Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Alignment...

Only if you have a habit of driving into curbs or over railroad tracks at an oblique angle.

My 01 AWD RX300 now has 38k miles on the Michelin CTs I installed right after I bought it and these tires are showing no signs of misalignment or unbalance....and have NEVER been rotated.

Balance.

I buy tires from Tirerack and always have them mounted by discount tire from whom I always purchase the lifetime balance deal. Absent some sort of flat or tire failure I don't remember ever having to have them rebalance any tire.

The right rear BBS 3 piece wheel on my 01 C4 had to be repaired three times and discount was careful to reinstall the tire in the same position and as a result the balance still checked perfect.

Turned out the wheel had a tiny hairline crack right at, very near, one of the bolt heads. Looked like the air leak was coming from under the bolt.
  • kente2kente2 Member Posts: 12
    Thank you for your thoughts. I was hesitant to have the work done, as the car drives so smooth!

I appreciate your thoughts, as some cars have their issues, and need extra work.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    We bought ours used with 58K about 8 months go, now it has 69K.

Excellent build, top notch seats/leather, perfect back seat(slide/tilt), good looks, solid feel. Best brakes.

Dislikes:
    Can't drive it in campground pulling campers. 3.0L is not sutable for pulling anything.

the largest turning circle in ANY class.
    Fan blower & temp controls are put in the wrong side. You reach for fan blower a lot more than temp blend.

Will trade it on a 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer in a heart beat ( List $37,200, can buy it for $27,800). The wife likes RX's soft ride, so we will keep enjoying the RX, until I am ready to get rid of one of my cars to get the Explorer.
    I drove Fords pretty much exclusively from 1961 to 1992, NEVER again, except maybe as a true utility vehicle.

93 Ford Ranger PU, purchased used w/120k miles, yard waste and garbage hauler. 94 Ford Aerostar, purchased used w/133k miles, for true AWD capability.

2001 AWD RX300 as daily driver.

1992 LS400 for "business" trips.

2001 Porsche C4 for FUN.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I contacted four dealers and found one quoted $577 + tax, and if I order it online there is a 10% discount on the labor portion of it. It also includes transmission oil change and fuel cleaner. I took these two items off and it becomes $577-$140=$437 plus tax. I think I'll order it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Another point of reference would be Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Steve, Host
    Thanks Steve.

I think I checked this reference like two years ago. Again I checked it just now and founs it's only $167 in my area (Bay area). I don't think I could find a place with that low cost, probably not even an independent shop that I could hardly trust.
    I suppose you should check for other dealer recommended service that may be included in your quotes - our guide is based on the minimum factory recommendations.

Then go ask the TV stations why the dealers overcharge for scheduled maintenance out there :-)

Steve, Host
  • emc3emc3 Member Posts: 39
    you may want to consider a Toyota dealer. I had the 30K done on my wife's 2001 RX in Jan 2004 for $230. If memory serves me the service only involves, per the book, oil and filter, air filter replacement (did that myself, piece of cake) changing the coolant and brake fluid and some inspections I'd bet the flat rate tech spends hours on :) That figure doesn't count the Mobil 1 I provided or the air filter I bought from an online vendor of Lexus parts. Our nearest Lexus dealer is 80 miles away and this Toyota dealer does a nice business servicing the local Lexi. Claims he has a Lexus certifed tech. If you have a Lexus dealer in town the Toyota people may not be so willing...
    Just came back from the dealer. I told them to skip transmission oil change, not to put in fuel treatment, not to change the air filter that I did like two months ago. The nice advisor said "you are the owner. We do whatever you want". So total out the door is $361. Not too bad although Toyota would be even lower than that.
  • glassbudglassbud Member Posts: 12
    Thanks to Mikey00 and all of you who made suggestions on fixing my RX300's acceleration problem. For those of you just joining the discussion, a brief recap. My RX took approximately 19 seconds to accelerate from 0-60. The dealer checked the vehicle and found no problems. Some suggestions on the discussion board included spark plug problems, or the possibility that the car was stuck in "snow mode". Mikey00's suggestion to disconnect the battery and let the computer reset solved the problem. We just drove down to Virginia Beach, and noticed the car was back to it's old self. We got pretty good gas mileage too (approx 23.5 mpg highway) with the car fully loaded and the ac on... Sometimes the simplest answer is the best... Thanks again
    So nice to hear it's back to normal. Ever since I read this "stuck in snow mode", I tried many times in snow mode just to see how slow it would be. Found the snow mode is still much faster than 19 seconds or so.
  • hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    Hi all,

