Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    No question, Honda has done their usual masterful job here. I think the rear seat setup is superb, and there's "loads" (pun intended!) of room back there.

For the moment, I think the CRV has moved to the head of the class. I'm more curious now than ever, as to what Subaru's response ('03 Forester, due in March) will be.

Bob
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you. Just joking ;-)

Maybe...

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    Are you talking about looks or function?

Yes, looks are subjective, but as to function: both the CRV and Odyessy are leaders in their respective markets. I'm willing to bet that the new CRV—in person—will be very appealing; and the Odyessy, for '02, just got an extra 30 HP and a 5-speed automatic. What's not to like about that?

Bob
  • Options
    ...Do you know something about the new Forester—that we don't??? No fair keeping secrets... ;)

Bob
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Pretty sure they don't come out. They are just like the middle row bench of the first gen odyssey - which also did not come out.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    I really don't see the need for the seats to be removed anyway. If you needed that much space for something that's obviously very large, the CR-V might not be able to even carry it in the first place.

Looking at the blow up picture of the cargo area, and noticeably the humps where the wheel wells intrude into passenger space, I noticed that the seats are narrower than the spacing between the two humps. So varmit, I think the feature that allows the seats to fold into a bed is still there.

One more month and we can finally see what all this commotion is finally about...
  • Options
    kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    There's a Dent Wizard here in town, so I'll give them a try!

Since I'm not completely sold on the '02 'V, I have to keep my '99 model looking good for a bit longer! :-)
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    ______________ 2002 2001
    Wheelbase______103.1 103.2
    front track_______60.35 60.4
    rear track_______60.55 60.4
    height__________66.2 65.9

2002 height includes roofrail.

Judging from those numbers, new CRV actually shrunk a bit. Yes, I know overall length and width incrased by 1 inch. Just that the basic machine, the skeleton of it , did not.

The rear seats ARE removable, answer is in your tool box. ;-)

I want a removable seat because I like to camp in it and carry building material for the house.
  • Options
    c3po33c3po33 Member Posts: 67
    This was probably already put on this site, but here is a good link to the new 2002 cr-v.

http://hondabeat.com/news/crv02.cfm

• Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    varmit re post #2429:
    MotorWeek just did a review of the '01 RAV4, and they list the ground clearance as 7.5 inches; I know edmunds lists it at 6.7, as you wrote. I wonder which is correct.

[I put a link to the MW review over on the RAV4 board.]
    ejp
  • Options
    varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    SUVshopper - Hmmm... I wonder if it depends on which tires you're riding on?
  • Options
    Scname - I suspect that the seats lock into that upright position when tumbled forward. The loop you see is most likely a release mechanism. It's too small to be a handle (it would dig into your fingers). You probably have to pull it to unlock the seats, then fold them back down.

I like the separate cushion and seat back design of the current CR-V, but it looks like the new model has a completely flat floor. The fact that it is lower than the 1st gen probably prevents the use of the original design. However it allows for a taller/larger cargo area.

Diploid - It looks like this is as far back as the rear seats will go. Someone else noted that it looks more like a lounge feature than a bed. :-)

http://osx.wieck.com/pv/HON/2001/09/01/HON2001090149801_pv.jpg

• Options
    7.1 inch for 2 wheel drive

7.5 inch for 4 wd but only (7.1 inch with P235 60R16 tires)

I think you get the smaller number with Aluminum wheels and wheelwell moldings. Standard steel use P215 70R16.
  • Options
    odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    We've determined that the seats still fold. That's great. The big question, however, is whether the picnic table survives?

Does any one know what improvements have been made to this important feature?

Has anyone ever actually used their table (for its intended purpose or otherwise)?
  • Options
    In fact, it's a bit larger than before. Here's the link: Note- there are 20 pages of photos here; just go page-by-page until you find the photo.

http://hondanews.com/forms/honda/crv/index_images.html

Bob
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    yes, the table survives....they say it's even bigger than 1st gen.

