Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• docralphodocralpho Member Posts: 50
    Toyota makes the PreRunner version of the Tacoma--the truck looks like a 4wd truck, but is a 2wd with a locking rear differential. That vehicle makes a lot of sense for some as it has the "macho" looks and height of a 4wd, and has a locking differential that makes it a pretty decent off-road machine. Yet, it weighs less and gets better mpg than a 4wd Tacoma, and costs less. I am considering the purchase of a 2wd 4Runner with the hopes of eventually installing a PowerTrax No-Slip locking differential assembly. This would make the 4Runner quite similar to the Tacoma PreRunner, with considerably better traction than a 2wd vehicle, but with the benefits of a 2wd with less weight, maintenance, cost, etc. So far, I do not believe PowerTrax makes the assembly for the latest 4-Runner. I am hopeful they will. Cost estimated to be $400 for the assembly plus installation.
    In my area (NM) the newest 4-Runners are arriving with the cladding color-matched as "standard equipment" with no separately itemized cost for an "appearance package".
  • docralphodocralpho Member Posts: 50
    Can any owners tell me what fuel is specified for use in the new V6 4Runner? (e.g. regular, medium grade or premium grade unleaded?). Thanks!
  • crashslammercrashslammer Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2003 4Runner Limited 2WD V8 that I bought in January. I only have 1400 or so miles on it so far, and most of that city driving, infrequent highway driving. The problem is that the solidity I admired so much in the beginning is slowly evaporating. The structure of the vehicle seems to be loosening up: when I drive over irregular pavement, there are intermittent creaking noises (not very loud, but noticeable) coming from somewhere deep in the region of the glovebox area. Also, there is a stress crack that's developed around the panel surrounding the driver's window switches. Has anyone else noticed these problems?

I live in California in the 'burbs (since I have a "2Runner" I'm obviously one of those wussies that don't go off-roading) and I drive somewhat conservatively; I don't think I've subjected my 4Runner to any harsh road conditions. BTW, I have the X-Reas system set-up and the 17" wheels, but I don't think that would affect the ride (I do appreciate the way the X-Reas makes my 4Runner handle around curves. If anyone wants to know, the X-Reas is worth getting.) Don't get me wrong, I really like my 4Runner, but I'm concerned that it won't last as long build-wise as my previous Hondas, which were bullet-proof. I'm a careful owner who tends to hold on to my cars until they literally die.

I've noticed too since living with my 4Runner where Toyota had to cut corners with interior fixtures. The sunroof cover is flimsy as is the pivoting door to the storage compartment in front of the gearshift. Also the sides of the center console and the plastic shrouds on each side of the seat tracks flex way too much. When you spend 34K plus for a vehicle with Toyota's reputation, you should expect a certain level of quality.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    The fuel for the 4Runner is recommended at a minimum of 87 octane, and 91 octane for better performance.

Altitude - I'm told you lose about 3-4% of HP per 1,000 feet of elevation gain. Up on the top of Trail Ridge Road, you only have half to two thirds of your sea-level horsepower. However, an advantage of driving in elevation seems to be better mileage although I don't know why. After moving to Colorado, I noticed a 5-10% improvement in mileage. Anybody know why?
  • flinn1flinn1 Member Posts: 2
    In December I got my 2003 v-8 mica stratoshere sport model with the upgraded JBL 10 speaker stereo, power outlet and no front sport bumper.This is exactly what I wanted.I'm from Washington state but went to San Fransico because this color wasn't available by the end of the year [02]Have to tell you I absolutely LOVE the rig it exceeded my expectations, but like Javie 109 I to am having that clunking just as you discussed. Took it to the dealer but of coarse it would not make the sound for them .I'm going to take them for a drive myself to see if I can get it to do it . I'll let you know what we come up with . Please let me know if you get it done 1st.thanks
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I have the V-8 Sport with JBL 10 speaker sound, and moon roof. I have no clunks. I have no broken interior plastic parts.
      I do only have about 6K miles on it.
      That little plastic drawer in front of the console puzzled me as to what fits in there. All I keep in there is pens.
      I had a new receiver hitch put on free by my dealer. It seems some models had a receiver that was too small, and depended on build date. The new receiver does not have the piece of metal protecting the spare tire. As long as I know that, I should have no problem.

• jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    Javie109,

The seat squeaking on the limiteds has been brought up before. If it's the same, it had something to do with the side airbags rubbing against the seat. The fix was easy and involved a piece of felt being put in the seat. Search this discussion for seat or squeek or airbag and I'm sure you'll find the discussion.

Docralpho,
    Regular unleaded works fine, my dealer said premium is only a recommendation, but not really a serious one.

Hope that helps,
    Jared
  • tacovivatacoviva Member Posts: 116
    Flinn1,

I have an 03 Sport V8 and it also developed a clunk. Took it to the dealer and they said "we can't find anything worng". I started poking around and noticed that the left rear shock was leaking fluid. In fact, it was empty. Now this in itself isn't a big deal, but this is the so called X-REAS. To make a long story short, they fixed it for free. They replaced the entire system. Cost = 1,000. I didn't pay it, but by all means check yours and get it fixed BEFORE the warranty runs out. I think they actually were trying to put me off until the warranty exprired. They had "experts" going over the vehicle and I had to show them what was wrong. Other than that this is by far the best vehicle I've owned.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    After moving to Colorado, I noticed a 5-10% improvement in mileage.

That seems counterintuitive. Perhaps you're just not driving as fast as you used to?

tidester, host
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Yeah, quit enjoying the scenery and speed up!

I wonder if you are now burning 89 octane instead of the 87 stuff most of us get in the flatlands when we get regular unleaded. If so, maybe your engine likes that better?

Steve, Host
  • onyeiiionyeiii Member Posts: 25
    I have an '03 V8 Sport, and am noticing a 'clunk' sound on occasion. I am rarely able to duplicate it, but it seems to happen after releasing the breaks at a stoplight or similar, and when the vehicle hasn't warmed up. How did you determine that the shock was empty of fluid? Do they have level indicators or similar devices?

Thanks!
  • vodgutvodgut Member Posts: 162
    At most gas stations here in Colorado, they tend to sell 85, 87, and 91 octane fuel. If anything the octane is lower, on average, here.

I've also heard the figure of power loss of 3% per thousand feet of altitude. Does anyone have a link or documentation for this? I'm interested in knowing more about it. I've also heard that turbo and super charged vehicles experience less power loss per thousand feet as the compression somewhat compensates for the altitude.
  • ringneckpheasringneckpheas Member Posts: 5
    I have a '99 4Runner with an automatic transmission. For the most part the transmission seems fine, except when cold. On cold mornings, the transmission seems to have trouble shifting between 2nd and 3rd gears...one time (it won't shift until ~2500 rpm). After the first shift between 2nd and 3rd it then shifts fine. This is my first 4Runner...is this normal? My dealer claims it is normal, but I don't think to highly of most dealerships. I have owned many vehicles in my day and have never experienced this from an automatic transmission. Most cars, when cold, will rev a bit higher in order to shift, but not this dramatically. Has anyone else out there exeperienced this?

Thanks much.
  • chesterzchesterz Member Posts: 11
    Javie109, I have not experienced any creaking sounds from the driver's seat, nor any strange sounds from the suspension. I have the XRES, but not the air suspension. But I have only had it for a week and half. I do live on a gravel road off of pavement in the desert outside of Santa Fe. At times the road is like a washboard, so will definitely notice anything thant might crop up.

I may be nit picking, but the display for time and temperature, mpg etc., seems to be angled differently, and at times is not that easy to read. I probably need stronger glasses!!!
  • billf6531billf6531 Member Posts: 8
    "On cold mornings, the transmission seems to have trouble shifting between 2nd and 3rd gears ..."

This is normal, but I'll bet the dealer didn't know why. By holding the transmission in a lower gear, it forces the engine to rev faster, and thus warm up faster. It's an emissions reduction technique. Just drive a few blocks at 50 kilometres an hour, or under, and it'll shift normally.
  • kab8kab8 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a 95 limited with everything but the grill guard and I tried to smog it and the head gasket is bad .....big labor cost any suggestions?
    BTW I Called toyota they said that my vin is 2000 cars away from the recall on the gasket Vo6
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    gasket right around that time, as it became apparent from the early 90-95s that there was a problem with it.