I'm in the market for a CPO 2001 Lexus RX300. Prices in my area (Chicagoland) range from about $24-29k, depending on mileage, etc. There seem to be many of this year/model available, and I'm wondering how willing the dealers are to negotiate.

Has anyone bought a CPO RX300 recently in this area? Did you find the dealer willing to negotiate?

Any advice/experience is appreciated.

Thanks!
  • mmm1mmm1 Member Posts: 54
    Had an interesting experience today. Had tires on my RX rotated and balanced at Costco. Seemed to be taking a long time so looked through the window into service bay and noticed guy letting air out of each tire and reinflating it before balancing. Asked why and was told that this was the first day and my car was the first car for a new program. Each tire is deflated and then they put nitrogen in tires when reinflating. Idea here is that oxygen (plain old air) has smaller molecules than nitrogen and therefor nitrogen will not escape from tire as easily as oxygen. Plain old air also contains moisture whereas nitrogen is very dry. This moisture will expand and contract with temperature changes and therefor tire pressure will fluctuate. No fluctuation with nitrogen. Costco says that together moisture and oxygen have potential to corrode rims and hardware. In 50+ years of driving I've never had rims corrode but who knows. I guess its possible. Costco says any member can drive in and get tires inflated free with nitrogen regardless of where they bought the tires.
  • dkeyesdkeyes Member Posts: 2
    just bought a rx300 3 mos ago, 30,000 miles certified, been in shop now 3 time,cant seam to fix problem. need help. lights were flickering and terrible acceleration up or down, then battery completely die, they informed me at that time, that it was a 1 owner lease car, and had put a new short block in it, also showed in before for new, battery, yet the battery in it was not lexus installed which didn't make sense and i needed a new one this one bad,within a week this new one was acting up, lights flicking and no power in engine again, they tightened cables said was loose down by engine, worked for a week again, took in again and said cant find anything wrong with it, lights still flicker in consistently, and jerks inconsisty on transmissions shifts, also noticed that on radio/clock screen etc it sometimes has black line and other time not,,can anyone help me, dealer cant seem to find, said bring in if get worse , really dont want to take mos to figure this out,,,,,,,,,thank you you to anyone that has any suggestions.............
    I don't really have suggestions, but you can try what post #8264 did --- disconnect the battery foa a short time to reset the computer, then connect it back. More and more things are computerized now...
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    This does not sound like one of the more common failure modes for the RX which are often solved with an answer on this forum. I bet this problem was created by the dealer when the new short block was installed (bad/loose/missing connection or something else electrical). I would be relentless and "quick" in returning to the dealer until the problem is solved. Waiting a couple of weeks often looks like a "problem solved" to the dealer. It is not even the type of problem I would suggest trying another dealer for, being that your dealer is already in the middle of it. Document everything. Means it's certified try the Lexus 800 number after the dealer has at least a fair amount of attempts to fix the problem.
    In most vehicles the battery negative terminal is firmly connected to the engine block to provide a really good current flow for the engine mounted starter. Then somewhere on the engine block is a connection, often a braided wire strap, from the engine block to the car body.

This second connection might have been over-looked with the new engine installation and could definitely cause the symtoms you describe.
  • dkeyesdkeyes Member Posts: 2
    thanks to the 3 of you that was kind enuf for the response and suggestions ,thk you jiamin,mikey00 and wwest... anything at this time is at least a start...
    Be sure and post the solution once your problem is solved. Good luck.
    Mike
    I am sending this from Japan. I am seeing a lot of RX 300`s here. most don`t have sunroof or leather seats. All sold under Toyota name plates. Big time options here are Nav,electric folding mirrors, rear camera, front camera. Exteremly tight steets. Mirrors are everywhere. you wait your turn in tight spot. Gas is about $3.8 a gallon. I swear I have seen 500 different version of Toyota cars and mini vans. I can see how these guys` manufacturing is so flexible. they make 20-30K a year of one style and move on to something else.

