Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• Options
    lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    The angle the bulbs like that in order to create a more downward beam of light to better light up the ground in front of the RDV... it's not a bad idea, but it makes the fog lights only useful for about 50 feet, but at that distance the headlights are the main ilumination anyway.

~Lance
  • Options
    lukjacklukjack Member Posts: 21
    I know we discussed this a while back, but I am going to mount my front license plate but I do not see any pre-drilled holes....do I need to purchase a front license plate holder, and does that fit with the two bottom holes, or do I need to drill my own.

Also, I here Buick is coming out with a touring edition that will have the supercharged 3.4, I think making around 225-240hp...Comes from the supercharged Grand Prix, very sweet engine.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    We just returned from the RDV's first official road trip!

We loaded up the RDV with the kids and luggage (and portable crib, sleeping bag, etc.) and set out for the 300 mile (one-way) trip to Spokane.

This trip carried us from Seattle, through the Snoqualmie Pass, which peaks at around 4000', and then across the state to within a few miles of the Idaho border. Some highlights:

1. 22.5 MPG including extended hill climb and strong crosswinds through the flatlands east of Ellensburg.

2. Smooth, silent cruising. We were amazed at how well cabin noise is controlled.

3. Long distance seat comfort.

4. In-car DVD entertainment system for the kids. Don't leave home without it!

Here is a photo of our RDV at the farm in Spokane:

http://home.attbi.com/~fishkin1/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-133360.html

Here is our self-installed, in-car DVD entertainment system with 14" screen and 8 speaker sound!

http://home.attbi.com/~fishkin1/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-133366.html
  • Options
    dorene1dorene1 Member Posts: 75
    My husband installed front and rear license plates, and our RDV did have pre-drilled holes that lined up perfectly for license plates. I wonder if your dealer could assist..

The May issue of Popular Science has an automotive emphasis, with a cover photo of the new Pontiac Solstice, and how GM came out with it in record time. Several interesting articles in there for anyone interested, and a full page RDV ad too!
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    If all the RDV foglights are pointed upwards then I'm find with it. I just wanted to make sure I didn't have some weird setup on mines. Though it is an unusual setup. I was thinking they may have done that because the bulb looks like it may be too long to fit and may be right up against the lense if straightened to point forward.

License plate - I don't believe I had any pre-drilled holes either in the front or back area. My dealer just drilled in a few screws and it holds well enough.

Fedlawman - how did you hold the laptop in place? Hope it's not wedged in between the two front seats.
  • Options
    netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    Nice pix, Brian. You say that the DVD system has an 8 speaker surround setup. I assume this means that it is playing through the RDV's speakers. If so, how'd you set this up?

For the record, that's exactly what I've figured I'd do if I want a DVD player in my RDV: install a laptop somehow. That way I can also use a GPS, mapping software, games, and mabye wireless internet.
  • Options
    nextmoon - yup, it's wedged in there. It was a perfect fit. For future trips, I plan on making a bag that is deep enough to hold the keyboard and will hang from the front seats.

http://home.attbi.com/~fishkin1/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-133636.html

Also, I found a $19.99 power converter at Target and plugged it in below the second row vents.

http://home.attbi.com/~fishkin1/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-133637.html

netnerd - I used a cassette adapter from a portable CD player to connect the laptop's headphone jack to the RDV cassette deck. Although it was "8 speaker sound", the headphone jack only outputs stereo, so it was not "surround sound", just stereo. The nice thing about this configuration is that you can then use the RDV rear audio with headphones for the kids movie, and the grownups can listen to CD's or the radio up front.

I too have thought of using a laptop for wireless internet, games, and GPS, although I couldn't use any of these while driving, especially if the kids are watching movies in the back seat. Once the road trip is over and you're at your destination, the laptop could then be used for all of those things...in the car, at grandma's house, or wherever!
  • Options
    ottawa_seanottawa_sean Member Posts: 7
    Where I come from (Ontario, Canada) we need front and back plates. I noticed in the back cargo area of my RDV was the "Cover Plate" for people who do not need a front license plate. This plate simply covers up the front license plate area to make it look nice. Is it possible that those of you who do not have pre-drilled holes need to remove the cover plate to expose the actual mounting area?

