Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2009+

Comments

• Options
    allthatblueallthatblue Member Posts: 29
    You might know this already.but I just want to tell in brief. :)

Hyundai invited a bunch of American auto journalist to its home ground -Namyang located in suburban area of Seoul, Korea - in May and held some comparison test drive event for them. I never heard that American journalists were invited to Korea for the launch of "A" new car. This is not trivial. Hyundai must pay all the flights, accomomdations, and other treats for that pre-sale. I know this would not be enough to grab full attention from the masses in the US. but, anyway, it seems sure that the Genesis is also special to Hyundai itself compared to other vehicles of its own. :)
  • Options
    ricwhitericwhite Member Posts: 292
    Thanks for the responses regarding the lack of fold-down seats and the lease deal.

Regarding the "market adjustment" (which is also called "additional dealer profit") -- just wait six-eight months after the novelty period is over. MOST large luxury cars will be heavily discounted. Gas will be $5.50/gal and rising. Other costs will be gong up. Paid raises will stagnate. People will be delaying auto purchases until they know the economy and oil prices are stabilizing. Then they will be likely looking for smaller more economical vehicles. That $2500 "market adjustment increase" will be a $2500 "decrease." They'll probably throw in a $500 gas card to boot.

On a positive note, I am pleased to read some very positive reviews. I'm pulling for Hyundai to do well with the Genesis. I'm in the "what should I do" mode right now. My Azera is only 2.5 years old and has only 20,000 miles. But I do like the Genesis. I'm worried about gas prices and other increasing costs, however, so I'm starting to think I should wait until next spring or so.
  • Options
    akumaakuma Member Posts: 70
    $53,000 for a loaded M35? hmmm... is that a 2008 or 2009? i don't even think the 2009s are out yet. because according to the price calculator on edmunds, a M35 with tech package (loaded very similar to a loaded Genesis) is $44,814 (Chicago area adjustment -$293). roughly $3,200 off MSRP, and about $820 over invoice. many dealers are willing (but many don't as well) to honor edmunds' tmv pricing. it will only go lower when the 2009s come out pretty soon.

this isn't a truly loaded car. that would be $50,417 for one equipped with the premium package. which still isn't loaded, because the premium package can't be combined with the sport package (which isn't available at all on the Genesis). also the premium package includes many options that aren't available at all currently on the Genesis such as lane departure prevention, intelligent cruise, dvd players/screens in the front and back, rear heated and reclining seats. the tech package does include navigation with rearview monitor and a premium bose sound system, but doesn't have the power sunshade or "super-premium" sound system (both available on the premium package).

so you can get a comparably equipped car from a "luxury" make within a few thousand dollars of the Genesis (at MSRP). i also mentioned in a previous post the 2008 RL and CTS too. the 2009 RL is quite improved though. someone else said that the RL was just a gussied Accord, but as a previous Legend owner, the Accord (any generation) is no Legend (or RL). all those cars are still a few thousand dollars more (tmv), but you get consistently better dealer service, and a bit more "prestige" (however much that might be worth to someone). so the Genesis doesn't appear to be quite the slam dunk (pricing wise) as many people might think. then again, a year or two later, with discounts and model updates, who really knows?
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    I was just trying to get a feel how much a loaded M35 my local dealer would sell me for. As you may know, this has been (somewhat) of an ongoing discussion, where one of the posters said he had negotiated a price of 42K for a loaded M35.

So called up the dealer, and asked for a loaded M35 - got the following spec available on the lot: M35 with premium package, plus 18-in polished wheels with splash guards - $55,490 (MSRP), a little under 53K was the price offered. Of course, if I was remotely interested (and if I was, I would have probably waited for the next gen M anyway), I would certainly try to get the price further down a little. After the fact, I also found out there was factory cash available the dealer neglected to mention, that weasel ;)

Anyway, back to the Genesis...
  • Options
    dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    Curious how my post regarding two product features available on Azera that are not available on Genesis are "unbelievable" and "exactly the same", in your words.

