Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Explorer Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I love the oil wars :-)

Check out the Synthetic motor oil and Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2 discussions too. And check out the analysis posts in them.

Shifty has a good post from 2 weeks ago in the Slippery board; 'nuff said.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    hoopiehoopie Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Ford Explorer 4WD that stalls when you start it up in cold weather. I have to start it four times before it stays running. It can sit for about two hours then I have to go through the whole process again. This only happens when the temp gets below 40 degrees. So frustrating.....
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like an area for Akangl's expertise!

Some people say to turn your ignition on for 3 or 4 seconds before cranking the engine. This gives the fuel injectors time to "prime" and helps start the car. Worth a try (is it really below 40 where you are right now, or are you planning ahead?)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    hoopiehoopie Member Posts: 3
    Planning ahead, considering buying a new vehicle! I hate to go through this again this coming winter.
  • Options
    swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    basically, I suspect sensors, vacuum, EGR choking on carbon, and plugs.
  • Options
    travellertraveller Member Posts: 5
    Update August 17/2004. Complete rear axle was replaced May 31/04. Rear end whine came back with a vengance in July and during a 4,000 mile trip to Texas and back we had to use earplugs!!. Noise is very loud at ALL speeds. Ron Carter Ford in Alvin, TX said it was the worst they have ever heard. Anyway, my dealer in Canada ordered another complete rear axle (3.73 Limited slip) on 2002 Explorer 4x4 Limited and is replacing today. Parts were very hard to get and had to be ordered from the 'supplier' whoever that is. 2 weeks to deliver. Hoping the second try fixes it permantly.
  • Options
    wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    What engine do you have? If it's the 4.0 my first thought is "intake gaskets." Typical symptoms are OK fast idle operation in cold weather, but once the idle drops down it stalls until the engine warms up fully.
  • Options
    tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    How were you able to pinpoint the whine to the rearend. I have a 03 MM with 63k miles V8 and 3.55 rear end, and when I brought it in for the 60k mile check I told them about a whining noise... their claim 1) it was the tires, and 2)that noise in normal. My noise seems to be coming more from the front end but I cannot really locate it. It must be bad as my wife drove it the other day asked what that awful noise was. Any thoughts? Does anyone have any TSB numbers?
  • Options
    travellertraveller Member Posts: 5
    It was VERY obviously coming from the rear of the vehicle. A good clue that it was the rearend was because the noise would go away completely if you took your foot off the accelerator and coasted. I have a printout of a Ford 'SYMPTOM CODE INDEX' #509000 - Driveline Axle concerns. The noise in a 3.55 rear axle is number 17641 which states '2002-2004 Explorer 4DR/Mountaineer and 2003-2004 Aviator with 3.55 Axle - Rear Axle Noise - Certified rear axle or improved gear set available. Some vehicles above may exhibit a rear axle gear whine above the normal noise level' It goes on to tell what part to order depending on Limited slip and/or IVD.
    PS Mine was number 17736 for the 3.73 axle. I have my vehicle home now and the SILENCE IS DEAFENING :-)
  • Options
    tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    Thanks...
  • Options
    mike_smike_s Member Posts: 8
    After about 8K miles on my 2004 XLT Explorer XLT (V8-Auto) I noticed a high pitched chirp everytime the engine load changed, typically at shift points. This only occurred when the A/C compressor was on. After two separate visits to Conshohocken Ford (PA) they gave me the standard line about reporting the problem to Ford Tech Support and waiting for them to respond. I recognized this as their way of avoiding a lemon law case as the three strike rule could not be invoked. During the two visits they first replaced the A/C clutch and then the entire A/C compressor assembly.

These repairs did not solve the problems hence the call to Ford Tech. I allowed 60 days to pass and after 3 follow up calls during that time I got sick of waiting so I visited Bergey Ford in Springhouse, PA.

I described the problem to the service writer as he was unable to test ride the vehicle with me during my visit. I returned 5 days later, dropped off the car and the following day was told they could not duplicate the described problem. I returned to the dealer at 4:30 and took a ride with a technician who promptly acknowledged that he heard the noise and suspected the A/C compressor. (I did not tell them the car was previously in for the same problem an another dealer.)

