Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon XL and Yukon XL Denali

Comments

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    short bed = 26 gallons
    long bed = 34 gallons
  • brown31brown31 Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know how much prift margin dealers charge for the GMC brand extended warranties for the Yukon XL Denali?

Thanks,
    Bill
  • one4thegipperone4thegipper Member Posts: 24
    SteveSatch:

We have four kids (5, 4, 18 mos, and 1 month) and a 2001 Suburban 1500. Neither the 1st row nor the 2nd row has a shoulder harness or a head rest for the middle seat. The center seats have lap belts only. All of our kids are still in car seats or booster seats, so the lack of a shoulder harness has not been a factor yet. When they are out of the boosters, they will have to sit in the outside seats, as they have the shoulder harnesses/head rests.

We have a luggage carrier for the roof, and it pretty much takes up the rear half of the roof. You could probably get another small one in front of it, but it would have to rest directly on the roof and not on the luggage rack. I don't think I'd do that. I don't know how much weight the roof or the rack are rated to handle.

Rich
  • sbrown8243sbrown8243 Member Posts: 10
    My wife and I have wanted a Suburban for some time now and with the favorable financing terms are looking more seriously. She has fallen in love with a 2001 Victory Red Suburban with Tan Cloth seats, it has the towing package (which I really don't need) and the liftgate, front bucket seats, etc. The dealer wants $33,389.00 (that's with $15K down, %.9 financing on the remainder for 48 months, with a note of $467.60). I'm not really sure if that's a fair price or not...the dealer is a friend and it's supposedly his best offer, but you know how that goes. Any ideas on how I stand price-wise??? I can't find another unit around here that she likes as much. Thanks for the input.
  • don4341don4341 Member Posts: 69
    At least this is the capacity for the 2001 Yukon and Yukon XL.

Look in your owners guide for the Suburban - under Luggage Carrier. In the GM book it was on page 2-56.

Irv filling in for Don.
  • loywilliamsloywilliams Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the 2001 XLS has steering column lock? I was told by GMC service manager that the SUVs and truck does not have steering locks.
    Also, CD player does not work, dealer sent it to be repaired.
  • andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    There is no steering column lock on the 2001s.

http://www.capperautocenter.com/ sells GM warranties at $300 over dealer cost. I purchased a Chrysler warranty on my XL Denali because the GM warranty was too expensive.

• hwhitecohwhiteco Member Posts: 8
    I've recently purchased a 2002 Denali XL with 2nd row captain's chairs & looking to purchase floor liners for all the carpeted areas. Are Husky liners the top of the line brand & will they cover the carpeted area surrounding the captain's chairs? Also where would the best place to purchase them? Any other comments or suggestions would be welcome. Appreciate your help & thanks for your time.
    Since you have a denali xl you may want some nicer looking floor liners than the huskys. They are great floor liners but are not very pretty

Catchalls may be the way to go

Cabelas sells them i think the link is

http://www.cabelas.com

Ryan

• uncommonmanuncommonman Member Posts: 65
    Edmunds had a forum on just this topic, but suspended it last May. We have a Yukon, and looked all over for the "best" carpet protection we could find when we got it last spring. The best mats to get depend on your particular circumstances and proposed use for them. I am familiar with plastic molded parts, and we looked at them all. The Huskyliner's looked very "commercial", and for us they presented a trip hazzard. The Catchall's were very attractive, but did not seem to be very durable for rough usage (like kids or hunting buddies). We stumbled on Kraco mats. They are massive flexible rubber with deep ribs, they fit our application like a glove, and as a bonus they were cheap!!! We have the Pewter cloth interior, and the gray mats look very nice and are definitely very functional. We have the KW-7500 mats in front ($15 each) and the KW-2510 mats in back ($9 each). They come in black, gray, tan, blue and burgundy. They can be bought at these prices at Central Tractor (or whatever it's called this week), Ames or Kmart. You can look at them at the Kraco website, but they cost more there. It won't cost anything to look at them at Kmart, so IMHO one should at least check them out. For reference the Kraco website is:

http://www.kraco.com

Another source for the Husky and Catchall products is JC Whitney. Happy shopping.

