Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    elight50elight50 Member Posts: 26
    If the picnic table is larger in the 2002 model, is the fishtank larger, too? If so, will it accommodate the full size spare?

Still curious about the Canadian bumper and what the technical differences are between the yankee version. Can't say I understand why Honda would want to have 2 inventories for North America.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    I remember Drew had a posting that answered your question- something involving Canadians and their stricter laws. Although I don't understand why Honda makes bumpers that can pass 5mph bumper tests in Canada, and not bring them over here, even though our law requires only 2.5 mph.

Good question about the fishtank- yeah, it would make sense that if the table was larger, the fishtank would be, too. Maybe we can swap the table for a full sized spare in the Fullmark editions, instead of the donut.
  • Options
    vonnyvoncevonnyvonce Member Posts: 129
    Noted on Hondanews that final drive ratio is higher in the 2002. Not sure how this works but does that mean higher rpms. What might rpms be at say 60 mph.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Nah, I'm not qualified to do any aerodynamic qualifications :-). IIRC from the media source though, the drag co-efficient of the '97-'01 CR-V is 0.45. To give you some basis of comparison, it is the same as the '93-'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. An example of an SUV with the lowest drag co-efficient (for an SUV) would be the BMW X5, at 0.36. IIRC also, drag co-efficient is not linear. I'll see if I can dig up the '02 CR-V's.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Light trucks and SUVs in Canada, like in the US, are not required to meet any bumper standards. Only cars are required to meet the 5 mph (8km/hr) bumper standard over here.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    The larger table indicates the possibility for a wider and longer table top. However, as noted before, the problem is depth.

The CR-V is crash tested for safety with the spare mounted on the back. The JDM Fullmark does not need to meet the same safety requirements that the North American version must meet. Therefore, Honda can remove the spare without having to retest the car. It might not be the safest thing to do. We know that the CR-V meets federal safety regs with the spare in place. We don't know if it would pass without one.

Also, a test that measures the bumper's ability to absorb impact forces may not be conducted at the height of the spare tire. So the current CR-V's bumpers could earn a passing grade if crashed into a barrier at bumper height, but fail the IIHS bumper bash, which tests with a tall barrier.
  • Options
    varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Vonnyvonce - It looks like the 2002 5 speed will rev at about the same speed as the 96-01 automatic. The new auto will rev somewhat lower than before.
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    what about the spares we had back in the seventies. those were collapsed while in storage and when you needed it you would blow it up from a can. that one would fit in the fish tub. by the way, i found a good use of the tub, i will post the pictures on CRVIX later today when i am done doing what i started over labor day and din't finish. let me just say, i think the tub it self would make a good sound reflecting enclosure for two very large woofers.
  • Options
    i just finished putting the subwoofer in the "tub" I wanted to post pictures here, but for some reason i can not get them on here. i hotsted them on geocities and wonder if geocities doesn't let you link up to the files

i have made a website where you can see the work. it is also posted on CRVIX as well.

www.blueiedgod.com/crv
  • Options
    h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Hi. Does anyone know if there is a no haggle Honda dealer in the Sioux Falls SD, or Sioux City IA area? Or better, anyone know if there is a site where you can search no haggle dealers by make? Thanks!
  • Options
    Are you serious? There are several websites that will have local dealers contact you, and you can state in your e-mail correspondances that you want a no haggle experience.

Edmunds.com
    autosite.com
    cars.com (but I think that's owned by Edmunds, now)
    autobytel.com
    autoweb.com

Just to name a few...
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    As much as we like Tom & Ray (aka Click 'n Clack), Edmunds doesn't own cars.com. Or maybe you know something we don't :-)?

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    I thought I read somewhere that Edmunds was being like Ford and buying every other car site on the internet.

But obviously I'm wrong.
  • Options
    rver2rver2 Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know if the 2002 CRV will be towable behind a motorhome? Motorhome magazine has not yet published anything about the 2002 model and the engine has changed for 2002.
  • Options
    Well, I think you're wrong this week. Next week, who knows :-). I'm always the last to know around here anyway <g>.

