Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• Options
    netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    I'm pretty sure there are Rendezvous running boards mentioned in the Accessories section of the owner's club.
  • Options
    delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    I think is is mostly the calendar.

I am sorta oriented to current technology.

Push rod engines have earned their right to retire as new vehicle equipment.

To support pigheaded corporate reluctance to recognize the necessity to offer current technology is to facilitate the practice.

If they want to market a new, well designed, multi purpose vehicle, they need to equip it accordingly.

So consider it a personal preference sort of thing, and let's leave it at that.
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I took my RDV camping for Fri. to Sun. out in Long Island of the NYC area. She was great to drive the 200 mile round trip. The campground was mainly slightly rough asphalt with some really steep hills here and there. I had no trouble getting up and down them with just a light foot on the the gas - very good low end torque. I had a total of two passengers with a fully loaded rear cargo but had the entire middle row empty if I needed more space.

I was the only RDV in the park which was full of Chevy Trailblazers with a scattering of Tahoes, CRVs, Outbacks, minivans and sedans. A couple of little kids got all excited and pointed out my RDV to their dads as I drove by them. Got some adults taking some good long looks as I was driving around the camp grounds. I had a chance to drive on some dirt on a fruit farm as well as some gravel roads and didn't hear or feel feels kicking up under her. I averaged about 19.5 MPG driving mostly highways at 65-70 MPH with some long steep stretches and with medium fan or low AC blowing most of the time.
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Check the Great Accessories section on my RDV web page. http://www.geocities.com/myersworld2001

~ken

• Options
    cfocfocfocfo Member Posts: 147
    Is the older engine technology the main reason why the RDV only gets 19.5 miles per gallon ? I know some consider that good, but with small children and many road trips to come AND the chance of $ 1.70 + gas prices surfacing, I would like 25 miles per gallon on the hwy.

What engine would you suggest them put into the RDV next year ?
  • Options
    enniskillenenniskillen Member Posts: 87
    Tried and True

I prefer that to the unknown. They are putting the 3400 in a lot of their vehicles and are doing well with it.
    These numbers are Canadian ( our gallon is bigger ) but the RDV is rated here at 32mpg highway and the Saturn Vue with V6 auto at 34 mpg.
    2 mpg isn't enough to get me to turn my head towards something that small. or with a new engine.
    "To support pigheaded corporate reluctance to recognize the necessity to offer
    current technology is to facilitate the practice."
    You be the guinea pig and after this new technology you speak of has logged several million miles reliably, let me, and the rest of the public know, and maybe we will have a look.
    So consider it a personal preference sort of thing, and let's leave it at that.

Jeff
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    The 3.0L in the VUE is not new. It's been around for a few years.
  • Options
    The RDV is rated at 26 MPG on highway if I recall correctly. I think that would make the RDV one of the more efficient SUVs in this class. It's rated highly "green" in a survey I saw on this board sometimes back.

The 19.5 MPG I got was based on what the DIC calculated and I didn't reset it before the trip. I would say at least half my mileage is in city driving which carried over in the DIC calculations I expect. If I have calculated for only the trip I would expected much higher numbers.
  • Options
    cfocfocfocfo Member Posts: 147
    One of the reasons this townhall is so valuable is, you get the REAL scoop, (ie MPG). I remember reading experiences of greater than 20 MPG on the RDV, but the "rated" figures for most all vehicles may not be the norm for us car owners.

I'm not putting down the RDV to other SUVs, I really like the RDV. My decision is RDV to all else, including a 4 door sedan, which can get 25 MPG. Obviously, I trade off cargo space and so on ......

I'll be glad when I am finished shopping, but enjoy your input.

Nextmoon, Fedman, and all you other posters - a big thank you !!
  • Options
    are serious obstacles to improving engine efficiency.

As a result of the complexity of the push rod valve actuation mechanism, they are limited to a single valve each for intake and exhuast.

A mild review of CURRENT automotive design indicates that all serious designers have moved to multivalve, OHC designs. They provide the ability to optimize intake and exhaust characteristics much more efficiently.

