Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    All I can say is... WOW! AWESOME!!

I'd better not let Thelma Jane see those pics, cause she would pout unitl she gets that treatment. You can see what I've been talking about with the white body and black top, but Thelma doesn't look that good without the lift and the tires.

How much lettuce do you suppose that same lift, wheels, and tires would cost? If I had the money, I would do it in a heartbeat!

What would you guess the lift is on that Jeep and what size tires do you think those are?

T-Totally AWESOME!!!

Thanks for sharing that.

tsjay
  • Options
    2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    This is the 3rd time I have tried to post this tonight...

According to the site that led me to those pics, it has an 8" lift, 38x12.50 tires and 15x10 wheels. I think it looks more like 4-6" lift with 35" tires.
  • Options
    WOW.....IT WORKED!

I am getting a Skyjacker 4" lift, 33x12.50 BFG AT's, centerline Helcats installed on my TJ next Tuesday. It will be done on Thursday. I can't wait!

You can spend anywhere from $2,000-$4,500+ to have your TJ lifted with 33's and new wheels. It mostly depends on which lift you select. My lift cost $750, but some of the "rock-ready" lifts can cost $1,500+ For basic off-roading, most people don't need the double flex kits or anything like that.

My lift, wheels and tires will cost me almost $3,000 (installed). You can save about $400 by installing it yourself if you have the time, equipment and patience to do so. I will post some pics Thursday when I get it home!
  • Options
    What will a 4" lift and the bigger tires do to the handling, the acceleration, and the gas mileage on a Wrangler? The bigger tires should effectively give you a higher rear end ratio, so you should lose some acceleration, right? You might also get a little better gas mileage for the same reason, right?

What about your warranty? Will that lift screw it up?

The Jeeps look so darn good with those lifts and the bigger tires and wheels! I'm just wondering what negatives might come along with the positives.

Texasjeep, jump in here on this and tell us your opinion.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    I think you are right. Acceleration should be a bit worse, but I have the 5 speed, so I am not concerned about that since 1st gear is so low anyway, and yes on the open highway I should get a little better gas mileage.

My dealer said that the bigger tires would void the warranty on the seals on the transmission and rear end. With the Dana 44 I am not worried about that at all.
  • Options
    Do any of you use Yahoo Chat, mIRC or anything like that? I thought maybe we could get together once a week or something and we could all talk in real time. Any ideas??
  • Options
    tjytjy Member Posts: 39
    Hey everybody! I've been following your posts for a while and posted once a few weeks ago, but waiting for my lease to end so I can order my new TJ is making me crazy!!!!!!! I can't wait to at least put the order in, let alone take delivery! I've done all the research and know exactly what I want and what to pay and I think that is making it even harder to wait. In the meantime, I'm driving my wife crazy talking about my new TJ to be all the time.....any suggestions to help me get through the next 5 months or so? My lease is up July 31st, but I thought I'd order my TJ by May 1st so I can be sure it's here on time, and if it gets here quick...oh well, I'll just have to manage....hee hee hee.....
  • Options
    There is NO WAY I could wait five months once my decision was made. If I were in your situation, I would investigate the possibility of a five month drug-induced coma. Either that or figure some way to make the extra payments for five months and go ahead and get the Jeep now.

I waited only three weeks for my Thelma Jane to be built, and I didn't think I was going to survive! I had wrangler fever for several months before I actually made a deal and ordered one. I had just bought a new 2000 Grand Prix at the end of March, and it was soon after that that I caught the fever for a Jeep. I was so big time upside down on the Grand Prix that I just couldn't see any way to trade so soon. I finally couldn't stand it any more and took out a home equity loan to retire some of the debt on the Grand Prix in order to be able to buy the Wrangler. So, where there's a will, there's a way, if you are willing to do something stupid.

What are you leasing? I vaguely remember your earlier post, but I don't remember what you said you had. Is there a way to get out early, or would you owe them the same amount of money as if you finished your lease?

Tell us again what you are getting for color and options in your Wrangler.

Good Luck!

tsjay

I know you would love to be able to hug your Jeep today
  • Options
    I've never signed up for any chat rooms or anything like that, but I am on AOL, and they have this thing called "Instant Message," which allows you to chat with other AOL members.