Just a thought,

-Sean
  • Options
    netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    My RDV had the front cover in the back, too, and the dealer had put on its own little front tag thing. I put the cover back on. In Pennsylvania we don't have front tags. I have no idea why. Seems dumb to me.
  • Options
    I took the day off today (wife is sick) and took the kids down to Ft. Lewis to get haircuts and go by the airfield to take care of some business. Anyway, I live about 30 miles north of the post and had about 50 miles worth of fuel remaining in my gas tank from my weekend trip. I decided to do a little experiment.

After finishing with my business on post, I filed up at the Ft. Lewis gas station, reset all the trip computers to zero, and headed home. The gas station is about 100 yards from the freeway onramp so it was a good test of highway mileage.

I drove between 60 and 70 MPH all the way home, and I was very gentle on speed changes so I never let the car downshift once on the freeway. As I headed home, I closely watched as the "Average MPG" number slowly rose from a starting figure of 6.8 MPG up through 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, and 26 MPG! As I got off the freeway at my exit, the trip computer indicated an "Average MPG" of 27.7! I set a new personal record!

I then took the kids to Burger King, stopped at the post office, and went home. By the time I pulled into my driveway, my "Average MPG" had dropped to 23.5!

City driving takes a significant toll on fuel economy, and I expect by the end of the week, my average will be back down to 16 or 17 again, which is typical for the hilly, stop-and-go driving that we mostly do.
  • Options
    dorene1dorene1 Member Posts: 75
    Having same experience as you, Fedlawman. I got a new oil change, reset mileage, and had a freeway trip 20 miles in both directions. It was amazing how much Deja Vouz (our RDV's name) ate up the highway. It was 26.2 at the end of the day. Three days later of highway/street combo, and I'm at 18.2. Still much better than before the oil change, tho, and quite a bit better than Envoy owners say on their site.
  • Options
    I'm glad that you have seen such an improvement. I have been thinking of your last few postings and you are one of the reasons why I did my little test.

I suspect that the low gearing that allows relatively brisk acceleration around town is the culprit.

The top gear is tall (about 2000 RPM at 75 MPH) to allow good economy on the highway. However, in order for the RDV to perform well around town, the lower gear ratios are designed more for low RPM torque than economy. As a result, folks like us who drive almost exclusively around town see much lower fuel economy.

Considering that my 4 cylinder Honda Accord only averages about 24 MPG, 17 MPG for our V-6 powered, two-ton car still seems pretty impressive.
  • Options
    fedlawman - Just a couple of questions out of curiosity... Did the fuel indicator move much when you were low on fuel and going up and down inclines? My old car use to do that when I drove hilly terrain.

Also my old car didn't feel like it wanted to accelerate as quickly on hilly terrain with low gas (1/4 remaining) as it did with a full tank. Did you notice anything like that on the RDV?
  • Options
    Yes, I have noticed that the gas gauge moves more quickly (more rapidly appraoches "E") and swings more wildly when low on fuel. This is common with all cars I have driven, as well as motorcycles, small airplanes, and helicopters.

The needle swinging up and down is most obvious when going up and down hills, or whenever there is a shift in CG (accelerating, braking, cornering).

I'm not an expert, but I believe it is caused by the shape of the gas tank, which tapers down at the bottom, and movement of the fuel in the tank when the level is low. Since the float is at the bottom of the tank (co-located with the pump), the gauge will indicate more sloshing when there is only a little bit of fuel remaining.
  • Options
    I had my "Service Engine Soon" light come on Friday night with 710+ miles on the odometer. I was driving along on city streets and got hit by a blinding rain and wind storm. The rain poured down harder than my wipers could handle at max wiping speed crawling at 20+ mph. The winds were violent and slammed me around at times. When I looked at my cluster, the indicator came on. I pulled into a gas station and pop to hood and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Next day I brought her into the dealership.

