Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    Rode one with the 'charger though. Like Greazed Lightnin'! Might keep up with my 'Stang!

Naaaaaaaaah!!
  • sean48sean48 Member Posts: 37
    Is it likely that Toyota dealers know what mix (models/options) they are likely to receive in their first shipments of the 2003 4Runner? I plan to start some serious vehicle shopping this weekend and would like to get down to discussing a specific model (Limited) and options (navigation system) if the dealer is likely to have that information. I know that the first dealership person I encounter is likely to plead ignorance (believe me, I've had my share of "Toyota isn't telling us anything" responses over the last month or so), so I'd like to have some sense of whether I'm expecting too much too soon.

Also, has anyone heard of any pricing information for the 2003 4Runner? Thanks.
  • 4wdisfun4wdisfun Member Posts: 55
    I'm looking for 03 PRADO pics. Thx
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Pricing is supposed to start around 27,900. Check Autoweek.com for the news item about Toyota's SUVs from about a week and a half ago for more details.
    ...everyone saw this pic:

http://www.mag-x.com/index_ie_j.html

• steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    Here in the Chicago region, we do not know what our first arrivals will be yet. However, we do know the build combinations that they will be coming in. Make sure you speak with a manager, most salespeople won't have that info.
  • rdavis2710rdavis2710 Member Posts: 20
    I have taken 3 trips and am up to 4,300 miles since I purchased my 2002 Sport Edition on June 1. This is an incredible truck and I get all sorts of nice comments regarding the styling. My truck was fully loaded - for $29K. I know I will get 200K miles on Sport easily. I just love those big wheels and my 9 year old thinks she is in heaven when we pass her friends....

To all who are waiting for the 2003 - best wishes - she looks real sharp. I still think you will pay PREMIUM dollar for it.
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    Hey All - what are some other 4Runner owner websites? I did a search on google but didn't come up with anything worth while.
    Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This is it :-) Plus our terms of use prohibit promoting other competing forums....

(maybe it's your search terms on google - I get lots of hits with "toyota forum 4runner").

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    Are you looking for a site that has done some customization of a 4RUNNER or discussion forums. If you are looking for customization I there are a bunch and I found them from previous postings ehre. If you are looking for discussion forums, sorry I don't know.
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    Well I know where both individual sites and forum sites are. 4Runner owners who have their own sites are fun to look at, plus you can get some great ideas. If you look at some of these sites, they may have some recommendations on forums. Here is a link to about 100 individual sites. Hopefully this will be O.K. to post. (A word of warning: These guys are crazy and they love their 4Runners.) Enjoy

http://www.pnw4runners.net/tando/rigs.htm

• carlmoorejrcarlmoorejr Member Posts: 23
    ALEV,If you use the keyword feature on TOWN HALL page and type in "AIRBAG" I think you will find some very interesting information on airbag deployments and faulty airbags. C-YA!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We frown on Town Hall members promoting other sites and, in fact, it's against the rules to promote other sites that have message boards. Technically, the site you referenced doesn't have its own message board though it has lots of great links. I just hope no one here gets lost and forgets to come back to the Town Hall!

We do, however, expect you to generate lots of great discussion in the Town Hall as a result of your travels!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    "tidester" thank you for letting me post a link to some individual sites. I noticed some of the sites are down and some are just pictures, still I think it is fun to visit. As far as this forum goes, I think it is a wonderful site and it helped me in purchasing my vehicle and in maintaining it. You diffently get a lot of opinions on this board.
    These are the 03 4RUNNER specs for Costa Rican market:

Turbo-diesel 130 Hp
    Gas V6 4.0L 260 Hp and V8 250 Hp
    No third row seat
  • alevalev Member Posts: 3
    Thank you, for the information. It seems like I am not the only one who had the same kind of problem. I will keep you updated about what happen?
  • mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    Interesting HP figures. No smog eh.
    Remember that emission regulations here are not as demanding as in the US, thats why HP can be a lot more using the same engine.
    I have to tell you something funny - I bought my 2002 on June 1 - and I have not been happy with the radio - I just thought it was going to sound better. I had set it up, and was a bit dissapointed...

