Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Waxes And Polishes

Comments

• bjmeyerbjmeyer Member Posts: 24
    I come to this cleaning issue from a slightly different direction--I've been a motorcycle rider (and cleaner) for better than 25 years.

Motorcycles are a royal pain to clean. By comparison, cars are a piece of cake. I've found one cleaner that flat out works. Period.

It's called S-100. It's made in Germany, I think, and if you call around to M/C shops in your area you should be able to find it. If not, let me know and I'll get the 800 #s for a couple of mail order sources.

I've used it on 100% of the surfaces of numerous motorcycles, including painted steel and plastic, unpainted plastic, clear plastic, alloy wheels (painted and otherwise), engines, vinyl seats, etc. I haven't found it to harm anything. The only problem with it I've heard of was from a friend who hand painted (!!) a pinstripe around the circumference of his wheels. S-100 took some of that paint off, but it hadn't been baked on at all, and I don't know how thoroughly prepped the wheels were first.

Anyway, this product will just about remove chain lube from a motorcycle wheel without scrubbing. A little light rubbing with a rag or sponge, and it will. It will also remove brake dust from auto wheels with very little effort.

HTH,

Bob
  • Rob360Rob360 Member Posts: 33
    Rich-

I have had excellent results using Meguiars product. I believe it is #41 or something like that. It is NOT greasy or oily like Armor All, and it has UV protection in it. It does NOT attract dust, or evaporate onto the windshield like many other products (Armor All, Formula 2000)

Bob-

Don't know if I would trust a product that would remove pinstriping on my wheels! Just my opinion.

Rob
  • reBMWreBMW Member Posts: 26
    several of my cars have a very shiny section of plastic for the bumpers. it is smooth closed cell plastic. i have been using meguiar's plastic polish and plastic cleaner on these for years and it seems to do the job. it cleans bugs and what not off well-enough and kept my motorcyle windshields nice and clear but unfortunately, they are something of a pain to use. does anyone know of something better or perhaps easier to use that works as well?
    thanks for the kleen wheel thoughts.:) sadly, everyone else's impressions match mine and since i am one of those maniac type drivers i wont risk brake fade to make my cleaning job easier. :(
  • needavanneedavan Member Posts: 13
    I'm trying to buy a spray wand on-line (see #88 and others for the address) and this has got to be the most confusing web site I have been to in a long, long time.

I guess I should call the phone number, but if you buy on-line they promise free Priority Mail shipping. I can't pass up free stuff :-)

Brian
    College Station, TX
  • anne4anne4 Member Posts: 35
    Yeah, their website IS confusing. Instructions that come with the wand aren't all that clear either. i wonder if both were written by someone whose native language is not English.

When you order the spray wand, they also use a third party escrow service to handle payment. it's actually a good idea, because there's a degree of protection there for the consumer. Adds extra steps to the ordering process, but it does work.
  • sebargesebarge Member Posts: 50
    Received my order of Erazer clay and lubricant yesterday, and clayed my Sebring Convertible today. It was quite easy to use, of which I was thankful. Our car is red, and I did not see any difference really in the shine, but when I rubbed my hand from the clayed area across to the unclayed area - huge difference in feel. It was so smooth w/ no drag. Big smile on my face as I want this car to look killer. (Thought it already did, but feel better knowing I got it spotless and smooth as glass now.) The clay was starting to get black, & I can't believe this 10 mth. old car was so "dirty". Was neat to see this stuff coming off so easily.
    'Course, don't have any Zaino yet, and followed up my clay job w/ Meguiar's carnauba wax. This always takes me so-o-o-o long to do, and today was no exception. The car looks awesome!, but need to know again...how long ave. does it take you all to Zaino your vehicle assuming you use the Z-2? How long to do the car w/ Z-1, then Z-5?
    Getting close to making that purchase, but the time factor is a biggee for me. To wash, dry, clay, wax, and clean the wheels, took 4 1/2 hours. This is normal for me...sort of a perfectionist and very slow, too.
    Thanks!!!
  • detailfreakdetailfreak Member Posts: 30
    hanauer,

LOL, good analogy. :-) I ordered my wand through the online ordering process which, as mentioned by others above IS a little confusing but definitely worth the effort.

As for longevity, they rate them for X number of gallons. The flow rate is adjustable so the time span will vary according to your flow rate selection. To adjust the rate just turn the little slotted screw on the tip in or out until you achieve the rate you want within the wands range of adjustment.

