Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon / Yukon Denali

Comments

• stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    Is this on the 01 or also the 02? Is GMC acknowledging this problem or just fixing it case by case - are they going to do anything to fix it for 03 or do they just give you another DXL transmission and hope for the best?
  • lawman12lawman12 Member Posts: 2
    HID questions. What are the specs that you have for your Denali? Did you need to get a D2S bulb or was there a 9005HID bulb kit that fits the Denali Projection headlamp. Also, I know that you do not have a recommendation for the place where you purchased your kit from but could you list the site that you got your kit from so at least I can see what type of kit to look for when I am searching for other places that may sell the HID kit. Thanks
  • mbclk430mbclk430 Member Posts: 58
    I too am interested in the HID kit. I am very dissatisfied with the current headlight's night time projection.
  • heatwave3heatwave3 Member Posts: 462
    mbclk430: have you installed the light relay that keeps the lo-beams on when the hi-beams are turned on? I installed this kit and have been very satisifed with the light projection since the relay was installed.
  • araftcoaraftco Member Posts: 23
    I got the kit at http://www.autotoys.com. There is a 9005HID bulb kit and the bulb replaces the OEM bulb perfectly with no adjustments to the housing.

I also have the headlight relay and when switched to bright, you can barely tell that the high beams are on with exception to up in the trees ahead of you. The projector in the housing handles the HID light perfectly with no adjusting necessary and on mine installation there are really no hot spots or dead spots in the HID beam pattern.

• lawman12lawman12 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. The site did not mention as to what type of bulbs and ballasts they were selling for the 9005 HID kit - I assume you got the 5100k or so HID kit. Were they Sylvania products bulbs/ballasts? Also do you have any photos? Thanks
    Yes, I do have the relay kit......are you suggesting that I drive with the high beams on? Projection with both low/higg beams on is significantly greater, however, my concern is for oncoming drivers.
  • denali856denali856 Member Posts: 118
    Thanks to motown3 et al. for the excellent explanation of the cold-start knocking issue.

As a follow-up: from the explanation it sounds as if the operating condition that causes the noise might result in accelerated wear on the valve seat and valve sealing surface (from the valve closing too fast and slamming into the valve seat). Is this something with which we should be concerned?

More generally, does anyone have much history on the 6.0L engine--strengths, weaknesses, etc.? Was the engine a new design for GM when it debuted on the Denali/Escalade (was that the '01 or '00 year?)?

New member, love the forum. Thanks in advance for any replies.

'02 Denali, 2.3k miles, had the knocking problem almost from day one....
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    debut in '99 in the '99 2500. Think that they changed the heads to aluminum in '01.
    mbclk430: no...I wasn't suggesting driving with the hi-beams routinely on. My impression was that most people were concerned with the coverage of the hi-beams which I found was remedied with the lo/hi beam relay.

Although I am interested in the HID and curious if GM will add these to future versions of Denali and Escalades given their projector type lens.

araftco: how much were the HID bulbs again and was there nothing else that needed to be upgrade other than a swap out of the bulbs?
    Hearing alot about crashtests. Informed by some that SUV's on box frame - or those that are not "car-based" - are less safe for the occupants because the truck does not absorb the crash and all the impact goes straight to the occupants. Want DXL but concerned about this. Now have car based RX300 and need to hold 3 kids in car (3 on bench does not work for me!) Like DXL for lux and size, big trunk for my stuff and so my 6 yr old will have space between his head and the rear window. Also think new Nav sounds great - even tho short trunk. However, considering Ody for safety - despite lower body,short nose and trunk. My kid likes to squirm and often sleeps in car (which means he's belted in the carseat, but lying on his side,with his head on the seat -I know its not safe but that is my reality. Other 2 in baby seats, strapped w/ 5 points. I'm asking this forum because lots of knowledgeable DXL'rs (you know who you are) and I think I'll get honest opinion despite bias twoards the SUV. I'm not going to tow anything. Once in bad wreck in small car so want safety, prefer AWD (I know Ody does not have this, but has size and safety crash tests are 5 stars, only trac control and 2wd, but awd Chrysler has too many safety issues, the latest being the GEN3 seat belts), I can afford anything I want and like looks and feel of huge car, but safety of my family is paramount. Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any info.
  • lobsenzalobsenza Member Posts: 619
    The DXL is definitely a safe vehicle. It has pros and cons like most vehicles. The big pro is the size and weight. Nothing substitutes for mass in a wreck. It also has 4 airbags and ABS. It lacks side curtain airbags, center position shoulder belts, seat belt pretensioners, and a stability control system. The Toyota Sequoia addresses many of these issues. I would not buy the Expidition or Navigator until the 2003 model. The redesign should add several safety features and improve ride comfort.

