Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tires, tires, tires

Comments

• Options
    highrollerhighroller Member Posts: 351
    Wouldnt it be great if all tires are rated v or higher, even for truck/suv tires? I think so, yup. IMHO, the bigger the wheels the worse, threads as you know get somewhat thinner as the size of the wheel gets bigger. Thus, less comfortability and greater chance of getting a quicker wear. I learn my lesson of getting bigger wheels plus thinner tires. I had 18s on my accord and i really really regret it sooo much. Every small cracks/bumps on the streets can be felt whenever i run over them. I wouldnt let my parents ride with me because they would freakout lol. Just my preference.

High :)
  • Options
    capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    "So why don't we all just use V rated tires in every application"

Wouldn't that be the "one size fits all" approach?

Obviously a VW bug which could barely make 70 mph would not need a V rated tire, while a Ferrari might need Z rated tires. But if we stay within the region of most vehicles that are sold in the US, the potential top speed of the vehicle would have an effect, not to mention the handling characteristics dialed into the vehicle. So different speed ratings would be appropriate.

Unfortunately, it is impossible for a vehicle manufacturer to tell how their vehicle is going to be used by every particular customer, so they design for the vehicle's intended audience.
  • Options
    fljoslinfljoslin Member Posts: 237
    I have Michelin X-Radial 225/60/R16 on my Dodge Intrepid and think that these factory size tires are way too rough. I just put two 205/65/R16 (i know about 2 tires) Michelin X-Ice on the front and like the ride much better. It is a shame that I just replaced the 225/60/R16 s and that they will probably last another 80,000 miles, otherwise I would definitely go to the 65 series.
  • Options
    nikkyjnikkyj Member Posts: 2
    http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/emotorcons- /emo_lemon.gif
    http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/emotorcons- /emo_lemon.gifI was recently advised to change out my tires. I am just about ready to replace the thirteen inch wheels with 17 inch gun metal and tires. So, I bought three used tires for the purpose of having safe tires for my 700 mile round trip. I told the owner this. I also brought my car in the day of my departure three days later siting a slight wabble. The owner rotated them. Well, about 15 miles out of the city my wheels began to shake violently. I have had these tires less than a week and there is supose to be a 15 day warrenty. The owner will only replace one of the wheels that has a bald spot on it. What do I do with tires I can not use? If I do, I run the risk of blowing out. I live in Florida is there not some type of law out there? :sick: :lemon: :lemon:
  • Options
    blaisxc90blaisxc90 Member Posts: 3
    Hello

My wife has been driving her XC90 for almost 23000 miles and the tires are almost at the point where they should be replaced. They're the 18 inch wheels and the 235/60/18 tires are a pain to get replaced. The stock Michelin Pilot tires are, from what I've read, only good for about 30,000 miles. I've also read, at a tire forum, that these tires rated about a 3 on a scale of 10. The tires were used on many makes and models and the two most common complaints were - (1) Tires ride horribly and (2) tires wear quickly - which I agree with - the ride on bumpy roads - "horrible" - if the tires are not ideally inflated in relationship to the load. My recommendation if you're going to buy a XC90 buy the 17" wheels - they're a whole lot easier to find tires for and from what I've heard, ride better. From what I've figured out only two manufacturers make a 235/60/18 - Michelin and Pirelli. Both rated poorly and had a very short wear life.

Finally, my question - For this car, can I use a tire that is not the stock dimensions. I've seen a few 235/65/18 tires that rate far better than the michelin 235/60/18. I know the side wall will be taller, but other than that I don't see any limitations. The 235/65/18 won't be so tall that it will effect the turning radius. Also I really don't like the way the stock tires look it almost looks to small. I think the 235/65/18 might look better.

Please feel free to bombard me with any information you would like to share on this topic

Thanks.
  • Options
    Any time you buy something used, you are buying something you don't know what has happened before. This applies to used cars as well as used tires. For that reason I do not recommend purchasing used tires.

The solution to your problem is simple - you have to replace the tires.

