2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

The Stock Market and Investing

Comments

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...just buy one for goodness sakes. The rule of technology is the best piece of it for you will be introduced two weeks after you buy one.

At this rate, you'll be researching smart phones from the grave...

:P
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,200
    >from the grave...

How's the cell service from there? Many dropped calls, I wonder? Or dead zones? (Sorry, I just had to make a bad pun.) ;) :P

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,150
    I couldn't possibly explain it - I'm a host, nothing to do with the technical aspects of this site. Plus, I've never tried to access this site on a mobile device. Even my laptop isn't mobile as it sits in the same spot

You can submit a question using the "help" link at the top. That'll get it to people who know things about stuff. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    edited April 2012
    In what may be the boldest proclamation in the report, the decline in Apple sales that comes as a result of this carrier trend could lead to a revenue miss of up to $1 billion below the current consensus analyst estimate for the fiscal third (next) quarter, according to the analyst.

The last analyst to downgrade Apple was BGC Partner’s Colin Gillis in October of last year. The stock is up more than 60 percent since that downgrade as iPhone sales came in better than expected, a new iPad was introduced and the company declared a dividend. Forty-five analysts have “buy” ratings on Apple’s stock, just five have a “neutral” rating and only one has a “sell.” It is the most widely-held stock among U.S.-based hedge funds.

AT&T, Verizon [VZ 37.506 -0.154 (-0.41%) ], Sprint [S 2.70 -0.06 (-2.17%) ], Deutsche Telekom, Vodafone [VOD 27.2599 -0.1001 (-0.37%) ], America Movil [AMOV 23.80 -0.20 (-0.83%) ] and Telefonica will be among the carriers to dangle fewer iPhone upgrade offerings to customers at a subsidized cheaper price, said Piecyk. And as Apple expands further into emerging markets, where prepaid plans are the norm, carriers will be less likely to offer these subsidies to the company.

“We expect post-paid wireless operators to remain firm in their plan to stunt the pace of phone upgrades in 2012 and we expect to see some initial evidence of their success in the current quarter,” wrote BTIG’s Walter Piecyk, a veteran technology analyst, in a note to clients Monday. “This will increase the need for Apple to grow its business in the pre-paid dominated emerging market space, in which handset subsidies are a rarity and the $600 ASP (average selling price) of the iPhone represents a big chunk of a household’s monthly income.”

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46993240

• Options
    ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    edited April 2012
    With Apple up on a down market day I doubt anyone is taking this analyst seriously and I think he's farfetched to think that carriers will do this to Apple and no one else. If I'm a carrier I'd be worried about Apple's power over me rather than vice-versa. In fact I just read a story over the weekend about HTC losing marketshare. Remember the moment a carrier gets you on a 2 year contract they have $720 in internet fees. And the moment any carrier tries to do what he states they'd be worried like all hell about losing customers to other carriers. I could see carriers raising rates to $35 a month before doing what this analyst thinks.

Next gen iPhone is supposed to incredibly fast:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/rumor-apple-already-testing-next-162542746.html
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,319
    Oh, I didn't know the Deathstar carried it. So, you can get the phone, just hope you don't ever have to contact them for service - I've heard horror stories, the company has a rep. Telecom executive leadership has to be up there with the domestic automakers in terms of skill and accountability. From ATT handing over $4BN in cash and other goods due to arrogance, to T-Mo "leaders" pretty much sinking the ship, it's amazing. Maybe the only good ones are the Verizon marketing team.

Regarding buying a Euro market device, it is common. I am not even sure if they lock devices to carriers, but there is a huge grey market for smartphones. Go to the website of a leading Euro carrier and check out their available devices, then check any US market carrier - it is mindblowing. You can buy pretty much any device you want that works on our frequencies, but it won't be cheap.
  • Options
    cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    Len,

I'm driving west on I 80 today but I did get a glimpse of your post earlier. In my opinion, you're right on target as usual. I think that analyst is out of his mind. I agree that since Apple is up and making new highs on a substantial down day for the market in general speaks volumes.

I just stoppped to get some gas in western Illinois. I've been fighting an incredible headwind all day since I started this morning from the west gusting to 40 miles an hour or greater at times. The fact that I have averaged 25.8 mpg is rather amazing with this kind of headwind. I only put in about 5 gallons since the gas in IA is much cheaper.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    edited April 2012
    just hope you don't ever have to contact them for service - I've heard horror stories

I could tell you many horror stories dealing with AT&T. However while in AZ at Thanksgiving my wife's Cell phone was not working. It is several years past the contract now. We stopped into the AT&T Wireless Store. A young lady turned it on and promptly told us the Sim Card was not up to date. She popped in a new one and all was good. She also said many times when you go from one region to another it is a good idea to do a reset by pulling out the battery.

