Options

Mitsubishi News

Comments

• Options
    mikevegas06mikevegas06 Member Posts: 272
    Glad that we're all talking again. This forum was quiet up until July 4.

The coupe market is tough but Mitsu is hanging in there. Think of all the coupe models that have recently been retired - Prelude, Celica, Avenger, Neon. Subaru hasn't given us a coupe since the 90's. Will the new Altima Coupe and the new Accord Coupe be better than the Eclipse? Sure. And they should be because they're new models from companies with deeper pockets. The Eclipse still has the looks (to me) and it's price will help as well. I think that we need to give them some credit for keeping the Eclipse around. I can't wait to drive the coupes from Honda and Nissan to see what Mitsu is up against.

Hey Psychogun (love that name), hook us up with those links when you get a minute.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,695
    "...Well none of those cars is very exciting, are they?..."

Now I see where you're coming from, fair enough. You're probably more of an EVO man. No wonder you think midsize coupes are boring.

Lucky for the car makers there are old farts like me who don't enjoy being shoehorned into their seat and bounced around all day. All a matter of priorities.

For what it's worth I think you have a point about Lancer being better for it's total revamp. Don't know about Outlander, SUV aren't my thing.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    "...the most effective addition for the least amount of money would be a "Raliart" version..."

Mitsu showed off a concept Raliart Eclipse in 2005. It had a turbo 2L and all-wheel drive from the EVO and they used carbon fiber panels in the roof,hood and front fenders (weight reduction). The Edmunds article said it put out 400HP. WOW.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    elgatolocoelgatoloco Member Posts: 92
    Yeah, I saw that Ralliart concept at the Mod show last year. Very nice.

First though, I stopped today at my Mitsu dealer to query them about our hosts theory that dealers were less than enthused about the Eclipse line. Frankly, the sales manager and a few others felt he was full of...wrongness. OK, I'm not saying they started screaming that the current Eclipse and variants were the gifts from above, but overall they said it was a pretty well made product that sold reasonably well. Several people who work there own one. According to them about 50% were purchased by women, mostly the 4 cyl. w/auto who, get this, stated reason for buying was because they liked the looks (the looks THEY got while driving it most likely) and wanted the reliability of a Japanese manufacturer. Most GTs and sticks purchased by men. Spyder is doing "decent" now as a seasonal offer. Satisfaction after purchase was "very good".

They felt the real dog in their line was the Raider / Dakota truck. People liked the looks but...well, I'm sure everyone here knows whats going on in truckville right now. The car that gave them the biggest headache was the Diamante. High priced as an import from Australia, poor fuel mileage and less than stellar quality. They were glad it's gone.

Most asked about vehicle on the horizon? The new Evo, natch

One more thing about the Eclipse. sales manager said that he wished that someday soon MMC might be able to offer that Ralliart version with the same vibe as that Evo RS from a few years ago. No frills high performance 4 cylinder with stick. He said it would be a small seller but would thrill gearhead magazine reviewers. Kind of a loss leader I suppose.

Anyway, there weren't not no reason for them to bs me as they know I'm looking hard at the Galant. I still love that new Lancer GTS too.
  • Options
    "...they know I'm looking hard at the Galant..."

If I was looking for a four door that's one that would be on my list. I saw a Raliart Galant at the auto show and it was sharp. Reviews were pretty good too.

You mention in post #417 that many women buy Eclipse. That seems to be another reason to bash it. It's a chick car they say. :) Ha ha. I love that. I guess if your car isn't spewing exhaust and rubber everywhere and doesn't ride like a run-away dump truck it isn't manly. :lemon:

You mentioned your sister has a GT (sounds like a good woman). How would you rate the performance? Does it handle as well as comparable cars?

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I drove a Ralliart Galant and it is a nice car. As I recall, not stickshift available? Is that right? GRRRRRRRR....

COUPES: You are right, the coupe market IS tough, and anyone trying to market a coupe over $30,000 is really in for a lot of fierce competition (just ask Chrysler).

Once your optioned Japanese or American coupe slams into the same price point as a base BMW 328i or similar German car, you have a hard row to hoe, IMO.
  • Options
    OK, she got the car in October of 06 and I have driven it 5 times since then, mostly short trips of 20 miles or less.

