Options

Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2009+

Comments

• Options
    albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    I also looked at a Cadillac CTS today. They had more than I could count. No one is buying cars. We are headed for a severe recession. Discounts are coming sooner rather than later.

Interesting, as I believe GM said that CTS sales are on target right now. There are a lot of them on lots? Where I am there aren't that many. The CTS is a hot car. I agree that the CTS and Genesis should go head to head in some magazine.
  • Options
    richard124richard124 Member Posts: 41
    I went to Bay View Cadillac in Ft. Lauderdale. They have a multi tiered garage full of CTSs. They have a show room with about 15 salesmen and no customers. I went with a friend who for some reason thinks the Genesis does not look like a luxury car when compared to a CTS. I think he would buy a CTS except he is worried about the warranty after they go bankrupt.

Myself I am leaning toward a Genesis. Another dealer just called and he is checking if he has one with the tech package.
  • Options
    bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    GM is not going bankrupt anytime soon. How do I know this? It's all over the internet. Google it, you'll see :)
  • Options
    It was on CNBC yesterday that they now have enough money to last only until the end of 2009. After that it's anyone's guess whether they will survive. They did away with the stock dividend and made some other cuts to expenses.

Chrysler, GM and Ford have been trying to go bankrupt for my entire adult life. One or all three is likely to succeed very soon.
  • Options
    snaglepussnaglepus Member Posts: 160
    :)

"They did away with the stock dividend and made some other cuts to expenses."

Personally I would never buy anything produced by GM because
    of their doing away with the health plans of the retired employees. :lemon:

How will they stay in business here with nothing to sell that anyone wants that gets decent fuel economy?
    What senior citizen with buy from them when they discover what they are doing to those retirees? :mad:

GM may not go bankrupt, but their sales here in N A will surely suffer! :surprise:

:D
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Now wouldn't all those retired employees be eligible for Medicare?

Just asking because I know several retired people who still get their medical insurance form their former employer. Usually it is not completely free either. Medicare is also not free. Almost, but it still costs about $100 a month which is deducted from your SS.

Every time I ask them why they can never give me a good answer except that it doesn't cost much and if their medicare benefits are used up it will kick in. I don't think you can use up medicare but I could be wrong. Just seems like a waste to me but maybe I don't understand. Anybody?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This isn't exactly a GM discussion...
  • Options
    mnjaspermnjasper Member Posts: 21
    Anyone have pictures of the different wheels (please identify which trim they go with)?

I like the brown interior in pictures. Has anyone seen it in person? What do you think? What exterior color would look good with it?
  • Options
    readyformyrlreadyformyrl Member Posts: 70
    I'm in CT and still no word of a Genesis as of this afternoon. Dealers continue to say any day now, but they've been saying that for the last few weeks. Does anyone know what the deal is?

As an Acura RL owner, it's interesting hearing the customer service or lack thereof at certain dealerships when you call. There is one dealership that I would ultimately travel slightly further too because you can tell they are engaged in the sales process. A few others, although closer, remind me of a post I saw a few weeks ago when one of the forum members walked in and had to knock on the sales manager's door to get someone to help and once someone attempted to help him, it spoke volumes about the lack of service he would expect if he dealt with this crew.

I don't believe anyone should be treated poorly when they walk into any dealership. And what car you're buying shouldn't make the difference either. But, you'd believe with the Genesis premier, all dealers would "up their game" and realize they have a chance to put Hyundai in a better position by adding a new segment of potential buyers that may have never considered Hyundai.

Because of the Genesis I now intend to look at the Veracruz and have become curious about other cars in their lineup. If Hyundai doesn't get it together this may be a huge lesson in opportunity cost and not because my lease ends in 12 weeks, because they'll be many comers like me to follow......C'mon Hyundai, get organized and get it together.
  • Options
    18 inch,7-split spoke Hyper Silver Euroflange Alloy Wheels go with the V8.

17 inch,7-split spoke Euroflange Alloy Wheels with the base V6.

18 inch, 9-spoke Hyper Euroflange Alloy Wheels go with the V6 Premium Plus.

The above is taken out of the brochure.

I have forgotten which color interiors I have seen.
  • Options
    kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Just drove a V-6 Genesis with the premium plus package and I'm very impressed with the low NVH levels and high levels of refinement.

Had my '07 DTS in for service at my Cadillac dealer. They gave me a '08 Saab 9-3 with about 500 miles on it as a loan car. They have a fleet of these and '07 CTSs (nothing to write home about, but I hear the '08 is much better) for this purpose. I can also bring my DTS in for a free wash anytime the service dept. is open. It usually takes only 20 mins. for the wash.