Juice....since i'm somewhat "underwhelmed" by the new CR-V (i'm not writing it off....have to see & drive in the flesh first) i may hold off for the new forester as i hear it's coming in march 2002.
    any teaser pix or info yet? my wish list would be more back seat room, raised driving position (my wife won't consider it at it's present height) and a price more in line with all that competition out there (rav's, triscape, liberty run from 23k base to 32k loaded, leather, the works, cr-v is 26+ to 29+ whereas foresters go from 27k (manual, no air) to 36k+ (forester s ltd.) most vehicles in the class can be well equipped for about 28K whereas forester compares at 31-32k, so it's somewhat overpriced.(these are $cdn, by the way)
    michael
  • Options
    qdiscqdisc Member Posts: 29
    So, now I see the pictures, rumored specs, etc. Not getting me terribly jump-up-and-down excited. And I'm starting to think about paying an extra $3-5k and getting the Freelander instead.

Am I nuts? Are Rover's reliable? Please, tell me if I'm being foolish here.

thx

Q
  • Options
    joesteinjoestein Member Posts: 23
    The bumpers on the new Cr-v are UGLY! Especially the front, where they go up between the grill and headlights. Do you think they will offer a body-colored bumper as an option?
  • Options
    artdecho, post #2470: Are you sure about those prices? A loaded RAV for $32K Canadian (your high number) is, what, $20,645 US (using 1.55 for conversion - is this accurate?). You can't touch a 4wd RAV L in the US for anywhere near that price; MAYBE a RAV with QO package, auto trans OR 4wd, and little else.

Whatever the conversion rate, Forester prices here in the US are low compared to the competition, especially when you factor in all the standard equipment Subaru includes. Plus the dealers here will deal them at close to invoice price.
  • Options
    SUVshopper4....actual list prices don't reflect the true exchange rate....it's more like 1.36 or so which makes it seem like us Canadians are getting a break, however, when you add in all our taxes (15% sales tax, gas tax, tire tax etc) our actual transaction prices are probably higher than yours. Rav 4 loaded may be higher than 32K; I know the price goes up pretty quickly when you start adding all Toyota's option packages. as for cr-v vs. forester, a base forester L (5 speed, no air) is $27,095 vs. $26,300 for a cr-v lx-awd.
    add $1000 for an automatic. A forester 'S' which includes air (but still 5 spd.....add a grand for auto) is $31,800 compared to a cr-v EX with auto/air etc for $28,300. Top of the line Forster "S" Ltd.(with leather) is $35,200/$36,200 whereas a CR-V LE (your SE?) which includes leather and part-painted bumpers is $29,800. Well-equiped Triscapes with V6, auto, air
    etc. go for 28 and change....loaded with leather, they're about 32K.
  • Options
    artdecho: Expedia.com just showed the Canadian/US dollar at a conversion rate of 1.54 Canadian = 1.00 US.

Still, I am surprised that the Forester is priced so close to the competition up there.

And again, Subaru dealers down here seem willing to go low under MSRP, down around invoice price.
  • Options
    odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    Artdecho is right -- you can't apply exchange rates to compare Canadian-US MSRPs (that's why so many Cdns get frustrated trying to use all the US dealer invoice costs in negotiations).

Canada's leading auto industry analyst, Dennis DesRosiers, wrote a good article on this topic. He says that Compact Sport Utilities are about 10% cheaper in Canada than they are in the US. This also translates into the used market. Used '98 Honda Odysseys (which I'm looking for right now) go for $CAN19,000. A quick search of some American sites show that south of the border, they are going for $US19,000! No wonder it's hard to find good used cars here -- the arbitrage opportunities are just too great.

As Artdecho points out, Canada is a much more brutal marketplace -- our after-tax disposable incomes are quite pathetic compared to Americans'.

