Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Pathfinder

Comments

• Options
    driverjoedriverjoe Member Posts: 6
    Were there any issues with the 96's or 97 PFs?
    I want to get one and I'm not sure whether that's a good year or not.
    Does anyone have any input on this issue?
    ....or is this 2000 and up discussion only?
  • Options
    sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I understand that the 96 was a relatively bad year for the pathy. It was a new model and Consumer reports gave it a marginal rating. I say "relative" for a reason. A 96 PF will still likely be more reliable than most other 96 makes, it was just not up to pathy standards. I would think a 97 would be a better buy.
    BTW my sister owns a 96 PF with 60k miles and no probs at all. Sorry we can't be more helpful, most people here come to edmumds because they are looking to buy a new car and want invoice prices. They then naturally migrate to these boards. So, most of us have newer pathys, but there have been several links posted to other boards, but I can't remember the addresses. Maybe this is where some of the other long term users can chime in to help.
  • Options
    couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    When I inquired at my local Nissan dealer, I got this blank stare ...

Do you know the part number?

Thanks ...
  • Options
    pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I just dropped in there to get some more (car should come with 4). Same deal - blank stare "I can't find a part number". Parts manager (what a guy!!!) had them on the counter for me. P/N 99998-601382 - called Tie Down - quantity 1 (4 in a padded bag). Paid $9.98 + 0.70 GST.
  • Options
    duperduper Member Posts: 127
    You can check out the 4x4parts.com forum. Many folks over there have older model of Pathfinders and can offer some help

http://www2.4x4parts.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi

• Options
    gkatz1gkatz1 Member Posts: 296
    Thule racks are available at most bicycle dealers including online accessory catalogs, try performancebicycle.com. Also, go to Thule.com.
  • Options
    meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    tupper1: I'm not to concerned about the transmission issues. Some like to feel the shifts and some don't like to feel shifts at all. I have a very good friend that works in the Nissan parts department at the dealer where I purchased my PF and he told me that he doesn't know anyone local that has any vibration problems. I think this
    is a very spirratic problem. Mine drives very smooth. Ask if you
    can demo the car for a day before purchase?
  • Options
    tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    Driverjoe:

I own a 1996 Pathfinder LE. Personally, the main problems I have are similar to what you read: hard shifts, tranny vibration, and stuck gas pedals. Personally, it's annoying to me and I want to get rid of mine. Also, there's a "clunk" coming from the rear area after I stop and take off again. Not sure what it is, but the Nissan dealer said "it's the LSD, it was designed that way." whatever...
    Personally, I would avoid this car. Pony up a little more cash and buy a 2001 used or get a new one. Better yet, buy a sportwagon or a car. better value and ride.
    Also, resale value is TERRIBLE. I bought mine used and it's depreciating faster than I can pay it off. sucks...
    As for me, I'm gonna get rid on my Pathy in the next couple months and buy an A4 or TL.
    Overall, it's a matter of personal choice. This is not going to strand you, but after an 8 hour drive, you wanna get heck out of it (seats are VERY uncomfy).
    well, if anyone knows how to fix these problems, otherwise, best of luck Joe.
  • Options
    tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    the pathy shifts REALLY HARD between 1st and 2nd in the 1996. there is also a lot of "play" when the accelerator is pressed while the car is rolling. it's like the transmission is trying to engage again and you feel the "clunk" from the tranny. there is also a "buzz" that comes from the tranny when pushed a little harder. i've read similar complaints on this thread on eariler posts about the '01, so Nissan engineers haven't fixed it yet.
  • Options
    longdaylongday Member Posts: 8
    As part of the purchase of my new 2001 Pathfinder LE, I had the dealer add in 4 window rainguard visors. When I went to pick up my new car two weeks ago, I was told the ones they had would have to be cut in front to fit around the mirrors, so they did not put them on. Instead they said they would order genuine Nissan ones and do it in a week. I had them put on yesterday and when they were done, although the Nissan name was stamped on them, they were all chopped up around the front mirrors and I pointed out that if I drive on the highway, these would cut into the soft window rubber seal as well as my paint. Incredibly they told me, "Nissan does not make them, they are aftermarket and with the Nissan name stamped only." I told them that somewhere in America, some 2001 (or same size) pathfinder owner has rainguard visors that fit.
    If you are out there, please let me know anything you can about where you got them and what brand they are. All I want are ones that fit!
    Thanks,
    -Steve
  • Options
    ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    I guess I wuz robbed then...no tiedowns were provided with my new PF on delivery! I dsid get the cargo net tho.
  • Options
    ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    What diameter are they...perhaps Home Depot stocks them?
  • Options
    nissanlovernissanlover Member Posts: 48
    It seems like many people who are shopping around PF01 have trouble to understand rebate and special APR.
    Unlike other deals in Altima(one or the other from Rebate/%APR), PF01, you can take BOTH Rebate and Special APR(0.9% upto 36Month, 3.9% 36-60Month). There will be huge difference on total interest you will pay for 0.9 and 3.9. For my case, I loan $20,000 and I am only paying $280(total interest) for 0.9% while wasting extra $1500 if I took 3.9 with 48Mo.
    Don't get confused by Edmunds.com and CarDirect.com which tells you have option to take one or the other.
    I almost purchase a vehicle from Cardirect.com, and their representative don't tell you can take both deals.
  • Options
    Today, I saw 2000 PF LE but it had power antenna. While my new 01PF LE doesn't have power. I think that's shame to drive $36000 car without power antenna. Don't you guys agree? I saw some power antenna kit are selling in Ebay. Does it fit in my new Path?
  • Options
    My Path is new with Black color. I think my thermometer is way off from actual Temp. During day time, it goes up to 95F while I feel it is cool in outside. What's up with this? Bad/malfuctinal Thermometer?
  • Options
    How tough is installing rear Wind Deflector? Do I need drilling? Where can I buy them? Any aftermarket product which is almost good as Nissan Parts? Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    1marcus1marcus Member Posts: 2
    To add an extra level of protection on my new '01 SE w/5sp (great truck, no complaints!!!) I want to change all of the fluids/oil to synthetics. What brands and types are you using in the manual tranny, front and rear(LSD) diff's and in the transfer case??? I am thinking of Mobil1 products. Can anyone share their experiences??
    Your help will be appreciated!!!
    Mark
  • Options
    longdaylongday Member Posts: 8
    Problem solved. The General Manager acutally put them on himself after pointing out to his mechanics that the front of the guards slip under the side mirror so they should not be chopped off. You would think a Nissan dealer mechanic would have a clue!
  • Options
    captainroncaptainron Member Posts: 58
    When I first got the LE, I had the same opinion...Why doesn't a $36,000+ SUV come with a power antenna? I even looked into retrofitting the pathfinder with a power antenna. Never really got around to it and after spending the day yesterday off road, I'm glad it has a fixed antenna. I wouldn't go more than 5 minutes through the trees without the fixed antenna catching on something and bending back as far as the windshield and just springing back. I was impressed how durable it was.

