Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2001 - 2006 Honda CR-Vs

Comments

• Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    While you're at it varmit, tell them to bring over tne Acura EL
  • Options
    varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Sorry, the EL is "one of those things that not like the others..."

Acura doesn't need another inexpensive slightly upscale car, it needs a car with all the trimmings and price tag that only the snottiest of buyers would dare to pay. The image of the Acura brand needs to move back to the upscale side of town if it's going to try competing with BMW, Lexus, and others. The change from Integra to RSX was a move in the right direction. Bringing the EL over would just lower the brand image back down a notch.
  • Options
    wellresearchedwellresearched Member Posts: 63
    1. Since it is fairly likely I will purchase a CRV 2002 within its first 6 months out, should I expect a "no haggle" experience? In other words, If I want one , I pay sticker price or they will just sell it to the next in line? 2. I remember reading about a preference for larger tires a while back in this forum. Should I purchase 16 inch tires from the get go?3. although I am certain there is an obvious answer, since I live reasonably close to Canada, why shouldn't I just buy a CRV (with nifty Canada only options ) there?Thanks for your thought on this.
  • Options
    upstateny2upstateny2 Member Posts: 11
    The 2002 CRV sounds great, but with only 43K, I'm going to stay with my 97 a few more years. I do need to replace the tires but I not interested in replacing the originals with Bridgestone again or over sized tires. Looking for a quieter tire.
    Any replacement brands and models that folks are really happy with?
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Interesting thoughts. The ELs are actually really popular over here in Vancouver. In fact, I see more ELs than I see Civics! IMHO, the EL is far more attractive than the Civic, especially the latest version; the Civic's rear lamp arrangement just looks odd to me. The ELs are also probably good stepping stones to break into the company lineup. Many younger folks are driving them (early to late 20's), and by then, they might be interested in the TL or the MDX.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    For more information about tires, check out the Tires, tires, tires discussion topic in the Aftemarket & Accessories message board.
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    1. You'll probably end up paying very close to MSRP...and still may have to wait.

2. You can go larger, but remember that if you go too much largeer the tires will rub. The CR-V is designed for a 15" wheel and tire. You could go with 16" wheels with lower profile tires with a circumference close to the same as the 15".

3. Because the vehicle safety standards are different in Canada then in the US. And to register it in the US you'd have to "bring it up to spec" before you could register it, which could run you more than just adding the nifty options after buying a US model. And there may be import duties (taxes) you'd have to pay, too. If you're still interested look for a vehicle importing service and talk to them about the costs.
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    The CRV will command near MSRP for the first year of production. It was very hot in 1997. If you have a relationship (business) you may get a token $500 discount for ordering now. You sound too far away from Oklahoma to benefit from the $316 over invoice dealer here.
    INKY
  • Options
    Informative post, thanks for sharing with us.

FWIW, Canada's safety standards are actually higher, in many cases, than the US. For example, all Canadian cars must have 8 km/hr (5 mph) bumpers, versus only 2.5 mph for the US. I believe our emissions controls are also as stringent as California's.

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    Wellresearched (may I just call you "Well"?) - :-) I don't think we have enough information to determine if 16" wheels will fit under the '02 CR-V. That's something that someone typically tries and finds out the hard way.
    When I was visiting in Canada, I asked about buying painted bumpers up there because they have sebring silver LE's and we don't. I'm sure the Canadians would love to take your money. :-) If that's what it takes to get what you want, it seems like the smart way to go. You can always buy the car there and convert the gauges when you get it back to the states.

Upstateny - I'm looking into the Goodyear Aquatreads. I'm not quite ready to buy, but I've read positive reviews.

Drew - That's a good point about getting younger people into the showroom. I'm sure that it's true, but the whole Honda lineup has the same effect. Many people go from an Accord to a TL, a Civic SI to an Integra, and so on... Adding the EL might be a good idea in the future, but right now Acura needs to make a name for itself as a true luxury brand and bringing in an inexpensive car isn't going to do that. Quite a few people think that the Integra hurt the Acura image. It should have been a Honda. The more expensive Prelude, OTOH, would have been a great Acura. Once Acura has a respectable RL in the lineup, they can start thinking about future sales. Right now they need to expand upon their luxury image.
  • Options
    Drew -

I'm glad to hear the Canadian standards are higher than ours (US) are. I've only had the opportunity to visit Canada a few times, but I have noticed that the Canadian border guards when you cross from the US into Canada are definitely nicer then the US guards are when you return.