I don't think we could get away with this appellation for the CR-V like Tom and Ray can either (please direct your rebuttal comments to their site, thank you).

Steve
    Host

• Options
    The Subarus took 1st & 2nd place.

You'd think the redesigned RAV4 would've made the list...
  • Options
    wellresearchedwellresearched Member Posts: 63
    I tried that last year. The experience was disappointingly predictable.

I was contacted and offered a car at a totally uncompetitive price (I new what the vehicle was worth because I read Edmunds). When I told the salesman that his offer couldn't be serious, he replied that I should "shop around" (there are 5 dealers within a 25 minute drive) and he would beat the lowest price offered.

That wasn't no haggle, that was a waste of time.
  • Options
    sacherelsacherel Member Posts: 12
    Hi,

I just got a 2001 CR-V, and wanted advice on what the best way to add a CD Changer to the current factory stereo. Does anyone have any ideas on how this can be done and how expensive it would be?
    Thank you in advance.

Erik
  • Options
    abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    I test drove a 99 EX 5 speed 4x4 today and the CRV made a loud noise when I tried to spin all 4 wheels on dirt. Only the front wheels would spin and the CRV made a loud squeal every time, like I was slipping a clutch. The noise sounded like it was from the rear diff. Is this normal? I did not think I would not be able to spin the front tires with "real time 4wd".

It did not have an arm rest either! I wanted to like this SUV but it did not have enough power and the engine was working a lot at 75 mph. The ride was very good for a small SUV but I could hear the tires on course blacktop.

Is there any other small SUVs with 4wd that have power, quite, and under 20k? I currently have Chev Blazer and want something that gets better mileage (I get 18 mpg) and is higher quality. I am having a hard time saying good bye to that 4.3 V-6!
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    Honda sells a CD changer that mounts under the drivers seat, although it's fairly expensive at over $400 when you add the cost of the mounting kit. And that doesn't include installation.

There are other aftermarket CD changers that will also work with the Honda stereo, although you need to make sure you get the correct cable and might still have to pay for a mounting kit and installation.

Crutchfield.com lists a "USA SPEC SCD-A88" that's listed as fitting all 1999 and up Hondas (except the Passport) for $299.95. It looks like it comes with the correct cable and mounting kit for that price.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with. :)
  • Options
    Sounds like it needed to have the rear differential fluid changed. There have been some reported noise problems that are fixed by changing the fluid. It is possible to spin the tires, I can easily do it in my '99 5spd EX. The 4wd system is not a "full-time" system. It's designed to automatically transfer power to the rear wheels when the front wheels spin. It takes a moment of time for the rear wheels to start getting power...and if there were a problem with the rear differential they wouldn't get power.

None of the 5spd CR-Vs come with a driver's armrest. The passenger armrest is a cheap addition, at about $40 + 30 minutes of time to install, because Honda includes the mounting bracket in the passenger (right hand) seat.

There is a company that sells a driver's side armrest that matches the Honda cloth interior for about $100. But since Honda doesn't include the bracket on the driver's seat it takes longer to install. Basically you have to disassemble part of the seat back to install a mounting bracket, then install the armrest. http://www.jjproducts.net

You might think about waiting a couple of months for the 2002 CR-V. A tad bit bigger, about 10%more power, with about the same fuel mileage. I don't trust the mileage figures. I believe the rating for my '99 is 22/25, but I'm averaging 24+ around town with 28+ on the highway. But then I'm a conversative driver. Look here for information (and lots of pictures) of the 2002 CR-V: http://www.hondanews.com/forms/honda/crv/index.html

I believe you're going to be disappointed if you think you'll be able to find a small SUV that has the power of your Blazer with good fuel economy. Big engines on boxy vehicles don't result in high fuel mileage. JM2C

• Options
    amadeus131amadeus131 Member Posts: 43
    Funny, I'm in the same situation as abc246. I have a '99 2-door Blazer that will hit that 60k mile area sooner than I thought it would. I like everything about it except the mileage, the turning radius, and the visibility. I am definitely waiting for the '02 CR-V to come out, plus several months most likely to see if they start being discounted. I've never bought anything other than a GM before; neither in fact have some of my relatives. But if I had to buy based on specs alone, without a test drive, the CR-V seems to be the winner so far, with the Hyundai Santa Fe in 2nd place (you might want to check this one out, abc246, if you haven't already), and the Tracker in 3rd place. The Escape is sharp looking but I hear more scare stories than for the Trackers! I guess all bets are off until I take them out for a test drive anyway.