And the law in Florida - probably says the dealer (not a private owner) is required to make good on a warranty if he gave one. A private owner probably isn't under any obligation, even if he promised a 15 day warranty. Even if he supplied a warranty, his obligation is to replace what broke, not what MIGHT break.
  • Options
    yitzieyitzie Member Posts: 1
    Hi, Just moved to Cleveland OH from Miami (on purpose), and need new tires for my 97' safari (all seasons i guess?). I was really planning on looking into either Goodyear or Michelin etc, but the mechanic I go to (who so far has had the chance more than once to steer me to a job that would give him more work, and didn't) is really suggesting a tire call 'Hercules' Terra-Touring, says it's a really great tire all around.

He sells the Hercules (as well as Goodyear and others) he says that Hercules used to have a retail line many years back, stopped when the competition got too hot, and are doing retail again now. I see them on canadian websites more so than here in the states. the mechanic also says that Hercules never left the backround, making the tires for many name brands.

It really seems to me that he'll be happy to sell me whatever tire I want, more expensive or less, but he likes the Hercules Terra Touring for my vehicle, but of course there's always the possibility that he has a much higher margin on the Hercules than the others he sells (kinda doesn't seem the sales gimmik type to me though).

I'm not to tire savvy, I don't really know what I want. The 97 safari is our family vehicle and we live now in Cleveland OH (they say the roads get cleaned pretty well here in the winter), I guess I want a good all season radial, for all around stuff (except off roading etc?)??
    Is the Hercules a good idea or bad?
    thanks much,
    yitzie
  • Options
    http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

This web site allows you to compare the diameter of different size tires. The 65 series tire will have a larger diameter and thus circumference and your speedometer will read low by about 3%. You need to go to a narrower tire when you increase the series to maintain the same diameter. A 215/65/R18 tire is within 0.3% of the diameter or your original tire. This tire will be 20mm or about 4/5" narrower than your original tire.
    If you go with the 235/65/R18, just be aware of the speedometer difference.
  • Options
    Caveat emptor.
    Buyer be ware.
  • Options
    nikkyjnikkyj Member Posts: 2
    This was not a private buy. I explianed exactly what I wanted to use them for and still he jerked me. I have since bought a new set. It doesent take away the fact that they should have been what other sales men call road worthy. I know I sound like a girl. However, I should not have to eat this. True or false?
  • Options
    ajcstrajcstr Member Posts: 9
    How would the ride comfort/noise compare between the Bridgestone G009 and the Yoko Avid H4S ? Also would the Bridgestone offer better wet weather traction?

the car in question is a Hyundai Sonata
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    After much research I have narrowed my choices of tires, for my Buick Regal LS(tire size 215/70/15), to 1)Bridgestone Turansa LS-T 2)Goodyear Assurance Tripletred or 3)Yokohama Avid Tourning.
    I value a quiet comfortable ride with excellent wet/dry stopping. Don't care all that much about tred life or price.I only put about 6k a year on my vehicle.Will probably keep it about 5 more years. Any thoughts or opinions on those tires? Thanks.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Given your choices:

1 GY A TT

2. B T LS-T

3. Yoko AT
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If you value a quiet comfortable ride, take a look at the Goodyear ComforTred.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+ComforTred
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Talk about out-of-the-box thinking...why didn't I consider two new tires at opposite corners???

I guess some of us, like me, are just destined not to comprehend all this high-falutin' car stuff... :P :P
  • Options
    2k1olds2k1olds Member Posts: 98
    I also just purchased a set of the Cooper Lifeliner SLE's for my 97 Aurora, and I must agree, this is hands down the best tire I have ever purchased, even though it's only been a short while. Drives like a brand new car. The Michelin Energy MXV4's just did not cut it for me. When my wife's Goodyear RSA's need replaced, it will be with the Coopers!
  • Options
    "why didn't I consider two new tires at opposite corners???"

Because it violates one of the other "rules" - Tires should be mounted in pairs on the same axle.

No matter how you slice it, there's a problem with 2 tires.

