Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Starting Problems

15678911»

Comments

• gov3gov3 Member Posts: 1
    speey2 or flog62, My 2007 is doing the same as both of you describe. Would you say what the cause and fix ended up being? thanks,
  • j1979deej1979dee Member Posts: 2
    After replacing several parts I discovered an animal, probably a squirrel, had chewed thru tha coil wire down towards the bottom of the engine. I spliced the wires with connectors, now thetruck starts like brand new!
  • plowtrkplowtrk Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Now and then my 05 duramax does not crank with the key but will fire right up with the auto start. The dealer believes the auto start could be creating the problem. I have deactivated the autostart (with switch) and encounter the same issue. We have not had any problems this past summer; however, it appears the cool or damp fall weather may be an attributing factor?
  • blackie388blackie388 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 GMC Sierra would not turn over at the starter, after reading several post here to help my investigation gave me a couple ideas where to start. I used a tester to see if i had power at the wires that conect to the starter, oldly enough there was power,after chasing back wires ect... i found myself in the fuse box... turns out my ING B fuse, (big 40 amp) was the cause, it was blown, so far so good, its a start and hopefully i will not have to chase it any further, there are several fuses related to the ingnition the more i looked at my fuse panel map, so good luck and i hope this helps.
  • butlerdmbutlerdm Member Posts: 2
    I changed the filter has no fuel pressure regulator. Sprayed starter fluid almost started, then tried again then flames came out melted some of air filter. Can hear fuel pump come on.
  • butlerdmbutlerdm Member Posts: 2
    :sick: I changed the filter has no fuel pressure regulator. Sprayed starter fluid almost started, then tried again then flames came out melted some of air filter. Can hear fuel pump come on.
  • cougar48421cougar48421 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado with 120K on it and when I go to start it after sitting over night Its wants to keep cranking without starting. Once I get it started it runs great and starts every time unless I let it sit for about 3 hours.
    I was told it was the fuel pump and had it replaced still have the same problem. I am not getting any error codes- will start when cold if I push the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there but starts like it is flooded.
  • peeved_mompeeved_mom Member Posts: 1
    So, I have a 2011 Silverado crew cab 4.8L V8. Two days ago I went to start the truck and it didn't want to go the first attempt. Second attempt it did. Good thing too as I had a 3 hour drive ahead of me with my two small kids to celebrate Christmas with my family. This was the first time ever having an issue with startup and it happens every single time now if the truck has been sitting for any length of time.

Called the dealership as my warranty ran out 9000 kms ago. Awesome!!! I have 69000 kms on the truck, have owned it since brand new and always get serviced at the dealership. Was told it could be anything, that this is why extended warranties are sold and that it would cost me $50 to bring it in to get it on the machine. Was also told that if it starts fine after the initial startup that it probably won't show up on the machine anyhow.

So okay, I won't spent my $50 to be told nothing is wrong when clearly something is. Apparently me and 26 pages of others on this forum are having issues with starting their Silverados.

We bought the truck for reliability, safety, and space. It is my daily vehicle. I can't afford for it to decide to stop working. If anyone has found the reason for the startup issue please share. Thanks so much
  • ole73guyole73guy Member Posts: 2

@cougar48421 said:
    I have a 2009 Chevy Silverado with 120K on it and when I go to start it after sitting over night Its wants to keep cranking without starting. Once I get it started it runs great and starts every time unless I let it sit for about 3 hours.
    I was told it was the fuel pump and had it replaced still have the same problem. I am not getting any error codes- will start when cold if I push the gas pedal to the floor and hold it there but starts like it is flooded.

• ole73guyole73guy Member Posts: 2

My '99' with 4.8L w/130,000mi. did the same thing with the acted flooded, but just one time, and never again. Don't see any answers as of yet.??????????

• jordan40jordan40 Member Posts: 109
    edited January 2014

:)

• jordan40jordan40 Member Posts: 109

i have the same problems

• nolaammo22nolaammo22 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2014

had this problem with my 07 avalanche. dealer accidentally fixed it turns out its your ignition relay. on my avalanche its the same as the headlight relay. they stripped the fuze box and when they rebuilt it they switched them on accident. i thought they were [non-permissible content removed] me until my auto headlights started flickering on and off. saddly im gettin rid of the avalanche for a 09 silverado ltz ext cab. anyway. hope this helps