Speaking of the specs, one thing that shocked me is that the Santa Fe and the CR-V both turn out to be marginally LONGER than my 2-door Blazer! (But we are talking about an inch or so here.) Both do seem to be lighter vehicles though.

Thanks to all for their many thoughts; they are always helpful! :)
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Hi. Does anyone know if there is a no haggle Honda dealer in the Sioux Falls SD, or Sioux City IA area? Or better, anyone know if there is a site where you can search no haggle dealers by make? Thanks!

You are very close to Mark Roberts Honda in N. Oklahoma. They are $316 over invoice all the time (ie big discount on new 2002's). check out web site www.autoinvoice.com
    1-800-375-less. I live near them have sent many there as far as Boston-no joke. They specialize in out of state buyers and will treat you with respect. $500 deposit at order and $49 doc fee.
    Recommend John Page tell him INKY sent you. I plug these guys due to other HOnda dealers nasty practices and they treat me well
    INKY
  • Options
    i don't think you will be truely happy after you have switched from big displacement chevy engines to small displacement honda or toyota engines. first of all, you have to rev it. and trust me when i first switched from a chevy to a honda, i had hard time believeing that 6000 rpm is healthy for an engine. your best bet would be the 2002 cr-v, since it will have most of its torque low enough in the rpm band that you will not have to rev it to the redline. the reason cr-v is longer and still lighter is because it has no frame. it is a unibody design as opposed to frame on body in the blazer.
  • Options
    i would suggest an in-dash 6 disc changer from numerous honda accessories stores. you can snatch one for about $300, but you would have to install it yourself, or pay someone to install it. with in-dash you don't have to worry about the wires and don't have to get out of the car to access the changer to change the discs.
  • Options
    abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    I have owned 2 Toyotas, 1 Honda (92 Accord), 1 Nissan (98 Frontier) and lots of GMs. I have driven many older Hondas and think Honda is running down the same road GM did a few years ago. They are trying to cut costs and the cars show in some areas.

I test drove a 01 Civic EX 2Dr, another car I wanted to like. Above 4000 rpms the engine sounded like a GM 4 cyl. The sales person said, oh that is the VTEC boom! It is not even a good sounding noise. Next was the front suspension. It just not have that Honda feel, very much GM like and you could hear the bumps. I think the new CRV will be the same thing since it is based on the Civic.

The Accord still has that Honda feel, but I wanted a 4 wheel drive SUV. I guess I will just keep that Blazer that is heading for 60k.
  • Options
    utopiautopia Member Posts: 24
    Inky, I have a question about Mark Roberts Honda. (I e-mailed them, by the way, & they were very prompt to reply & professional -- how refreshing!) Anyway, forgot to ask this & just want to make sure we are comparing apples to apples: When you say $316 over invoice + the $49 doc fee, are you referencing the invoice amounts provided via Edmunds, Consumer Reports, etc.? Thanks...
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Yes. It works out very close to $316 over true invoice. You can check this out by looking at 2001 CRVS posted on the web site www.autoinvoice.com Here the selling price is clearly shown. I am not sure if exactly to the dollar like Edmunds but extremely close. You can check for yourself. I was lucky enough to buy a 1999 Odyssey from them in 1998 for $316 over invoice--they do pure MSRP on Odyssey now and $316 on CRV, Civic, and Accord, Prelude and Passport. I have sent many coworkers and friends over there and as good consumers they always doubt the real deal there. What does happen is they quickly sell the entire allocation for hot Hondas (like 02 CRV maybe?) once word gets around. I will admit to you they give me $50 if you buy one from my salesman John Page. It does not change your price-everyone pays the same. But I am clearly not endorsing them purely out of the goodness of my own heart! But with no hassle on spending hours dickering to $1,000 over invoice many take the trip. Check out their airport shuttle on the web site.
    INKY
  • Options
    tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    To the Edmunds "First Look" at the 2002 CRV, it seems to have disappeared....
  • Options
    zorglubzorglub Member Posts: 79
    I figured that might be of interest to people like me who are looking for a small SUV. Nissan is coming out in Europe (don't know about the US) with a cool mini SUV. I found a video on a French web site where they tried out the diesel version. Anyway, they basically loved it, and said it was 6 inches longer than a CRV so that you have an idea.

