Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

The Stock Market and Investing

1207208209210211213»

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,366
    kyfdx said:

PrimeCap seems to be closed to new investors it seems. Did find a few target date funds that could also work. Like a Balanced fund and like the low administrative costs that Vanguard has which is why I was with them many years ago. Since I have some extra funds sitting in my savings account making almost nothing, might as well put it to good use for the time being.

If you want some bond exposure, target date funds are a great vehicle, especially if you are 65 plus
    I've got my 401(k) in a target date fund, but am having thoughts about moving it all to an IRA. Have had conversations with a CFP from Fidelity.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    There are things you can do with an IRA, that you can't do with a 401K.

Mostly related to QCDs. But, it looks like we won't have RMDs until 75, now, so we have some time to think about it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    QCD?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Qualified Charitable Distribution, I assume. Also, Roth conversions aren't allowed in some 401k plans, and direct investment in individual stocks or ETFs is usually restricted to 50% of the account balance. 401k plans (arguably) offer better asset protection from creditors.

The target date funds aren't always a great match for taxable accounts, but if we're talking about tax-deferred, Roth, or HSA, I think they're a great choice--that's what I have in those accounts.
  • Options
    corvette said:

Qualified Charitable Distribution, I assume. Also, Roth conversions aren't allowed in some 401k plans, and direct investment in individual stocks or ETFs is usually restricted to 50% of the account balance. 401k plans (arguably) offer better asset protection from creditors.

The target date funds aren't always a great match for taxable accounts, but if we're talking about tax-deferred, Roth, or HSA, I think they're a great choice--that's what I have in those accounts.

I guess it's tax deferred, since it's a 401(k). Turns out the date rated funds are not all created equal, and the one I'm with at Fidelity has more risk in it than we're comfortable with, hence the discussion to make the switch.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    If you plan on living another 30 years, risk is your friend, when it comes to investing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    Sandy, don't forget you can easily get 4+% interest rate for your idle funds with online savings accounts.

Yes, time is your friend. While timing might not be.
    Oracle stock I've owned for (too many?) years has recently begun a healthy move upwards, pulling back this week. Of course.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    With the target date funds, the commonly used trick if they are too aggressive / not aggressive enough for your desired glide path is to switch to a different target year. You generally get the same funds, in a different composition.
  • Options
    corvette said:

With the target date funds, the commonly used trick if they are too aggressive / not aggressive enough for your desired glide path is to switch to a different target year. You generally get the same funds, in a different composition.

Probably true, but I've also learned that each company has a different mix of investments for the same target date year. In my case, I've got 2030 funds. For Fidelity, the mix of stocks and bonds may currently be 60/40, but it could be 50/50 for Schwab.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    corvette said:

Good advice. In our case, we've picked a later target date, to be more aggressive, but still have some bond exposure.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Would love to get another 30 in but, think more like 25 would be doable. But, my grandma from the old country did live to be 103, so there's some long life genes on my side. We shall see.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Any opinions about annuities?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558

Whoever sells them to you makes a lot of money.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Agree with @stickguy. I've heard the Fidelity reps push them pretty hard.
  • Options
    What stick said, but if you get a fixed annuity (not fancy, indexed, variable, etc.), and understand all the details, may be a decent part of the portfolio.
    Beware of riders!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    And, hating the second half stock market so far.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798

And, hating the second half stock market so far.

The never-ending roller coaster. I think we should get a complimentary doggie bag with every trade.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    this week I feel less guilty that I rolled over all the old 401Ks to VG and still have the money sitting in the money market fund (I think paying about 5% still).

• Options
    so if someone can tell me what day the S&P will bottom out so I can buy in, I would be grateful!

• Options
    So far, I'm not liking the January Effect as much as I had hoped to.

• Options

So far, I'm not liking the January Effect as much as I had hoped to.

Pretty big run into year end.. bound to slow that roll.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    My portfolio is back to where it was (or better), pre-pandemic. Of course, I've contributed a decent chunk, in the interim.
  • Options
    corvette said:

My portfolio is back to where it was (or better), pre-pandemic. Of course, I've contributed a decent chunk, in the interim.

It's easier for me to track, as I don't contribute, just take. And, yet.. I have as much as I've ever have had. The 4th quarter of 2023 was very good.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    corvette said:

Ditto.
    But I'm trying to get to 11.

• Options
    edited January 17