• vmaamvmaam Member Posts: 4
    After hitting a 1989 Mazda 626 at 50 MPH and totaling my 2000 Suburban (BTW OnStar
    responded when the airbags deployed even though I had not renewed the service) I've
    just gotten a 2002. I want to get some wheel flares but the Chevrolet parts guy says I can't
    with running boards. I had them with my 2000 so why not now? Is this true?

Also, I had the resonance noise problem with my 2000 until I got the body mounts
    replaced and now I think I hear the same rumbling with my 2002? Can this happen? I
    thought they replaced the body mounts with a new type after the 2000 problem.
  • SteveSatchSteveSatch Member Posts: 20
    Does ayone else think the nine passenger rating is misleading since if you carry nine people a third of them are in a lap belt and get no head rest?? That's just unacceptable in '01. Honda's mini van have a three point seatbelt and headrst for everyone, why can't the Suburban get it too?????
  • robz3robz3 Member Posts: 28
    Unless GM didn't put seatbelts at all on those other seats, I can't see the claim as being misleading.

If you're looking for a minivan I strongly suggest you get that Honda.
  • SteveSatchSteveSatch Member Posts: 20
    I didn't say I was looking for a mini van (or a bike or airplane for that matter). I said if Honda can find a way to provide proper saet belts, why can't GM? How many Suburbans do you think they would sell if the driver and front passenger seats had only a lap belt and no head rest? Why would it not be OK for those positions to have less safe belts while it is OK for 3 of the 9 seating positions?
  • uncommonmanuncommonman Member Posts: 65
    Consider this: Maybe the 3000 pound Honda needs them, and the 6000 pound Suburban doesn't. It's the physics thing, you know. 3 ton vehicle in a collision with ton and a half vehicle. I wouldn't want to be in the Honda, seat belts and headrests notwithstanding. my $02. No offense intended.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    Find a different dealer parts dept. They can get them, it is just because the computer doesn't list them for the vehicle at all. Another alternative would be aftermarket look alikes. You can look them up here:

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm/partfamilyid/147/categoryid/11/subcategoryid/8

• klevanklevan Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how to disable my running lights?
    KBL
  • eversonseversons Member Posts: 38
    To disable your running lights:

While the ignition is on-press the dome light switch 4 times. You will hear a chime and your running lights will turn off. To turn them back on while your car is still running: press 4 times again. You will need to repeat this each time you start your car.
  • sgj55sgj55 Member Posts: 34
    I just logged in today. I'm in the market for a new YukonXL 2500 (2002). I've read every single post and am amazed at all the info that comes thru here. I feel like I'm a Yukon expert. You
    guys are great!

I hope I can get some answers to some questions I have. First why are the tow ratings falling every year? Are there changes in the trucks or is GM coming to the realization that they over rated their SUV's?

I have a travel trailer,total weight apx. 6000lbs,
    that I plan to pull from NY to CA. I don't want to
    be under powered in the Rockies & wonder if a 2500
    with a 6.0 & 3.73 rear will be good enough. I would like to cruise in overdrive most of the time
    on flat or slight grades & overpasses. What do you
    think?

I think it was skipjack that mentioned a chart to
    figure out how different tire sizes will effect the axle ratio, anyone know where I can get this
    chart?

I'm toying with the idea of ordering a 4.10 rear &
    getting a 2nd (larger) set of wheels & tires for
    solo driving,which would be about 90% of use,to
    help the gas mileage & fill the wheel well better.
    Saving the OEM's for the power when towing.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Again THANKS!
    You can just remove the bulbs from the sockets if you want to permenantly disable them, You have to remove the headlamp assembly to gain access to the sockets, but if you hate them that much I guess it's worth it. On another note you will still have the auto head lamps, even if you disable the DRL's, the same dome override trick kills them as well. As of yet I don't know of a way to disable the auto headlamps.
  • campo57campo57 Member Posts: 94
    Actually, I think that putting the 470 ohm resister on that circuit will disable the automatic headlights but not the DRLs. If you check that thread on the GMSUV board, it will give all the details.