First off, right after she purchased it (black GT, auto, loaded.) she had new tires and wheels put on it for March - November driving. The wheels were stamped with the word "Verde" (spanish word for "green")and they were about the sharpest looking rims I have ever seen. Don't know what brand the tires themselves were. She told me the set up cost her about $4000.00. (doctors...hah) First time I drove it with her we went out in the country on some nice 2 lane blacktops. She insisted I push it hard as I wanted so I got it up about 110 in no time at all. Ran great, very smooth with excellent handling. I was confident that it would hold the road fine but I went no faster than 110. She showed off the radio, sunroof etc... The car was a complete blast. Once again, I'm not an expert on sports cars and don't have a lot to compare it too but it was really fun!

She has had pretty much zero problems with it so far except for a fender bender in Sams parking lot. She puts premium in it and claims good mileage, especially her trips to Florida where she claims like 27 mpg. That seems a little high to me since I know she has a heavy foot but out on the interstate, cruise control, 75mph, nice weather, Maybe?

Prior to her buying it she said she did test drive a Nissan 350Z (I myself have never driven a 350 but the Mitsu handles MUCH better at speed than my friends 06 Mustang) She said it was nice also but she just liked the radical look of the Mitsu better, plus it was quite a bit less money - not that she couldn't afford it.

I suggested she could do some more mods like a high performance exhaust but she seems uninterested, which is probably a good thing. After all, it already goes plenty fast and as long as it looks great and stays pretty much trouble free she's happy.

I can see where the GS with the 4 cyl. Mivec would do well providing you don't have to carry around other people too often. I know from experience the engine is reliable, decent mileage, so it's basically a very sporty looking / yet practical vehicle. If I was single or could afford a "car of my own" I would probably look into getting one but...I can't.

OK, back to the Galant section...
  • Options
    psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to external sites...
    So, my apologies if the following is not permitted...

http://www.fleet-central.com/af/stats2007/cars_web.pdf

http://www.fleet-central.com/af/stats2006/cars_web.pdf

This is public information and not protected or paid for. So, hopefully it's OK with the moderators.
  • Options
    Hey psychogun! Thanks for the links!
  • Options
    I wonder what the Eclipse would look like as a notchback coupe (2 doors and a trunk)? What if Mitsu made a coupe version of the EVO with a little softer suspension and named it the Eclipse?
  • Options
    "...but I went no faster than 110..."

Gee, only 110 on two lane blacktop? Where's your sense of adventure? ;)

I was also looking at the Mustang a while back. I drove the 6-cyl. and was not impressed. The handling wasn't much better than my old Chrysler. The GT is much tighter and way faster but Eclipse beats it in the slalom. I've talked to 350Z owners and most say that it is not a practical daily driver.

I think what would eliminate both those cars from my list though is the price. After being out over three years there are still no decent rebates for the Mustang. That makes it in the 27K range for the GT. The 350Z is closer to 30K. When Mitsu cranks up the rebates toward the end of 2007 a base Eclipse GT will go for under 23K.

• Options
    Yes but cranking up rebates is no formula for success. Ask GM.
  • Options
    "...rebates is no formula for success..."

While excessive rebating is not the path to success for the car companies it sure sounds like the path to success for little old me.

• Options
    "...What if Mitsu made a coupe version of the EVO...and named it Eclipse?..."

I think it would be what every Eclipse fan is looking for. That body must be adaptable. After all they build everything from the Lancer to the Outlander on it (and a couple of Chrysler products to boot).

Speaking of Outlander, it got a pretty good review here on Edmunds. They mention it's 3L engine. Is that the same 3L from the previous generation Eclipse?

• Options
    The new Outlander has an all new engine (all alloy too). But I don't know what the series is. Maybe 6B or 6C.

