Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Still at the Top of Its Game

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • dustyonedustyone Posts: 262
    Does anyone know where the GM SUV VIN decode site is? I have a new Suburban on the way from Mexico and was given the VIN by the dealer yesterday. It is 3GNGK26U91G25xxxx. I want to verfiy the options. Thanks
  • jamesk4jamesk4 Posts: 55
    Has anyone had any experience with a wind deflector mounted on the rear of the vehicle to keep dust from building up on the back window?

I have a 2001 YXL and would appreciate your comments. Also, if you know of a good company, please let me know.

p.s. most apply using 3-M double sided tape, does this hold up?
  • don4341don4341 Posts: 69
    Since my brother Don is up on blocks I thought I would use his Service Manual to decode your VIN.

Apparently the VIN`s are not the same for the year 2000 and the year 2001 Manuals. For what its worth here is the decode as far as I can go with the year 2000 Service Manual.

3 = Country of Origin = Mexico*****************
    G = Manufacturer = General Motors************
    N = Make ??????????? B = Chevrolet D = GMC******
    G = GVWR/Brake System = 8001-9000/Hydraulic*******
    K = Truck Line/Chassis Type = Conventional Cab/4x4
    2 = Series = 3/4 Ton***************
    6 = Body Type ????? 4=Regular Cab 9=Extended***
    U = Engine Type = 6.0 Liter Gas ( LQ4 )*****
    9 = Check Digit***************
    5 = Model Year ???? = Y=2000***************

Sorry that I can`t give you full info.

Irv.
  • don4341don4341 Posts: 69
    Stopped to eat and missed giving you the last 3 bits of info from the year 2000 Service MANUAL:

G = Plant Location = Silano Mexico********
    25 = The last or 12th thru 25th Digit = Plant
    Sequence Number.
    Thats all fokes.

Irv.
  • snug38snug38 Posts: 6
    I had been using the following link for service bulletins, service manuals and recall notices from GM. htpp://si2kgmd:[email protected]/si2000/home.html
    Now when I try to go to this site it asks for user name and password. Does anyone know how to register for this site?
  • I ordered a Suburban 2500 w/8.1 almost 14 weeks ago. It finally came in but with only half the options I ordered. The dealer said GM screwed up. Missing is the towing package, block heater, & skid plates. Does anyone know if these options can be added after the fact and still be per factory? The dealer is telling me that they can except for the towing package oil cooler which will be an after-market product.

Any comments on this would be appreciated.
    The site has had a User ID and password added. You must buy the manuals from Helms (and you wondered when it would happen, since there is no free lunch).

Thanks for the decode Irv (Don's brother). The vehicle is a 2001 LT 2500 4x4 suburban, with 6.0 liter engine. It has autoride, 3.73 rear locker and towing package, rear captains seats, all the goodies except sunroof (to get the rear a/c controls).
  • larrys7larrys7 Posts: 35
    Lund makes a rear deflector. Make sure where it is attached it is CLEAN & WARM. Lifetime warranty if you have a problem. Keep your receipt & send in warranty card. We have installed many - only a couple come back. Just make sure when you stick on do NOT try to relocate it. One time deal. Also hold it up since they come in smoke - Currently painting one for a customer now. Will look so much better painted. I have one in my shop for my 01 Denali XL - will decide if I want it on next week.