Come to find out a couple of weeks ag - my kid had messed arounbd with all the settings - I went back and reset it and your right - THE SOUND IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you like your Limited? I test drove it, and really liked it, but the leather is not important to me. I got the sport - she is a beaut!!!!! How many miles do you have?

Rick
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    I have about 1200 miles on it. I got it around mid-July. The leather could be better quality, but it is good enough (darn, no Lexus leather here!). But, i have noticed that Toyota improved the leather on the steering wheel as compared to previous years...can anyone confirm this?? (Cliffy?)

When i was shopping, i actually wanted ONLY the Golden Pearl color and 4x4. It was that or look elsewhere (maybe '03 Discovery or new 4Runner).

Loving it everyday! Rick, how many miles on yours?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    << We frown on Town Hall members promoting other sites and, in fact, it's against the rules to promote other sites that have message boards. >>

I can't believe that Edmunds is worried about other so-called "competitors." It's all about the exchange of information, which is helpful to any and all who visit these forums, no matter where it comes from. That kind of ruling makes Edmunds look childish, if not downright stupid.

Bob
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's been our policy as long as I've been here and I've dumped a few posts that say "this stinks, meet me at xyz forum." Ads help pay the bills around here and giving free ads to other sites doesn't generate income. You're welcome to use the Feedback Form to tell it to the managers.

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

<< Ads help pay the bills around here and giving free ads to other sites doesn't generate income. >>

It has nothing to do with advertising. It has to do with communicating information. To think that people here don't visit other (widely known) sites, is just plain naive.

Bob
    With all due respect, I don't think you're reading either our statements or the Terms of Use carefully enough. We do not object to mentioning or referring to other sites. The key word is "promotion," particularly of other commercial sites and especially when that promotion castigates this site.

You've been here long enough to recognize that many Town Hall members routinely exchange information often related to other sites within the mild constraints cited here and that it contributes significantly to the discourse on these boards.

Surely, you also recognize that blatant promotion of other commercial sites with the intent of drawing Town Hall members away is not desirable. Nor is objecting to it "childish." Edmund's Terms of Use, to which we all agreed when we signed on to the Town Hall, are fairly typical of commercial sites that host chat rooms and message boards. (Have a look at some of them!) I think the arrangement is quite fair and makes abundant sense.

I hope that helps because I am anxious to return to discussing the 4Runner.

tidester
    Host
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    I sent a message to my toyota dealer requesting information on the new 2003 model. They sent me the same pictures that were posted on this site last week. Obviously, there is no secret associated with these pictures.
    Incidentally, the dealer told me that he would have 1 2003 4-runner to show by the end of August. Delivery of his stock is still on for end of September, early October. He will be taking orders for the 2003 around Labor Day.
    I don't think anyone here is talking about "promoting" other sites; certainly not myself. I have seen many links here on Edmunds to other sites that have message boards/discussion forums, and nobody here has raised an eyebrow.

The last one being the the site that had the new '03 4Runner pixs. The only objection came from Toyota regarding an "information embargo." The fact is that site had a "discussion forum," where that info was listed, and Edmunds did not complain about that fact. Nobody here was "promoting" that site. The only thing of interest was the info regarding that vehicle, not the site.

Bob
    to get this topic back on track: Can we post a link on Edmunds, if the link contains a message board, or discussion forum of some sort&#151;and is NOT promoting that forum, per say? Yes, or no?

Bob
    My local dealership's web site has a list of 4Runners, plus the ones on order for the next week or so. The 2002's are still coming in at least till August 24, 2002. The southeast USA has over 500 4Runners on order. What this means to me, I wouldn't look for 2003 4Runner's in early September. My .02 worth.
    I love that Golden Pearl color - I actually test drove a limited here in Virginia - and of course I really liked it. The dealer said they had received a shipment of 7 new 4 runners - and all were of the Limited make. They wanted to deal - but I was still looking at about $35K. I thought that was a bit much, especially since leather is not that big of a deal for me.