I left the car overnight and waited for them to tell me of their findings. At 5:00 the next day I was told that they determined that the "air gap" on the A/C clutch was out by 2/1000" and this was probably the cause. After playing around with it for another day they solved the problem but upon returning from the road test the noise returned. It was determined that a new compressor was in order which they located at another dealer 10 miles away. The next day they replaced the compressor/clutch and at 2:00 called to say that the car was ready and the noise was gone. They also told me that when checking vehicle history they saw that Conshohocken had worked on the same problem but that they not only left the case open but cross threaded the engine block mounting hole and destroyed a number of factory hose connections.

I am crossing my fingers at this point and stand ready to file my lemon law claim if the problem re surfaces. Suffice it to say I WILL NOT return to Conshohocken Ford (A Kennedy Dealership) for service.
  • Options
    efitzpefitzp Member Posts: 1
    Hello it sounds like you have a handle on ford if you can advise on the lemon law and any other usefull advise please do so thank you
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Which engine do you have? There is a chirping issue with some pulleys on the 4.0L engine, in Rangers and Explorers. It's possible that is what you're hearing as the engine attitude changes.
  • Options
    bill11bill11 Member Posts: 1
    Are there any mechanics here that can tell me how to turn the traction control off? Do not ask why!!
    Thanks
  • Options
    kandjkandj Member Posts: 5
    Has anybody experienced a high pitch whistling noise coming through the front end of the car. Possibly through the air vents or windshield. This occurs when the air conditioner is on max air at a setting of 2 on up. And when you are driving between atleast 55 mph on up. Also this occurs when the temperature is hot 90 degrees on up.
    Thanks,
    Jim
  • Options
    Has anybody experienced a high pitch whistling noise coming from the front end of the explorer? It happens when the air is on max and set to anywhere above level 2. Also the temperature outside must be hot around 90 degrees or above. It also happens when you are traveling 55 mph or more. Sometimes we will hear the noise and other times we wont hear it. When you do hear it you need earplugs because the sound is just so loud. We will be hitting 36,000 miles real soon just wondering what it is and if we should purchase an ext warranty. One dealership said it was a defect in the 2002 and 2003 explorers and there is nothing they can do. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
  • Options
    Have you actually left it with the dealer for repair, or just called around? You need to leave it for service and at the very least get a work order stated the problem couldn't be duplicated. And if, after leaving it for diagnostics, the dealer gives you the same "defect" line, just ask him if "defects" are covered under the Ford base warranty?

It sounds like a belt squeal to me, if I am reading your description right. There are a number of problems on the new Explorers including belt tensioners that don't maintain tension and A/C compressor clutch problems overloading the belt and causing slippage.
  • Options
    Yes, I have actually taken it to a dealership for it to be looked at. The first time, he went for a test drive with me and the sound did not occur. So he told me to bring it in when it is making the sound. So I brought it in and was told that they could not look at it because they were too busy. So we took it to another dealership and the guy wouldn't go for a drive he just told us that it was a defect and he also has the same problem with his explorer.
    One question though, if I take it in and get a work order for it and they can't fix it or can't find anything wrong and it starts acting up again after the 36000 miles, is it still covered by the warranty or am I just out of luck? Thanks
  • Options
    You'll be SOL unless you can get them to attempt a fix on it before the warranty expires. Even then, it's going to be a fight if they don't actually replace something.
  • Options
    nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    Has anybody experienced a high pitch whistling noise coming through the front end of the car. Possibly through the air vents or windshield. This occurs when the air conditioner is on max air at a setting of 2 on up. And when you are driving between atleast 55 mph on up. Also this occurs when the temperature is hot 90 degrees on up.

Are you saying that you only notice this sound above 55 mph AND only when the AC is on max? you never hear it at lower road speeds?

Just want clarification before I start answering.
  • Options
    yes, that is correct. In addition of going 55 mph or more and the AC being on max it also has to be hot outside. When the weather is cold, or overcast it will not do it no matter if the AC is on max or if you are traveling more than 55 mph. Thanks
  • Options
    yes, that is correct. In addition of going 55 mph or more and the AC being on max it also has to be hot outside. When the weather is cold, or overcast it will not do it no matter if the AC is on max or if you are traveling more than 55 mph. Thanks

wow, that's wacky! Maybe it's the color socks you're wearing.
    :-)

Just kidding.
    The reason I was asking about speeds is because it almost sounds like it's caused by engine RPMs...which would lead me to believe that the AC compressor belt/pulleys are making the noise.

