2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

The Stock Market and Investing

Comments

• Options
    cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    I've been rather busy with grand kids this morning. Did I miss the big news about AAPL on CNBC this morning? The way that moderator talked last week with the headline of "don't buy Apple" what happened? There was suppose to be huge news this morning.
  • Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    edited April 2012
    Charlie,

He was just on. CNBC primed us for the Super Bowl and we got the NFL pro bowl with flag tackling. Terrible analyst, unsure of himself and an overall terrible interview, The order from Gary not to buy a few days ago looks ridiulous after this interview. The analyst is worried about Apple margins 2,5 10 years out and as I expected his analysis was US based. So am I worried about the margins sustainable 2 years out but the revenue by then will be so high that a small hit in margins will be meaningless and the cash flow generation by then maybe double what it is today. This firm only manages $800mln of money. How CNBC put it on such a pedestal is beyond me and how this guy missed the boat on Apple the past few years is even more beyond me. Again the lead in was here comes a 25 foot great white shark to cut up all the ideas on Apple and what we got whas a goldfish highly unsure of himself. The best question was really not a question but a point by a different CNBC host when he said "you haven't identified who Apple's competition is" to take marketshare or pressure price I guess and the guy gave no answer.

The last thing I'll say on Apple is it keeps getting compared to Microsoft, Cisco and even Qualcomm at the height of their valuations. The problem was that they were all internet bubble stocks at the peak of their valuation. Microsft was trading at 80X, Cisco I believe at 75X and Qualcomm was going to own the cell phone market. Apple is trading at a measly 17X TTM and has $100bln in cash, growing at $50bln a year. So you cannot lump it or compare it to any of those stocks. They were bubbles requiring phenomenal earnings growth. This stock has its earnings undervalued. I may have been too late with my thought of $645 by earnings. $645 is imminent and $700-750 is now likely by earnings. That's my last comment.
  • Options
    This makes me even angrier than I was last Thursday when that so called moderator (Gary something) was warning not to buy AAPL. That guy should have been fired by now. Maybe he has been and I missed it. The kids di not go to daycare today and I have been very busy with them plus doing chores around the house.
  • Options
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,319
    edited April 2012
    That will especially impact first time buyers - and I'd wager everything I own the majority of those will end up being Section 8 properties - so you and I will be subsidizing the profits. And in 10 years when the houses are destroyed and the venture fails, will get to pay for the bailout?

Almost sounds like this was the goal all along. Two class second world order is well on the way :sick:
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,502
    I will say that I'll miss TM. I think he told of his active stock trades as that is what he liked doing and was good at...never interpreted by me as bragging. He told things as he saw it and reflected his savvy of business, religion and life.

TM, hope you'll change your mind and come back; unlike Merc1 who never came back. Otherwise, it's the death of this board as we know it :sick: .
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,150
    The conversation got pretty out of control, here. Personally-directed insults and name-calling, not to mention overt speculation about another member's personal life, are not welcome ANYWHERE in our Forums, even if that discussion happens to be an "off-topic" discussion.

We offer our off-topic discussions as a courtesy - we are, and always will be, primarily focused on serving the needs of automotive consumers. If monitoring this discussion takes our focus away from those goals, we will simply get rid of it.

Much of the recent conversation has been rather distasteful and disrespectful, and some posts have been removed. Frankly, I was pretty appalled, and it took some self-restraint not to just close up the topic right now.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    Looks like today is one of those, ahem, buying opportunities !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    A Shame ...Tony
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I believe that this is indeed a buying opportunity in the market. In fact, I have been stating for 3 years now that the bull market began in March of 2009. There will probably be a little more weakness the next few days, but there is absolutely nothing to convince me that the bull market is finished. On the contrary, I am of the opinion that we are still relatively in the infancy stages of the bull run.

My thinking is that the Dow will reach 16,000 within the next couple years as our economy continues to gradually improve. Even the housing sector which has shown definite signs of life in recent months will likely get more robust in 2013 and 2014. I don't care who is our next President. The economy will continue to improve at a little faster pace next year.