I guess if anyone should know whether the new or the old was used in your truck, it would be Toyota. But you could get a second opinion from a different dealership, perhaps?

If the truck has a million miles on it, they do sometimes just go when they get really old too...

Note: if you are going to pay to have the head taken off, it will only be a few hundred more to replace the exhaust valves at the same time, which is a really good idea with this engine if you are planning on keeping it a while. They are known to burn out around 150-200K.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• sween77sween77 Member Posts: 31
    My 4runner does the same clunking as onyeiii describes. After breaking and coming to a stop when letting off of the brake it sometimes clunks. Tacoviva says its realted to Xreas however I dont have Xreas. Could regular shocks low in fluid cause the same sensation?
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    Just got back from towing my old Porsche 911 track car down to Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham, AL from Lansing, MI. Total trip was about 1500 miles. I tow the car on an aluminum open trailer, and the trailer and car together weigh ~4,000 lbs. My target tow speed was 70 mph. This was the first tow with our '03 4Runner Limited V8. It has air suspension and XREAS shocks.

The handling, ride and power of the 4Runner when towing are just impeccable, and I couldn't be more pleased. We averaged 14.56 mpg (calculated)burning premium gas. Worst tank was 12.5 mpg (heavy rain, headwinds), best tank was 15.6 mpg. This is a great tow vehicle!

The "clunk" when stopping and releasing the brake is a classic symptom of binding in the driveshaft slip yokes. This is easily fixed by liberally greasing the slip yoke fittings at each oil change. Toyota used to recommend using grease containing Moly Disulfide for the slip yokes. I used Moly grease on our '98 4Runner and it worked fine.

-Karl
  • smg1062smg1062 Member Posts: 54
    Hoping to buy at year's end. Want a LOADED LIMITED edition. What can really expect to pay? Cant waste all day haggling AND I intend to buy the vehicle outright; no lease or finance. Any feedback would be GREAT!!!

Steve
    V6 = more HP; V8 = more torque
    V8 better on hills and from a standstill. MPG difference seems minimal, or is it? Anyone out there with advice on which way to go? My 1st reaction would be to get the 5 speed V8 over the 4 speed V6...

Steve
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Did your 4runner have any hitch problems? Also,
    how did you like that track? I live about 10 miles from there. How in the world did you get on it?
  • mechfred1mechfred1 Member Posts: 12
    I bought the V6 with multi- mode in CA.I have 4000 miles and no problems as of yet.V8 is full time 4 wheel drive and no 2 wheel drive option and V6 can do full time and 2 wheel drive a plus to me.4 speed top speed about 108 mph with a 3.91 rear ratio and V8 with 124 mph top speed and 3.71 rear ratio.The V6 does not need a 5 speed in my opinion.Also the V6 is a VVT-1 engine that i like better.Milage is about 17.5(calucated}on my first trip to AZ. when new going fast and city driving a week in AZ.I paid 35490 plus tax, Lic,and 49 dallars doc fees.It is a limited with all options less xreas and height control and no navigatin.This is my expiriance to date.I bought my choice and you should do the same.I have never liked choices but wanted the new 4X4 toyota 4 runner.Fred
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    Get the V6. The V8 puts out strong sulfer smell and gets horrible gas mileage.
  • jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    This has been discussed pretty fully in here, I would suggest searching a while back (january time frame, or just search for v6 and v8) you'll get a lot of insight. Oh and to the last comment, the sulfur smell is a bit of a flame war in here, it seems to be only regional, so take it with a grain of salt (but if you live in those states, take it seriously).

-Jared
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    Well, I finally did it! I've wanted a 4Runner for years.... almost bought an 02 last fall, waited then saw ugly gray cladding on the 03's. Now that it's fixed I finally went and test drove the new body style (had not done so yet) and fell in love! This truck is unbelievable! I've never owned a truck or suv before - always sporty little cars - so this will be a little bit of a change.
    What I'm getting: galactic gray (I couldn't believe how awesome this color looks in person - blue metallic specs in it)/ V6 (I don't tow anything) / 4WD / Appearance Pkg (now std) / sunroof / roof rack / accessory pkg (mats, etc) / fogs. I think that's it. Sticker 31.5 - Price 28.8 before tax. According to edmunds this is below TMV :)
    Great dealership, great sales guy (Burnsville Toyota in Mpls, MN).
    Looking forward to picking up my new 4Runner Monday night & lots of "running" in the future :)
    W
    Anyone have a 4R with the optional DVD system? (not the NAV system; a video DVD system). It was supposed to be available starting in April I think?? Im curious as to the added cost, performance, etc........