The basic point is still the same. If you buy a vehicle in another country and bring it into the US you must make whatever modifications necessary, no matter what it costs, to qualify the vehicle under the US laws, and also potentially pay import duties.
  • Options
    The basic point is still the same. If you buy a vehicle in another country and bring it into the US you must make whatever modifications necessary, no matter what it costs, to qualify the vehicle under the US laws, and also potentially pay import duties."

Agreed, and vice versa, by the way :-).

Thanks for your reply,

Drew
    Host
  • Options
    Of course. If you buy a vehicle in Country A and try to import it into Country B you'll probably have to deal with import duties (and possibly export duties!) and modifications to make the vehicle meet Country B's laws.

My apologies for such a US centric viewpoint on a globally accesible message board (especially when said message board has non-US hosts ;).

btw: If you buy a vehicle in any other US state and try to register it in California as a "new" vehicle (or within 6 months? not sure of actual time frame) you must pay to have the vehicle exhaust system modified to California standards. After that, bringing a non-California emissions equiped vehicle into California only requires that the vehicle pass the California emissions test. So maybe California really is another country (or maybe just on another planet ;)
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    The fact that the CR-V has a whole lot more competition now than back in '97 may mean dealers may be more willing to deal this time out. Although the 2002 has welcome improvements in power, refinement and room, it doesn't exactly leapfrog the competition. (Add to that the ugly black cladding and the fact that they stuck with the awkward rear-door arrangement). In addition to the new Rav4, the Tribute/Escape and the Santa Fe, there will be the upcoming Saturn VUE and the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe twins to deal with. (I also wish Nissan would bring their car-based X-Trail over here, as they currently have ZERO car-based SUV's in their lineup and this seems to be where the action is these days).
  • Options
    sluglineslugline Member Posts: 391
    CR-V Owners: Events

Be sure to check out the "Additional Resources" box on the left side. In the coming 30 days, CR-V owners in California, Illinois and Texas will be gathering to meet other owners and have some fun with their vehicles. Think of it as the last hurrah for this generation of CR-V before the '02s hit the dealerships. :)
  • Options
    beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    Only time will tell what the pricing picture will be down the road. The fact is the older CR-V has been a sales leader even in the face of "better" vehicles.

The redesigned RAV demanded a premium after it was released, even though it didn't surpass the competition.

This would indicate the new V would do the same.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    it will be some time before you see the new CRV being discounted.

Bob
  • Options
    vnguyen16vnguyen16 Member Posts: 10
    Don't forget Mitsubishi might bring ASX here at the end of the year as Edmund said.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    IMHO, the previous generation EL looked distinctively different (and better) than its Civic counterpart. However, I actually find the current one looks so much like the Civic (especially when viewed from behind) I often mistake one for the other. I also think the EL is a good idea for Acura for the Canadian market but it may not do well in the US as Americans generally prefer big cars, especially when it comes to sedans and SUV's (Just my observation)
  • Options
    odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    I agree with canadiancl that the EL would not do well State-side. (And that the older one looked better than the newer one)

The EL was designed for Canada (it's also exported to Taiwan as the Dumani or something like that) because Canadian Acura dealers were not getting good volumes on the Acura Integra. Our entry luxury market really is more entry level than the US. We lost the 4-door Integra ages ago, and the EL was its replacement.

I know this isn't the EL forum, but we're interested.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Just got my October issue in the mail today, and they've got a blurb and pix to go along with it. A few interesting comments:

• They indicated that USA-bound CRVs will be built in England's Honda plant, and are not coming from Japan.

• They also indicated that a 2.0 turbo (not 2.4) for the CRV is in the works for the future.

Hmmm...

Bob
  • Options
    Bob - There have been many remarks about the next CR-V coming from both the UK and Japan. I do not believe that the Swindon plant alone has the capacity to meet the demand for both the UK and US.

