Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• Options
    pcs15394pcs15394 Member Posts: 27
    Has anyone had any problems with the lower body panels on their RDV's coming loose? I just Purchased a black RDV last week, as I was washing it yesterday, I noticed the lower body panel (Dark Grey)on the passenger front door is loose where it meets up with the black paint. I am curious as to whether anyone else has had issue with this. I am calling the dealership on Monday.
  • Options
    mojo_jojomojo_jojo Member Posts: 17
    Well, we finally picked up our RDV. After 3 weeks of waiting everything finally came together.
    The dealer we purchased from did not have the configuration we wanted and had to trade with a dealer quite a distance away.
    Our RDV is the CXL in Pewter/Graymist w/ the luxury package, towing option, captain seats in the second row, third row seating, GM rooftop cargo carrier w/special carrier bars, and a dealer installed tow hitch.
    When we arrived at the dealership they were finishing the installing the cargo carrier. The RDV looks very cool with the factory carrier.
    The dealer spent quite a bit of time helping us program the various features of the vehicle. Very helpful.
    Just some demographic info. on us. We are a family of six. My wife and I our in our early 40's and the children ages are, 17, 14, 10, and 7. I believe this is the market segment Buick was hoping for with the RDV.
    We had owned three mini vans prior to our RDV. IMHO the RDV is THE only rational replacement for families with similar requirements to ours. We looked at the Toyota Sienna, Toyota Sequoia, (loved this, poor mpg though), Acura MDX, Chrysler T&C, and the RDV. We never would have gone to a Buick dealership if it were not for this vehicle. Great job Buick.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    mojo - congrats on your RDV! It sounds really cool. I am anxious to see some pictures of your baby since I haven't seen the rooftop carrier before.

iswaidz - Since the RDV is essentially a minivan, I don't think SUV tire/wheel combinations would work well with it. I doubt that the wheel wells will accomodate a tire much wider than 225. IMO, a +1 upgrade would probably work well, but a +2 upgrade would adversely effect the smooth ride characteristics and add a lot of road noise. Besides, the Buick really doesn't like to corner, and it would take a lot more than upgraded rubber to transform it into a sporting machine.
  • Options
    lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    I haven't had a problem with it coming loose on my black/grey RDV... I did have a problem with the front door no seemingly cloosing all the way, there was about a half inch gap between the cladding on the front door and that of the rear... that problem got fixed though... that problem should be covered under warranty though...

Fedlawman- my name is Lswaidz, no I ;-) it's part of my email address at school any my initials...

~Lance
  • Options
    Fed: The only reason I talked about the GMT360 wheel/tire combos is because we all know GM would go parts bin if we got a new option. So I say the 245/65-17 because they use it on those trucks with a Michelin Cross Terrian tire. The 235/55-17 would be our plus one size though, however I would recommend going with a wider rim as the true plus one size is 225. The only problems with that 235 size is that it's pretty rare. Chances are we would be driving more of an all-season tire than a mud and snow tire we've got now... Bridgestone actually has a new tire out called the Turanza Rezo that seems like it would fit the RDV prety well... Check it out...

~Lance
  • Options
    Thanks for the correction, I should have been able to figure that one out.

I remember checking out a few tire store web sites and being unable to find a perfect +1 for the RDV. It seems the 215/70R16 tires we have now are quite rare, and a +1 will introduce some degree of error to the tire size.

I am somewhat interested in upgrading my wheels/tires but, because the RDV is really just the family wagon, and the stock 16" alloys are attractive enough, I probably won't ever go to the trouble.

BTW, I called one tire store before it closed on Saturday and was quoted $112.00 for a new Firestone Affinity! I had assumed that it would be a $60.00 tire. Of course I will call around and do some wheeling and dealing on Monday...I'm sure I'll get someone to go below $100.00 before the day is done.
  • Options
    I agree with you... it just doesn't seem worth the time or money to put new wheels and tires on the RDV... I think it works fine with what it's got. So far my RDV has got my through this Illinois winter, and everything seems fine.

The thing is, even if you were to put some glitzy 20" or higher rims on the RDV (which I considered for all of 13 seconds one day...) you'd just have to take them off when the weather gets cold and go back to the 16's with snow tires... so in my opinion it wouldn't even be worth it...

The way I see it, is that once my Tiger Paws go out I'll put something nice on there, a good mud/snow all season tire and run those down... but until then, I have a feeling I'll be sticking w/ the stockers and saving my money for my 350Z.