These are two of the perks I'm afraid of giving up if I go with the Genesis. Maybe Hyundai could add some service perks specifically for the Genesis owner? I won't be in the market until January-March of 09. Hopefully I can drive a V-8 between now and then.
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    I've been told the local Hyundai dealer here is going to roll out the VIP package for Genesis owners.

This Hyundai dealer is very good IMO - it provides free wash when a vehicle is brought in, plus free oil change, at least my neighbor gets that (he has a Sonata). In terms of loaners, they'd always try to get you the same model or something similar. Based on the record of the Sonata I've seen first-hand, and heard, however, I feel pretty good about the Genesis. The Sonata has not been to the shop once, other than regular interval service items. Glad to hear that trend has continued with a number of current Hyundai vehicles, and I have no doubt it would continue to flourish on the Genesis and other forthcoming products.
  • Options
    daviderledaviderle Member Posts: 20
    First thanks to everyone for making this a very informative site while we were all waiting for this vehicle...

Finally! I have driven a stunning black with brown interior (“Cashmere”) Genesis with the premium plus package and I must say it exceeded my expectation with one minor annoyance to see that the subwoofer rear speaker did not have the cover lining in the trunk :confuse: . I also sat in a silver one with a black interior and that did not look half bad either. Personally I think it has been worth the wait even though I have considered the usual suspects (M35, IS350, C/Basic E class etc) in last year or so…

The V6 although “Peppy”, quite and well behaved for me it looks like I am going to go for the V8 , otherwise I felt I would miss my 2000 TrasAM (with only 26k miles on it ;) ) far too much.

My only other issue is lease vs. buy, since Hyundai offering the lease deal where I live (Atlanta, GA), I have never leased before but looking at the numbers it appears to be good option as I only have 20 miles round trip daily commute.

Given the current climate would it better to trade in my 2005 SUV and the TrasAM to lease the genesis (do I save on the car Tax?) or am I better off selling both vehicles elsewhere and banking the money?

Thanks in advance…
  • Options
    Sorry, one last comment on this, then I'll contribute to the conversation.

I think he would buy a CTS except he is worried about the warranty after they go bankrupt.

Nah. It's predicted that GM will be profitable again by 2010. Now Chrysler...

I went with a friend who for some reason thinks the Genesis does not look like a luxury car when compared to a CTS.

It's his oppinion and there's nothing wrong with that. I won't say the Genesis doesn't look like a luxury car, but I agree that the CTS looks better. If I was between the Genesis V-6 and the CTS, I'd go for the CTS, prettty much because I think it looks better (and after driving it and what I've heard on the Genesis, it drives sportier too).

That might sound like an unrational decision, but I might not be the most rational person. Why buy a 50k+ car when a 30k car fits my needs?I guess it's the American way...
  • Options
    Given the current climate would it better to trade in my 2005 SUV and the TrasAM to lease the genesis (do I save on the car Tax?) or am I better off selling both vehicles elsewhere and banking the money?

If you were able to sell them, you would get more money. But that would require someone to be interested, so that SUV better be small with a V6.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.
    Indeed I am fortunate that the SUV is a clean, little Axiom with a V6... :blush:
  • Options
    deeezldocdeeezldoc Member Posts: 23
    Kenbt-could you pass on the dealer's name and city that you obtained these great quotes from ? Thanks
  • Options
    My only other issue is lease vs. buy, since Hyundai offering the lease deal where I live (Atlanta, GA), I have never leased before but looking at the numbers it appears to be good option as I only have 20 miles round trip daily commute.

It sounds like lease is perhaps the better way to go in your situation, especially given the expected miles driven.

The monthly cost on a lease will always be much lower than financing, but don't skip checking the gap insurance coverage ;)
  • Options
    The monthly cost on a lease will always be much lower than financing, but don't skip checking the gap insurance coverage

Only thing is in three years after you've spent 10k+ on it and struggled not to go over your mileage limits, you have nothing to show for it.
  • Options
    It's a xxxxx mile used car, so of course there is nothing to show for it. What'd you do? You'd get a new toy ;)

Lease isn't for everyone but it is the best scenario for some.

