Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    Mac; Thanks for the link. The one I mentioned was the exact same kit for $950. I will remember that site.

Texasjeep: I am not really too interested in the CJ's for basically three reasons.
    1. The CJ's are not fuel injected. Tom tells me there are places in Turkey Bay, where I will be joining him, that the carbuerated engines have a hard time staying lit.
    2. Most of the CJ's have WAY more rust-out than I care to deal with. All that I have looked at recently have rusted out floorpans. I don't want to either see the ground under my feet nor have to rebuild it before I take it out the first time.
    3. The price of the decent CJ's is not far off of what I can get a late YJ or early TJ for.

I know the CJ's are incredible Jeeps. Heck, they wouldn't be so popular amongst the hotrodders if they weren't. But I'm not interested in blasting through the woods with a punched out 350, not that I'm implying all CJ'ers do that. I'm more of a "tread lightly' kind of person.

Tom: Is that Jeep sitting somewhere so that you could give me a first impression of it? If it is a manual and in the condition it should be for 68k miles, I would be willing to go $5,500 eventhough it is a '95.

That Jeep with the gear out is really just almost exactly what I am looking for. 4-banger, 5 speed, no radio, no carpet, new top and soft doors, 96k miles, 2" body lift, no rust, no body damage of any kind that I could see, 31" tires, but no back seat - that can be fixed though. He is asking $4,500. But, he's had it for a while. So, I'm thinking about paying him a visit tomorrow and low balling him. How does $3,500 sound? Maybe even $3,000. Just depends on how adventureous(?) I am.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Heck, if the Jeep is all that you want it to be except for the tranny and the absence of a back seat, then, yeah, go for it, if you can get it for $3500.

I might be able to check that Jeep in Madisonville out for ya, but I don't know if the lady would come down that far or not. If I can find out where it is, I will try to take a look at it for ya.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Anybody have any idea what a complete rebuild on the YJ 5-speed might run or what an average salvage yard tranny might run????
    If it will be any inconvenience at all, don't worry about it. I kinda' doubt she'll come down that far either. Of course, it never hurts to ask. I know when I am trying to sell something, I try to get the potential buyer to shoot me a price, no matter how low it is, if they think my price is too high. I never get offended at that. All I have to do is say no. I'll haggle on just about anything. I expect the buyer to haggle with me, and therefore I expect the seller to haggle with me also. Unless it is an exceptional deal to start with, I'll walk away if the seller won't budge.
    When ya gonna ride shotgun with me???

Meet me at Turkey Bay some Saturday morning. (Like maybe THIS Saturday morning :) )

Tom

P.S.

Just got your email, so I know ya can't go this Saturday, but I want you to go with me sometime. I am there practically every Saturday. I might be going Sunday too this weekend, but I guess your company will still be there, huh?
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I've never priced out a tranny for a Wrangler, but I did check out prices a couple of years ago for used and rebuilt auto trannys for a Nissan pickup. They ran about $1200 for a used and $1600 for a rebuilt tranny out here. Of course, that was about 3-4 years ago, and I'm told that autos are a whole lot more expensive than manuals, so this might not be much help.

But even assuming you replace the tranny at $1200 and you buy it at $3500. You would end up with the vehicle you really want for less than $5000. Sounds good to me.
  • jptjjptj Member Posts: 53
    EBAY has/had AX15 Trans for as low as 200.00 up to 675.00.(Buy now price)
    Hope this helps

Walt
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Man, you've been busy posting!

I don't know what happened with the pic. It was there when I looked.

I have a regulare website, but I haven't updated it in eons.

As for my yahoo, I need to login and clear it out, but I have to dial in - my work account blocks the email.

I'll email ya in a bit.

-Paul
    Found a 98 TJ SE at a dealership in Owensboro. It's at Skillmans Auto Sales, but I guess I ain't supposed to post contact information here???

They have it listed for $6995, which I know is higher than your price range, but it is nice. Red with black soft top, and the guy says it's really clean. No air and no back seat. Has 93,000 miles on it. It's a five speed and has the original "el cheapo" Jeep wheels.