I would be interested in participating if you get something set up.

In the mean time, just keep posting real often, and you can also feel free to email me. My email address is public in my profile, so give me a holler sometime, and I will be quick to get back to you.

tsjay
  • Options
    dragonfly03dragonfly03 Member Posts: 46
    I know that Spyrodragon and myself have AOL.

Alee and Sparx
  • Options
    Merry Christmas! Happy New Year!

And all of you please make a New Year's resolution to post more! You can get started right now.

tsjay
  • Options
    How's it going in your search for a place for us to chat?

Find something, and maybe a bunch of us could get together. I know I would enjoy it.

Merry Chistmas

tsjay
  • Options
    ttt6ttt6 Member Posts: 11
    testing
  • Options
    For those interested, I've debated on a TJ for months, this will be a second car. My original plan was a loaded Yellow or Silverstone Sport with the 30" tires and dual tops. BUT I think I'll go with a base Silver or metallic SE. I'll check my local paper for price leaders and take the plunge!!!....hopefullly by mid Feburary.!!!

question to those that have stereos, do you listen to the radio when you drive or is it just too noisy, I'm contemplating on whether to get the radio group I don't even think I want the back seat because I want that lockable storage box to go back there. I also plan on removing the doors when weather permits, what's it like driving without doors?

Happy Holidays
  • Options
    stallion5stallion5 Member Posts: 1
    i just got a new tj from a dealership in alabama that offered a bigfoot edition that includes a 3 inch lift kit 32 inch tires , chrome brush gruards front and rear , nerf bars , and a winch
    i love my jeep and i hugged it today
    aol is a good way of real time chatting

merry christmas
  • Options
    By all means, get the subwoofer option for your radio! It makes a world of difference in the quality of the sound.

I have a hard top, and the road and wind noise don't bother me when I am listening to the radio. I test drove a couple soft tops, and they were not bad at all for noise. They have improved the soft tops on the 2001's and have gone to 4-ply construction. I have no basis for comparison, since I never drove an older one with a soft top, but I can tell you the 2001's are not bad at all for noise.

Before you buy an SE, I hope you test drive and get out on the highway. Those 4-cylinder engines are probably fine for around town and playing off road, but if you plan on much highway driving, they are way under powered. If you ever drive into a headwind, you will know what I'm talking about. Even my 4.0 L had to work pretty hard the other day when I was traveling and going straight into a headwind.
    Jeeps are just about as un-aerodynamic as you can get: they catch every bit of wind. They say that at highway speeds, about 80% of a vehicle's engine power is used to overcome wind resistance. For a Jeep, it must be even higher than that.

Whatever you get, I hope you enjoy it. I know I am having a blast with my Thelma Jane!

For my two cents worth, go with the silverstone paint job. They are beautiful! I had a very difficult time deciding between white and silverstone.

tsjay
  • Options
    Howdy, Bro!

Did you get the bigfoot option? You said you bought a Jeep from a dealer that offered them, but I didn't understand this to mean that yours is equipped that way. Is it? It sounds really awesome!

Get some pics posted as soon as possible, whether yours is a bigfoot or not, OK? Tell us some more details about your Jeep!

Congratulations on the new Jeep!!!!

tsjay

I'm glad you hugged your Jeep today
  • Options
    spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    Get at least the overhead sound bar. I've got a 2000 wrangler with the old soft top for the summer and a hard top for the winter. But with the sound bar it puts out enough sound and is close enough to your ear that it sounds pretty good for a stock stereo system. It even sounds pretty good at 70 mph with the top down. I think it's a nice thing to have, especially to drown out that engine and wind noise on those long trips... but then again, isn't that noise what jeeps are for? I'm with tsjay, if your willing to spring for a little extra cash I suggest the 4.0L. It's a good bit more powerful and helps when passing. But then again the 2.5L will cruise at 70-75 in fairly stong wind conditions with no problem. If your ever going to get anything added on (oversized tires, brush guard, roof rack) I say go with the 4.0L because these things just push a 2.5L. As for driving without doors, the first time it's kinda weird because your like "Woah, hey there's the road right there!" but it's a totaly great feeling. You pull up beside someone and make them jealous because you know they think your cool. :) Windy, yes... But oh what a joy! As for the color, it's all personal opinions, I for one am partial to black because I think it's very elegant and beautiful looking on the road, but some say it's too dull and doesn't stand out enough. So I think I'm going to paint some flames on it or something like that. So just whatever you like, stick with it!
  • Options
    Everyone please post a get well message to "ottowrkr." He and his whole family have had the flu, and now he has a lung infection.

