Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• salcidosalcido Member Posts: 2
    Greetings all,

I just purchased a 2001 EX 4A last night and was amazed on how much the dealer was willing to work the numbers. We ended up getting it for more than $1000 less than invoice though have seen it priced for almost $2000 less.

While happy with the car and the deal was wondering if they just have too many due to new models like the Rav4, the economy, new body style coming out next year, or my favorite current owners don't did a new one since their current ones are still doing so well.

BTW any suggestions on add-ons and where to get them would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sal
  • gwapogwapo Member Posts: 20
    how much did you pay? incl. taxes/dest'n charge/etc?
  • qdiscqdisc Member Posts: 29
    Huh? $1000 less than INVOICE? Am I missing something. I thought within 200-500 of invoice was a good price (for example, John Elway here in Colorado posts their No Haggle price on an EX manual as 580 over invoice).

Please explain

Q
    Huh? $1000 less than INVOICE? Am I missing something. I thought within 200-500 of invoice was a good price (for example, John Elway here in Colorado posts their No Haggle price on an EX manual as 580 over invoice).

Please explain

Q
  • funkywufunkywu Member Posts: 4
    Hi All. My wife owns a 1998 CRV-LX, which we both love. Unfortunately, as many of you may have heard, Houston suffered catastrophic damages as a result of Hurricane Allison. Among the loses was our dearly beloved blue CRV.

1) Our insurance company has determined the vehicle to be a total loss, I was wondering if someone out there can help us in determining what we can expect as a "fair" payment from the insurance company for our vehicle. Our 98 CRV LX only had 28,600 miles on it and it was in excellent condition.

2) We loved our CRV so much that we're planning on purchasing a 2001 model. Can someone give us an idea of what's a good price range for a 2001 CRV LX?

3) I've also heard that the CRV is going to be redesigned for 2002, is this true and what can I expect? Anybody have any idea when the 2002 will be hitting the market?

Thanks!
    have you tried http://www.kbb.com ?
    What is this? This dealer is quoting me a price of 448 over invoice, but is saying he has to tack on a $289 processing fee? Is this a scam?

Q
    if the $289 processing fee is inclusive of: title, window etch, dealer markup, advertising fees,
    invisible sporty features, invisible safety features, etc. then that's okay (IMO)...
    'tis only $289
    Hi Gwapo, I had checked with KBB already but after some research I learned that insurance companies don't like to use KBB because their quotes are higher than they would like. Typical of insurance companies. Thanks anyway.
    What is this? This dealer is quoting me a price of 448 over invoice, but is saying he has to tack on a $289 processing fee? Is this a scam?

Q
  • salcidosalcido Member Posts: 2
    I am currently at work but will post the numbers tonight but for a 2001 CR-X EX I paid $19100 plus taxes..etc and got the 5.9% Honda financing. The sticker was $21,990 and invoice was $20,132.

Honda World (13600 Beach Boulevard Westminister CA, 92683 Phone: 714-890-8900) had an add for the EX for $18,200 (had 6 at that price) last weekend.

As for a processing fee there was a $45 document fee but no $289 processing fee.

Again I will list the details later tonight.

Sal
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Phil--Yes and no. The fee is fairly common, it varies in some parts of the country from zero to $600!

Salcido--Good dealer, I work with Wes Griffin there. The $45 doc fee is normal in California, no one waives it.
    Damn sal, you rock! Am I idiotic then to be thinking that $450 over invoice is a good deal? Sounds like it.
    Q
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Eek, never ever use household (dishwashing or otherwise) products on your car's paint. It will severely damage it in a short time. Any quality spot-free automobile washing liquid should work just fine. I've used Rain Dance, as well as Simoniz car wash and both are good and in-expensive. As for waxes, the top rated wax in Consumer Reports is Zymol. Preston's Bullet Wax is almost as good (but not as glossy, and doesn't give the same depth) and less expensive. You should be waxing your vehicle at the start/end of every season anyway. Think of it as a labour of love ;-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Anybody know where I can look at pics of the 2002 CRV? I heard that they're giving it a new look.
  • sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    With the possible exception of colors (for dealer allocation), there is virtually zero reliable information on the next-gen CR-V, but plenty of rumors. I don't expect anything to really talk about until its a matter of weeks before they hit showrooms.
    I know it matters little now, but Allison never actually made hurricane status. In fact, it was already downgraded from Tropical Storm status when she let loose on H-Town. It turned out that I was on some of those freeways just minutes before they became impassable. Had I known what was really taking place then, I would have just stayed home!
    The first big lesson I learned was that a storm doesn't need a hurricane label to be worthy of your attention. The secondary lesson was that the CR-V will drive like a champ through 12-18 inches of street flooding without any problems whatsoever.
    Finally, I hope your car was the worst of your losses.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Try www.mag-x.com

