Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    sapphirebluesapphireblue Member Posts: 29
    Websites like Edmunds and Consumer Reports have new car pricing features you can pay for, and they have the 2005 CR-V on record. I believe these reports also give pricing for accessories.

-sb
  • Options
    sapphirebluesapphireblue Member Posts: 29
    Hi all. Deciding between a 2005 Honda CR-V and a 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i wagon for my next car (and future family car). Decided to get online price quotes for both vehicles, and will be submitting the e-requests tomorrow.

Two questions for fellow CR-V owners and shoppers:

1.) For those who have, or are considering, the LX model ... how have you decided whether to go for the 2WD or the 4WD? Is the 4WD worth the slight drop in gas efficiency (e.g., in places that don't normally have harsh winters)?

2.) Has anyone seen a 2005 CR-V in the Silver Moss or Redona Red Pearl colors? Neither have shown up at our local dealerships, and I was hoping to see examples before putting in my online price quote request. But now, I just need to move forward, so I need to pick one to quote.

I was leaning toward red if it's a darker shade (vs. fire engine red), but the medium gray could be pretty too. I keep hoping they're holding up deliveries to patch for the potential fire issue, but that's probably too presumptuous. It's probably just a slow initial roll-out of 2005 CR-Vs to the local dealerships. So I'm just going to get bids for a CR-V and an Outback, and make my decision once I have the quotes back.

Thanks for any and all input on #1 and #2 above.

-sb
  • Options
    bshelbshel Member Posts: 232
    2. - The Accord also comes in Redondo Red, so you may get to see that first. I have the Chianti Red ('04), and really like it as it is a darker red. I haven't seen the Silver moss yet in dealerships either.
  • Options
    send_itsend_it Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have a 98 Honda CR-V I use studded snow tires ( all 4) I deliver Rural mail and need to get around even in the worst weather conditions. Does anyone know if I can put 215/65R15 on my vehicle? I can get new ones with aggressive tread w/studs for 40 dollars each. They are a Goodyear tire (great quality BUT not sure if I can use them. Thanks
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You can, but the diameter is about 0.3" smaller, and you will lose about half that much in terms of ground clearance.

The Speedo will read high and so will the odometer.

Probably not enough to matter, though.

-juice
  • Options
    citystyle1citystyle1 Member Posts: 2
    I am about to purchase either the CRV LX or EX (to the poster above all colors were on the lot today, as were two SE's). The sunroof is not an issue to my family, but the option of trading in or selling in the future needs consideration. Will the lack of sunroof reduce the trade in value to more than the difference of the initial investment in the option? We get hail storms in our area, and I'm also curious how hail could damage the sunroof.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    No one can be sure if you will see a return on the extra money you pay for an EX, but it will be easier to sell.. I'm pretty sure you won't "lose" money by getting an LX.

I've seen hail damage to the roof of a car, but I've never seen it damage the sunroof.. If it hails hard enough to damage the sunroof, the whole roof of the car will likely be trashed.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I believe glass would be more resistant than sheetmetal, by far.

-juice
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    "The Speedo will read high and so will the odometer.
    Probably not enough to matter, though."

what if you are paid by the mile? :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    jessegjesseg Member Posts: 9
    The silver moss CR-V have just appeared at dealerships in the San Francisco Bay Area. One of the dealers (where we bought a 2005 CR-V) had it in both a manual EX and an automatic EX. I have not however seen the car in a Redondo Red.
  • Options
    Then get even smaller tires.

Just kidding. Stay within 3% of the stock size, which that tire size does by the way.

-juice
  • Options
    drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Going to 215/65 is called plus zero I believe. It can be done but like others mentioned you will have some minor trade-offs. Also I think the spare tire cover may not fit.
  • Options
    atuzaiatuzai Member Posts: 47
    My dealer suggestion me to do power steering fluid and break fluid flush ( $170 for both) for my 2002 CRV with 40300mi on it. Anyone can give some suggestion for these? Do i really need to do that or it is just dealer trying to make more money? Thanks!
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    For my '99 CR-V, Honda recommends changing the brake fluid at 3 year/45,000 mile intervals. I don't see anything in the Honda Service Manual about changing power steering fluid as a service item.

FYI
  • Options
    I would flush your brake fluid if you've never done it before. Brake fluid abosrbs water over time and water compresses, so you slowly have less linear/direct feedback from the brake pedal.

