Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Tribute

Comments

• Options
    phillyguy2phillyguy2 Member Posts: 27
    My comments directed at Cinci regarding Pathfinder were meant as a commentary on my excellent experience on 2 previous,and still 1, SUV's. Since I am now interested in downsizing, I checked out all mini SUV's. My initial impressions on Trib were positive, but the research turned up so much negative info, I got spooked and crossed it off list. If I was confident that major issues(engine stalling,etc.) were behind them, I would have reconsidered.However, on various web posts there are still problems, even though these cannot be authenticated(check msn.com-reviews & others). Still, people are buying them but some continued buying Edsels,fiestas,older Hyundais,etc. with known issues.
    Mazda is not going to stop selling Tribs and Ford is still selling mucho Escapes. I'm just trying to cut my odds of making a bad choice.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    cincinnati in #992 referred to the vehicle not being made by Honda, not not being made by Nissan.
    Clear as mud, right?

And sho wha if I been drinkin'? Wash it to ya?

Actually, I just wanted to put up post #1000.
  • Options
    caltmancaltman Member Posts: 240
    Yeah you're right, suvshopper4, I didn't read back that far. Sorry.
  • Options
    murocflyermurocflyer Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone drained and replaced the transmission fluid in their V6 Tribute? The owner's manual only gives dry fill amounts and I know it will drain out much less than that. Thanks

frank
    murocflyer5@hotmail.com
  • Options
    adnipsadnips Member Posts: 36
    Caltman,

I bought a loaded ES 4WD Trib at invoice COST! I used a fax attack to narrow down my choice of dealers in the Atlanta area who were interested in making a deal. With over 3000 miles on the vehicle, the only issue is the wind noise on the driver side which I can live with. I still think the Trib is the best value in a mini SUV. Good luck in your search. Spinner
  • Options
    caltmancaltman Member Posts: 240
    Too late for me. My wife and I bought a 2002 Nissan Xterra 4X4 SE Supercharged Monday. I liked the "truck" feel and real 4WD better. Still think the Tribute is a great value though.... hopefully they will iron out the big problems with it.
  • Options
    Has anyone drained and replaced the transmission fluid in their V6 Tribute? The owner's manual only gives dry fill amounts and I know it will drain out much less than that. Thanks

frank
    murocflyer5@hotmail.com
  • Options
    tombetztombetz Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering going for the 4-cylinder with AWD.

I won't be towing,and I'm looking for best economy.

Is anyone here driving this configuration, or is everyone driving the V-6?
  • Options
    Your best bet would be to get the V6. The diference in $ per gallon will not make up for resale value, plus you will enjoy the extra power. Drive both and see what you think.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I took one off-roading once. Not a bad vehicle, but in my opinion, it was like driving a Honda civic DX. Definitely a much different ride than the V-6. I'm an M/T fan, but in the Trib it's a little funky.
  • Options
    s002apps002app Member Posts: 3
    Did the column shifter length change on 2002 Tributes (like for 2002 Escapes)? I read in a review that it did, but when I test drove a Tribute this past weekend it was definitely longer than the Escape. I thought it was a 2002 built before the changes took place on the assembly line (in early Dec. for Escapes), but the date on the window sticker was 01/02 (I assume this was the build date, the salesman could not confirm).
  • Options
    dadx4dadx4 Member Posts: 11
    Listed investigations being opened 04-23-02 in the Columbus Dispatch by the NHTSA. 02 Chevy Trailblazer, 02 GMC Envoy, 02 Olds Bravada, 02 Nissan Xterra.

