Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln Navigator

Comments

• Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    sounds like you're stuck in 4hi to me.
  • Options
    chartist10chartist10 Member Posts: 5
    Do we have to fill the Nav with premium gas or can we use 87 or 89? What's the harm if one uses lower octane?
  • Options
    ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    Causes detonation which can harm your engine in the long run, I wouldn't recommend it unless your stuck in the boonies, and that's all available to you. And even there, you will be driving with less HP/TQ available.
  • Options
    gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Thanks ANT!
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    lower octane will hurt both power and fuel economy. With the lower mpg you'll end up paying more for gas by using regular (because you use more of it) than if you just bought premium in the first place.

It shouldn't hurt to run a tank occasionally (the computer retards timing to prevent detonation) but there's no reason to.
  • Options
    At the risk of being flamed, I'll say it again. If you are too cheap to buy your Navigator premium fuel, you should have bought the Expedition. Luxury and power come at a price.
  • Options
    ric1035ric1035 Member Posts: 32
    I think we'll be getting a vehicle replacement. I'll post later with the details once I get it in writing, I do not want to jinx it.
    Is the DVD- rear entertainment decent? Is aftermarket better? Is the Ultimate package worth the extra money? Any other options you guys think I should get. Looks all Luxury models in MI has as the heated and cooled seats included. Silver/Silver or Silver/Beige ?

Thanks ahead
  • Options
    chartist10chartist10 Member Posts: 5
    So far we have 2000 miles on our Nav and really love it. However, gas milege is averaging 10.5 miles per gallon. Ouch! The milege breakdown is 40% highway, 60% city. Be interested in other real world milege numbers.
  • Options
    shdshd Member Posts: 4
    I have owned a 1998 Navigator and a 2000 Navigator. I currently own a 2004 Nav which is a problem child.. The SUV has been in the shop 10 times for warranty work in 12 weeks. I am currently awaiting a decision by the DSB to see what will be done about the vehicle. I now have a vibration in the steering wheel when applying the brakes. Third time to be fixed.. Field engineer says that it is something in all 2004 Nav's. Anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    Ultimate or Luxury - Depends on how much you love the extra stuff. Personally, I was not willing to forego the power folding 3rd seat, which put me into the Ultimate. I did not want the power running boards. They creeped me out for some reason. Just to different I guess.

MILEAGE: I get a solid 13.0, all city driving on my 03 Nav.

VIBRATION: Never had that problem. I do have an 80 MPH vibration if this one particular tire is up front. ON the back, never notice it. I try to keep it on the back for that reason, however the obliging dealer seems to like to rotate the tires whether I like it or not. So right now, it's on the front. Makes me wonder if yours isn't the same. Hard to say from here.
  • Options
    11... 12 if I'm lucky... Yipeee! $50++ bucks to filler up! I knew that was the price of admission for this truck though so don't feel sorry for me.

Vibration... For me it comes and goes (weird I know)... had the tires balanced -- problem went away for a week and then returned. It is a 70mph +++ problem so it isn't a total headache. I'm turning in the truck this December so I'm living with it. If I get another navi you betcha I'm taking her on a looooooooooong test drive.
  • Options
    ric1035ric1035 Member Posts: 32
    i had that problem with MY00 navi and the dealer and the ford engineer decided since it was over the speed limit they cannot go any further in repairing it. they did try to replace the drive shaft, rotating tires, replacing the dampners but it did not help. they said it was within specs and it is a truck and it was normal.

vibration when braking - could be warped rotors
  • Options
    The new '05 LIMITED Expedition is starting to feel an awful lot like my Navigator... 301 HP, DVD navigation, wood steering wheel and console....etc.. etc..