I think Samsung divides the goodies between the two majors. Verizon got the Samsung Nexus with Android Ice Cream Sandwich. Then AT&T got the Note. Since then Verizon got the Galaxy 7.7. They are not interchangeable between the carriers. Verizon is a CDMA carrier and AT&T uses GSM. An AT&T phone will work in the EU and as far as I can tell most Verizon phones will not.
  • Options
    It's the Deathstar customer service I have heard horror stories about - likely offshored so a few can consolidate profits, no doubt. There's no way to win as a customer in that market, you either pay through the nose, have iffy service, or maybe even both.

I think Verizon has dual CDMA/GSM devices available, but I don't know if they actually sell. If one is to spend any time in Europe it's best to get a local SIM and maybe a cheapo phone anyway.
  • Options
    My wife's sister spent 3 weeks touring Scotland. They checked on using their US cell phone and the cost was prohibitive. They used the old fashioned method of sending post cards. Much more personal than a stinking text message. I am thinking again about the Verizon Samsung Galaxy 7.7 with just the 4G LTE service. I can get it with a $30 per month contract. I will mostly use WiFi. I can get Skype for $2.99 per month nationwide. And use email. The other good option would be the iPad and just buy service when I need it.

Speaking of Apple, we have an 84 year old lady in our church that carries an iPad with her bible loaded on it. Much lighter than a heavy bible. She is a huge fan of Apple, has a Mac at home. In talking to her it seems her late husband bought several thousand shares of AAPL in the 1990s. So far she has resisted selling any. Does not want to pay the CG tax. She has a comfortable retirement from her 40 years at Bell Telephone.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Interesting comment on CNBC this morning re hedge funds positions in Apple. They are way underinvested in the company owning only about 4% of the shares. So they missed the boat on this one probably because they are always looking at high priced multiples for growth stocks. They then play the game of driving those stocks up and then shorting them so they make big profits on both ends. But you can't do that with a high growth company trading at a low multiple. So now I understand why these guys are always trying to talk down the company. They need to enter and they want to get in as cheap as they can. Another comment that was interesting was that even large institutions and mutuals are underinvested relative to the S&P. I would guess that the new price records are being driven by large institution accumulation of the stock. I'd be very cautious about buying into any hedge funds comments on anything and most certainly on companies like Apple.

The hedge fund guy that was on CNBC last week (who they promoted to no end beforehand) with Gary was a joke. Yesterdays analyst who came out with a downgrade did use solid logic on his write-up. I don't agree with his analysis but I certainly wouldn't criticize its logic or financial analysis based on its logic. if he is somehow right. The only thing I disliked is he said that the sales of the iPhone would fall in the quarter after the next which is far out. While he used the subsidy argument as his cause he also said that it would be caused by the iPhone 5 intro delaying purchases. So that was a CYA move on his part IMO. If sales fall off is because of pent up demand for the iPhone 5 rather than a subsidy issue he'll be right briefly and wrong overall.
  • Options
    I am completely amazed how people I know will pay a big penalty to upgrade their iPhone after only having it a few months. I debate those sort of purchases more than buying a new car for cash. Maybe it is a character flaw on my part. On buying AAPL. After our friend told me of her position in Apple I looked back on the charts. If I had bought Apple when I bought McDonald's in 2003 I would be in very good shape. I have been tickled with MCD going from $14 per share to $98 since 2003. That same week in March 2003 AAPL was selling for $7 per share. Amazing for those that believed in Apple back then. I was not one of the elect.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Len,

I was watching that segment this morning as well and found it rather interesting. In addition to what you stated above about the funds being under-invested on AAPL, I thought that what Cramer said (or started to say) was even more revealing. He started to say that "we have had people on our own network who have been"......and then he went off on a tangent as they were talking about analysts having buy or sell recommendations on AAPL. Instead of naming names on CNBC that have been negative on AAPL, he started talking about Gary Kominskey's "brilliant presentation" on whether Apple could be another JDSU? So, he did not come right out and state that Kominskey and a few others appearing on CNBC have been full of baloney, he tried to praise him about what he called a "brilliant presentation" that made no sense. In other words, Cramer did not want to call anybody out in a direct way on this subject.