"That body must be adaptable" - that statement got me to thinking about how efficient car companies like Honda are. They basically use two platforms (the Civic and the Accord) for all of their products sold here. That's like 10 models(including the Acura cars) from two platforms. Not sure what platforms the Honda S2000 and Fit are on though. Mitsu may be about to try the same approach. If so, I wonder how that will impact the Normal,IL factory.
  • Options
    british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    The new MDX is I think on a new fairly stand alone platform. I would guess that platform would trickle down to the next gen Pilot, Ridgeline and Odyssey.
  • Options
    From the Accord platform, Honda gives us the Odyssey, Ridgeline, Pilot, TL, RL, MDX.

The Civic platform provides the basis for the Element, CRV, RDX, TSX (or maybe it comes from a shortened Accord platform) and the out of production RSX.

I do think that the S2000 is on a dedicated platform, but I'm not sure.

I like Hondas quite a bit and track their products as well. So, I end up reading a bunch of articles about their cars.
  • Options
    For about a week or so now there has been some rumors, apparently originating at Motor Trend mag, about a Mitsubishi / Peugeot tie up relating to the Galant and a Peugeot sedan called the 408. Anyone else see this?

Just out of curiosity I have a few questions for any Peugeot fans if you're out there.

#1 - If Peugeot already has dealers in Mexico and South America why doesn't it set up shop in one of those countries? Particularly Mexico?

#2 - Does Peugeot already offer mid-size sedans like the 407 in Latin America or is it mostly smaller cars? Are there tariffs on certain cars that would make it necessary to build cars in this hemisphere.

#3 - Apparently a lot of people seem to think the new Mitsubishi Outlander badged for Peugeot with the Peugeot diesel will be a top notch product. Are the Peugeot diesels really that good? Would they be a viable powerplant in a North American vehicle.

#4 - A lot of the bloggers complain that Peugeot cars are no good. I don't know hardly anything about them but in the Jet Li movie KISS OF THE DRAGON the bad guy, played by Tcheky Karyo, drives a kick-[non-permissible content removed] sports sedan that has a Peugeot emblem on it. Whats the word on their 4 door sports sedans compared to whats available here in the U.S. right now?

OK, just curious. I know that several people have said the CEO of Peugeot claimed there is nothing going on concerning North America. Just like Daimler said they were so happy with Chrysler, (hardy har har). I think we all know that in this business today if you sit still you die. The rumor is interesting though, I looked up some some Peugeot models on the net and some of them looked pretty cool. I don't buy this "Everybody in the U.S. hates the French" thing either, the one thing about car buyers, especially American, is that if they can get something different than everyone else on the block they will probably buy it. If U.S. Mitsubishi dealers were offered a shot at carrying the brand I think a lot of them would go for it IMO.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think Peugeot, like a lot of car companies, has had their ups and downs. They had a presence here in the US back in the 80's but just for a few years. A friend had a wagon - it was pretty plush for the day, but parts were hard to come by. I had no idea they've been selling them in Mexico since '97 - I don't remember seeing any down there, but I've noticed lots of Kas and a few X-Trails in MX that we don't get here.

I'd be curious to learn how they are doing in Australia since that may be more of a comparable market for the US.
  • Options
    stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    #4 - A lot of the bloggers complain that Peugeot cars are no good. I don't know hardly anything about them but in the Jet Li movie KISS OF THE DRAGON the bad guy, played by Tcheky Karyo, drives a kick-[non-permissible content removed] sports sedan that has a Peugeot emblem on it. Whats the word on their 4 door sports sedans compared to whats available here in the U.S. right now?

I had an uncle who owned them and loved them but they really couldn't carve out a market in the US along with many other car companies and they were just too expensive for what you got and were not all that reliable.
    no idea if they will come back but I doubt I'd buy one with the limited dealer network they would have.
  • Options
    Setting up a North American operation for any car would be enormously expensive---and we are also a "mature" market, which means little room for newcomers. I don't see the North American market as worthwhile for Peugeot at this time.
  • Options
    "...would be enormously expensive..."

That's for sure. Didn't Mitsu get it's start here in the US selling through Dodge dealers? The Colt and the Ram 50 were both Mitsu. Maybe the frenchies could slip in that way.

BTW, if the RSX was such a kick-[non-permissible content removed] car, why don't they make it any more?