I asked the guy if he had any room to work on the price, and he said they have $5890 in it, and they have to make $1000 minimum, so they will take $6890 for it.

Jim, your top price of $5500 almost certainly eliminates any TJs, unless you find one of those crazy, super deals that come along once in a blue moon.

I strongly advise you that, if any way possible, you increase your limit to $7000. That would open up a world of possibilities for ya. I KNOW you could find a TJ for that kind of money.

Remember, a TJ bone stock can go LOTS of places at Turkey Bay.

Tom

that Jeep this morning. It drives well. The steering is very tight on it, I kept darting from one side of the road to the other. It would cruise at 50 mph in 4th gear at about 2,200 rpms. However, every synchronizer in that tranny is shot, grinds in EVERY gear. But, everything else seemed to work on it. I couldn't get the guy to go below $4,250. I offered him $3,500. I just don't know if I want to spend that much on this Jeep, then have to drop about another grand on a tranny/tranny work.
    I got distracted during that last post, so you got yours in before I finished mine.

You keep saying a TJ is off-road ready out of the box. I'm going to put you on the spot here. How can a TJ be so much better off-road than a stock YJ when both have the same size tires, and therefore the same ground clearance? I understand suspension articulation, but the ground clearance thing has got to be the major limiting factor.
    You already said the magic word, "articulation." You keep your tires on the ground better when you articulate better, and with open differentials, all ya gotta do is get one tire in the air, and the other one on the same axle will not pull ya.

Also, remember, a stock TJ will handle 31" tires, while a stock YJ limits you to 30" tires or smaller.

Tom

P.S. Nope, Jim, in most cases, at Turkey Bay at least, the limiting factor is more often traction than ground clearance.
    Well, that was the answer I was looking for. The TJ can handle larger tires when stock.
    Tom, correct me if I'm wrong here, but the TJ suspension doesn't use the leaf springs front and rear like the YJ. As a result, you won't get the flexibility and articulation that the TJ's suspension can handle. Yes, you can modify both to get acceptable performance, but in this case, I'd rather spend less to get the performance level I want.

-Paul
    Correct. It's the coil springs all the way around that make the TJ flex MUCH more than the YJ, when both are in stock configuration. (And, the ride quality on the highway is MUCH better with the coil springs.)

I am by no means putting down the good old YJ, cause lots of my wheelin buds drive those puppies, and some of them go places that I can't go right now. BUT... they have modified their Jeeps with lifts, bigger tires, lockers front and rear, etc.

It is only when compared stock to stock that the YJ takes a back seat to the TJ. BUT... think about the great flex a TJ has stock, and then think about adding some goodies to it! :)

Tom

• twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    don't forget to disconnect your front sway bar for maximum articulation in stock form. :-)

-twylie
    I actually got something right! :)

*happy dance*

My new top's back window is defective. Bestop didn't seal the window to the cloth correctly. They're making a new window and shipping it to me priority. Not bad. :)

JC Whitney originally wanted me to ship back the entire top - line THAT was going to happen. :)

-Paul
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    mtngal,
    Not sure if you have seen this write up on the dash fix. Sounds easy. ;)
    http://www.jeepmadness.com/guages.htm

Articulation:
    You also want more than your Jeep to flex real well but the complete suspension to work together. If the tire just touches the ground it still won't do much unless it has some downward pressure. That is why I am planning on taking my disconnects off and going with a currie anti-rock and see how it does.
    The YJ and TJ can have different ground clearance even with the same tires. The axle clearnace will be the same but the other areas could be different.
    I think YJs should be cheaper to lift but I am not sure which kits or mods you have to do to get the performance of a lifted TJ.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Does it matter? They're all Jeeps! Jeep=Fun! :-)

Hug your Jeeps for me!

Marlon
    ANY Jeep is better than no Jeep. ANY Jeep would be cool to have.

Jim's main purpose for his Jeep is to play around off road, so we are trying to help him get the most capable Jeep he can for the money he has to spend.

If he ends up with a YJ, that's cool. But, he will be able to immediately start wheelin' and gettin' around real good if he gets a TJ.