As far as crumple zone spacifics, I don't know the details. The DXL does perform well in crash tests. Most of these tests do not take into account the mass of the vehicle. When you take this into account, the DXL should be a very safe vehicle.
  • araftcoaraftco Member Posts: 23
    The kit was a little less than $500 and I had to buy a relay from Auto parts store and some 12 gauge wire.

I did this to wire the hot feed directly from the battery for the starter and ballast and used the hot feed from the OEM wiring to activate the relay.

Remember, you have a new bulb that requires a ballast and a starter just like on a fluorescent light in your house. The initial draw from the starter to get the bulbs burning is significant, but once burning the bulbs burn at the equivilant of about 30 watts.
    I have had my DXL for just about a year and a half now. I took it in last week for the engine noise and burning oil problem. A belt was replaced and new pcv valve installed. Since its return, my vehicle has been conking out when the steering wheel is turned hard to the right or left, like to get into a tight parking spot. This morning it cut off while I backed out of the drive way. I've taken it to the dealership for an explanation, but of course the vehicle must be tempermental (LOL) because the mechanics were unable to reproduce the cut off. Is there a TSB for this issue? Has anyone else had this problem?
  • motown3motown3 Member Posts: 5
    Generally speaking, the idle speed valve seating velocities that correspond with cold start noise are low; therefore, durability issues (i.e. valve seat / valve wear) should not be a concern. A normal durability guideline is to keep valve train velocities below 1 meter / second for all engine speeds. Typical seating velocities for cold start noise are between 0.1 and 0.5 m/s. One may ask "why is your guideline 1 meter / second when you get noise at much lower velocities?" This is a durability guideline...and keep in mind that the combustion noise, etc. is at a minimum at idle. Therefore, when you're driving down the road at high speeds, valve noise is exceeded by combustion noise, accessory drive noise, etc. The customer doesn't perceive a problem.

I don't want to give the impression that start-up noise is OK. This, by no means, gets GM off the hook!! They've got an annoying noise problem which causes the customer to bring the vehicle in for service. They blew it. Reducing cold start noise (or eliminating this noise at temps. above 32 deg. F) to reasonable levels isn't rocket science.
    Thanks again for your reply. Makes sense.
  • iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Hello Everyone,

For those of you who don't know me (probably everyone), I am an avid poster to the 2002 Envoy, Trailblazer, Bravada forum in addition to the 2002 Pontiac Grand AM forum as well. I own a 2002 GMC Envoy SLT and a 2002 Pontiac Grand AM GT1 in which I love these vehicles to death.

The reason for my post is that my father became a proud owner of a 2002 GMC Yukon Denali this past Thursday after being a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited owner for the past three years (plus my mom has a 2001 JGC Limited as well)! The Denali is awesome! HE chose the Dark Garnet Red with Stone Gray leather interior combination in which I am very impressed with the quality. He had been frantically searching for the past three months in order to find a vehicle that could be a suitable replacement for his Jeep once the lease expired at the end of this month. All in all, I think that he got a great deal: $48,819 MSRP before GM Employee Discount, the 5 yr/75K GMPP Extended Warranty and 3.9% financing for 60 months!