• Options
    Regarding the high cost of setting up operations in the U.S. I neglected to mention that the main thrust of the rumor was that the 408 (successor to the current 407) would be built at the MMNA factory in Normal Illinois and then shipped to established Peugeot dealers in Latin America countries, hence the question of tariffs. Cost of transportation also enters the equation because it is implied that Peugeot would save money where shipping distance was concerned. Would it cost that much more to send a future 408 model from France when they are currently shipping smaller cars to their Latin American dealers anyway? The speculation by the author of the Motor Trend piece was that it would be a natural progression to also - eventually - sell the 408 where it is built, in the U.S.

Perhaps, if there was technical co-operation between the two companies regarding platforms, powerplants, etc..etc..then the integration of a Peugeot model into the U.S Mitsubishi dealer network would be very cost effective.

From what I've read about the forthcoming Japanese Galant it appears that it will simply be a re-named Lancer called the Galant-Fortis(?) the larger North American Galant, now also exported to Russia and the middle east, could morph into a combined Mitsubishi / Peugeot creation.

Possible?
  • Options
    "...Possible..."

Let's see, the Galant is built on the Project America platform which as I understand it was built to accomodate the larger American backsides. With fuel economy becoming a big factor in car buying Mitsu might be looking for a quick way into diesel technology. Peugeot has many years of experience with diesel. I think a diesel powered Galant would be a natural for the American market.

And of course the outlander would be a good candidate for a diesel. Think of it, a 40mpg SUV.

• Options
    "And of course the outlander would be a good candidate for a diesel. Think of it, a 40mpg SUV."
    I think Mitsu is listening to you Oldfarmer. I took a look at the UK Mitsu site (link at end of this post) and the Outlander is offered only as a diesel. Also, the Shogun (Montero) is offered as a diesel or gas powered rig. At this time, Mitsu appears to offer a diesel in all regions except North America. So, maybe "technical co-operation between the two companies" will be more of Mitsu allowing Peugeot to tweak suspensions, front/rear bumpers, and interiors of the Mitsu vehicles. Seems like both companies could benefit since Normal is under utilized.

Elgatoloco, I do remember reading the Mitsu has recently signed a multi-year agreement to keep producing at the Normal plant (can't remember the source though). So, what you're reporting really seems feasible.

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/
  • Options
    The Japanese CEO of Mitsubishi Motors North America, Hiroshi Harunari, stated a few months ago that a diesel powered Outlander as well as a diesel Lancer would probably make it to North American shores around 2009. However, both of those models are manufactured in Japan and would probably employ the diesel engine designed in conjunction with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries. (In fact, get ready for a glut of different diesel powered imports by then, when they can all meet the U.S. emission standards.) No mention was made, though, of a Mitsu diesel engine sent to MMNA for use in the Galant or Endeavor.

I'm pretty sure I heard that the Euro Outlander diesel would carry the Peugeot diesel engine. I guess that they would be sent to Japan by Peugeot and installed there to provide conformity to Peugeot diesels already in service, then I'm pretty sure - could be mistaken - I read where even the Mitsu badged Outlanders in Europe would also carry the Peugeot engine? Thats why I wondered if the diesel power plants from Peugeot were that good?

So...If MMC and Peugeot co-operated closely enough on a universal 4 door medium sized sedan they could manufacture a Galant/408 model for global consumption. If the vendors and technology (platforms, engines, design cues) were split about 50-50 from both companies with build at the currently under- used but capable U.S. facility it could be very cost effective and provide a basic staple for dealers from both companies around the world.

Interesting to discuss but I think the moves Mitsubishi have made in the last 2-3 years have been very careful. I doubt they ever want to be in a situation again where they have to submit to a "partner" so any co-operation would have to be on an even keel, so to speak. Still, if they had the financial backing of some of the other Mitsubishi companies and could tie up with another company, roughly the same size as themselves, like Peugeot, could they produce a world class contender together?
  • Options
    Good info. I stand corrected. I'm certainly curious to see how the engine selections play out in the coming years. It still seems like Mitsu has the powertrain expertise of the two, but we'll see very soon.

