Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rendezvous

Comments

• Options
    nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    I have the CX with the leather with cloth insert seats for all three rows in my RDV. It comes with the ISC package. I think leather comes in the ISC package. You can always check the Buick website or Edmund's new car section.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Kenym, I didn't think I made a slur about your age - some folks are new to the net and don't know about emoticons and the acronyms.

And I drove the family 1953 Buick back in the 60's so I don't think you've got too many years on me. Either way, no offense intended.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Steve no offense taken. It is I who owes you an apology. I was only kidding, and about the age difference well... I don't think so... I already served in the Army and had two kids by 1960.

Ken
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Sometimes it's hard to get your meaning across on the net. Next time I'll stick some smileys on my message :-).

I'm almost 50, so I must be gaining on you pretty fast ;-)

That '53 Buick ran great, btw. My dad used to race Caddy's at the stoplights and enjoyed leaving them in the dust.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Because my RDV is seven months old and contains a lot of expensive electrical components I thought it might be wise to start looking at extended warranties. So I added a couple new links to my Web Page ( Accessories Page actually )

I still have a little over two years remaining on the GM warranty so I dont think it would be wise to purchase it just yet. But here are the Platinum Warranties Sites I found.

http://warrantydirect.com/index.asp?^

and

http://www.1sourceautowarranty.com/

• Options
    The warmer weather is just around the corner for my parts of the country. I'm looking forward to taking my RDV to do some camping in the woods/beach. It's not serious off-roading, but just dirt roads, broken pavement, gravel type of deals. Has anyone taken any trips like these with their RDV yet? Let us know how it performed or what should we expect going up those winding two-laners.
  • Options
    cfocfocfocfo Member Posts: 147
    I am researching how the RDV fairs in the very important safety issue of SUV Rollover. Still love the RDV and see more and more on the road around here, and I think the RDV has a few things going for it over the other SUVs in this area ....... but family safety trumps the long list of likes I have for the RDV.

I just came from reading posts at ....... Town Hall SUVs SUVs -- "unsafe on any tire?"

Is this going to be nothing to worry about or another consumer safety secret ?
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    The RDV really has nothing in common with truck based SUV's in this regard. It should perform as well as most minivans, which is to say, very well.
  • Options
    bace61bace61 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone used the spare on their RDV? I'm curious as to what their experience was(hard, easy or otherwise)
  • Options
    grumbgrumb Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2K RX which is the best vehicle I have ever had. My wife is in the market for a new vehicle and likes the idea of a third row seat but does not want a minvan or large SUV. (Yes I saw the USA today article). If she gets the Rendezvous, I may go to a sedan when my lease is up later this year and let her have the family hauler. What I am interested in is a comparison of the two vehicles. Besides the third row are there any impressions- Has any mag done a side by side comparison?? Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    netnerdnetnerd Member Posts: 118
    If you're interested in comparing the RX300 and the RDV you can get some comparison info from right here at Edmunds. They have a comparison area that'll show you the specs for up to 4 or 5 vehicles side by side.

As to using the spare tire, I know there are several posts here that say it's not the easiest spare tire to get unhooked from the car and that it's tough to get the jack back in place when you're done.
  • Options
    On the second day of ownership, I took the time to remove the spare tire just in case I would have needed to in an emergency. The jack is located inside an trapezoidal opening on one side of the rear panels and it takes a little wiggling to get it out. At first I didn't realize there was a long thumb screw holding it in place. Once you unscrew the long screw, the jack is actually resting on a hinge and you need to lift it slightly up and then outwards to clear it. There's a laminated instruction sheet attached to the jack for assistance.

The jack comes in two pieces - the base and an arm. You use the arm to lower the spare tire by turning a bolt hidden in a cut away piece of the cargo floor. It's rather simple to lower the spare. Then you have to remove the plastic lug covers on the wheels with the arm piece - quick twist takes them off. After that just quickly attach the arm to the base of the jack and you're ready to do your business.
  • Options
    cfocfocfocfo Member Posts: 147
    Thanks for the spare tire info. Wise move to try it on your own terms first. I would imagine many other driver's first exposure to the spare tire system being at night, in 30 degrees, along side the windy interstate, trying to hold the flashlight in the mouth.