The fault code returned was a "evaporation leak" at my gas cap. I've had problems fueling my RDV a few times - the pumps would stop at half-full level many times. The repair was technician tightened cap, found a twisted connection that was corrected, and computer reset. There were no technicians around when I picked her up so I didn't get more details. The service was above average. I liked that they put a plastic cover over my driver's seat so as not to dirty it - nice touch I thought. But I didn't like the fact that I didn't get to talk to a technician and see what was done in person. The dealer had a ticketing system where you get a number and tell the representative what the problem was and they send you out the door until it's fixed. I prefer the set up where there's a glass partition looking into the work area so you can see them working on your car. The only dangerous thing they did was to let me take my car without showing any receipts or ID of who I was. A guy drove my car to me, I pointed it was mines, guy held door open for me, and I drove away - not smart! Besides those little things, the experience was quite pleasant.
  • Options
    volvownervolvowner Member Posts: 37
    I've been following a couple of message boards as I prepare for my next car purchase, and it's struck me as odd that the Honda Odyssey board is filled with discussion about the merits of buying an extended warranty, while there's nary a peep about this option on the RDV board.

I know you RDV owners are rightly proud of your new cars, but while it appears to be a well-thought out and designed concept, it is a first-year, American-made car. I would think it would be a prime candidate for an extended warranty, as protection while first year design/execution glitches are worked out. At least for me, that's a primary reason for caution, at least until the '03s arrive.

Is an extended warranty offered by GM or aftermarket, and if so, at what cost?
  • Options
    Extended warranties are available from both GM and the aftermarket, and they are roughly priced between $1000 and $1600, depending on what you get covered.

I decided that I didn't need to spend money on a warranty I would probably never use, and that if something needs repair after the warranty, I'll just pay to have it done. The best extended warranty only goes seven years and by then, my Buick will probably only have 60,000 miles on the odometer.

Besides, the Rendezvous isn't truly a 1st year vehicle because of it's GM parts bin heritage. The bells and whistles (power windows, rear sonar, memory seats, etc.) are the most likely items to fail in time, and they are the same bits that come on Chevy Tahoes and Caddilac DeVilles, so they've been around the block a few times too.

If it makes you sleep better knowing your covered, then get an extended warranty, otherwise, just cross the bridge when you get to it.
  • Options
    mojo_jojomojo_jojo Member Posts: 17
    Well our round trip from Syracuse, NY to Orlando Fla. is over. I'd like to share some of our experiences with you all.

From my previous posts I posted pics of our RDV with the roof top cargo carrier and a hitch mounted carrier. Both worked great. Considering that we were traveling with six in our RDV these external cargo units were essential.

Now for the specs of our trip.
    I reset everything on the DIC to 0 except for the oil monitor.
    Total miles driven between 4/11/02 - 4/22/02, 2875 miles.
    Total miles now on our RDV - 3344.
    Oil monitor is reading 52% left. I will be changing the oil this weekend and will use full synthetic.
    Average mpg fully loaded, and I mean LOADED, 17.5 mpg for the trip. I find this more than satisfactory.
    Average speed for the entire trip, highway and local driving, 67.2 mph, ( we were moving along at a pretty good pace through the Carolina's).

Now for my likes and dislikes.
    With six people and all our luggage the RDV was very comfortable. The RDV 's handling and ride was exceptional. The trailer towing package helped keep the RDV "level" even when fully loaded. With the RDV running as everyone was getting in I could here the compressor kick on to compensate for the extra load.
    The rear controls for the radio were much appreciated by our two teenage kids.
    With the HUD I never looked at the dash other than to check the DIC, (hey Buick, in future models put the DIC info in the HUD), HUD has to be in all my future vehicles.
    I had a number of people at rest areas, gas stations, our resort, and at Disney parks ask about the RDV. That is kind of cool. I love to tell people how much we like our new Buick.

Now some dislikes.
    As mentioned earlier, the fuel consumption on the DIC only goes to 99.9 gallons.
    The engine is fine when the vehicle isn't loaded. I did notice the tranny "hunting" for the right gear uphill and under hard acceleration.
    For some reason the moon roof stopped working. I had it in the tilted position and could not get the switch to close it. Both my wife and I tried several times to get it to close. The only remedy was turning the RDV off and restarting it. Go figure. This is being added to my to do list for the dealer.