Elgatoloco, you've also made a good point about Mitsu being very cautious due to the DCX disaster. Because of that bad experience, do you think that Mitsu would be more likely to want a majority role in any upcoming partnerships? Maybe more of a 70/30 deal since Mitsu already has a facility and dealer/supplier network in the US?
  • Options
    Honestly, I have no idea what kind of percentages are necessary for any kind of alliance nowadays. The entire business, with exchange rates, tariffs, etc.., is so convoluted it must take an army of bookkeepers to keep it straight. Just look at how the " Bigger is better" theory has turned out for Ford and GM. The 1st tier automakers buy up the 2nd and 3rd tier and dilute them to the point where you wonder if your new Saab is a freaking Cobalt or what? Now everything's up for sale. What BS!

So yeah, after the DCX deal and the cornholing from Gagnon and Finbarr I'd say MMC might be more interested in a REAL alliance, and all that it means. Mitsubishi and Peugeot are both 2nd tier auto companies with each having a solid, albeit smaller, support base than giants like Toyota or GM, but right now smaller seems to be better. If they can put together a cost structure that results in a new automobile derived from the best technology they both possess they could clean up worldwide. The U.S. plant is only about 20 years old and has won productivity awards in the past. North America is still the biggest market in the world and even if it's surpassed in the next decade it's still going to be huge. On top of that, if the Camry continues to sell well then the styling CANNOT change - that is a new Japanese law enacted about 3 weeks ago btw - so customers are going to be looking for something different. (oh please...please say that they will). These two companies could give it to them couldn't they?

Ha Ha. Watch now, after we spend all this time theorizing about this rumor the CEOs will come out and say there is no basis to the story at all.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "The 1st tier automakers buy up the 2nd and 3rd tier and dilute them to the point where you wonder if your new Saab is a freaking Cobalt or what?"

For the record Saab doesn't sell Cobalts. For the record the Saab 9-3 is based on the same platform(the Epsilon I think its called)as the current Pontiac G6 and Chevy Malibu and the 9-3 has nothing to do with the Cobalt. Secondly, The Saab 9-7(SUV) is based on the same platform as the dated Chevy Traliblazer SUV.

"On top of that, if the Camry continues to sell well then the styling CANNOT change - that is a new Japanese law enacted about 3 weeks ago btw - so customers are going to be looking for something different. (oh please...please say that they will)."

I don;t understand what you mean in that there is a Japanese Law that says the styling cannot change of say a Camry. Can you please clarify what you mean about the Japanese Law and the styling and that the styling of say a Camry cannot chage?
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I think elgatoloco post was mostly "tongue in cheek". His point being a Saab is no longer a Saab but a re-badged GM vehicle. And the Japanese law..again I think he was kidding as he is probably not a fan of the current Camry styling.
  • Options
    O.K. First, sorry about the sarcasm, sometimes it just doesn't come across very well in certain places and I should be more careful about getting carried away, (or giving the Japanese parliament any ideas) thats the loco part of me I guess, but, yeah.. dtownfb is exactly right about my Saab analogy and my tongue and all. Regarding the Camry, It's not that I don't like it, it's...ok. Look, when I was a little kid my dad always watched The FBI tv show on Sunday night and I watched it too. Every week, without fail, the FBI got the bad guys and after awhile I began to hope that one time, just one, the bad guys would get away with it. They would beat The Man. They would keep the money. They would leave Toyo...er, the FBI in the dust as they laughed their way into the sunset.

It would be cool if two companies like Mitsubishi and Peugeot could work together as equals, build a great car and set a new benchmark.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    and Peugeot possibly combining on some work. Has Mitsubishi made any statements on this idea?

Man, I will tell you that I am personally feeling Mitsu's built-in racing heritage with my '08 Lancer GTS. I am totally impressed with this new sporty sedan. Just got back from a ride in my Lancer GTS where I played with the CVT automatic a bit, pressing the accelerator down a little heavier than I usually do. The more I use this CVT 6-speed automatic the more I like it and the less I miss my 5-speed Kia's. Since I read the above posts days ago I've forgotten which rigs the two may combine on?

