Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Mazda CX-9 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    edited February 2010
    I am in NJ and have never heard of such taxes,,,if the0.4% is part of the 7% then so be it, but in addition to it?....is this dealer info or your own research?...if it dealer info I will not doubt that he or she wants extra money in the sale....about an exit tax...never heard of that one either, but then I am still here...er..is that another dealer/salesman provided information?..if it is...I doubt it too...
  • Options
    cross_currentcross_current Member Posts: 14
    2010 CX-9 AWD Copper Red in Connecticut
    Bose/Moonroof/MID w/rearview camera
    Power gate
    Roof rails

MSRP $37,700
    Paid-- $35,150 (incl dest fee) + $325 doc fee +taxes, license + 0% 60mths

Thanks aviboy for your help. Our first Mazda and my wife is very pleased with the build quality, features, and aesthetics.
  • Options
    njpathfinder28njpathfinder28 Member Posts: 16
    The .4% is in addition to the 7% tax.
    Here's a link for the NJ tax:
    It's for combined mileage.

http://www.state.nj.us/njbgs/luxvehs.htm

I never heard of it either. I checked it out when a car dealer told me I had to pay over $500 for the "Federal Gas Guzzler Tax", which SUV's are exempt from. The dealer was just mistaken or trying to rip me off.

There really is an "exit tax" in NJ. Not quite sure how it works, but it relates to the selling price of your home. NJ sure does love to tax.

I really like the CX-9 and would just like a "fair" deal. Instead I'm finding the Mazda dealers I have dealt with are applying all sorts of "discounts" or "omissions" to the quoted price and then, when I go to the dealer, I fiind out the car is much more expensive than they quoted.
  • Options
    jcpharmjcpharm Member Posts: 92
    interesting, bought my CX-9 in NJ and combed through my sales receipt. no such charge for that tax. i think the dealer has just incorporated it into their other fees. try a different dealer, perhaps they won't charge you that tax.
  • Options
    Boy do you need help...lol.....the 0.4% is for vehicles $45K or more AND/OR the COMBINED mpg is less than 19...not a CX9 or about 90% of this type of vehicles on the road.....and about the "exit" tax, you got that confused also....EVERYONE that sells a house in NJ pays this tax which a formula that I do not remeber....but has NOTHING to do with moving out of NJ....I know we are the one of MOST HEAVELY taxed state (besides NY and lately CA) but we have not reach that level of unfairness..yet..
  • Options
    ...aviboy..$2600 of msrp of $37500?......I am sorry but I don't think that is a good deal...here in NJ at Wayne Mazda I have seen much better deals than that.....
  • Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    aviboy..$2600 of msrp of $37500?......I am sorry but I don't think that is a good deal...here in NJ at Wayne Mazda I have seen much better deals than that.....

Huh? Where did I post that $2600 off was a good deal? No such words were written by me.

I think you are referring to the person who posted what they bought, and they price they paid and then mentioned my name in the post. I believe they were referring to info I provided about the car. It had nothing to do with pricing.

About Wayne Mazda, they quote low ball prices, and then add in $1,500 + in fees back into the final deal. I deal with them every day. I pay no attention to their quotes because I know the games they play.
  • Options
    ..LOL...I knew you were going to jump...it appear by the message that you were the one involved in the deal..yes they mentioned you...CT...Mazda CX9....and prices...so I put 2 and 2 together and..well...as they said "my bad"...for a minute I thought that my contact "failed me ahead of time"...lol...Wayne Mazda does not inspired confidence...when things appear to good to be true they usually ARE...they post prices on the website that are usually $4 to $5K below sticker..a possibility...but why advertise it..I like the aproach of trying to get the best possible and fair deal...after all I guess you and the wife eat too..right?..lol...lol....I got all your info as a matter of fact I even know how you look like from the dealer website...good looking..usually Mustabg "dudes" are missing teeth...just kidding...lol.
  • Options
    rob1325rob1325 Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2010
    How did I do on this deal:

2010CX-9 GT AWD
    -Power lift gate
    -Navigation
    -Moonrof/Bose system

Dealer installed options,
    -Roof rails
    -Front and Rear splash guards
    -All weather floor mats
    -Cargo net
    -Stainless steel rear bumper guard
    -Moonroof wind deflector
    -Wheel locks
    -Remote Engine start

$36,500 (includes dest.) + $325 Dealer fee + Tax
    Financed through the Bank.
  • Options
    In my opiniom you did beautifully...where are you?....you are talking over $40k with all those goodies,,$39.9 is just the car ..plus now add all the other stuff...whoa!!!
    Good luck and enjoy it with the best of health
  • Options
    cross_currentcross_current Member Posts: 14
    svofan,

I recently purchased the red CX-9 GT AWD you are discussing. Here is some info that may better inform your planned purchase.