I don't know what your RPMs are at 55mph and up but maybe you could try sustaining the same RPMs at a lower speed (Put tranny in gear 2 or 3 instead of auto and try maintaining the same RPMs as when you are over 55 mph in auto)
    This would tell you if the belts are slipping on the compressor pulley at high rpms.

Another possibility:
    As far as the AC being on max even in cooler weather and not making the squeal, it could be that even though the AC compressor is on max, it's not really working because temps are already low enough. In other words, the fan is blowing but the compressors not drawing a load since there's no hot air to cool. If the compressors not drawing a load, then the compressor pulley won't slip on the belts.

hmmm....all these seem to point to the belts slipping.

....or maybe the socks :-)

Let me know if any of these help to pinpoint the problem.
  • Options
    ls8ls8 Member Posts: 16
    just purchased an Eddie Bauer Explorer. Has "SAT" button on stereo face. No one seems to know what I need to do to get Sirius working - just register with Sirius, needs internal kit or something, ?? anyone know?
  • Options
    jlondon1jlondon1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

On my 97 Explorer XLT automatic with over 200,000 miles I noticed when we let the truck decelerate we heard a horrible whir/whine from under the truck. As long as we kept the truck going and didn't go below 2000 RPMs we were fine. When we got off the highway we manually downshifted and it worked once, but then it seemed like every time the truck wanted to downshift out of a gear the noise reappeared. The engine RPMS would drop when this happened. The engine sounded fine, seemed like the transmission couldn't downshift. Worked fine upshifting, but seemed to be having issues down. Any ideas???
  • Options
    We just took the Explorer into the Ford dealership and after 7 hours they finally heard the noise. They pinpointed it to the belt/pulley that was causing the noise, like you suggested. So they ordered us the part and should be delivered in a couple of days. Hopefully that is the problem, especially since I have 100 miles left on my factory warranty! Thanks for all the info and suggestions we appreciate it.
  • Options
    We just took the Explorer into the Ford dealership and after 7 hours they finally heard the noise. They pinpointed it to the belt/pulley that was causing the noise, like you suggested. So they ordered us the part and should be delivered in a couple of days. Hopefully that is the problem, especially since I have 100 miles left on my factory warranty! Thanks for all the info and suggestions we appreciate it.

Woo Hoo!

Glad I could help.
    :-)
  • Options
    On my 97 Explorer XLT automatic with over 200,000 miles I noticed when we let the truck decelerate we heard a horrible whir/whine from under the truck. As long as we kept the truck going and didn't go below 2000 RPMs we were fine. When we got off the highway we manually downshifted and it worked once, but then it seemed like every time the truck wanted to downshift out of a gear the noise reappeared. The engine RPMS would drop when this happened. The engine sounded fine, seemed like the transmission couldn't downshift. Worked fine upshifting, but seemed to be having issues down. Any ideas???

Was there any "clunking" noise involved? Was the noise coming from approx. the middle of the vehicle? or the front or back end?
    It made this noise downshifting between ALL gears? or just a certain one?
  • Options
    rstchristorstchristo Member Posts: 2
    Can you let me know if this 2nd fix stops the
    whining? I bought a used 2003 Explorer Limited
    and it's doing the same thing. Problem is, it's out
    of warranty. I'd hate to spend the money on a fix
    that doesn't fix it and have the inconvenience of
    being without my car. I can't believe Ford hasn't
    done a recall on this, knowing it's a engineering
    problem. I like my car but hate the noise!
  • Options
    Could be anything from something in the valve body hanging up to a clutch or band failing. My best advice would be to have the fluid and filter replaced, see if the problem improves. If not you're probably looking at an overhaul at that mileage.
  • Options
    shadetreeshadetree Member Posts: 1
    On a 1300 mile trip, during the second day, the
    ABS warning light illuminated. Stayed on for the remainder of the day. The next day it was off for approximately 3 hours, and illuminated
    again and remained on for the remainder of that
    day. Since that time it has not illuminated, and
    the brakes appeared normal during the time the
    light was ON. 2002 Explorer ELT, 2x4, 27,000
    miles. No previous occurrance.
  • Options
    peggyloupeggylou Member Posts: 40
    trying to take off. Over the last 2 months our beast has developed quite a roar under load. It's ok at idle and sort of ok at highway speeds (hard to tell if its noisier since it always was loud on the highway). No pinging or slapping sounds, just a roar. Plugs and all fluids were changed about 8 months ago, just changed oil again, no change, changed air filter again, still no change.