As my title to this post implies, these are my initial thoughts. I will add more as they come to mind, or will gladly answer any questions. I will add however, that our overall experience with the RDV was positive. We have made this same trip many times and our whole family is in agreement that the RDV was/is the best ride yet.
  • Options
    Thanks for the report. It sounds like you had a great road trip! I too have found the RDV to be a great road car and a very enjoyable driving experience.
  • Options
    I couldn't help but notice some inconsistencies while reading the new Edmunds.com road test of the Kia Sedona minivan.

Note that engine size and power ratings for the Kia Sedona and RDV are very close:

Buick Rendezvous - 3.4L V6 185/210
    Kia Sedona - 3.5L V6 195/218

Quotes:

Kia - "...it makes the most of the 195 horses while never feeling slow. Off-the-line power is superb...we can honestly say that it never felt slow, despite the engine's lack of peak horsepower."

RDV - "For 185 ponies to pull the 4,024-pound vehicle is a bit of a drudge; those taxed horses get tired out mighty quickly...in light of the anemic engine..."

Kia - "Performance testing had the van to 60 mph in 10.4 seconds...acceleration is respectable..."

RDV - "Zero-to-60-mph acceleration runs were achieved in 10.7 seconds, one of the slowest times among V6-powered SUVs and minivans."

Kia - "...hustled through the slalom at a rapid 59.6 mph."

RDV - "...ran our 600-foot slalom...at 59.5 mph, a tad slower than most other vehicles in this class."

Here's my recap - two vehicles with virtually identical numbers:

Kia - "hustled", "superb", "respectable", "rapid"
    RDV - "anemic", "slowest", "taxed", "drudge"

What did Buick do to earn the enmity of the media?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sounds like some good points for the Feedback Form (or maybe the Letters section).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    I don't know why it bothers me when the RDV gets unfairly bashed. Probably because it truly is a great vehicle with great performance.

I think I will submit it.
  • Options
    Here's that Letters to the Editors link - maybe they'll feature you next month!

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    My brother in law was telling me how weak the 185HP engine was in the Montana a few weeks ago. He then told me two days ago that he rented a RDV and thought it was supurb. I asked him how the power was and he told me it was "perfect". I didn't bother telling him it was the same engine as I didn't have the energy for the conversation. Just goes to show that perception is reality for many people.
  • Options
    I too think there is a double standard in rating domestic and import brands with reviews usually favoring imports. It's really rare that I find unbiased reports from all these reviewers both online and in print and Edmunds.com is no exception. A recent contradiction I've read is how moving the info cluster to the center in the Saturn ION was weird, not thought out, and other negative wording. The Toyota Echo did the same and it was highly praised with all sorts of positive comments on the center location.
  • Options
    I wonder if it was the same Edmunds reviewer for both models? We got lots of them :-)

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    I, for one, questioned Buick's use of the old fashioned pushrod 3.4 in this vehicle earlier on this forum. Then in my search for a vehicle I drove a few GM minivans and found them very peppy and great to drive, especially around town and on highways. The transmission works very well with engine, especially for highway passing gear kickdowns. I now own a Olds van and have no complaints about power for the application, so I really shoudl not have passed judgement on the RDV w/o driving it. Note: we have few hills here so I can't judge mountain climbing ability.
    DD
    DD
  • Options
    enniskillenenniskillen Member Posts: 87
    We ordered a CX yesterday with a G.M discount

CX with 1SC package ( versatility) $29,570.00
    Sunroof 792.00
    trailer package 362.00
    freight 900.00
    Total $31,702.00

without discount 36,500.00

We ordered white, over the charcoal. Attention other Canadians, as usual we are
    being treated as second class customers. In Canada we can only get charcoal on
    the bottom of the vehicle, while the American customers have a variety of options to
    choose from. Also we are forced to purchase a 2500 dollar option group in order to
    get the third seat, while Americans can order it as a stand alone option for about
    750 bucks. Are you listening GM, why do you treat Canadians as second class.
    The net allows us to compare notes now !
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all CX's are only offered with the charcoal cladding (in the US as well). Only when you move up to the CXL's do you get more options - at least that's what the brochure saids.