Now that's Fear Factor !
  • Options
    So Tim what did you end up buying the RDV or the MDX???
  • Options
    ottawa_seanottawa_sean Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,

Just wanted to share my excitement. After waiting 8 weeks so far my dealer let me know last night that my RDV has been built and is shipping to my location. Hopefully a week or 2 will see me in my new pewter metallic RDV CX!

Thanks to all posters for a great forum. I have learned a great deal from this site.

-Sean
  • Options
    cwjacobsencwjacobsen Member Posts: 293
    That's great! Be sure to share your impressions when you get a few miles under your belt (tires?).

CWJ
  • Options
    nosuvyetnosuvyet Member Posts: 72
    just curious, what did you pay relative to invoice? I want to know how my deal compares.
  • Options
    I know the feeling. I happen to have the same Pewter CX FWD with ISC. What's your configuration?
  • Options
    ottawa_seanottawa_sean Member Posts: 7
    Hi again,

I get the GM employee discount because my wife's father is a GM employee. The invoice price for the RDV FWD CX with the value equipment group (sorry I don't have the code) is 32,115.00 CDN.

We are paying a few thousand less + all of the usual additions and tax.

I found the RDV very well equipped in it's base configuration. Perhaps next time I will step up to leather and AWD.

- Sean
  • Options
    Here's a link to a story in yesterday's USA Today regarding problems with the Mercedes M-Class.

<http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2002/03/18/mercedes.htm>

• Options
    Hi Grumbe - Don't know if you're still out there but in answer to your question ... Besides the 3rd row, the Rendezvous is a seriously larger vehicle than the RX. 6.5" longer, 2" wider, 3" taller, and its wheelbase is a whopping 9" longer. Not surprisingly, its cargo capacity is 44% greater. On top of that it is thousands and thousands of dollars less expensive. If you compare the price of options side by side, I think you'll find that the Lexus options run about 50% more expensive than the same option on the Buick.

Step-in height of the Rendezvous is lower, which is a big plus for my wife. But ground clearance is still high enough to go through water and snow much better than any car I've owned. Serious off roader? No way!! But neither is the Lexus. But who cares? If that's what I had wanted, I'd have gotten a truck-based SUV.

No plood in the interior? Though others will disagree, personally I say Amen to that. I'm SO tired of plood. Is the Rendezvous a "minivan in a funhouse mirror" as Automobile Magazine calls it? Yep. Then again, I'd say most minivan design could use a little streching and tucking here and there. I know Automobile meant it as an insult, but funhouses are fun, and Gamera has proven to be the most versatile and best fitting vehicle (for our needs) that we have ever owned.

CWJ
  • Options
    cdavidc1cdavidc1 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone noticed a difference in the ride quality between the FWD and the AWD models? I am thinking about a RDV and test drove 2 yesterday and the AWD model seemed to have a better ride.
  • Options
    Sorry, I've only driven the AWD models. I will say, however, that my AWD is a super smooth pillowy ride. It's like riding on a cushion of air sometimes. Really nice!
  • Options
    I driven both before my purchase of a FWD model. I can't say I noticed any difference in ride quality. But I'm unsure whether the models with the air leveling system would ride any different. I've read others saying that the ride is softer with the leveling system for GMC Envoy owners.
  • Options
    damomdamom Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone! Been VERY busy and just caught up on the postings.

3000+ miles and loved every minute of them. Not to mention everyone else in this small town. They all want one! I am a heavy footer so my mileage is not always the best but never under 19 in town. Went to Texas 2 weeks after purchase (8 hour drive) and made myself keep it steady at 75 (oh so hard) and my mileage stayed around 22 to 24.

On the heater problem-try running the vehicle at idle for five minutes with the defrost or defog on - on high full. At 18 degrees here recently (Louisiana - this is not the norm) this worked just fine. It mentions something about this in the owners manual.