Any ideas out there? It seems to run ok other than needing earplugs to drive it!

Thanks
    PeggyLou
  • Options
    Gee, not much to go on here. Sounds like perhaps the fan clutch is engaging more than usual, and really blowing some air through your condenser and radiator. This would be normal under load, or in hot/humid weather. It it only happens when hot, that's is likely what it is, and it's probably normal for this truck. You can have the fan clutch checked though, if you wish.
  • Options
    fredg1fredg1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 Explorer with 88k that is doing the same thing. As soon as you lift your foot off the accelerator, a noise like something that shouldn't be spinning is spinning. I regularly flush my transmission; the last time was at 80k. It sounds like the torque inverter is going bad. Is that a possibility? If I had to change it, I would probably overhaul the tranny while I was at it. It is intermittent and stops when I blip the throttle.
  • Options
    roger341roger341 Member Posts: 59
    I have an 02 Exp, V8, with 30,000 miles and recently have experienced a problem with abrupt upshifts.

I went to check the transmission fluid and realize there is no dipstick for that purpose.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but is there any way, other than taking it to the dealer, to know if the fluid is low?
  • Options
    Previous posts would reveal that there is no dipstick on that truck, and the transmission is "sealed for life". There is in fact, NO way to check the fluid level. However, if it's not leaking, it's probably not low. At 30,000 miles, that upshift problem is most likely software, and a re-flash will correct it very nicely. See your dealer - before your warranty is up! Quick! Hurry! Fast!!
  • Options
    The level can be checked by removing the fill plug in the transmission. It's a lot of trouble, really. Another Better Idea.
  • Options
    kubus_gtkubus_gt Member Posts: 31
    I had an oil change over the weekend and my mechanic (not a Ford dealer) said that Ford will have a recall on Explorer (02 and up) for the rear end. I'm not sure if it is for the axle seals (which is also a huge problem) or the whine.
    He was right when he told me back in March this year about the EGR recall, so I tend to believe him.
    I had the rear right axle seal replaced by him cause it leaked. No rear whine, but I do have front end whine which gets louder with the speed. I checked the front tires, but they feel smooth. I had front brakes replaced ($280 for all 4 pads, machined front and new rear rotors, with oil changed), and I think the whine comes from the brakes, as it started when they were replaced...
    come to think of it I had the tires rotated too, maybe that's what it is?
    Anyways, any one else heard of upcoming recall?
  • Options
    Can you clarify this? What year(s) does it cover?

Thanks
  • Options
    boazjames1boazjames1 Member Posts: 1
    My 1995 Explorer O/D light stays on. problem started to day when wife came home. I drove the truck. it will only change gears when i let off the gas as i drive. could trans be going.
  • Options
    I'm sorry it wasn't recall, Ford calls it customer Satisfaction Program. I can't find the letter, I think it's in the truck somewhere, but here is what NHTSA has about it:
    CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM 02M01 SUPPLEMENT #4. CERTAIN FORD 2000 THROUGH 2003 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A TUBE-MOUNTED EGR PRESSURE SENSOR - ADDITIONAL EGR PRESSURE SENSOR WARRANTY COVERAGE. *TT SUPPLEMENT #3. *MJ SUPPLEMENT #6. *TT

What happened on mine was the idiot light came on and the code read EGR valve problems. Took it to the dealer and got a new one for free. The program gives owners extra 24 month warranty on the sensor if there is a problem with it, they will replace it, and if you had it replaced already, they will refund the $$$.
  • Options
    No rear whine, but I do have front end whine which gets louder with the speed. I checked the front tires, but they feel smooth. I had front brakes replaced ($280 for all 4 pads, machined front and new rear rotors, with oil changed), and I think the whine comes from the brakes, as it started when they were replaced...
    come to think of it I had the tires rotated too, maybe that's what it is?