Some of you might think that I'm blowing smoke but I honestly have a good feeling for the future U.S. economy. Do you guys remember how many so called experts were forecasting a double dip over the past couple years? This has been some kind of a double dip hasn't it! :D There have been a few here (myself included) who have been in very strong disagreement with these doom and gloom folks and we have been proven right.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I tnink the US economy is in better shape than most folks realize and jobs data is improving as is retail sales and I think we're at or very close to the high in gas prices with a 10-15% decline in front of us, possibly 20-25% if the Iran issues blow over. The big issue is going to be Europe and whether or not there is contagion from it. IMO stocks overall remain about 10% below where they should be thanks to the European issues. It was more but that healthy Q1 closed the gap. I liked stocks to grow 20% at the start of the year and still do. I think we might have a nice rally today as we near the close in anicipation of a good jobs number tomorrow and the inability to trade tomorrow as it's a non-trading day. We'll see.
  • Options
    That's a fascinating article Len. The Nokia 900 seems like a very nice phone but as the author states, it does not have Siri, doesn't have many useful apps, and doesn't have other conveniences either. In all likelihood, it won't make it long term.
  • Options
    We have been and continue to be on the same page about the economy. I know I posted at least a few weeks ago about the gasoline prices likely going down this summer instead of to the moon as the so called experts have been predicting.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The apps market is very critical to future success of any tablet or smart phone. This is also what gives Apple such a huge advantage. Would you want the more technical TV set that can't deliver shows to you vs a great one that could? There's the problem for anyone trying to crack this market. The one thing Microsoft can do is write apps by themselves to gain traction but I think it'll come at the droids expense if it gets there. The big advantage Microsoft can have LT is it has a much better chance of matching up a smart phone and tablet to match Apple than Google has. Google is all over the place from driverless cars to these new funky glasses that you may be seeing today. I think every one of these are high risk, low probability items and if anything goes wrong with any of them they could lead to major legal liabilities. Also the fact that the iPhone makes way more money for Google than its own Android software does is very telling.
  • Options
    Well, Google is either "all over the place" or making sure they're diversified. Sure, there are some ventures like the self-driving car that seem silly, but the technology developed FOR those ventures may have other practical applications. We have self-parking cars, and self-braking cars. I'm sure there's a disclaimer about the feature not being a substitute for attentive driving - don't see lawsuits on those. If you're referring to the fact that a blind person used it, that was a PR gimmick. That would never happen unless states suddenly decided to give blind people driver's licenses, and I don't think we'll live to see that.

Apple is largely into electronic devices + apps. That's it. Being on top of that heap - any heap - is a good place to be.

But, keep in mind that in addition to the "high risk, low probability items," Google is also working on Google Fiber (http://www.google.com/fiber/kansascity/about.html), offering 1 gigabit internet speeds. That could be HUGE for Google.

(It's easy for me to wildly speculate, as I don't and won't have money in either of these stocks.)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    But Google is 95% search and derives very little profit from anything else so just about everything it's trying to do elsewhere is for naught.

Amazing stat on the Dow is that had it added Apple instead of Cisco a few years back the index would be close to 15,000 right now. It's incredible to me that Apple, far and away the largest market cap in the land is not a Dow stock.

But, keep in mind that in addition to the "high risk, low probability items," Google is also working on Google Fiber, offering 1 gigabit internet speeds. That could be HUGE for Google.

IMO, Google won't touch IBM or Intel on things like this.
  • Options
    Yes, they are 95% search - right now. And many years ago, Apple was almost all computers, before there were "i" products.

And I happen to disagree. I don't believe for a second that Google is just throwing money into the wind, just for fun.