Did it occur to you though that other posters here were unaware of those omissions?
  • Options
    Actually, there were quite a bit of discussions not long ago on here, over a good number of posts on the two items.

All I was saying, we heard you loud and clear the first time around...

Go ask Hyundai as to the reason (I think I have a pretty good idea though) but this is certainly not going to make me wanting to experience this car any less. This is the first Hyundai product where I am seriously considering, and probably not the last (hint hint Genesis Coupe).

Truth to be told, we all wish for the "perfect" car (insert vehicle here), and all of the features we want, and deletion of those we don't, but unfortunately it doesn't work like that. Some vehicles may come close, some vehicles may actually hit the sweet spot for some demographic but not others - this is not an one size fits all kind of deal.
  • Options
    Agreed.

I was taken by surprise when the major US auto journalists were invited out there. Without much saying, Hyundai is taking this vehicle seriously. Another press event was held late June in Santa Barbara, CA to test the Genesis, and more specifically, the North American versions of the vehicle, along with its competitors Hyundai USA brought along for the event.

After reading numerous reviews from the US journalists on both tests, the biggest difference I came away with is the suspension setup. Clearly the NA spec was made and catered to the NA market, and everyone had good things to say about it - a Hyundai with its handling as one of the strong points :)
  • Options
    albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    I've seen them for 41, but I don't know that they are loaded. But it's an Infiniti M, so that's still a great deal.
  • Options
    Probably a base edition, as they start around 44.7K.
  • Options
    dborthdborth Member Posts: 474
    "this is not an one size fits all kind of deal."

Given the initial published Genesis list pricing, and the Hyundai competitive "benchmarks", it should be.

At these prices, what particle of difference would these 2 simple features amount to?
  • Options
    duehodueho Member Posts: 25
    To answer the question about invoice price being fair: yes, a dealer still makes a nice profit even if it sells a car at invoice. There're dealer incentives, dealer rebates, and holdbacks to add to the profit column. Anything above invoice is a bonus.

Invoice is just an arbitrary number that basically guarantees profit for the dealer. It is NOT a true dealer cost. Auto manufacturers and dealers are getting smarter in dealing with Internet-Age consumers.

Regarding market adjustment, it is determined by supply and demand. If dealers feel that the demand exceeds supply, they will jack up the price to adjust for it. There will be some consumers who want to be the first and pay the premium price. An analogy with the game consoles is a good one. And anyone shopping for a Wii last holiday season would know.

If you don't like market adjustments on cars (and I don't), your options are to wait for more supply to meet/exceed demand or to look elsewhere. Don't fall in love with one particular car or you'll pay more than others for it. Add the price adjustment to the car and shop for comparable cars. Even consider pre-owned (within 2-3 years). These are attractive since someone else has taken the biggest hit on depreciation. There are plenty of premium cars coming off lease. Just look around.

Just remember: You, the consumer, and the dealer combine to set the market value for a vehicle. The dealer can set their initial price (expecting the consumers to be willing to pay for it). But if they don't get a response from the consumers, they'll drop their price and/or offer incentives to move it off the lot.
  • Options
    jeffreidjeffreid Member Posts: 162
    Just wanted to say that "dueho" hit the nail on the head in terms of the supply and demand comments.

I personally think that the "market adjustments" are kind of stupid. They were out there on the first Santa Fe as well, and if the market supports it, then ok. However, as I saw mentioned here earlier, if an item is selling THAT well, it wouldn't be sitting in inventory now would it..............

ALL items that are bought/sold in this country have their values determined at the point of sale. ALL things are worth what someone else is willing to pay for them. This goes for cars and sneakers. Joe consumer is willing to pay $XX,XXX for a Sonata/Genesis/M35 and when that cash trades hands the value of the product is established between THAT buyer and THAT seller. Same thing goes for a dealer taking a car in on trade or a guy buying a hamburger. There really isn't any difference.
  • Options
    moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    I don't think the Genesis will be formally launched until Hyundai gets enough models into the dealers and they actually have the tech package ready. Hopefully then we'll see a lot of marketing to push the vehicle. I don't expect this to happen for another 1-2 months. I think that's fine to trickle in early models for hardcore people and then do a general push later. I just hope for a much bigger push than the Azera...which was a WHIMPER at best!
  • Options
    allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    I got to see the Genesis from a distance when it was here for the DC Auto Show. The car Hyundai brought to thes how was burgundy with brown interior. I thought it looked nice then...