I think the best approach is to take your lumps and do a better job of vehicle maintenance in the future.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    My old tires still have a lot of tread left. Do tires stores give you any credit on them? Or, would putting an ad in the paper...say $10 per tire, be worth the trouble.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I was just jesting...I would NEVER place 2 new tires at opposite corners, and I assume that Steve meant the same jest that I did...still, thanks for the comment...
  • Options
    Does anybody have any heads up on these tires? Toyo TPT's (for VW Jetta TDI 195/65/15) And Toyo 800 Ultra (for Honda Civic VP 185/70/14) Thanks.
  • Options
    When I replied to your posting with buyer be ware (caveat emptor) I did not know that you were a girl. You are correct, no one should have to "eat it" irrespective of their gender. You learned a lesson with a certain price attached. Buying used tires is always "risky". Selling used tires is also risky. Consider that the salesman did not necessarily know that these tires were going to fail the way that they did. What works for me is if you have a bad experience somewhere, let other people know. Finally, why did you choose to change from 13" wheels to 17" wheels. The wheels and tires cost much more, the ride is much rougher and the tires do not last as long. There is absolutely no benefit to making this change. Life is full of lessons, some more painful than others. Good luck in the future.
  • Options
    markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    I noticed recently that one of the original equipment Pirrelli P-6 tires was mounted on the rim with the inner side wall on the outside. Question: how much would this affect the handling dynamic of the vehicle. Is it recommended to turn this tire the right way ifit already has 6000 or perhaps 20000 miles on them? How strongly should I complain to the dealer. BTW, I nearly got stuck in unplowed snow in the Berkshires last night. My wife was complaining all the way. "Why havn't you put the new Snow tires and rims :D:D on yet which I purchased from you guys a month and a Half ago !"
  • Options
    A couple of thoughts:

Normally the term "original equipment" means the original tires on the vehicle - which would mean you would know how many miles are on them (or if you use snow tires, at least have a good idea), so I suspect the tires we are discussing aren't OE.

I looked up P-6's on TireRack, and they look symmetrical to me. Are you sure they are asymmetrical? If they are asymmetrical, this would be another reason to believe they aren't OE.

The biggest problem associated with asymmetrical tires mounted inside out is that you won't get the benefit of the asymmetry, in fact you get the opposite. But I don't think there is any harm done to the tire, except for wear.

Get this fixed. But after 6,000 miles (or 20,000), enough time and miles have passed that the dealer might not accept that he was at fault and not do the exchange for free (then again, he might - no harm in asking.)
  • Options
    sj27sj27 Member Posts: 2
    I have 2005 Audi Allroad quattro 2.7T (14,000 mile) and am looking for replacement all season tires . Since two of my OEM Pirelli P6 Allroad tires (my stock size is 225/55R/17, 97H) are cupped, I'm looking at:
    - Pirelli PZero Nero M+S (235/55R/17)
    - Bridgestone Turanza LS-V (same stock size avail.)
    - Continental ContiProContact (same stock size avail.)

Based on the reviews, I prefer Pirelli PZero Nero M+S except it would change the overall diameter about 7/16" because the 235/55R/17 is the closest size available for this tire.
    I contacted two Audi dealers and they say the difference (less than half an inch) is so minor that it wouldn't cause any problem. But most of the tire places (including Tirerack) wouldn't recommend installing PZero Nero.

Does anyone have experience with the other two (Turanza LS-V or ContiProContact)?
    I eliminated Pilot Sport A/S from the list already due to it's "unnecessarily" high price.
    Any comment/suggestion would be appreciated.

sj27
  • Options
    markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    Yes,P-6 is clearly listed as Asymetrical by the manufacturer and they did come on the car from the factory.
    One of the original equipment tires was damaged by a nail and replaced by the dealer at 14000 miles charging me the full price of the Tire. I'm assuming that this is the one that is mounted inside out because I don't think a mistake like that would happen on a factory delivered vehicle. My original post (5222) was sent to the "ASK Conner thread but the host informs me that he is quite the busy man this month with all the snow tire orders.
    This is reminds me about somthing very important:
    your snow tires do you no good as they sit very nicely in your garage. Remember just as in the the old "Seinfeld" episode,Buying the tires is one thing, MOUNTING them on the car is another matter entirely. :):)
  • Options
    bobny11580bobny11580 Member Posts: 31
    My suggestions are:

Don't deviated from the original tire size.