I just bought my second Olds Intrigue with what I consider the ideal engine for the Rendezvuos, and most of the other GM line, their 3.5 liter, 24v, OHC, v6. In the Intrigue, it provides 215 horsepower and regularly provides 20mpg in town and up to 30 on the hiway, if you can stay out of the 80-90 cruise speeds.

This is the V6 derivitive of the Cadillac Northstar V8, sometimes called the "Shortstar".

With the phaseout of Olds, this engine which was only installed in the Intrigue and the Aurora appears to be being phased out as well.

More GM brilliance. Make an awesome, modern engine, then kill it.
  • Options
    There are a number of OHC designs that will be coming in the next few years. The Ecotec 4 cyl is going in to most of the smaller vehicles now, the I6 in the GM SUVs came last year and there are other V6 engines coming.

3.8/3.4 pushrods are really reliable, efficient and cheap to make. Nothing wrong with them, but I know they will have to go soon.
  • Options
    lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    Contrary to popular belief (and hope) GM is infact not discontinuing their pushrod engines, but in their words "refining and modernizing" them. The 3800 series of engines will recieve, from what I've heard, an all aluminum block and head. The camshaft will also be aluminum now. There's also talk of the General adding a 3rd (hello Daimler-Benz lawsuit) or 4th valve to increase breathability of the motor. It will still remain OHV but lighter and more efficient. I don't know of any changes to the 3400 or 3100 series but I have a feeling the 3100 will be eliminated in favor the 3400. The 3.5 engine from the Olds line isn't being discontinued but put on build hiatius until they can find an application for it. I know we'd all like to see that engine in the RDV but I don't think we ever will. That would give the RDV a lot more space in competition with the Honda Pilot with it's high tech 240-hp engine, but don't hold your breath. Chances are the RDV will continue, more or less, as it is until it is phased out in favor of the Rainer which is slated to cost between 2,000 and 5,000 more than a CXL...

~Lance
  • Options
    Ok I appreciate the appeal of the extra 30 hp, but the gas mileage you quote is hardly an impressive measure of this "current technology ' . The gas mileage numbers would have to drop
    if that engine was to reside in the much heavier, larger, less windtunnel friendly RDV . The Intrigue is really a small car, and the gas mileage you get with that car and motor combo is moot.
    You are on your second intrigue ? or you have two. Did you burn out the first, were you finding the "current technology" a little exspensive to maintain.
    I keep my cars for about 10 years, almost everything is great when it's new, but longevity has more value to me. One of my cars has 15 year old windshield wipers, now that's quality !
    Long live the small block chev ! and it's descendants.

Jeff
  • Options
    dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    I seriously considered the Intrigue with the 3.5 but the rest of the car was not quite as sporty and the front-end and alternator problems were question marks. I agree the 3.5 is VERY sweet motor. But the problem is apparently it costs a lot to produce. Way too much for GM to be competitive on the lower end, apparently. I ended up getting a Maxima, and I actually would prefer the torque of the 3.5 and would trade the high end rush of the Maxima.

I also have GM van with the 3.4 and you neglect to recognize the positives with this type design. The motor package can be much smaller w/o the overhead cams and associated belts, etc. And as the LS-1 v8 shows, a pushrod motor can be very powerful and it has a wide powerband. The less parts in a pushrod motor make it cheaper to produce, easier to work on and maintain, less things to go wrong - more bulletproof.

The pushrod motors also seem to have more torque, but it must be the camshaft profile or the extra valves, as the type of valve actuation should not matter at all. More torque for some vehicles is more preferable than a Honda type motor with very low torque and lots of revs at the high end.

The GM I-6, the new one, is a great motor, and the rumor I heard was that they could cut it down to a I-5 and it would fit the vans/RDV. The I6 is apparently cheaper to machine, as all the cylinders are on the same plane and its less work.

I may eventually look for a used 2002 GLS intrigue and get the 3.5...its really nice.

Cheers,

DD
  • Options
    "You are on your second intrigue ? or you have two. Did you burn out the first, were you finding the "current technology" a little exspensive to maintain."