After carefully reviewing a handful of the post in this forum, It looks like the most problematic issue with the Denali deals with the tranny? In addition to the tranny problems, can anyone else tell me any majors that he should be aware of with the new truck? Also, luckily for my father, the Denali that he wanted hit the dealership this past Wednesday night so we were the first to remove the plastic and drive the vehicle (ha, ha). I checked the door jamb and this vehicle has a build date of 4/02 of course. All in all, he's soooo excited about this vehicle, it's kind of like looking at a kid with a new toy! He has always owned black vehicles and this is his first non-black vehicle since 1970!

I must admit, the paint quality is veryyy nice.. We use the Zaino Bros. professional line of car waxes and polishes on our vehicles and he waxed the hood 2x on Friday and the color became even more intense! On a funnier note, a fly attempted to land on his hood after the second coat and it literally break-danced it's way on to the ground due to the "slipperyness" of the hood after the wax job.. it was hilarious!

Well, thanks for listening everyone! Most important, I am eternally grateful that I was able to spend three months talking him out of buying a severely over priced Escalade! Any feedback, comments or concerns that you all could provide would be greatly appreciated. I am very interested in the HID modifications that some of you have mentioned on this forum, several of us on the triplet forum have been contemplating HID options, but the website listed in this forum has some pretty good info out there so I may have to take the plunge and upgrade my Envoy to the HID system. Are there any other modifications out there that are worth mentioning?? Additionally, I will stay plugged into this forum to hopefully become engaged in the discussions that you all have.

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
    iexplore2000: I think you'll find the excitement you shared in your post will still be there as the miles build up on the odometer. I have 19,000 miles on a 2001 Denali XL and really coudn't be happier with the quality and performance. And my benchmarks are a Toyota Avalon and a BMW 740iL which are my other vehicles.

The DXL is definitely a standout.

BTW the interior and exterior colors sound great together (of course, I'm abit biased since those are the exact colors of my own DXL:)

Best of luck to your father. Next its your turn to get one!
  • dandeldandel Member Posts: 7
    Crash-worthiness of a vehicle is dependent on many variables. There is nothing intrinsically safer about a monocoque frame vs. a ladder frame design. The DXL has a major advantage based on its size, weight, and height. The safety knock on large SUVs has actually been their potential for damage to the OTHER vehicle. This is unfortunate but if energy has to be dissipated, oh well. One other issue worth considering is passenger space intrusion in rear-impact collisions. This type of accident is extremely common. In minivans and most SUVs, the kids typically go in the farthest back seat and there is about 1-2 feet between the face of the rear bumper and the passengers. That bothers me big-time because I'm an Emergency doc and I see the rear-impact crashes every day and I remember the problems that early Caravans had with people falling out the back in crashes. The DXL has almost 4 feet of metal before the passengers get hit. And, it's tall enough that most passenger cars will submarine below the frame. Plus, I can put a lawn-mower in the back without having to mess with moving seats. Safety is also very important to me and that was a specific reason for us choosing the DXL.

We have 2 kids and a third on the way. We have the 2nd row captain's chairs. This was my wife's idea and I was pretty dubious but they turned out to be great for kids! The first advantage is they separate kids in the middle row and also the aisle between the seats makes the third row much more accessible and part of the car rather than that waaaay back there feel. My 6 month pregnant wife can still climb over the console and work her way to the back before my 6 year old completely spills his milk. The sunroof is great but it makes it hard to mount a roof mounted flat-screen TV.
  • newdenalinewdenali Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2002 Yukon Denali XL and had the wheels lock-up shortly after accelerating from a dead stop. It has happened only once but I only have 1500 miles on the vehicle. Has anyone else experienced this? thanx

Chris.
    Great info for my purposes. I'm constantly climbing over the console in my RX (never any problems with this '99 I bought new) and frankly I'm a little tired of it and now with a third soon, no room in this little SUV, so considering Ody with easy access, size, 5 star crash tests, I have only read that rear crashes are usually not as severe as any other, but NHTSA does not really go there. Your points address all my concerns. However, I do not want to get stranded with a tranny failure or have wheels lock, I am not pro driver and dont want an accident and do not want to get stuck anywhere regardless of vehicle price. BTW, I now have a 1 1/2 yr old - would be in capt chair with the new baby in the other and a giant squirmy 5 1/2 yr old who would be in the rear seat. Any problems you are having? Thanks again.
  • vader6vader6 Member Posts: 27
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the reliability of the Denali.