~Lance
  • Options
    cfocfocfocfo Member Posts: 147
    Just read your post, I haven't made final decision yet. Something about the RDV that keeps bringing me back to it.

Anyone hear about a rebate extension yet ?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "the Rendezvous is one of the lowest-priced premium-branded SUVs on the market".

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    I don't know what your criteria are in comparing the MDX to the RDV.
    But try riding in the third row of both vehicles, RDV is adequate and I am 6', 200lbs. MDX is unacceptable , no much room for kids either, and an adult, forget it.
    Granted, I personally will not be spending much time back there, but it's nice to know that when you need to, you can actually use the third row.
    Obviously there are many other factors to consider, but to us, a usable third row was important.
  • Options
    nosuvyetnosuvyet Member Posts: 72
    I hummed and hawed a long time about MDX vs. RDV. Here are the main things that swayed me. With the shift lever on the tree, the RDV makes much more intelligent use of the center console. Even though I'll never be carrying a laptop there is tons of room around the driver for just about anything. Though the MDX setup is sportier, I go for practicality every time. The MDX may look a little nicer inside, but the vehicle is NOT worth at least 20% more (at least in Canada that's the difference BEFORE you apply any rebates) IMHO. I did not feel like giving 4,000 of my hard earned (Canadian) dollars to an arrogant dealer as a markup for doing nothing that a GM dealer wouldn't do for a lot less.

Went with the RDV and very happy about it.

BTW, for anyone considering a dark colored RDV, the chrome rims look really sharp. I initially didn't want them and intended to delete them from the luxury package, but I forgot to. I'm glad I forgot.
  • Options
    cwjacobsencwjacobsen Member Posts: 293
    I agree with your observation. Gamera is sedona bronze, and like you I kept the chrome rims. I not only like the look, but think the styling of the rim is more attractive. I know the chrome makes me a geezer, but in my defense I still dislike gold accent packages and vinyl landau roofs.

CWJ

P.S. when comparing the Rendezvous to the MDX and their ilk, don't forget cargo capacity. I've needed it far too often to pooh pooh the extra cubic feet.
  • Options
    wampanaugwampanaug Member Posts: 14
    Anyone have any info on anticipated changes in the 2003 RDV? Liftgate latch seems an obvious improvement, but local dealer professes no word yet from Buick. The final design for the new model must already be signed off (if not already underway in Mexico). GM probably wants to hold off on publicizing it while they're still selling the 2002s.
  • Options
    pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    More power would be nice. It would be more competitive with the likes of Acura and Lexus. More tasteful interior maybe a Nav option.

This is a Buick, I expect higher quality from this division.

I am in the market for a vehicle like this (I like the RDV) but cannot plunk 30K for an underacheiver years behind the competition, even behind some of GMs other SUVs.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Higher quality? I see more many more problems being reported in the other forums vs the Rendezvous. As for the Rendezvous itself, it has a beautiful interior and is priced thousands less than the competition.

Sounds to me like you want something for nothing.
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    pacinpelo based on the current car you drive you are not exactly in the upper Echlin of vehicles. However if you wish to join that group and spend 40 or 50k you can purchase the RX, MDX or even the ML320 with the Nav. But even without the Nav it would still cost you thousands more to purchase one of these vehicles.

You claim the RDV is an underachiever years behind the competition, even behind some of GMs other SUVs. I am not sure what you are smoking but it sounds like it could be very serious and harmful to your thinking process. It would be very hard to find a better value ( about 32k with all the toys ), or ride quality at any price, or the size of the RDV ( bigger then the RX or ML320 ) If you can purchase ANY SUV with a NAV system for 30k do it.

Ken
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There's no need to toss out personal insults. Please refrain.

Thanks.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    Speaking of the 350Z (a beautiful car, BTW), have you checked out the upcoming Infiniti G35 coupe?

IMO, it is much better looking than the Z, and has the added benefit of a small back seat.

If I was in the market for a $30K car to share the garage with my Buick, that would be it...nothing else comes close.
  • Options
    First I am a Buick fan and was happy to see the RDV (I was expecting more)....The car i drive, Regal GS, is a great car for the money....The RDV, I feel is not-----yet. This given the fact that the GMC Envoy has won critical praise in many areas...and BTW is in the same neighborhhod of pricing.....
    NO Kenym...I am not going after the overpriced competition (BMW and Mercedes). However within the few thousand swing for a better warrantied and performing MDX or RX. Or maybe a GMC Envoy. I sway away DISAPPOINTINGLY from the RDV until GM gets a real clue on what it wants this car to be....NOT smoking anything and never have and a hopeful RDV owner soon....
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    wasn't meant as a personal insult!!!!
  • Options
    Oh man, don't start me on the Skyline, I mean G35 (hehe). If I had the cash to get that, you don't even know how fast I would running to my local Infini dealer. You know the initial rumor was that it was going to get the V8 from the Q45, only tuned for a little more horsepower...