Friday, I stopped by my local Hyundai dealer to see if they had any Genesis sedans on the lot. I pulled around the back side of the building...lo and behold, there it was. Now I thought the burgundy one at the auto show was nice, but the black one sitting on the lot was absolutely STUNNING!!!! It was a black 3.8 w/technology package and the window sticker was $36K. The interior was black with the brown leather dash.

Of course, it being the only one they had...I couldn't take it for a test drive. I asked him when he thought he would have more coming in so I could take one for a spin and he told me in about a week. I truly can't wait, the car is simply beautiful from any angle you look at it. I truly hope Hyundai does everything it can to market this car the way it should be, it has all the potential in the world to be THE car that changes everything for Hyundai. However, this is just MY opinion.
  • Options
    Are you sure that has a Tech Package? The sticker price would show 40K if it is.
  • Options
    Bcheng...you're absolutely right. You would think the sales manager would stay on top of something like that, as ultimately it's something that hurts the bottom line...sales. It's funny how sale driven a dealership is and yet, the one thing they don't pay attention to is customer service. Personally, if I were a manager, I would create an atmosphere that would make a customer WANT to be there, WANT to inquire about my vehicles, WANT to test drive them and ultimately...WANT to buy one.

It really trips me out that the one area a lot of dealerships lack in, is the one that would bring them better business. Then again, maybe they're doing so well that they don't care if they sell cars or not. Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...that can't be it.

My understanding is that Fairfax Hyundai has a pretty good sales corp and I had a great experience out at Ken Dixon Hyundai in Waldor. Just a couple you can check out to see if you have a better experience as well. Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it was, I'll be going back to take a look so I can confirm it after I do.
  • Options
    netaddictnetaddict Member Posts: 3
    I cannot tell from the Hyundai site what is different between a 3.8 Genesis with Technology package (which comes with Premium Plus) and a 4.6 with Technology package.

I've seen posts from Akuma that there is difference in leather, brakes, and of course engine, for $2000 more. Is that confirmed, or is the difference simply the engine?

Someone from Hyundai please confirm, I don't know if I should hold out for V8 if the only difference is the engine.
  • Options
    You can't tell the difference between a 3.8 w/tech vs. a 4.6 w/tech??? :confuse: Try a couple thousand dollars and about 78 hp!!! (if you base the numbers using regular fuel)
  • Options
    When you step up to the V8, you do get all of the extras that you have mentioned here, plus you get to step up to the ZF tranny, which from what I understand is a pretty premium transmission. Also, there will be V8 only wheels. Now I know that the info listed online doesn't say this, but I was shown a pic of THREE sets of wheels for this car at our training show and was told which one was base V6, upgraded V6, and V8 wheels.

There are a couple of other extras such as illuminated scuff plates, some exterior chrome (which I thought looked really nice), electrochromic exterior mirrors, and a wood and leather steering wheel.

This info is taken straight off of my order guide, which I have been told is accurate. Seeing as how it has invoice amounts and package prices, it should be correct.

I'm with most of the other posters here, I would be all over the V8 for $2k more. I was told by one of the guys at my training session that he was using a V8 model for an airport shuttle and had been averaging about 24-25 MPG highway with it. I thought that sealed the deal. 375 horses and the tech pkg for $42k. No brainer.
  • Options
    Doesn't the V8 also have ultra-premium leather seating surfaces that aren't available in the V6?
  • Options
    leemy386leemy386 Member Posts: 6
    The official record indicates that 30 Genesis had been already sold in US during June.
  • Options
    Which wheel set do you like the most? I'd actually prefer the base V6 wheels out of the three.
  • Options
    allthatblueallthatblue Member Posts: 29
    Jeffreid is right,

Besides the engine, ZF's transmission is also recognized as more premium product than Aisin's(equipped in V6). With a more poweful engine and a more quick and precise gearbox, you could get more agile responsiveness in result(as you are aware of, V8 is 0.5 sec. quciker than V6 in 0 to 60mph test reported recently.)