In order to turn front rotors, the front hubs need to be removed. This includes removing the wheel bearings.
    My guess is that the bearings were not put back on correctly...whether that be from them not being packed with grease correctly or them being tightened too much(I doubt too loose would cause a whine). This may be causing the whine from the front end.
    If this is the problem, you should have them checked again because the bearings will overheat and bake the bearing grease....causing premature failure. Also, I'm not sure how the latest Explorers do it, but the auto-locking hub mechanisms (remembering my 97 Explorer and 94 Ranger)will fail to operate correctly also. (the extremme heat from the bearings will cause the springs for the auto-locking feature to change their "spring constant" and keep them from operating correctly)
  • Options
    Nitromax,
    Thanks for the eye opener. Never even tought of that, not to mentioned that I didn't know. I'm taking it back tomorrow.
  • Options
    I took our 02 Exp to dealer to check the rough upshifting.

Couple hours later they called to inform me the warranty had just expired.

This is our 3rd Exp, not to mention 3 Taurus and 1 Mustang, so I called Ford hoping to get a waiver on an owner loyalty basis.

The person at Ford listened to my story, asked which dealer the car was at, and after maybe five minutes came back on to tell me that I would first have to authorize the dealer to "tear down" the transmission to see exactly what was wrong and only after that was done would a decision be made as to whether I would get coverage. And further, I would have to document that I kept the warranty valid by doing all of the required maintenance intervals.

I called the dealer and was told the cost of taking the transmission out of the vehicle would be between 8 and 9 hundred dollars.

I told them to just change the transmission fluid. The vehicle is just over 30,000 miles but was 3 days out of warranty.

I don't know yet whether the rough upshifting is still there, haven't driven it except home from dealer. In the event the problem still exists does anyone know the approx cost of having software reflashed?

Here's the thing....if I had brought the vehicle in a week earlier, I doubt whether I would have been asked to document the maintenance since dealer initially assumed vehicle was still covered and told me at the time any problems would be fixed under warranty.

I wasn't trying to fool anyone, I had totally forgotten the exact date of original purchase.

This is the first and last time I will make this mistake.
  • Options
    Left front wheel bearing is getting replaced, the right side is still OK. Now I'm thinking, brakes where changed about a month ago and I put close to 4000 miles on it since. Would bearing that was not seated correctly wore out quicker?
    They are charging me $270 for changing it, however I don't think I should be paying to whole amount if the bearing was not installed correctly after the brake change.
  • Options
    troybentroyben Member Posts: 42
    Have 02 Mountaineer, 33K miles, dealer wants $170 for transmission fluid change. Is this fair price, or should I hold out for coupon/discounts offered by Mercury? Or is it urgent that I get the fluid flushed now? Thanks
  • Options
    I would wait for coupon. Had this work done yesterday on 02 Exp with 30,000 miles and was charged $87. Your price is way too high.

Fyi, here is coupon offered by my dealer

http://www.koons.com/28kservicecoupon.html

However, be sure that by waiting you don't end up invalidating your warranty.
  • Options
    troybentroyben Member Posts: 42
    Thanks for the advice-think I will wait. Although only 33K miles on the vehicle, we're out of warranty since had the car greater than 3 yrs.
  • Options
    gtyatesgtyates Member Posts: 14
    I am having an issue with my A/C blower. When on the highest setting, I am getting a deep-throated roaring sound. Sound is there when using A/C, vent, heat, or defrost, so it is not an A/C only problem. Dealer has put 2 blower motors in, but has not totally resolved the issue. Any ideas? By the way, it is a 1997 Explorer.
  • Options
    chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    I thought these transmissions were "sealed for Life." That being said, we had this discussion a while back on this board and many of us thought since the fluid is synthetic, a 50,000 mile interval is OK. I saw the service coupon, my question for you is; that for this price did they refill that tranny with synthetic? Why don't you look at your service receipt and let us know.