Here's a link I stumbled on and posted on the EXPY board:

http://www.fordaxz.com/pdf/2005.EXPEDITION.OG.pdf

The only thing missing are the power liftgate and running boards.... what's the Navi getting next year to keep us interested? I heard ANT mention a 6-speed tranny a while back.. anything else?
  • Options
    cornellpinoycornellpinoy Member Posts: 196
    On the 2004 Navigator with the bench seat in the 2nd row, can you adjust the seatback angle of the middle seat?
  • Options
    No, gteach - the MAIN thing is still missing, the gorgeous waterfall (intimidating) front grille, and the knockout interior design...... But I concede the EX is coming up.

cornellpinoy - No, you can't.
  • Options
    The 05 Nav is also getting a 6 speed ZF automatic tranny (same one used in the Jag S-type and 745i). And don't forget the better suspension.
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    The Lincoln web site says the suspension is "height adjustable". To what extent can it be adjusted? Air suspension is an option on the Expedition, but I take it that it isn't the same as on the Navigator.
  • Options
    It's safe to state this now....

Bring in all your patio furniture in, there's a "hurricane" coming.

Remember "Cyclone" which was the in-house project name for the Duratec35 engine (3.5L V6) ?

There's a new project "Hurricane".... From the same Triton modular engine family 4.6L and 5.4L, comes a 6.2L V8 !!!

That'll blow the competition away once it starts being phased into products.
  • Options
    That's great news for those who seem to think that 300hp is insufficient for their needs. Hope there is gas to put in the sucker!!!

Wow, that sounds so HUGE, when actually, it's only about 380 cubes, isn't it? Hard to believe our sedans used to come with 390 CID engines standard, up to 500 CID in the Eldorados just 30 years ago, and they didn't put out as much HP either.
  • Options
    Motor trend just did a lux suv comparo... they put the trucks through real rough stuff according to them... Their order of finish:

#1 Range Rover
    #2 Lexus LX470
    #3 Navigator
    #4 Infiniti QX56

The Escalade was excluded because it lacked the features needed for the really rough stuff they put these trucks through.

Overall they were very comlimentary of the NAvi's power, interior looks, and hushed ride even through rough terrain.

They said the Infiniti was squeaking all over the place during the tests.
  • Options
    That means the Escalade came in dead last then. No magazine has ever liked the Navigator overall. Thats no surprise. For sheer rock climbing, I think they got it about right.
  • Options
    I'm often hesitant putting faith on the comparison car rags usually place. ALL depends on the spin, or point they wish to make, when they conduct certain tests. And there's numerous factors involved, plus there own notions, what they perceive, opinions, etc.

But this one seems to be about right, IF the point was to find out which of the lux SUV's worked well a rock climber. I have yet to read it, to understand where exactly they were going with this state, but as stated, this seems to be about right.

All very capable platforms in their right, provided with price. The Toyota Land Cruiser and Range Rover are internationally known for their durable abilities. Having the Navi next to them says quite a bit.

I'm not surprised about the Inifiniti QX56. The engine is the jewel, but their interiors feel as if they were lifted from a GM vehicle. Although it's a good overall effort in their part.
  • Options
    I hate all the new Nissan and Infiniti interiors. They just scream CHEAP. The Navi and Aviator have the best SUV interiors I've ever seen. I think Ford finally gets interiors based on the new F150 and new sedans like the 500. Hiring an ex-audi designer is turning out to be a pretty smart move.
  • Options
    for a lux SUV are:

#1 Space and interior versatility
    #2 Smooth, quiet ride
    #3 Refined, luxurious interior accommodations
    #4 Conservative yet "sporty" exterior looks.

I do not tow a boat, nor do I climb rocks. I guess that makes me a good candidate for a "luxury" minivan, but I haven't found one yet that I actually "want" to drive. The new Sienna comes close... but nah.

For the most part my 03 Navi fits the bill on all 4 of my priorities quite nicely.... still though, my truck has shown a few quality/design "glitches" that can be quite annoying.

For example:

1. The power liftgate can have a mind of its own.
    2. Some black "tape" has begun protruding from the interior panels around the shifter and stereo.
    3. Flapping exterior moldings have not been permenantly fixed.
    4. High speed steering jiggle continues to be a problem at times.
    5. Air suspension sometimes does not go "down" once parked -- making for quite a jump down or climb up afterwards.
    6. Drivers seat has become loose -- if it is all the way back in the track it makes a "click, clack" sound when I make a turn or accelerate (easy solution -- move the seat up about a half inch).
    7. For having such a LARGE windshield washer fluid reservoir my truck starts complaining about "Low Washer Fluid" WAAAAY too often for my tastes.
    8. Nasty brake dust accumulates on the chrome rims... YES, I wash the truck quite often but the rims get mucked up way too much IMO.
    9. The A/C has just begun to have a nasty musty odor on start-up.