I really don't enjoy focusing on a handful of companies, when I'm doing investing myself. It's just not... fun for me. I have (obsessively detailed) spreadsheets that I keep forever, and I enjoy going back and seeing if my buy/sell instincts were right or not. For example, I see I bought Syneron Medical (ELOS) back on December 5, 2008 for $40.47 a share, and sold it on December 8 at $45.20/share. Looked today, and it's at $10.42/share. Yikes! That was a good one. Now, what I ended up selling it in order to buy was... nearly tragic. Deere turned out to be a fantastic buy a few years ago as well, but I see I didn't get out of WAG at the right time at all (should have gone sooner, or waited a LOT longer).

But then again, when I'm playing by myself, I'm playing with what I deem "fun money," and a smaller overall sum, so it's more enjoyable for me to spread it out so I'm always watching and reading, and looking for the next potential buy.

Funny... my stock club (just a bunch of friends) made probably our best ever move when we bought Ford in April 2009 at around $4 and sold it in August for $8. Thank goodness, because at the time we were bleeding money on a crappy medical stock that one member thought was a "sure bet." He didn't get to choose again. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Fair points re Google and I'll bet if you polled their investors you'd get about 50% thinking they may hit something big and 50% saying they should focus more strategically and cut way back. I missed the boat on Google so I'm not one of them.

You've got to be real careful with med stocks. The problem is they can be grand slam home runs or total strikeouts. Comes down to rulings on drugs so often. Plus if they are successful you get a double hit - one for the drug being ok'd and another for the bigger drug companies wanting to take them over. They are side bets IMO and often have nothing to do with the market overall.
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    Kirstie, it is nice to have your perspective here. I wish I had your discipline on keeping track of past holdings, but most of mine, I had just as soon forget.

I don't know what to make of Google. I also feel like I missed the boat, but would never count them out. I think we will see some surprises in the future.

Stick around.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Oh, I absolutely agree re: med stocks. I think this one was actually for equipment, but still... it was a DOG.

Had another "yikes" experience with a company called Orasure. Their product (at the time) was an oral HIV test with rapid results. I bought on the recommendation of a friend who was a pharma rep (he obviously didn't rep for this company), plus it was a way for us to do something together - watch the stock and talk about it. Well, I put a pittance into it, relative to him, that is. He put in a BUNDLE. Tens of thousands. So, we bought in the $10/share range.

I can get pretty obsessive about watching my little investments, and I was with this one (mostly knowing that he had so much riding on it). I'm sitting there one morning reading the day's news about my various stocks, and I see something about Orasure come through. An increase in, and investigation of, false positive result rates. I see the stock starting to drop, penny by penny, and sold ASAP at a loss of about $1/share.

My friend is a late sleeper, so I knew he hadn't seen it yet. I was calling and calling his house and finally woke him up - a bit too late. He lost quite a lot. If you want to have some fun, you can look at OSUR history for the past 5 years and try to figure out about when I bought/sold. I didn't have it for very long.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    I feel like I missed the boat on GOOG too... BUT, I totally felt that way in 2008, too. I remember sitting at happy hour with a friend who had, early in the year, purchased at $450/share. After his early-year elation at the rise in share price, he was crying near the end of the year wondering if he should sell. (I don't give advice, I just buy them a drink instead.) At that time, I was wishing I had the $ to buy in at the closer to $300 mark, so I DID miss that boat.

To my knowledge, he held onto it. It's at $632 at the moment. If I were going to invest, I'd be waiting for a dip, because I think it'll go higher, but that's hypothetical as I'm not going to.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    I didn't necessarily intend to keep track of past performance. What I did do was set up an elaborate spreadsheet with my entire portfolio on it. I listed what I bought each stock for, and the number of shares. I had a column for each market day. At the end of each market day, I would go through and list the closing price for that day on EACH stock, and calculate what I would have, in total, at the end of each day if I had sold all stocks that day.

When I sold a stock, I'd list the sold at price, then turn around and list exactly what I bought to replace it, then continue with the same daily calculations substituting the new stock's daily closing price for the old stock's closing price. I even listed the exact time & date of buys & sells.