I went to another dealer - and they had just received the sport - 2 of them. The dealership was closing and they told us to take it for a quick test drive (it only had 2 miles on it). I drove it, loved it, and bought it with a record of 5 minutes for negotiations - apparently - the more 2002's they sell - the more allotments of 2003 they get (is this true cliffy???). That was on June 1.

I now have about 4,500 miles - I have taken 3 trips and love that truck more than any other vehicle I have ever owned. 3 weeks ago we were down in Myrtle Beach SC and a HUGE storm came up - I was stuck in a lot and I mean it was pouring. I put it in 4wd and took off through some HUGE puddles in a blinding rain storm. That truck is a HOSS!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear you love yours - I look forward to seeing the 2003 - but I am very happy with my 2002.

Rick
  • jb330cijb330ci Member Posts: 2
    Hey Guys,

Just got my wife a golden pearl 2002 Limited two weeks ago. She loves it but I think it's kind of girly! Our '98 black Limited got totaled in an accident in June (got hit from the side and tipped over, partly my fault). After looking around for about a month, tested drove all similar size SUVs including Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Acura, infinity... ended up getting a Runner again. I was waiting for the '03 to come out but didn't like the one I saw on the internet. Anyhoo, the same old runners again...:-(
    bob,

This is what you agreed to: You agree to not promote other auto forums that provide message boards or chats.

Here are the Terms of Use for your reading pleasure.

tidester
    Host

• coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Edmunds is the most comprehensive auto website in existence in my opinion. Why be so worried? Down with communism and dictatorship!
    I may have agreed to Edmunds Terms of Use (in general), but that specific ruling is indeed ludicrous. I will abide by it, even though I absolutely hate it. I'm also sure, if others here at Edmunds read (and memorized) the Terms of Agreement, there would be a huge uproar over that specific issue. I'm positive most posters here at Edmunds are totally unaware of it.

As I said before, I and others, over on the Subaru forums, have posted for several years links to the I-Club message forums, and nobody from Edmunds has EVER questioned those posts and/or links. I've seen others post links here to other message forums as well&#151;again&#151;no complaints from Edmunds in the past.

Oops! I guess I shouldn't even have "mentioned" the I-Club, because now I'm "promoting" it...

Bob
    Come on guys! You've gone way overboard on this one. Someone asked for clarification. We provided it. There is nothing more to be said about it here.

If you have any further questions on the matter either contact me or Edmund's management privately. The topic here is the Toyota 4Runner and not Edmund's policy.

tidester
    Host
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    Although this may have been discussed previously, I got tired of reading thru hundreds of posts :(
    Just curious what you guys get for mileage in your 4Runners?
    Thanks!
    After an interesting exchange of opinions (tidester vs. the others).

My 4runner is 5 years old (1997)and had a clean maintenance and service record (just oil change, filters and tune-ups once in a while). Last week it experienced starting problems and after service I was told by the dealer the "automatic" of the starter and other parts inside" were replaced. Can anybody explain what this means and how common this is. Thx.
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    rdavis2710,

I purchased my Sport Edition in November. Now have 17,600 miles. I change the oil every 3000 miles. The truck has not been back to the dealer since the free oil change at 1000 miles. I change the oil and filter myself, saves time and it is done correctly. This may be the best vehicle I have owned, to date it is flawless. Color is Thundercloud, has all the Sport features plus moonroof, roof rack, rear spoiler and running boards. I installed a Manik Grill Guard, PIAA clear Driving/Fog lights, Wagg rear light guards, Wagg rear bumper protector(neat!), WeatherTech (WeatherFlectors) vents for the windows, Donnerly Outside temp. - Direction - Electrochromatic Rear View Mirror, Passport 8500 Radar detector and had Verizon install the handsfree cell phone. Plan on keeping at least 6 years.
    I have talked with many folks that own 4Runners and am yet to find a complaint, these trucks are really bullet proof.

wayde: Initially I was getting 17 - 19 mpg. After 10K miles it has maintained between 20 and 22 on highway driving.
  • jkulp42757jkulp42757 Member Posts: 83
    I was torn between Truck or SUV, buy something now or wait for the 2003 4Runner.