Take a look at Dennis' article if you are interested.

http://www.desrosiers.ca/20005/2000-5.pdf

• Options
    SUVshopper4.....haven't tried to buy a sube yet but wouldn't be surprised if they're willing to deal, so maybe "as sold" prices are a little closer.
    odman....thx for backing me up....i like the "old" odyssey better than the new one too...just the right size, as far as i'm concerned....new one is too big & thirsty.
    check out the honda stream on Honda's Japanese and UK sites.....too bad they will not likely bring them over here...a loaded 7 passenger Stream for about 25K (150hp, 5 speed sport-shift automatic, 40mpg hwy) would suit me just fine.
  • Options
    Juice is on vacation. He'll be back next week, and report back on how his Forester out-ran sharks at the water's edge of NC's Outer Banks.

Bob
  • Options
    Juice took a vacation from this place? =)
  • Options
    Gdisc - The Freelander is a nice truck, but it's a completely different animal. It's got much more off-road ability and much less passenger and cargo space. The two don't realy compete. If you're interested in that type of vehicle, take a look at the Liberty. IMHO, it's more practical and just as capable.
  • Options
  • Options
    wellresearchedwellresearched Member Posts: 63
    As I non-member, I have been reading this column for about a year. I test drove a CRV last fall and REALLY liked it;however having always driven used cars, I find 20K scary. I was NOT comfortable in the driver's seat and read (thanks to this board) that a new model would be coming out. Now its out and I'm a member. Can't wait to test drive it and start serious negotiations! Today I read something that "concerned" me. It was a reference to "saddle" colored interior. My translation tan/brown. Please let that be an option and not the standard interior!!!! Does anyone out there know if the grey interior will also be available on the "02 ????
  • Options
    with certain colors like silver. No grey mentioned anywhere. I have a silver/black Toyota now, its a good combo. I didn't like black interior initially but its my number one choice now. Very easy on the eye, easy to keep clean.
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    According to the information at http://www.hondanews.com, here are the following color combinations (exterior/interior)

Chianti Red/Saddle

Clover Green Pearl/Saddle

Taffeta White/Saddle

Mojave Mist Metallic/Saddle

Eternal Blue Pearl/Black

Satin Silver Metallic/Black

Nighthawk Black Pearl/Black

• Options
    Well, 4 reviews of the new CR-V so far...you'd think that at least one of them would give us a hint as to what the "surprise" will be.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, the Honda America website talks about not ruining a "surprise" for the new CR-V by giving out too much information.
  • Options
    I think is it doesn't have a rear wiper. I assumed it'b be between glass and spare. But can see no trace of it.

Or they might bring in the Fullmark with VSA and fog lights, etc.
  • Options
    pearlbluesoulpearlbluesoul Member Posts: 30
    One of the reviews mentioned heated leather seats would be available along with the moonroof on the top of the line model. Its odd that leather seats aren't listed on the Honda site as an option.

Were any pics of the leather seats published? The patterns on the cloth seats pictured have to be some of the worst I've ever seen!
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    The information at http://www.hondanews.com lists a "Intermittent Rear Window Wiper/Washer" as being standard on all models.

It appears on this image to be behind the spare tire.

http://osx.wieck.com/pv/HON/2001/09/01/HON2001090150720_pv.jpg

• Options
    wellresearchedwellresearched Member Posts: 63
    After all of my waiting (and of course researching) I can't believe that my two first choices (Chianti,,then Green) will have the "saddle" interior!!! The black interior was perfect! I just don't like tan. I am bummed. It was so close to perfect! Hmmmm.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Is the leather interior (with heated seats) a Canadian market exclusive?
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Now that it appears the 2002 CR-V is not a clear home run, it puts a new wrinkle into my car-buying decision because for similar money to the CR-V EX, I can get a 2002 Accord V6 SE (4-door)with moonroof, single CD + cassette, traction control, 8-way power and heated driver seat, side airbags, keyless entry/security & alloys, to name but a few of the key standard features. I know they are 2 different types of vehicle, but you can't help but look across at the other models in the same showroom. Any comment on this apparent dilemma?

(My reference is to the Canadian market, of course. I'm not sure if the Accord V6 SE is available in the US)
  • Options
    Canadiancl - Yep. It's only an option in Canada, for now. I suspect that in two years, they'll revive the SE model and bring back the painted bumpers and leather interior.