Steve
  • khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    Check your email.

-Karl
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    Now that Toyota is putting on the appearance package on SR5's and Sports....there isn't much difference in the exterior of the SR5 or Limited.

Does anyone know if Toyota will offer a two tone look again for the Limited for 2004 model to distinquish it from the SR5??
    As for price, check out http://www.carsdirect.com or other equivalent sites to see what they're selling the vehicle equipped as you want for. That will give you a good idea of about what you should pay. Chances are most dealers won't go much lower than that. Note that unless you're special ordering (4-6 months) that most dealers will only have certain packages of options that are offered, it's hard to find one that's individually equipped. Visit Toyota's website to see what the option packages are in your area.

As for the engine, apparently both are good. I have a V8 with the 5 speed, and I love it. It's a wonderful drive train, very powerful and smooth. The northeast, however, is one of the places I think people have complained about the sulfur smell, though, so I'd at least check out the vehicle I was buying beforehand, and be somewhat wary of it. The V6 did have a recall recently due to possibility of an underhood fire, but I hope they've gotten that taken care of. The V6 is a new engine design, the V8 is proven. However, I believe the 5 speed auto with the V8 is also a new design (or did they borrow the tranny from some other product? - not sure on this one)
  • javie109javie109 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your inputs, It made me feel a lot better now.

jaredmsd,
    Sorry, I failed to mention that the shop did show me the TSB about the creaking driver seat and they sent the truck to the the upholstery shop to apply the fix. I brought it back the second time because it was still creaking, not as much though. They sent it back to the upholstery shop but they said they already applied the fix. Someone mentioned on the earlier posts that a WD-40 would help (for frame joints I would think)but how can I remove this leather cover without cutting...and this one has an airbag.

Speaking of upholstery, what kind of material did they use on the headliner. Run your fingernails on it and it will leave a permanent mark. Now, my headliner looks like a catfight arena (just exaggerating) with all kinds of stuff touching it...I have kids you know. It is flat out poor material, IMHO.
    And.. my passengers complain about how hard it is to buckle up especially when the middle seat is occupied. Anyone has these kinds of problems...sorry, annoyances too?

chesterz,
    I thought when you have X-REAS, you also have air suspension. I am wrong apparently. It should be the other way around (w/ air suspension, you would have X-REAS). The display seems to be OK for me.
    Yes, when I've had 5 people in the vehicle, they've had problems finding and getting the middle rear seatbelt buckled. It is kind of an annoyance. Apparently, even though there's the little strap to hold it, the latch keeps disappearing into the seat.

From my understanding, the air suspension implies and includes X-REAS, but X-REAS does not mean air suspension.
  • tacovivatacoviva Member Posts: 116
    I had a clunk, but it only happened when at slow speeds while going over small bumps, or potholes. If you get yours after stopping, then Karl is probably correct. However, it may be associated with "driveshaft windup". This was discussed in the tacoma board. In short, when coming to a stop, the drive shaft stores up energy and when you release the brake the energy stored releases as well. The result is a clunk or thud coming from the rear of the vehicle. I don't know if there's a fix or not. I had a similar experience on my tacoma, but not that bad. I don't have it at all on my wife's 4runner.
    Am I wrong or are the hood scoops ONLY available on the Sport Edition? Please say it aint so........I love the scoop, but I want a Limited Edition 4R...........the brochure doesnt specify whether the Limited has a scoop...........
  • kb28kb28 Member Posts: 25
    To you guys that special ordered: Is there an approximate time frame within which the dealer will get a shipment date from Toyota for an ordered 4Runner? My dealer told me the order will take up to 12 weeks (ordered 1 month ago), but I've heard the dealer will get advance notice of the shipment date a month or so from the date the order is placed. Anyone know?
    I've read mixed reviews on the NAV/Audio system layout. Is it cumbersome to use the touch screen for radio/cd controls? And is it a nuisance to go from radio to NAV/vice versa?