The JDM Spec CR-V gets a 2.0 block. Probably the same as the one found in the Honda Stream, though we haven't been able to confirm it. The need for high mpg and small blocks has probably driven that decision. There have also been rumors of a CR-V Type R or possibly Si. Probably the turbo that Automobile has rumored. This would most likely be for the overseas markets as they are more accepting of turbos over there.
  • Options
    Actually I read somewhere that the CR-V's would initially be built in Japan, and then later switched over to the England plant. I don't remember the source, though.
  • Options
    jvkalrajvkalra Member Posts: 98
    I think Honda really blew it by retaining that tire on the back. To an Accord/Civic sedan driver, having the tire hanging on the back of the CR-V is as absurd as a tire mounted on the trunk lid of an Accord/Civic, to free up extra room in the trunk. Other than the tire, the CR-V is just perfect!

I mention the Accord/Civic sedans, because IMHO, most Honda loyalists get the CR-V because they like the high seating, flexibility, and reliability of the CR-V, not because they want every cubic inch of extra space for cargo hauling. That tire is going to turn off lots of would be CR-V buyers.

As far as deals on the CR-V, I'm guessing about $500 over invoice in Feb/Mar 2002, especially in slumping Silicon Valley. My thinking is that the Matrix/Vibe and Saturn Vue will take away some CR-V demand in those slow months, and Ford might add incentives on the Escape.
  • Options
    jeff328jeff328 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to this discussion board we saved on a new 2002 CR-V - just left deposit via phone/credit card with Adrian @ Mark Roberts Honda in Tulsa, OK.

He confirmed that his price would be approx. $300 over invoice. Helpful, friendly guy.

His number: 1-800-375-5377.
  • Options
    wellresearchedwellresearched Member Posts: 63
    I live in northern New York, so visiting Canada is merely a Sunday drive.

My kid sister, a recent bride, just moved to Canada. Her well worn 1988 Chevy Suburban was not up to Canadian standards. It was not worth what it would have cost her to bring it up to regulations. Bye Suburban.

I liked that their bumper standards are higher but is it an 8 kilometer per mile test or 8 mile per hour? The conversion may negate the difference.I guess after market changes may be a possibility for me in the Canadian market; however, I don't see how I can get a 2002 Chianti w/black/grey interior.

The 2002 CRV will be my FIRST new car. (I've owned cars for 20 years) It will also be my first non american madAmericane. No I did not buy lemons;however, I have vowed never to buy an American made car again. I have spent a fortune "maintaining" my vehicles while my friends with Hondas, Nissans and Toyotas merely changed their oil. My patriotism was very costly.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Bumper standard in Canada is 8 kph, which is equivalent to 5 mph
  • Options
    Jvkalra - The main reason why I bought the CR-V was because it had almost as much cargo room and passenger space as a mid size SUV.

Having a donut tire on an SUV (even if it is light duty) would turn me off even more. It's something that the Escape has been criticized for.

Diploid - Any idea why they would do that?
  • Options
    No idea, varmit. Better question would be, why not just build the CR-V in North America? Honda sells most of its cars in the U.S. and Canada, anyway.

And the donut spare is not the only thing the Escape was criticized for...*coughrecall*

I don't see anything wrong with putting it on the roof. Most CR-V owners never use the roof racks anyway. Besides, wouldn't the CR-V look more 'rugged' with the spare mounted on top, like they do in the Paris Dakar Rally? I have never seen my friend once use her CR-V's roof rack.

But she did have to change the tire, and she replaced the spare but didn't quite put the vinyl covering back on tightly enough, so it flapped in the wind a little, which irked me a lot.
  • Options
    jvkalrajvkalra Member Posts: 98
    I agree that there are people who buy the CR-V for maximum cargo capacity, and for them the tire hanging on the back is the right thing. IMHO, an equal number of people get the CR-V for it's high seating, utility, and reliability, but don't really care for that tire hanging at the back, not only because of aesthetics, but also because of potential damage in low speed crashes.