Yeah, you could just not have the radio on and the power antenna would be protected, but sometimes you forget...and replacement power antenna masts go for around $50.

Anyway, just my $.02

Captain Ron. . .
  • Options
    scottdrbscottdrb Member Posts: 2
    After much research and debate, I settled on a new PF (the 0.9% APR & $1000 rebate sold it for me!).

After reading in the past about the fax technique, I tried. Simply made a list of what color/options I wanted, and faxed it to 6-7 dealers in the Fort Worth area (NO phone #'s given) requesting their lowest No-Haggle price. Received quotes from $1000 over invoice to $700 under. Settled for the low bid - North Texas Nissan in Denton.

I'm really pumped. It's time I trade in my trusty but true 1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R (awesome car- Car & Driver top 10 car).

Questions: Get the bug deflector?

Also, anyone got the Yakima Anklebiter bike roof attachment?

Glad to be joining the PAthfinder family. This is a great discussion board!

Scott
  • Options
    couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    I have one on my Canadian 2000SE. One nice thing about this antenna is that it retracts when playing CD's - so you can be off-road, enjoying music and the antnna is nicely tucked-in ...
  • Options
    meca2meca2 Member Posts: 284
    1marcus:Several like myself have switched to synthetics. Amsoil is the best on the market. I use it in both diffs. I also use amsoil air and oil filters. I starting using Valvoline syn. engine oil at 1600 miles mostly due to avalibilty away from home dealer told me you could start using any time you wanted. Just hear/say someone while back used Mobil 1 engine oil and had high oil consumption in their PF.
    Mobil changed the formula for Mobil 1 and looking in the synthetic oil form it looks like some engine are sludging from Mobil 1. $02
  • Options
    Yeah, my mom's Maxima has same feature with Power Antenna. It only pulls out whenever Radio is operating. CD and Casette player will pull it down automatically..
  • Options
    I drove my new Path and find out it really takes more gas than what I expected. We have Nissan 240SX and Maxima but their gas mileage are pretty good. From full tank, I got only 140 miles when the needle is in half way. Is that mean full tank of gas only give me around 300 miles?
  • Options
    lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Just another one of the benefits of going up to Canada to get your Pathfinder. Canadian models get the power antenna. Not only do you save $4000, you get more little features. For those of you who don't have it, I'm sure you could get the parts and retrofit. But it probably won't be cheap.
    -Jon
  • Options
    joef4570joef4570 Member Posts: 29
    To Scottdrb....I wish I had opted for the Nissan tow hitch for $300. bucks more when I bought my 01 LE. Hitch mount bike racks are convenient and safest for the vehicle. The Nissan OEM hitch for the 01 Pathy is very good quality...I have the Nissan bug guard. There have been complaints on this board about dealers botching the install resulting in scratched paint. If you are at all handy, it's easy to get and install yourself. Just make sure there is a rubber bumper at every point where the guard mounts touch the hood.