Not sure about the PS fluid.

-juice
  • Options
    xxcyrusxxxxcyrusxx Member Posts: 3
    Hey, I'm about to change my tires on my 2002 CRV. Any recommendations? I'v been wanting to get rid of the Bridgestone Duellers for a long time. Also, If I get a different brand tire should I still use 26 psi for the tires? Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    atuzai: << My dealer suggest me to do power steering fluid and break fluid flush ( $170 for both) for my CR-V.. >>
    Be sure to ask him HOW exactly he plans to do brakes fluid flush.
    Recently they "flash" brakes fluid in my Volvo S70 GLT (as a scheduled service ). I learned that they actually only sucked the fluid from the expansion tank and refilled it with new fluid but did not bleed the brakes lines. What a shame!
     I hope that, by charging you $170.00, they would bleed the brakes lines also.
  • Options
    kay1864kay1864 Member Posts: 21
    My 2004 LX has the same wiring (almost) as the EX, so I can (and did) install the remote key entry as a DIY.

Now, the 2005 EX has the steering-wheel mounted audio controls--but the LX does not. My wife is buying a 2005 LX. So my question...

Is the 2005 LX pre-wired for the steering wheel controls, but just no controls actually there? If so, will this be possible to DIY (assuming I buy the controls and the wiring harness), like the remote key was on my 04?

Thanks!
  • Options
    ekaneekane Member Posts: 1
    Have been using PartsCheap.com. They have all Honda Accessories at a discount worth looking at.
    Have use them on my 2005 CRV. They are regular Honda Parts. They are Shipped from California.
    EKANE
  • Options
    aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    2002 CR-V EX

I am running the stock alloys with Yoko Avid S/T 215/65/15. These are slightly wider and lower than the factory size. Tracks straight, mpg is same as stock Duelers. Decent wear. Looks like I'll get about 45,000 miles on the set.
  • Options
    sek4mlksek4mlk Member Posts: 24
    Any idea when the fuel filter should be replaced? Unlike older Hondas, the newer model manuals don't mention any periodic replacement of the fuel filter. Seems unsual for a fuel injected engine to not periodically replace fuel filter.

Honda shop manual for my 2001 Civic only says to replace fuel filter if fuel pressure drops below a certain value. Thought 02 and later CR-Vs might be similar to 01 and later Civics because they all have fuel filter embedded in fuel tank. Is this a fundamental change in maintenance philosophy?

BTW, posted same question in "care & maintenance" topic on Civic board. No much heard yet. Thought this board might have different folks participating.
  • Options
    inkieinkie Member Posts: 281
    I saw some diagrams of the fuel pump, fuel filter assembly sometime ago and from what I remember you cannot change anything. The filter is part of the pump and needs no service. When it breaksdown you change the entire fuel pump. Its been a few years since I looked at the diagrams but thats what I seem to recall.
  • Options
    sek4mlksek4mlk Member Posts: 24
    Parts diagrams for the CR-V and Civic show that the fuel filter/fuel pump assembly for both models is similar (but Civic filter lists for twice as much as the CR-V). For the Civic, the fuel filter is replaceable by removing the fuel pump first, but only required when the fuel pressure drops below 40-47 psi (who routinely checks that?). Also requires a special tool to get the pump out.
  • Options
    motordavidmotordavid Member Posts: 39
    I personally run no vehicle/m'cycle past two yrs w/out a brake fluid change. But, the "tech" has gotta crack the caliper bleeders, not just suck it out and refill the master cyl.

As for the PS situ: reams of opins on car boards and the net. Consensus seems to lean toward changing it every 2-3 yrs, If you are keeping the car. Some do the easy DIY turkey baster approach over a few days, (allows the ol'suff to recirc back to the resevoir.) And, most rec'd the new synthetic based PS fluids. If yours isn't dark ruby red and clear, it probably wouldn't hurt as some of the passeges in the PS pump are tiny.

Not sure the local Honda Stlr would be my pick for either; mine has "finally progressed" to semi-syn oil, lol! And, their "techs" are pretty low-tech,imo.
    BR,David
  • Options
    tallone1tallone1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 and bought Michelin HydroEdge when vehicle was new in attempt to reduce road noise. They were terrible - sounded like mud grips. Changed to Michelin Destiny - (Discount Tires) they were a little better but still sounded like steel wheels.