I think the tire hanging at the back takes away from the styling of the CR-V and gives it a rugged look like it's made for offroading like the Jeep. People who really want that capability won't go for the CR-V. Likewise, most Accord/Civic drivers who "graduate" to the CR-V have no pretensions about going offroad; they would be unlikely to buy the Jeep Liberty. If the CR-V didn't exist, they would get the Highlander (except it's too expensive) or perhaps even a AWD Civic Wagon, if that were available.

Ultimately, this is personal taste/choice, but I think that the CR-V would appeal to a larger audience with an option of hiding the tire below the picnic table. I think the 2002 CR-V would look rugged and appeal to male drivers without the tire prop.

I had my sights on the 2002 CR-V to replace our Accord, precisely because it's almost as roomy as a mid-size SUV, until Honda unveiled the 2002 design. Now I'm planning to look at the Toyota Matrix or maybe(!) Honda will unveil a Matrix competitor at the Detroit show in Jan.
  • Options
    macmac001macmac001 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 CR-v It is know approching 3750 miles.
    Should I change the oile now or wait till 5000 miles or 7000 miles?
  • Options
    Macmac - It depends on where you live and how hard you drive. In the owner's manual you'll see that the regular intervals for oil changes are different depending on the conditions where you drive. FWIW, I had mine done at about 4K.

Jvkalra - Sorry. Didn't mean to come off as picking on you for your opinion. I'm seeing more and more people who dislike the spare on the back. Personally, I think it would have been best if Honda offered one model without it and left the rest as is. I've found so many ways to use the storage under the table, I can't imagine a CR-V without it.

p.s. It might be worth your while to take a look at the Subaru wagons.
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    what if they mounted it under the car it would not be in anyone's way. i just don't think mounting it on the roof would solve problems, it will create more though. first of all it would increase the drag coefficient, which is of a brick as it is, in turn it will increase wind noise at high speeds. secondly, i imagine it would be very dificult for anyone under 6 feet tall to get it, especially women (over 60% of cr-v owners are women)
    just my 2 cents
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Their deals are exactly $316 over invoice on CRV, Accord, Civic but not Odyssey. Great dealer-
    1-800-375-LESS (bartlesville) www.autoinvoice.com has details and more information. There is a $49 doc fee and no tricks. I have purchased there and have sent over 20 happy customers there from all over the country. Remember the $500 credit card deposit up front. My saleman was John Page--you can talk to who you want but John is a cool dude as are the others, tell them INKY sent you--that costs you nothing. I always make a plug for this $316 over invoice Honda dealer that I found in 1994.
    INKY
  • Options
    artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    dudka, i agree......i'd like to see the spare mounted under the vehicle (then it could be full-size)....even on the current cr-v there looks like there's room to mount it to the left of the muffler and as a bonus, it would hide those ugly drive-line components that are all too visible from the back. yeah, i know, it might get gunked up a bit but that's what hoses are for. then we could have a proper hatch, a functioning rear bumper, and under the floor storage with fish tub as well. THAT's my perfect CR-V!
  • Options
    elight50elight50 Member Posts: 26
    I was going to stay out of this discussion, having vented several times about the spare. I don't own a CRV and the spare is one reason (money is the other (:<} ). What happens if you simply take the spare off and put inside? Will it fit in the fish tank? Could something clever be mounted to the tire arm (a fake tire?) to keep the vehicle looking complete? With all the aftermarket stuff being offered for the CRV, I'm surprised that a mounting system isn't offered.

On a related note, does the US version of the CRV have a 5 MPH bumper? If not, can the Canadian bumper be retrofitted to the US model?

Keep up the chatter. I can enjoy the car vicariously and save my pennies. I understand the new model is ONLY four years away.

EDL
  • Options
    fasteddie9fasteddie9 Member Posts: 63
    Hi Everyone,
    The countdown begins. After 12 years with a Prelude and 190000 miles later, this will be my first new car. Even though I would like the spare tire in the car, I am not going to gripe at this point. Just getting something new is a great feeling. BTW, I am a new member and longtime reader.
  • Options
    I'm going to be rotating my tires this weekend. I'll try to take some pictures of the tire in the tub and post them.