I have the CX with leather seats ISC package. Was weary about the leather living in the hot south but everyone said they stay pretty cool. My problem with the seats was you had to have the upgrade to get the memory seats which was one option I HAD to have (hubby is foot taller).

Some of the teachers and kids have said it is the BOMB (which apparently means VERY GOOD). Also the students think the design is real cool and classy-Cadillac styling-LOL (their words). So I think even the younger generation likes this vehicle as much as I do.

Debbie
  • Options
    gregwilsgregwils Member Posts: 3
    I have read in several auto magazines that the interior trim pieces in the Rendezvous are average/below average quality. I know most of the posters love their vehicles, which is very reassuring. However, in an effort to be totally objective how would you rate the quality of the interior components - visually and movement. I'm referring to accent pieces, handles, switches, etc. My wife currently drives a Regal and has an interest in the Rendezvous. Her Regal is a nice car, but I would not reference the interior components as one of it's strengths. Thanks for your comments.
  • Options
    pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Auto reviewers love to bash GM interiors but the motors and gizmos beat Ford and DC IMO. Trim is in the eye of the beholder, anyway. Personally, I like trim with exposed screw heads so I don't have to go looking for hidden clips if I want to fix something!!
  • Options
    grumbgrumb Member Posts: 21
    Appreciate the good info on RX vs. RDV. What though is plood??
  • Options
    steelheadersteelheader Member Posts: 3
    Great site. Just stumbled upon it doing some browsing for a new SUV. From what I've seen out there, the RDV appears to have everything from good looks to a roomy interior. But today I came across yet another SUV entrant. This one's from the new kids on the block, Kia. However, the Sorento is not expected to be out here in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, until June or so. From what few pics I've been able to gather, I'd say the RDV is classier-looking overall, but the Sorento certainly has some curb appeal too; caught my eye. To help me in my decision, could two or three existing 2002 RDV owners post their top three likes and dislikes.

Much appreciated,
    Craig
  • Options
    gmdronegmdrone Member Posts: 78
    Plood= plastic wood, you know, fake woodgrain on plastic! You see a lot of it every day, not just in cars!!

MAK
  • Options
    Hi gregwils - The Rendezvous' interior was actually a huge draw for my wife and me. I think the plastics are very good in the places they need to be very good, and everything that comes to hand has a very comfortable feel. The vehicle has its share of hard styrene-like plastics here and there (the dashboard face for example), but these are NOT on places where you normally come in contact, like the steering wheel, gear shift, arm rests, storage bin lid, or controls.

I know Edmunds complained of rattles in their test Rendezvous, but that has not been the case with Gamera. He has been rattle-free and I think his build quality is the best I've seen in any post-sixties domestic vehicle I've owned.

Reviewers have bashed the fake metal-look(?) trim in the Rendezvous and this has left me puzzled, since I think it's a great and different look that works well with the rest of the interior. That it doesn't actually try hard to look like something it's not, unlike plood, I consider it more honest.

CWJ
  • Options
    Craig The new kid on your block is definitely on a different block than the RDV. Comparing the RDV to the Kia Sorrento is like comparing the adequate performance of the RDV to that of the souped up $66,545 Mercedes ML55 AMG. In other words there is no comparison. Different classes altogether.

Compare the Kia Sorrento to the Toyota RV4 or the Hyundai SF. They should be in about the same price and performance range.

Ken
  • Options
    Craig I was wrong about the Kia Sorento. fedlawman had a link to it in another Town Hall and it really is a nice vehicle. I don't think it is as big as the RDV but definitely bigger than the Toyota RV4 or Hyundai SF. You are right it is worth looking at.

Ken
  • Options
    The Sorento will only have seating for five. It is truck based (body on frame) and will be available with 2WD (rear), 4X4 (part-time), and AWD.

It has a 192 hp V6 and a top of the line model will have ABS, leather, 280 watt stereo, and other goodies.

I think it will be a great value (estimates are $25K fully loaded) and will compete well with the Tribute, Liberty, CR-V crowd.

The interior looks nice (plood dresses it up) but it won't offer all the features, room, or the serene ride that the RDV has.