Obsessive? Yeah.... I had to stop doing that kind of day trading, because it did make me obsessive. I would be afraid to get up because one of my stocks might do something while I was away - something I'd want to act on - or that one of the stocks I was *thinking* of purchasing might do something to make me want to act. It was fun for awhile, but unless I was going to make a career out of it, kind of crazy. :) And I know I'm not good enough to make a career out of it.

Anyway, I just never got rid of my spreadsheets.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Kirstie,

First of all, I apologize for the events of the other night since it appears that in your opinion, I was out of bounds. I believe that folks here know me well enough to realize that it is NOT my character to hurt anyone, period. If anything, I am quite gullible and I usually give someone the benefit of the doubt. However, I always strive for truth and justice. For example, the events with the MF Global scandal, have made me extremely upset. Where is the justice there?

Secondly, I must tell you that you are an awesome writer and your command of the English language and grammar is incredibly impressive. I have seen some moderators on other forums (Lexus Club forums for example) who are terrible with grammar, sentence structure, etc. They write as if they never graduated from high school. I think that's rather shameful for someone in that position.
  • Options
    I don't want to get into anything personal, and I hold no grudges. But, let's just say I saw the whole to-do unfold, and saw some comments, and thought about how I'd feel if I saw the same words written about me.

Thank you for the compliment, though I cannot take complete credit. My undergraduate education in other languages afforded me the opportunity to closely examine English grammar, syntax, and word usage in ways that I hadn't previously thought to do. (Who knew we had a subjunctive?)
    My eventual long-term profession was in the area of medical research compliance and medical research grant writing - as you might imagine, clarity and accuracy make a LOT of difference in likelihood of obtaining funding, and likelihood of the necessity of follow-up questions re: compliance reporting submissions. That was definitely an art acquired over time.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Kirstie - Sounds like you've had a very interesting career and now I understand why the emphasis on med stocks. Daytrading BTW is hazardous to your health as far as I'm concerned. It's got to effect your personality in a negative way as well, usually making someone obsessive and you are not investing but gambling and you become an arbitrage specialist, though usually with no training. I know of nobody that does it consistently well.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I didn't necessarily intend to keep track of past performance. What I did do was set up an elaborate spreadsheet with my entire portfolio on it.

I did the same thing. However when Schwab and Fidelity websites got up to speed I felt it was redundant and let it slide.
  • Options
    Up until now Apple computers were relatively unscathed by hackers. Too few to bother with. That has all changed as of today.

Hackers hitting Macs with virus: industry experts

The computer security industry buzzed Thursday with warnings that more than a half-million Macintosh computers may have been infected with a virus targeting Apple machines.

Flashback Trojan malware tailored to slip past "Mac" defenses is a variation on viruses typically aimed at personal computers (PCs) powered by Microsoft's Windows operating systems.

The infections, spotted "in the wild" by Finland-based computer security firm F-Secure and then quantified by Russian anti-virus program vendor Dr. Web, come as hackers increasingly take aim at Apple computers.

"All the stuff the bad guys have learned for doing attacks in the PC world is now starting to transition to the Mac world," McAfee Labs director of threat intelligence Dave Marcus told AFP.

"Mac has said for a long time that they are not vulnerable to PC malware, which is true; they are vulnerable to Mac malware."

Dr. Web determined that more than 600,000 Mac computers may be infected with Flashback, which is designed to let hackers steal potentially valuable information such as passwords or financial account numbers.

Hackers trick Mac users into downloading the virus by disguising it as an update to Adobe Flash video viewing software.

Apple has long boasted that Windows machines are more prone to hacking than Macs.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/hackers-hitting-macs-virus-industry-experts-202856151.h- tml
  • Options
    You do write very clearly :) I on the other hand just stumble along ...I got badly burned with Danderion (sp) a while ago, so don`t venture into the medical stock world at all.....Almost all of the big pharmacy companies really have no assets other than their `pipeline`..A hard learned lesson ..