Had a customer go from 245's to 285's on a 2500HD two weeks ago. Service Manager kinda give him a run around about changing the computer. I called & set up an appointment & everyone is happy - DONE. No big deal. If you would like more info email & I could find out more for you...
  • skipjack2skipjack2 Posts: 29
    My new Suburban just turned a little over 3000 miles and the "Check Engine Oil" light came on. I had just loaded my boat to tow back home from fishing trip, a total of 230 miles round trip. The level was below the "Add Oil" indicator and I put a quart in. I have never added a quart of oil between changes in my last three Chevy's, 91 Silverado, 95 yukon and 97 Tahoe. I tow a 8000 LB boat and trailer. I have made this trip 4 times since I got the new Suburban. I have been getting 8.4/5 miles per gallon, towing, which includes going through Gainesville, Fl and two small towns, coming and going. Mixed city/hiway non towing driving is running about 12.5 MPG and hiway about 15. How does this compare???
    I have thought about upgrading to 265's from the 245 tires that came with the truck. Right now, I am towing in over drive and it will stay there even going over an overpass, if I nurse it a little. Will I lose this going to 265's?? I am runing at 2000/2100 RPM at 60 MPG towing in O-Drive. Passing can get up in the 4000/4500 range out of over drive. The over drive does not kick in till 55 mph in the tow haul position. If you change tires, did you stick with the 10 ply or go down to 8 ply or lower?? Much difference in the ride quality with the Michlens?? Except for the oil usage, I am happy with the new truck so far. I was hoping for better gas mileage. It has been as low as 6 or 7 MPG in just short local trips. I would like to go to larger tires to reduce the ratio, if my OD will still function close to the present level. Any feed back appreciated. Skipjack
  • stakeoutstakeout Posts: 173
    I have a '99 Chevy Subn 1500 4wd.. had the same thing at 2K miles .. mainly ' sitting' at a traffic light and starting forward.. 'thump' from rear end.. brought it in to Chevy.. they knew about it.. said there was a Tech Svc Bulletin on it.. and that the cure was to change the rear end( rear differential) fluid to another type .... I now have 40K miles.. never heard it again... must have been the fix ..

I did check on the NHTSA site at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ and they don't list that particulat TSB.. you might want to 'search their site with your make model year for any recalls/ TSB's

• rhanson3rhanson3 Posts: 69
    Does anyone have any experience with back-up sensor's. I would like to put one on my new XL. Thanks
    check out discussion and installation instructions on

www.delphi.com/gmsuv

Some have installed the poron backup senors on the YXL
  • burbx7burbx7 Posts: 1
    plan on purcshing a 2001 yukon XL 1/2 ton 2 W D,can anyone give me some feed back as to towing stability of the new coil springs vs the old leaf spring set up. will be towing a two axle trailer and a car.
    thanks
  • rauch56rauch56 Posts: 4
    I have a Yukon with liftgate and I installed a Lund Windjammer rear deflector. It does help, but not as good as some of the straight metal types that used to come stock from the factory years ago. It attaches with tape and hold very well. Looks cool too!
  • ssmilesssmiles Posts: 35
    Anyone out there take delivery on a 2001 Chevrolet Suburban Z71 yet? Ordered mine back on March 1st, dealer says all they received is an order acknowledgment from the plant in Mexico.
    Even thought I did not order a Z71, I ordered all but. I ordered an all option '01 2500 LT 4WD, autoride Suburban on 3/6/01. Received from the dealer the order letters (6 letters DDVRQx) on 3/12. Tracking file was created and opened with customer service on 3/12 (1-800-222-1020, option 3) and given a Target Production Week of 3/26/01. On 3/19, I checked and they stated was still on target to be built during 3/26. Checked 3/30 and they stated that the unit was built on 3/28. Expected to be at dealer on 4/15. Hope this helps
    Fred
  • turk16turk16 Posts: 1
    I'm interested in purchasing either one of these bug deflectors, likely over the internet. I prefer the one which is the "lower profile" but I really can't determine that from pictures I've seen. Can anyone who has seen both of these bug deflectors offer guidance? Which is "sleeker"? I really don't want one which sticks up in the air too much or protrudes from the side. Also, can anyone who lives in the snowbelt offer advice regarding removing snow from behind the deflector in the winter?
  • I have the Lund Interceptor and it sits off the hood just enough to get you hand behind to clean the hood. I really like it. The interceptor also does not have any plastic bumpers or other devices that have to attach to the top of the hood. I don't have any experience with the Bug Deflector II. Basically if you want the deflector to hug the hood closely don't buy the Lund and don't exspect to be able to clean behind it without removing it.
  • My 2000 Yukon LX has recently started to make a thump noise when I pull out of a steep driveway, or drive over a drainage ditch, or speed bump etc. The noise seems to be coming from the rear coil springs? Has anyone come across a similar noise?
  • rhanson3rhanson3 Posts: 69
    Check the lund trident out. I was told it is sleeker than the interceptor but attaches easier than the Bugflector II. I have not ordered one yet though.
  • btenbten Posts: 28
    I ordered mine about the same time. Just got the VIN number from the Dealer. I think it was made up north. (VIN begins with the number "1"). It supposedly arrived in Houston on the 8th,(I purchased it from a Houston dealership) and my salesman said it should be ready late this week or early next week.