Btw, that Melissa Lee, who was trying to put down AAPL when the stock was at $350-$400, now acts like she has been positive about AAPL all along. She is a dodo.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Btw, that Melissa Lee, who was trying to put down AAPL when the stock was at $350-$400, now acts like she has been positive about AAPL all along. She is a dodo.

How they went from Dylan Ratigan from a few years ago to her as host of Fast Money and other segments is way, way beyond my understanding.

Much better than expected earnings report by Alcoa after the close. Let's see where it leads us tomorrow.
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    You might want to mention to her that the capital gains tax may go up next year. Those shares should be worth a fortune.

She might plan to never sell them and leave them to her heirs. In that case they would benefit with the stepped up basis, etc., unless somewhere in that 2700 pages of obamacare that has been changed. :confuse:

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I wonder if it might not be smart to possibly set up a trust and sell a house that has substantial appreciation, to take advantage of the tax free half a million gain??

I have been told that the taxes are going to remain as they are, but can`t help but wonder about the estate tax...You can give away a large amount of money this year tax free....

I wonder also what the lady would do with the proceeds of any aapl she were to sell?? after all it is the finest investment going imo Tony
  • Options
    How they went from Dylan Ratigan from a few years ago to her as host of Fast Money and other segments is way, way beyond my understanding.

TV is driven by ratings and by looks/age.

You Compare - You Decide:

vs

• Options
    edited April 2012
    This is totally off topic but is a very intriguing article in todays NY Times. I have always been fascinated by the Titanic and when I watched Cameron's movie I often wondered what I would have done if I were on that ship with my family that night. As we near the 100 year anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic the Times has been running some stories on it. This one should interest everyone but especially Charlie as it details some very unusual meteorological conditions that introduced mirages to crew members of the Titanic and and the nearby (at the time the Titanic started to sink) Californian that night. Had the Californian not seen the distortions from the mirages it might have been able to go to the Titanic for aid rather than move away from it without understanding the tragedy that was already unfolding. In addition there were very rare and unusual astronomical conditions that affected tides around that time that the story details. I was always amazed on how the Titanic hit an iceberg so close to the Gulfstream waters and the very rare astronomical events of that time may have been the cause in conjunction with the unusual meteorological events of that night. Fascinating new data about the sinking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/10/science/a-new-look-at-natures-role-in-the-tita- - - nics-sinking.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Rob,

I believe he wanted his own show apart from Fast Money and CNBC took a hardline on it. But the dropoff in talent from him to Melissa was like that from an NFL team to a college one.
  • Options
    She might plan to never sell them and leave them to her heirs.

I suspect that to be the case. I would imagine the bulk going to her Son that is the director of a large Mission Work in Mexico. She seems to live quite comfortably. She is very generous helping people financially. I will mention the CG going to 20% in 2013.
  • Options
    I too have been fascinated with the thoughts of the Titanic, and think Cameron`s movie one of the best I have ever seen.....I guess I am a `romantic` at heart..

On that note we have purchased several bars of soap that was the type used in the `first` class section.....It is a pleasant enough type, but whenever we break out a bar, I think of those souls who used the `same` that awful evening....they not knowing what was about to happen..

I`m sure you would be the `gentleman` and assist your family to the life boat, and then take your chances with whatever were to come....Tony
  • Options
    Could be a good idea...but you should consult your attorney/accountant just to be sure you are on solid ground.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    edited April 2012
    We went to see the Titanic Exhib a few years ago. It was just starting out at the time and I thought many of the exhibits were poorly presented, etc...but still eerie and fascinating. Hopefully it has grown and gotten better over the years.

And yes, a great movie.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    We went to it while down in Miami, and thoroughly enjoyed it in a rather melancholy way......In fact I don`t think there was any talking other than hushed voices, and I think the other people felt the same way...Tony
  • Options
    This one should interest everyone but especially Charlie as it details some very unusual meteorological conditions that introduced mirages to crew members of the Titanic and and the nearby (at the time the Titanic started to sink) Californian that night. Had the Californian not seen the distortions from the mirages it might have been able to go to the Titanic for aid rather than move away from it without understanding the tragedy that was already unfolding.

Wow! This is tragic and fascinating at the same time. I had no idea about this new research. Maltin's book about the mirages makes a lot of sense. It really now seems as if there were no villains in this tragedy.
  • Options
    I can just imagine all the politicians (and others) who are clipping this article for use in their battery of excuses when something goes wrong and they get caught. I guess it came out to late to save Bobby Petrino at Arkansas !! :)

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Just saw this come across...stock up 4 points at the moment.

DOJ sues Apple over price-fixing scheme

Regards,
    OW
  • Options
    Obama is behind it for sure. He is still upset with Jobs position on hiring US citizens vs H-1B engineers.