They show the Honda HRV which I think is the Japanese version of the CRV.

Good Luck!
  • freedavefreedave Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. Love all the great information. I had crossed the Honda CRV off my car shopping list after a friend recently drove a 2001 and described it as tinny. I then had the chance to drive a 1997 CRV-EX which same friend thought to be more solid. I liked the 97, which isn't for sale, so I may test drive the 01. With some of the great prices you are getting on the new CRV's, it might not pay to buy used. Has Honda cheapened elements of the CRV since it's earlier models? And if they remodel it in 2002, will it make the value of the older body style drop? This may be the worst time to buy a car, before all the new models come out, but I have to shop now before the Plymouth van loses it's transmission. I enjoy reading all the advice here. I won't make the same mistakes I did when I bought my first new car many years ago...paid sticker.
  • dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    HR-V is not a japanese version of CR-V. they have both, hr-v is a smaller car that the cr-v. it is available for sale in europe and japan. it is a cute little ute. i drove it when i was in japan. it is much closer to civic feel than the cr-v.

i have a question though, did anyone try to replace the amber gauges in the cr-v with indiglo gauges made for civic. the size seems to be the same as was in my 99 civic. the only thing i don't like about my new cr-v is the amber lighting. it is so annoying at night. i loved the cool hyper white/blueish dash and radio lighting inmy civic. i didn't check it when i test drove the car at the dealer and now i am stuck with gauges and dash lighting that annoy me at night.
    thanks
  • beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    If anything, the opposite has occured. In 99 the engine got a 20hp boost along with a change in the interior fabric (a darker grey). The SE model adds even more content then was available before -- Leather, tint, more powerful cd/cassette stereo, etc.

As with any model redesign, the older model will lose value. But the current model has some great things going for it -- very reliable, good safty record, good economy. The other good thing about a model changeover is prices are better than ever right now.

I suspect your friend made his judgement of the '97 based on tires. The stock tires that come with the CR-V are a bit on the noisy side. The '97 more than likely had quieter replacement tires fitted. That might explain the "tinny" description.

Dudka, Indiglo gages are available. Just do some searching on the performance sites. Check over at the "Other" forum or look at www.hondasuv.com for some info.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hmm, lost my subscription for a while there. What did I miss?

Nice leather, varmit. I really like the gathered leather look, plus it at least appears to be real soft. Much nicer than the stuff in my Miata (I'd have chosen cloth but I bought it used).

Those super swamper tires cracked me up!

-juice
  • origenxorigenx Member Posts: 13
    salcido - dang, how the h*ll did u get that deal? I just paid less than $300 over invoice. Is there some new dealer rebate out or something? I didn't think they were going for at or under invoice now!

drew_HOST - Thanks! So, it'd be a safe best to use a car soap like Rain Dance, Simoniz car wash or Maguier's (#1403 by Bulldog).

For waxes:
    1) Zymol
    2) Preston's Bullet Wax

But what about those once-a-year finishes (typically some polyurethane blend) like Nufinish?
  • mihai1mihai1 Member Posts: 10
    I have a good experience with Maguiar's wax...not the cheap $5,99 wax, but the more expensive gold class (about $10). I like to apply it every three months because I live in Florida and I don't have a garage.
    I saw some of the previous messages, about the passenger side wiper...same thing in my car...I thought something was wrong also, but I guess that's normal huh?
  • joncodjoncod Member Posts: 4
    I purchased my 2001 EX with automatic in Boston about two months ago. I did some serious shopping, and was able to purchase mine for $50.00 under invoice. I thought I was getting a great deal, but now I'm not so sure? Good luck with your new CRV!
    PS: My passenger side wiper arm is also a bit higher than the one on the drivers side!
  • varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    bpb30 - The leather in the SE isn't leather at all. The seats are plastic with leather trim. The leather trim is basically two strips that run along the sides of the seat cushion (the bolsters), but the rest is "pleather". It's not a bad immitation, but if you want the real stuff, you have to go aftermarket.

