2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2009+

Comments

• Options
    jeffreidjeffreid Member Posts: 162
    I'm sorry, but I am in Arkansas and we do not do any leases with HMFC. Our store has not done a single lease in the time that I have been here, and the credit analysts that I have spoken with don't even know how to construct one.

For my area, we have subvented financing rates that start at 0.9% for 48 months.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :(
  • Options
    dave174dave174 Member Posts: 25
    Would any one know the National ratio of the orders for the V6 vs the V8. I realize it may be too soon to know but wanted to ask

I know my interest is in the V8 with the tech package and white.

With the tech packages not available yet, the V8 which appears to be in limited supply and the white color not available, may cause us to re think, but I guess I can wait another 30 days to see what shakes out of the trees here in California

This web site should be mandatory reading for all dealer Genesis sales personnel. It would sure get them current with whats going on Nationally and they can even educate their factory rep.
  • Options
    ricwhitericwhite Member Posts: 292
    I'm an Azera owner looking to "maybe" upgrade to Genesis. From many reviews, it's looking pretty good. A couple of observations:

1) The very weak U.S. dollar has caused the price for foreign products (Genesis) to go much higher than expected. I bet if the dollar would've stayed the same as it was three years ago, the Genesis would've been priced at least 2-3K less. Rumors of increasing prices are probably due to the continued decline in the strength of the dollar.

2) Gas may hit $6-7 per gallon by this time next year. I think we'll see a HUGE nosedive in sales of large SUV, trucks, and luxury vehicles. In fact we're already seeing it to some degree with gas at $4 per gallon. I think the Genesis will have an initial novelty surge of interest and sales but then falter from the poor U.S. economy and high gas prices.

3) I would expect the initial price of the Genesis to be at MSRP or maybe even a little higher through 2008, but then come way down with significant incentives and discounts heading into 2009 when sales start to plummet.

I'm going to cautiously wait until next year before making a final decision.
  • Options
    milan13milan13 Member Posts: 15
    I am in detroit and dealers in my area (I spoke to 3 dealers so far) are expecting the car this week in their showroom. All have received invoices and order books. They have told that V6 Tech will be available by end July.

On the lease offer, it is going to be valid for next couple of months as part of the launch planned by Huyndai. They said that Hyundai is planning the big marketing event as part of their road show planned and the offer should be valid at least till Sept end.

The lease on V6 with premium plus is $425 and fully loaded with tech package is around $450. No news on the V8 package but it should be somewhere around $440 to $500.

I am expecting the test drive the vehicle early next week as this is the long week end. Will keep you updated.
  • Options
    rotaryrotary Member Posts: 71
    Hyundai's timing on the Genesis couldn't be worse.

All auto sales were down - especially luxury vehicles, trucks and SUVs - even 6 cylinder cars.

The only thing moving was 4 banger fuel sippers.

Toyota's sales (Toyota!!!) were down 20% in June, and Lexus was down a stunning 22%.

With gas prices definitely going higher, especially over the next month (after that, we may see relief from oil demand destruction - probably after the China Olympics), I think those sales figures Hyundai had modeled for the Genesis are going to be hard to hit.

I've been wrong before. I agree with the poster who said waiting a year may really pay off, though. This car may be much cheaper in a year - new.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    OTOH, did you notice Hyundai/Kia sales were up in June, and the Azera's sales were relatively flat year-to-year--actually an accomplishment considering plunging sales for competitors like the Avalon. So that could mean that people who do want a luxury sedan will be looking to make every dollar count in the future--both on the price of the car, and on gas (Genesis does not require premium whereas many competitors do). And the Genesis has good FE numbers for its class as well.

There are some people who simply want more than a fuel-sipping economy sedan to drive. Sales of luxury sedans is not zero, not close to it, just down from historic levels. The question is, how many of these buyers will turn to the Genesis?
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Not sure the order placement but Hyundai USA is staying with the goal 80/20 between V6 and V8 (80% V6; 20% V8).

The V8 should not be available yet; as Hyundai only started V8 production a few weeks ago, so at the earliest mid-July?? V6 started in April for the US market IIRC.
  • Options
    I was just going to mention that, as Hyundai and Kia both did really well in June, and are among the few automakers that had overall uptick trends vs. the same period last year.