This is the major difference you can get for extra 2K(or more?) dollars. :)

PS: It doesn't mean that Aisin's is a poor gearbox. Aisin is an affiliate of Toyota and.... also reliable :)
  • Options
    netaddictnetaddict Member Posts: 3
    Thanks all for answering my V8 question - now try to explain all that to my wife... No sexist comment intended here - just my wife who wants me to get a more economical car.

Personally it sounds like a better deal, but I need to first prove that I can sell my existing cat w/ V8 and convince her of the QPR, AND better gas mileage. Still it's going to be a challenge.
  • Options
    blackadder5639blackadder5639 Member Posts: 31
    Dueho, thanks a lot for your comments. Very, very informative!

Just one question: how is it possible to buy something that you're not in love with? I mean, I'm not the type of guy who aims to be the first to own something, but I usually base my buying decisions on how well it would meet my needs, the price AND the emotion.

Any advice for someone like me who likes relatively rare trims like a (nearly) fully loaded manual transmission model? Is it still possible to negotiate a good price for a car that may have to be ordered from the factory?
  • Options
    Of course we don't want to buy things that we don't like/love. What I mean is that don't just lock on to one specific car. Have other options to fall back upon and be ready to walk away. If asked, mention that you're looking at other cars as well, even lower priced ones with less features. (So, they don't tell you how much value you get buying this car compared to more expensive cars when you already know it). Tell them a list of cars that you're looking at or plan to look at.

But if you're so set on one car, don't ever let the salesman know you're in love with it. If he knows you can't live without it, you'll end up on the losing end throughout the buying process. Don't even tell him you really like the car. Just say that it's nice, but... and find "problems" to pick on, even if those problems are subjective (hard to argue with). Make it sound like you have to compromise (with your needs/emotions) to buy this car. "Yeah, that option is nice.. but I don't really need it!" :-) The rule of thumb is: the more (positive) emotion you show, the more you'll pay. Make it sound like you're buying a pair of work pants. ;-)

Another thing salespeople tend to ask (and they almost always do) is when you are looking to buy. Don't tell them you need a car tomorrow or next week (even if you do). Keep them interested by saying you're in the market (i.e. serious about buying) but are flexible and will buy once you find the "right" car. They will try to convince you that the car you're looking at is the "right" car. Yeah, but does it have the "right" price?! They don't want you to go somewhere else to find the right car. The dealers know that the moment you (the serious buyer) walk out that door, it's a potential loss sale, even if you already agree on everything and just want to bring your wife back to see it. That's why they invent all sorts of tactics to keep you in the dealership.

Talk about those tactics, they like to "beat you up and wear you down" while you're in there. People tend to make less sound judgement when they're pressured, in a hurry, or tired. Even wonder why you have to wait a long time for the sales manager to approve a "proposed" price? Once and a while, the sales manager would come out and try to close the deal. If you're not ready, just tell them staight up that you don't make decisions "on the spot".

As for custom order from the factory, I'd stay away from that. You're unlikely to get a good price if you custom order from the factory. As with anything rare/limited/collectible, you'll have to pay for it. And more often that not, the down payment is not refundable. They may say it is, but read the fine-print carefully. It's worded such that that custom option installed makes the down payment non-refundable. So, if you find issues with the car (or your preference changes, i.e. it's not what you thought it would be), you're stuck with it.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Well, the Genesis will not be available with a manual transmission, unless you are thinking of the coupe that will be out next year.

However, to answer (from one viewpoint anyway) the question about ordering a special car and pricing, I would like to take a stab. Most of the time the reason for discounting a car (or any other type of inventory) is to stimulate sales or to reduce inventory. If a dealer is having to order a car just for you and especially if it is not a mass market package as you have mentioned here, then there is no incentive to offer a discount. Most likely no other dealer is going to have an "oddball" package that they are trying to desperately give away unless they ordered it by mistake. Anyway, just thought I would offer one point of view.