As for the third row seat I only saw it included with packages (like 1SC which I have also). My dealers didn't offer them separately. But I think someone mentioned you can order it from GM and install yourself but not sure if all the mechanisms are in place?
  • Options
    In my area I've seen minivan owners with removable seats that take them out and seat on them on the streets/park lots. The surfaces are usually concrete or asphalt here. Guess they're waiting around for people or whatever. What I want to know is does anyone think this made be harmful to the locking mechanisms under the seats for the RDV? I ask because camping season's around the corner and it would be useful to be able to pull out my seats for a great leather sofa out in the woods :) Any opinions?
  • Options
    dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    I have the Olds van, and I'd bet GM uses a somewhat similar system (they are king of the parts bin assemblers) for the RDV. I'm familiar with the latch as I had to re-weld a release lever to the latch on my 3rd row seat over the weekend. The original weld didn't penetrate very well.

My take on this that the steel frame would support you on a hard surface, but you don't want to get dirt into the latching mechanism, so if you do a lot of camping, you could have someone fairly easily weld up a base for the seat and use that to keep it out of the dirt, but that's probably more work than you want.

DD
  • Options
    Thanks for your input on this. I looked at the bottom latches and they felt pretty solid but thought someone might know better. I definitely will try the seats out in the woods, great to sit on after a hike or long day compared to those wooden picnic benches with no back support. I don't think I'm going to do the welding (no welding experience) but instead will lay down a sheet of heavy tarp to keep the latches clean as you suggested.

The other day I took out the middle seats for the heck of trying it and opened up the third row of seats. It was extremely roomy and comfortable to stretch out on the third row seats and just chill in there. It makes for a great "portable dorm room" as advertised by the concepts like the Honda Element. All I need is a DVD system (maybe like Fedlawman's) and a remote.
  • Options
    mojo_jojomojo_jojo Member Posts: 17
    nextmoon is right the CX only comes with the charcoal color for the lower cladding. Hey, don't feel bad about the 3rd row being part of your $2500 option package. We wanted our RDV to come with the luxury option group and found out much later in the buying process that the third row seating did not come with this $5000 plus option group, but had to be added for an additional $750.00.
  • Options
    Hi

We won't get our Rendezvous until July, but I thought I might surprise the wife with some Vanity plates for mothers day. Anyone got any ideas. We can get up to 8 numbers here in Canada. Tell me what you think, my wife's name is Ruby, and she is a Registered Nurse.
    So far I have thought of two, RUBYVOUS and this one is harder, let me know if you can figure it out. MYFVRTYF
    misterblandings@hotmail.com

Jeff
  • Options
    lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    she's my favorite wife too ;-)

~Lance
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    We picked up our RDV about two months ago. A white CX with the 1SC option group. Sticker was $27755 and we got it for $24435. It is basically my wifes car that I get to drive once in awhile. She absolutely loves it. And I would have to agree. I think it is very nicely done inside and out. There are a couple of interior trim pieces that could fit a little better and be a little more substantial. Overall I think GM did a good job with the RDV. Sales results would seem to uphold this. It is too bad that the automotive press (in most cases) does not give the RDV the credit it deserves. In comparisons the MDX and RX300 always seem to win and they cost a lot more than the RDV. Maybe someday domestic vehicles will again be embraced my our own journalists. Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    I agree. The press in auto press in general seems to prefer imports which can seem to do no wrong (especially Honda and Toyota). Perfect example is the new Camry which is butt ugly but you will hardly find anyone in the press who will say it.
  • Options
    Hi Dindak