Here' a link:

http://www.nissan-accessories.com

You're going to love it...The Pathfinder Rocks!!

Joe
  • Options
    sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    This topic has been a recurring one for the entire 16mos that I have been following this board. It appears that the outside ambient temp sensor has been put in poor location in front of the radiator. Personally, mine is always at least 7degress F too high in the summer. If I get into it in a hot asphalt parking lot it could be 10-15 degrees high. It usually comes down some with driving (I think the time required by specs is 5 mins), but never hits the mark.
    In contrast, during the winter it is fairly accurate. Some posters have gotten better readings by relocating the sensors themselves. I haven't gotten around to this yet. My PF is a lease, and I don't want to screw something up before lease end.
  • Options
    wlee8wlee8 Member Posts: 7
    I have question about Pathfinder 01 LE AWD with Leather package. When the headlights are on, does the Power Window Lock and the Heated Seats switch light up as the rest of the instrument cluster ? It is interesting where the dealer told me that it is normal and the switch does not light up. It is kind hard to believe. Also how do you activate the power heated mirrors. The manual does not mention anything about the heated mirror; however, it is standard on all levels of the Pathfinder. Any information is appreciated. Thanks will
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It seems like these JD Power studies come out every month....

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    vikingfan2vikingfan2 Member Posts: 8
    Congrats on your purchase. Quick question for you - did the price of $700 below invoice include your $1000 rebate; was it your final price before taxes, tags, etc. Sometimes, not often, dealers will negotiate a price, then when you bring up the rebate, they're quick to say it was already factored into their low no-haggle price. In other words did your price start at $300 over invoice, then you subtract the $1,000 rebate for $700 below invoice?? Or is your final price (before taxes, tags, etc.) the $700 below invoice less an additional $1,000 rebate for a price of $1,700 below invoice?? Just curious, I'll be purchasing mine (either Pathy for Q) in the near future.
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Glad to see that the initial quality survey (ranking the PF #1 for midsize SUVs) is consistent with my own situation. I have yet to have even the slightest problem with my 2001 PF LE (dang...did I just jinx myself??).
  • Options
    scottdrbscottdrb Member Posts: 2
    vikingfan2,

The final price did include the rebate and all but TTL for $700 under invoice. I could have maybe squeezed a little more out, but that was a price I could live with, and obviously, they could as well. This method was so painless, it was almost fun. On my faxes, I only left them with my name and fax #, so there was absolutely no haggling. Give it a try...

Scott T-24 hours....
  • Options
    kmrqkmrq Member Posts: 50
    Yeah, my pathy eats gas real fast, but when I have a full tank, and use until the pin goes to the half way, I usually have around 150 to 160 miles on it, and overall, I usually get 15-16 mpg. This seem to be low compare to others who posted here. They said they get around 16-17. But I rarely get on highway, but when I do I press on my gas paddle(drive around 80 to 100 mph). Also I have over 25,000 miles on 99.5 pathy plus stainless steel Blitz SUS intake, which allows pathy to use more gas than usual.
  • Options
    lspanglerlspangler Member Posts: 102
    I just got back from a trip to Kentucky from Michigan. We towed a Sea-Doo and had the truck full to the roof with camping gear all the way up to the front 2 seats. No problems other than the suspension occasionaly bottoming out and the cruise seemed to surge occasionaly on flat surfaces. I got 23 mpg on one tank of gas!!! My front passenger window is a little sluggish going up but other than that I have 10,000 trouble free miles. No dealer visits so far.
  • Options
    mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    My front passenger window seems like it continues to try and go up...even after reaching a fully closed state.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I can hear it clicking every once in awhile trying to go up when it's already up....it primarily happens immediately after it's rolled up...continues trying for about 5-7 seconds.

I'm gonna have it looked at this Friday...just curious if anyone else had this problem and what Nissan did to fix it.