I still don't have my FIRST Genesis!!!! This is getting silly. :mad:
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Just one question: how is it possible to buy something that you're not in love with?

Easy. If that something costs $40,000+, then I would really need to feel the love. If it costs $15,000, I will settle for a stable, friendly relationship that meets my basic needs. :)
  • Options
  • Options
    moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    Yep, never loved my old car, but 11.1k + TTL was hard to beat anywhere. If everything was just based on liking a vehicle, we'd all buy those massively overpriced luxury cars. There's a lotta need and want and cost issues that control what we do.
  • Options
    Dueho...I can now say that it was not the 3.8 w/tech package, it was merely the 3.8 w/premium package. The dead give-away would be the knob mounted on the lower center console behind the shifter...the one I saw didn't have that.
  • Options
    Amen to that!!!

Personally, I would LOVE to see a Bentley Continental GT in my driveway, or maybe an Audi R8. However, I'd TRULY love to see a Porsche 911 GT2. However, my bank account truly LOVES the Azera Limited that is currently gracing my driveway at this time. :blush:
  • Options
    tjones39tjones39 Member Posts: 31
    Hello All, I had the opportunity to test drive a black on black Genesis with premium pkg today. I was completely impressed seriously. The car has really nice quality leather interior smelled like BMW leather to me. The leather dash was really cool also hopefully it wears well. The V6 had plenty of power especially for the weight of the car, the transmission was awesome which helps the V6 I think some. Tons of interior room and very upscale looking both inside and out. The car just felt extremely solid and the suspension was very very smooth and not floating at all I felt. I hear the V8 model will be stiffer but this one wasn't soft either. Not BMW firm more like a Lexus ride I would say. I would put this car as a cross between my 2003 Infiniti Q45 the interiors look a lot alike, and the exterior of a 5 series BMW with an overall Lexus driving feel. I think they did a SUPER job on this car!!! My current lease is up in 6 months so it will definitely be a possibility when the time comes!
  • Options
    docrwdocrw Member Posts: 94
    You're right on most points, except the factory order. You can always back away from an order and I have never had, nor heard of anyone that, did not get their deposit back. Also, you can get just as good, or better price on an ordered car. There are several reasons for this: one, the dealer knows that the car won't be sitting on the lot while they are paying interest on it. Two, they increase their allocation of cars by ordering, usually for every car they custom order they get an equivalent increase in their allocation. Three, unless you order the most ugly (neon yellow) color, they will most likely be able to sell it. Most of the time people custom order because the dealer doesn't have the color they want or doesn't have a particular option or package on the lot. It is rare that someone will order a car with a truly bizarre option set. Also, there are very few options that are offered that are so outrageous no one would want them, unless you're talking about Bentley's and Maserati's which can be customized up the wazoo, and then you're in a completely different ballgame anyway.

When I was buying my most recent car, I ordered it from a dealer after the car I wanted was sold, I got the same price I negotiated for the car that was on the lot before someone else bought it.
  • Options
    kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Only problem is you're going to have to wait for it to be shipped from Korea. Anyone know how long a special-order Genesis might take to receive? Another option is a dealer swap. See if another dealership has the car you want and trade him for it.
  • Options
    I discussed the swap option with a dealer when I bought my Azera and he told me that they'd have to charge me about $500 more for the car. When I pressed him on why, he said that the "hold-back" they receive is given to the dealer from which the car came. In other words -- they wouldn't get the hold-back on the car I buy. It would go to the dealer from which it came. But then I bought up the fact that they would SEND an Azera to the other dealer to swap and THAT hold-back would go to them when sold. The dealer said that was true, but there was no guarantee that it would sell and so they have to prepare for the worst by charging me $500 extra to do a swap.

