Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    We have experienced a transmission delay when shifting from Reverse to Drive and Park to reverse. Delay says a 3 to 5 second delay is normal. Should I push him to take a closer look? Warranty expires in a few months and i would hate for this to be an unresolved problem.

Also, am I the only one who seems to have this thing back in the shop all the time- loose trim pieces, heater box replacement, bad switches, loose parking brake, etc? Not major problems (other than the heater core), but it has been in a lot!

02 Exp Limited
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    The backglass can shatter, so don't slam it. Go ahead and get the recall done. You're not the only one to have trouble, the 01/02 Explorers had a lot of teething problems. As far as the transmission, it's impossible to guess but if you feel like it's a worsening situation then it's not "normal." If the dealer won't give you satisfaction then try one who will.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I would get it fixed when you can, but Ford is worried about an injury if it falls off in the meantime, which is why they're asking you not to use it in the meantime. Personally, I'd use it in the meantime. I'd be careful and wary of it, but I'd use it. No way I'd be that inconvenienced because odds are, it's not gonna break.
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    The shift solenoid located within the transmsssion has been a widespread problem. This could be the cause. I just had this replaced under warranty in my 02 Explorer XLT. Please note you have to drop the pan to perform this repair.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    How much did it cost you to get your Explorer checked out at Auto Zone? They hooked it up to a computer, right?
  • ogbonnaogbonna Member Posts: 25
    My check Engine Light came on and I took my XLT Expl to the Auto Zone people They have a hand Analyser(sp)
    which they pluged into the truck,to come back to tell which plug was at fault. This was free, I did by the plugs. They did not tell me I had too.
    Thats what I thought...I remembered hearing that Auto Zone would do a free check, but it was hearsay, so I didn't know whether to trust it. Thanks for the info.
  • infinitimninfinitimn Member Posts: 146
    I got the notice but thought it is the glass only, not the entire liftgate.
  • infinitimninfinitimn Member Posts: 146
    Found the recall notice, 04S20. It says you can use the liftgate, just don't open the glass only.
  • pulleydogpulleydog Member Posts: 61
    We're on our 4th Explorer/Mountaineer - currently driving an '04 Mountaineer Luxury w/V-8.
    Compared to our '02 Mountaineer w/V-6 - this '04 is better in almost every aspect except the RIDE. We had Goodyear Wranglers on the '02 and the ride was pretty comfortable for an SUV. This new Mountaineer seems like we're riding in a truck with over-inflated tires; real bouncy and we feel just about every imperfection in the road (Yes, I've checked the pressure). The tires that came with this truck are the BFGoodrich Rugged Trails. Either the tires are CRAP, or they made modifications to the suspension that I feel have compromised the ride. Are there any other multi-year ('02 - '05) owners out there that have noticed the same thing? I'm very tempted to replace the tires in hopes that it will correct the situation, even though these tires are still fairly 'new'. But I thought I'd ask here first. Any thoughts??
    We had an 02-6 with Goodyears, now have an 04 Premier AWD V-8 Premier with Goodrich tires and the ride is a bit rougher, but we thought it was the AWD. Frankly though, it doesn't bother us much, and we like this Mountaineer enough, we'll likely buy it out of the lease when it's up if nobody hits it or anything else happens to it. One thing we like better about the Goodrich tires, the Goodyears whined like Liberals at a Toby Keith concert! The Goodrich tires are much quieter...
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    have an '02 explorer with goody 'ap's. they are noisy and rough depending on the pavement, but the are pretty good in rain\snow, so i'm keeping them. after all, i got my suv to get me where i need to go in bad weather conditions.
    it is kind of strange, but these tires are most uncomfortable at around 50 degrees farenheit(?). the whole vehicle goes into 'zen' at 80 mph. a major reason why i like it. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • pulleydogpulleydog Member Posts: 61
    Thanks nvbanker & eplorerx4 for your feedback. It's funny how different people can have such different experiences with the same tire. Did you ever read the reviews on Tirerack or 1010tires? One person will be raving about the tires saying its the best tire he's ever had and on the next review the person is calling the tire a POS saying it's dangerous and should be pulled off the road. But I guess tires will feel different on different vehicles, even different between sizes. That's why I wanted to hear from Explorer/Mountaineer owners. But I do not remember my Wranglers on the '02 being noisy or whiney and I'm pretty sensitive to the noise a tire makes...I don't want to hear anything except the stereo when I'm driving. I still may buy a set of GY Fortera's or even Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country's in the hope that they ride better than these BFGs. Anyone want to buy a set of barely used Rugged Trails?? ;-)
  • tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    My 03 MM V-8 has 68k miles on the Rugged Trails.... and they still have alot of tread left. I do a lot of highway driving and find them to be fairly quit.I will replace them before winter. I had Goodyears on an 02 MM that Ford bought back (long story) and it had the Goodyears (cannot recall which type) on it... they were awful. I like you am very sensitive about tire noise when driving. I have read reviews about the GY Fortera's in fact Consumer Reports rates them best in the most recent SUV tire review. I was surprised to see how the Michelins performed, the LTX's were rated better than the Cross Terrains, the Rugged Trails were not even on the list.
    02 Explorer - Gooyear AP, 26000 miles or so. I have had a similar problem with the ride - bouncy bouncy bouncy, feel all road imperfections, etc. I am not at all pleased with the ride. i have the ires inflated to manufacturer spec. i will say once i let the air go low and the ride was awful, but on a given day its nothing special. having spent limited time in a couple of trailblzaers, the ride on these are a dream!
    02 Exp- when i leave the message center on the fuel remaining (xxx miles to E) the "calculating Fuel" message pops up an awful lot. My V6 is not a flex fuel model, and the manual says this crops up on flex fuel models only. it is not uncommon for this to pop up once every day or every other day. anybody have similar problems?