However, you could buy a well equiped Sorento for less than $25K, take off the emblems, and your neighbors will think you bought a 2003 Lexus RX300!
  • Options
    mojo_jojomojo_jojo Member Posts: 17
    Any experience on a long trip with your RDV? We are travelling to Florida in two weeks . We are taking delivery this week on our new RDV. It's the CXL and has all options available with the exception of the engine block heater. We also ordered the factory cargo carrier and the dealer is installing a trailer hitch. There will be six in our new RDV. The roof top cargo carrier and a hitch mounted cargo carrier will accommodate all our "stuff". Any one else taken a "loaded" trip like this already?
  • Options
    90mercsable90mercsable Member Posts: 48
    After driving my RDV for 8 months, I've just realized that my Lt.Gray interior, has a med.oak narrow dash panel(up against the windshield) which contains the alarm lights and head up display opening.(I hope I've described the panel adequately)

Has anyone else noticed this in their lt. gray interiors?

I haven't yet gotten a chance to go to the dealer to look at any they have on the lot.
  • Options
    jamesp2jamesp2 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone who purchased a RDV also seriously considered the 2002 Aztek. I am considering both and have only driven them both once. My wife has a Montana and like it but I find the front end soft and handling so so. The 3.4 seems to go fine for city and highway driving and I like the gas mileage when compared to the Jimmy I currently drive.
  • Options
    gm_litogationgm_litogation Member Posts: 168
    Be sure and ask the people in the Aztek forum as well! They are also willing to help you decide. Also you might want to consider the Saturn VUE, another good choice.

Buick and the Aztek are great vehicles, and with incentives are great deals!!
  • Options
    dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    I agree with your accessment of the Gm Vans. Suspension is too soft, but otherwise solid vehicles. I have an Olds Silo Ex. I have done minor suspension mods to every other vehicle I've owned (shocks, springs, sway bars, etc), but can't find anything for van owners. I wish I could find some stiffer springs for the van. The monochrome paint scheme of the olds doesn't look bad for a van and with some upgraded tires and wheels it would look like a neat vehicle.

I live in Houston and although I do kayaking, mountain biking, soccer, etc, I really don't have a need for 4x4 - so the van works great and they do get very good fuel milage - I avg 23-24mpg commuting in traffic and around town.

The Aztec would be a decent choice if you drive vehicles into the ground and are not concerned with resale value. They are not very sought-after on the new market, let alone the used market. If you REALLY want a deal, look for a used Aztec!

Good luck. The RDV is nice and does a lot, but its expensive compared to the pontiac IMHO from a functional perspective. But if you like to look at the thing, the RDV is much easier on the eyes! The 3.4 is not a smooth screamer, but for mello people (not stop-light racers) it works great because of efficient Torque and the best working automatic in the business.

DD
  • Options
    In response to the question about the durability of the interior components, I would just say that I am satisfied with what's on the RDV. They look fine and do their job. Some parts I wish were different: the door handles seem sort of cheap, the dash board trim seems sort of cheap (as in cheap plastic). But I really like the stereo, shift lever, turn signal etc. column, HVAC controls, power windows/locks/mirror controls.

I obviously didn't think their appearance or durability was enough to keep me from buying it.
  • Options
    Our Pewter CXL will arrive at the dealership this Thursday. They have to install the trailer hitch and the rooftop cargo carrier. We will pick the RDV up Friday, Saturday at the latest. We can't wait to get rid of our mini van, (this will have been our 3rd). We are really excited about breaking out of the mini van cycle.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Anyone else seen the Silver Leaf yet? I just found one in a dealer inventory and it doesn't look too bad. I'm guessing they just started using this paint color recently as it's just now showing up. Well, anyway, here's the pic:

And, here's the full digital window sticker:

http://www.woodbridgepontiac.com/Buick/22556.html

• Options
    Yes I saw the Silver leaf last week at a dealership in Canadiagua, NY. Very sharp.
    As my previous post references, we went with the pewter and storm gray. A close second was Indigo. Until our RDV arrives I WILL read all 2345 posts on this board.
  • Options
    Does anyone know the part number for the standard cross bars that comes with the RDV? I was looking to get a pair and could not did up the number from my manual or dealer or parts department. Or if anyone knows of other crossbars that fits? I'm looking for a decently priced pair, don't need to carry skiis or snowboards but just cargo. I would appreciate this info.
  • Options
    volvownervolvowner Member Posts: 37
    Does anyone know what (if any) changes to expect on the '03 RDV vs. the '02, and whether there'll be an '03 in the typical ~Aug-Sep timeframe?