I left mine at the factory setting and have grown used to it and like the amount of flow it gives me. At first I wasn't so sure about that since I used an open hose before and the flow rate of the wand is MUCH lower than the open hose.

bjmeyer,

It sounds like your friend may have used an uncatalyzed striping enamel such as "One Shot" on his wheels. Do you know what kind of paint he used? Just curious. :-)

reBMW,

If the plastic is smooth and non-porous I'd try Zaino Z2 and Z6 on it. That would be easier than using the plastic polish and should work great as long as it is not porous. :-)

needavan,

I feel your pain. I too had trouble when I ordered my wand. It's a shame that it's such a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to get such a good product!! :-)

sebarge,

Applying and removing the first coat of Zaino Z1 and Z2 will probably take around 45 minutes not counting dry time. This allows for careful application to get a nice even coat. After you have that initial coat of Z1/Z2 out of the way each coat should take around 20 to 30 minutes to apply/remove, again not counting dry time.

The dry time can be as short as 30 minutes or as long as two hours (longest case I have seen personally-temp was in the 40's) on the first coat, depending on the temperature and humidity. Cool temps and high humidity tend to slow the dry time of Zaino.

To find out if a coat of Zaino polish is dry and ready to be removed just take a clean finger and wipe across the surface. If it wipes away clean and is crystal clear the polish is ready. If it doesn't wipe away crystal clear just give it a little more dry time. When it is completely dry it wipes away almost efortlessly.

A Z6 wipedown usually takes me about 10-15 minutes but it may take you longer until you get the hang of it. I hope this helps. :-)

Chris Parrish
    nd4speed@bellsouth.net
  • geezer123geezer123 Member Posts: 1

Is there a reason why the inside of wheels need to be cleaned? I can see why it would be necessary for show purposes, but for normal everyday cars to be driven? I have trouble enough finding time to keep the visible parts clean.

Never having used one, I can't comment on the effectiveness of those wands, but the explanatory material on that web page sounds like a "snake oil" pitch to me. "... a series of reversing magnetic fields" ...?? It may be a perfectly valid explanation, but it sure triggered my BS detector. I wonder if the wand is good for arthritis too? Of course, I must admit that Sal's web page sounds a little tecnobabbly too, but I've used and like his products.

Tom
  • hanauerhanauer Member Posts: 5
    Detailfreak:
    Thanks for the info!
    If you are truly a perfectionist, as you claim to be, I would definitely recommend trying the Zaino! It will give a fantastic shine, it goes on and comes off easier than anything I have ever used, and LASTS longer than anything I have ever used by a long shot.

Using Z-6 (Gloss Enhancer Spray) and the Z-7 (car wash) really keep the finish looking fabulous for several months after polishing with Zaino.

I have had Zaino on my car for more than three months now, and am very impressed with how great the shine is, and how well the water is still beading!

Rob
  • viperrt10viperrt10 Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading the posts regarding Zaino vs Collinite for the past
    > couple of weeks, and decided it was time for me to reply on this. I own a
    > Island Teal 1968 Chevelle SS396 showcar, and was given a can of Marque D'
    > Elegance by the painter of the car ($4000 paint job), who was an avid
    > Collinite user for several years. I was using it on the Chevelle for about 2
    > years, when my friend lent me some Zaino and said you gotta try this stuff. So I
    > decided to go ahead after all I had a black 96 Viper RT10 on the way. I
    > followed the instructions and did the Chevelle in Zaino. Amazing was the first
    > thought that popped in my head. The car
    > gleamed and actually seemed to be a different color. The gloss was much wetter
    > and less greasy looking than the Collinite. The best part was the ease of
    > application. Before the Collinite took over an hour to apply and properly
    > buff. You had to do one panel at a time and couldn't let it dry too long, and
    > hope the sun didn't come out. Otherwise it was a nightmare to remove. Zaino was
    > applied to the whole car and done in 40 minutes with no streaks. Well if this
    > wasn't proof enough I actually tested it on the VIPER!!!!!!!!! I did the car in
    > Collinite and tested it for a month. First of all the Collinite was nothing
    > less than a nuisance to apply and remove on a black car. It was oily (Zymol
    > like) and very streaky. It left the paint blotchy in appearance. I was very
    > unhappy with how hard it was to use on this color car. Now the Viper was being
    > driven daily, so it was a good test. The car was so dirty for simply 10 minutes
    > of outside time. The shine simply died after the first rain storm. No only
    > that, but after 4 rain outings the car barely beaded any water!!!. I said this
    > test is over, and prayed the Zaino was better than this. I followed Zaino's
    > instructions once again. The application went smooth and pleasant. The paint
    > was so crystal clear and wet looking and I couldn't keep a towel on it. The
    > car also seemed to repelled dust, where the Collinite attracted it... I even
    > applied a 2nd coat of Zaino in direct sunlight, and No streaks. (Try that with
    > Collinite). The black paint got even deeper. The car looked (and still does)
    > like a custom painted Viper. And durability was unreal. This stuff has such
    > tight, high water beads. If you wash the car and take it down the street, it
    > will actually shed the water beads to an almost spot free finish. The water
    > never seems to penetrate the finish and dry like it did before. The car looks
    > and stays cleaner longer. The funny part is I actually got the original
    > Collinite lover (Chevelle painter) to convert to Zaino! He says it is unlike
    > any product he as ever used.