Diploid - I think you're taking the "surprize" a bit too literally. Unless Honda was serious about knocking three seconds off the 0-60 times, there is nothing left to be surprized about. There was mention in one rumor-mill about a modified RT4WD system, but the new specs describe the same old pump/clutch set up.

Wellresearched - I guess you have been around for a while. :-) Welcome to the forum. I say stick with the Chianti Red. The blue, black, and silver are too common nowadays.
  • Options
    tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    Is the new CRV going to be available in 2WD.What about pricing?If they want to steal Toyota RAV4
    thunder they better offer the flexibility of
    Toyota.Personally I like the utility of SUV but fun factor of a sports car.The Tribute would be good but 16MPG is not.
  • Options
    ......and yet another review!

http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/02cr-v.htm

of course, Edmunds has their own review now too.

(from almost no info to info overload!!!)

• Options
    utopiautopia Member Posts: 24
    Hmmm...one thing that is missing from my wish list for the new CR-V is a power driver's seat. I hate that knob adjustment -- what a pain! But, I am sooo glad that you don't have to remove the headrests (& figure out what the heck to do with them) to fold the seats forward; AND that you can open the tailgate without having to pop the glass first. I'm also glad they kept driver's side opening -- it's more convenient than having to go to opposite side of vehicle (given that we don't get a lift tailgate, that is). Can't wait to drive one to see if the automatic can REALLY easily find its appropriate gear between 45-60 mph :)
  • Options
    Wow look at the blue CR-V from the CanadianDriver.com road test. If I'm buying a new CR-V, it's definitely going to be blue.
  • Options
    That Detroit review was interesting. I like the idea of bringing some of the target audience along for the ride. It was kinda funny to read their conflicting opinions.

I have to wonder what was up with his comments about the current model being cramped. What's he comparing it to? An Explorer? Have they sat in a RAV4, Forester, or Kia? Not even the Escape has a significant advantage in interior room. Kind of an odd comment, that's all.

Tomsr - There is a 2wd LX model available (only as an automatic). Looks like it has ABS in Canada, but not n the states.
  • Options
    There are no front-wheel-drive models available in Canada....LX, EX, and EX-Leather are all Real-Time-4WD. The Canadian Auto Review site
    www.canadianautoreview.com says that the EX-Leather has body-colour bumpers, so maybe it looks like the JDM Fullmark......too bad you have to buy the top-of-the-line to get rid of the ugly black cladding.
  • Options
    I'm basing this on my (often faulty) memory, but I seem to recall the teaser pics showing a white bumper with a black lower grill. So I think that the painted bumpers have the same paint scheme as the original SE (or LE) models. The Fullmark has bumpers that are completely covered.

At least our Canadian friends get the option of painted bumpers and leather seats. Here in the US, we may not see the return of the SE for a few years.

Spare tire news. I've lost 30 lbs! No, that's not it. Our friendly CR-V Engineer over at the CR-V IX has confirmed what I've always suspected. The Fullmark's spare tire is a donut. It has the same diameter of the stock tires, but it is thinner to accomodate the space under the table. Moving the US spare below the table would require finding a donut the proper size. :-(
  • Options
    I would rather have the option of removing the rear spare and sacrificing cargo space by putting it inside (like the Jeep Cherokee). I personally don't need all that space,but if I did, I would probably tie the spare to the roof rack on top. That's what they do down under and I have no problem with that. When the Xterra came out, I thought the tire was hidden in the extra height of the back.

varmit- it looks as if even the fullmark version's bumper won't be all covered. The top portions are body colored, leaving the lower portion with all black, like in the current model.
  • Options
    vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    Noted a couple of cold weather items the Canadians are getting that apparently are not coming to the states. Heated outside mirrors and outside temperature gauge. Nice things to have for cold New England winters.
  • Options
    Diploid - You could always mount it to the hood, like the old Discos or Landcruisers. ;-)

Vonnyvonce - Yeah, I'll need to have a word with our Canadian neighbors. They're hoarding all the good stuff. :-)