Secondly, I have the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (225-55-17)tires and couldn't be more pleased. They transformed my Subaru Outback XT and made it feel immensely more secure. Since you've paid big bucks for your Audi Allroad why not give it the best tires you can? It will improve your vehicle to such an extent that you will thank me. Spend the $1,000 all in that they cost and enjoy making your Audi perform at its best.
  • Options
    sss1sss1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm SO confused. Need new all season tires for Saab 9-3 arc sedan, size P215/55R/16. Original tires were Pirelli's, and I wasn't that impressed with them. TireTrack website recommends BF Goodrich Traction T/A and Bridgestone Turanza LS-H. I also spoke with a tire shop that wants to sell me Cooper Lifeliner SLE Touring, but I've seen other message boards saying that the Cooper tire made their car sound like a jet engine...Has anyone replaced tires on a Saab with other than Pirelli's or Michellin--What is a good choice. I like high performance handling, yet I live in New England so traction is important too (I'm not doing snow tires though!) Thanks for any advice!!
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    If I were you I would buy Bridgestone RE950 or Michelin Pilot A/S.
    If you like "high performance" handling I am not sure why you are checking touring tires (Traction T/A or Turanza).

Krzys
  • Options
    dinosaurdinosaur Member Posts: 19
    After my second unstisfactory experience, I'm not gonna bother anymore.

My first experience was a purchase of a winter tire and wheel package. They tout very heavily their Hunter Road Force balancing included with the purchase. When I mounted the wheels, the car shimmied so badly it was hardly driveable. Upon taking it to a local tire store, they found that all four of the wheels were balanced improperly. After some arguing and discussion with both me and the store manager, Tire Rack agreed to pay for the balancing. But the whole idea was to avoid the two hours in the tire place on a Saturday to begin with.

This time I ordered just a set of steel wheels for my Civic. Their site specifically states that they ship with a set of lug nuts (in fact they say they are REQUIRED). They arrived without them. Upon contacting them, they said I could just use the OEM ones. But they are locking nuts that I prefer to keep out of the winter salt and grime. Besides the order specifically said they were included! Don't advertise it if you're not going to include it.

They're not worth the hassle. Besides, it seems that their selection of tires isn't what it used to be, especially the winter tires. No more Kumho's or Goodyear Ultragrips. I think I can and will do better elsewhere. I guess Tire Rack has a great rep, but I'm not impressed.
  • Options
    andy72andy72 Member Posts: 3
    The RE950's are not a very good recommendation for New England winter weather. They are poor in that aspect in my opinion and Consumer Reports however they excel everywhere else.
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    and I have RE950 for 1 year now. Seem OK at least.

Krzys
  • Options
    nef1nef1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased 4 new Toyo Observe Snow tires with a 30day money back guarantee from Town Fair Tire for my Nissan Maxima 2002.

This is my first set of snows since they invented Front wheel drive...so I don't know what is "normal" and I have 3 weeks to return...

The day after I got them, we had 4 inches of unplowed snow/ice/slush to try them on. I practiced stopping etc in a parking lot before I hit the roads and the car behaved well.

I didn't feel in total control while driving...but heh...it was the first storm of the season in Southern NH and a new set of tires....

However, I have noticed that I seem to peel out when I have to go from a dead stop to pull out in front of traffic (0 to 5/10mph) wether the ground is dry or wet.

Is this peeling out "normal" with the power of the Maxima?

Should I just "get used to it"?
    or should I start to notify the tire dealer that I'm probably going to want them switched out before the 30days is up?