1. The 0% financing offer increases the sales price by $1000. So the vehicle I purchased was priced at $34,100 without financing. That is $3,700 (=10%) below MSRP and $300 below the AMEX program price. It also is $1000 below Truecar Factory Invoice price. No complaints from this buyer.

2. The CX-9 AWD model is very popular in New England and priced far below both GMC/Buick, Ford/Mercury and Acura. Not surprising both Mazda (and Subaru) have seen strong sales growth in the region. Dealers move these cars with good profit margins. They are excellent buys.

3. CX-9 inventories are quite low as of February. Very limited selection of GT models in stock, like one per dealer! Until inventories spike or manufacturer incentives increase, dealers will not be inclined to more aggressively discount the rare CX-9 they have in inventory. Now if you wand a Mazda 3 that's a different story.

So, the supply/demand environment is not very favorable currently. If
    you can delay your purchase things may improve in my region. On the other hand I found Mazda dealers to still offer an excellent price (with moderate encouragement...) for the vehicle as I noted above.

Good luck with your purchase.
  • Options
    ...it appear by the message that you were the one involved in the deal..yes they mentioned you...CT...Mazda CX9....and prices...so I put 2 and 2 together and..well...as they said "my bad"...

No biggie. Stuff like that happens all the time. I do it quite frequently myself ;)
  • Options
    Your points are well taken and I ubderstand all the reasons for you thinking that the purchase was a good deal...yes you are right it was good deal consodering all the points...I am lucky in the sense that I have some time, I will be buying in October..about inventories, I thought that Mazda was over it already, but I guess not.....I ahve also noticed that prices are much better in MD specially with Fitz Automall....I have talked to people from NJ doing business with them and iot seems that they are in the up and up when quoting prices...who knows if the savings are significant I will drive the 3 hours for a better deal....
    enjoy the CX9 in he best of health
  • Options
    mk_reefmk_reef Member Posts: 2
    CX-9 GT AWD
    + Navigation
    + Moonroof
    + Power lift gate
    + Wheel logs
    + Cargo net

MSRP: 39,205
    Paid: 35,780 with 0% for 60 months Mazda financing
    (34,780 if I arranged my own financing)

so $3425 off MSRP with promotional financing
    or $4425 off MSRP without promotional financing

Good price, plus I was offered $1300 more for my trade-in than another area dealer who only offered $3000 off MSRP (so a $1725 difference).

This is in New England.
  • Options
    Good price...where in New England?.....can you share all info?..thanks and good luck with the new car
  • Options
    MSRP: 39,205
    Paid: 35,780 with 0% for 60 months Mazda financing

That is about $1,000 under invoice. Great job. I'm willing to bet you purchased from Ira Mazda in Mass. Am I correct??
  • Options
    jnunes7750jnunes7750 Member Posts: 8
    Good Luck! This sounds like a fair deal, I'm in NE (RI) and looking for the same car less the nav.

J~
  • Options
    beradberad Member Posts: 31
    Can anyone give me a ball park and of what the costco buying program looks like with the CX9? Is it typically above or below invoice and how much? Any info will be helpful. I do not mind haggling if I have to, but if its a strong deal without the aggravation of making a salesperson cry then I will go down that path. I am looking at getting an AWD touring here in Austin Texas.
  • Options
    aztcufrogaztcufrog Member Posts: 7
    A few hundred dollars below invoice. Seems to me after I bought mine last week that it's about as good as it's going to get. Maybe a few hours more and you could eke out a few hundred dollars more but not worth the hassle to me.
  • Options
    Thanks that's what I needed to know. I am with you about going the road of less hassle if the price is fair.
  • Options
    mike474mike474 Member Posts: 2
    I am planning on buying an AWD Touring with Bose Audio/Moon roof package. The dealer here is quoting us $31,700+ taxes with s-plan pricing along with the current incentives($1000 discount in stead of 0%). I need a new car by the end of may. Do you guys know, based on experience from the prior year, if the incentives are going to get better in the next couple of months?