Any pictures of similar-looking European rigs I could gander on on the net? If it's one of the extreme econoboxes then the two would build it for Europe and India and China, IMO, and leave America out of it. The Smart For may or may not be a hit in America but a Mitsu-Peugeot combo would be fighting a bit of a credibility problem right off the bat. Mitsu makes standard size cars and not kei-cars, for starters.

Suzuki may be more suited for this idea with Peugeot, though, thinking out loud more on it a collaboration between the two to include exportation(or building them in China)to the world's 2nd largest automobile market, China, might just work out.

I would take long looks at their vehicles if they did indeed start working together.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    I haven't exactly been digging into it and the only thing out there seems to be a re-hash, more or less, of the original blurb from Motor Trend. Most of the comments seem to be skeptical, no surprise given current market conditions. I just happen to believe that when a market is in a downturn - certain constants anyway - thats when it may be cost effective to focus on possible expansion.

I still say that if you can introduce a new automobile brand, especially here in the states, you can get a good response from thousands of those consumers who crave something besides the norm. Of course you have to have quality products for the momentum to continue after the initial rush. Look at the current Smart Car venture. 20 some thousand sales guaranteed the first year. Of course with Smart it's not so much the quality but the size. Will hundreds of thousands of consumers eventually buy a (not very cheap) mini-car? However, A mid-size four door sedan, which is what we're talking about here, is not really a huge risk, it's a basic. If Mitsubishi and Peugeot could put out a respectable product with some flair and market it correctly I don't see why they couldn't start the ball rolling.

As an added bonus, the Normal, Illinois plant isn't built on a huge fault line next door to the biggest nuclear reactor in the world!
  • Options
    yeah it is risky because the USA is a very "mature" market. There is not much room for anyone else. To sell a car you have to steal each and every sale from someone else, since everyone in America already has one or more cars. (the entire population of the United States could hop in their cars and there would be no one in any back seat).

SMART has always lost money and will continue to. It's a proven loser.

But the success of any French company in America, even in consort with Mitsu, would have to rely on giving over management to Americans, something the French have always stubbornly resisted, much to their regret.

Did you know that Renault outsold VW in 1960 in America (for a few months)? Can you believe they blew a lead like that in a couple of years?
  • Options
    I suppose there is always some risk in any venture like this but a four door sedan is not as radical as something like the Smart is it? On the other hand, given the flux in fuel prices nowadays I'll bet a lot of people can't imagine why there aren't more teeny weeny cars on the drawing board right now. I, for instance, am pretty surprised by Mitsubishi's reluctance to somehow bring the current Colt variants to North America. Not that the Colt is a teeny weeny but still...its a pretty slick car given current conditions. Wouldn't that be a better gamble then a mid-size sedan? No alliance necessary there.

Maybe we'll be surprised when those all-electric cars hit the inner city in a few years and the speculators drop the price of oil.

Leastaways, I hope we'll all be surprised.

Funny about the French not wanting to share management decisions. I never thought about that. Maybe this rumor started over a few overheard casual comments by some movers and shakers in the business. Sometimes companies let stuff like this "slip" out into the media to stir up interest among investors but I don't think that would be the case here. MMC is gaining some market share slow but steady according to Standard & Poors. Not sure about Peugeot but I don't think they were exactly needing a faux shot-in-the-arm either.
  • Options
    I think Americans' tolerance for teeny-weeny cars is pretty limited, and will remain so. It simply isn't the type of car on our radar screen--it suggests poverty and eccentricity, neither of which Americans are very good as accepting as a way of life.

I find a Mitsu-Peugeot alliance quite interesting but I don't know about workable. I'd be concerned, that as with Chrysler-Daimler, it was more of a clash of cultures than anything else.
  • Options
    "...Americans' tolerance for teeny-weeny cars is pretty limited..."

Boy, ain't that the truth. Baring $10 a gallon gas we will keep putting our big butts into big cars (did you know that cars made by offshore car makers have wider seats to accomodate Americans' fat behinds?).

One trend that bears watching is the one started by New York City where they want to tax car coming into the city as a way to offset the bad impact these vehicles have. So far it hasn't taken off but if it did I could see cars like the Smart being given exemptions from these taxes. That alone might spur sales.