Campo57
  • mrmarcummrmarcum Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know of or have lifter noise on startup on 6.0L engine? I have 2001 Yukon XL 2500 SLT. My dealer advised GMC was looking at this problem under a Case #A001670. Can anyone advise??
  • mcl01mcl01 Member Posts: 4
    Fellow owners:
    I have a 2001 Yukon XL 2WD (18k miles). I have changed the oil every 3000 miles (+/-) and realized a few months ago that it is using oil. The oil light will come on when it is 2 quarts low and this happened when I went 3500 miles between changes. I took it to our dealer (they have done all maint.) and we did an extended test over the next 2500 miles. It appears to be burning 1 quart every 15-1700 miles. I think this is highly irregular but the dealer says this is "normal". What say you all??
  • gigisqrdgigisqrd Member Posts: 11
    My 2K Yukon w 30K miles was using oil like yours at that mileage but seems to have reduced the rate to 4K/qt or better.(Fingers crossed for luck)
  • vmaamvmaam Member Posts: 4
    I just got my 2002 Suburban as posted earlier and I swear I hear a resonance noise like I did in my 2000 Suburban. I had the body mounts replaced in my 2000 and it solved the problem. I may have to insist that they do the same thing to my 2002. Does anyone else have this problem or am I just super sensitive to it?
  • atmospheresatmospheres Member Posts: 3
    >Has anybody else experienced a problem while filling the gas tank? I've got an '01 Yukon XL, when I'm filling the tank the pump keeps kicking off like the tank is full. I'm thinking maybe the tank or filler neck isn't vented right or something.
    ---

I took my '01 2500/8.1/3.73 in for several service items this last summer and included exactly this same complaint. The techs (said they) checked over the entire filler assembly for any restrictions, kinks, damage, etc., and found nothing wrong.

Yours in the only other complaint I've seen, but then, I haven't really been looking. I saw from another post that you also have a 2500, so I'm thinking maybe something in the filler system unique to these vehicles and the dual-tank setup. Of course, I don't have much to go on with only 2 data points -- but it's been driving me nuts.

I *have* noticed that it's worse at some pumps than others. There's one pump at my local station that I just don't use anymore, and it's sort of 50/50 with several others. Of course, these same pumps had no problem with my (now sold) Jimmy, including during ownership overlap when I'd sometimes fill both in the same day at the same pump.

At some stations I've finally given up and moved pumps, because holding the filler for 35 gallons isn't my idea of a good time, especially when it clicks off even in my hand so I have to manually hold it at about 3/4 flow.

Anybody else had any problems of this sort? If this is systemic it'd be nice to know and be able to go to GM with that.
  • chuckee98chuckee98 Member Posts: 39
    My 2001 YXL with the 5.3 does it with 11,500 miles on the odo. Started about 4000 miles ago. Supposedly a well documented problem. Go to the Pacific Audio forum, here: ( http://www.pacific-audio.com/performance/discussion.html ) and do a search on "cold start". The fix is pull the engine and change the pistons to a newer design. So far, no one has reported an engine failure based on the noise. Based on what I've read on the Pac-audio and other forums, I'll take my chances. They may fix the noise, but will end up causing more headaches if they pull the engine. See what your dealer comes back to you with. I'm betting on him saying that it's normal - the owner's manual apparently says some cold start-up noise is normal and not detrimental. (like we should believe it....)
  • agentelevenagenteleven Member Posts: 95
    I don't own a Yukon or Suburban, but on my 2002 TrailBlazer, I have noticed a problem filling my tank at one particular station.

It was annoying as all heck, because it wouldn't even let me hold the nozzle a quarter of the way up. As soon as it would begin to dispense, it would click off.

I twisted the nozzle clockwise in the filler hole about 30 degrees (from 6 o'clock to between 7 and 8 o'clock). The thing worked fine then! I could even set the filler holder to the max position.