I went to a part store. aftermarket oil filters were like $25! after market NAV system was like $3K.
    rof
    is where many Japanese go to buy Japanese products, cameras, etc.
  • peggyloupeggylou Member Posts: 40
    Went to get my first oil change (for me) on my CPO 2002 RX w/50K mi on it a couple of weeks ago. Asked about synthetic oils and they said they have a program with Castol Oil Syntec. I opted for hte Syntec Blend and went home and did research on INternet. Apparently Castrol and others are highly modified dino oil that has been "hydro-cracked" (whatever that is) whereas Mobil 1 is apparently the only "full" synthetic available in the stores.

Has anyone changed over to Mobil 1 for their RX? Any opinions on value of Mobil 1 vs high grade Castrol? What about oil change intervals with Mobil 1? I really love my car and hope to drive it to 200k so want to do right by it starting now.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
    PeggyLou
  • slandyslandy Member Posts: 46
    I have been using M1 in my 01 since the second oil change. I currently have 122K miles on the car. I use a Toyota oil filter and M1. I follow a 4k mile change schedule. At 100k miles I removed the valve covers and the oil pan. It looks spotless, there was not any varnish or anything. If I would have been using dino oil there would have been alot of varnish at least.
    Looks like the oil wars thread got lost in the software upgrade.

I used dead dino food at 7,500 mile intervals on my '99 van. It's at 96,000 miles - wanna come over and pull the pan sometime Slandy? Want to make a bet whether it'll go another 100,000 too?

Do what you like PeggyLou - I just follow the manufacturer's recommendation in my owners manual.

Recommended browsing:

Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2

Synthetic motor oil

Steve, Host
  • dick1dick1 Member Posts: 21
    My 2000 rx300 developed a squeeky noise in it when you go back and forth with it. Does it need some wd40?
  • slandyslandy Member Posts: 46
    So.... Are you implying that dino oil is as good an oil as synthetic? I am talking about in every regard. You ought to have your oil tested at the end of your 7500 miles and see what shape your oil is in. I would imagine it is sheared and has no TBN left in it at all. I change mine at 4k miles and have mine tested every change. The TBN is usually around 4 to 5, and thats with M1.
    It's a passenger car, not an F-16. I don't care if my molecules shear off in the first 1,000 miles. It's a waste, imo, to put synthetic oil in my car, and it's a waste to dump the oil out at three or four thousand miles.

Especially when I'm mostly following the factory recommendations for oil changes.

My cars lived outside in Anchorage for 20 winters and cranked just fine with dead dino too, btw. They went 10 and 17 years like that. I've decided it's not worth my time or money to do otherwise - ymmv.

For those hoping to leap to a hybrid from your leased RX 300:

"For those currently leasing either and RX300 or RX330, who’d hoped to trade in on the 400h, Lexus will extend their contracts up to six months without penalty due to the launch delay."

Michigan News Network

Steve, Host
    And I would be willing to bet that during hard winter you always used an engine heater so the starter could at least turn over the engine in the morning until it started.

But then you couldn't drive away until the power stearing and transmission fluid thawed enough to flow freely.

I never had the experience of 90 weight at those temperatures in a manual.
    I had a block heater that I'd run for 30 minutes to an hour in the morning if it was ten below F or colder (when I'd remember to plug it in the night before). Then I'd creep out of the subdivision before getting much above idle speed.

I'd probably still be driving the '82 Toyota if we hadn't moved and hit the road for a year.

Steve, Host
    Well put, Steve. IMO there is a lot of money being wasted on "improved?" oils, high performance oil filters, and shorter oil change intervals which exceed the requirements of the task at hand.
    Yee haw, now there's two of us against the world. :-)

Ok, back to the RX 300?