Well, I went ahead and purchased a 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 as I needed something with a backseat for the kids (actually more back seat room than most SUV's).

I really had debated on waiting for the 2003 4Runner, but after seeing the pictures I am glad I passed.

It just looks too much like a "cute-ute". The ruggedness that is present in the current model is gone in the 2003. It reminds me of a Jeep Liberty.

I saw one other poster than agreed with me on the looks of the new runner. Anyone else agree? I really love Toyota (especially the Tacoma Double Cab) just dissapointed with the 2003 4Runner. Who knows, maybe it will look better in person.
    to see what the '03 really looks like in person. I don't know what all the fuss is, because if you look at the photo on the Mag-X site, take away the Hilux-Surf/Prado rear fender crease, and the new 'Runner looks like an updated, wind-swept version of the current model, with hints of the RAV4 and Sequoia, and a touch of the Trailblazer in the squared-off fenders. And if you look at the side photos, it really doesn't look that drastically different from a 3rd gen model. I'm laying down pictures of the 2002 right next to the 2003 shots, and it looks like a pretty natural progression.

I've also been perplexed by what people are complaining about with it looking like it's been lowered a bit. By studying where the lugs hit the imaginary line of the rocker panel height, you can see where it's identical to the current model. This is most evident in the photo of the green/silver SR5. The blue Limited's running boards are also on par with the current Limited.

It seems like everyone should just take a deep breathe and wait until September when we can all make a much better and more fair assessment. I may hate it myself, but I don't think it's fair to pass judgement with just these photos. The one thing I keep in mind when looking at these, is that the guy who took them said that the new 4Runner made his look old. I got the feeling he was pretty impressed with the new design in person, and that the photos didn't do it justice. He told me on another forum that he wished that he would have taken more pics.

I'm hoping for a Toyota press release soon, but I really can't wait until September, or maybe sooner (?!), for the new 4Runner.
    "tbcreative" I agree with your assessment of the new 4Runner. You said "the new 'Runner looks like an updated, wind-swept version of the current model, with hints of the RAV4 and Sequoia, and a touch of the Trailblazer in the squared-off fenders". What really gets me is the hint of RAV4 in the front. A little too cute for me. Your right it does have some hint of the old 4Runner, maybe we should all wait until it comes out. Maybe it will look better in real life, then again maybe it won't.

(By the way I looked up your profile, I like your web site.)
    Why get the Ram NOW, with the new class-leading Hemi engine just a couple of months away? You jumped from one vehicle waiting for a major improvement, to ANOTHER truck missing a major piece of the puzzle? Now you'll have to say "I could-a had a Hemi V8!"

Anyway, I feel the headlights are overdone, they don't really mesh with the rest of the front end. But a brush/grille guard would fix that problem completely! The bigger dimensions in person should change any ideas of any 4Runner "cuteness"! 4Runners ain't cute!
  • goltgogoltgo Member Posts: 54
    At least initially, I agreed with jkulp's "cute-ute" assessment of the new 4Runner. I thought it looked lowered but was encouraged by tbcreative's post that it may be a misconception on my part. As has been pointed out on another message board, one can see the ghost of a Suzuki XL-7 in the rounded front nose, the prominent C pillar looks similar to the 2-door Chevy Blazer of the late 90's, and the squared-off fender flairs (esp. on the green 2003 4Runner) evoke the Chevy Avalanche (not a cute-ute, but did Toyota really have to borrow that design cue?). Also, you can't tell from the pictures, but I'd hate to see the rough n' tumble, functional skid plate of past 4Runners replaced by a gray plastic treatment to lower bumper.