Thx
  • Options
    sj27sj27 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at the new Continental ContiProContact A/S tire (re: my recent message #5224) to replace the OEM Pirelli P6 allroad for my 2005 Audi Allroad quattro 2.7T.
    This tire is so new that not many people seem to have experience of it yet - many 2005/06 Audi & BMW have the tire as their OEM now.
    Tire Rack has its recent road test data which is pretty impressive and honestly I think I like the new tread design which is subtle as an A/S but effective based on the info on Continental's website.
    Just by looking at it, the design of the shoulder block pattern and the alternating concave/convex central rib is quite appealing.
    Has anyone had experience with this tire?
    Any comment/opinion would be appreciated.

p.s. Thanks "bobny11580" for your helpful opinion about Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. It's still an option even though I heard mixed opinion about the tire....

sj27
  • Options
    ny540i6ny540i6 Member Posts: 518
    I have a couple of opinions on this. First, all new tires need breaking in... they start out pretty slick until the mold release agents and other slippery stuff wears off. I also believe (no science, just opinion) that new tires are smooth, and that friction with the road roughens them up, making them grippier.

In addition, different tires behave differently. Using mt car as an example, I remember going from a sticky summer tire to my winter set-up a year ago, coming to a stop sign at a normal speed, braking at my usual braking point... and locking up and sliding into the crosswalk. It usually takes a few miles to get used to the differences.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the tires, and if you are satisfied with the safety and performance in snowy/bad weather, I would stick with them.
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    Is this peeling out "normal" with the power of the Maxima?

Yes, the Max is fairly powerful for a fwd car.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    jprskijprski Member Posts: 1
    I could use some help here…I am looking for tires for my 03 Trailblazer and am not sure if I should get A/T’s or All Season Highway tires. I live in NH so I get snow but don’t drive off road. Is there any advantage to having A/T tires for normal street driving or would I just be wasting my money by purchasing A/T’s? Anyone know the pros and cons of A/T vs All Season?

Thanks
  • Options
    Actually that is a good question.

I would say (with qualifications), if you do not need the A/T tires, you are actually better off getting the so called "highway" tires. Highway tires include examples like: Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, Yokohama H/T-S G051, Michelin LTX etc. I have a FEW miles with the Michelin LTX's (507,000) (in mountain snow, ice, desert, rain, off road, etc.). I have app 50k in A/T's (old model)And 50k i n Bridgestone Desert Dueler (highway) I am favorably impressed with the Yokohama H/T-S G051's. (less than 1,000 miles)

On the other hand, if you do your research, you will find that certain A/T's can blur the lines between highway and A/T tires. I got the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo (for a good price). (with 6,000 miles experience) My initial concern was the mileage would suffer on the highway. Also one of the things that made me leery of going back to an A/T was the tread noise (much earlier models Bridgestone Desert Dueler) almost drove me to drink! So I was most favorable impressed when I didn't lose any fuel mileage over Michelin LTX's and the tread noise was not any different than (Michelin LTX's) a normal highway tire! This also feels like a much superior tire all the way around than the Michelin LTX (which itself is a sterling performer)
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    I live in NH too and recommend dedicated snows rather than all-seasons no matter what type of drivetrain. I ran into problems with an improperly tired Audi Quattro climbing the steep
    snow-covered hill to my house. It wasn't the car's fault as evidenced by my ability to climb that hill readily in a RWD BMW 5er equipped with Blizzaks.

I assume your T'blazer is 4WD or AWD but you'll maximize it's capabilities by running four good snows.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    sthackersthacker Member Posts: 6
    I'm lookin for an inexpensive, well functioning air compressor. Any good recommendations out there? Does the type that plugs into the lighter outlet in the car work well?

Would a cheapo like this do the trick?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-250-PSI-Mini-Air-Compressor-30-Perssure_W0QQitemZ75604957- 61QQcategoryZ22662QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If it matters, we have a Honda Odyssey and a VW Passat sedan.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good question; you may want to ask over in What's the Coolest Tool in Your Garage? too.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    crankshaftcrankshaft Member Posts: 105
    i see some tire dealers stating they inflate tires with pure nitrogen.what does this accomplish instead of "air"?
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    It helps only if you're driving a semi truck and the tires last 150,000 miles. I read up on it after the earlier discussion in this group. Search for "nitrogen." You must be hearing the ads from Cincinnati from that local chain that advertises extra high prices because you get a "free" alignment when you buy 4 tires. They couldn't get my car aligned right on 3 tries. Even the head guy from Fairfax store came out to do it. Sears did it later when they put on new struts for me.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    The only "important" thing is it eliminates water vapour from the inside of the tires, but only if they ensure there is no water left after mounting (they quite often use a water based detergent to lubricate the tire when mounting it to the rim). Also, they would have to empty the tire of existing air and then refill with N2, and even doing this they don't get all the H2O out.