You might think that with all of these little issues that I must hate my Navi... BUT NOT TRUE!!

Here are a few reasons why I LOVE this truck....

1. That power folding third row!!!
    2. Exterior looks SHARP! Not too aggressive, not too dull -- just right for me.
    3. Every seat in the truck has great head and legroom.
    4. Interior looks/feels like you're in a Lear jet.
    5. Dealership treats me like a king -- even if they don't fix things right the first time (perhaps I'd rather be treated like dirt but have my stuff fixed.. not sure on that one).
    6. There's nothing like being able to load in two car seats, my brother and sister-in-law, my wife, AND my parents to go on a trip!!!!!
    7. A price that is hard to beat for all the goodies you get. Still, though, I'd rather pay more to get more refinement. (If the Lexus LX had more room, more acceleration "umph", and a power-fold third row it would be bye-bye Lincoln for me!!)

Will I get another Navi when my lease expires in December?? The jury is still out on that one. Perhaps I'll go back to cars and leave the luxo barges to my sweetie.. perhaps I'll go for a smaller, "tighter" rig, perhaps I'll get a Segway Personal Mobility Device (er, standing scooter) and make up for my excessive gasoline consumption these last two years.... I just don't know.
  • Options
    They are both 03's.

1) POWER LIFTGATE - Mine does the same, but only at Wal-Mart. Finally decided it's a snob, and hates to be parked there. Almost never anywhere else - almost always there. Very embarrasing.
    2) No black tape.
    3) No flapping under 100 MPH. Did notice a little last Saturday, if you know what I mean.
    4) My steering jiggle has been isolated to one offending tire. Put it on the back, no jiggle.
    5) Air suspension - Occasionally mine hangs up too, but only when I've been off road, like it still thinks I'm not parking level or something. Never in the city.
    6) No problem with driver's seat.
    7) Washer Fluid Reservoir gives warning at about half full too.
    8) Brake dust - Ditto.
    9) No A/C odor from mine. Dry climate.

I agree with all of your reasons to love the truck. Will I get another one in 06? Possibly. Frankly, nobody else has a truck like it I'd consider better to replace. Certainly not GM, The QX has too many quirks so far. Nobody else is even close yet. But I too, may go back to a Sedan then, especially if gas prices remain so aggressive.

YMMV.
  • Options
    I'm hoping the '05 navigator will be a completely refined vehicle. They've had two years to work out the kinks and to reach as close to "perfection" on this edition of the Navi as they're gonna get.

IF Ford has its act together, the '05 Navigator has no excuses but to be the best -- by the '05 model run the '03 redesign is hitting its "sweet spot" in terms of refinement and build -- I HOPE!
  • Options
    There will be some pleasant surprises in the horizon, come next major re-touch (mainly powertrain). But that's some time away....
  • Options
    As I just stated on another thread, at the risk of boring anybody, may I mention that odds are looking good for gteach right now. I'm basing that on my experience with my wife's Mountaineer.

We had an early 02, I mean EARLY, like in the first 500 made, the first one to hit the dealership, she bought because she loved the new design. After 3 years of great service, lease was up, she replaced it with a Premier. Very little difference, still Black, got a V-8 this time with AWD. Otherwise, equipment is the same.

But the difference between the 02 and the 04 is amazing! The 04 is tons quieter, has no air leaks and just seems 10 times as solid. Now, the 02 never rattled or squeaked either, this one just feels like so much more quality. We are both astonished at how much they have refined a great design.

IF they do that to the Navigator as well, it should be a terrific vehicle. And I still think it's the design leader by far. Only the QX56 comes close in design, but not in appearance, luxury or quality yet. YMMV
  • Options
    heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    OK, I'll bite.

gteach says:
    'The power liftgate can have a mind of its own.'

and nv follows with:
    'POWER LIFTGATE - Mine does the same'

So, what *is* it thinking/doing?