Here is the link:

http://www.turbo.fr/magazine_essais_auto_deux.shtml

• Options
    elight50elight50 Member Posts: 26
    The no haggle deal sounds good for both parties. The consumer appears to save money, depending on the air fare. If I'm a dealer, the prospect of selling cars to people who will never come back and whine at me sounds like a good deal, too. Has anyone using the OK dealer had a problem with a vehicle that their local dealer wouldn't rectify? Just curious.
  • Options
    The First Drive: 2002 Honda CR-V link from the Additonal Resources box in the left navigation sidebar is working for me. Was there a First Look article too?

Steve
    Host

• Options
    h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    I was hoping there was a no haggle dealer near here, Ok is too far. Internet has too many problems, like the ones described above. Anyone know if there is a site dedicated to invoice dealers, where you can search by make, or location or something? Thanks.
  • Options
    tatu1tatu1 Member Posts: 50
    Found it.
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Yeah, the X-trail IS really cool! Don't know what it would take to convince Nissan to bring it over here but they really need it....they currently have ZERO car-based SUV's in their line-up. Not to take anytthing away from the X-terra or Pathfinder but they're both trucks, with truck-like ride & handling and truck-like gas mileage.(Also expensive......$30,000+ CDN)
    The X-trail is car-based,less than 3000 pounds, longer than a cr-v, get's about the best gas mileage in the class....has a 150-155 hp four,
    operates in 2wd, 4wd-auto and 4wd-lock, has a washable floor in the cargo area, cool "can" coolers in the dash (don't know about the central instruments but guess i could live with it). Nice looking rig + proper liftgate WITH NO SPARE HANGING ON THE BACK! Also reasonably priced!! If Nissan brings it over (Canada too, please), I'll be first in line.
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Is that gray interior it ?
  • Options
    Gray with vinyl or pleather side bolsterings, which I actually think is nice (I personally don't like leather).

Check out their picture gallery- nice closeup of the dashboard, deep glove compartment has slots in it, very functional gauge clusters, and a picture of the picnic table.
  • Options
    From a post on the CR-Vix message boards:

http://newcrv.honda.com

It does require registration. It also appears to have replaced the previous Honda CR-V "preview" site (that was at http://www.honda2001.com/cr-v/index.html).

• Options
    Pic of the Eternal Blue CR-V seems to have body colored door handles. It looks nice, you can almost forgive the black cladding.
  • Options
    zorglubzorglub Member Posts: 79
    Well, I know this is the CRV forum, but I believe news of the X Trail are relevant since this car/SUV is in the same segment.

Anyway, I wrote to Nissan to find out if they would import it in the US, and here is the answer:
    "Thank you for contacting Nissan North America, Inc. and allowing us the
    opportunity to be of assistance.

Nissan is not marketing the X-Trail in the United States. This vehicle
    needs
    a great deal of modifications to pass U.S. industry specifications on
    safety
    and emission standards.

Please contact your nearest Nissan dealer or contact a gray market
    retailer
    nearest you. For additional information on the importation of gray
    market
    vehicles, you can contact either the Environment Protection Agency
    (EPA) or
    National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):

EPA (202) 382-2504
    NHTSA (202) 366-9550

Nissan does not recommend importing gray market vehicles due to time
    and
    cost factors.

If you have any further questions or comments, please feel free to
    us.