30 units of Genesis sold :) That number is a lot of nothing at this point for interpretation, since dealers are still getting their units allocated, and the full range of Genesis trims are still weeks away, at least. A good start for only a few short days and at limited dealers. A few dealers I talked to have already and all pre-sold every allocation confirmed/received, so I am still waiting...
  • Options
    moocow1moocow1 Member Posts: 230
    It's amazing even with the hurt on Hyundai and Kia Suv's that their sales are still growing. This is one of the best years in a while for them even with the terrible first quarter. Hopefully it'll keep improving as their cars get better. Genesis will certainly create some stir as it gets out there. As it's more of a high ticket, low volume item already, I doubt the sales will be terribly hurt by the current gas prices. Nobody buying a genesis is really in it for the fuel economy, even though it's pretty good for a large rwd.
  • Options
    mame2mame2 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you for information.

When V8 Tech will be available?

I heard from the dealer of my city it will be available next year.

But I found at ebay V8 is listed.

Thanks.
  • Options
    OTOH, did you notice Hyundai/Kia sales were up in June, and the Azera's sales were relatively flat year-to-year--actually an accomplishment considering plunging sales for competitors like the Avalon. So that could mean that people who do want a luxury sedan will be looking to make every dollar count in the future--both on the price of the car, and on gas (Genesis does not require premium whereas many competitors do). And the Genesis has good FE numbers for its class as well.

There are some people who simply want more than a fuel-sipping economy sedan to drive. Sales of luxury sedans is not zero, not close to it, just down from historic levels. The question is, how many of these buyers will turn to the Genesis?

Those are all fair points. But the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla and Toyota Camry were the three best selling cars in June. Wow. That tells a vivid tale.

We are living in a very uncertain era.

I just went from almost buying an Infiniti M35 to purchasing a new Sonata because I do have some fear about what's to come.

I could afford the M35, but am not egotistical, and want to make sure I protect my liquidity.
  • Options
    Civic, Corolla, Camry, (and Accord) are amongst the most popular cars in the US, and have been for a while now. The current economy just reinforces the situation, and we are now seeing vast shift into smaller vehichles. Where it used to be trucks (i.e. F-150) reign, that is no longer the case.

Let's get back to the Genesis, shall we? :)
  • Options
    technishawntechnishawn Member Posts: 26
    Yes, I too spoke of the options the Genesis does not have and was put firmly in my place. All hail the Genesis...resistance is futile... :surprise: Was that okay ...did I say it right. :P
  • Options
    kourykoury Member Posts: 225
    If you believe so, then yes.
  • Options
    When the V8 models get here at the end of August or the first of September, the Pearl White paint and the tech packages are supposed to be readily available.

Or so they say...................

When the 2006 Sonata was introduced, the Powder White pearl paint was also about a month behind. From what I have see, Hyundai understands that a pearl paint job has to be perfect or it will not look the part. They have been willing to wait an extra couple of weeks to make sure that everything is perfect with their new products instead of launching with "little" problems.
  • Options
    lucky4me2lucky4me2 Member Posts: 15
    I drove the Genesis V-6 and thought it to be very nice. However, I have to agree with those that contend that the Genesis will be cross shopped with the Avalon (i own a Limited and would buy another), the new Max, the ES350, etc. The vast majority that would otherwise have the tendency to own a german car or higher end Japanese car will not gravitate toward the first-swing Korean luxury car. Having said that, cars like the Avalon are being heavily discounted - actually being bought below dealer invoice. That would seeminly leave the Genesis flapping in the breeze between the 2 segments. I'm guessing it will be the lonely stepchild until it is discounted to play with the other very-nice-but-not-top-shelf models......at least until H pay their dues for a few years. MSRP (or close) for a Genesis?.......not a snowball's chance after the intial gotta-be-first buyers have them.
  • Options
    duehodueho Member Posts: 25
    I agree! In this economy, it's insane to pay MSRP (or close to) for a Genesis. I bought my wife a loaded Lexus RX350 earlier this year. We paid invoice! And that's for the most popular Lexus model out there.

I understand that there will be those who want to be the first and would pay premium. All powers to them.

I'll bide my time and wait for the V8 Tech Genesis. :)
  • Options
    bchengbcheng Member Posts: 5
    So I finally got a chance to go down to a dealer nearby my office (in Maryland, in the Washington DC area) to test drive the new Genesis, I feel compelled to write a review as I know some dealers are posting on this forum, and I really wanted to describe the experience because I have never been to a Hyundai dealership before.

I parked my Audi Allroad 4.2 in the guest lot, walked into the store, and to my surprise, was not greeted by ANYBODY as I walked around for a few minutes. :( There was one young sales guy talking to an older couple, obviously busy. So I knock on the manager's office window, at which time he slowly looked up asked what I wanted, I gestured a "what's going on". He yelled out to one of the offices next to him and an old sales guy eventually emerged asking what I wanted. I said I wanted to test drive a Genesis, and he kinda gave me a foreign look, and literally spent the next 10 minutes getting my license copied and searched various cabinets for the key. Upon walking to the car, he asked if I wanted to "buy" or "test drive", I said test drive, because I wanted a Genesis with Technology Package, which no dealers have yet.