Steve
  • mrshenry2002mrshenry2002 Member Posts: 15
    I've noticed the same about the headliner...couldn't believe how CHEAP the matarial looks ! Mine is also scatched already & my kid is 16 yrs old! I don't even know HOW it happened....

Vodgut, be glad when the seat belt slips into the seat...my middle seat belt cracked when it failed to slide into the seat when I folded the seats down...it wouldn't lay flat so I press down...I didn't use much force (I'm not exactly Hulk Hogan) and crack... I never had to worry about the seatbelts getting in the way when folding the seats in my '93...

I'm not one to change vehicles often ...planned to drive this one for a loooooooooog time (one of the reasons for sticking with toyota). But, I have to admit...I'm a little worried about the integrity of this one...just little things that's starting to add up !
    I've only had my 4Runner for less than a week, but I thought I'd share early impressions.

Good things. Solid as a rock. Extremely quiet at speeds less than 40 - then a bit of wind noise, but still very quiet for an SUV. Nothing wrong with it in the first week. Good base radio package. Lots of storage space up front and in back seat.

Bad things. Gauges (speedo, tach) are hard to read in daylight with sunglasses on - radio and HVAC readouts are just about invisible. Need a step ladder to wash the top (and I'm 6'3"). So far, don't really like the double decker cargo system (takes up a couple of inches of height, but it may come in handy someday). Wish there was some storage below the floor in the rear (for jumper cables, tow strap, etc.). Sun visors are so thick I can't clip my garage door opener to them. Very minor complaints - really.

I also bought Weather Tech rubber floor mats and they arrived in 4 days using standard ground UPS! I had to trim a portion of the front drivers mat because I thought it interfered with the accelerator. (Has anyone used the Weather Tech Cargo Mat with the double decker system? How does it fit?)

All in all, a very nice vehicle. I'm hoping to keep it for 10 years and mostly want bullet-proof reliability. My other vehicle is a BMW so I have a no-lose decision to make every morning. It almost makes going to work fun. Enjoy!
      I put my garage door opener in the holder in the top that I think are for eye glasses. They now offer homelink as an option on the Sport. I had that on the vehicle I traded in on the 4Runner. It is the way to go for garage door openers.
      I have a radar detector that won't clip on those huge sun visors. I have no idea why they are so fat. Maybe it's so I do the speed
    limit.
    I'm pretty sure the hood scoop is only on the Sport. Personally, I don't like non-functional hood scoops, so I'm happy my Limited doesn't have one....

For jumper cables, etc., I just put a box full of stuff in the back, then strap it in with the cargo net. Yeah, it would be nice if there were actually an area for this, though.

My other car is a 98 Audi A4. I like having the 4Runner along with a German sport sedan. Though after driving the 4Runner a lot, then driving the Audi, I feel like my butt is dragging along the road, due to the much lower seating position.
    The hood scoop is only on the Sport. It has a block on it that can be removed by taking out 4 bolts. I don't think unblocking it would make any difference with a fuel injected engine. All that it would do would let bugs and rain and snow into my engine. That little screen in front of it does catch bugs.
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    The dealer will have visibility of the 4Runner 4-6 weeks before it hits the lot. There are usually two allocations a month when inventory is given to dealerships. Ask the salesperson when the next one is, they should be able to call you after the allocation to let you know if your order was filled or not.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    I'd suggest the area behind the vertical panel on the right side of the cargo area, near the rear of the vehicle. There are even straps in this storage area, to keep things from rattling around. Should be room for jumper cables and perhaps another thing or two, though I haven't tried it yet.