Thanks for the leadership Tony
  • Options
    Gary,

You beat me to It. I saw the Dow Jones version of this article a few hours ago, but I did not have time to post it yet as I got busy with the grandkids. The Dow Jones version was painting a more negative picture on Apple because according to the author this was yet another "blemish" on Apple. In other words, look out Apple. There have been too many problems lately. Ya right.
  • Options
    No more of a blight on Apple than on Microsoft. Criminal hackers go for the most publicity. With Apple in the spotlight it was understandable. I hope no one here gets hit. Forewarned is forearmed. I am surprised there are not any trojan horses in the smartphone world. Maybe there are and I just have not read about it.
  • Options
    Actually, the med stocks I mentioned were the only two I personally held. There was one more - the absolute dog that we held in our stock club. But Syneron & OraSure were the only two I bought and sold, and only held them briefly. Having those two, plus watching a few others led me to the same conclusion several members have mentioned - they're risky. If you get in on a good one early, you can make a bundle, but that's not the level of risk with which I'm comfortable.

I definitely considered what I was doing to be gambling. I'm a detail person, so even though my tracking and recording was obsessive, I enjoyed it. I know that if I'd done it long-term, it would have affected my personality. My stint was mostly an experiment, and a learning opportunity, as I'd never traded before. I'm also too cheap to do it "for real" - as with gambling, I only played with a sum that I was OK with losing. And, in truth, you'd have to do really poorly to lose it ALL.

There are healthy and pathological versions of just about anything. I didn't let myself play long enough to get to the latter.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR

• Options
    Bad jobs report today will put a lot of pressure on stocks on Monday. It looked like a more robust report was fortcoming and expected.

More on the Microsft phone here and Microsoft means business on this one. Again I think it comes more at the expense of droid phones if it develops and getting these apps written is crucial for Microsoft strategy not just for the phone but for its future tablet development. If it fails here it likely fails in both.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/06/technology/to-fill-out-its-app-store-microsoft- -wields-its-checkbook.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    While we were all befuddled about why Apple was valued so low last year with such incredible earnings growth this column may give the right answer as to why that was happening. While everyone was in fear of the company without Steve Jobs the truth may well be that the exact opposite should have really ben true all along. Now that the fear of a "Jobsless" Apple is over, the company has skyrocketed this year to a more realistic pricepoint, but IMO one that remains way too low.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/04/06/why-did-apple-drift-sideways-in-2011-and-- - - take-off-in-2012/?source=yahoo_quote
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,200
    But haven't the jobs data, real jobs, dropouts from job search, total new jobs, all been adjust for the worst in the last 11 months. The data comes out one month and then there's a correction later as more certain data comes available.

I don't know why anyone would feel we have more people working at better jobs than years ago, e.g. Eventually this is going to affect the markets.

What impact will the increase in capital gains have when it takes effect unless renewed at the 15% mark.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Len, I do believe that fear of the unknown about a "Jobless" Apple had a lot to do with a stagnated stcck in much of 2011. However, I also believe that there were forces out there that intentionally were doing everything in their power to drive this stock down. What further evidence do we need for proof than a lot of the bozos on CNBC who are always in doubt about Apple? However, these forces are getting weaker by the day now.
  • Options
    Cramer on CNBC see credibility to a $1000 Apple in 2015 with $80 per share estimate giving it a 12 times earnings price. That would be at the lower end of competitors' PE's.

• Options
    Hi Len

We all discussed this all last year, and the truth be told, I don`t think anyone can comprehend all the different effects day trading, instant trades, the huge pools of money possibly manipulating , etc.....Your accounting knowledge gave you the `courage of your conviction` and Charlie just had the `belief`....I just couldn`t get a position, but that sure didn`t mean I wasn`t pulling for everyone......