Hi, ottowrkr, GET WELL SOON! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

tsjay
  • Options
    Friend of a friend had a lung infection, it's not serious by itself, your friend should rid of it in a couple of weeks He or she'll do fine with your support :)

spyrodragon and tsjay, I hear your 4.0 vs 2.5 arguments, I'm thinking...

driving without doors is the FIRST thing I'll do, infact I'll DEMAND the dealer remove the doors before I take delievery (if weather permits :) I mean how often can you drive a vehicle without it's doors?
  • Options
    Don't let anyone talk you into anything. A four cylinder may be just fine for the type of use your Jeep will get. I have Thelma Jane as my only vehicle, and I have a 27 mile one-way drive to work, and I have to take business trips of up to 300 miles one way, so I need the extra power of the 4.0 L engine with all of the highway driving I do.

Just be aware that there is a MAJOR difference in the torque and horsepower between the two engines, and if the four cylinder is adequate for the way you expect to use your Jeep, then that's what you should get. Remember, also, that the resale value will be less with the four cylinder.

I strongly recommend that you do a lot of test driving with each engine before you decide. Get that four cylinder out on the highway, if you think you will be doing much highway driving with your Jeep. If you are satisfied with the power, then you ought to save the bucks and get an SE. They sure look every bit as good as the Sport, and I suppose they do very well off road too. (I cannot say, because I haven't off roaded with either engine yet.)

I wouldn't recommend the automatic transmission, though, if you go with the SE, especially if you want the 30" tires. That's just asking too much out of a 120 horsepower engine.

Hope this helps, but it's YOUR decision.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today? (you could hug your Jeep brochure, ttt6)
  • Options
    I have an SE and I love it. I can still pull Spyrodragon's Sahara (cough Sport cough) out of a creek. The winds will push you around in an SE and you do have to fight to get it up a hill, but I can deal with that. It isn't too much of a problem.

Just thought you'd like to have some input from a SE owner.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Alee and Sparx
  • Options
    Well, today it hit a warm 39 degrees, so I decided to give Sparx a nice bath since he had been muddy for almost a week now. I turn on th hose and realize that all the water in it is frozen solid. Sparx likes to get baths at home so that the other cars can't stare, but I had to go to a car wash. Sparx wasn't too happy with the idea and when we got there, the place was filled with SUVs and trucks of all kinds. Sparx was the dirtiest of them all. He loved showing off. All the other cars were jeolous. Sparx loved it.

But the point is, Sparx is clean. :o) FInally. Merry Christmas once again.

Alee and Sparx
  • Options
    I hope all of you had a great Christmas!
  • Options
    Hi everybody! Just wanted to add my sentiments to 2001wrangler's.

Have you all made that resolution to post more in 2001? You don't have to wait until then to start you know!

Merry Christmas!