All in all, it just makes me want to see it in person all the more...
    I went with the new Ram now because I do not want a Heavy Duty series ram (2500 & 3500) that is the only way you can get the Hemi, at least until around 2004 or so.

I went with the smaller V8, the 4.7 liter. I have heard alot of people complaining that the power isn't there...but I do absolutely zero towing, so it works great for me and have had no problem on very steep grades or passing. I went with it instead of the 5.9 because the 4.7 has the new transmission.

And if I ever want a little more power I can add a chip for $300

Another reason I went with the Ram is because of its big, bold presence (especially with the 20 inch wheels I got).

The 3rd generation 4Runner, while not nearly as big, has the bold, and muscular presence. The new one looks like a Jeep Liberty, or Rav4 to me....too much "cute-ute".

Again, maybe the new 4Runner will look better in person. If so, perhaps the wife will get one.

You seem to have at least some interest in the Ram. If your interested I will be posting some links to pictures of my truck in the Ram 1500 Quad Cab message board.
    No way! I'd get a Silverado or F-150 first. No doubt. Better re-sale, more torque/payload/towing. Probably the same economy. 0% Financing. I dig the Ram, but it's not ready..... yet. Almost!
  • beercoll1beercoll1 Member Posts: 88
    My wife was just involved in an accident today with her 2001 4-runner. The idiot/sob/ah/you get the picture clipped her on the right rear quarter panel, sheared off the rear wheel, and flipped the truck. Based on the eyewitnesses, and the preliminary investigation by the police, the idiot/sob/ah was going between 60 and 70MPH in a 40 zone.
    The right side of the truck was flattened, but my wife and 3 year old daughter escaped with only a bump on the head to my daughter. The truck definitely earned its marks today.
    This is just one more reason why the 2001 is my 3rd 4-runner, and why a 2003 will be my 4th(once I trade in my 94 with 130K on the odometer.
    Well I know this isn't a Ram forum....but I gotta defend my purchase.

Why I bought the Ram over:

Silverado: Silverado is a nice truck. I test drove it, but you can only get 4 doors with the HD series (which I did not want). They are also changing the front end to look more like the avalanche (big mistake in my opinion)

Toyota Tundra: I loved this truck during the test drive. But it's simply not big enough for my family of 5. I hear that Toyota will make a double cab Tundra in 2004, if so I very well may purchase !!!

Ford F-150: I have drove my relatives F-150. It just doesn't impress me. It's so plain jane looking...too ordinary. Reliablity is an issue, and the crash test on the 2002 F-150 was horrible. It placed last out of all full size extended cab trucks.

Why I chose the Ram:

Style: I like the style of the Ram over any other Trucks.

Comfort: Lots of room make this a comfortable highway cruiser, even with all 5 family members aboard.

Utility: 4 door truck: This was a must with 5 members in my family, and bed is still 6 feet 3 inches.

I really don't pay much attention to magazine reviews, but...Car and Driver, and FourWheeler agree with me as they both rated it #1 Truck of 2002.

Thanks
  • khuynhkhuynh Member Posts: 28
    Why is the 3rd gen 4Runner Limited's ground clearance is different for 2wd and 4wd, considering that both have the same tire size and same overall vehicle height:

10.2 2wd
    11.0 4wd

Why is that?? Where is the extra height from??
  • khuynhkhuynh Member Posts: 28
    I know that it is a Limited model color...but i have only seen it on 4wd models. Does Golden Pearl come in 2wd models???
  • jb330cijb330ci Member Posts: 2
    Khuynh, yes, Golden Pearl comes in 2WD Limited also. To my best knowledge it the new color option this year and I don't know they are going to have that color for 2003 or not.
    I just found out that new 4runners will be on sale in Costa Rica January 2003. For those of you buying 03 runners next september "Good luck" and push them to the limit (that´s why they are built for)