Just thought it was interesting. Nothing on the Tribute still. Ours is going on 3,000 miles and no problems encountered. Runs great, handles like a car and looks good. Wife is still very happy with it.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    Trib owners.. Thought I would take a peek into this room and see what is going on.. I own a 2001 Escape V6 XLT 4wd in black.. This vehicle has been wonderful.. Use it for skiing, fishing and towing my two jet skiis. Almost 9k trouble free miles. The V6 is wonderful isn't it?? Mazda and Ford hit a homerun with these vehicles. I notice some who visit are still troubled by the initial recall stuff. Tell them to actually READ the recalls. They will see it only affected certian build lots and dates of Escapes and Tribs..
    Peace...
  • Options
    chris199chris199 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a brand new Trib 6 mths ago.
    A noise can be heard when I brake in traffic, sharply when the front end dips.It is a sqawking noise.Whhen I turn RH at speed say 20km+ a clicking noise can be heard.I have had my vehicle at the dealer for the the past 4 days and they have changed some bearings.The problem still persists and I want my car back.They are still looking for the problem and are messing me around no end.Has anyone had this problem?If so please let me so I can let the clowns at the mazda Australia know.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    CARCAMPING for two adults can be easy, comfortable, and very economical inside your stock Tribute/Escape. This makes one of the best weekend vacations ever so look into it at www.droidlogic.com/jim/escape.html for details and photos. Since Tribute seatrails have plastic covers, The reliefs in the BOX need to be slightly wider. Check the fit before finishing.
  • Options
    Well I answered my own question. It took a little trial and error, but if you open the drain plug on the AT and let it drain out (while Trib is on level ground) it will only drain out about 3 quarts. I don't know why Ford couldn't tell us this, my Honda and Toyota clearly spelled out the drain and fill amounts. Oh well. Now I know.
  • Options
    1jimv11jimv1 Member Posts: 108
    murocflyer:
    Perhaps you already found out that dealers, transmission repair places, and some oil change places use a Fluid Change Pump that pumps the new fluid into the lines so that all of the old fluid is pushed out in front of it and there is almost no mixing. Otherwise, if you do it manually using just the drain, a lot of old fluid trapped in the torque converter and lines stays and contaminates the new fluid
  • Options
    1jimv1,
    Non mixing of new and old fluid is impossible. This was the procedure used on both my Honda and Toyota. If it was good enough for them, it should be good enough for my Ford. As easy as it is, I could change the tranny fluid out when I change the oil. The biggest reason to change the fluid is to check for particulates in the fluid. I didn't see any metal shavings on the magnetic pickup. I usually change the fluids out once a year, but if I step up the tanny fluid change now that I know how much it takes to quarterly, I shouldn't have any problems. Taking my Trib to the dealer is way too much of a hassle, not to mention the cost and the possibility of them screwing something up.
  • Options
    sizzla123sizzla123 Member Posts: 18
    Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a Tribute this week, but I'm so worried about all the complaints on this board, ect... Is this car a lemon, or is it mostly negatibe hype? Are you guys happy with your Tribute, any complaints? Thanks much
  • Options
    If you're gut instinct tells you there might be a problem, there probably is. You might get lucky and never have any problems with your vehicle, or you might experience all the things you've read about. Is there a perfect mini-SUV? No, most likely not. Would I buy another Tribute? No way. Best advice is do your homework, see what Consumer Digest has to say. See what's available in your price range. Then if you're not satisfied, squelch that new car fever, save your money for a bigger down payment on a Toyota or Honda. I have never gone wrong with one of them.
  • Options
    dadx4dadx4 Member Posts: 11
    Saw in the paper the other day that Honda is recalling some 400,000 vehicles for a defect in the ignition wiring. So even Honda has problems, it is just habit that people equate Honda with problem free operation, which is not the case at all.

sizzla123, there have been no recalls or investigations into the 02 Tribute. We are very happy with it. Now the minor fit and finish items could be improved a little, but you are getting so much vehicle in the Tribute for a little less cost. You simply need to drive one, and do some research on the NHTSA, IIHS-HLDI, Edmunds and other sites. I think after looking over everything you will find that the Tribute is a very good SUV for the money.

Zoom-Zoom
  • Options
    Actually, the number of recalls is 968,000. Here is an excerpt "American Honda Motor Co. is recalling about 968,000 model year 1995-97 Accord cars to check for a wiring problem that could cause a fire under the hood.
    The air conditioner wiring harness may have been improperly installed, allowing some wires to rub against each other and eventually wear through their insulation, causing a short circuit, Honda said Wednesday."
    No, Honda is not the perfect vehicle, but I have yet to discover one. But if you remember, the 01 Honda CRV had the lowest number of reported problems of any car made for that year. I would have to say that's pretty darn good, even competing with vehicles 3 times as much. In my opinion, Ford is bringing the quality of Mazda down. I was really dissapointed to see my wiring harnesses made in the phillipines. I thought I was buying a Japanese car, built by people who take extreme pride in what they do. Not by whomever can build something the cheapest because they pay their workers the least. What kind of quality can you expect from that?
  • Options
    carranrcarranr Member Posts: 1
    Folks,

I am interested in buying the Tribute or Excape, but I am interested in city and highway mileage that you are getting with the V6, auto and 4 wheel drive. I have been looking for a replacement for our 97 Ford Explorer and gas mileage and hauling are important to us. We a popup to pull.

Rey
  • Options
    tribby2001tribby2001 Member Posts: 1
    The TRIBUTE is different from the ESCAPE for the following:

Suspension - Maneuverability, handling and driving comfort.

Transmission - Driving feel.

Appearance - Exterior and interior.

Powertrain - PT control.