BTW, the equivalent panel on the left side of the cargo area houses the jack, jack handle, and lug wrench.
  • javie109javie109 Member Posts: 5
    mrshenry2002-Don't tell us that you are just about ready to give up on your 4Runner. Remember that it is still one of the best SUV in the market, just take a peek on "New Cars--TCO" on this site.
    I maybe nitpicking most of the time but I still love my 4Runner. I still think that those problems can very well be categorized as just annoyances. I am very confident that it will bring me to point A to B to C and so on without any major issues. It is not like it will stall on you.....hey...wait a minute... mine stalled...when my wife was driving. It was towed to the dealer and they found that it ran out of gas. Funny, but my wife swore that she did not notice that the gas was empty. So, I did my little investigation. Found out that the supposedly warning light is just a small red solid circle. I could have missed it myself. I know we learned it the hard way. Of course, it can be attributed to user error (what we call here..Error code: ID-10T) but I would blame it partly on the design (here I go again). Why is it that they did not use a "gas dispenser" symbol, blinking and all (like most vehicle that I drove) escapes me.

BTW, the Toyota Roadside Assistance was very quick to respond.
  • morrymorry Member Posts: 24
    Don't believe everything you read. I love my navigation and radio. As with anything new, you have to get used to it. After 3 weeks I am now hitting all the right buttons without hardly looking. Get it and you'll be glad that you did.

Morry
    I spoke with 2 Toyota dealers today about the availability of the rear DVD system that Toyota said would be available in the Spring. I was told that they are 'special order' only and that it adds a month to the wait time. RIDICULOUS! They also told me that ALL 4Runners are built in Japan and normally take 3 months to arrive from the order submission to delivery, if the one you want is not on the lot. Is this right? As far as DVD, I probably would not wait; I would put an aftermarket system in, but what does that do to the warranty? Anyone here do that?? Any input would be helpful..............
  • John_1John_1 Member Posts: 5
    with my experiences with my 03 4 Runner.

I have the V8 Limited grade, with most every option available. It's truly an impressive vehicle, and I have absolutely no regrets on the purchase.

The virtues of this truck have been very well documented here and elsewhere, and I can't think of much to add. The ride quality is among the best I've experienced in an SUV, performance is excellent for a vehicle of this type, and I really do enjoy all the electronic conveniences.

The navigation system is excellent - I found it very intuitive to program, and the map coverage is quite good in my area. I wish, however, that Toyota did not choose to disable certain NAV and audio functions when the vehicle is moving (did you know that it's not even possible to display an RDS message when in motion?). While I appreciate the safety (and potentially legal) concerns that have driven the way these systems function, they've taken them a bit too far in my opinion. I would take advantage of any reasonable method available to defeat this functionality.

I do have some concerns, and I'd be interested to hear if others have experienced similar behavior in their 4Runners.

- The headliner rattles in the area just forward of the sunroof (common problem, I know)

- The driver's seat squeaks (again common)

- When pressing the brake pedal, sometimes I feel a single pulse. I attribute this to either the Electronic Brake Force distribution system or the Brake Assist function. Sometimes ambient noise is low enough so that I can hear a slight buzzing sound - I'm assuming it's an electronic component cycling on. It's sometimes possible to reproduce this when stopped. To see if your vehicle does this, try the following: after you've stopped at a traffic light, press very hard on the brake pedal. You should feel a single pulse, and it'll be accompanied by the sound (it may be hard to hear). This likely won't happen every time - if it doesn't happen, try again later.

- When raising the vechile with the air suspension, I hear a fairly loud pop at one point during the operation. The sound does not seem to happen at the same point in the suspension travel every time.

- I wish a rear view camera were included. However, since the function of such a camera is discussed in the owners manual, it seems likey that it'll be added in future years. I'd happily pay to have this retrofitted, if possible.

I'm going to check with the dealer on most of these (especially the brakes and air suspension issues).

My overall impression of this vehicle is very positive. I'd wholeheartedly recommend giving it a look-see if you're in the market for a midsize SUV.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    well, all Runners ARE built in Japan. I think many dealers do not want to take special orders on toyotas, so they discourage you with talk of 3-month wait times etc. But the Japanese location for manufacture part is true.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I'm looking to purchase a bike rack for my 4Runner. Any comments on roof racks versus hitch mounted ones. I found a hitch mount that I like from Bauer that tilts down (not sideways). Does anyone know if the tilt down is enough to still open the tailgate?

Oh yea, one other comment for new owners. My tires were all inflated to over 45 psi when I picked up my vehicle. I guess dealer prep these days means washing it, and for that they charge $299! Check your tire pressure.