Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• Options
    jp614jp614 Member Posts: 34
    On my CX, the speed has to drop about 2MPH before the tranny shifts. So, I generally do not have to feather the pedal.
  • Options
    kathy912kathy912 Member Posts: 8
    I am looking at buying one of the vehicles. I really love the look but I am concerned over some unfavorable things I have heard, not to mention the average safety rating it gets. My concerns are engine power, blind spot because of the side panel and resale. I really do like the looks and the ride. Also, are people paying invoice or under. I have a deal at invoice, but I am thinking in June I should be able to get this car for less. Thanks
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I responded to your post in the Owners forum.

Much like the MDX and RX300, the Rendezvous is a car of humble origin that truly is greater than the sum of it's parts. It is roomy, luxurious, well built, and safe. Based on it's popularity and sales success, I expect it will probably have at least average resale value, although if you plan on keeping it for more than a few years, resale value becomes moot. Buick also consistently meets or beats Toyota and Honda in JD Power surveys for initial quality and long-term durability.

The $2000 cash incentive ends July 1st. With it, you should be able to get your CX for about $24,500 + tax and license.

Let us know how you make out!
  • Options
    murfdogmurfdog Member Posts: 61
    here in austin they advertise the CX for 22490. That is the base model without rebate and no upgrades. The base is loaded enough for us. I was able to get it for 21145. I got the lower price because my company gets a gm supplier discount. We did not try to negotiate off the 22490.We told him about the discount and he said great, looked it up and quoted us for the particular car we looked at. I do not know if we were lucky or what, but I have never met a car salesman in all my years as nice and professional as the Buick salesman. Even the extended warranty push had the least pressure I have seen. He also gave my two year old her own RDV, a black toy version of very good quality. Class act, we are going to get him a gift. The secretary lady was also very nice and brought my kid a balloon after my kid thanked her for the popcorn.

The power is fine for us. We do not drive fast and like the gas savings. The ride is very smooth and the power is fine. It depends on how you like to drive. We could not stand the chevy trailblazer and other SUVs because the ride was so stiff like a truck. The RDV rides like a luxury car or like a toyota/honda sedan which is something very rare for a SUV like vehicle.

I did not see any blind spots of concerned considering the blind spots we encountered when we test drove minivans. The best thing is to test drive. My wife did not like it until she test drove it. Then she liked it alot.
  • Options
    jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    One other factor to think about for MPG. It is my understanding that the Auto climate control has the ability to turn on and off the air conditioning compressor whenever it deems it necessary (unless you turn off Auto). I would certainly guess that the vehicle would get less MPG with the AC in use -- so you may want to turn off "Auto" if you want to maximize MPG.

Flip side: I've read that if a vehicle is driving at 55mph, it's a wash whether you use AC or open the windows (due to increased air resistance). But under 55mph, the AC sucks more gas than opening the windows.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    A/C is definitely a better option on the highway but in the city, I try hard not to use it. It really drinks gas, especially when sitting in endless traffic.
  • Options
    stanvstanv Member Posts: 10
    Hi everyone and welcome murfdog (and all other new owners), I'm an IBM'er too and used the GM supplier discount as well.
    I haven't posted in a while but I have been lurking about and have enjoyed everyone's comments and advise. Here is an update on my experiences with my CX, 1SC.
    I got my RDV in September and have been loving it. I just passed 18K miles tonight and it has been a very good vehicle. I've had some minor annoyances but all but one has gone away. I thought I had an issue with the transmission when cruising, but I only get the sensation of a hiccup when the A/C is on so I think the compressor switching on is the source. The sensation was not there in the winter but I feel it again now that I am using the A/C.
    After 18K miles it still feels as good as the day I bought it. I keep reading all the junk about power and soft ride and I always think of those comments when I am slowing down for a BMW or Lexus. The handling is definitely not sports car but it is very predictable and refined. When I was having the transmission checked out Buick paid for a rental and the rental car company gave me a Jeep Liberty. The Liberty had very little body roll compared to the RDV and the suspension felt like a sports car. However, I felt like I could map every little bump in the road with the Liberty and trying to adjust the 3-band equalizer on anything but new blacktop was difficult. I was very happy to get my RDV back. I don't think there is a better value out there right now.
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Thanks for the tip Brian. I bought some Klasse All-in-one polish. It really works great, and your right it can't be any easier. In fact I think I am going to give another coat tomorrow.