i will say, on the good side, the miles to E is pretty accurate.
  • helpkchelpkc Member Posts: 1
    2002 Explorer XLT - Hello, I would appreciate any help out there. Our 2002 Explorer has stalled 3 seperate times while we were simply driving down the street. It usually stalls around 30 mph and without warning. The first time it happened, the "CHECK GAGE" and "CHECK ENGINE" lights came on after it stalled. All fluid levels were normal, and it had recently been serviced. It was purchased new and taken to the dealer for all scheduled maintenance. We took it to the dealer and they had it two different occassions for about 20 days. They, of course, cannot duplicate the problem. The car has 27,000 miles on it, and we never had any problems until this. Any ideas on what the problem could be?
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    2002 Explorer XLT - Hello, I would appreciate any help out there. Our 2002 Explorer has stalled 3 seperate times while we were simply driving down the street. It usually stalls around 30 mph and without warning. The first time it happened, the "CHECK GAGE" and "CHECK ENGINE" lights came on after it stalled. All fluid levels were normal, and it had recently been serviced. It was purchased new and taken to the dealer for all scheduled maintenance. We took it to the dealer and they had it two different occassions for about 20 days. They, of course, cannot duplicate the problem. The car has 27,000 miles on it, and we never had any problems until this. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

I would guess a bad ground on the computer. Not that it is identical, but I had similar problems with my 88 Bronco II and it turned out to be the ground coming from the "black box". I realize that todays cars are more sophisticated but the symptoms sound very similar.
    do you know when cr did the tire test? they are located about 50 miles from me, and we haven't had any snow in about 6 months :)
  • tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    Not sure when the tires were tested but the article appeared in the November 2004 issue.
  • lyevaralyevara Member Posts: 2
    Greetings!