General comments: I have an '04 Ultimate. Best darn vehicle I've ever had, ridden in or seen. The level of refinement is quite high. I've got no complaints, though I am taking it in for first sched maint next week and have a laundry list of questions and little things. Like:

- How come the lights don't flash when I lock/unlock with the FOB? All other cars I've had do this and it's a nice confirmation that the car is un/locked. (I know the puddle lamps come on, but that's little help in daylight.)
    - I want them to program the FOB so it unlocks everything with one press, not 2. I know they can do that. And I would like the car to unlock all doors when I stop and park. Hope they can do that. Wish there was more control over this type of stuff with the message center.
    - The Lincoln emblem on the steering wheel is about 5 or 10 degrees rotated from straight up/down when the wheel is centered. I know, they're gonna have fun with me on that, but I say - with a sticker of over $60K,I want the darn thing to be aligned (I love symmetry - probly why I like the Inst Panel of this vehicle so much.) ANd if that's all I have to complain about, they should be happy.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Sometimes it's not that they really did anything different or refined anything....the factory workers just got better at assembling everything!

We have an '02 Chevy Avalanche that's tight as a drum but will be trading it for an '04 Yukon XL soon and I wonder if we'll notice a difference like this too.
  • Options
    Mine gets in a snit, and won't close. It starts to close, then goes back up. You can try several times, most times, it eventually works it out and closes, but sometimes (rarely), you have to give up and just go back there and manually close the damn thing. Most times, it works just fine.

Every time I try to demonstrate this to the service department, it works fine, which is what it does 99% of the time. They would wear it out trying to get it to malfunction - so I just deal with it when it happens. As I said, at Wal-Mart for some reason.
  • Options
    e350v10e350v10 Member Posts: 92
    Navigators simply don't like to be seen at Wal-Mart. Range Rovers, ML500s, MDXs, RX330s, Cayennes, and X5s also seem to have problems in Wal-Mart parking lots.

Next time take the Mountaineer! :)
  • Options
    I go to close the liftgate and it stops halfway down..I hit the button again and it goes back up... I hit the button again and it starts down but when around 90% closed I hear a ZZZZ and the gate abruptly shuts closed but DOES NOT lock. I had to go back there and push on it to hear the locking sound.

It is rare... it works just fine MOST of the time. Nvbanker is right, this is one of those problems that can't be easily "duplicated" so it can't be fixed unless I invite a tech to keep the truck for a few weeks (NOT!).... for something that happens only "once in a while" its just not worth it to me to fix.

By the way.. the lights should blink when the horn sounds after activating the alarm.. and a misaligned emblem on the wheel would drive this "neat freak" TOTALLY BONKERS!!! I would've had that fixed before I signed for the truck!! :)
  • Options
    Yes, e350, I should take the Explorer, actually...

gteach- I agree on the misaligned emblem. I would have chosen another one, actually, if they couldn't fix that before I took delivery. That's right in my face, can't handle it, and the steering wheel is one of the things that attracted me to this truck in the first place. It's just beautiful
  • Options
    mtnbikermtnbiker Member Posts: 3
    I've got a 99 Nav 32v 5.4L with 75K miles that is still in great condition. I was thinking that this might be the right time to do the upgrade with the available rebates and the dealer discounts considering gas prices. The dealer has 53 on the lot, mostly Ultimates.

I just got back from the 04 Nav test drive and here are my impressions:

- The Ultimate trim level has the HID lights and most of the other options I am interested in.

- I was turned off by the power lift gate, the motor seems underpowered and the linkage too light duty. Based on some of the complaints on the message board, this seems to be a poorly designed system.

- The ride is much lower than the 99. I prefer the higher ride.

- The steering on the 04 is much tighter and precise. Big plus here!

- The braking on the 04 is better than the 99.

- The seats in the 99 are much nicer except for the air conditioning feature in the 04.

- Some of the plastics in the 04 seem junkier than in the 99. Especially the front and second row center consoles.

- The 04 is much better looking in the interior. Although the speedo & tach gauges are harder to read in the 04.

- The 04 is much more practical for carrying large objects since the seats fold down. Another huge plus for the 04!