> Jim
    Thanks for the reminders of how EASY Zaino will be for me to apply and remove. I know this had been discussed before, but I needed it to be reiterated concerning the time factor. Jim, it was good to hear the comparisons you shared.
    I'm gonna try the Zaino. My car looks so good now, I can't imagine it looking better, but then I couldn't imagine the Erazer clay removing what it did, either.
    Going to get the Z-1, Z-2, and Z-6 for sure. Should I get the Z-5, as this is a fairly new car?
    Thanks again.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    There are so many benefits to the Zaino system, that it is hard to list them all;let alone describe them in excruciating detail.
  • MongoaPawnMongoaPawn Member Posts: 19
    Geezer,

I guess it's to each his own on whether or not to clean the inside/backside of wheels. Personally, if there is dirt there and it is visible (anywhere on the car) I clean it. On the visual side, with 17 inch alloy wheels and disk brakes, you can easily see it. Cleaning it out makes a big difference in how the whole wheel looks. Just my .02. :-)
  • kate12kate12 Member Posts: 18
    Question - Zaino recommends using large 100% cotton towels made in the USA- like Cannon or Fieldcrest. Are there any problems using other towels like Martex that also are made in the USA? Large towels would seem too much to handle. Do you cut them in half?
    I ordered the wand, the Zaino products and today am going to buy Clay Magic. I'm just getting everything in order and asking the experts on this site. Thanks.
  • shomanshoman Member Posts: 97
    Viper,
    I appreciate your results, but do not find Collinite to look or feel the least bit oily, greasy or streaky/blotchy. Sometimes extremely high humidity can cause this with some products. I agree carnuba products seem a bit tougher to wipe off than the Zaino I have tried, but I've never been able to see a clear difference in shine/depth in my comparision of the two so far.
    One thought. Sometimes people tend to put on carnuba products too thick. I find that, especially Collinite, is at it's best when put on in a very thin layer by bare hand, and (as you found) wiped off after each panel rather than waiting till the entire car is done. I am not saying you did anything wrong, just making an observation based on my own use. When I put Collinite on thick, I got some of the same results you mention. I don't anymore.
    Thanks for posting your results though, it appears that Zaino is just right for you.

Don
    #116, Kate

While cutting the towels in half shouldn't hurt anything as far as results, it will shorten the life of your towels. They will tend to ravel and become nasty looking (a technical term!) :)
    A better solution if you don't like the big towels, is to buy hand towels rather than bath towels. They are usually the exact same cloth/thickness/quality, just smaller.

Don
  • bjmeyerbjmeyer Member Posts: 24
    re: painted wheels

No, I'm afraid I have no idea what kind of paint he used. But I'm sure he knows no more about paint than I do (which is almost nothing), so I'd not be surprised if it wasn't suitable for the purpose.

Bob
    Jim-

Glad you spoke up. The fact that the long time Collinite user converted to Zaino says it all. Zaino is pretty good stuff, huh?

A black Viper. Cool! No better color to test a polish/wax on than black!!! I have had 3 black cars, and I know what you mean about Carnauba based waxes attracting dust!!!

Sebarge-

Believe me, I thought the exact same thing before I tried Zaino...I thought no way could my car look better than it already did. But it can! But don't take my word for it, judge for yourself after applying a couple coats of Zaino!