Nope. Maintenance was oil changes only. I leased a 98 for 3 years. After surveying the field I found nothing with the value, features, technology and performance of the Intrigue, so I bought a 2002 since leasing was out of the question. The same V6 in the much heavier Aurora provided performance nearly equal to the V8.

Now, I knew when I asked about changes for 2003 RDV and mentioned my conviction to not support what I consider a backward engine design, someone would champion this design and question my motives.

There are obviosly many who do not share my opinion on the push rods. Fine each to his own.

I am an engineer and prefer newer technology. I also resent many of the GM practices of cramming inferior designs down the throats of buyers. My only way to register a complaint is to vote with my feet.

Enjoy your vehicle. Don't worry what my hot buttons are. OK?
  • Options
    jk27jk27 Member Posts: 244
    We're not ... ;)
  • Options
    I too have an Intrigue (2000 GL) and the 3.5L is a real sweet motor. Very happy with the car. Too bad it's gone after this year.

Another advantage of the pushrods is the low cost of servicing them. Some of the OHC engines can be expensive and I know the Maxima drinks premium fuel which adds up over time also.
  • Options
    crj1crj1 Member Posts: 70
    The RDV is not going to be phased out in favor of the Rainer, they will be sold side by side to different people for different needs. The RDV has a 3rd row seat and the Rainer does not.
  • Options
    What's the point of the Maxima comment?

You know full well that the Intrigue, and the 3.5 sip regular grade.

I am GM specific in all my comments.
  • Options
    My point is simply that OHC engines can be more expensive run and maintain, nothing else. I love the Maxima, it's a great car.
  • Options
    I've read from many places and was informed by "GM insiders" that the RDV was scheduled to remain in production in the current form until MY2007. After that it will be redesigned on a new platform, which probably will be for the other GM minivans as well when they're done over.
  • Options
    Thanks. That is the answer I was looking for.

Will now tune out of the RDV board.
  • Options
    gregwilsgregwils Member Posts: 3
    GM definitely plans to create four and five cylinder versions of the excellent Vortec I6. This is a four valve, dual OHC engine. Here is a link to a dated article - http://www.gm.com/cgi-bin/pr_display.pl?2273.

A very early review of the Rendezvous in Car & Driver, it was actually a pre-production model, stated that GM had promised a new engine 'before long'. If I was give the choice between the Vortec I5 and the 3400, I would probably choose the I5, but only if it generated more torque and equal rpms. The more important issue is the type of power (low rpm, high torque) than the type of engine. An overhead valve engine does a fine job in this application.

There are too many people that are too happy with the overall performance of the Rendezvous' to be concerned with this issue. Good luck to all.

• Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    My father in-law recently bought a Rendezvous that does not have a roof-rack. He asked me to look around on the web to see what it would cost to get one (I will install it for him). Can anyone point me to a good (cheap) mailorder location for GM accessories? I would also be interested in hearing about any non-OEM roof-racks anyone has experience with. THANKS!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yakima and Thule are the biggest names in aftermarket racks, but not especially cheap. They have websites and sporting goods stores like REI and truck accessory stores sell them. Anyone else?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Here is the web address for Thule & Yakima. However like Steve said they are not cheep. I believe you can also buy them from Buick for about $48.00 each.

http://www.thule.com/

http://yakima.com/index.html

~ken

• Options
    I think your best bet would be to get the "Genuine GM Accessory" from your Buick dealer as it will carry a warranty and would be installed by them... that way if it should come loose on the highway and all your stuff fall off, you blame them and get it all replaced instaed of blaming yourself and crying about it... I don't know the prices they charge offhand but I'd imagine it's no where near an arm or a leg - maybe just an ear and a cheek or something... I think they have a "Give us your left Kidney" financing program coming out soon though...

~Lance
  • Options
    I inquired about roof racks from my dealership's parts department. Their database has more listings then what you can buy on the GM accessories online. But they could not locate the original roof rack that comes on some RDV models. I was told to ask the dealership sales people and they had no luck finding any info on it. I was more interested in an aerodynamic set rather than those square or round ones used for skiies and stuff.
  • Options
    dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    If you just want to tie a suitcase up there, fine. But if you want the type of rack that you can put bikes, canoes, kayaks, windsurfers, ski racks, etc. on the roof, you need a Thule or Yakima type rack.