Of course, I had to stand there and hold the nozzle in the angled position until it was finished. Maybe this would work for you, maybe not.
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    I have a '01 Suburban 2500HD that does the same thing. If I pull the nozzle out about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way, then the autofill will hold without cutting off. The max fill rate can then be used hands free. (Be sure to watch the nozzle to ascertain that it does not slip out)
  • rxprbhrxprbh Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 suburban 4wd and would like larger tires. Has anyone on this board put 285/75 r16 on their truck? If so, have you had any problems and would this affect gas milage? THANKS!
    Bryan
  • jdscjdsc Member Posts: 2
    I'm getting pretty serious about a 1500 Yukon XL 4WD and the one option I haven't decided on is the Autoride suspension. Does anyone have any suggestions, experience, etc. that you would like to share.
  • jnj91jnj91 Member Posts: 55
    "I just got my 2002 Suburban as posted earlier and I swear I hear a resonance noise like I did in my 2000 Suburban. I had the body mounts replaced in my 2000 and it solved the problem. I may have to insist that they do the same thing to my 2002. Does anyone else have this problem or am I just super sensitive to it?"

I'd be interested to know others experiences with this also. I have a '01 suburban and I've recently noticed a sound the might be the 'resonance' sound. I thought it was a noise from the tires and it still may be, but it is either new or getting more noticeable.

thanks- jnj
    I dont know if they fit on the burbs but i have has LT285/75/R16 BFG's on my silverado for over 12K now. Does it affect milage? Not really. I figured it to be about .1-.2 mpg lower than the P265's i had. They look much better feel much better. The benefits OUTWEIGH the negatives. Only thing i have found to be a negative is road noise. But then that doesnt even bother me cause i have the radio up anyways.

I also have these tires on the stock aluminum rims. Wear is fine nothing abnormal

Ryan
    I would get the autoride feature. It is well worth every penny. On the 1/2 ton model it gives you load leveling capability, so when towing or heavily loaded it levels out the truck, and provides instant shock dampening under all road and load conditions to give you the best ride possible. Test drive them back to back and you will feel the difference. If the dealer doesn't have one, try a Denali XL, then the Yukon XL. The Denali has Autoride standard. Use extreme caution when driving the Denali XL, you may fall in love with it and scrap the Yukon XL all together, the extra goodies are quite addicting.
    regarding the "Spy" photo of the 2003 Chev Tahoe.
    I might have the wrong guy - if so I apologize. I thought you said at that time that you might get a chance to visit a factory site. While there you would keep an eye open for a 2003 Tahoe. Do you go and what was interesting?

Irv - fill in for Don.
    I didnt post the pic. Over at gm-trucks.com we discussed how the photo was a fake. There are many things on it that proves its a fake (wont get into them)

However people have seen new silverados driving around detroit with a new grill and mfg plates. SO a change is on the way

I had the chance to visit the fort wayne plant but something came up that night and i was unable to attend. I may try to go sometime in the future possibly on an asme trip (try and get a tour set up through school)

Ill let you know anything i find out

Ryan
  • indy10indy10 Member Posts: 3
    I have the 2500, YXL, 8100 engine. I get about 11 miles per gallon. I've had several problems with the vehicle some of which I have seen on this board. First there is lifter noise on cold starts. The GMC manager says not to worry about it, this is a new engine and it's not going to bother it. Second problem is a slight whistle at 2300rpms. They think it's an exhaust problem but again, don't worry about it! Third problem is with the oil, as is oil leak! The car has been in 3 times now and they keep telling me it's a defective filter that is loosening and dropping oil. There's also a vibration when I hit about 65 or 68 mph. I have 10,000 miles on the car and really like it but I'm afraid of these problems. Has anyone else had all of this go wrong??
    Forgot to mention that I have the gas fill up problem too that I see talked about here frequently. Just shuts off after a few gallons and I have to pull the nozzle out some and then continue to fill it up.
  • doxseedoxsee Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 8.1 Liter and have only had the cold start noise. I did have a catastrophic oil leak upon delivery that may be related to your oil leak. I had a bad connection on my oil cooler line that caused a leak and the oil connection is right next to the oil filter. It first appeared that the leak was the oil filter. It might be worth looking into.
    i am only getting about 13mpg with my 5.3 silverado
    Will appreciate anything you can locate on the 2003 Suburbans and Tahoe. I enjoy the common sense approach that you offer to all on these boards. Hopefully Don will have recovered from his stroke by May of 2002. At that time we will be in the market for two Tahoes or Suburbans. In 1992 we both bought fully loaded Suburbans.
    Keep up the good work!
    Irv.
    Thanks for the info. I picked my Yukon up this morning from the dealer after the third time in for the oil leak and again they said it was a defective filter! I'm going to watch it closely but if it leaks again I'll know to have them look at that oil cooler line. I'm surprised they didn't automatically check for that.