I got a report from the dealer showing dates that the "preliminary order was Accepted, Added.....

It showed a Preliminary order accepted date of 3-09-01.
  • chorchchorch Posts: 10
    Have a Lund Interceptor on my 01 Yukon, great, easy clean, easy on, does the job. Installed a Bugflector on my son in laws ford 150. this weekend. A 15 minute job stretched into 2 + hrs. The holes in the hood were round instead of square so when you turned the plastic screws, either the insert turned or the screw kept turning. Finally drilled out the holes and used molly wall anchors to attach the thing. Close to the hood must use the glue on bumpbers. Don't know how long they will stay but it looks like the thing will bend and touch the hood at high speed. Just a thought.
  • I've got the Lund Trident in clear (being painted tomorrow) for my '01 YXL. It fits well, looks great, installed in about 15 minutes and is VERY sturdy. There's plenty room to get your hand behind it to clean and it doesn't use or need any rubber bumpers. As for the Bugflector II, I was parked next to a '01 Bourbon with one and it is VERY flimsy...glad I went with the Trident. Got it online at Truck Performance Center http://www.truckperformance.com/
  • skipjack2skipjack2 Posts: 29
    This page lists (at the moment) 356 messages, last being posted April 10, at 10:34. Yet when I go to the beginning, I am at message 523 and if I enter "go to 356" I end up back at 923??

Is the count off? Am I not doing something that would let me go to the latest message on the chance that someone responded to my in query?
    Skipjack
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    There's a few reports of missing messages this morning so perhaps the server reset or something. All the posts seem to be here this morning :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • larsonemlarsonem Posts: 7
    I'd skip the rustproofing and I too live in Michigan. Five new vehicles ago I had one done by Tuff Kote, now Ziebart. It was an 1985 full size K-1500 Jimmy. The darn thing rusted out all over the place, inside the doors where they punched holes in the door frames and under the carpet by the rear seat where sheet metal screws punched through the floor holding something together. Ziebart just laughed because I had missed an inspection period by a month. So I sued the jerks in small claims court. The judge threw it out, so I appealed. On the second trip to court, the judge awarded me the cost of the paint, plus court costs (I had already gotten the inside of the door jams repaired), plus the idiots sent two men from Detroit to Lansing (round trip about 180 miles) two times to fight me. They could have settled the claim cheaper by just paying me.

Moral of the story is, I don't believe in rustproofing. Also it helps that today the vehicle manufacturers build a better piece of equipment than they did 15 years ago.

I say save your money. I can tell a lot of other people are doing just that when you pass by Ziebart and they are installing running boards, bug shields, visors, and other accessories just to stay in business because people just don't rustproof things anymore.
  • rleonardrleonard Posts: 17
    I won my arbitration suit. It`s going to cost me about 2 thou but to keep the wife warm (warmer) it`s woth it. Looking at the Sequoia`s. Visiting in Iowa in my 92 suburban with only 176,000 on it. Will be checking back after Easter. Happy Easter to all.
  • btenbten Posts: 28
    Looks like my salesman gave me the wrong information. The VIN he gave me was for a Silverado...I found out when I called the GM support line. It turns out that because I ordered a heavy duty battery (770 amps), I got bumped. The battery is no longer available. So what does GM do?... You got it, send the order back to the dealer to ask the customer if he still wants the vehicle with the regular battery. I was told that they immediately reordered the vehicle. I was put at the end of the line. I now have a TPW of April 30th. So I am in the same boat as ssmiles. (still wonder about the story, but I did see a TPW of April 2nd on some of the earlier paperwork.)

P.S. Don't order the HD battery, It is no longer available
  • ryanbabryanbab Posts: 7,240
    Sounds wierd that they would send it back to the dealer? Most of the time they will just not put it on and build it without and not charge you for it.

I know many people are getting 2500HD's without the aluminum rims (without even being asked if they stilll want the truck) and are being given credit for them cause they dont have enough.