, would it behave like this? If not the gas, what could be other reasons?

Thanks!
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    starter relay
  • pjgriff2pjgriff2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, I am a college student at wits end trying to fix my jeep. I have the similar stalling issue that happens very randomly and erratically. Happens a lot when i first start my jeep up it will just cut out as I am leaving the parking lot. Sometimes on highway, sometimes at stoplights, sometimes in traffic, its very random. I have replaced the Idle Air Control, Ignition Coil, Plugs, Wires, Battery, Rotor, Distributor, Crank Position Sensor, and exhaust from the cat back. It acts almost like its not getting spark or gas but I am not sure how to test this because it shows no codes and never happens at the dealership of course. I don't have any more money to keep blowing, if anyone has a good idea I am open to anything. Thanks.
  • neralneral Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, new here. I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 v8. I had this problem and was able to fix it in 5 minutes (once I found that it was a T20 screw which took me an hour due to the location). I was having bad shaking and idleing problems. I went to Autozone to buy spark plugs and I mentioned what was happening. He suggested I try an IAC Valve (Idle Air Control). I was able to take the old one out (it was fried) and put the new one in easilly. Shouldn't cost more than $50 or so. Worth a shot, I'm now idleing at 750 RPMs with no ups or downs. Another shot is to check out your vacuum hoses and ensure they are all in good. Hope this helps some of you out there.
    THANK YOU! Have no idea if this will work but it isn't anything we have tried. Right now Jeep just sits out front. Will look and hopefully this will be the cure. Beautiful Jeep just won't stay running. Will try your suggestion. Please keep me informed if your problem wasn't solved.
    THANK YOU! It fixed my problem to. It did cost 50.00 and trust me if you hadn't brought this up no one was able to find the problem. Not even the Jeep dealer. I have my Jeep back thanks to this excellent advice. Thank you sooooooo much!
  • alykat89alykat89 Member Posts: 3
    Appreciate all of the discussion on this topic because it led me to my problem without spending too much money. My '97 Grand Cherokee has been shutting off
    while driving since this past summer, and has left me in dangerous situations, and my catalytic converter and muffler are history due to the backfiring. I replaced battery, distributer cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and coil with no relief.
    I found that barely moving the connectors to the ECM/ECU would shut off the engine and would not trigger the check engine light. I removed the coolant tank
    and cleaned the 3 connectors. Now, wiggling the wires does not shut the off the
    engine.
  • dave5centsdave5cents Member Posts: 6
    Let me relate my experiences with my JGC (96 5.2L Limited). About a month ago, I started experiencing the same common stalling problem (when I took my foot of the gas the engine would die). On top of that, the vehicle information center kept resetting itself when I started the Jeep each morning. My mechanic did not find any codes when he analyzed the diagnostic system. Doing a fair bit of research on the web led me to believe that a common cause for this type of problem is the idle air control (IAC). Indeed after replacing the IAC, my jeep idles nicely about 300 rpm and the VIC stopped resetting itself! I would have never thought the two could be related. My working theory is that the old IAC was shorting and that caused the ECM to go into spasm.

Anyway, based on my experience the first place I would recommend checking when a JGC develops the dreaded stalling problem is the IAC.

Dave
  • mssncmssnc Member Posts: 1
    Hello All!

I am seriously at my wits end! My check engine light was on and I took my 04 JGC Special Edition (it's special alright) 80,000to the dealership. Well they told me all sorts of codes were lighting up. Basically, the hoses needed to be replaced and a flush of the system (667). Oh and he noticed an oil leak ($700.00) in the pan and the back rear brake seal was leaking. Now I was peeved since no one had bothered to tell me this before, seeing as though they are the only ones who have ever touched my Jeep.

I've had nothing but problems with it from the word go. I noticed it seemed to be "misting" about thirty days after I bought it. The mechanic tells me that it's normal for jeeps to feel this way. I hear the big squeak when I shift gears from P to D, finally get them to fix the transmission. Then all of the rear lights go out. I forgot what they said the problem with that was. And to top it all off the engine light flashed and it was rough to say the least. That was the caustic conferter switch (sp sorry).