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mike I am not sure anyone has a crystal ball on this. According to trends from truecar.com - the CX9 is selling for $1500 less than it was in October. I am in a similar boat, I need a car by the end of April and I am wondering if I should strike now. I am going to be financing my car so the 0% is a much better value than the $1000 rebate and getting something like a 5% loan on $30K from my credit union then paying $4K in interest over 60 months. I think if finance incentives fade away then the cash incentives will go up, again a best guess. If I was a cash buyer I might wait a month or two.
  • Options
    gobluejdgobluejd Member Posts: 41
    Do you mean $32,700 then using the $1000 discount, so then your total is $31,700 (not $30,700)? Typically S-Plan pricing is right around invoice.
  • Options
    gobluejdgobluejd Member Posts: 41
    Also from what I see (and what my dealer tells me) is the deals are the best around April-May (also with lease rates). My dealer (he is a friend) said the CX9 numbers are not good so far and is thinking Mazda will try and push it more in the next few months. FYI I just ordered mine just like yours but with more options on Splan. It's built and now awaiting shipment which I hope to take delivery mid April.
  • Options
    My dealer (he is a friend) said the CX9 numbers are not good so far and is thinking Mazda will try and push it more in the next few months.

CX-9 sales were up 22% over Feb09, and are up 4.2% YoY. I don't think your friend has accurate information. Maybe HE has trouble selling them....
  • Options
    mike474mike474 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for the info guys...Since I am arranging my own financing, I think I will wait for a month or two then. Based on your experience, is it really taking more than a month for the delivery?

Also, the price quote of $31700 already includes the $1000 cash incentive in stead of 0% financing.
  • Options
    shopper19shopper19 Member Posts: 6
    I had a question for you guys. I've re-entered the market for a CX9, and am currently looking at 2 options- either a 1.) Touring FWD or a 2.) GT FWD with the following options Bose/ Pwr lift gate/ remote start. I've seen sticker prices for close to 33K on both of these. These were the lowest I saw. Any idea how much lower I can expect to get these for. Is it realistic to shoot for 31 K for the first and 32K
    for the 2nd. Thanks
  • Options
    njpathfinder28njpathfinder28 Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2010
    Shopper19,

Your best bet is to get a bunch on online quotes from a number of dealers.
    It will give you an indication of where the pricing is.

Just beware that there are dealers who will "low ball" you.

I dealt with that. I found that Wayne Mazda (in NJ), has a great selection of CX-9's in stock and provided a really low internet quote. But, when I went there the price went up and up. I walked away when the price was more than $2,400 higher than the internet quote. Wanye isn't the only dealer that does that.

I'd rather deal with a dealer that is up front with the price, even if it winds up costing me a bit more. Luckily I found one that was that way and had the car I want.

It's best to find out the "out-the-door" cost of the car. That way you'll find out what they didn't include in the quote.