It was a Premium Plus black/black with about 10 miles on it, sitting lonely in the lot. The sales guy sat in it, fumbled for a while, and he couldn't start the Genesis... :confuse: he went inside, not even asking me to try, and finally came out with another young sales, who knew more about the car and showed me how to insert key into the slot and press the button. The older sales said the car's been on the lot for only 2 days. He then said I can only drive around the block because he doesn't want me to put too many miles on the brand new car with limited allocation. I instantly gave him a dirty look, because that's the first time I've heard this during a test drive, ever.

The ride was, I have to admit, very nice and the 3.8 engine, suspension, handling all performed beyond my expectation. I couldn't really test the speakers because the car was very hot having parked outside for so long, the A/C fan was too loud.

As I handed the key over, he didn't bother to show me any features of the car, he said he hasn't been trained. I asked if I could have a brochure, he said he had none, "it's THAT new." :sick: That dealership has a no-haggle policy, the yellow price tag for their Genesis was $350 above MSRP, because the sales said it's new and limited allocation.

Honestly, I so much wanted Hyundai to succeed, because I heard much hype about the car and would love to see another Asian brand challenge German made cars. The Genesis itself was indeed nice, but for a few grand more, I can get a nice Infiniti and a true luxury car treatment and maintenance service.

Next month, I will try another dealership and see if the experience is different. I still want to get a Genesis with Tech Package. But if the dealership is similarly poor at customer service or training, I will absolutely reconsider and get a different brand.

What happened to all the mandatory sales training, dedicated sales person who can handle Genesis luxury car-like customers? I'm SOOO disappointed and can only hope I went to a poor dealership. What can I expect from the maintenance service?
  • Options
    Wow, your experience brings back memories regarding my Azera experiences of 2.5 years ago.

Can you imagine anything even CLOSE to that happening at a Lexus or BMW dealership?

My first Hyundai dealership I visited, I was prepared to lease the Azera. I was handed over by the manager to an elderly sales associate who sat very comfortably in his chair behind the desk while I asked questions. Oddly, the manager stood by the door. Every question I asked, the older guy looked confused and looked at the manager who answered for him. In fact, I don't think the older guy answered ANY of my questions.

When it came down to lease terms, the manager sat down next to me and we went over all the numbers. All looked good at that point until he returned with the actual payment. I asked for the advertised $299 lease deal. The paperwork he gave me indicated a $550 per month payment. I asked how that could be so and when I looked more closely at the printout I saw he changed the negotiated terms. The $1000 rebate that was supposed to be deducted off the cap cost was actually ADDED to the cap cost . . . I kid you not. And the money factor was higher than what we talked about. He told me that I'd never get the $299 deal because it would cost the dealerships too much money. We got into a big argument and he finally told me to get out.

I was so upset over the experience that I called Hyundai to report it and they DEFENDED the dealer saying that all advertised prices and deals were OPTIONAL and dealers don't have to abide by them.

Anyway . . . don't get me started because I have stories about two other Hyundai dealerships that are just as bad.

Luckily I DID find one that knew what they were doing and I DID get the $299 lease deal that I was after. But it took a LOT of time and effort to find.

That's why I think it's a mistake to sell the Genesis in the same dealerships as they other Hyundai vehicles. The Genesis are selling alongside the Accents and the incompetent sales associates are still there.
  • Options
    You should certainly move on from that dealership, given your experience.

Sadly there are too many dealers (and this goes for almost every brand, luxury and non-luxury brands) not knowing how to treat a customer.

I can certainly understand about the pricing (especially at this stage in time), I can even understand more about keeping the miles as low as possible, but in terms of customer experience, at least from your story, this Hyundai dealer needs to be stripped of selling the Genesis (I don't believe every dealership gets to sell the Genesis...)

Just as a fair point, Hyundai dealers for the most part, are very good. I sincerely hope the next Hyundai dealer will allow you to have a better experience, at the very least. Move on from this...

On a related note, the Dodge Challenger SRT-8 at a FL dealer, with $15K market value adjustment (dealer mark-up) - total price 56K. Worst of all, no test drives at all, and tagged with a 13/18 fuel economy ratings. :sick:

All that said, I am still jealous you've got the drive the car ;) I am eagerly awaiting for the call...
  • Options
    It's hard to tell if the car truly rides nice if they only let you take it around the block, isn't it?