Read back through this thread and you can find information and pics of the aftermarket seats that I had installed (with heat) for about $1K. IMHO, it's a much better deal.

Regarding the wiper arm; this is normal. My wife's Acura also has the arms cocked at a different angle. However, her's is actually a problem. The passenger side wiper arm rests under the trailing edge of the hood (lower than the driver's). This means that you can't lift it while doing things like washing the windshield.
    i have read here about the road noise produced by the cr-v. i admit it does make lots of noise when driving 70 -- 80 mph with the windows down, but as soon as i close the windows it is much quieter than my civic EX was with the windows up. also, someone mentioned that the car had difficulty driving at 70 mph. i don't know what they drove, i had no problems driving and keeping it at 80 mph. i can't wait until i break it in so i can really open her up, hello redline!!

question, the engine looks very much like the engine they used on the 88 prelude, same block and same head, i suspect that bore and stroke is the same, does anyone know if it is the same engine?
    Indiglo gauges, i e-mailed a few retailers on e-bay selling indiglo's for civic's, they all said that no one makes indiglo's for cr-v. to me the gauge cluster looks exactly the same as the 99 civic's, i don't nesceserraly want the indiglo, so if i find a junk civic with gauges i will try them on. at least the glow white at night.
    The current CR-V block is derived from the 1.8 Integra block. But with everything being Honda, there is a family resemblance.
    Dudka - Beatfarmer is correct. The CR-V's B20 block is a derivitive of the B18 used in the Integra. At least one CR-V owner has used parts of the Integra GS-R's intake hardware to get some more high revving power from their CR-V.

You can use Civic gauge clusters for the CR-V. A fella in MD used some for his outrageous green and yellow custom rig. I'll post links.
    Here's one with the GS-R head set up. Note: there are many other mods as well.

http://www.ptcruiserusa.com/hondasuv/crvix/gallery/kitty_chan/gallery_kittychan.htm

This one has the indiglo gauges.

http://www.ptcruiserusa.com/hondasuv/crvix/cotm/cotm_may01/cotm_david_t.htm

Pesonally, I don't recommend this partcular color scheme, but to each his own. This one certainly gets people's attention.

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    OMG, look at the tires on that green CR-V. Why? Why? 1" clearance with the mudflaps? I can see them catching a pothole and ripping off completely! ;-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Aww c'mon Drew. I know you're looking for the part number on that spoiler. :-)
    Wow, those lowered CR-Vs look like...well, they look like my Forester! LOL! :-)

Kitty? More like Tiger! Did you see the size of that intercooler?

And she didn't just change the shocks - those are Tein Coilovers - sweet! They make some for the Miata that are height adjustable, which would be perfect for an SUV. Can you imagine being able to dial in 4-8" of ground clearance?

That wing is just too much. I couldn't stop cracking up. OK, get a hold of yourself, juice.

-juice
    Kittie's CR-V is a fine piece of tuning. Real mods, real performance.

As for the other one...
    The wing, don't get me started. How about the "dual" exhaust? Why stop there, go for one tip for each cylinder.

Kids...
    Agree 100%. Kitty went with real performance enhancements.

The other guy said he is going to DISABLE the AWD, so I guess that rear wing will be providing down force to wheels that aren't even being driven! DOH!

OK, he's 17, I'll cut him some slack...