I think smaller car companies like Mitsu will have to explore cooperation with other companies due to the expense of bringing new products into the market. Weather it is Peugeot or Chrysler or the man in the moon, it has to be done to survive.

And oh yes, the french are tough to deal with with. It's because they think they are better than anyone else. It took Lucent years to get a deal done with Alcatel because the frenchies wanted total control of Lucent's US operations.

• Options
    really gain from an alliance with Peugeot. I don't think that Mitsu will have any trouble selling more and more Lancer's and Ralliart's and EVO X's in the near future, I don't think they wanna go any smaller in production size than Lancer.

And, no, that Smart For I saw in my small hometown a few weeks ago would be a real fright to point towards Tucson from our little cow town and expect to be safe on I-10. That thing made my 2008 Lancer GTS look like a Towncar by comparison. Dangerous mode and I still don't think Americans will embrace them. I'll buy a car the size of my Lancer GTS but not a smaller one than that. Most Americans want an even larger rig than a '08 Lancer, too.

• Options
    Hey Oldfarmer. It's "summer clearance time". Have you narrowed your list down to the final few cars yet? Keep us posted.
  • Options
    "...Have you narrowed your list down to the final few cars yet?..."

While I'm still open to a number of sporty coupes I think The Eclipse and the Altima are my front runners. But then again, by the time I'm ready to buy in December there might be some new developments with the new Accord coupe.

Then again, if a big bag of money falls out of a passing plane, I might look at that new G37. ;)

• Options
    Mitsubishi might not desperately need a partner right now with the release of the new Lancer and Outlander and I agree with you that the inclusion of the EVO and Ralliart Lancer models in the line-up will push sales and recognition even higher. However, Mitsu does not live by small sedans alone. I think they need to continue with producing the mid-size Galant and it needs to be done at the North American plant if for no other reason than to be taken seriously as a worldwide player.

A tie-up with Peugeot would save money and resources - for both companies. Also, the stated reason for the rumor in the first place - Peugeot needs to build in North America to save money by reducing shipping costs to dealers in Latin America - tells me that the Mitsu dealer network in the U.S. and Canada cannot afford to compete with Camry, Accord, Impala, Fusion, etc..etc.. if they have to tack on a few thousand, or even a few hundred, dollars more to their product if it is an import. Imagine if they have to tell their dealers that they might lose about 50% of their sales ( Eclipse, Spyder, Galant, Endeavor). So long dealer network.

Of course the company knows this. It's just that seeing MMC come back from the dead when almost everyone had written them off a few years ago is so compelling, like rooting for the underdog.

By the way iluvmysephia1 (change the name already) I know that road you took to Silver City NM, been on it a few times myself when visiting there and it IS trippy. I would love to tackle that with my sisters Eclipse GT.
  • Options
    excellent explanation of your reasoning behind a Mitsubishi-Peugeot combo possible ahead. To save on shipping and to get closer to shipping destinations does indeed make sense.

I like the Galant as it sits now but it is true that Mitsubishi needs to strengthen themselves in their bigger offerings. A bigger SUV seems almost foolish now with ghastly prices staying up.

The Outlander is so awesome as it stands and the popularity of the '08 Lancer models is so nice to see and the future is looking brighter for Mitsubishi. But staying still won't work and smaller cars are the movement these days.

What bigger rigs does Peugeot even make? That design tooling and overall direction from them could prove invaluable for Mitsubishi.

As for that highway off of I-25 to Silver City, what was it, state route 160 or something like that? Totally awesome route, man. I kept waiting for an elk or a deer or bobcat to pounce out across the road. Living in the SE Arizona desert now, but hailing originally from just north of Seattle, I found those large green trees along that route most comforting to see. Cactus and mesquite are nice, yes, but some real trees are very, very cool to gander upon. Love 'em!

That twisty route just wouldn't end, though! My wife got car sick from it as I pushed the handsome Lancer GTS in to the turns! We were missing our two dogs and two cats and really wanting to get back to Arizona so I was only so happy to comply and gun it a bit!