Just for the record, lease makes up the majority of all luxury car purchases, and there are good reasons for it.
  • Options
    http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Hyundai/review/2009-hyundai-genesis-road-&-tra- - ck-test/5795

The conclusion says it all:

Hyundai has delivered a surprise. The company promised to raise its own bar for both quality and reliability, but no one expected this. It is a very difficult car to criticize. It has a larger interior than a BMW 5 Series and is best in class in every quantifiable target. The corporate exodus from cheap and amusing is well underway with a Genesis to lead the new line of less expensive and exceptional.
  • Options
    go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    Just decided to take a look at the new Genesis. Here in Raleigh, one of the local dealers is charging a $4k premium over sticker for the one Genesis they have in the show room. With that kind of markup over MSRP, the "great deal" of the Genesis has disappeared - IMHO.
  • Options
    tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    Everyone I know who leases writes off the lease payments as a business expense.

A purchased car can be used as a trade in or sold outright to reduce the cost of the next vehicle.

The more often you trade cars the better leasing is.
  • Options
    tom17tom17 Member Posts: 134
    Many dealers do that and then sell for MSRP or less. On the 09 Maxima forum, someone bought a Maxima for $1200 under MSRP even though the dealer had a $5000 additional dealer profit sticker on the car. Go figure.....
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Since they only have one Genesis right now, they are in no hurry to sell it. They don't mind having a car for people to come look at. But with the $4k markup, they are saying, "We don't really want to sell it right away, but if someone makes us an offer too good to refuse, well then...".

Once the cars start arriving in volume, you won't see those $4k markups anymore. Might take a few weeks or months. Be patient.
  • Options
    It's a xxxxx mile used car, so of course there is nothing to show for it. What'd you do? You'd get a new toy

Lease isn't for everyone but it is the best scenario for some.

Totally agree with you joe97, if the gas is not $8+ by then ( :sick: ), and I truly love that car I can upgrade to a new one with all new toys such as adaptive cruise control, lane departure etc... :shades:
  • Options
    Looking back at my post I have to admit I do sound a bit ignorant. I do understand that while leasing isn't for everyone, it works for those who don't drive a lot. I try to sqeeze a lot of the value out of my cars. And since I drive so many miles a year, it doesn't take long to do that. Also, I like to make big down payments, so it doesn't take long to pay a car off, so I can enjoy the car payment free.
  • Options
    jeffreidjeffreid Member Posts: 162
    HMFC includes GAP coverage on all leases at no extra charge.
  • Options
    allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Is the lack of a subwoofer cover from the trunk side of things really a big issue??? I mean...how often do you actually get low enough to look at it to be annoyed by it? Please don't be offended, I'm just asking a real question. Honestly, the Azera does have the underside of the subwoofer covered and I think the bass response suffers from the cover as the sub being used is a free-air sub and really needs the trunk space to create the bass. By placing a cover in it's way...it effectively lessens the amount of open space the sub can utilize. The bass response is actually much better in the Genesis than it is in the Azera because of that fact.

Hyundai would have been better served had they created a sealed enclosure under the deck if they wanted to cover the sub...THAT would have made a world of difference.

Personally though, I truly don't think that an uncovered sub takes away from the car in any way.
  • Options
    HMFC includes GAP coverage on all leases at no extra charge.

jeffreid you are a gem, very usful to know...

My dealer is saying the V8 won't be here before early next year :surprise: !? I do hope they got it wrong...

I wonder if they are trying to get me to get the V6 even though I made it clear I am in no hurry?
  • Options
    I mean...how often do you actually get low enough to look at it to be annoyed by it? Please don't be offended,

Not at all... honestly I just worry I might damage the speaker with something, maybe shopping items, or even putting large bag into the trunk on a long trip…

A punctured subwoofer would be tough to put up with, at least for me..

If the V8 has the same configuration, I am sure I can find something at the local auto parts dealer to take care it.. :D
  • Options
    Well, I don't drive the trucks, but next year is gibberish!!

My V6's STILL aren't here, and are now 2 weeks late. However, I know that at least one of them is in the pipe and should be here anytime now. With that being said, the V8 models are slated to arrive in late August or September.

From my experience with the first Santa Fe launch (and every other Hyundai launch) there cars are going to be 4-6 weeks late almost every time. I think that is you are in no hurry and can wait until November maybe, you should be the proud new owner of a V8 Genesis.

I agree with you, the dealer wants to get the cars on the road to drive more business. This is especially true when they feel that the car will sell for a premium. If they can put you in a V6 now by telling you it will be next year for a V8, then they can be SURE they get a sale versus hoping for one later. A bird in the hand you know.