After 12Kmiles convinced tire dealer to let me have a set of Yokoham Touring. The reader response that I researched show users of these tires to be happy.

These tires are great. Reduced noise appreciably and I can actually enjoy the radio without concern for my long term hearing.
  • Options
    skycryorskycryor Member Posts: 7
    When should I change my engine oil for a 2005 CRV, is it every 5000 miles as my dealer told me?
  • Options
    rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    Check your owner's manual for severe service. It states oil change at 5K, use 5-20 wt oil or if you are into synthetics Mobil 1 has a 0-20 designed for Ford and Honda autos. Do not change the oil early as it is a break in oil. Again read your owners manual on this issue.
  • Options
    hnachtigallhnachtigall Member Posts: 6
    As i write this it is snowing and 10 degrees in Colorado. Seems like a good time to ask the heater question. I recall reading somewhere in this forum about reprograming the heater vents. When my 2004 CRV heater is set on floor only..a very small amount of warm air goes to the floor ( my wife says none) and most comes out of the two side dash vents. Is it possible to reprogram the heater vents to get more air on the floor?

My nickles worth on the great tire debate. I too suffered with the Duelers and road noise. At 29K they were close enough to replace. Went with BFG Aqua's... WAYYYYYYYYYY quieter...will never be confused with my Olds Intrigue with the same tires... but better. Handling was greatly improved.
  • Options
    rockycow33rockycow33 Member Posts: 76
    Use the side vent shut offs to force more air to the floor. You may have a problem with the heater based upon your description, take it to the dealer have them check it out.
  • Options
    pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    Hello,

I am new to cruising the CR-V board. I am the current owner of a Subaru Outback Limited (4 cylinder). I purchased the car about 2 years ago and have been relatively happy with the car, aside from a few quirky problems (brake rotors, electric locking switch that now needs its second replacement). During my initial purchasing decision, I was interested in the CR-V but really wanted leather. Now that the Special Edition is available, I will look again.

I have friends that swear by the reliability of the CR-V and as a Consumer Reports buff, know all there is to know as well :)

My one question, and I am sure others have asked:

I drive around 36,000 mi/year and want to make sure the AWD system is solid. How is it compared to the Subaru; even if they are not identical systems? I live in the seacoast of NH and tend to deal with snow, sleet and ice.

Thanks!
  • Options
    The primary difference is that CR-V's system is part-time. There is no center differential so it's only engaged on slippery surfaces.

It should be reliable, though. You won't see many complaints about problems with RT4WD.

-juice
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "I drive around 36,000 mi/year and want to make sure the AWD system is solid. How is it compared to the Subaru; even if they are not identical systems? I live in the seacoast of NH and tend to deal with snow, sleet and ice."

The system is solid. Though, doing that many miles each year means you'll probably want to have the diff fluid replaced every year.

With the addition of traction control and stability control to the 2005 CR-V, its performance should change from adequate to pretty durn good. Though snow tires are always a good idea.

My concern for you would be noise. Doing that many miles each year means a lot of time spent in the car. CR-Vs are a bit noisey at highway speeds.
  • Options
    Get an RL if you can afford that, sweeeet AWD system and plenty quiet for trips.

I bet that system trickles down into other Hondas in time.

-juice
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I'm sure the SH-AWD from the new Acura RL will trickle down to other Acuras (TL and MDX), but not Hondas. By the time it makes it to the Honda level, they'll be using hybrid electric AWD.

VTM-4, however, may make it to the lower half of the Honda line. The Pilot already has it. The Ody would be the next likely candidate, but we might see it in the next gen CR-V.
  • Options
    pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    Thank you for the posts regarding the AWD system on the CR-V. I do feel confident about it after your posts.

I have read in Consumer Reports and other magazines that the CR-V can be quite loud. I am hoping to test drive one this weekend to find out how it does on my highway commute.

Then new RL looks very nice. It is rather steep for how many miles I pack on cars/ year. ;)
  • Options
    Hybrid electric AWD is interesting - Lexus' implementation has no engine power going to the rear axle. That means the AWD RX400H will actually be based on the FWD RX330.

The rear wheels only get electric propulsion. So no driveshaft to the rear, I believe it doesn't even get a rear differential, either.