Tom

• boredbored Member Posts: 300
    That's what I meant. :-) Jeeps are fun no matter which model you get!

As for offroadability, if I have learned anything so far, stock for stock, it's TJ hands down. However, once modded, YJ and TJ then compete. I don't know anything about CJs, except that under the skin, they're a higher version of the YJ, so I've read.
  • hypehype Member Posts: 16
    Hi. I was going to do a radiator flush on my Wrangler X which will be turing 2 years old next month. Any comment as to using a chemical flush? (I have read that the chemical flush may do more harm than good?) Is it prudent to just flush the system w/ H2O? Also, any merit to the idea of using the same (stock-Mopar) coolant that is used presently? Does it matter?
    Would like to hear from others on this, but I don't think a flush is necessary, if you keep your coolant changed out every couple years.

I didn't bother flushing my radiator... just drained and put in fresh antifreeze. I did NOT use the Mopar stuff. I used the commonly sold Prestone. The FSM says it's OK to use an ethylene glycol based antifreeze that has organic rust inhibitors, and the Prestone fit that description.

The factory orange stuff is supposedly good for five years or 100 K miles, but I ain't leavin' nothin' in my radiator that long!

Be sure and buy some distilled water to mix with the antifreeze.

I don't think there is any reason to worry about getting all of the orange stuff out of the system. You will have some in the block, if you only drain the radiator and don't do a flush of the entire system. I didn't do that: just drained the radiator.

Tom

I called the lady about that YJ for sale in Madisonville, but she didn't answer. I left two messages, but she never called back, so I guess she might have sold the Jeep.

Tom

• 01r101r1 Member Posts: 280
    Yeah Tom, I'm still around. I took a little vacation to the desert, but am back now. Just lurking on this board. Lots of good info being posted, not much I can add.

My desert trip wasn't in the Wrangler (I know, shoot me). We had four adults and LOTS of stuff for our 3000 miles trip. Couldn't fit it all in the Jeep and we needed A/C for the seriously hot parts of Death Valley and the Mojave. We stayed in Vegas and did day trips out and about sight seeing. Valley of Fire SP and Red Rock Canyon NCA are very cool if you're ever in Vegas and awake during the day :)

Here's a link over to the Pilot photo gallery: 01r1 "Pilot Owners: Photo Gallery" Sep 25, 2003 8:50pm

-Pete
    Good to finally hear from ya again! Wondered where you had been.

You don't have to have anything earth-shaking to say just to post a message once in a while! Geez, we need to know you're alive and kicking.

Tom

texasjeep - Yes, I had seen that page and had pretty much decided to try it myself. And then a co-worker of mine gave me an article about auto do-it-yourself projects that go wrong and how expensive they can be. So I decided to think about it some more.

Pete - I'll have to wait to look at your photos until I get to work tomorrow - my home connection is WAY too slow!
    Today I looked at two Jeeps, the one from this morning and one this afternoon on my way home.

The one from this morning, that I mentioned earlier, stacks up like this. It is a '94 or '95, new Bestop and soft doors and also no side mirrors, good body, no rust anywhere to be found, no carpet, no back seat, no radio, everything works, tranny is shot, 95k miles, engine is strong, new 31x10.50 tires, 2" body lift, $4,250.

The one from this afternoon is a '94, average top with solid half doors and soft uppers, outside mirrors(which I like if I'll be driving this thing on the road), good body, only rust found was the tailgate, all the seats, carpet, radio, everything seems to work, tranny seems fine, 147k miles, engine is not as strong(it would barely accelerate from 60 mph on flat ground), mismatched tires(two of which need replacing and the other two are a street tread), 2" shackle lift, $5,000.

Of the two, I'm beginning to think the first one is the better deal. At $4,250 I could still spend $750 on a tranny rebuild and have no more in it than the second Jeep and have a tranny that I know is in good shape. Also, the cheaper one has a new Bestop and doors, new matching tires, no rust anywhere, and the more PITR to install body lift. Now, it doesn't have a back seat, but that can be cured for less than $100 and I can add a 2" shackle lift easily enough. What are they, slightly under $100?