DD
  • Options
    Here are the reported changes as reported by Cheers and Gears...

Rendezvous: One of the best-selling luxury crossover vehicles since its introduction as a 2002 model, the Rendezvous adds versatility by offering all-wheel drive, third-row seating and captain's chairs across a broader spectrum of its lineup. Additionally, Rendezvous builds on its wide appeal with such new options as XM Satellite Radio and a DVD entertainment system. There is also an optional electronic rear lift-gate release for quick access to the cargo area and an added pull-down strap for closing the lift gate.
    What it means to you... Equipment changes.
  • Options
    boondocksboondocks Member Posts: 57
    Yeah, but will you be able to open it with a key? :-)

I really never cared that you couldn't get in with a key until last Thursday. I let my 2 year old pretend to drive while I set up our camping tent at a campsite last week. I should have checked everything out (like all the knobs for parking lights, dome light, etc.) after she was done, but I did not. Right afterwards we walked down to the beach area where we stayed for 4 hours. Later that evening, I tried to open the lift gate with the key fob. Nothing. Tried the doors with the fob. Nothing. Opened the doors with the key. Tried to open the lift gate with the interior switch. Nothing. Realization that my battery is dead sets in.

So I walk down the path a bit and get a neighboring camper to give me a jump-start. But of course my cables are in the floor compartment in the back. Not a pretty picture to see me climbing over the back seat in the dark to get to them :-).
  • Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I told my wife to check with her dad to see what his intended purpose for the rack is. When I find out, I may be back for more guidance but I think you guys gave me more than enough info to get me rolling. Thanks again!
  • Options
    I agree that putting in a key to unlock the rear hatch would be a good idea.

I also wished they would make the black lever on the bottom of the 2nd row seats used by third row passengers to push down the bench seats glow-in the dark or lit in some way. I'm not sure everyone is aware that 3rd row passengers can free themselves like that. But the black color makes it impossible to see in the dark.
  • Options
    Nextmoon: thanks for the info on the 2003. However, the article states, "There is also an optional electronic rear lift-gate release for quick access to the cargo area and an added pull-down strap for closing the lift gate." I have a 2002 CXL and I already have the electronic rear lift-gate release on the tailgate (or do they mean they liftgate actually opens all by itself). Also, I already have a pull-down strap for closing the lift-gate. Doesn't everybody? FYI, I picked up my CXL about a month ago.

P.S. I didn't know there was a way for 3rd row passengers to free themselves! Thanks for the tip. Which black lever/bar, by the way?
  • Options
    This is the web address for Buick Rendezvous Accessories. It list all types of roof racks and part numbers that you can purchase from your Buick Dealer.

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/accessories/modellistRen.html

~ken

• Options
    Thanks for that page, but it raises a question. Can you buy a GM rack without one of the packages? If not, then I think we'll definitely be looking at the Thules or Yakima's. Thanks again.
  • Options
    tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    As written earlier, new for 2003:

Electronic lift-gate release (mid-year introduction)

XM Satellite Radio

DVD entertainment system

Two new exterior colors: Cappuccino Frost and Light Spiral Gray

http://media.gm.com/division/2003_prodinfo/03_buick/03_rendezvous/index.html

• Options
    tmakogontmakogon Member Posts: 74
    As announced today by GM the 2002 models will get $3000 customer cash

http://media.gm.com/news/releases/020702_summer.html

• Options
    That was actually a mid-2002 introduction. My early 02 RDV doesn't have the strap, just a handle and it works fine for me since I just grab the actually liftgate itself from the outside to close it... oh well..

~Lance
  • Options
    jk27 - On the bench seats there is a whitish color lever that you pull to move the seatback down and then roll forward. If you look carefully, that lever is extended further backwards to the rear of the seat cushion but is colored black (near the foot area of the 3rd row passengers). The 3rd row person can pull up on it to fold the 2nd row down and roll it forward. Hopes this helps. As for the cargo pull strap, mines doesn't have one and the CXL's at that time didn't have them either.