Needless to say, I didn't do the swap. But that was only one of 1,322 problems I had with the four Hyundai dealerships I dealt with and some of the other problems were far far worse.
  • Options
    kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    My Cadillac dealer did a swap with another in the DFW area because I wanted one of the last DTS's in Cotillion White. No problem. Your story is one reason why the Genesis program may just be shot down before it gets going. The dealerships are treating Genesis customers like they're shopping for an Accent. I have yet to drive one, but it's going to take an exceptional sales experience for me to actually lease one. "Get out the hot dogs and balloons," said the Sales Manager in the yellow plaid suit, "we're having a tent sale!!!!"
  • Options
    Any advice for someone like me who likes relatively rare trims like a (nearly) fully loaded manual transmission model? Is it still possible to negotiate a good price for a car that may have to be ordered from the factory?

Figure out what the real price is, then make a fair deal based on how many there are on lots and what others pay. You obviously can't ask invoice on a car you have to order. So maybe 1k under MSRP if it's rare. Then go in determined. Like someone else said (and I know this person got this straight from a website) don't act like you're in love with the car and be a little nonchalant, but say this is what I want and this is what I will pay for it.

I was in somewhat of the same situaltion once, and it worked for me, but I may have been a little mean or intimidating.
  • Options
    Funny, I just read the exact same advice on some website. :)
  • Options
    black_pearlblack_pearl Member Posts: 15
    link title You GOTTA HAVE A LOOK AT WHAT THIS ONE GUY DID TO HIS GENESIS! :shades: I kinda like the quad pipe set up look. I tried posting just the picture but got frustrated and posted the link instead. The car is about half way down the page.
  • Options
    FINE looking auto, that is!
  • Options
    What you say is true if you do a factory order for a standard configuration that is not available. But when you're talking "custom", that's a different story. For example, a standard configuration for a car only has gray or black interiors with silver exterior. There's none available, so you can order one from the factory. But that's not the customization we're talking about. Let's say you want a beige or brown interior with that silver exterior. That's where you need to read the fine-print regarding custom configuration. Chances are that the refund doesn't cover non-standard configuration. I'd be very surprise if it does.

In the example above, if things don't turn out the way you expect, then the dealer is stuck trying to sell a silver car with a brown interior. Imagine the discount he'll have to throw in to get anyone to buy it.

I know about this because I recently look to do a factory order of a Build Enclave.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've been using those advices for the past 10 years to buy 4 cars. I got three at or below invoice and one slightly above invoice. :-)

So, I'd say those work for me.
  • Options
    Okay...I finally got to take a Genesis for a test spin. I say that a bit tongue in cheek as it was a short ride and I didn't get to traverse any highways or city streets either.

Anyway...I tested a midnight blue 3.8 premium plus packaged Genesis ($36K). The dealer also had an ice blue standard premium package ($35K) and a black base model ($33K). I took my time to sit in the car, to touch the surfaces and see how everything looked and felt. The front seat is easy chair comfortable, but you don't sink down into it, the leather has a thick, supple feel to it. All the controls are well laid out and well marked. It takes no time to understand what controls what and how to operate everything, even the sound system was intuitive.

The dash has a very high quality feel to it. The surfaces that are not covered with the nice faux wood grain or leather have a very soft, supple feel to them. It has the same feeling as the top part of the dash in the Azera. The arm rest on the center console is even covered with actual leather (unlike the terrible leathertte in the Azera).

Okay, after sitting up front, I had to climb in back to see what the rear seat offered potential riders. I'm 6'2" and I weigh 215 lbs. With the driver's seat in the position I need it to be in to drive comfortably, I am able to climb in the back seat (behind the driver's seat) and sit with my knees together (in my Azera, I can sit behind the driver's seat, but my legs are open so that my knees are on either side of the seat back). Anyway, the reat seats offer a very comfortable seating position. Not quite as easy chair comfortable as the front seats, but not far off.

One feature I like is that the climate control for the rear riders isn't completely controlled by the front. On the back of the center console, you have two vents as well as a dial to either raise or lower the temp of the air and another to cut the air flow off. Also, on the B-pillar, there is another vent for the rear seat riders as well.