According to a survey done by Popular Mechanics (May issue 02) 72.9% of owners of the Yukon series, including the Denali, reported NO trouble, mechanical or otherwise.

Of the 27.1% who reported a problem it breaks down as such:

Loose trim..14.7%
    Noise/rattles..8.8%
    Leaks..8.8%
    Door adjustment..5.9%
    OnStar faulty..5.9%
    Sound system..5.9%
    Starting problems..5.9%
    Door Locks..5.9%
    Power windows..5.9%

Repairs done under warranty..100%

Editors comment: "The engines available in the Yukon feel so good they should be available by prescription only"
  • smittygmcsmittygmc Member Posts: 4
    Watch out. My XL started hesitating around 2500 miles and had a few lockups before the transmission seized at around 6800 miles. Good luck with yours.
  • dandeldandel Member Posts: 7
    I'm a pragmatist when it comes to safety comparisons. There are so many variables that contribute to injury in car accidents. I've heard great things about the Odyssey. My best guess is that the weight and height of big SUVs gives them a safety advantage but I think it's a close call and the differences may be trivial compared to stuff like fiddling with the radio or driving when too tired. I really don't like putting kids on the back bumper, protected only by a thin door. In an urban environment, rear impacts are among the most common kinds of hits. I see a lot of crash victims and I've seen people hurt and people ejected.

It sure is nice to have room for kids, friends, and all the gear that goes with travelling with kids. With kids in both back seats, it's nice to have space for a stroller, a wagon, pack'n'play, swing, diaper bags, foldup chairs, ice chest... you know what I'm talking about. The Denali kind of just floats down the road. We have around 6K on ours and have had no major trouble. It is big though and you don't just whip into parking places like your Lexus. It's tough to parallel park when the Saturn behind you disappears below the tail gate.
    Tough call. Good luck choosing!
    Thank you all for your thoughtful posts regarding my dilemma, they were very helpful, its to nice when responses are given to questions asked!
    Did GMC repair or replace your tranny? Did the service manager tell you yours was an isolated problem or has he seen this in other Denalis?
  • smittygmcsmittygmc Member Posts: 4
    The dealership replaced my transmission. After I pressed them, they admitted it was the fifth transmission they'd replaced this year, though they were very reluctant to state that. So I guess its not an isolated problem.
  • larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    where we can check for recalls or problems with our vehicles?

I have a 2001 Denali XL with 15000 miles and did have some tranny hesitation problems early on. Things have been fine for many miles and I am keeping my fingers crossed. I love the vehicle and hope GM will continue to improve it.
    larry
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide is one place to go for recalls and TSB summaries. Alldata.com and the NHTSA site (www.nhtsa.dot.gov/) are others.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Umm.. well if you would like to "think" that GMC stands behind their product by seeming eager to replace a $1.00 retainer bolt, then hop on over to the "My 2002 Chevy Trailblazer, Oldsmobile Bravada, GMC Envoy" forum. Much to your surprise, we are dealing with PLENTY of major issues that GM decides to shy away from or even pretend that we're all psycho. Therefore, I can easily understand why GM would stand behind their product in your case, heck I would too! Did they offer to mail you the retainer bolt? If not, then I would be p.o'd!