What would you current owners most like to see improved in RDV version 2.0?
  • Options
    buzzbo99buzzbo99 Member Posts: 111
    The #1 improvement I would like to see is a rear hatch or tailgate arrangement that could be opened from outside.
  • Options
    lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    I agree with the latch being added to the liftgate... I can't tell you how many times guys at car washes or anywhere else have spent upwards of 10 minutes search for a way to open the hatch... although it is quite funny, it's certainly not effective. Even just a simple relocation of the switch to open the hatch to a more standard position such as under the headlight controls would be acceptable...

I'd like to see a voltmeter incorporated into the drivers information center as well, that would be very helpful.

Also, I don't know if any of you have had this problem, but the lines for the washer fluids are not insulted very well and the rear washer fluid dispenser pulls from the standard resevoir in the front of the car... I've had my lines freeze over numerous times and in fact crack once because of the cold.

Another thing I'd like to see is a switch to 17" wheels with some larger tires, hapers similar to the setup on the GMT360 trucks... they carry a 245/60R-17 setup with Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tires which are very effective. The Uniroyal Tiger Paws on my RDV just have no been up to par for my needs, and although they get by, don't give the car a proper stance or the handling characteristics I'd like to see from a "near luxury" SUV...

~Lance
  • Options
    I have to agree about the rear hatch...although I think it's already planned for next years model. Personally though, I don't have a real problem with the current set-up. I've got the key fob and dash button, and they are just fine.

Frankly, if this is the worst complaint that most of us can come up with, I'd say that it just confirms what a terrific vehicle the RDV is.

As for the wheels, I LOVE the 17" wheels on the new Aztek and Vibe. They would look great on the RDV! Check them out.
  • Options
    I agree that bigger wheels would probably look aesthetically better. Not that the current ones look bad, just that a slightly larger tire might look cooler in my opinion.

I'm perfectly happy with the latch arrangement. Perhaps others are in and out of theirs more than me, though, so maybe if I were it'd be an issue.
  • Options
    lswaidzlswaidz Member Posts: 92
    I don't think I've seen the new aztek wheels... unless you're speaking of the "2-piece" 5-spokers they're using on it... if so i don't think that would look right on the RDV. Our car really needs a nice multi-spoke chrome rim. And I don't think it would be so much for looks... adding a larger, wider tire really helps to boost the handling performance and ride characteristics of a vehicle. Case in point - my dad's 99 Park Avenue Ultra. This car was just BEGGING for a nice tire. The stock Goodyear LS tires just weren't right for a supercharged sedan like that. I ended up getting him some 235/55R-16's. It's an H-rated all-season performance tire. I noticed an IMMEDIATE gain in cornering speed. No more squeeling or complaining of ANY kind. That car can take turns at 40 if it needed to now...

The RDV would really benefit from a tire package like that of the Envoy/Trailblazer/Bravada. More specifically the Bravada, which carries a 255/60 setup on 17" rims. It's a very useful setup, and although not a common tire size, has very nice attributes around the corners compared to it's GMT360 stablemates.

Another nice setup can be found on the Isuzu Axiom... which is quickly becoming one of my favorite vehicles in it's class. I recently drove one and was VERY impressed with it. I wish I would have known about it before getting the RDV as it may have swayed my opinion... the axium uses a 235/65R-17 setup on pretty attractive rims that really fit the personality of the axiom, cutting edge.

Anyway, I think it's within GM's reach and ability to at least add a bigger tire option, so hopefully they'll do it... considering the RDV is one of the few GM SUV's and now trucks to not offer a larger or even optional tire/wheel package.

~Lance