The CX-9 is a great car, BTW, but shopping for one can give you quite a head ache! Good Luck!
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I am figuring out what I should aim for in the CX-9 wherever I get it from. I'm also comparing it with with the Highlander, MDX, and the Veracruz. CX-9s handles well and have the best style, but the interior could use a few more touches.
  • Options
    kenzo24kenzo24 Member Posts: 4
    Just got back from Ira Mazda after looking at the CX 9. I am down to the CX 9 and Acura MDX Tech package. Both are nice and each has strong points. After seeing the Tech package, I came away overwhelmed. There is so much going on with dashboard that to me it was distracting. Now I am leaning towards the CX 9 based on looks, features, cost and buying experience so far. I visited Ira Mazda here in Mass. and from the start they have been great. No pressure, answered all my questions, broke out my trade for the new car price and genuinely seem very friendly. It is probably the best car buying experience that I have ever had. They are quoting either $1,000 below invoice with 60 mos. 0% financing, or $2,000 below invoice with other bank financing (don't know what the rate would be.) Does sound like a good deal and are others seeing similar pricing now? Side note: NHTSA just issued a recall notice on the (2010 model) heated front seats issue (overheating) - issue recall number is 10V051000. The repair - Dealers will install an additional ground harness on the seat heater control system.
  • Options
    Yes, that's a very fair price based what I saw when I did my shopping two weeks ago in Arizona. I did buy at about $700 below invoice with the 60 month 0% interest.
  • Options
    Hi kenzo24,
    I have been looking in RI and nearby MA. I have not contacted Ira Mazda though. Also, I have not received any prices even near 1000 below invoice with the 0% financing.
    I'm thinking I'll call these guys for a price even though I'll need to drive a bit to get there.
    Did they seem to have plenty in stock, or are they giving prices and then finding the cars?
    Thanks for the help....
    BTW - I also liked the MDX, but I think the CX9 is a better deal... :-)
    J~
  • Options
    They don't have a lot in stock maybe two Grand Touring and not sure on the other models, but they will find you one that will fit your needs. They did mention if you don't buy one off the lot it will be somewhat more. How much I don't know. I also forgot to ask if they had more inventory coming in before the end of March. I think this is when the 0% financing ends. Does anyone know if the 0% financing is a regular promotion or is it rare?
  • Options
    What prices are you guys getting, say on the GT AWD with Nav./powerlift gate? (kenzo, I hope you're not a rep from the dealership. No offense).
    I'm down the same options- CX9s or MDX.
  • Options
    No offense taken.. I am Honda Pilot owner that was originally looking at the Acura MDX. Really love my Pilot, but didn't like the new version both inside and out. Trust me I had my guard up when I first entered the dealership to look at the CX 9, but they were great. By contrast looking at the Acura MDX (looked three times) and was ready to talk numbers the most recent time, the salesman couldn't answer a few, I thought, basic questions about the tech package and they wouldn't talk numbers until I took another test drive. As mentioned before I thought Tech package dashboard was overwelming and started to not want it as much especially with a higher price. Don't get me wrong I haven't purchased anything yet and going back today. It could all fall apart and I will let you know, but so far it has been a good experience. On dealerrater.com they get a 4.8 out 5, wouldn't think they would fake that many reviews. Just trying to help others with my experience since I think other posts have been very informative to me.
  • Options
    It's great that you had such a positive experience. I think you're right. It doesn't seem worth the additional 10K for an MDX, even though they have the name right now. Add the APR and the difference is more like 17 K in the long run. The CX9 handles beautifully besides having good style. I don't like bargaining. I just want a fair price, but I guess the market trumps. Let us know how you make out.
  • Options
    jrumermanjrumerman Member Posts: 6
    Hi Everyone!

So I have a family member that is a Ford retiree and he gave me a PIN to use for the Mazda S-Plan. I went to the dealer today and wanted to share my experience so that maybe somebody could chime and let me know if it went as it should have.

Here's the CX-9 I wanted:

2010 Touring AWD Dolphin Gray Mica
    + Bose Audio/Moonroof
    + Power liftgate

The price they quoted was the following (retail in parentheses):
    Invoice: 29571 (31955)
    Bose: 1939 (2255)
    Liftgate: 344 (400)
    Destination: 750
    Total: $32,604

They even gave me an invoice printout at my request so the numbers seem legit.

There is a $1000 cash back bonus available, but that's only if you don't use the 0% financing for 60 months, which I plan to. Also, there's a $500 loyalty bonus, but I'm not currently a Mazda owner.

Finally, they don't have the car in stock and I guess there isn't anyone nearby so they have to order it. They said it would take 3 months(!) which means that the 0% financing could be gone by then, but then again there also could be a different discount package available at that point.

Anyways, that was my experience with the S-Plan. I haven't placed the order yet.

Can anybody verify this? Is this is a good deal with or without the S-Plan?

Thanks community!!!