Steve, Host
  • 1452314523 Member Posts: 5
    Took my RX300 2001 to dealer after brake light failure light lit on dash. Just turned 53,000 miles. They charged me 36.35 to replace ONE burned out bulb! Not covered under warranty. Is this usual or did I get scalped? Seems steep to me. Any ideas on self changing of next $2.00 brake lamp?
    charged you at least $250 Canadian.

How many Lexus owners does it take to change a brake light bulb?

None.

That's a hardware job.
    Funny thing, the same thing happened to my 2001 at about the same mileage. I took the bulb out with the intention of picking up a new one at the auto parts store, but the element in the bulb still looked good. I put it back in and everything is working fine. That was over 10K ago.
  • ejsjejsj Member Posts: 10
    I've been offered a price of $28,500 for a certified pre-owned 2002 RX300 with 20,000 miles. Is this a good deal or should I press for a discount?
    How did you get the lens cap off? There are no screws that I could locate. I am ok with do it yourself, but the owner's manual is no help.
    Our Appraisal link will give you a suggested price - there's a certified used car price given after you plug in the color, options, etc.

Steve, Host
  • ejsjejsj Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, Steve. The price I'm being offered is about $300 below the Edmunds suggested price for a certified vehicle, so I guess that's a fair deal.
  • 02electronblue02electronblue Member Posts: 22
    My brake light also burned out. I referenced the owner's manual that said "see dealer."

I opened the hatch and couldn't find any screws, either. Then I noticed that there were a couple of small black round plastic covers. I pried them off, found screws, and changed the bulb without much drama.
    When I bought our 2001 with 58K miles, it had a burned out brake bulb. Got a pack of two at Walmart for $4.80, and replaced it myself. It was easy. I hate taking any of my cars to the dealership if I can help it. I bet they make more money in their service and parts than they do in selling cars.
    Thanks for the info. I will remember that next time I need a lamp replacement. Other than that, I love the ride and feel of my RX300 on the road. I absolutely hate going to the dealer because I know they will $$$ off me.
    Thanks for turning me on to Walmart for the replacement bulbs. I think that the $4.80 is a better price to pay than the dealer charge of 8.71 for ONE bulb. Next time I'll be ready.
  • pdswaypdsway Member Posts: 14
    My high-beams dont work anymore. Anyone have this problem?

Fuses are good. The little blue dash-light comes on but the actual bulbs do not light. I know my battery is weak, but doubt that is the cause.

Could it be that one bulb is burned out and now both dont work?

PDS
    Fuse or DRL circuitry.
  • lexrexbluelexrexblue Member Posts: 38
    I misplaced a set of keys. They wanted $169 for the valet and $259 for the regular key. I went for the valet key, but it took over 3 months! In the meantime I did find my missing set.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Lexus original remote transponder keys are now available on the aftermarket. See image:

Lexus Remote Keys

Locksmith shops which have high security "sidewinder" key duplicating equipment can source the blanks. Street price should be about half of what the Lexus dealers charge.

Pete
  • johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    I got burned on a previous car (not Lexus)when I had no high beams. What happened was one high beam burned out and I didn't know it. Later on the other one went so I thought I lost my high beams.

I would suggest that if you have the proper tools, disconnect one of the bulbs and check it with an ohm meter to see if the bulb is burned out. If it is, chances are that the other one is also burned out. If you can't do that, a good auto parts store might be able to test the bulbs if you can remove them

Good luck.
  • tiger2dolltiger2doll Member Posts: 39
    Hi All,

I have a 1999 RX300 bought used last year (Aug 03) with 120k miles. Car is perfect and rides very well. Pardon my ignorance, but how do I find out if mine is a FWD or an AWD vehicle ? It has the "Trac Off" button and "Pwr ECT Snow' button. Also, is it fairly easy to replace the "D" buld in the instrument cluster ? Which battery is the best for replacement ? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Rahul
    Has drive axles and CV joints to both rear wheels.