Ken
  • Options
    garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    Has anyone upgrade the wheels to 17" or even to a nices set of 16" tire/wheel combo. Please share what and where from. What about some pictures.

Grazie...
  • Options
    bouchardbuff1bouchardbuff1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a Buick Rendezvous. My wife and I have test driven both models and have discussed the pro's and con's of each. The loaded CX is very impressive for about $1500 - $2K less than a comparably loaded CXL minus the AWD. The CXL has the AWD "Versatrak" and some better color options but in reading some of the issues that people on the owners board have had with the Rendezvous, there seems to be more issues with the CXL. Maybe just my perception and not reality. That's why I ask the question. I do not really need the AWD as I live in a warm weather climate. We do have occasional ice and very low amounts of snow in the winter and the AWD would help in the rain but I think the FWD will be all I need in the southern weather. Also, what is the reality in terms of MPG difference between the two? Any thoughts and observations will be very helpful.

Thanks,

S
  • Options
    tomcat10tomcat10 Member Posts: 4
    We ended up with the fully loaded CX. I also decided against the Versatrak as unneeded in the South and less potential problems. Only have 1300 miles so far and very pleased. Mileage is running about 16.5 around town but a 2000 mile trip starts tomorrow. Good luck with your decision.
  • Options
    I'm glad it met your expectations!
  • Options
    pcs15394pcs15394 Member Posts: 27
    I read in an earlier post that you were thinking of changing the grille on your black RDV. Were you going to have it painted black, or go with the "Chrome" color of the trim piece just above the grille. I have been thinking of doing this myself, but am unsure how to go about it. I would like to change mine to "Chrome" (I also have a black RDV). Also - has anyone out there tried a high performance air filter to boost Horsepower/Fuel efficiency (such as K&N)....Thanks for your help......Sean
  • Options
    lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    I would get a grille that has smaller slats on it, similar to the one from the park avenue. I don't know if I would keep the Buick logo on it, but I think I would... hopefully it'd be in color though. I'd even go with a wire mesh grille... those look real nice - the Jaguar XJR (one of my favorite cars) has the type of wire mesh I'm talking about and it's a beautiful car.

I think I've heard of the air filter being a real beast to get as... I wanted to get the K&N FIPK for the Grand Am GT but I don't know if all the plubming and stuff would match up to the RDV... I'll have it out some other time.

~Lance
  • Options
    You said that "The loaded CX is very impressive for about $1500 - $2K less than a comparably loaded CXL minus the AWD." Is that the only difference?

Per the Buick website, the CXL (vs. the CX) comes standard with dual zone electronic auto climate control, AM/FM stereo cassette w/ 8 speakers, electrochromic rear view mirror, one year of OnStar service, driver & passenger 6 way power adjustable seats, leather seats, heated body-color sideview mirrors, roof rack and aluminum wheels. If you add on all of those options (some you can't), I would think that would definitely be worth $1k or $2k -- especially financed over a number of years. However, it really comes down to whether those things are important to you. We went with the CXL and added moonroof, 3rd row seat and upgraded stereo (WOW! Great stereo!).

Another thing to consider is that some of those things will actually improve your vehicle resale value (e.g., aluminum wheels, roof rack, VersaTrak). Finally, your AWD will also operate in rain and slick road conditions (not just snow), so you may want to factor that in as well. I figure "the safer, the better".