Thanks,

Mike
  • Options
    omega11omega11 Member Posts: 36
    Has anyone found neoprene like seat covers for the 2001 pf?I'm looking for a seat covers similar to those that are available on the Xterra.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Mine doesn't light up either. I have AUX switch right next to heated seat switch, and it doesn't light up either. So I guess you shouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    I posted this question several time, but would some one please answer this question? I just want to know if I have to drill or remove some parts before installing. Or is it just 3M self-adhesive? Thank you!!
  • Options
    My floor mat seems weird. I only have "Pathfinder" logo on driver side floor mat. Passenger side doesn't have one. I don't want to be nosie but it is unusual to see only one side. Also, my logo placed vertically while some floor mat has logo horizontally(one that sellign on Ebay). Why there a such two different floor mat? Are they differ by year?
  • Options
    wlee8wlee8 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the information on the power window lock and the heated seat light. Regarding the Logo, the Pathfinder logo is only on the driver's side. I have check the passenger side and there is no logo as the same in my 98 Maxima where the logo is only on the driver side. On both the Maxima and in the Pathfinder the logo is horizontal. I can not explain the vertical. Regards
  • Options
    pcrowlespcrowles Member Posts: 11
    I'm a Chicago buyer who just purchased a 2001 Sierra Silver LE with leather package/limited Slip Diff and received 0.9 APR for 36 months and the 1500 cash back. The final price after the cash back, tax, title, and tags was:

Thoughts? It certainly looks like a good deal to me.
  • Options
    mtt999mtt999 Member Posts: 15
    I bought the Acrylic Rear Window Deflector year ago from United Nissan part in Atlanta. It was easy to install and no drilling required. All you do is to replace the two hinges with the two special made hinges come with the Rear Window Deflector. Tools you need are phillip and flat head screwdriver and a 10mm socket if I am not mistaken. I found its easy and save time by replacing one hinge at a time that means you don't have to take the rear window off your SUV. Other people in this forum that I read a while ago also did the same. Good Luck and Enjoy your SUV!
  • Options
    summerskye1summerskye1 Member Posts: 5
    To what extent do you folks predict Nissan will sweeten the buying incentives after Labor Day? Is there any chance that Nissan will offer 0.9% financing over 60 months? I realize this information isn't made public until the deals begin, but I thought perhaps the knowledgable folks on this board might be able to offer educated guesses.

Thanks so much!!
  • Options
    sxsahasxsaha Member Posts: 15
    I am from the Philadelphia Area and am currently looking to buy LE4x4 Pathfinder with leather and vcp entertainment system option. The prices I am getting are 30,500 to 30,800. I just wanted to know if you folks think Its a good deal. I would really appreciate if I geta feedback so I can take a decision.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    captainroncaptainron Member Posts: 58
    Are you serious? Grab it! Invoice on that truck is $33,795. That's assuming: LE, 4x4, leather, ent, hitch, body side mouldings, wind deflector, limited slip diff, floor mats and microfilter (No navigation). If you can pick this up for $3,000 under invoice, like I said...grab it! As I've written here a few times, an invoice deal should be easy to get...anything below that is a bonus. Now with the current rebate of $1,500, getting a $1,500 under invoice deal should be attainable by most folks (that's exactly what I paid for mine in February). An additional $1,500 under that is almost unheard of! Canadian purchases notwithstanding.

Captain Ron. . .
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Here's a question for all you service manual owners or anyone who may know. For the 7500 mile service the owner's manual calls for you to inspect the following items:

Brake pads, rotors, drums, & linings
    Steering gear, linkage & transfer gear, & axle & suspension parts
    Drive shaft boots
    Exhaust system

I have a feeling I could do this if I knew what I was looking for. Does the service manual detail exactly what to do? I called the dealership to find out how much the 7500 mile service "inspections" would cost, because I do the oil change, rotate the tires, & grease the propeller shaft my self. They told me the 7500 mile service is a package deal & it would cost more to only do the items I need... umm.... ok. Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. Anyway, let me know if you can help. Hopefully I'll get the service manual soon. Thanks a lot...
  • Options
    lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    In my opinion a bunch of crap too. Especially at the rate they will probaly want. Change the oil yourself and take a look at things. You will probably save enough for a nice weekend out on the town (or maybe even out-of town). I do have the shop manual and I believe that the inspections are just like many dealership mechanics perform them:
    Yup, it stops. Yup, it steers. Yup, it moves. And there's some shiny pipes underneath it too.

Sorry for the sarcastic nature. Been burnt by dealers before on this. I know there are very competent mechanics out there too. But the dealers push too much for a quick job and ask all that the customer can possibly pay with no relation to the complexity of the work to be done. I do most all my work myself now.

-Jon
  • Options
    I swear my 2001 PF LE has the logo on both floor mats in the front. I'll check once it quits pouring down rain tonight here in Biloxi, MS.
  • Options
    Yes, my PF has the PF Logo on both the driver and passenger side floor mats.
  • Options
    joef4570joef4570 Member Posts: 29
    For those of you interested, I just had my 7500 mile service by the dealer on my 01 LE. I'm in NYC. Here's the damage:
    Oil Change..........................$19.95
    Rotate tires........................$15.95
    Inspect Brake pads, rotors, etc.,...$15.95
    Regrease Propeller...................$9.95
    Inspect Steering gear, linkage,transfer
    gear, & axle & suspension parts
    Drive shaft boots...................$14.95

Joe