I think I'm going stick with the Z though. I'm working all summer at Woody Buick in Bensenville, IL selling Rendezvous and all their other fine (i'm such a salesman) vehicles. It looks like we'll have another man on the inside on this board now, and it'll be me.

But that's besides the point... the G35 is a fine coupe, but I think right now, based upon the budget I'll have, the 350 is my next ex-wife. Haha. Even though I haven't had one yet. I won't be getting it until the '04 model it looks, so hopefully they'll have the T-top model out by then... that's the main reason I'm getting it.

Thanks for the input though, and I'm glad somebody agrees with me about these being nice sports coupes.

~Lance
  • Options
    cfocfocfocfo Member Posts: 147
    Maybe hanging out on this board will pay off for you. I live in the town just north of your dealership. The best dealer offer I have received thus far is $ 200 under invoice.

IF I decide to buy a first year vehicle made in Mexico with (IMO) not so good gas mileage, am
    I better off waiting, as the price seems to be dropping by the month ? Or maybe even waiting for the second year, 2003 RDV ? wait, a minute .... am I asking a saleman if it would be wiser to wait to purchase ? SLAP !

BTW, I love the Rendezvous, and consider it one of the best values in it's class, MDX is too much $$$.
  • Options
    I think you are missing the point of RDV. It's a value play, not a direct competitor of Lexus and Acura. Thousands of dollars buys you more for sure, but for the money RDV is a great deal especially when you take into account discounts and incentives you will never see at Lexus or Acura.
  • Options
    I agree with your logic. As I said I am a Buick fan and love my GS. I expected the RDV to be more. I have driven it and had it on my list to buy in an instant but it fell short of my expectation because of power. Then when I saw performance numbers (call it what you will against the competition) Buick needs to up the ante for this to survive in a growing market of 5 speed autos, more hp SUV land we live now otherwise it may not survive. A 185 hp engine just doesn't do it. (mindful:This does not need to be street racer). 200-215 hp would be an adequate amount of power. And for the gas mileage hounds out there it WON'T make a signifigant dent in your budget further.....
    When you look at SUV owners surveys their two common improvements they demand in this class overall is: More Power and Third Row Seat.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...wasn't meant as a personal insult!!!!

I am very glad to hear that though others just tuning in might have misinterpreted the intent.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    jwsmithjwsmith Member Posts: 46
    Must be missing something with mine - it certainly has enough power to satisfy our family. Economy? At almost 3000 miles, our average is around 21.6 MPG (AWD)- mostly secondary roads in foul northwest Michigan weather with an average speed of just over 40 MPH. We're satisfied to abide by posted speed limits and keep away from the "jack rabbit" starts. Our draw to the RDV was picking up 6 plus MPG over the traditional SUV offerings in mileage, and not requiring a real "off-road" vehicle (already have one). Some would not be satisfied unless they could squeal their tires at every gear shift and knock off 6 second 0 to 60 MPH times - but that does not appear to be what the RDV is all about. The RDV is a great value - not the leader, but priced far below the higher hp and NAV equipped offerings that appeal to some - and suits our needs perfectly.
  • Options
    We only have 308 miles on our RDV. IMO engine power is a non issue. Considering that we just traded in a 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager that had the 3.3 V6, cranking out a whopping 158 hp.,(what a beast), the RDV is more than adequate.
  • Options
    Here's my opinion on your situation...

You're right, it is a first year vehicle... there are bouch to be numerous fixes for the second year run. But you've got to understand that with all these updates will come a little more money. The price very well may go up for the 2003 RDV (catchy, almost like 2002 Ron-daa-voooo). Anyway, see what the dealers are offering at the end of the model year, that's usually when you get the best deals as long as you buy off the lot.

~Lance
  • Options
    Pacinpelo, you make a valid argument. On paper, the RDV truly is nothing more than a modified 4 year old minivan with a pushrod V-6 and AWD.

In reality however, the RDV whole is greater than the sum of it's parts.

The RDV offers a well thought out combination of performance, quality, luxury, space, features, and value. Obviously, I found the RDV "mix" to be perfect for the needs of my family. Others, such as yourself, may be looking for a different mix.