As for additional problems with the VersaTrak ... I guess that's what I'm going to use my 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty plus the Roadside Assistance Program for (hopefully, we won't have to use this -- but it's there if we need it). Let us know what you decide :)
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    A friend of a friend just bought a Rendezvous this past weekend and we all went for a ride. Power concerned people clearly need not be worried as we had 5 people in the truck and it ran just fine, even up hill.

;-)

Saw a Honda Pilot for the first time this weekend. Very bland looking. Basically seems like a Highlander with a Honda face on it. I'm sure they will sell out though as people love that Honda name on their vehicle.
  • Options
    buzzbo99buzzbo99 Member Posts: 111
    Of course the Rendezvous V6 does not have substantial low end torque like my previous cars and trucks. I have found the vehichle to compensate by downshifting. I have not encountered a situation it has not been able to handle. Anyone else?
  • Options
    fuzz6fuzz6 Member Posts: 11
    Would like to post pictures of mods to my RDV how do I do it. interior and exterior mods to show!
  • Options
    harveydadharveydad Member Posts: 3
    We just picked up our Rendezvous on Saturday and we really like it. Thanks to all you forum members out there: your comments were very helpful. We felt you all gave us honest opinions about all aspects of owning a RDV. There is one thing (so far) that I can't figure out, and I know someone out there has had the same question. Our CX has the CONTENT THEFT DETERRENT (reference page 2-23, 2-24 and 2-25 of the Owners Manual) and when the vehicle is just sitting in the driveway, the red light on top of the dash keeps blinking. The Manual says it can be disarmed by clicking UNLOCK on the key fob or by unlocking the door with the key. We have tried both. The light goes out, but then comes back on in about one or two minutes. Is there a solution? Thanks.
  • Options
    gmdronegmdrone Member Posts: 78
    Most assuredly you can disable the content theft alarm, however I don't know why you would want to! What the manual refers to on the pages you reference is how to disable it to get into an out of the car. It is defaulted from the factory to automatically re-arm the alarm everytime you lock the doors. If you look a little closer in the manual, in a section called personalization, (usually, but not always referenced to the programming of the remote keyless entry), you will find a host of features that can be programmed differently than "as delivered". The vehicle is shipped from Ramos with a number of those features programmed as factory defaults. The manual explains in some detail as to how to change each one of these features. Some of them have some rather strange steps to them, (like turning on the dome lamp 4x and removing fuses from the fusebox), but they do change what you want to change. I personally would want that blinking red led, it would hopefully send a criminal to another vehicle that didn't have one flashing, but hey, to each his/her own.

Best of Luck,

Mark
  • Options
    sam1966sam1966 Member Posts: 10
    I would like to know what grade gasoline all you high mileage performers are using - expecially JP614. I've been averaging 18.6 city/21 highway and feel this is too low for the way that I drive. What's the trick?
  • Options
    tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    While shopping for an SUV we compared Tribute to MDX to RDV.

Price after negotiations came to 25009, 39800, 28600 before tax for V6, leather, sunroof, 3-rows of seats (Tribute has 2-rows), 6-CD, 4x4, and roof rack.

I liked the Tribute's price and 'zoom'; Wife didn't like Tribute's interior.
    We both liked MDX, but it was not in stock and priced at MSRP.
    Wife liked the RDV inside and out - she drives it; I liked the 'toys' (rear sonar, HUD, GPS, AWD). Below are brief comments on value, quality, features, and handling.