I won't buy a car unless I know it intimately already, or I can test it for a good, long time, driving over very rough patches of roads and highways, and a wide variety of road surfaces.

A model of the Infiniti M35 I was going to buy (might still, in fact - don't ask; had a bad experience regarding the Sonata I want - yes, dealer related) was freely given to me FOR A WEEKEND to drive as much as I wanted by my local Infiniti dealer. The service there is unbelievable.
  • Options
    As said previously, I can understand with the limited test drive, especially considering there is only one unit on the lot. Certainly I would not want to buy a NEW car with 1,000 miles on the OD, for example. Would you?
  • Options
    viking967viking967 Member Posts: 23
    "Overall, it falls in somewhere between a non-sport package Mercedes and a Lexus GS"....

Pretty good for a first year model at a significantly lower cost!

http://www.motivemag.com/pub/feature/versus/Motive.shtml
  • Options
    No, I wouldn't.

But what option does someone have, then? Maybe Hyundai would be wise to encourage dealers to have a demo, like most other dealerships have?
  • Options
    akumaakuma Member Posts: 70
    oh well... it's not as if most people were going to seriously cross-shop Genesis and Merc/BMW/Audi. a better comparison might have been the Genesis against the Lexus LS/GS or Acura RL. not the Infiniti M, since it's more like a Japanese BMW. the Genesis might actually come out ahead when compared to the Japanese brands.

but having said that, i feel that the Genesis won't be the ground-breaking car the original LS400 was. that car was more refined, reliable, quieter, had a better ride in addition to being some $20,000-40,000 less comparably equipped than it's rivals, Mercedes S and BMW 7. that car clearly raised the bar, and the Germans responded. they improved their cars significantly on the next generations, in particular, the ride and dealership experience, and made many options standard. although, one could argue that since the bar has already been raised so high (and still being raised), BMW and Mercedes (and Lexus), won't be able to improve their brand so much the second time around. they can't make their cars significantly better and cheaper as well. maybe in a few years, Hyundai will come out with an even more premium car with more power, refinement, handling, technology for around $50,000 fully loaded. along with a new brand. but there is still much uncertainty in the near future for the auto industry and the economy (oil) in general.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    A demo would be a good idea, although the cost would be considerable, given that there are few Genesis sedans available right now.

This experience brought to mind a similar experience I had a couple of years ago. I went to my local Honda dealer for a special event, an open house in honor of the then-new Fit. The whole point of the event was that the dealer had some Fits available to test-drive, and they invited one and all to come in, grab some free food, and drive the Fit. Great, I thought, I was interested in the Fit at the time and thought it would be the perfect opportunity to drive the different trims, stick and AT.

So, two things happened that remind me of this Genesis test drive story:

1) There was a very short test drive course laid out, basically a loop on city streets. Less than 2 miles. The sales reps were told NOT to deviate from it. They accompanied the drivers on every test drive. Reason? "These Fits will probably be sold soon and we don't want to put many miles on them." Note that the Fit is not a $33k+ luxury sedan, but a $14k+ econobox.

2) I knew more about the Fit than the sales reps did. Sure, it was a new model for the U.S., but it had been around in other countries for years before and I expected the reps would have been trained on this new model. Note that the Fit is considerably less complex than the Genesis.

One more thing: I was unsure after those test drives if the driver's seat would be comfortable. I suspected from the short drives it would not be, but I really liked the car otherwise so I decided to take one more drive, a much longer one, to find out. I went to a different Honda dealer near me several weeks later to take a test drive. I was told "We have no Fits for test drives." I ran into a similar problem when I tried to test-drive the then-new 2004 Prius in the fall of 2003. A local dealer had no demo for me to drive.

So it is not just Hyundai who has these kinds of issues, and not just with luxury cars like the Genesis.
  • Options
    allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Bcheng...I know of the dealership you're talking about, I bought my '02 Sonata there. When it came time for me to purchase my Azera, I went to them first and was treated like a 3rd rate citizen. My business quickly went to a certain Hyundai dealer out in Waldorf, MD. It's a smaller store, but the folks there were attentive and made me feel like I was their priority.