Details:

http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_15/showall_/id_MAZ/doc_maz0102164/article.html

• Options
    turksteritisturksteritis Member Posts: 95
    I recently returned from a 2000 mile sales trip in my 01 v-6 AWD tribute. Mine has 22,000 kilo,s(15,000 miles) on it. The only problem I had was the fuel smell when it was new but it was fixed & the problem never re occured. Any way I was getting 26 MPG.( Canadian gallon) at 75 mph at 90% hi-way driving. That is about 22 mpg. with the smaller american gallon. The in-town mileage is not very good...lucky to get 15 mpg.
  • Options
    thrift607thrift607 Member Posts: 5
    my wife and i purchased a 2002 tribute. so far we love it. the only concern is the loud road noise, or maybe transmission noise, it is very clear at around 40 mph. it goes away at higher speeds,but comes back while braking,(heard just before full stop) anyone else notice the same?
  • Options
    redpr5redpr5 Member Posts: 23
    Our 2002 Tribute has the same noise. If you let off the gas at around 40 mph, the noise declines somewhat, and when you tap the gas pedal, it increases, then decreases after the tap.
  • Options
    i've seen a few reviews about noises coming from front of tribute. a couple even had front wheel bearings replaced as well as transmission replaced both with very low mileage. i hope i haven't bought another lemon. i have owned 5 other mazdas all with great luck ,but this is the first mazda/ford unit. my only new ford purchase was in 1989. it was a lemon but lemon law wasn't in place yet. my tribute has continental tires that will be the first place i look for signs of abnormal wear causing noise.
  • Options
    ii31ii31 Member Posts: 24
    Hi,

I've owned ES-V6 Tribute since Oct 2000.
    No stalling or major trouble. There was
    fuel smell problem that was finally fixed
    by a TSB.

Just recently, I removed the cross bars
    from roof rack. Wind noise at highway speed
    has gone done remarkably. I'd suggest this
    simple fix if you don't use roof rack often.

I.I.
  • Options
    fear_hopefear_hope Member Posts: 90
    I looked at a DX V-6 2001 at a local dealer. It is marked $22625 MSRP. Has center console, all weather mats, 16" 5 spoke alloys, 235/70 tires, wheel moldings, keyless entry and privacy tint. My question is: how do I find out what a fair market price is for a left over 2001 vehicle. I can't find the info on Edmunds or KBB. Does anyone know?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'd start by going to the Used page here and drilling down to the 2001 Tributes. Then click on the Customized Appraisal button. That'll adjust for the low miles, if nothing else....

Good luck!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    kw_carmankw_carman Member Posts: 114
    I am in the small SUV market, and have been looking at both the Honda CR-V and the Tribute. We already have a Sienna, so that ruled out us getting something larger like a Pilot or 4Runner. We have a solid Honda mechanic that we have used for our '87 Accord for what seems like ages, and the CR-V is a good-looker, but the Tribute grabs my eye because it too looks very good, and it is a better price in our area. My only concern is the Ford parts, and the concerns I have been hearing about the Escape and Tribute lately. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    winbrowinbro Member Posts: 235
    do some research - kind of a no brainer - CRV by a landslide
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Honda CR-V vs Mazda Tribute

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    crashproofcrashproof Member Posts: 19
    The 2002 CRV looks better than the previous year's model but it still doesn't hold a candle to the Tribute's styling. Consumer Reports also listed a recall for the CRV recently. So take that in consideration before deciding between the two.
  • Options
    litespeed5litespeed5 Member Posts: 2
    While you're looking at CR, check out the reliability between the CRV and Tribute/Escape. If you are not into taking your car to the dealer for warranty work all the time and would like some resale value then consider the CRV.

BTW, no action on the CRV Vs Tribute site since '01.
  • Options
    litespeed5litespeed5 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone ever heard of adding ATF to your engine oil to help clean your motor's oiling system? Theory is you would replace a Qt of oil with the ATF and it would help clean out all the oil sludge after running it for about 100 miles.

This makes me think of a couple of questions.
    1. What is the viscosity of mercon ATF.
    2. If 1 Qt works OK, why not use more or even run pure ATF while letting your motor idle in your driveway then drain?
    3. I have seen how well ATF breaks down oil gunk, will it hurt your motor doing this?
    4. What ratio is too much?
    5. What will work better than this procedure without actually tearing into your motor?