:)
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    IIRC correctly, the Swindon plant was underutilized and Honda lacks capacity in North America. Shipping costs from England are probably no more than shipping from Japan.

Hmmm - we have empty plant in England or we can invest $1 billion + in North America. Hence Swindon.
  • Options
    beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    I've been trying to get rid of mine for years ;) As for the 'V, the spare works well where it is. It doesn't take up any cargo room, it's easy to reach, and it's full sized. Donuts bite, plain and simple. I have my fishwell packed with stuff (blankets, flashlight, gloves, etc) and still have all of the cargo space available.

As far as damage to the rear, if you get rear ended, you will have damage no matter where the spare is located. If you are worried about backing into things, just remember to be careful and look where you are going. If you don't like the look of the spare on the rear, then perhaps you should look elsewere for a vehicle.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Putting the spare on the roof pretty much means you have to climb onto the roof to detach it and get it down.

I also like the spare on the back door, for convenience, interior space, allowance for a full-size tire/wheel, and, surprise, the look.

Agreed, beatfarmer, if you get hit in the rear, you are likely to have considerable damage no matter what. As long as the insurance is not overly-high because of the rear-mount, then it is no big deal. And with the price of cars these days, new or used, it is pretty foolish to drop full insurance coverage when the loan is paid off (as was sometimes done in the past).
  • Options
    I think most of the concern over damage with the spare on the back is based on the results of the IIHS Bumper Bash. The trouble is this test in no way reflects what might happen in an accident between a car and the back of the vehicle. They test with a five foot wall and a similar sized post. Last time I checked, most cars were not shaped this way.

What amuses me is that the CR-V scored very well in the rear angle barrier test. Vehicles like the Forester suffered more damage (despite having done better is the straight on test). However, no one is complaining about having to fix those expensive tail lights and other assemblies on the corners of the car. :-) :-)
  • Options
    yachtieyachtie Member Posts: 29
    Have not seen it mentioned anywhere, does anyone know what the cd is for the 2002 as against the 2001?
  • Options
    mihai1mihai1 Member Posts: 10
    I think the new CRV looks really good. The spare tire looks fine in the back. I rather like it there than under the car. I had a Toyota pick-up with the spare mounted under. What a mess when I had a flat...I had to get on my knees, under the car, mud all over my pants and everything (it was very muddy because I was overseas in Eastern Europe where roads are not like here in the US).
  • Options
    Yatchie - Nope. I think it was Drew who ran some calculations and estimated that the current CR-V is in the mid to high 40's.

Elliot - Good to hear from you. I'm told by a Honda Engineer that the spare used in the JDM Fullmark is a donut. It has the same diameter (so it can be used with the RT4WD), but is narrower. This leads me to believe that the full sized spare will not fit under the table.
  • Options
    elight50elight50 Member Posts: 26
    Varmit - do you know whether the US bumper is 5MPH? Assuming it isn't, what is the diff between the US and Canadian Bumpers (packing popcorn perhaps?) You once suggested that a 6x6 could attached. Perhaps I can find some plastic cladding to make it look integrated.

Elliott
  • Options
    I suggested a 6x6? Man, I must've been bored that day. I wouldn't normally suggest a thing like that. I prefer a nice pine 2x8. :-)

Dunno about 5 mph. They must be 2.5 mph to pass government regs, though.
  • Options
    tomf11tomf11 Member Posts: 40
    Have you driven you CR-V, I have only driven on the freeway,80mph. Not scared to go faster,I think it will do 100,just can't aford a ticket.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    Besides putting it on the rear, the roof is the other logical place to put it, I think.

Like mihai has described, putting it on the bottom of the car can be a dirty job when you have to change the tire, although I personally have never had a flat tire in my 7 years of driving.

If the CR-V does offer a Fullmark edition, I would be ambivalent about buying it. I do want my full sized spare (just in case), but I would rather have the option of removing it and storing it inside the car (assuming that it would even fit)- which means no unsightly rear spare tire holder popping out of the tailgate, and moving the license plate holder to the center.

But if that's not possible, I would just have to settle for the Fullmark and buy my own full size spare and store it inside the car. I would also get rid of the donut and use that space for extra storage.