Kate12-

I personally like to use a full size bath towel, and fold it over a couple times. This has the effect of giving a bit of "cushion" and prevents too much direct pressure from being applied to the paint surface, and helps provide more even pressure as well.

As far as using Martex towels (I have never heard of them) if they are made in the USA AND it says 100% cotton, they should be ok. Make sure they are not a cotton/polyester blend.

Rob
    rob360,
    Thanks for the info. I'll try your method of folding the towels when my Zaino arrives. I mailed my order this past Monday from Ohio. I can't wait to try it out.
  • wstangwstang Member Posts: 35
    What is this "Orange Peel" thing about? Does it only occur in new paints? Or it comes with age?
    OK, I'm gathering all the goodies to do my cars 'right' and I have a silly question.

How many towels am I likely to need? OK, this might help: I have a new Odyssey mini-van, which (from looking at the car next to me in the parking lot this morning) is a couple feet shorter in length than a suburban. So lets say a big car or truck.

Do I need five towels? Ten? For what new towels cost, my wife is gonna SKIN me if I have to get too many.

By 'do it right' I'm talking about wash / dry the car, apply Zaino, wipe off. I won't be doing anything to the wheels at this time, as I have plastic wheelcovers. I'll just wash them (with a separate sponge) and leave them alone. Windows I'll use newspaper on (it really works, my mother is an artist and framer and will use nothing other than windex and a newspaper to put frames together).

I understand the 'buy american 100% cotton bit' so you don't need to remind me of that :-)

OH, btw, I went to three different auto stores in search of clay magic. Zippo. But every kind of Maguiers (sp?) was there, (at all of them) along with a bunch of other things which may or may not be snake oil. For that matter, Zaino looks like snake oil too but at least I have more than one person here saying they really like what it does.

Brian
    College Station, TX
    (clay magic) supposedly can be found at Pep Boys but we don't have one in our town, so I ordered some from www.erazer.com. It was very easy to apply and worked great.
  • anne4anne4 Member Posts: 35
    I have a 99 Odyssey and bought 4 bath sized towels (during the winter white sales). 4 is enough for me. When you do the process from scratch the first time (wash with Dawn, clay, Z1, Z2, Z6), 4 should be enough. You wash first, but you don't don't have to dry the car before using the clay. At least, with Clay Magic I didn't have to. Not sure what Erazer requires. I used Z7 as the lube for the clay rather than the manufacturer's lube. This allowed me to skip a second Dawn wash after claying. So, anyway, after claying, don't dry the car right away. Rinse it with water first, then dry with towels. Then put on the Z1, let it dry, then apply Z2. You have to let the first coat of Z2 dry overnight before removing. (You can also wash towels that night so that you'll have all 4 available the next day.) The next day remove the residue with the towels, then apply Z6 with another clean towel.

I've never tried Meguiars clay, but other posters have said that it's very inferior to Clay Magic and Erazer. Supposedly it leaves greasy streaks.

I can't remember if you're one of the people who asked me for my little informal guide to using Zaino stuff. If you haven't asked for it yet and want it, email me, and I'll send you a copy. Sal Zaino has seen it and says it's good.
  • MongoaPawnMongoaPawn Member Posts: 19
    Bite the bullet! 4 towels at a min. Should have seen my wife's face when I walked in with 5 brand new white towels for "cleaning the car". Just admit your obsessive like I did and be done with it! :-)
    If you'd like to see my shiny, waxed and polished car(that's on topic :-)), then check it out at www.flash.net/~coaster1 - I don't have a website, so this one posts pics of other's cars. When you get to this site, click on "Visitor's Rides", then click on "Chrysler". My car is the red JXi Sebring.
    sebarge,

I love the color of your car! :-)

needavan,

I agree, four towels minimum. Also, you can't go wrong with Erazer or Clay Magic.

You can order Erazer through their website ( www.erazer.com ). A mail order source for Clay Magic is www.summitracing.com . :-)

wstang,

"Orange peel" is simply the texture of the paint surface. It is present immediately after the paint is sprayed. It isn't a condition that occurs over time.

Chris Parrish
    nd4speed@bellsouth.net
  • GischpelGischpel Member Posts: 133
    Your car looks great!!! That's a super picture with the star filter to catch the sunshine.