I remember when I purchased AOL back it the boom days, and it went up say four times in less than a few months...I may remember wrong, but I had such a nice gain and I wanted to take it in the new year...I sweated `bullets` as that stock just continued to soar, and I think it was the second of Jan when I unloaded...It continued even after that---then the market soured and the Gov took so much time approving the merger with Ted Turner and Time , the stock ultimately collapsed......Tony
  • Options

In response to you post, I would like to say ---the people I know (rich and poor) are benefiting from a turned economy.....More business is being done, and people are getting back on their `feet`, have a more positive outlook, and are beginning to think about the future...Most of us on this board have reported on our personal observations from time to time, and largely it has been positive.....Don`t believe the government statistics, as they are `possibly` manipulated to serve their own agenda.

I personally think the housing market holds the key to our economy improving in a dramatic fashion...such as alot of worthwhile jobs.....I suggested more than a year ago that I though this section was improving, and I can un-equivocably say Charleston S C is undergoing a full recovery on that front --right now--

There is a backlog of houses for sale, but it is being eaten away....I don`t think this is a flash in the pan, but a powerful surge that will eventually lead to higher prices, and even more sales, more additions, more furniture, mattresses, and every conceivable financial service......Then the election and probably an addressing of the deficit which will be smaller......I have not a clue about the taxes , or any of the political stuff.....

One day I was driving to the farm and there stood a house for sale--way in the country--I wondered to myself, `who would possibly want to buy that house, and how would they (bankers) value it?` A few weeks later there was a `sold` sign..... :)
    Tony
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I believe we will see it at $1000 well before 2015. The article that Len linked above tells an awful lot about where this stock is headed and fast.

As an aside, wow have I had a busy day babysitting for a 15 month old and and a four year old. My son-in-law and daughter were busy cleaning up the apartment they just moved out of to their nnew house here in Akron. Speaking of new houses, i will respond to Tony on his post about what is happening here.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Tony, you are a very wise man.

When my daughter and son-in-law decided back in December to build a home here in a brand new development, there was a model home and that was it. Now there are about 10 homes finished (including my daughter's) and several lots have a hole dug up for new construction. That's just on one street. The homes are being built by Pultey. So, just based on what has transpired in the past few months here in northeast OH, I would say you are right on about the housing situation looking much better. Btw, I believe my daughter pretty much secured the lowest mortgage rate back in January at 3.75%. I'm not sure we will see anything that low again.

I honestly have no doubt that the tide has turned.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The Times story is good. A poster to that story says it really well as to Apple's place in that market:
    "..I have a Mac and I love it, but I must say Apple's edge is gradually becoming one based in marketing and fierce brand loyalty than anything else. They have succeeded in framing the demand around things they emphasize rather than the different advantages PC makers emphasize. There are real Mac vulnerabilities and that number will only grow with time."

A friend of mine purchased an Apple stand alone after I repaired the software on his PC the second time for damage due to negligence in keeping virus/malware software up-to-date. I don't think he even put anything on it to protect the Apple. He had an arrogance that it was invulnerable to outside forces.

I see reality coming for some of the Apple faithful with this information. And I wonder how much vulnerability extends to other products.

However, though I never ventured into Apple on my own (several mutual funds are heavily into Apple), I often take the approach that stocks and Wall Street climb a wall of worry. Apple's vulnerability is that they didn't act decisively with the information about the infections. Depending on how they handle this now, it could turn into a positive. They could do as Microsoft has done and make available a free antivirus and internet security program.

• Options
    Galaxy Note may get me into a Smartphone?

Samsung, the world's second-largest handset maker after Nokia Corp., said it estimates first-quarter operating profit of between 5.6 trillion won ($5 billion) and 6 trillion won.

Analysts said Samsung's top line has been buoyed by stellar sales of its smartphones and a phone-tablet hybrid product, Galaxy Note. The mobile device sector is expected to continue to be the biggest cash generator for the company.

Samsung's first-quarter smartphone shipments likely tripled on year to around 44 million units and will probably exceed 50 million in the second quarter, said Kiwoom Securities' analyst Kim Sung-in.