Hey, I had a very similar problem a few years back with a Buick LeSabre. It stalled a few times while I was driving it. It also would not start sometimes for no reason and after a while I would try again and it would start just fine. The problem in this case ended-up being the crankshaft sensor - a $30 part.
    Has anyone else had trouble getting their Goodyear Wranglers balanced? I've had my '99 XLS for almost a year and a half now, and I can't keep the tires balanced. It always rides rough, and there is a very pronounced "whomp" from them now. Any ideas?
    Check the fronts for scalloping or feather-edging. Tires with big chunky tread get unbalanced real quickly when they're wearing unevenly. If that's the problem, you may be looking at new front end parts like upper ball joints.
  • eastlakeeastlake Member Posts: 2
    My 4x4 does not work in my explorer. When I turn on the car the 4x4 low indicator light comes on, but not the 4x4 high. When i press the 4x4 high button nothing happens. Any advice??
    When I had my Explorer in for service a year ago, they told me the tires were cupping, and informed me to get new tires. I told them that I'd just bought the thing from them 3 months ago, and was told it had new tires on it when I got it, so no, I won't get new tires. Its now a year later, and it hasn't gotten any better. I was also told that cupping was just a characteristic of a 4x4, and I'd have to get used to it. The vehicle I had before was a 4x4, and I never had any problems like that (although it had manual lock-out hubs, if that makes any difference).
    No, cupping tires is not "characteristic" of any vehicle. That's typical dealer bull when they don't want to look at something. You most likely have a front end alignment problem or worn parts.
    Could be the shift motor stuck or failing, which used to be about a $400 repair, but you may still be under warranty. How many miles do you have?
    Do you think it would pay to have the front end checked out? I wouldn't dare take it to the dealer, I've been jipped too many times by them. I trust my local garage much more, plus they can do my warranty work the same as the dealer. I'm thinking that when I get paid this month (us "poor" county school employees only get paid once a month), I'll take it to them and first off have them check the front end parts for any signs of wear, and then have the front end aligned again. I think I'll also rotate the tires front to back and see if that helps any. Any other ideas or suggestions? They are appreciated!
    Yes, that sounds like a good plan.
  • wayne9269wayne9269 Member Posts: 12
    hey there people. i have a 2004 explorer xlt with the audiophile option installed. it says their are 7 speakers yet i can only find 5. two in the front two doors, two in the rear doors and the sub. in the back cargo area. does anyone know the location of the other two speakers as i can't seem to find them. just got the vehicle so i want to make sure these aren't missing or burnt up as this was bought used. thanks all
  • eastlakeeastlake Member Posts: 2
    It has about 52k, out of warranty. Can the motor go bad even with low use? I have probably only used it about 10 times. Where do you think would be the best place to take it to find out what is wrong? Ford dealer, or could a local mechanic work on it? Would this be the type of this that would show up if I brought it to Auto Zone to get it hooked to the computer?
    Thanks for your help.
    the fronts are seperates so there are two in each front door (4 total front)
    1 in each rear door = 2
    1 subwoofer.
    4 + 2 + 1 = 7.

it would have been more obvious if the tweeters and woofers in the front were physically seperate, i.e. the tweeters on the A pillar as is normally seen
  • qvo_vadisqvo_vadis Member Posts: 1
    Explorer 2001 XLT – When driving with steady speed I can fill that engine is loosing power (and hear that it sounds differently). If I try to accelerate, speed and rpm stay the same. What I have to do to accelerate is, release acceleration pedal and depress again. It usually happens when driving with lower speed and uphill. Any idea what can be a cause of it?
    It's easy, anyone could do it, but it may not even be that, so take it to someone you can trust to check it out first.
    I'm no expert of course, but my thoughts would first say fuel line, then would run into transmission, torque converter...could be any of those things, but I'd think fuel line first. Thats the cheapest and easiest fixed.
  • coltpeytcoltpeyt Member Posts: 10
    Greetings -

Purchased this vehicle new 12/23/04 - $34K

It currently has 34K in highway mileage. Although the Dealership has been good - it's there today for the 3rd time in 10 mos.

1st time - the shifting became sluggish 90 days ago - when making sharp turns in parking lots - it felt like the 4wd was catching and releasing. Dealership replaced "module in transmission". Seemed better.

2nd visit was because I heard a clicking sound when pulling away from stop signs - Dealer said - "Replaced rearend". I don't tow with this vehicle.

Now for today's visit - the transmission is not always smoothly shifting,a nd it intermiitently catches when I'm making sharp turns it parking lots - like it went out of gear.

All maint and oil changes have been as prescribed - some by Ford Dealer - when they can get me in,a nd they actually answer the telephone - other repairs done by Factory authorized service centers.

Anyone else having similar issues - as of today I'm calling Ford and possibly looking into "Lemon Law" possibilities. The power in this V8 (4.6L) sucks... Gas mileage 18 approx on highway - not too bad..

Been a Ford Owner for 20 years - some Mercury too. But my Wife's last 1997 Expedition - should of been my last Ford (She has the Volvo SUV now and LOVES it) - I went to buy another Mountaineer this time, but they didn't have th color I wanted, and took the Explorer...

Bill Ford was right - they have quality issues...

Thoughts please?