-juice
  • toddmichtoddmich Member Posts: 8
    Just an FYI- I was one of the many who bought the 1997 CRV-EX when they first came out and it has been a wonderful car. It just past 50,000 miles with just oil changes and scheduled maintenance. My only complaint is that it sometimes lacks power especially in the mountains but as someone mentioned they have improved HP along with many interior upgrades. On the positive side, it has been great in the snow. I highly recommend this car!
  • dvader1dvader1 Member Posts: 3
    For those of you interested I just helped my mother purchase a CR-V. Here what I got:
    2001 Honda CR-V 4WD Automatic

Paid: $18772. (For the car - 100 over invoice)
    $105 (Carmats he wouldn't throw them in
    (He threw in wheel locks though)
    Plus Tax, title,License and Doc fee.

Dealer refused to match prices for keyless entry off of HandAaccessories website. So I ordered them this morning. Other than paying for the carmats, the dealer was very upfront and did not try and mess around with the prices at all. The experience was much better than I thought it was going to be. Hope I got a decent price. I live in the south suburbs of Chicago. Thanks everybody for all the help!
    Why didn't you just order the mats online and save $35? Otherwise, sounds pretty good.
    in her cr-v she actually used the civic cluster, rather than replacing the gauge faces. to me they look identical, but i am not too sure i want to spend $40 just to find out they don't fit, maybe later, once i recover from the $5000 downpayment i had to put on this cr-v. i would love to get the turbo, or supercharger but without the body mods. just to get the pep i am used to from a hond aproduct. i live in the bronx and the reason i traded in my civic is because car thieves kept breaking into my car. i am just hoping that since cr-v is not as fast as the civic was, they would leave it alone. yes i park in the garage in my building, but the garage door is not a deterrent for a thief. i am thinking of getting the alarm and siren from www.handa-accessories.com and they would throw in wheel locks for $15 if order over $200. from the website it looks like this alarm has glass sensor, but does it have shock sensor? i ordered my alarm for the civic from www.hparts.com back in 1999, and it did not have shock sensor nor the glass sensor.

so far we are loving this car, except for the pick up on the highway. pick up from stand still is good, i think honda did some tricks with the tranny, the first seems to be a very low gear (get alot of pick up from stand still), 3rd and 4th are very tall (almost no pick up at highway speed).
    and by the way i love that i don't have to buy premium gas anymore, although i wish cr-v still had VTEC. i am used to the kick at 5000 rpm :-)
    Speaking of gas... I logged my longest trip this week (mostly highway). Travelling back from upstate NY, I managed 401 miles on a single tank (14.0 gallons). Given that the trip takes me through the rolling hills between MA and NY, this isn't a bad range.
  • davidthompsondavidthompson Member Posts: 36
    Has anyone heard a rollout date or have the list of colors for the 2002 CR-V?

We were about to buy a 2001, but then my wife decided she much prefers the looks of the 2002.

David
  • bobcatbobbobcatbob Member Posts: 187
    How can your wife prefer the looks of the 2002, when no one has seen a photo, colors, specs, features, or pricing of the 2002?
  • davidthompsondavidthompson Member Posts: 36
    Hi, Bobcat. Check out this image posted on VTEC site:

http://www.vtec.net/news/items/650.html

Also, the dealers do have a 2002 color sheet at this point - someone posted a copy to an Odyssey forum I participate in - but I am still looking for the CR-V information. Anyone out there have it?

Best wishes,

David

Sorry David,

That's a fake. It's a current model CR-V with airbrushed sheetmetal. There are a number of fakes out there. This is one of the better fakes and looks to me a bit more realistic.

• bobcatbobbobcatbob Member Posts: 187
    Per usual, hilarious.
  • pitdaddypitdaddy Member Posts: 3
    Hey all. Was just hoping I could get some feedback on a couple of crv topics. Have 2001 crv and expecting child. Anyone have recommendations for car seats that fit well in the middle of the back seat? Also, our crv is getting right around 20 miles a gallon with mostly city driving. Shouldn't we be getting 22 mpg in city? Just wondering if anyone else out there was getting different results.
    Check if you have the LATCH (lower anchors and tethers for children) system. I think 2001s do.

If so, try to find a child seat that uses is. Consumer Reports just tested a few. They cost more but they are easier to install and more secure.

-juice
  • origenxorigenx Member Posts: 13
    What are the pros & cons (if any) between the liquid and paste versions of the same brand of car wax?