100 decibles of Lenny Kravitz can fix the road noise problem. :-)

-juice
  • Options
    hnjjzhnjjz Member Posts: 12
    I asked this question in the accessories forum, but didn't get any replies, so maybe someone here knows the answer. I'm planning to purchase some tire chains for my 2005 CR-V. The owners manual tells me that I'm supposed to only use cable-type chains with rubber tensioners, but the people at the auto parts store tells me that cable-type chains don't have rubber tensioners. I have no clue about tire chains, so I'm really confused about this conflicting information. Can anyone help clarify this for me? Thanks!
  • Options
    motordavidmotordavid Member Posts: 39
    Re: "I have read in Consumer Reports and other magazines that the CR-V can be quite loud. I am hoping to test drive one this weekend to find out how it does on my highway commute."

I would rec'd also driving a Used CR-V to get a feel for hwy speed noise; a brand new car w/5 miles on the tires sounds considerably quieter than it will a year later w/several thou miles on the tires. Most tires get considerably more noisy as the tread wears. It, the CR-V, is droningly loud,imo, on hwy runs at hwy speeds, prob. due to slight insulation, huge wheel wells,etc.
    Jes' a suggestion.
    GL,md
  • Options
    Read something else on Autoweek yesterday - the AWD RX400H will have a 2nd electric motor for the rear axle, so it'll actually be more powerful than the FWD RX400H.

I bet this is the trend for the future. We'll see more and more rear axles powered only by electric motors.

-juice
  • Options
    honda78honda78 Member Posts: 10
    I was just having the same heater discuss with hubby. My 2005 CR-V does the same thing, not much air on the floor. It all comes out the dash. I did close the dash vents and that helps. It now get hot on the floor but I don't feel hot air blowing like you normally would. I have never had in my previous 3 Hondas heater air come out the dash vents.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    The outer dash vents are strictly manual.. You have to close them, if you want all the air directed to the footwells.

Do you have the air selector dialed to feet only? Mine blows out fairly strong... much less so, if I run on the feet/defroster setting.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    bonbondogbonbondog Member Posts: 2
    Just wondering if anyone have seen a CR-V in Cosmic Grey Pearl? Is it the same as Pewter Pearl in the US market?
  • Options
    bonbondogbonbondog Member Posts: 2
    Anyone knows what's the color of the CR-V photos released by Honda!
    http://www.hondanews.com/CatID2037?view=p&page=1

I think that's really nice!

Can we get that color in Canada?
  • Options
    automaticautomatic Member Posts: 41
    Look up the website for SCC Chain. One of their products that they suggest for the 05 CRV is the "Shur Grip Z" which is a cable "chain" with the rubber tensioner. I plan to get a set for my 05 CRV EX. The website has a store locator which will tell you who sells their products near your zip code. Good luck.
  • Options
    I believe that is the Pewter Pearl in the U.S. I think the Cosmic Grey is the same or closest in Canadian market.

http://www.honda.ca/Honda/BuildYourHonda/Step1.asp?L=E&Modeln- ame=CR-V&yr=2005
  • Options
    gotjgotj Member Posts: 5
    We bought a cosmic grey pearl EX-L at the beginning of November. Love it. It's a great color, and based on internet photos, looks similar to pewter pearl.
  • Options
    jessegjesseg Member Posts: 9
    For the 2005 CR-V does the dealer need access to the physical car to make a duplicate for a lost valet key, or should he able to make the duplicate based on the car VIN and possibly other code associated with the VIN.

Thanks.
  • Options
    newbieoncarnewbieoncar Member Posts: 3
    Hello there, I had a stupid question. I just bought a CRV-EX 2004 recently. I want to know beside the car itself, should it come with a owner manual/radio access card/Warranty Booklet??? I make a big mistake. After the dealer hand over the new car to me, they said they might lost the owner manual and claim they will mail it back to me. Now I have a new CRV without any music for couple weeks already. I really want to know what should come with the new car. I really really appreciate all of ur help
  • Options
    Sounds like the radio was disconnected somehow and they are missing the radio code? That should come with the new car upon delivery, as well as the manual. I would keep calling them, and if need be, they can pull the radio and find the code on the backside and reset your radio. As far as the manual, have them give you one asap, doesn't matter how they locate it.
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    There should also be a small warranty booklet and possibly a seperate tire warranty booklet. Keep calling them until they give you everything that should have been with the vehicle when you bought it.

Good luck!