What a silly lawsuit. People don't have to buy eBooks. We still have libraries and most now offer eBook checkouts. More frivolous waste of tax dollars. The market will correct any price manipulation. I would never buy an eBook for the exorbitant prices currently asked. I do load all the free classics into my wife's Kindle account. If you wait a year after the book is published you can usually buy it online or at a thrift shop for a buck or less.
  • Options
    This is bothersome, but I believe there will be some sort of a mutually beneficial settlement. I'm not sure if this story is the reason for AAPL sinking about $9-10 from the highs. The big dip took place several hours after this story came out.
  • Options
    As I read the discussion, the setup is price fixing. If it were cars involved in the scheme, would it be more important to actually let the free market find the price without collusion among the manufacturers?

The only troubling part I see here, is the DOJ has some other things it has chosen not to prosecute in a Philadelphia voting location problem and with bounties placed on a US citizen by a group--I'd also like to see them find those items and prosecute.

• Options
    I see this as pocket change for Apple. Not good publicity but minor to trivial.

• Options
    I see this as pocket change for Apple. Not good publicity but minor to trivial.

I'm sure you're right.
  • Options
    Well Charlie I got a look at my taxes today, and it emphatically pointed out the value to `long term` holdings vs trading.....Taxes are very high, and might be going higher.....unless of course you have long term, then they are more reasonable....Tony
  • Options
    Funny conspiracy theory, I bet MSFT employs more H1-Bers, Gates and friends aren't exactly enemies of the Dems. You're right about it being a waste of public funds.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Well Tony, at least you got yours done. I have to file for an extension. There are too many complicated K-1's (business and commodity trading related) that the CPA could not get done on time. I'm changing CPAs but the original guy needed to get all the K-1's done since he had all the records/information from past years. He (old CPA) promised he will have everything completed by tomorrow, but the new CPA will not be able to finish my and my wife's return (filed jointly) by next Tuesday. He and his firm are just too busy. The old CPA was suppose to have everything done with the K-1's a couple weeks ago but he failed to do so. Oh well, an extension isn't the end of the world.

Yes, the great majority of my stocks including most of AAPL are long term.
  • Options
    Was working on taxes all day and just got them done. I guess all of us who are doing them so late owe money.
  • Options
    It is hard to imagine that any of the tech companies have more than 50% foreign workers here in the USA. India is threatening US over raising the Visa fee from $2500 to $4500 on H-1B workers coming to the USA. It only applies to companies that have more than 50% foreign workers.

India challenges U.S. immigration rules at WTO

(Reuters) - India has launched a complaint at the World Trade Organisation over the cost of U.S. work visas, which it says are too high and discriminate against a group of Indian IT firms, in the latest sign of prickly trade ties between the two allies.

The complaint is at the level of WTO "consultations" between the two parties - the last step to resolve a disagreement before entering a full-fledged legal dispute.

"India is taking up consultations on this issue and hopes to solve it amicably," an official at the trade ministry said on Wednesday, asking not to be named because of the sensitivity of the matter.
  • Options
    In my case , I earned more than the previous year.....That should have been obvious, as the economy is better than thought.....Now to come up with the funds to pay it :) Like pretty much all of us have said , things are better, and particularly the stock market....Tony ps Charlie I wonder if you can take a writeoff for the money you have not gotten back, and the when you get it --write it back on??
  • Options
    Tony,

The tax ramifications from the MFGlobal scandal are fuzzy. One day, I spent 3 hours on the phone (mostly on hold) with the IRS trying to get a concrete answer. It was such a waste of my time. The consensus is that since there is yet no proof of fraud and that we will probably get the rest of the money at some point, then we need to act as if everything is normal. In my and my family members case, we show profits on trading for 2011 and we need to declare it as such even though we have not received 28% of money yet. It's a travesty.
  • Options
    I don't know what weapons India could hold in that war...who needs who more? Our self-titled "capitalists" who are now addicted to cheaper offshored or imported labor will probably get the rules as they want, in the end - as they have now.
  • Options
    It is a travesty-----if I were in your shoes, I would talk with your accountant, and insist that the un returned funds be treated as a loss (maybe a trading loss against trading gains).....The IRS does not know if you get the funds back or not, and right at this moment they are `gone`......If they are returned, then you can write them back on...Maybe Len could have a thought....

I`v been audited many time in the past, and the IRS is just a regular organization...to be treated with respect...but the use of hind sight is what tilts the table their way......If by chance you don`t get the money back then you are able to use that to you advantage....It usually takes a couple of years before they strike, and you can amend when you get your money..