All in all, I've never owned a foreign car before BUT for those that do, I've heard many WONDERFUL things about having to not visit your service department except for routine maintenance! Personally, I own two 2002 GM vehicles love them both to death for their features, etc. but basically they are not too reliable at all. For a total of $60K + in vehicle investments, GM should eagerly take an interest to our problems at hand. My experience with GM cars (especially these two) leaves me NO other choice but to consider the imports next time around. Believe me.. if GM cannot fix my Envoy after the 5th try, then it's "bye bye birdie, Hellooo Acura MDX!." While I am quite sure that I would miss my feature packed Envoy, I know that with the Acura, I will be able to spend more time at work as opposed to the service department.

My .02 cents!

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Our PR director writes:
    Writing for a major national daily, a journalist needs to find business-types who drive a 2001 GMC Yukon Denali no later than Friday, May 10.

Please direct your response, including daytime phone number and occupation, to

jfallon@edmunds.com.

Thanks as always!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Tidester: can your PR director provide any insight on why the national daily author is seeking "business types" and why the occupation of the owner should matter on a article dealing with the Denali?

I don't mean to be paranoid, however I sense a setup on the "types" of people buying luxury suvs.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Maybe it's the WSJ asking?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I can't give you any additional insight but I know Jeannine wouldn't be setting anybody up.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • jrosoffjrosoff Member Posts: 10
    I am currently in the market for a Yukon Denali and I am a bit hesitant to pull the trigger.

Does anyone have any information on changes to the 03? Any timeline for the release of the 03?

Thanks in advance for any replies you are able to offer. I hope to be reading this board as an owner soon (rather than a wanna be)
    tidester: I'm sure Jeannine nor anyone at Edmunds would setup anyone "knowingly". However you have to admit the profession of the owner should really have nothing to do with the vehicle if the story was about the vehicle.

If on the other hand the story is really about the people that buy these types of vehicles...well that's just fine. I just think anyone sought for such an interview should know whether the article being proposed is about the vehicle they own or really about themselves and why they own it.

The outcomes could be vastly different.
    I understand it involves the WSJ and, naturally, anyone would certainly be advised of the intent before proceeding. You can turn off your paranoia switch now! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Got an email from your girl yesterday stating she wanted to discuss my experience with my Denali and though she has my phone number asked me to pay for the call. Real class act

5 13 3 9.
    I thought the same thing. I am doing her a favor spending time to give her info. The least she should do is call us or give us a toll free number.
    I just tried to reach her with a collect call - she refused to accept the charges! (JUST KIDDING!)

Seriously - I am checking into it.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • a6wagona6wagon Member Posts: 19
    I own a 2000 BMW X5, V8. I am interested in a 02 or 03 Yukon Denali. I love my X5, but with a dog and two kids, we need a third row of seats. Too bad BMW isn't offering the X7. I drove a 2000 Suburban. Very comfortable. The person who owns it has had very few problems. Any suggestions?
  • prlady1prlady1 Member Posts: 573
    Hi folks,
    I apologize on behalf of the journalist for the suggestion that those being interviewed should pay for the call. I bet she never even thought about it, and would hate to know folks were offended by her actions. If you are still willing to participate, which I hope you are, please drop her and/or me an e-mail with the best time to reach you via phone so she can achieve her goal and make you famous in the process!
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    jfallon@edmunds.com
    Thanks, Jeannine!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    We just bought a new Denali at the end of Feb, and it now has about 3500mi. Of course it's early, but so far no problems whatsoever.

We bought a Denali instead of a fully loaded Yukon SLT (which would have been almost the same, appointment-wise) because to me the Denali, with the bigger engine and AWD system, drove so much better than a 5.3 Yukon 4x4 I also test-drove when we were shopping. (The 5.3 engine is the largest available on Tahoes/Yukons, which also don't get the full-time AWD system available only on the Denali and the Cadillac Escalade.)

This is our first SUV, so I don't have much experience; but when we were shopping we looked at the Lincoln Navigator, Ford Expo EB, Toyota Sequoia Ltd, and Yukon/Denali; and in we (my wife and I) both felt that the best combination of luxury, performance, ride, and handling was the Denali, hands down. (We didn't even drive an Escalade because we just couldn't see paying almost $10k more than we paid for the Denali--you have to draw the line somewhere!)