What do you think? Should I bite or pass these up and see what else comes along?
    Like you, I see the first one as a better deal, all things considered. I believe a manual tranny can be had for $750, or probably well under that.

Are you a pretty good mechanic, Jim? If you can do a lot of mechanical work yourself, so that you don't have to pay someone else to do it, then a fixer upper might be the way to go.

I still say cough up the extra bucks, if you possibly can, and get yourself a TJ. :)

I don't know anything about lifting a YJ, Jim, but I hope Mac or someone can help you to know what lifts are available and at what prices.

Tom

Just got finish time for my wife birthday with “ Sally” the 91 yj. I Paid 4000.00. She came home with a new (less than a year old) sleel horse soft top, new tires, a 2” body lift and a 1-½ shackle lift. She ran great but when I turn the wheel a full turn it was like she was fighting to stay strait so I sent her to Ronnie’s auto shop for a complete check up; Ronnie is a Jeep person from way back. All he found was that she needed a little front end work and a rear axel bearing. The 2” plastic lift had some cracks in them so I had a 1” poly. Lift install. This will make getting in a little easier for Mary and still have room for the 31s. I all so got a new soft top from Bestop. The steelhorse made to much noise (the snaps) With all the work and the new top, wheels I still have lest than 6000.00 in her. And she is ready for the road or some light trail running. And I agree with bord that all SWB Jeep are fun.
    Walt
    Good deal! I know Sally is proud of her new stuff. Thelma Jane is always happy to get stuff.

So, you gotta a Jeep Chick wife? That is COOL! Does Mary like to off road?

Tom

The more I think about that first Jeep with the bad tranny, the more I am beginning to think it IS the better deal. I'm no certified mechanic by any means, but in most situations, I can hold my own against most guys who are mechanics. My garage is fairly well equipped. I don't have many specialty tools, but I do have a decent array of hand tools. I recently put a 7" lift on a golf cart with no trouble, so I think I can handle a 2" or 3" lift on a Jeep.

I don't think I'll be able to swing a TJ. Unless I happen to trip over another deal like that one on Ebay last week. The problem is that my Jeep budget is very closely tied to what I can get out of my bike plus some cash I have saved up. I could go probably $6,500, but then I wouldn't have anything left for all the other necessities. Such as a small lift for even the TJ, tow straps, CB (which I may have one lying around), winch, maybe upgrading that D35 with the Superior Super35 axle kit with Detroit locker, etc...

If money were no object, or at least less of one, I'd be happy to shell out $7,500 or so on an early TJ. I agree with you, the TJ should be the better off-roader, even when against a heavily modded YJ. The coil spring suspension is so nimble. But, I digress.
    "I could go probably $6,500, but then I wouldn't have anything left for all the other necessities."

Jim, if you get yo'self a TJ, there aren't a lot of other necessities. :) Just get in it, and hit the trails with me.

All ya need is the cheapest CB you can find... got mine at Walmart for about $40. Spend a few bucks for some coax and a cheap antenna. All that should be well under $100.

Your Jeep just MIGHT have tow hooks on it already, but, if not, we're not talking a lot of money for those puppies.

A tow strap ain't no biggie either... under $40.

Oh, another reason to get a TJ... maybe as I get a chance to further mod Thelma Jane, you could buy some of my used stuff for cheap. :) Also, having done a few minor things to Thelma Jane, I know a little about the TJ and could help ya install mods or something.

Jim, old boy, I'm with ya which ever way ya go. I just want ya out there on the trails with me. Do whatcha gotta do, but GET A JEEP! :)

If you end up with a YJ, get a little lift on it and some good mud tires, and we'll conquer Turkey Bay together.

Tom

Does Mary like to off road?
    Yes: It all started back in 96 when I got my first TJ and I left her my CJ to use in the farm. At first I did all the driving when we went off road, but now she goes anyplace that she wants. In fact it is her idea that we go to jeep camp in 2004.

Walt
    Who here has been to Camp Jeep?