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    edmar1edmar1 Member Posts: 3
    I posted some months ago about nagging problems such as fuel odor and lack of fresh air when HVAC is set on Vent, etc. The dealer "could not replicate" the fuel odor in spite of it being a common complaint, but I insisted on a resolution and it was fixed after two additional visits! I was told that the AC should be used to reduce cabin temp instead of using Vent (more service writer crap). I hope to find a way to funnel fresh air to the intake before it is warmed by the engine - any suggestions? I was also told that they "could not replicate" an oil leak I asked to have taken care of. I showed them paper towels I had put on the garage floor to support my claim that it was leaking oil. Again, I took it back with more towels and told them to fix it. They did, by replacing the transmission because of a "casting flaw" in the casing. I found more oil on the floor in the same spot as before and returned the vehicle to have it fixed. This time they replaced the power steering rack! The oil leak disappeared. All of this has been done with less than 6000 miles on the odometer. Bought the car in November of 2000. My wife loves the car in spite of these aggravations. I hope the bad experiences are behind us. The one ongoing nuisance I have is with the windows. They seem to have a film on them that is impossible to remove. I can remove the surface dirt but the glass always seems to have a residual film even after a thorough washing or cleaning with baking soda or other special glass cleaners. Anyone else have this problem or a good solution?
  • Options
    edmar1 most of the interior is made of a material that emits a chemical that causes that anoying film. try mixing vinegar and water 50/50 mix. apply with black and white section of newspaper and drying with another piece of the same. it really works!
  • Options
    I'm not sure which is worse, the Trib or your dealer. I hope it only gets better.
  • Options
    jwbetjwbet Member Posts: 7
    We purchased our first Tribute today, and had the option of a protection package that includes rustproofing, paint protection, undercoating, fabric protection, and glass treatment. Total fee is $699 before tax, which seems very expensive. Any thoughts, input, advice as to whether this is a good thing to do would be appreciated. We intend to keep this vehicle for a long time, not use it for trade-in. Thanks. JB
  • Options
    karennckarennc Member Posts: 1
    Got an 2002 ES-V6 2WD with the 1LX package using the S-Plan thru my employer. 2WD since I live in the Piedmont of North Carolina and we maybe get one winter storm a year if that and then I stay home.

I wasn't aware of the stalling issue that some people have had with their vehicles. Guess I didn't do all my homework. Oh well, it seems to affect a small percentage of them, so maybe I'll get lucky.

As for noise, it's a lot quieter than the 1989 Nissan Sentra I traded in today.
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    If you live in a snow belt state and your a slob and never care for your car with regular washings and a minimum of two good wax jobs per year take the paint sealant....if your a good owner and keep your car clean skip all the stuff.

Rich
  • Options
    ii31ii31 Member Posts: 24
    Hi All,

I wonder if any Tribute owner has tried
    those high performance exhaust system
    for Tribute, like

Gibson's Single 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel Cat Back Exhaust System

Is it worth it? I'd like to get improved
    acceleration. Thanks in advance for any
    feedback!

I.I.
  • Options
    melaniemmelaniem Member Posts: 1
    I was recently rear-ended and need a new bumper on my 2001 Tribute ES. Does anyone know the paint code for the bumper color of my "Desert Metallic" Trib??? No dealers or body shops here can seem to find it. So far the body shop has had three different codes - all have been wrong... Help!
  • Options
    The Dupont Code for Mineral Gray(the bumper color) is M5113.
  • Options
    joycesjoyces Member Posts: 1
    has anyone owned the 4 -cylinder 2 liter version of the Tribute? what does it handle like in the winter and is this engine underpowered. If I was only planning to do city/highway driving would it be OK?
  • Options
    team1flateam1fla Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Granted I have only 100 miles on my new Tribute and no problems yet... Love it so far!

Informative board and I'll be sure to report my experiences with all.

FYI...My Tribute was built in June 2002....bought 8-15-02....Dark Titanium, LX, V-6 Auto...Moon Roof, 6 Disc CD changer, tow package, etc.....

Compared to all others...Tribute, hands down for quality and features for price is the best bet! Warranty is a plus....3 yr/50,000 mile bumper to bumper...free rental car and roadside service included... to much too pass up.

BTW...I've been driving Mazda Pick-ups for 17 years straight. My current vehicle is a '92 Mazda B-2600i extended cab that I have owned since new, just turned 100,000 miles and still going strong. Before that was a Mazda B-2000 single cab pick-up that served me well for 7 years and I sold for a nice sum after 7 years loyal use.

Traded a '97 Ford Mustang for this new Mazda Tribute...love it!
  • Options
    odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    check out this Ford Escape. It's called the M-ONE-11. Here's a link to check out some pictures (australian, so it's right-hand drive)

http://www.autoweb.com.au/id_FOR/doc_for0110114/article.html

Hopefully Mazda will bring out a tribute version if they do bring the Escape version to the states.

Odie

• Options
    domettgdomettg Member Posts: 55
    Does anyone know what the changes are for 2003?

Thanks