Craig
  • jrc346jrc346 Member Posts: 337
    Had a similar problem in my 99 Expedition 4X4. The dealer had to replace both hall effect sensors on the tranfsercase. Total cost was about $200. The problem was that my 4X4 felt like it was engaged all of the time, and IT WAS!
    The best of luck to you. OTOH, the Expedition has been a terrific vehicle, now at 113,000 miles.
  • akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Three visits in 10 mos and 34k miles is NOT bad at all. Its a car, its made of nuts and bolts by humans. I've had vehicles that were in the service dept 3x/week. I would say your Explorer is probably average, or better than average.
    do you mean you've been in for service 3 times in 34k?
    Three visits in 10 mos and 34k miles is NOT bad at all. Its a car, its made of nuts and bolts by humans. I've had vehicles that were in the service dept 3x/week. I would say your Explorer is probably average, or better than average.

Maybe average for a Ford but certainly not for a normal vehicle. Sorry, but having been a former Exploder owner I'm a little bitter towards Ford still.

I've had to bring my current car in for service once in three years and 52,000 miles....besides the routine oil changes.
  • ceadsceads Member Posts: 24
    I HAD a 03 honda Pilot Ex-L. I was the worst car i have ever owned repair after repairs. Ive owned over 35 cars in 20 years . In 20k i was a the the dealer for repairs 4 times and it had 2 recalls on top of that . I traded it off , i was tired of driving 60 to 100 miles to get it worked on , and staying there all day or having someone follow me . If needed i can give you all the details , I Traded in a EB Expedition 4X4 1997 with 75k and had no problems . I currently have a Limited Explorer and love it
    So you agree that three visits in 10 months is abnormal right?
  • ceadsceads Member Posts: 24
    i would say it high . Mine was in about 5k i bought it used with 16k on it and it was Certified by Honda , I sold it with about 21k .
    if coltpeyt had the transmission flushed. i know it is supposed to be sealed for life, but i don't think it is working out that way. my '02 shifts much better after having it done about 8k ago.
    I seriously wonder which bonehead thought to seal these transmissions for life, when it is much more likely that they will have a longer life and ultimately a more satisfied customer if it is service friendly. I wonder if the 5R55E is sealed on the new Mustangs? I don't think they are on the Rangers.
    I don't think you understand what I have said. I have taken it back to the Dealer for the same issue in the last 90 days with the same complaint (Started at 28K miles). I say it goes in and out of gear when making sharp turns when parking, and at times it has shifted rough. Same complaint 3 times.

1st Visit to the Dealer - they said - Solenoid in transmission failed.

2nd visit - similar complaint - they said - rear end needed replaced.

3rd visit this week - they said they didn't find my problem. They said a "Master technician" and Service Manager road in the car, and they discussed my complaint with a "Factory Rep" and could find no issue apparent. When I came to pick up the vehicle from the dealer they offered to have someone ride with me to show them what I was seeing. Guess what - it did exactly what I said. As I accelerated over 55 mph it pulled hard left, and then when pulling into a parking space it felt like the front diff was binding and bucked. The Service Manager was embarrassed and said he had no clue what would due either of these things, but it was a "Definite problem" similar to a "torque steer" issue they had no experience with.

I don't know why you would expect major failures in a new vehicle before 120,000 miles, but in 25 years and over 10 new vehicles - this is not normal quality to be expected with 3 major component failures, and the dealership's obvious failure to diagnose a problem. Are you a Ford Employee????

I have contacted the Attorney that wrote Virginia's lemon law, and they have agreed to take my case if Ford does not 100% capitulate (Contingency basis). According to Virginia law they only have 3 attempts to repair the same complaint by a Consumer within the 1st 18 months of a new vehicle being sold - I think all would agree they have failed... I have written Ford a demand letter, and emailed such to their Board of Directors. Buyers beware - Ford quality has gone down the tubes at least on this "Lemon".. Ifg you have a new 2004 Explorer - don't wait until warranty expiration if you see the slightest issue..
    Thanks to all that have replied pro and con - your insight and exdperience are appreciated...

Craig
    The same bonehead who couldn't find a way to route the dipstick tube from the bottom to the top of the the engine was the bonehead who came up with the "sealed for life" idea......
    Ford needs to give boneheads the day off when it comes to such things;) Are things that cramped under the hood? My wife's Explorer (2000) seems cramped, but at least there is a dipstick tube for the trans. She's got close to 80,000 on it-been a good truck.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is interested in talking with a 2004 Ford Explorer Owner who has experienced clunking when it goes from park to reverse when cold. This sounds like the tranny/solenoid problem some of you have been complaining about.

If you are interested and willing to be interviewed on camera - please email sylvia@edmunds.com TODAY with your daytime contact info and city/state.

Thanks!