I have 2 jeeps in my family: the TJ y'all have seen and heard probably way too much about and a 2000 Grand Cherokee. I like driving it offroad, but the wife doesn't like me to do that too much. I'm trying to talk her into another TJ for me and my Boy Scouts. :) We'll see what happens with that.

-Paul
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    So, you play a lot of off-road golf Jim?

Steve, Host
    Man, the way I play golf, I almost need a Hummer!!
    I think that golf cart of yours has more lift than a Hummer!

Steve, Host
    I'd LOVE to see a 7" lifted golf cart. :) Got some pics?

You should replace the body of it and make it look like a TJ! :) Then Tom could buy it, paint it white and give it to his granddaughter for when she's old enough to reach the pedals. :)

-Paul
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    I have never been to Camp Jeep but I have been wanting to go. It is more family/activity oriented though. I have been to several Jeep Jamborees and those are 2 days of Jeeping. They have gotten real expensive and some of them are boring.

I saw a Jeep down here I thought about buying. It was a willy's with chevy axles, tranny, t/c and a 305. It was on 38s. Very nice. He was asking $4000. If I had something to tow it with I would buy it.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I had a great time. It is family oriented but to me thats what made it great. The trick to doing the trails is make sure you pre-register for activities one of them being a trail. You can go on several trail in a one day period if there is room and your signed up. I went to the trail tent and signed up for trails everday. There were many jeeps going on different trails and we moved very slowly and many times were waiting on the trail. However, by the end of the trail everyone was laughing and joking like ole friends. Its a good time.
    Got a chance to look at your photos today - they are really awesome! I'd love to know what you took them with (camera or film) - the colors were so saturated. I've taken photos in some of the same places without coming anywhere close to the quality of yours!

I keep saying I'm going to do an organized Jeep event, but it never quite works out for me. Either I don't have the bucks or I don't have the time or I'd have to take off my running boards. Next Jeep I get I'll get without boards and then add nerf bars to or something like that. By the way, is the term "nerf" and what does it stand for? I've never known.
    Gill's server died, so itsajeep.org is down.

Tom

We're never down.

Well, hardly ever :-)

Steve, Host
    Get us a 24-7 chat room here in Edmunds just for Jeepers! Can ya have that done by Monday? :)

Tom

I thought you might like those, after reading your comments every now and then about going to Vegas and finding dirt roads, I thought you'd know where those areas are.

I used my digital camera, the Canon EOS-10D. The colors aren't over-saturated from the camera, that's just the way everything looked. That area sure is different from what I'm used to, you know, green everywhere!

If I remember right, you've got the Sony DSC-F717, right? A couple of tips... First, take the White Balance off Auto. Try to always use the manual mode (e.g. Sunlight, Incandescent, etc...), specifically the Sunlight White Balance mode for these areas. The nice thing about digital cameras is they're easy to experiment with to get it just right.

Next thing, use a circular polarizer. I was able to 'warm' the colors with mine. They aren't just for wet, reflective surfaces.

Lastly, the time of day is very important. Your magic hours for photography are around sunrise and sunset. It's hard to get the colors out at high noon. My pics were all around sunset.

There's some more tricks to getting just the right color, but these are the biggies. Let me know if you'd like any more pointers.

-Pete
    Just checked out your pics. Man! Beautiful!!!

You got the talent, dude! The Good Lord gets the credit for that scenery, but YOU did a great job of capturing it.

Tom

The floorboard of the golf cart hits me right at the knee. I can actually go over bigger obstacles with 2wd than most any 4-wheeler as long as I don't get hung up on the rear axle. If I can get to it, I'll try to get some pictures today and attempt to link to them.

Well, guys, I did it this morning! I bought a '95 Wrangler. This is the one with the bad tranny. I'll be going tomorrow with the flatbed to pick it up. I'll try to get a few pictures of it up as well.

MY BANK ACCOUNT WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE ON THIS SITE THAT HAS GIVEN ME A SERIOUS CASE OF JEEPITIS!!!! Especially you, Tom.
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    sounds like a good deal. Now if i can find one with the options i want....