Water vapour reacts differently from other gases in air to temp. changes when the temp. transitions by 0 C (freezing), and this will affect the pressure.

Some say the O2 in air degrades tires, but I doubt anyone would notice over the normal life of a tire (around 5 years). The outside degrades much more due to ultraviolet (and visible) radiation from the sun. Just examine the inside of a tire when it is removed during replacement - it looks almost new compared to the outside.

It's a gimmick.
  • Options
    pigloverpiglover Member Posts: 25
    My used Ford Focus came with 195x70x14 tires. I am now getting a set of new tires that are 185x65x14. Would another wheel alignment be needed? I had a wheel alignment a few months ago. I would appreciate any opinions.
  • Options
    My book says the P185/65R14's are one of the original tires sizes and the only 14" listed.

And the alignment will not change as a result of changing tire sizes, but the question is: "Did the alignment shop do the alignment in a way where tire size does not affect the measurements" Probably!
  • Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I have never been a believer of alignments for the sake of alignment. Unless you hit a curb or your suspension wasn't tightened properly and potholes throw you out of alignment, no routine alignments are required. That's why they generally aren't even mentioned in the owners manual maintenance section.

That having been said, uneven tire wear is a good indicator of improper alignment; as is a pull, or drift, consistently to one side (but make sure you try on a normally "crowned", level to the eye, road). On our 2005 Honda CR-v (yes, a Honda!) both alignment and wheel balance were off, as indicated to me by a drift in the car and a tremor in the steering wheel. The dealer confirmed and promptly fixed both issues.

THERE IS ONE reason for doing an alignment when you have a new set of tires: it IS more accurate, since tire diameter can affect the read out on an alignment machine.

You also need to check alignment when you replace struts (but not shocks).

Finally, in my experience, headlamp adjustment, wheel balance, and wheel alignment are the most likely mechanical defects on new cars. Simple things, but they seem to get a little shortchanged at the factory.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    I don't understand how tire diameter affects the readout from alignment machines. They attach a device to the RIM.

I am a firm believer that the reason an alignment is recommended with new tires is to get the money for an alignment for the tire store while the customer is present and willing to open their billfold to spend for the tires. They are in a spending mood. If there were no problem with the alignment driving the old tires, there wouldn't be one for the new tires. If one is present, when new tires go on would be the time to correct it to prevent extra wear on the new tires.

If a person drives a while on new tires, they are more likely to stop somewhere other than the tire-selling store for an alignment and the seller misses out of the ability to make that profit. I'm not saying it's a sleazy tactic; it's just oversold in a few cases where alignment is not needed.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I agree 100% with the overselling aspect.

The reason tires (an air pressure!) make a difference is the height - true, the alignment machine is attached to the rim, but where the rim "sits" in space is determined by the strut assembly on top, and the tire wear/inflation on the bottom.
  • Options
    Finally, in my experience, headlamp adjustment, wheel balance, and wheel alignment are the most likely mechanical defects on new cars. Simple things, but they seem to get a little shortchanged at the factory

I agree. I almost think that the dealer should perform a wheel alignment and balance as part of the new car delivery procedure. Wouldn't that be nice!
  • Options
    I don't understand how tire diameter affects the readout from alignment machines. They attach a device to the RIM.

This is one that I am not sure about. I agree that the alignment tool is attached to the rim. However, the alignment of the front tires for caster, camber and toe in/out is very complicated and I can believe that the actual diameter of the tire can have some influence.
    If it was me and I had just dropped a bunch of money on new tires and had not had an alignment for a while, I would probably get one. Also, I get just about all of my tires from Sam's or Costco who do not perform alignments so I must go somewhere else, usually Sears.