Our reasons for choosing RDV over MDX:
    1) $3700 depreciation rather than $5200 in the first year, assuming typical depreciation of 12% in the first year. *Aside - the best depreciation we've seen was on a '91 Tercel that we had for 8 years and it only cost $680/yr and had no repairs other than a blown engine at 100K miles.
    2) Tribute in made in the US, MDX in Canada, and RDV in Mexico. All three had apparently had recalls on early production cars. Since none of the three cars is built in Japan, I estimate the build quality to be the same.
    3) Buick has apparently done a better marketing study and put more innovative features into this car. RDV has a heads up display, Onstar, real leather on all three rows (MDX- on front two).
    I asked the Acura dealership manager about Onstar but he didn't know if the 2003 MDX would have one. Even without the $300 Onstar Directions service Onstar will tell us where we are (but not how to get to where we need to be).
    4) RDV has a bigger rear door (Tribute:44 inches wide x 33" high; MDX:44"x34"; RDV:48"x34") and a seat set high above ground (30", 32", and 32" for these SUVs)
    5) Suspension - RDV rides softer over potholes and speed bumps than Tribute or MDX.
    6) Handling - in a drag race MDX and Tribute win, but in traffic I can zig in a 2-ton RDV as well as in my Corolla.
    7) It just looks nicer, especially in black. Tribute look is aged. MDX look is plain. The only thing is that wheels look kind of smallish for the tall RDV. I hear that there may be little space left in the front wheel wells to put on bigger tires, so these ones will do with chrome. When they wear out I will try the +1 size tires. If anyone did put bigger tires on their RDV - please share the experience.
  • Options
    tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    My Rendezvous link farm (some were referenced in earlier posts)

-----------------------

Buick Rendezvous AWD uses traction licensed from McLaren (Indy 500 builder) http://www.mclarenperformance.com/services/traction.html

Buick Rendezvous holds the #1 spot as EPA environmentally-friendly SUV http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/suv-02.htm#med

Buick Rendezvous named Truck of the Year by The Detroit News http://detnews.com/2001/autosconsumer/0112/26/eOl-375388.htm

Buick Rendezvous the first 4x4 to finish at the off-road Inca Trail race

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/011207-4.htm http://www.paperdarthase.co.uk/hero/index.cfm/eventID/Inca2OOl/fuseaction/crewbio/EntryID/78/

All cars

Don't wear jeans in heated leather seats - you may get an iron-on effect http://service.gm.com/techlink/html-en/pdf/200110-en.pdf#dstO7

• Options
    kathy912kathy912 Member Posts: 8
    After many hours of consideration and surfing, I decided on the RDV CX with the versatility package. I paid 25,490 and they are throwing in the crossrails for the roof rack. The dealer said the invoice was 25,990. My estimation was 25,700. Either way, I am paying under invoice and less then TMV which I am happy with. The vehicle has 1000 miles on it.
  • Options
    ang35ang35 Member Posts: 14
    I'll be looking for a new vehicle for the family soon and the RDV is a candidate (a good one actually). But I have a few questions for the future of it:

1. Will they increase the HP/engine? 0-60 in 11 seconds seems awfully slow.
    2. Will they be offering DVD entertainment? 2 kids now and I like the idea of integrated entertainment system (not a requirement but would be nice). Or do they already have this?
    3. Is the 3rd seat a split seat so you can fold down half for cargo?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    Here are my answers to your questions:

1) No one here seems to know definitively if they'll up the HP, but I don't think you'd ever find its acceleration too slow. Take a test drive. I merge onto the highway every morning on the way to work and have never had any trouble getting up to 55/60 mph.

2. Haven't hear anything about an integrated DVD system, and I do wish it had been an option. A couple of us have talked about (and someone even did it) using a laptop computer with a DVD player and all its other functions as an onboard entertainment center. There are also lots of aftermarket entertainment systems that can be purchased and either installed or can be removed when not in use (which might be good if it allowed you to watch movies in a hotel room, etc.).

3. The third seat is a single seat that folds down. No split.
  • Options
    When we were shopping for our Rendezvous, we saw a couple of Rendezvous with after-market DVD players/LCD screens mounted on the headliner. They looked pretty nice -- almost as if they were factory installs. I asked and found out they were aftermarket. If you want it (and you're willing to pay for it), you can get one installed. But no factory DVD/LCD ... yet
  • Options
    Thanks for the links. I was surprised to learn of the origin of Versatrak.
  • Options
    ang35ang35 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the responses. I remember a few years ago test driving a 1999 Nissan Pathfinder and I found it too slow. Since it had similar numbers as the RDV, I was concerned about performance on the RDV. You are right though, I'll need to test drive one to find out. Apparently most people here are satisfied with it.