I've had it with this truck. I've never had so many problems with a vehicle in all of my life! As a single mom it's become too much for me to deal with. Anyway they have fixed this stuff and it's still idling again. Will someone please point me in the right direction? I've got to get it evened out so I can get rid of it. ASAP! :lemon:
  • aboyer1aboyer1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem with a 1994 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0L, 4X4. When cold and/or damp it won't start. Mechanics have tried everything: new fuel pump, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, grounding system, etc. A friend's son (former AutoZone employee) suggested the ballast resistor in the ignition system. Discussion from other websites suggest same thing. The ballast resistor does not show up in many schematics. The manuals do not show it. The counter staff at several autoparts stores can't find any such thing in their catalogues. Help! Where is it on this model? Who can help?
  • hameed411hameed411 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 liter. When I was driving it, it shut off on the highway but I was able to pull to the side. I was able to start it again but the Jeep kept on losing power...rpm's were erratic and I had to shift it into 1st gear to keep it going. I had it towed to my home and replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and wires. After all of this, the Jeep only starts when I hold down the gas. Also, when I took the jeep for a drive around the block, the rpm's would read zero if I pressed the gas and when I took my foot off the gas pedal, the rpm's would climb back but never stabilize. The jeep shudders when it is on and usually stalls. There is no check engine light and the battery and starter are new. Any ideas on what might be causing the problem. Thanks in advance.
  • caylecayle Member Posts: 1
    ok, i have a '96 4.0L and every time i go to accellerate it almost dies then it goes. Every once in a while it will die on me when accelerate from a dead stop. Any ideas to whats going on?
  • quarkdudequarkdude Member Posts: 2
    I too am having the same exact problem with my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4x2, 6 cylinder. Using a test light, I disconnected the positive battery cable and put a test light on the positive terminal of the battery and the other side of the test light I clipped to the unhooked positive battery cable and it lights up showing there is a short somewhere. I pulled the 50 amp Mux/T tow fuse and got the same results ( from the fuse box in the engine compartment ). I also found that if you pull fuse #7 (cluster fuse ) from the fuse box in the passenger area under the glove box and to the right ( passenger kick panel ) the current draw goes to zero, but your instrument cluster wont work either. I took everything out of the dash hoping that when the item causing the short was pulled the current draw would go away. I pulled the insturment cluster, the headlight switch box, the O/D and defroster switch box, the radio, the cigarette lighter connector and the accessory power connector and still the current draw is there. I havent found the answer yet, if anyone is out there that knows how to fix this, could you share what the fix it? I also changed to Alternator which didn't fix the problem. I also unplugged all 3 computer connectors ( computer is located on the passenger side firewall in the engine area ) still the current draw was there, so the computer isn't causing it.
    ...........HELP!!!! Quarkdude
  • dlungedlunge Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 jeep Cherokee is stalling when being started cold. It needs pedal application for about 20-30 seconds to keep going. I cleaned the throttle body and checked the mat sensor and coolant temp. sensor, they were fine.the Idle air speed sensor is not in my service manual but when i unplugged it, the vehicle starts fine. I changed that sensor, and things worked great for a week, and now the problem is back. could this sensor have gone again, or is there something else i should be checking. the old sensor reads 52 ohms and the new one reads 54. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is the idle air control and idle control valve the same thing as the idle air speed sendor??, I believe there is a map sensor in my throttle body but i don't know what the third sensor is. again my hayes service manual is not showing or describing it. could anyone tell me what the third sensor is.
    Saw the same thing happen after I changed the idle air control sensor. Worked for about 3 days and started stalling again. I found that by cleaning the tunnel that the IAC is mounted in with throttle body cleaner, the problem would go away. Cleaned out this very greasy dirt that must be coming from the throttle body. What I didn't understand was how oil was getting into the intake manifold and then the throttle body. After my mechanic checked everything out, he is of the opinion that I have a leak in the intake manifold. He also noted that I had a weak battery and recommended that I change it. Incredibly, when a new battery was installed, the stalling problem went away! As I recall, others in the forum have had similar success with the Jeep stalling problem when they replace the battery.

Even though my Jeep is running better now (no stalling), I am still experiencing the bouncing tach syndrome Backing off on the gas suddenly will cause the engine rpm to drop dramatically then climb back up to a steady rpm. I am pretty sure this is due to a vacuum leak in the intake manifold. Hopefully, when we replace the intake manifold gaskets (big job) the bouncing tack problem and the oily IAC will problems will both be solved.