Sincerely,

Loris Gipson
    National Consumer Affairs"

Basically, it does not look good. So, I guess it's back to the CR-V.
  • Options
    For the US market, it really does not need another SUV. Most of the time, customers cross shop the CR-V with the Xterra because of price.
  • Options
    vnguyen16vnguyen16 Member Posts: 10
    I think lots of people (including me) who love Nissan engine but will buy CR-V because Nissan doesn't have car base SUV
  • Options
    toyota has many suv's in their lineup...i don't think the highlander is hurting four-runner sales as one is car-based and one is truck-based and they appeal to different consumers. i don't think many people cross-shop the xterra with the cr-v
    for the same reason. the xterra is based on nissan's pickup, it's heavy, inefficient, has a truck-like ride, primitive part-time 4WD etc.
    Only the v6-4wd model is available here and it's priced more than the top-of the line cr-v (se with leather etc.) the xtrail is car-based, efficient, less expensive and a more legitimate competitor for the cr-v. i guess if nissan wants to ignore the car-based suv market, that's their problem (too bad more and more consummers are embracing it)
  • Options
    The Highlander is hurting 4Runner's sales. Dealers are giving heavy discounts on 4Runners, while the Highlander has a waiting list.

People used to buy the 4Runners because they wanted a midsized SUV from Toyota, not because they wanted the 11 inches of ground clearance to go boulder hopping. Now that the Highlander is here, the 4Runner is back in its niche market- for those who truly want to go off-road - which is to say, a very small number of people.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    This is a good website to see automotive pictures.
  • Options
    ....all the more reason for Nissan to embrace rather than ignore the car-based suv market.

p.s. our heart-felt sympathy goes out to all Americans and to all freedom-loving and humane people on earth in the aftermath of the terrible tradgedy that has befallen us. our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    I think artdecho speaks for all Canadians everywhere. A mind-numbing act like that transcend national boundaries. We all share in the pain and horror. Watching those poor souls jump from the top floors of the towers has probably scarred me for life. Our children and their children and their children's children will read about that date in their history books.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Hi folks, I'm back from the Outer Banks and fortunately shark-free. I did get to take the Forester on the beach via a 4x4 access ramp, and had a good time. Just aired down to 18psi and drove right through. Pix are here.

I look at the new CR-V with interest because I looked closely at the previous one, more than once. I see a general improvement, nothing dramatic, but you can't blame them since the current CR-V sold well. Here's my list of cons:

* the trailer doesn't come standard after all! ;-)

* rear gate still opens curb side, with exterior spare

* exposed rear hinges, still, cheapen the look

* still primarily FWD

* ugly grille surround (Blue color erases this negative)

* ugly vinyl on seats, with exposed stitching, belong on a Kia

* ABS still only 3-channel (most are 4 channel, even Hyundai)

* rear bumper?

* no roof rack (I use mine regularly) even though it looked built-in

That's a nit-picky list. The pros far outweight them:

* torquey + efficient 4 banger! Subaru is no longer the only one

* rear disc brakes! wow!

* timing chain lowers maintenance costs

* towing now more reasonable at least

* rear seats are brilliant, best feature

* radio set nice and high

* quirks like shifter and hand brake are unique

* moonroof offered, though it's small

* weight kept fairly low

* more content

If they can keep a lid on prices, they have a shot at regaining the sales lead. Right now they are 3rd behind Jeep Liberty and Ford Escape. My guess is they'll end up in 2nd or 3rd in sales.

Even though the overall look is evolutionary, at least they did take some risks. I agree that it looks best in blue.

It will keep Honda competitive, but I'd still like to see a Type R with a more sporting orientation. Maybe a 6 speed manual, VSC, 16" alloys, 20 more horses. It wouldn't take much.

The new model puts pressure on Subaru, so I hope to see the rear suspension from the Outback put in the 2003 Forester, with an inch longer wheelbase, 170hp standard and 200hp optional with a light pressure turbo. That plus incremental improvements.

Don't you love competition?

-juice
  • Options
    Thanks for your heartfelt posts, neighbors.

In the auto news, a review.... '02 CR-V wins over SUV-shy drivers

Steve
    Host