I know I would wait for the V8. For only $2k more, I KNOW I would want the extra power and the upgraded leather, not to mention the few extra goodies. With the fuel mileage being so similar to the V6, I just can't see not getting the V8. I really think that one would get the $2k back on resale as well. Maybe more. If you look at the Azera, the difference between one with the Ultimate package and one with the Premium pkg on resale is greater than the upfront cost. It is just so much easier as a dealer to sell the loaded used car than have someone being ambivalent about a car that is missing features, thus commanding a premium at trade in time.
  • Options
    I know this isn't part of this, but...as far as the Veracruz goes...be prepared to be surprised. Compare it to the likes of the Acadia/Outlook, CX-9 and the RX330. We would have gotten one, but the Outlook won our vote since it had captain's chairs in the 2nd row and there was enough space behind the 3rd row seat for a full sized stroller for our baby. Personally, I feel the Veracruz had better handling and a smoother ride which says a lot since the Outlook rides and handles quite well for a vehicle of it's size.

I'm not even worried about what you might think of the Genesis...heck, you may end up buying two Hyundais at the same time if you're looking for a sedan and an SUV. ;)
  • Options
    Not at all... honestly I just worry I might damage the speaker with something, maybe shopping items, or even putting large bag into the trunk on a long trip…

A punctured subwoofer would be tough to put up with, at least for me..

Well as high up as the sub actually sits, it would take something of a very odd shape to push up and puncture the sub as the magnet and speaker basket actually protect the backside. The pic below is pretty indicitave of how most subs look from the back side.

As you can see...a typical bag of groceries or a suitcase or something like that would NOT be able to puncture the subwoofer cone at all. Like I said earlier, by not having anything blocking the path of the sub, it is actually able to perform better than if a cover was in place. I agree, punctured sub would sound terrible and drive you nuts, but the chances of it happening are pretty slim.
  • Options
    dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    I wonder if they are trying to get me to get the V6 even though I made it clear I am in no hurry?

Of course they are, their mission is to sell.
  • Options
    readyformyrlreadyformyrl Member Posts: 70
    It's interesting that you say that allmet, my wife had an 03 MDX last year and she settled on the Mazda CX-9 for her new lease, the Mazda has been a pleasant suprise, I was skeptical since it didn't have a history....we only did a two year lease, so by this time next year I'm trying to have her consider the Veracruz that she refused to look at last year.

I'd love to buy one.....or two Hyundais...... "The Badge" doesn't affect me, it's the value I'm receiving and Acura had given us that until last year with both cars, but I do not like the new generation Acura RL to replace my 2005, so I'm really counting on the Genesis to deliver in all areas. This will be the first time in 11 years and Acura hasn't been in our driveway if it works out...
  • Options
    carcapcocarcapco Member Posts: 6
    There are two Genesis Package 4 Cars in our city (Louisville, KY) - I have been patiently waiting on this day for months. I took a test drive - was even better than the base model I test drove weeks ago. I asked about the $499 24 month lease with $2199 down. Apparently that is $665 per month. I asked about the $399 per month lease on the base model that they had a flier on (also 24 months and $2199 down). Asked how much that would run a month - was told just shy of $470 per month.

So the $399 a month lease is almost $470 and the $499 is $665 a month before tax, is that correct - Yes, that is correct. Money factor is .0008 and residual of 66% on the V6 with Nav. So if the residual is fixed and the money factor is fixed - the the only item that can move is the capitalized cost which surprisingly it didn't. How is this possible? Hyundai's lease special is based on the dealership selling the car at invoice (INVOICE). Anyone know a Hyundai dealership selling V6 Genesis with Tech package at invoice? Most don't have a Genesis - let alone a Tech package.

Happy to be proven wrong - maybe there are many dealers out there that would sell a new Genesis V6 Package 4 at invoice. I will not hold my breath.
  • Options
    prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    'Still, the influential Black Book of used car residual values is predicting the 2009 Genesis V6 will retain 52% of its value after three years and the Genesis V8 will retain 50% of its value after the same period. That's better than the Black Book's predicted residual value for the Acura TL, Lexus ES 350, Infiniti G35 and Cadillac CTS.'
    - Canadian Driver

When you can outdo an Acura, Lexus and Infiniti in predicted resale, you've not only entered the big leagues, but you've hit a home run!
  • Options
    ricwhitericwhite Member Posts: 292
    When I leased my Azera, I searched far and wide for the $299/mo. lease deal that was advertised at the time. One dealer had the deal for $380, the other two were hovering around $500. What Hyundai did was reduce the cap cost via lease rebates to get to that figure. The money factor and residuals were set.

According to one of the dealerships -- the problem is that the dealer has to "eat" the advertised cap cost reductions. Even if they eventually get them back from Hyundai, they would make NO MONEY on the vehicle. In the short term, it would actually COST them money. In other words, the "lease deal" was dependent upon the dealership willing to lose money or, at best, make no money.