tsjay
  • Options
    I updated my homepage today....
    http://www.zoomnet.net/~kpowell
    I will add some pics of my lift kit when I get my Jeep back in a couple days! It goes in tomorrow!!!!
  • Options
    tjytjy Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the response.....I was gone for the long weekend so I haven't been anywhere near my computer in a few days. I don't know how I'm going to wait through the next five months either! I've had Jeep Fever for years now and was always talked into something else so this time, there's not stopping me! I'm planning to order a 2001 TJ Sport with the 4.0L I-6, 5-spd manual, 30" Canyon wheels w/dana 44, 25d package, a/c, dual tops, track-loc, side-steps, add-a-trunk, cd player w/sub woofer, tow hooks and fog lights, speed control, tinted windows, basically the works. I plan on getting the Sienna with black tops......I haven't really investigated an early termination on my current lease, past experience has shown the only way out is to pay the amount left which makes no sense economically. I guess I really don't have much choice but to wait it out....we'll see.....
  • Options
    sthugginssthuggins Member Posts: 13
    I really want a spare tire ski rack for my wrangler. I have the 30inc tire pkg. Jeep says the spare tire ski rack will not fit I/ the 30 inch tire pkg. Does anyone have a spare tire ski rack that fits on this tire pkg?
  • Options
    VolareVolare Member Posts: 15
    I'm looking into getting a 91 wrangler and was wondering if there is anything that i should watch out for. It has a 5 speed and 4 cylinder and the guy is asking $4000. Our friends have a 89 4cylinder, 5 speed that had to have the engine rebuilt after driving it for 8 hours straight. Is this normal?
  • Options
    I looked several places, but I could not find a ski rack that would fit on a 30" tire. Most of them are for the roof.
  • Options
    Sounds like you're going to have a really nice Jeep! I got pretty much the same equipment, but just the hard top, not dual. I didn't know the value of trac loc when I ordered Thelma Jane, so she doesn't have that. I wish I had known what a good option that was before I ordered.

Sienna with black tops sounds like it ought to look GOOD! I like your choice of wheels too. I have canyons on Thelma Jane too.

Hope you survive the wait. Good Luck.

tsjay

• Options
    Hey, all of you Jeep buddies of mine:

I have created my first web page, but it isn't about Thelma Jane. This one is about my best friend in the whole world, Ross Allen Johnson, my granddog. I am waiting on some pics of Thelma Jane, and then I will create her a page. I should have it easier with Thelma's page after learning some of the basics on this first web page.

Please take a minute to look at Ross' page and let me know what you think, ok?

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/raj.html

Thanks

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep (and your dog) today?
  • Options
    iowajeepiowajeep Member Posts: 3
    I have posted this message or a similar one three times so if it is floating around somewhere and you've read this before, I am not really losing my mind ?????, I just haven't figured out the system yet!

I got JEEP FEVER about mid Nov when a friend of mine let me drive his 97 Wrangler for a day while he used my pickup. I knew that I was going to have to get one so I started looking at all the sites including this one for more info. I have learned alot from your posts and I say THANKS for the help.
    I couldn't find what I wanted at a Jeep dealer (hardtop, 5 sp, air, 6 cyl, nice wheels) new or used. I finally found one that was almost what I wanted (about $200 over invoice) so I called the dealer and drove 40 miles ready to buy. They sold it just before I got there and the dealer just couldn't understand why I didn't just pick out another one (even though the others were exactly the opposite of what I wanted). To make a long story short, after watching all classifieds, auto traders, shoppers, and dealer web sites, I found (at a Cad-Chev dealer) a used 98 with 19000 miles, hardtop, 5 sp, 6 cyl, air, alum wheels and it's red and black. I have driven 4 wd vehicles (pickups, Jimmys, Yukon, etc) since 1970 but this is my first JEEP and it is more fun than I imagined!

A while back someone suggested that Bestop in the top to use and not SteelHorse. If the Steelhorse top is anything like the Steelhorse running boards I just put on, I can understand the problem. There is nothing complicated about running boards unless they are Steelhorse. The directions don't tell you how to identify the left and right parts so you almost have to put them on to figure it out, then the directions talked about the 5/16 bolts, nuts, etc. Well, some were 5/16 and some were metric. Maybe I am being to picky but I will stay away from Steelhorse.
    One more comment to the new readers--these guys (and gals) that post on this site know what they are talking about. THANKS again...
  • Options
    Congrats on that jeep! I know all about wrangler fever, and there is only one cure.

I can't help you with your top selection, since I'm just a rookie Jeep owner. I only post this to congratulate you.

tsjay

• Options
    texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    Hey

Your site looks good. Not bad at all for your first one. Sounds like you have a really cool dog. You will have to take him out Jeepin without the top on sometime. Just make sure you secure him properly. I didn't realize you are so uh.. uh mature?
    I guess the Jeep brings out the kid inside us.
  • Options
    posting
    Make sure you copy whatever you write before you post. Then when the system loses your post as it always does. You paste it back and the try to post it again. I think you have to be real quick about posting or your message won't post.