I`m sure my thoughts are dated, but i`m sticking with them :) Tony
  • Options
    There was an article today on Yahoo Finance (Breakout) that speculated that this may just be a test case. What Obama and friends really want is to go after Apple's itunes, because they control so much of the music industry.

Obama hates everything that Apple stands for and is great friends with Bill
    Gates. Once the DOJ goes after you, there are no winners. Just a threat like this is enough to affect stock prices.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    I saw that. It said Apple controls about 70% of music sales but that is because it's the best store and so many folks have iPods, iPads and iPhones.
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice Tony. However, there is no way I am going to try and pick a fight with the IRS since I am not in desperate need of this money at this time. At some point, everything will equal out.
  • Options
    The other end of that is there is always a 1040X to reclaim whatever benefits you missed in filing the 2011 return (after your extension). I'm in the process of filing a 1040X now that I've finished my current returns.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Obama hates everything that Apple stands for and is great friends with Bill Gates

Obama has the oil companies, the banks that almost put us into a depression as great as the 30's and who knows how many others to go after and investigate and he goes after a company that has the most popular products in America. Apple has 70% of the music industry because they had the only business model that worked at the time.
  • Options
    It brings back memories of Bill Clinton killing MSFT stock with his silly investigation. It can be argued it was the beginning of the Dot.com bubble bursting. What most non stock watchers do not know the Nasdaq has never recovered. And it was a far deeper slide than 2008. We are still about 2000 points under the March 2000 peak.
  • Options
    Will Apple get into a price war with giant Samsung?

Samsung Electronics America is prepping a new line of aggressively priced Galaxy Tab media tablets and even smaller Galaxy Players for a U.S. release beginning this month and into May.

Samsung's new 7.7-inch Galaxy Tab 2 launches on April 22 at $249.99, while the 10.1-inch model will begin shipping on May 13 at $349.99. By contrast, Toshiba's recently announced 7.7-inch and 10.1 Excite tablets are being priced in the $449.99 to $499.99 range.

The low prices are an effort to better compete with U.S. market leaders Apple and Amazon. Samsung will launch the latest products through Best Buy's retail outlets as well as Amazon's online Web site.

Samsung's aggressive pricing strategy for its next generation Galaxy Tab 2 models is a clear challenge to market leader Apple. Piper Jaffray believes that a new 7.7-inch iPad is in the works but does not expect to see the new model launch this year.

"We continue to believe that Apple will release a sub-$300 iPad with a smaller display in calendar year 2013," wrote Piper Jaffray analysts Gene Munster and Douglas Clinton in a March investor note.

When we asked whether Piper Jaffray foresees an earlier launch date for a 7.7-inch iPad, Clinton responded in an e-mail Thursday, saying, "Our thoughts on the timing of the smaller iPad remain unchanged despite Samsung's [latest] Galaxy releases."

I played with the new Samsung 7.7 along with the new iPad. I like them both. At $249 for the Samsung it is a slam dunk. I makes the Kindle Fire seem ancient.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Obama hates everything that Apple stands for...

C'mon - do you really believe this?

The DOJ went after Apple and some publishers because they came up with a scheme to fix the retail pricing of e-books that caused the other major distributor of e-books - Amazon - to raise their prices or lose the rights to sell the product. Amazon felt the price floor they set was too high. Now Amazon should have been gone after some time ago as they were selling e-books at below cost to keep it's Kindle selling better than the Nook.

As for iTunes - unless the DOJ can prove that it has the ability to control the market and raise prices, nothng is going to happen.

Remember - monopolies are not illegal. Using monopolistic or ogolopolistic power to restrict trade and control prices to the detriment of the market is.
  • Options
    C'mon - do you really believe this?

There is NO DOUBT the lawsuit is vindictive.

Jobs' Meeting With Obama

Jobs, who was known for his prickly, stubborn personality, almost missed meeting President Obama in the fall of 2010 because he insisted that the president personally ask him for a meeting. Though his wife told him that Obama "was really psyched to meet with you," Jobs insisted on the personal invitation, and the standoff lasted for five days. When he finally relented and they met at the Westin San Francisco Airport, Jobs was characteristically blunt. He seemed to have transformed from a liberal into a conservative.

"You're headed for a one-term presidency," he told Obama at the start of their meeting, insisting that the administration needed to be more business-friendly. As an example, Jobs described the ease with which companies can build factories in China compared to the United States, where "regulations and unnecessary costs" make it difficult for them.