BTW-the reason we went up there to mid to NW New Mexico was to see legendary rock band Foghat at Grants, NM. We had our wristbands on and were ready to party. Got up to the gate and the show was canceled! We drove 430 miles to get up there only to find out a bad storm with lightning, lots of rainwater and high winds had knocked out power once, caused too much water to collect up top of the tent(someone's Einstein idea to slit the tent open and let the water rush down sealed the deal here)and damaged Foghat's sound equipment too badly for them to play. And playing equipment that was wet is totally unsafe, so safety had to come first. We were devastated! Especially me, my wife and son were just coming along for the vacation but that band is not an everyday rock band to me. They are rock music to me!
    I was glad no one got hurt and the following morning we went over to Albuquerque to peruse that city and find a good eating establishment, before the long cruise back home.

Another BTW-the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS performed flawlessly on the trip and was a joy to drive. So steady, heavy and sure in it's paw prints on the road. The comfortable cabin only enhanced the drive and I could've drove another 430 miles by the time we got back to Willcox without feeling a worn-out feeling from driving too long. We averaged 30.0 mpg for the trip. Plenty good enough for me.

The Mitsu boys have outdone themselves on this new car, gentlemen. :D

• Options
    Just wondering... Does anyone know if Peugeot builds just automobiles? I think they made bicycles for awhile, but I'm curious to know just how diversified their company is. Mitsu is a huge company that operates in many industries (TV's, chemicals, film, cars, and so on)
  • Options
    Cool. I think it is good that you are NOT limiting yourself to a particular set of drive wheels. Some people will only consider RWD for their sporting purposes.
  • Options
    "...some people will only consider RWD for their sporting purposes..."

I suppose I would prefer a RWD sports car too. The problem is that is my price range the RWD cars tend to be too small for me to fit in. I'm 6'2" and about 230 pounds (depending on beer intake) and when I sit in cars like Miata and Solstice my head sticks up above the top of the windshield.

FWD cars tend to have understeer problems I know but I'm past the stage where I have to rip through the corners at 100+. I like the extra room of a mid-size coupe, so what if I get blown away by a 45K BMW 3 series I can go out and buy 20K worth of beer to drown my sorrow.

Some one on this board once posted that cars like the Eclipse scream "Old farts wanted" well, I guess that makes me an old fart.

• Options
    colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Peugeot began as a bicycle builder in 1882, followed by motorcycles and cars in 1889. They currently sell cars and delivery vans. I bought a new Peugeot 504 in 1970 (a great car BTW), and Peugeot still builds the 504 for the Nigerian and Kenyan markets - believe it or not. You can go to the Kenya Peugeot website and purchase a brand new 504 today! Peugeot also manufactures scooters, mopeds, power tools, knives, as well as other kitchen gear. Peugeot is part of PSA, which includes Peugeot and Citroen - which Peugeot fully acquired in 1975.
  • Options
    someone was driving a new Mitsubishi Eclipse. It looked like a light metallic flake color, sort of purple, but my memory doesn't always serve me and I was totally pissed off from being told that Foghat's show was canceled. But I wanted to chime on for the Eclipse fans that this car looked totally awesome.

The owner either bought it with a cool factory spoiler or he had one custom-installed but wherever it's origin it looked great. This Eclipse looked very much like a sports car and if I was in this market I would shop the Eclipse and the Tibby but very likely would choose the Mitsubishi Eclipse as my choice. The two of us, him with his new Eclipse and me with my new Lancer GTS represented Mitsu well that weekend in Grants, NM.

• Options
    The 2008 Eclipse has a SE option for the GT. It comes with a big wing spoiler (not pretty in my opinion), some cosmetic upgrades and stability control. I was not pleased that you have to buy the pimped-up version to get the stability control.

• Options
    had a little thin spoiler. It barely took up any of the driver's rear view sight away.

It looked custom and it looked unique. I wouldn't be surprised if it was not straight from the Mitsubishi factory. It may have had a thin red reflector built in or one of the "3rd brake lights" being installed today. Overall that Eclipse looked great.

• Options
    OK. Cool. Thanks for the info. Yep, I remember the 504 that was sold over here. Didn't realize that Peugeot has an automobile presence outside of Europe. Thanks for filling me in on the other industries that it deals in, too. Are you hoping that Peugeot will return to the US? Would you buy another if they return?