Terry
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    I ordered Zaino, Z1, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z12 about a month ago and finally got my chance to work on my cars. I have a 99' Honda Odyssey and 95' Civic. I have started on the Civic and have dawned, clayed, dawned, z1, z5,z6,z5 so far. The results are fantastic so far and I haven't z2'ed yet! The clay was definitely great. One thing about the clay that I haven't seen mentioned is how smooth the paint becomes below the belt line of the vehicle especially on the door. Usually that neglected part of the car remains very rough even with a good waxing. I was blown away at how smooth the car became!

The Z5 and Z6 have worked great so far. Definitely give the Z5 time to dry. Thank goodness, the gas furnace is located in a closet in the garage so the garage is dry and 20 degrees warmer than the cold outside.

I'm glad I read the posts about applying the stuff on thinly. So far so good. The vehicle looks fantastic and I was a big fan of Nu Finish!

Now, if only Zaino only made a polish that would get rid of door dings, I'd have the perfect looking car.

Thanks to Chris Parrish for your dedication to Zaino. Now, if only I had a little more free time.... I'd get to that Odyssey.
    On your '99 Honda, do you plan to use Z-5? I have a '98 that I'm going to eventually Zaino, but wondered if getting the Z-5 right now and using it is the way to go, or just needs the Z-2?
  • hanauerhanauer Member Posts: 5
    When you write "dawned", are you referring to Dawn dishwashing liquid? (Please forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere).
    Thanks
  • stuffonarockstuffonarock Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know (I guess shoman would be the guy to ask) of a webpage that I can get more info about Collinite? Just curious.

-- Dale
    Yes, Dawn dishwashing liquid has been advocated as the preferred soap for washing a vehicle prior to claying it.

Terry
  • gessgess Member Posts: 90
  • stuffonarockstuffonarock Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the link but their page doesn't have too much info.

I guess I should of tried www.collinite.com, shouldn't I? *grin sheepishly*

-- Dale
  • dmattgamdmattgam Member Posts: 15
    Hello,

I just have some silly questions regarding 'claying' your car.

(1) What does 'claying' your car buy you and is it a simple procedure to do ?
    (2) Also, if your car is brand new, is 'claying' necessary before applying the Zaino products ?
    Thanks.
    I am still waiting my shipment, but check out
    http://www.erazer.com for a fairly informative overview (with pictures!) of claying and what it can do for your finish.

Bri
  • vrasovraso Member Posts: 2
    I just clayed my new white Intrigue over the weekend. This is the first time I ever clayed a car and it took a little under 1.5 hours to perform. I bought the car with 110 miles on it from the dealer and put on only 80 before I clayed. It had been washed twice during those 80 miles. The clay removed literally 100s of tiny brown pin head size specs (rail dust?) Take the extra 2 hours (max) to wash/clay/wash. Not claying a new car is the quick way. Claying is the right way. Your choice.
    Thanks for the info on the website. Which products did you order ? Can you let me know how they work out for you. Thanks.
    We have a '98 vehicle that I keep very clean. I recently clayed it, using Erazer clay, www.erazer.com and was amazed at what the clay removed, and also how glassy smooth the finish felt afterwards. It made a huge difference. It was easy to do & didn't take long at all, maybe 45 minutes, as it really was clean before. (Or so I thought.) :-) Highly recommend it. For $19.99 (+S&H), I got a 4 oz. bar and 16 oz. lubricating spray.
    As noted above, claying a new car is just as important as an old one. It seems to pull the impurities out/off the finish. My truck was brand new and the difference was like night and day between before and after claying it. It is hard to describe because you just can't imagine how smooth you paint will feel until you have done it.

If you to the Smart Shoppers conference and check topic 970, you'll read a ton of posts about claying and other related ideas.

Good luck,

Terry
    You found the Collinite site, so that should answer most of your questions. I sell selected Collinite products at a discount, I'll send you the specifics privately.

Since "Claying" is such a benign process (not destructive, no real downside, and lots of benefit), there is no reason not to clay anytime you want. Some vehicles really need it, and others new and old seem to never get the problems that clay is meant to address. Still, there are more and more new car dealers using clay on every car they get in, no matter how good the finish feels. So the answer is "Just do it!" :)

Don
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    I bought Z5 (polish with fine scratch and swirl remover) for the older car. From what I understand, the Z5 is not necessary on a new car assuming you don't have any swirl marks. I'm going straight to Z2 though I will use a little Z5 where the front bumper got intimate with the side of my garage and removed a big strip of white latex paint off the house (not me, my significant other, don't ask!!).