Wish the 3rd seat was split. Any possibility of that changing in future models?
  • Options
    netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    There's always a possibility. :-)
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    What are the reasons for using the recirculate air button on the HVAC control? I didn't have this option on my last car. Does it have any use or are there cautions against using it? Any info would be appreciated.
  • Options
    dragontamerdragontamer Member Posts: 16
    The reason is to keep outside air just that, outside. Its function is to keep pollutants from invading the passenger compartment. For example, if you get stuck behind a bus or a diesel rig that's pluming black clouds of smoke, simply push "recirculate." This will allow the air already in the car to recirculate so you won't choke on the fumes. When you turn the recirculate off, the unit draws air from outside.

The only time you shouldn't use recirculate is if you have to use your windshield defogger/defroster. The windshield will simply clear up quicker with the air from outside. Hope that helps : )
  • Options
    Actually, the rdv has an override that turns off the recirculation automatically if either defrost or defog is chosen. So you cannot use recirc in conjunction with defog functions.
  • Options
    You're right, I never noticed that.

I even tried to do it manually by cycling through the various vents. As soon as I selected the windshield vents, the system automatically switched to outside air.

Ah, the wonders of modern science.
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the quick replies. That feature should come in handy next time I pass this recycling plant on the highway. It always smells like skunk for a mile or two around there. I'm taking my RDV for a few days of camping this weekend. Usually it naturally smells of skunk heading up so there's another use.
  • Options
    This "feature" has been on every car I've ever owned -- even my '73 Ford Country Sedan station wagon had it. This is *not* a new feature (my dad's '97 LeSabre and my sister's '94 LeSabre also have it). This is old news ... ;)
  • Options
    Sure, it has been around for a long time, but some models have it others don't. My '85 olds didn't, my '92 pontiac didn't, my '97 gmc truck didn't, but my '95 honda does as well as my '02 rdv.

So this might be new news to some who never had this feature.

Just passed 6000 mi, and no complaints. I'm very pleased with the Rendezvous overall. Mileage has been averaging 17 mpg lately with mostly city driving.

--jk27--, those Rendezvous' you were looking at with the aftermarket overhead lcd dvd system, by chance did any have the sunroof option as well? I think it would be a difficult install on a model with a sunroof, since the retracting sunshade would seem to limit mounting options.
  • Options
    jp614jp614 Member Posts: 34
    Hey guys and gals,

I use 87 octane (Regular) from Sheetz or UDF(Mobil).

Nothing special except it is 100% gasoline and no ethanol.
  • Options
    "Sure, it has been around for a long time, but some models have it others don't. My '85 olds didn't, my '92 pontiac didn't, my '97 gmc truck didn't, but my '95 honda does as well as my '02 rdv.

So this might be new news to some who never had this feature."

My apologies, then. I have honestly never seen a vehicle without it. I've owned a Ford Country Sedan, Mazda GLC, Mercury Tracer, Nissan Altima, Isuzu Oasis, Isuzu Rodeo and Buick Rendezvous ... all had it and I assumed all cars had it. My bad.

As for the aftermarket DVD/LCD, I believe at least one of the vehicles did have a moonroof. Since the moonroof actually slides above the roofline (and not into the roofline), I can't imagine that mounting such a DVD/LCD would be too difficult.

As for gas, I live in an area where we get at least 10% ethanol and my mileage averages about 17mpg (city and highway combined).
  • Options
    Yes, the glass does slide above the roofline but I was referring to the sunshade that is in the interior of the roof. It gets sandwiched between the headliner and the sheetmetal of the roof. Therefore it seems to me that getting any kind of bracket, bolt, or screw to affix the lcd to the roof would be seemingly difficult on a sunroof equipped rdv.