One other problem I have with this vehicle is that once in a while the engine seems to rev up especially when taking off from a red light while the AC is on. Then all of a sudden it seems to kick in to a quiet run. I can just be sitting still and the rpms go up to about 1200. Could it be the fan clutch?? Anyone else have this issue?
    Give don my best wishes!!!
    If the air is on the truck will automatically rev up when the compressor kicks in. Remember the engine is thrittle by wire, no direct link to the pedal like a cable, it all runs through the computer.

The fan clutch is thermostaticaly controlled and would make a noise like a jet plane when it kicks in, but does not make the engine rev up.
    Thanks much - will do.
  • andyl2andyl2 Member Posts: 84
    I am noticing a paint rubbing problem inside the door jamb of my Denali XL. The problem is on the lower rear part of the door where the paint on the door is rubbing against the black plastic on the door jamb of the truck. I checked 3 other Denalis and they had the same problem (the vehicle probably has to have several thousand miles on it to show the problem). If you have a Denali XL, Yukon XL, or Suburban, please check to see if you have this problem as well. I believe it is a problem with all long wheelbase models. Please let me know whether or not you have the problem, the year and model of your vehicle and where it was manufactured. If you have had the problem fixed, please let me know what was done to fix it.

Thanks.
  • madijomadijo Member Posts: 30
    JNJ91 what does this noise sound like and when do you hear it. I recently purchased a y2k suburban lt with 18K and it has a horrible noise when you open a single rear window. Also notice my firestones are starting to cup on outer edge. I sometimes get a sensation of riding over pebbles type feel at certain highway speeds. Could this be from tire cupping? ANYONE?
  • jnj91jnj91 Member Posts: 55
    "I am noticing a paint rubbing problem inside the door jamb of my Denali XL. The problem is on the lower rear part of the door where the paint on the door is rubbing against the black plastic on the door jamb of the truck."

Andyl2; I have the same problem on my '02 Chevy Suburban. I haven't thought about it for a while and didn't think to have it checked when I took it in.

Resonance Noise
    "JNJ91 what does this noise sound like and when do you hear it."

madijo; It sounds like a loud tire whine that is going on in a barrel. (my own description...) I realized that I was way overdue to have my tires rotated- I was busy having a baby when I should have been taking care of my truck! - So, when this noise got more noticeable I took the tires to have them rotated and checked. The tire guy thought that it was from the tires not being rotated, said the front tires were wearing like they were pigeon- toed. I think it has helped but I haven't gotten on the highway with them yet.

Hope that helps...

Julie
  • lucnoellucnoel Member Posts: 31
    All Sub/Yukon have this problem.
    on the 91-99 models,the rubbing was in the sills,due to the door weatherstripping.
    On the 99-up the rubbing is on the bottom of the doors due to the weatherstripping on the sills.
    There is no way to solve this problem.
    The rubbing is due to the doors moving slightly and the dirt/dust acting as a rubbing compound.

The only think to do is to put some tape protection where it rub.
    Black truck can use black electrical tape and any other colors can use a clear "film" made by 3M and called "Paint Protector"
    Like that the rubbing happen on the tape/film not on the paint.
  • dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    Wife's '01 Suburban K2500HD made in Mexico in April at 6000 miles doesn't show any sign of rubbing on any of the doors.