Out of the four Hyundai dealerships I visited, only one was willing to do the lease deal as advertised. I called Hyundai about it and they told me that dealerships have the option whether or not to do lease deals as advertised.

In other words, the advertised "lease deals" are rock bottom deals that most dealerships won't be willing to do. It's sounds really good in the advertisement and it probably serves it's purpose to get you into the showrooms, but, in all practicality, they are probably mostly unrealistic for most dealerships. I wish you luck. I DID find a dealership that would honor the deal on my Azera, but it took weeks and I had to travel to a different city.
  • Options
    In other words, the advertised "lease deals" are rock bottom deals that most dealerships won't be willing to do.

If Hyundai advertises a lease program their US dealer network should honor the program or risk losing the franchise. With Hyundai though, many of their US dealers are multi brand and choose to ignore Korean marching orders.
  • Options
    sg2ksg2k Member Posts: 19
    the last video is pretty impressive.
    i wonder what the 4.6 is like.
  • Options
    I am beginning to hate all Hyundai dealers. Yesterday I stopped by the dealer that had promised me a good deal over the phone because I am with USAA. He said that the good deal does not apply to Genesis. He wants sticker price. This is three dealers that I have been to now. Two want sticker price and one wants $1,550 over sticker. I have told them all to give me a call when they get one with a tech package and we'll talk.

A fourth dealer contacted me through Costco and said a third Genesis had just arrived and he had to check if it had the tech package. Said he would give me a call right back. I guess it did not have the tech package in three days he has not called back.

It's no wonder car dealers have a bad reputation.

I have never felt good after buying a car. I have always felt like I was screwed.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think it helps to keep in mind that sales is all about supply and demand, whether it's cars or homes or the iPhone or whatever. We don't complain one bit when cars that are in good supply are priced way, way below MSRP. But we think we are getting "screwed" when a car that is a brand new model, eagerly anticipated by a segment of the buying public, and in extremely limited supply is priced at a little below MSRP or at MSRP or even above MSRP.

MSRP is just that--manufacturer's suggested retail price. Actual prices are set by the dealers. On ANY car. It's not a matter of the dealers being rotten people (that may be true in some cases, but that's true in other walks of life also). They are in business to make money. If they have a product that more people want than are units available, they will set the price high. Once supply increases relative to demand, the price will drop.

If you don't like the idea of paying MSRP or even above for a Genesis, just wait a bit. Prices will fall, Ray, prices will most definitely fall (ala the movie you may or may not have seen, Field of Car Dreams). ;)
  • Options
    So what you are saying is that you hate a retailer (because that is what car dealerships are) for not having a limited production, entirely new, very competitively priced, and not yet fully rolled out product, on sale?

It just seems so unfair to "hate" a business that has a product that you like simply because they are asking for a profit. A V6 tech pkg has an invoice amount of around $37363 and if they sell it for list, then they are looking at an over invoice profit of $2637. This represents at 7% profit.

My question is this. How bad is Costco sticking it to you when they are making 50%-200% on items that they are selling everyday?

You are right about one thing though IMO, the Costco dealer should have called you back. That was pretty rude.

For those of you that haven't seen The Dark Knight, you need to go straight to your local theater. It was great!!
  • Options
    It's no wonder car dealers have a bad reputation

The majority here would no doubt agree with you on that.
  • Options
    I am mad because one dealer told me one thing over the phone (I would get a great deal) and another thing once I got there. If you don't think that is sleazy, then I don't know what is.

I have looked at other cars also. It appears it is a common thing to put a second sticker in the window for phantom dealer add ons.

I like the Genesis and my lease is up on my present car in about six weeks. If they are not being discounted by then I will probably join the list of suckers. I wish I had a few more months to wait until the dealers were over loaded.

At all of the dealers I have been to including dealers other than Hyundai, I pointed out that they had no other customers. It was as if they recognized that they were selling very few cars so they had to raise the price so they could make more money :mad: .

They obviously took a different course in economics than I did.
  • Options
    I'll wait until the pent up demand is less and they have a V-8 in that I can drive. Maybe in a month or three the dealers will be heavily discounting the Genesi. What is troubling is the dealers not honoring Hyundai's lease terms. I wonder what would happen at MB dealers if they did not honor the $569/mo on a new E350 (27 mos.)?
  • Options
    It's called "bait and switch" and it's illegal.
  • Options
    I'll wait until they actually have one with the tech package and see what they say. Then I may have to figure out who to report them to.