The MDX, RX300, ML320, etc. are all excellent alternatives that offer a different "mix" of pros and cons.

For me, the perfect SUV would be as versatile as a Honda Odyssey, all-weather capable as an Audi Quattro, reliable as a Toyota Camry, solid as a Mercedes S Class, luxurious as a Lexus LS, expensive as a Kia Sephia, and as fast as a Chevy Corvette.

Nobody's done it yet, so I had to make some compromises. The Buick is an excellent compromise.
  • Options
    The 185hp 3.4L has plenty of power for most everyone but I do agree that an optional 200+ hp engine would probably sell more vehicles to people like you who want more. 0-60 times are competitive though and gas mileage is best in class. No a little less mileage won't break the bank, but I see fuel prices going no where but higher.

BTW. A third row seat is an option and available now.
  • Options
    buzzbo99buzzbo99 Member Posts: 111
    To me the Rendezvous is exactly what I would expect of a Buick. Understated luxury at a competitive price. So far my RDV has exemplified Buick quality/reliability, but I only have 10000 miles. Yes I have seen many SUV's and other vehicles leave me at the stop light but I just see them stopped again with me at the next light. As far as highway travel, it carries my cargo and me at the speed limit and even allows me to pass slower traffic. I do have to admit I love the gas milage and pep of the LeSabre engine I too remember reading a post that it would not fit into the RDV engine bay. Most of all I just love the smooth ride after years of riding on a truck chassis.
  • Options
    As I have posted earlier we are a family of six with a new RDV.

We will be taking a trip next week that will start from upstate New York, stopping outside of Richmond, VA for two days and then onto Orlando FL. for one week.

We purchased our RDV with the factory cargo carrier and had the dealer install a hitch. The hitch will accommodate a hitch mounted cargo platform that will supplement the roof top carrier. Between the hitch mounted carrier and the roof top unit we have plenty of room for our "stuff". For some reason though my wife keeps humming the tune from the Beverly Hillbillies.

I will be sure to post some pics of the RDV once I have everything ready. Also, after we return I'll provide a summary of our experience.
  • Options
    cwjacobsencwjacobsen Member Posts: 293
    Make sure you give us a trip report. I've been toying with the idea of creating two new topics in the Rendezvous owners club area, one of those would be a "trips and cargo" topic where people could post their trip reports and crow about what they managed to carry in their Rendezvous. But I'm not one of our board leaders so before I do so, I've got to ask Brian F. and Brian M. if they think that would be a good idea.

CWJ

P.S. Looking forward to posting my Winter Carnival trip report. (test donuts in the snow, the adult car nut's equivalent of snow angels). Brian's if you want the story you'll say yes to this topic idea.
  • Options
    "Let them eat cake"
  • Options
    Here's a link to some photos I took today.
    The photos show the hitch mounted cargo carrier on the Rendezvous.
    Also, there are some photos of the roof top carrier that is off the vehicle. Enjoy.

http://homepage.mac.com/rjcap/PhotoAlbum3.html
  • Options
    spiritman1spiritman1 Member Posts: 57
    Thanks for the great pictures. The leverage on that hitch pin must be enormous....how much weight can you load on that carrier? Can you jump up and down on the tail end without hurting the pin?

Spiritman :)
  • Options
    I modified the carrier to utilize the factory stinger. I did not like the straight shaft that came with the carrier, it looked like it was only 4-6 inches off the ground and I was afraid it would scrape the pavement.
    The pin you see is actually a Grade 8, 1/2"x4" hardened bolt with a nylon stop nut to secure it to the stinger. Inside the aluminum square tube that the bolt goes through is an inner steel sleeve that runs the entire length of the aluminum tube. And yes I have jumped up and down on it. Seems very secure.
  • Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    Hey, is there an online version of the RDV manual anywhere on the Internet? I do have my manual but it's more convient to look up stuff or print out individual pages. My Ford had the entire manual in PDF format online.
  • Options
    netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    Thanks for the great pix. Your Rondy looks like it was nice and clean, too!

I saw you had pix posted on mac.com, I assume you're a Mac user. Me, too! Maybe we should start a discussion for Mac using Rondezvous owners. ;-)
  • Options
    Thx, the RDV is just two weeks old and it is still show room fresh. That won't last, four kids haven't got to it yet.
    Yes, we are Mac users too. We have a home network set up using four Macs;
    two are imacs, a power mac 5500 and an old performa 600. Using OSX on the newest imac.
  • Options
    boondocksboondocks Member Posts: 57
    Just passed 10,000 miles yesterday. Time sure flies! Love the versatility - the third seat is up, down, up again. I use it more often than I thought I would with only a family of 4. Speaking of which, the interior needs a good vacuum :-).