• westcoast54westcoast54 Member Posts: 1

Well Today's not the first time that my 1996 Silverado 2550 won't re start after a quick shopping at the mall. Similar to the previous incidents, it won't start at all. It didn't make any noises as it would when I re-started the engine. I called and got Road Assistance (BCAA in the Greater Vancouver Area). The BCAA personnel who was present and managed to re-start after going over the batteries including auxilary one, starter, and alternator for any sign of loosenings, etc. has suggested this.... Something's interrupting the trigger signal from the ignition switch to the starter relay. He addded that it could be ignition switch or par/netural safety switch as it won't start in netural. For this time being , the only way to re-start the engine before taking to the GM garage is to activitate the starter by bridging battery power directly to PIN 87 of Starter Relay. After a brief drive, I turned off the engine and tried to re-start it. sure enough, it won't re-start at all. I gotta go take it to the GM Dealer wherre proper diagnosis and repairs can be performed. I will make sure that the dealer gets this message like possible problems with an electronic neutral safety switch OR the neutral safety switch. Let's hope a replacement or such repairs if needed won't be too costly or make a dent on the wallet! Silverado 2500 Driver

• texanjahtexanjah Member Posts: 1
    I can't get my 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 to start even with starter fluid. I live in Colorado so 2 weeks ago I drove home in really cold weather from work and about 1 mile from home the truck just died. No puttering or anything... just, dead. Now it cranks but won't start. Won't even fire. Changed fouled plugs and checked for spark. Fuel pump is running properly, there is no in line filter to replace. Motor isn't flooded. Tried to use starter fluid in the air intake and the throttle body and nothing. Any advice would be wonderful.
  • driftcrisdriftcris Member Posts: 2
    Have a 99 gmc sierra sl 4.3 v6 having the same problem but my guages do not all die out usually runs fine mornings usually takes some time to start 5-10 cranks usually does the trick. If I head to the street go inside come back out turn the truck over cranks but doesn't start up tries to but then stops
  • Major_Tom59Major_Tom59 Member Posts: 1
    I don't even use my parking brake...but after trying a new starter, alternator & charging the battery overnight ...all to no avail...I thought here goes nothing. I pushed the parking brake all the way in & then released it. Bam! My 2009 Silverado started right away! It still doesn't make any sense to me ...at all... but engaging & then releasing the parking brake fixed the non starting issue for me! It's just too bad that GM apparently doesn't know how to fix this common issue!
  • readyy83readyy83 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado no crank no start change the starter checked all the fuses and relays still won't do anything cleaned all of the ground wires if anyone knows how to fix the problem please let me know
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,737
    "The Problem" isn't an answer that anyone can just put out there for you. Each and every vehicle issue must be analyzed to prove what is wrong and it doesn't have to ever be the same thing twice. To try and explain how easily a guess without testing is more likely to give you the wrong answer instead of the correct one this time, just trying to look up a starting system schematic revealed that there are eight possible engines for these trucks. From there options such as transmission choices, body style, rear wheel or four wheel drive, and security system variations can all impact the exact system circuit that needs to be analyzed.

There are a few things that will be common such as the 10 gage purple wire that goes to the starter to command the solenoid to turn on and provide power to crank the engine. Are you getting power to that wire when the key is turned to the crank position? The most likely answer since you already tossed a starter at this would seem to be that you are not but it has to be checked anyway. From there "assuming" there is no command signal diagnostics needs to be performed with the aid of a professional level scan tool that can access body computer (BCM), engine controller (PCM), and security system data and provide bidirectional commands.

Here is part of just one of the possible schematics. On the lower right side you can see the PCM wiring connections and the call outs show different connection locations depending on some of the possible engines that could be in your truck. On the top right you can see that the ignition switch is just an input to the body computer and doesen't actually provide power to the rest of the car. The body computer does that based on the igniton switch input. Even parts like the neutral safety switch are just inputs to the PCM which ultimately decides if the conditions are present for it to allow the starter relay to command the starter to crank the engine.

If you don't have the tools and training to test the whole system then your best bet is to find someone that does to help you.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You might see if any of these qualified repair shops are in your area:

http://www.iatn.net/

• jagradyjagrady Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 silverado, when i cold start it the starter seems to stay engaged for about 10/15 seconds after i let go of the key. it them runs rough for about 30 seconds (im assuming because its slightly flooded) then runs fine. I also have a mass air flow censor issue every once in a wile, not sure if there connected. any help available?
  • MeaMea Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado owned it for about 3 years drives great I keep it maintained all the time but I have a little starting problem every once in awhile it'll just act like it's going to turn over and then not turn over I take the gas cap off wait about 10 minutes and it starts sometimes it will do it three or four times in a row sometimes it won't do it for 3 or 4 months I've changed the fuel filter the fuel pump still having the same problem would love to have some suggestions lately it's been doing it a little bit more than normal