It is basically a known fact that steelhorse sucks. There products have a big problem with rust. I have heard that some of there products work.
    iowajeep
    Sounds like you got a nice Jeep. Glad your lovin it
  • Options
    sthugginssthuggins Member Posts: 13
    I found a ski/snowboard/bike rack all in one that fit's the 30inch tire pkg. It's at http://www.gorillasportrack.com/
    Just thought I would pass it along.
  • Options
    You guys didn't make your email addresses public, so I don' know how to send you any pics. I have some Thelma Jane pics on the photoworks.com web site that I will send you, if you email me first (so I'll have your email address). My email address is public in my profile, so just look it up.

And just exactly what do you mean by "so mature," Mr. Texasjeep? Are you trying to say that you are surprised that I am such an old fart?
    Well, old farts like Jeeps to you know! Don't worry, you didn't hurt my feelings- just having some fun with you. I am 51 years old, so I think that qualifies me as an old fart, doesn't it?

What do you think about 2001wrangler's idea of a weekly chat session for the wrangler IV people (or anybody else that is intersted in Jeeps)? We need to set something up. Any ideas?

Is there already a chat session that we could join in on?

Later, Youngsters

tsjay

• Options
    Weekly chat session sounds good. AOL chat would be easy to use but I don't think everyone has it. We need to look into finding a chat out on the web that we could use. They have a chat on edmunds but it is for scheduled events. Maybe they will set it so we can start our own chats or have a Jeep Wrangler IV chat.
    Some off-road sites have chat rooms but I have never messed with them.
    old fart - you said it, not me. You are as young as you feel. Which puts me around 70 something.
  • Options
    saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    send me the pics of thelma. I think you have my address, if not you can pic it up at my site.

www.angelfire.com/geek/jeep/

by the way, about your age....

in my country they say that the hills are old, and they are still pretty green.
  • Options
    I hope to have a very simple little web page built by sometime tonight for Thelma Jane, but in the mean time, please check out Ross Allen's web page again. I have added more to it.

I don't have enough pics of Thelma Jane yet to do much of a web page, and the pics I do have are not as good as I had hoped they would be.

Check out http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/raj.html and see the stuff I've added.

tsjay
  • Options
    saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    nice dog santa pic!
  • Options
    Ok, I told you it wouldn't be much, and it's not. So, please don't be disappointed. I have too few pics to do much right now.

For what it's worth:

http://members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

I want everyone to know that good old dragonfly03 taught me how to do a web page, so I owe her my thanks. That woman is bad to the bone at this stuff!

tsjay
  • Options
    wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    This is my first post, hope I can figure it out.

First- I have had a 2000 red sport ,auto, black soft top for about a year now. No problems. I am 62. That puts me in the old art class for sure.
    mine is a run around town jeep. I love it.

Second - From the photos, it looks like we support the same NASCAR driver.

I have been reading posts here for over a year. This is a great group.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to ALL.
  • Options
    wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    So much for trying to use the spell check.
    Old "art" class? I am an old fart.
  • Options
    I second that, nice to finally see Thelma Jane, and nice sites too!!!
  • Options
    From one old fart to another, welcome to the world of posting!

You shouldn't have been bashful about posting. I don't see how you could be here for a year without posting somehing! You must not be a big mouth like me.

Now that you've broken the ice, let's hear from you on a regular basis. This group, like any other, will wither and die without people posting.

Go #88! I admire your choice of drivers. It's going to be sad not seeing our boy driving a car with the Ford Quality Care colors next year. That was a really nice looking car. I haven't seen the U.P.S. paint job yet, but it can't be as sharp as that old car.

tsjay

• Options
    chefrkmchefrkm Member Posts: 34
    I have a question? I need to mount a CB antenna to my 2001 TJ. Any Ideas where I should mount it? Or should I just go with a magnet antenna? Also do I have to 'tune' it? I dont even know what the hell that means....

I am leaving to move back to Las Vegas and I need to have my CB for the trip. Any help will be great!
  • Options
    iowajeepiowajeep Member Posts: 3
    I'm glad this age thing came up. I figured you would all silently chuckle if you found out that I am 56 and just bought a Jeep. The old farts like to have fun too!!
  • Options
    Iowajeep:

Glad to know there's another old fart around here.

tsjay