Another thing I liked is that they used brighter LED lights for the overhead lights.

Okay...on to the drive. With the key sitting in the cup holder of the center console, I pushed the brake down and pushed the start button. There's a slight pause (and you hear a couple things happening), then the car comes to life. The one I tested had the steering column set for easy out, so it lowered into place for me and afterwards, I adjusted (power adjust) it with the switch on the side of the column, set the seat the way I needed it and adjusted the mirrors.

I opened the sunroof and all the windows so I could listen to the car for a little while. Then...I eased on the gas to pull out of the lot. The car responds nicely to light touches on the gas pedal, it eased out onto the street and I straightened out and went on my way. Driving down the street, heads turned left and right as I cruised through the little town (doing no more than about 35 mph at this point). The car had a very, very solid feel. I purposely rode over any potholes or uneven spots of pavement to see how it handled them...nothing but poise.

I was able to work my way over to a road that allowed for some higher speed cruising, but there were a lot of lights so the drive was interrupted every so often. However, I was able to stomp on the gas pedal to get a feel for it's response. Acceleration is smooth and strong. It does lack the lower end torque, so it doesn't snatch you back, but...you do know you're accelerating briskly. The exhaust is quiet and you really don't hear much of a growl unless you're really into the accelerator and catching the higher end of the tach. The brakes, very smooth, quiet and confident.

I wasn't able to find any twists and turns to see how the body felt in transitions from a side to side type of action, but the feel I get when turning corners...I think it would handle those with a solid stability that you don't get in the Azera. There is certainly no floaty feel at all when driving the Genesis, you feel very connected to the road.

Okay...after all that, I had to have a little fun. On my way back to the dealership, I turned the ESC off and at an intersection, I punched the gas pedal and forced the back wheels to break traction, hit the turn and brought it back under control without any fuss...the balance of the car is extremely nice.

Well, that pretty much sums up my ride for now. Next time, I'm going to go back with the wife and we are going to take an extended cruise to really get a feel of how the Genesis handles downtown DC streets, see how it is on the highway and find some fun roads to tackle. Hopefully by then, they'll have the V-8 in stock and I can really have some fun.

P.S. Oh....as far as storage goes, I'm used to what my Azera offers so I didn't find storage to be a problem in the Genesis. One write up said that they would like to have seen more. Honestly, it's really hard to find anything that's really wrong with the car except for omissions like power side view mirrors. Power pedals really isn't needed considering the steering wheel telescopes, raises & lowers and the driver's seat adjusts plenty of ways to get you in the best position to drive.
  • Options
    Hey guys. I got my Genesis brochures in today.

I would assume that would mean that most all dealers should have them now or within a day or so.

The V8 wheels are so sharp!!
  • Options
    Based on the tags and the quad tipped exhaust, I would say that's a Korean spec Genesis. I say that because there's pics of an Azera done similarly. The wheels would more than likely be aftermarket for sure.

There's a a couple of places that offer aftermarket stuff for Hyundai's and I'm sure it won't be long before they have quite a few offerings to spruce up an already beautiful car (the Genesis). In case you're interested, the two best sites I've found for Hyundai aftermarket stuff:

Korean Auto Imports

Seoulful Racing
  • Options
    Jeffreid...are the wheels on the V-8 any different than the ones that come on the 3.8 w/premium plus package (18" wheels)??? I was in a showroom today and even the 17" wheels that come standard on the Genesis look good, they have a very BMW-ish look to them. I'd love to see them in chrome.

By the way, your review was extremely on point on every aspect. I test drove one today (3.8 w/premium plus package). I'm waiting for the 4.6 model to come along so I can test that one too.
  • Options
    Great review!!!

Seems like everyone's waiting for the V8, especially given the slight change in price.
  • Options
    V8 gets it own wheels. There are two for the V6 trim lines. The base V6 and the one with premium packages.

Believe it or not, I actually prefer the base V6 wheels :) Wonder if I could do a V8 order with the V6 base wheels - maybe Hyundai could give me a discount or something ;)