Dave
  • minipmasterminipmaster Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo and the mechanic cannot find out what the problem is..When I am out on the open road and have been driving for a while and I start down a hill the car surges like I have water in my fuel and then it start to miss and the RPM's start to drop real low and then it goes back up and the vehicle missed real bad and then the check engine light comes on...But, the mechanic cannot find out what the problem is....Any suggestions...I would appreciate any advise..... Thanks.....:confuse:
    With all the people having trouble---don't you think its time to all join together and start a petition for a recall? On this site alone dozens having problems. We have all placed major money into repairs still not fixing problems. Anyone know how? Would be happy to sign it. Thank you.
  • fattmoxfattmox Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 Jeep Comanche which was suffering from the same problem. Idled fine, ran on the highway but almost stalled every time off the line. After some farting around I found a damaged/melted EGR valve under the air intake just beside the exhaust manifold. It had fallen off earlier and melted against the manifold as it dangled. Luckily I have a parts Jeep in my lane way and just replaced the EGR. This fixed it right up. Because the EGR was malfunctioning I assume it was sending way too much exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber and destroying the reaction.

Hope this helps...
  • janet16janet16 Member Posts: 1
    I totatly agree.i have searched many web sites(automotive troubleshooting).and have found people world wide are having the same exact problems we all have had with our jeep's.what really tiks me off is CHRYSLER DODGE dealership are not willing to fix the problem,"they dont know" no more than i.i will do further ivestigation on this.i've been wanting to do this....soooo thank's for the encouragement.i will be back with action!!!!
  • firstjeep1firstjeep1 Member Posts: 3
    Bought a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo 3 weeks ago and have had problems with engine cutting out this week. Had to call AAA last night to rescue me. Engine sounds odd and then just dies. Refuses to restart for more than 2 seconds. Check gages light on. Told me I was out of gas, but tank is full. AAA managed to start car in Neutral but not Park. Have just left message with dealership I bought it from, but after reading all these messages I don't hold much hope. Will post again if I get this resolved.
  • dakunkdakunk Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever figure out what was wrong? My mom is having the same problem with her 94 Grand Cherokee v-8. During cold weather it will start but die after just a few seconds. They replaced the fuel pump and filter and still nothing. My mom resorted to putting a hair dryer on the distributor and after a few min. of heat it would start and run like noting was wrong. But now nothing works. My dad thinks it could be the fuel pressure regulator.
  • kotannielkotanniel Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 JGC 5.2L, and it has always been a great vehicle. This past May the CE light came on, the mechanic changed the O2 sensor. Then the next day the light came on again, he then changed the EG valve. It came on again, but I never took it back in. Now, my car starts, but won't stay on. If you give it lots of gas it will eventally stay on. This happened the other day when I went to pick the car up at the mechanic, and the cleaned the throttle body and said it was running fine. It did for two whole days. Now what. I need to take it back in, any suggestions.
  • died2livedied2live Member Posts: 1
    I have a 200 Jeep GC Limited w/ same problem. Just started in last few months. I have been reading the postings and you might be interested to go to page 27 under electrical problems and read some postings. I think this is electrical and causing problems in many areas. There are some long responses but worth trying. Dealerships can't seem to find out anything.
    If you battery is old, try changing it. Had a very similar problem with many of the same symptoms you describe (btw, my 1996 JGC 5.2L has two O2 sensors; one before the catalytic converter and one after. Does your JGC have two also? Were they both changed?). After changing the IAC it ran great for a couple of days then would not idle. On a whim, my mechanic suggested changing the battery. After installing a new battery, car runs very nicely now. If you are also experencing problems with the Vehicle Information Center (VIC) this may also indicate the need for a new battery.

Dave
  • 5213252132 Member Posts: 62
    I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ. When I start it up after the engine is at normal operating temperature, it idles rough for a few seconds. There is no stalling or hesitation, just the rough idle. I noticed a smell of semi-burned fuel [which means that its running rich] when this happens and the RPM goes to 1,200.It's a 4.0 POWER-TECH I6. Other than that things are fine. By the way, the engine light isn't on. Any comments would help :)