I use 87 octane, mostly Costco.
  • Options
    All the cars I've own and my dad's old cars never had recirculate as an option. So to my view, it's something different. No offense taken, we're all here to learn something.
  • Options
    Dragontamer:

Now I understand your question. I'm not sure how/where they mounted it (you're right the headliner does slide backwards into the roof). If I am near that dealership anytime soon, I'll stop in and ask.
  • Options
    boondocksboondocks Member Posts: 57
    Hi all, it's been a few months since I've been here. Welcome to all the new owners! Glad you're getting such good pricing.

I thought I might have hit a new AWD model MPG record, but it seems someone (was it fedlawman?) beat me. Over Mem. Day weekend, I took a trip up north, almost exclusively highway with some little jaunts around town once I got up there, and my average upon returning home was 25.5. Plus, I not only had plenty room in the car for all of us and our luggage and the stroller and my son's little bike, I was still able to stop at a yard sale on the way up and pick up a basketball hoop and a set of folding chairs. I love having my cake and eating it, too. :-) By the way, I use 87/89 octane, and usually get 20 mpg with my combination of city and highway driving and a somewhat lead foot.

Someone mentioned their carseat leaving indentations in the leather seats. I had that problem on my previous leather-seated vehicle as well. The leather gets a bit stretched, and I'm not sure what can be done. They did kind of go back to normal in my Bravada after some non-carseat use (my BIL bought the Bravada from me and has no carseat-kids). The indentations don't worry me as much as the fear that it will eventually wear through. I put a thin folded towel under each carseat, which has the added benefit of protecting the front face of the bench from little kicking feet. Perfect use for those now otherwise useless hooded baby towels.

After 9 months and 14K miles, I'm still a happy camper.
  • Options
    Good to hear from you again!

You're right, I have seen better mileage, but not over an extended vacation. I have seen over 27 MPG, but only by filling up off the highway, immediately getting on the highway, and not exiting until I get home.

Once I get in town again, my mileage promptly drops back down to 17.

C'est la vie.
  • Options
    enniskillenenniskillen Member Posts: 87
    Hello Everyone

I don't know if posting your entire serial number here is a good idea, but I work for an Auto shipping company here in Canada, and am tracking the progress of my ordered 2002 Rendezvous.
    So far I know it was built on June 11th and was put on a train in Mexico that day. This week is the last for the build of the 2002's so I know that my serial number will be near the end of the production . Does anyone have a very early model ? I would be curious to see if we could figure out approximately how many were built comparing our numbers ?
    I will post my number tomorrow.

Jeff
  • Options
    delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    First time I have looked seriously at RDV.

Not at all interested in anything with that particular GM engine in it though.

However, I just noticed the rear leg room as being around 39". Not much on the market with that kind of space.

If they do upgrade the engine technology for 2003, I will take a hard look at them.

Anyone heard of any plans since they have stopped making the 2002, one would assume they know by now what they are going to do next.
  • Options
    enniskillenenniskillen Member Posts: 87
    Why?
  • Options
    bouchardbuff1bouchardbuff1 Member Posts: 3
    Posted this message a couple weeks ago. My wife and I decided on the CXL. Just bought it today and are very excited. We bought the CXL White with Versatility Package and Trailor tow package. We were going to buy next month but we decided not to wait any longer with the extra $250 ($2250 total)cash incentive Buick put out a couple weeks ago (at least where we live). Most at the dealership did not even know about it as it is short term incentive through July 1. Not sure if it is available to public or for GM suppliers. They seemed to be confused on that point. Anyhow, we look forward to many years of RDV enjoyment.

S
  • Options
    Congrats. I think you'll be glad you went for the CXL vs. the CX (I am, that's for sure). Enjoy your RDV!!
  • Options
    Has anybody found any mudguards or running boards for the RDV? I don't believe there are Buick RDV mudguards/running boards, so I'm assuming they would have to be aftermarket. Anybody? Thanks in advance.