Don't quite understand what some are saying about not being the fastest off the line at stop lights. I love taking off and surprising the little sports cars. Of course I don't blow them away, but I hold my own out in front. The gearing makes it so easy. The flip side is that I hang out in the low average for mileage by doing that, but sometimes it's just worth it.

I would love to see a trip report section in the Owners Club. We'll be taking up camping this year, plus we might squeeze in a short vacation. Is Brian M. still around? Haven't seen a post from him in a while.
  • Options
    I was reading something on autoweek.com and ran across an article on Buick abandoning the "It's all good" slogan for something more sophisticated, blah, blah... What caught my attention was Buick intends to introduce a new slogin along with the debut of another Buick sport-ute next year. No specifics except for that statement.

So will our RDV be getting a big or baby brother?
    Cadillac is supposed to take the Olds Bravada so not sure what it could be.
  • Options
    jp614jp614 Member Posts: 34
    The new vehicle is to be based on the TrailBlazer platform. No indication if it is the std 5 seat, extended 7 seat, or a mid-sized Avalanche (GMC is to get one of those).
  • Options
    dws41dws41 Member Posts: 12
    I spoke to a GM rep who said that the 2003 Trailblazer will have an option of a longer "cab" with a third seat. The platform on which it is built is still a "truck" and does not have "independent suspension".
  • Options
    I saw the "new" GMC Envoy XL yesterday. They are extended versions of the Envoy. The Chevy Trailblazer is being introduced at the same time. I wanted to include either of these vehicles in our search for a new family car. Unfortunately they were not available. Seven passenger seating was a per-requisite in our search.
    After seeing the Envoy XL, I am still glad that we decided on the RDV. The RDV exterior and interior is much classier than the Envoy.

As an aside I have updated my home page with additional photos of our RDV. We are just about ready for our trip.
    Here is the link:
    http://homepage.mac.com/rjcap/PhotoAlbum4.html
  • Options
    Thanks for the pics. The RDV looks great with the roof carrier and the rear carrier...well, at least it's functional!

I agree with your assessment of the Yukon XL. I like the added cargo and 3rd row seat room it offers, but it is almost as long as a Suburban, and IMO, the stretched wheelbase makes it look hideous. Quality has also been a problem for the mid-size triplets, and being a truck, it doesn't ride or handle as well as the RDV.

The Buick is still the winner in my book, although I think the Honda Pilot will steal sales from everyone (including Acura) when it comes out this summer. The Pilot won't have all the amenities or the supremely quiet ride of the RDV, but it will be similarly priced and carries Honda's reputation for quality and resale.
  • Options
    mojo_jojo - nice pictures you have posted. It gives me a good sense of how accessories would look on my identical RDV :) Everything except for the wheels that is.

Envoy XL - I saw this in person at the NY Auto show. It showed as cut out to show the interior layout. But it looks awfully cramped in there even with the extended length. It looks like the 3rd row passenger will
    have there knees up high close to their chests because there's not much depth for legs in the back. Not to mention the thing is monstrous in size!

Pilot - I saw this at the show as well but it was locked up on a spinning platform. It was smaller than I had imagined...almost as large as the previous generation of Explorers. I don't think access and space in the
    rear would be as easily reachable or useable like in the RDV.

RDV - There were two loaded CXL's on the display floor and many people approached and sat in them and remarked that it was very comfortable and nice. But the Buick guys stood there like dorks and looking like they had something stuck up there tailpipes (re-edited to please Edmunds.com) and didn't take the opportunity to tell these people more...a lost I say.
  • Options
    Yesterday evening I was crawling around the bottom of the ground adding some screws to the license plate mount and I noticed the foglights. Both bulbs in the foglights were not pointing forward leveled but rather about 45 degrees upwards towards the sky inside the casing. Has anyone noticed this on their fogs? Shouldn't they normally point leveled straight ahead.
  • Options
    netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    I'll double check, but I'm almost certain that mine point roughly straight ahead.
  • Options
    spiritman1spiritman1 Member Posts: 57
    thanks for the pics....seems if you slid that blue storage box over you would have room for the cat transporter on the porch.....and what a view he'd have!

Spiritman :)