"For easier access to the cargo area, a new electronic lift gate release, available mid-year, provides a touch panel where consumers can unlock and lift the gate with one hand."

I suspect this is an exterior access to open the rear liftgate because the article (provided by tmakogon) states an panel and must be in the tail area to open with one hand. Probably similar to the 2002 Explorer rear panel hidden under a crease on top of the license plate area. It's two button covered with a rubber material that you press to release the rear glass (but no glass in this case).

kominsky - From what the GM parts guy showed me on his database, you can buy the roof racks separately without the packages. You can even buy just the bars alone like you can for Thule, etc. There are pictures of the racks you can see on that database, just ask him.
  • Options
    Hello Everyone

We odered our 2002 Rendezvous back in April and it was built on June 11. In other words it was built during the last week of 2002 production, it does not have a pull down strap, just a handle.
    We got the Rendezvous this past Friday and have already put about 600 miles on it. Amazing vehicle, the ride, the seats, the stereo, I even had some beautiful teenager say " hey mister that's a nice SUV you have there" she was right.
    I put the trailer hitch on it yesterday, and it tows my Trillium Trailer beautifully. I do wish they would retrofit the 2002's with a exterior hatch release.

Jeff
  • Options
    That's all great and fine but if it's ELECTRONIC, the hatch still won't open if there's a dead battery and we're stuck with the back, well, stuck, untill it gets charged... I dunno about that, it needs a manual release... like cars have for trunks now incase someone gets trapped in there... can't wait for the lawsuit from this one (although you could just crawl up the front door if you're that desperate...)

~Lance
  • Options
    I picked up my RDV a month ago. My 2002 CXL has a pull down strap on the liftgate. enniskillen: is yours a CXL, as well? How can I tell the date built, by the way?
  • Options
    The sticker on the driver's door should tell you the build date of your RDV.
  • Options
    Our Rendezvous is a CX and has no pull down strap.
    We have logged over a thousand miles in the 9 days since we picked it up and love it, but boy does the gas mileage ever go in the toilet when towing a trailer. We have a 900 lb 13 ft fiberglass travel trailer and the instant gas mileage readout said it was getting about 11 miles to the gallon at 70 mph.
    Yes the door sticker will tell you the month and year of manufacture, I was able to tell the day because I work for a G.M. tracking yard, it was built and left Mexico on the 11 th of June.
    We love the Rendezvous and so far the only pain is the lack of an exterior release for the hatch.

Jeff
  • Options
    kathy912kathy912 Member Posts: 8
    I have had my rdv for about 3 weeks and put about 1500 miles on so far. We all really love it. One problem I have is blowing the horn. I can't seem to do it without effort. Does anyone know the correct spot to hit? Also I had thought there was a remote jump start location for this car and I haven't read the manual through yet, anyone know about this. Thanks
  • Options
    jp614jp614 Member Posts: 34
    Just finished the holiday trip. I hit a new highway MPG record on the way back. 30.1 MPG over 172 miles!
    Since the highway patrol was out in full force, I set the cruise to 62 MPH and watched the scenery go by. I think if I set it to 59 or 60 the results would have been higher.
  • Options
    Wow! A couple of questions ... do you have the FWD or the AWD RDV? What kind of gas do you use? Are you in an area where you have to use reformulated gas (e.g., with ethanol or MTBE)? Did you use your air conditioner at all? Or just vent? And were you carrying lots o passengers/cargo or empty? Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    jp614jp614 Member Posts: 34
    I just stopped by the KBB site and priced out the 2003 models. Thank goodness I purchased last fall. Buick has eliminated many of the 1SD options from the new CX pricing. No HUD or 6-CD radio. I hope that the research is correct and they don't blow the 2002 momentum. I would have been really P.O.ed to try and justify spending $31K for something that used to be $29K.

Also, why did they drop the Sedona Bronze? I hope this new coffee color is looks better than my favorite chocolate color!
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    You beat my MPG record...and over a much longer distance!

Sedona Bronze cancelled? I wonder if they are slowly eliminating all the colors that come with the tan interior...LOL.