Yes my model was black. After I spend about 2 hours preparing it, it will be like our on order Rendezvous, White over charcoal.
    Now I want to address the Toyota Camry issue. As I have said before in this forum, I work for an Auto Shipping yard, I drive everything GM makes or sells, including SAAB, ISUZU and Saturn. What I drive the most are the car's that are made in Oshawa, Impalas, Monte Carlos, and Century's. I drive over 10,000 cars a year, not including my own.
    I have never owned an import with the exception of one Austin Mini when I was a teenager.
    Because I had so many problems with my last GM purchase (1995 Pontiac Transport) I leased a Chrysler mini van last time. It's been fabulous, but oh so boring. This time I took a whole bunch of vehicles out.
    The Camry was wonderful, a quiet ride, a luxurious ride, and handled well. I could get it as a 5 speed if I liked, and the trunk is bigger than the Impala's I drive. Acceleration was fine, and there was only a 4 banger under the hood. The seats were comfortable, the controls intuitive and easy to use. Hell they even throw in both a cassette and CD within the base package.
    All this for 23 grand and change. Consumer reports, practically drools over their quality,and reliability. It's hard not to like a full size car that you can have your way.

Jeff
  • Options
    Well thanks for the warning, but so far I have found Dindak to be, a friendly, informative and generally helpfull fellow. Yes I have noiticed that he is involved in multiple townhall discussions, but having scrolled through many hundred of them, i don't see how he could be considered a problem.
    So he's interested in a lot of different cars, I have been guilty of that myself. As for having someone removed, their must have been sufficent reason for the moderator to take that action.
    I am sure Dindak is more than capeable of defending himself but I thought I would put my own 2 cents worth in.

Jeff
  • Options
    Don't feed the trolls :-)

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
  • Options
    I hope this is the start of good reviews because the RDV really deserves it. The article is brief but is fair. Though I have to disagree with the third row seats being difficult for adults to fit. It's the best and most spacious of SUV's (foreign and domestic) that I've sat in and I've carried a full load of 7 passengers many times ranging in heights from 5'2" - 6'2". Everyone has said they would be comfortable for even 2-hour drives.
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    This fall, the Olds Bravada name will disappear but the vehicle itself will be back as a Buick. Called the Buick Rainier, it's basically the same SUV but with a more Buick-like nose and it will only come with the aluminum 5.3 liter V8 that will be available in the TB EXT & the Envoy XL later this year.

Will Buick carry two SUV's in there line up????
  • Options
    Yep! RDV is selling like crazy, they aren't going to get rid of a winner.

Buick Century is toast in a year or two though.
  • Options
    From the articles I've read, the name "Rainier" is not official yet. I think a different name may be more catchy, IMHO. Also the Rainier will only come in the standard length model, but will be the only one of the quintapulets (spl?) that will have the 5.3 V8 in that length. Reason for the 5-seater is to leave RDV as the sole max passenger carrier.
  • Options
    cfocfocfocfo Member Posts: 147
    nextmoon -

I thought the reason for the 5 - seater in the Rainier and reduction in 3rd row production of RDVs was the safety concerns of the back row ?

Also, I agree with you on the name Rainier : (

Thanks Steve the Host !
  • Options
    While you cannot rewrite history, you will have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.

(I rather like "Rainier" ).

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    I haven't heard or read of the 3rd row safety issue for the RDV and Rainier. I have heard in general that some people were bringing up concerns with 3rd row seat options in SUV's in general (also including shorter minivans) but I don't know of any manufacturers doing away with them. In fact, lots of people are asking for them - Highlander board is begging for 3rd row seats.
  • Options
    Hello Everyone

Well if this Rainier makes it to production it will be at a whole different price level than the Rendezvous. Today I saw a extended , 4wd, 7 seater Trail Blazer, and it was $52000.00 Canadian dollars.
    Does anyone know a site where I can see how the Rendezvous is selling ? Did they meet their projected first year sales ? The Buick.com site is rather out of date, and besides they wouldn't tell you if sales had been bad.

Jeff
  • Options
    wampanaugwampanaug Member Posts: 14
    Anyone have any info on the '03 RDV line? Specifically, changes in standard equipment or new options we can expect?
    (My comment on Rainier is that the marketing people will nix it, as 97% of the customer base is going to mispronounce it.)