- My 99 also seems to not have lost a step in the power dept. The engine still sounds & performs identical in both models. I use synthetic oil, maybe that helps.

In the end, I decided that if I could get the 04 at invoice, minus the rebates, and fair trade-in for my 99 that I would go for it.

I would also have preferred to build up a Luxury with the options rather than going with an Ultimate so that I could avoid the power lift gate, but that does not seem to be how they do it and it is too late to order for this year.

Anyway, we were about $4000 apart and I decided that I was not loving it enough to haggle any further. We'll see how the gas prices go this summer and maybe they'll give me a call. I don't see the Navigators being a big seller in the next few months.

Oh well, maybe in 05...
  • Options
    Edmunds TMV and Carsdirect.com

In carsdirect, type in your zip, plug in the options you want and you'll get an instant quote. You can use this number to negotiate and if the dealer won't budge, you can purchase it through the service. I've personally never actually used it but it SEEMS like great way to buy a car without the hassle. I have successfully used their quotes in the past as a bargaining chip.

It seems like NOW is the best time to get the best price on a Navi. Your dealer has 53 (!!!) on the lot and they don't want to play? Something's wrong with that store.

A plus for the '05 is that it seems to be getting a few improvements here and there to make it a little bit juicier. Still though, I can't see prices getting ANY better than right now.

Also, with the liftgate... please don't let a few bad notches on this board scare you away from it. It really is a neat feature and I am CERTAIN that most of them perform flawlessly, otherwise we'd see a LOT more written on this issue. My Navi's liftgate just gets a little temperamental at times (perhaps she gets tee'd off with me??)

Good Luck!!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
  • Options
    mtnbikermtnbiker Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. I did use the TMV which showed $900 over invoice.

I guess I should further qualify my intentions for what I was looking for when I went to check out the 04 Navigator. I wanted to see just how low the dealer would go and just how much of an improvement the 04 is over the 5 year old 99.

Originally, I had intended to get another 4 years out of my 99 for when my son starts driving. To date, my 99 has been trouble free. After the test drive, I didn't feel that the 04 was a big enough leap forward to take on the expense. The dealer was not ready to "give it away" considering the current economic climate, otherwise I would have taken the opportunity to upgrade.

I'll check back with them over the summer to see if they are more motivated. Until then, I am happy with my 99 and no payments.

Thanks!
  • Options
    chepejrchepejr Member Posts: 1
    03 navi- feature stopped working after setting memory seats, is there a reset procedure?TKS
  • Options
    my easy entry feature also works whenever it feels like it...I think it has to do with the fact that my seat is too far back... if the seat scooted any further back to allow for an easier entry/exit, I'd be in the 2nd row!!!

Try programming your seat a little further up in the track and see if the easy entry/exit features works then.
  • Options
    It's hard to pin down, but there are times that your sequence of putting the key in with the door open or repeating the in out of the key seem to neutralize the function. Mine always starts working again though, once I decide what the hell I'm doing.

Have you checked in the message center to see if the feature is still showing "on"?
  • Options
    I was riding along in my Navi today going around 40mph during a light rain shower. All of a sudden a stale green light turns yellow (man I hate that!!) and I decided to stop instead of taking the red.

I pushed firmly on the brakes but I began to feel like I did not have enough room to stop safely. I guess the advance trac or antilock brakes kicked in and the brakes started to thump back and forth... the steering wheel also shimmied. The truck kept on a straight line and I felt in control.

I was able to bring the rig to a safe, complete stop just a few feet past the white line. I think that had my truck not been equipped with these advanced safety features I probably would have spun out of control and crashed. Now, was it the anti lock brakes that kicked in or the advance trac??

In any case, nice going navi... and whew!
  • Options
    Actually in that situation, it was your ABS who did all the work. Even without it, if you would have just applied your brakes enough to lock them, you would have just skidded str8 ahead, and probably straight across the intersection, BUT in a straight manner.

IF at this time you would have jerked your steering wheel, then the forward momentum would have probably made the vehicle do a wobble skid instead, and to counter-act that, let go of the brake and the vehicle will come into control again.