I have since Z2'd and the results are awesome. If the car didn't have door dings and minor body work gaffs, you'd think my 67k mile Civic was just off the showroom floor. And it's black which is the worst color to keep looking good.

One comment on clay. I clayed quickly and can see where I should have taken more time with the clay. Don't get me wrong, I got 90% of the contaminents, but on compound inverted curves, I can actually feel were I skimped with it. The Z2 makes the pain look so good that you can see the particles that you missed. Not a big deal, but if you're car is older and never been clayed before, take your time and be thorough.

Now that I've finished the Civic, I can't wait to do my Odyssey and my parent's 91' Explorer. Of course, do you think my company will allow me to take a week off in order to Zaino everyone's car?

Overall, it takes less time than you think, it's just many steps. You need to put your car out of service for a couple days.

Chris, Does Zaino work on fiberglas boats? Just curious.
    I recommend claying a vehicle before applying any paint protectant for the first time, then simply use clay as it becomes necessary. This goes for new cars as well as older cars. It is well worth the expense and effort in my opinion.

bostnwhalr,

Zaino is excellent for use on water craft. I have a friend that uses it on his jet ski and it has far outlasted any wax he's used on the hull of the craft. I would recommend applying a coat or two of Z5 to the submerged portion of the hull and Z2 on the rest. The higher solids/build that Z5 offers will probably last longer and the perfect gloss ain't exactly critical below the waterline. :-)

Chris Parrish
    nd4speed@bellsouth.net
    I went to the Collinite site linked above and read about their stuff. I found it interesting that they say that their No. 840 Sapphire Pre-wax Cleaner is "not recommended for clearcoats". It's probably loaded with abrasives. If your car has a clearcoat please realize the risk you run if you use this stuff.

I'm not saying not to use it if you want to, I'm just trying to save you from any unnecessary headaches. If the company that makes/sells it recommends that you don't use it on clearcoats you can rest assured that it's for good reason. They would NOT recommend against their own product if it was ok to use for a given purpose. That's just good business sense. I do have to give them credit for publishing that information.:-) Some companies don't give you a warning. They just let you buy their stuff and screw something up. :-(

Chris Parrish
    nd4speed@bellsouth.net
    Bostnwhalr-

I completely agree with your comments about Zaino (z-2) making the paint look so good that you can see where you may have skimped on the clay. This happened to me the first time I used Zaino. I was in a bit of a hurry to try the Zaino given all the positive comments, so their were areas on the car that I did not clay as good as others. After a couple coats of Z-2, you could really tell where I had not clayed as well. Zaino is awesome stuff, but it is NOT a cleaner.

Glad to see so many people have discovered the awesome benefits of using a clay bar on their vehicles!

Rob
  • StillwaterStillwater Member Posts: 44
    bostnwhalr:
    From what I have discovered (from Sal and other sources), even new cars have swirl marks (usually from the dealer prep). Check it really closely--you may be surprised at how many swirls you have. As you get a good shine on the car, the swirls become more noticeable.
    Detailfreak,
    Do you know if a California duster is safe to use? I don't want to use the product if it causes any marks on the vehicle. I thought wiping down the van when it only has a little surface dust on it would be beneficial. I'd appreciate your help. When I saw it in Pep Boys, the container the product was in made no mention of fabric type. 100% cotton??- I have no idea.
  • RichIITFRichIITF Member Posts: 17
    Chris did you mention earlier that Erazer Clay was causing some flakes or flaking on some of the cars you detailed? Has anyone else experienced this problem? I am trying to find an alternative to Magic Clay since it is hard to find in my area. But, I hesitate to buy Erazer if it is causing problems after its use.
    Hello,

I've seen lots of positive comments ragarding claying your car before applying other product like Zaino. But I'm still unsure which product(s) you guys use to clay your car w/o any problems.

From what I gather, there is a product called "Clay Magic" which is not easy to find and some other product from "www.erazer.com".

1). Is there a difference between "Clay Magic" product versus the product offered by "www.erazer.com" which is called "Surface Cleaning Material". Is this is the product that some people use to clay their cars ?

2). Is there a temperature requirement when to clay your car. I live in Mass. which is still cold (low 30's to low 40's during the day) at the moment. My car is in the garage which is about 8-10 degrees "warmer" than outside. Is it OK to clay your car when the temp is in the low 40's ? Assuming there is no problem claying your car in this temperature, is it safe to Zaino your car in the same temperature as well ? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.