In the fourth quarter, Samsung was neck-and-neck with Apple Inc. AAPL +1.50% in smartphone sales. According to market research firm Strategy Analytics, Apple had a 37% market share, narrowly edging out Samsung's 36.5%.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304072004577326412059489368.html
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,319
    edited April 2012
    Note has been out for a couple months in Europe, and I am unaware of any carrier selling it yet in NA. This place rocks! :sick:
  • Options
    AT&T is the only carrier with the Note. They are out as a friend has one. Verizon is rumored to get the Samsung Galaxy Journal to compete. Nice thing about the AT&T version is EU compatibility. The Note is far and away the latest and greatest smartphone.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=Samsun- g+Galaxy+Note+%28TM%29+-+Carbon+Blue&q_sku=sku5610251&source=EC0000BKV014000P#

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/28/samsung-galaxy-note-review/
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I’ve had every model of iPhone, and prior to that a lot of Windows Mobile devices.

So, why the Note? Honestly, I couldn’t find a major reason in the store to not pick it up. The size was awkward, but the AT&T rep explained (and so did a lot of folks on xda-developers) that the size begins to melt away after a little while using the device. So, with no other obvious reasons not to chose the Note with it’s massive 5.3″ screen, S-Pen and gigantic battery – it only made sense to go big and return it if I wasn’t up to the task.

I’d argue that my call quality has improved since moving to the Note and the number of dropped calls I’ve experienced has gone way down with no change in the network.

Overall comfort while hold the phone to your ear is excellent as well – much more comfortable than I thought it would be. Long story short – it’s a better phone than the iPhone has been for years.

I started this process referring to the Note as a monster and wondering if it was an iPhone Killer. I’m going to end it the same way. A short while ago I ran into an issue with the Note, so I took it back to AT&T and at the same time decided to switch back to the 4s. I was concerned that the issue I had would continue, and honestly Android didn’t hold much weight over iOS for me without the S-Pen so going to the Skyrocket wasn’t a thought. I figured I would live with the smaller screen size in hopes that Apple would increase it with the next device.

That switch lasted less than an hour and I knew I had made a mistake going back to the 4s. Within 24 hours I was back at AT&T, paying the $35 restocking fee and going back to the Note. I love iOS, and if I could get it on the Galaxy Note I would in a heartbeat, but not even iOS can make up for the tiny screen size on the 4S or the functionality I’ve found with the S-Pen. While the Galaxy Note is a monster, once you’ve spent some time with the device it’s not as big and scary as it once seemed. It turns out the Samsung Galaxy Note is an iPhone Killer, at least for me. And that’s the only iPhone killer that really matters isn’t it… the one that kills your iPhone.

http://isource.com/2012/04/07/review-samsung-galaxy-note-oversized-iphone-killer- - /
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    My son (living in Seattle) ordered a Galaxy Note as soon it was available a couple months ago. It came from Europe. Don't ask me how he did this. In any case the Note is just right for him. To me it looks too large for a cell phone. But it has everything that he needs.
  • Options
    I have big hands and hate wearing reading glasses. So it may be the answer. It will have to be a good navigation device or a no go. I will probably wait until they offer the latest Android OS. Very hard for me being retired to justify any kind of smartphone or Cell phone. We carry one when traveling. Though it seems there are many places with no signal if you get off the Interstate system. It seems every month something new comes out to seduce the masses. Selling 44 million cell phones in one quarter and being number two behind Nokia blows my mind.
  • Options
    Well Gary, I'm retired but there is no way I can do without a cell phone. I use it constantly. For example, when I drive (especially long distances as I will be doing tomorrow) I am on the phone an awful lot. I talk to friends, relatives, stock and commodity brokers, etc. while driving (handsfree of course). I find that I actually get a lot done this way.

I am sending you this message from the iPhone. And for whatever the reason, this site will not allow copying and pasting using the iPhone or the iPad. I have tried multiPle times without success. Maybe Kirstie or one of the other moderators can explain it. I have no trouble copying and pasting from any other site.