Or if you practice threshold braking (for vehicles without ABS) you can bring the brakes to a point where they wouldn't have locked up, but enough to pump them and continue on your braking skid.

The shimmering you felt on the steering wheel is the front wheels slipping, then gripping, then slipping, then gripping, numerous times a second. (ABS). If Stability Control is kicking in (I myself feel it on the driver's seat-mentally) where one or more wheels will brake itself to keep you pointed to where your steering wheel is aimed.

And relating to SUV's, when in higher speed's (Such as highway) where full braking pressure must be applied, NEVER turn the wheel. Just slam the brakes, let ABS do the work and just brace to hit the object because if you jerk the wheel, your gonna flip. It's better to just hit the item and at least have the frontal structure absorb the impact (or kill whatever animal jumps in the way) then risking a flip where one hit on the roofing structure member's might leave you paralyzed.

But in your experience, that sort of braking issue is quite common and something we usually will utilize a few times a month when conditions are bad. I myself do that for fun whenever roads are slippery just to test out the system for giggles.
  • Options
    I'll bet you're a ton of Giggles, ANT - especially in a rental car....

But on topic - I have been driving Lincolns since 90. All of them have had ABS, some of them Advance Trac more recently. The ABS has saved me numerous times, where I was able to stop the car way way before I should have been able to. I could tell you a story about almost eating the trunk of a cab once, but you know what I mean. Just know how totally surprised I was when I didn't! Time and motion equations usually calculated mentally did not apply!!
  • Options
    Certainly I find ABS to be a great worthwhile invention that gets used quite a bit...Just as the Horn does, on my car....
  • Options
    This is the first time I've ever had to hit the brakes hard enough to activate any special car features EVER. I guess I'm a little on the boring side! :)

Still, it reminds me of how well equipped these trucks are to protect my family. ABS, antilock brakes, airbags EVERYWHERE.... I feel pretty safe putting my wife and two babies in my Navi.

Also, I usually take the red during these circumstances (little room to stop/stale green turning to red/etc.)... but "something" told me to stop on this particular day. Hmmmmmmm... Begin Twilight Zone music.
  • Options
    Well, sometimes it's the city you live in... I'm in Miami which we have the title of #1 rudest driver's. One of the cities with the highest car insurance, and about 30% uninsured driver's, so it's quite an adventure downhere.

Just last weekend on the highway as I return from my lovely road trip in Orlando where people are civlized and not a 3rd world country unlike Miami, using my mother's POS MB CL500 someone did something quite stupid.

They slammed their brakes hard when the rain started getting stronger... This in front of a 18 wheeler truck, which had to swerve onto another lane, which freaked 2 people out pushed them into my lane, I had to squeeze between the 18 wheeler and those cars, slam the gas cut in front of another, dash to emergency lane and cut through the grass media...Having all the bells and whistle's of stability control system beep at me telling me it's working. Then jump back into an empty lane.

Then their "OnStar" service (which I nickname GHOST) called saying their computer detected a possible impact with the vehicle (But without airbag detonation), and if everything was ok.... I tell her "Oh no, just a regular day in Miami driving, testing out the safety gadgets."

Which is why I tell people (who choose cars that have ABS as optional), if your going to pick options, make that a priority. Usually it's a $350-500 option, and that's your insurance deductible right there. One panic stop you avoid with ABS, is enough to pay for it in the long run.
  • Options
    shdshd Member Posts: 4
    My vibration occurs at any speed only when applying the brakes. Not in the tires. Already worked on the rotors twice. problem keeps coming back.
  • Options
    Could be incorrect or uneven lug nut torque. Retorque the lug nuts BY HAND to 100 ft/lbs in a criss cross fashion. For some reason Fords are very susceptible to uneven lug nut torque.
  • Options
    Interesting. Akirby has good advice, I'd try that. Clearly, it's brake related then. I will remark, that the steering is so sensitive and responsive to road feel, that ANY little inconsistency will be transmitted directly up to the driver - and that's nice for road feel, but a downside of it is that perfection is required in the tires, brakes and everything else to have a smooth wheel in motion.

These trucks may be interesting in 10 years, when the suspension is shot or the brakes are old. I'll bet they're a nightmare to keep comfortable.