Joel
  • Options
    I don't know what the S-plan is, but I've tracked prices on this site and that number sounds right. The range for a GT AWD with Bose and Powerlift gate has been between 32K and 33K. I have a dealership here 35,900 for that, which is too high.
  • Options
    Well what a difference a day makes... Went to go and finalize the deal with Ira Mazda on Saturday. As I posted before, my first impression was very positive and got a great deal right away. Going back on Saturday met with the salesman (KD) who continued to be great to deal with. My finance took the car for a test drive and liked the car as well. I told KD that I was ready to buy. He came back with a printed version of the cost of the car. Unfornuatedly now it was a $1,000 higher than what we agree on. They needed to get the exact car that I wanted from somewhere else. I told him that I didn't want to pay the extra $1K. Then the sales manager (GC) came in and the whole deal went south. He came across like a typical sales guy with the heavy pressure and why he was losing money on the deal giving me too much for my car. I walked out and he followed me saying that he would give me $2K below invoice on another car with a different color. After fifteen minutes of high pressure, I said let me look at the car. Then he realised that I was buying a Grand Touring model after the saleman reminded him of what I was there to buy, and then said he doesn't have any GT in stock . Sales manager was a typcial jerk, and you could see that the saleman was starting to get upset or embarassed. In the end what I thought was going to be a great experience turned out to be pretty much the same as other car buying experiences. Why don't these guys learn. If you can't honor a deal or they don't like your deal, shake hands and say we tried and leave it at that. Buying a car should be pleasureable experience not a grudge match. In the end, KD the saleman was great and feel bad for him.
  • Options
    haleypophaleypop Member Posts: 4
    I know that feeling. I went to buy a Honda Odyssey a couple years ago. When the "Sales Manager" started the high pressure cry baby routine, I walked out. Best feeling I'd had in a long time. I went to their competitor 50 miles away and got the Odyssey I wanted for $100 less and courtesy.
    There is no need to take crap from a sales person.
  • Options
    vancouver83vancouver83 Member Posts: 30
    They already know, while you were smart and tough, 5 other people may have taken the deal.

Its all part of their act/routine (good guy - bad manager). Beleive me, I've been in the exact same situation and have walked away. Dont feel bad for the sales person, he is in on it. To get more insight, read the article here on Edmunds regarding the reporter who worked as a sales rep (undercover).

Good luck and always be prepared to walk away- You'll here from them again.
  • Options
    arbysarbys Member Posts: 12
    Does the $32k-$33k include tax?

Also, can anyone recommend any NJ dealers (pref. northern or central) that offers a good experience--if that is even possible!

Thanks.
  • Options
    buyer101buyer101 Member Posts: 80
    arbys-
    I bought my 2010 CX9 from Schwartz Mazda in Red Bank back in Nov 2009.

Agreed its not north or central Jersey, but they are good to deal with and I can recommend a salesman if you like.
  • Options
    shopper19-

A CX-9 GT AWD with the moon roof / bose audio and power liftgate has an S-Plan price around $35,000, give or take a few dollars depending on any other additional accessories there might be.

$32-$33K is not the S-Plan price for a GT with those options.
  • Options
    pcx1pcx1 Member Posts: 6
    Got a quote for 32k + TTL for CX9 Touring AWD w/ moonroof, Bose, power liftgate, and roof rack.
    I think it's a good deal, what do you guys think?

Thanks
  • Options
    icareyourcaricareyourcar Member Posts: 2
    that's about $800 below invoice+destination. I think it's a good deal.
    Do you take 0% finance?
  • Options
    icareyourcaricareyourcar Member Posts: 2
    Got a quote for $28200 + TTL+TAX for CX9 Touring FWD from Costco Auto Program.
    it's about $800 below (invoice+destination).
    If I can still take 0% finance, do you guys think this a good deal?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    I'm would like to take advantage of the 0% financing but really have not received any details from a dealer on this yet.
    Does anyone know if Mazda lets you finance the entire purchase or are there some restrictions involved?
    On the Mazda site there are some "fine print" details...I'm wondering how this is working out in the real world.

Thanks J~
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I believe if you have qualifyig credit they would do the whole thing, but many people will need some amount down. The fine print on the Web site says basically that. But that's the only stipulation. I put down roughly half the amount and financed the rest since I had some cash in the bank. But I think they would have only required me to put down $3K or so to get the loan started. I don't know if they require Gap insurance (since I had so much equity from the start) but they did mention it when I was signing the paperwork so they may have a requirement for that if you're putting down very little..
  • Options
    coolisjadecoolisjade Member Posts: 2
    agree with the post above. what i did was i came prepared with a pre-approved 4.2% from Chase (found through bankrate.com). I negotiated with the $1,000 minus assuming I was using my own financing. When I discussed with the F&I guy, I wanted to see if we were approved for the 0% APR and he said if we could get approved for the 4.2% we should be approved for the 0% so I ended up with the 0% and just added the $1000 back to the total of the car. We ended up paying $35,900 for a 2010 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD Pearl White Mica with Navi Moon Roof and a few additional extras. Downed 10k and ended up financing 28k