To be fair, if you look at things like TSBs and recall reports, then there are some apparent issues with the Tahoes/Yukons that bear watching, so it might not be a bad idea to factor an extended warranty into your financial calculations. But other than that potential, I really can't think of one negative I can relate about the Denali, based on my experience and everything I learned in researching and preparing for the purchase.

And it is an absolute BLAST to drive.
  • gjo12gjo12 Member Posts: 3
    Well, here I am venting on a internet site about these stupid American made trucks. First some background. We just had to have a bigger vehicle than our Honda Odyssey van, so we joined the millions of big suv owners and bought an 02 dxl. Two months later I realize how stupid I was to think that U.S. manufactures really know how to build a reliable vehicle. First it was a shock absorber that leaked oil all over my garage floor. After two seperate trips to get repaired-God forbid the dealer stock a shock-thought that may be the worst of my new ownership experience was over. Well, as of today I would have to say that I way too optimistic. My wife goes to start the truck in our garage and it won't go. I try to start the truck and it won't catch. Bottom line-truck has to be towed out of our garage to dealer, who informs us that it has a defective fuel pump!! And guess what-they don't stock them, can't find one, and is going to have to keep truck for three days until the complete their nationwide search! What a bunch of b.s.. How can you buy a 50k car and two months later have the fuel pump and shock go out on it?? I have to laugh at people who think that these are the greatest trucks built. Anybody who thinks that these vehicles are reliable are kidding themselves. I shudder to imagine what would have happened if the fuel pump decided to quit while my wife was hauling our kids on a trip out of town. My advice to those who are considering buying one of these-keep your local Toyota dealer on your speed dial for Sequioa or hold off until they come out with a extended version. Oh, and if you do venture on to GMC lot please ask if they have a fuel pump in stock, I really need it.
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. I don't think they are typical problems. You should have gotten a loaner vehicle for the fuel pump repair.
    gjo12: I also am sorry to hear about your difficulties. Neither of the two issues you have experienced have been reported by anyone else on this forum (fuel pump & bad shock).

While I would certainly be unhappy if they occurred on my vehicle it would appear you are ready to throw the baby out with the bath water.

I've had an'01 DXL with no trips to the dealer that weren't for an oil change in 19,000miles. Very few finish or mechanical issues that I've experienced.

While I understand your views I'm not sure running to Toyota or any brand is going to guarantee a flawless vehicle because they can't be handpicked in advance. Spend some time on the Sequoia forum and you'll find your fair share of very disgruntled owners with both serious and minor complaints. And there are 10 GM full size suvs for every Sequoia sold.

I'd give the dealer a piece of my mind and expect some rather hasty attention to getting the vehicle straightened out. Best of luck!
    It seems to me that the Ody has a roomier interior with more room in that 3rd row seat too except for the smaller trunk space. So, did you just need more trunk room for your kids stuff?
  • gjo12gjo12 Member Posts: 3
    We take a lot of long trips to go skiing, summer vacations etc and found the Ody to be too cramped. The extra trunks space in the DXL was a major plus, as well as the AWD system for bad weather. Hopefully that won't be next!!I found the DXL to be a little wider and about the same space on interior leg room, plus the Ody had electric doors that never worked right-maybe we are cursed!
  • larry91larry91 Member Posts: 189
    I can certainly understand how u feel, spending that kind of money on a vehicle and it has problems right out of the box. I have an 01 DXL with 16,000 miles on it. The first few months of ownership I had some minor tho annoying fit and finish problems and a few bad Bose radios. I have not had a problem since then. and just love the truck. Is it perfect, absolutely not,but nothing is. If u have some spare time, take a run over to the Sequioa forum. they have plenty of problems as well..
    I guess it's just the luck of the draw. I hope after your problems are solved,they disappear and u can start enjoying the vehicle.
    Larry