P.S. The service department at the dealership you stopped at, believe it or not, is top notch!!!
  • Options
    albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    I thought the Genesis wasn't supposed to be delivered until August. This seems too early for just a suprise early release. i think Hyundai planned it this way.
  • Options
    The word was always mid-late summer. As it got closer, the V-6 was to be dropped in July with the V-8 following up in August or September.
  • Options
    sg2ksg2k Member Posts: 19
    My local dealer said, Hyundai wants to make sure there are enough units at each dealer by September-when they'll start ad campaign everywhere. That's why it's at the dealer now, yet it's not widely advertised. More units will be allocated little by little until Sept. so when customers stop by after they saw the ad on tv they won't have problem with supply.
  • Options
    That makes sense. Initially, the dealers were saying they were only going to be allocated 2, no more than 3 Genesis vehicles to begin with. I guess to gauge interest by location and then when the larger shipments come in, the dealers with the greater interest shown...get more cars initially.
  • Options
    Well, have you been looking at the links posted from actual owners? ;)

Anyway, the timeline has always been for June/July release for the V6, and the V8 to follow later. Some dealers received their first shipment mid-to-late June, with most getting their allocations or additional shipments in July.

And it makes sense, since the Genesis V6 for the North American market started cranking for production in April (from Korea). V8 had just started about two weeks ago, so we should see them late July/early August (speculative) time frame, which would put it earlier than estimate :)
  • Options
    I wanted to throw in some "other side of the desk" perspective on the horrendous treatment that I am seeing talked about here. I am not shocked, but boy am I appalled.

Now, I don't know what dealer you were at, but I'm not sure that they have no hope of being successful. I don't care if they are selling Accent's, Genesis', or something like toilet paper. There is no excuse to have a new model on the ground and not have all staff well educated enough on the product to demonstrate it effectively!!

In my store, I have restricted the Genesis to my two best sales people. This is going to be a low volume model, but the people that will be shopping it will have high expectations as to the way they will be treated. I am amazed at how lazy most people are in this business. I mean, seriously, how hard is it to go outside and press some buttons, read the manual, and drive the car?!

Anyway, in the future, if you don't feel good about the person that you are speaking with at the dealership, ask for another sales person or maybe the sales manager. Don't let someone else's laziness make your experience worse.

Now, two other little points. There are not yet brochures out for the Genesis. That was true. They should be in within the next couple of weeks. Second, you will read in the fine print of ANY lease deal from ANY manufacturer that "dealer contribution" will affect the final lease terms. There is a "suggested" dealer discount from the mfr in all of those teasers. It is up to the dealer whether they want to participate or not. I say this only to say that each dealer is not bound to honor those mfr advertisments, but that finding one that will shouldn't be that tough.

One last thing. If I was Joe Consumer and I was going to drive a Genesis, I would call the dealer first to check availability and then ask to speak with someone that is STAR CERTIFIED on the Genesis specifically. This means that the person either attended the same class that I did, or they passed a test on that car. These people SHOULD know something about the car and have some experience. You can set an appointment to see the car and if they aren't totally brain-dead (which may be asking a lot) they will have the car waiting for you. There are these morons at every dealership, just try and ask for a sales rep that has been with that dealer for a while (two years or better) and your experience should be better. I've got one right now that I want to fire every morning that I get to work. :mad:
  • Options
    Hey Jeffreid, I know of the dealership bcheng spoke of...I'm not surprised. Not to say the whole staff is like that, it sounds like he happend to go in on a day that the knowledgable staff wasn't there. There's a couple of folks in there that know the Hyundai's, but overall...the sales staff isn't top notch.

There is a brochure out for the Genesis, but it's not the sales brochure, just the preview brochure.

It really is a shame when a consumer can go into a store and know more about any given vehicle they might be interested in. I test drove the '07 Santa Fe and started talking to the salesman about the upcoming Veracruz and he looked at me like I was speaking Korean. His exact words were, "I have no idea that Hyundai is coming out with an SUV to be positioned above the Santa Fe." I kid you not.

On the other hand, the service manager at the previously spoken about dealership is VERY knowlegable (he's been with Hyundai since the beginning). He was the one that put the bug in my ear about the Azera when i had my '02 Sonata and was getting ready to test drive the '06 Sonata. His exact words were, "If you like the new Sonata, you'll love the new car coming out AND it will have more room as well." This conversation took place in mid 2005. I test drove the '06 Sonata around August of '05 and then I saw the '06 Azera in the showroom by December. I test drove it in January of '06 and purchased the following month.

At any rate...what I'm saying is, there are good folks and folks that don't know the headlight from the tail light. So sad!
  • Options
    And let it be known this happens way too often, and similar cases across almost every brand.

Nice post Jeff and allmet, by the way!!
  • Options
    Since being a part of this forum, I'm starting to understand that it's a national problem. The crazy thing that the "stores" don't seem to understand is that the sales experience can make or break them. If a buyer has a good experience, they'll want to bring their business back when they trade up or buy another vehicle. The same for customer service by the service department. A great service department can make ownership of something in the econo-box range a pleasant experience. Some "stores" only care about getting your money out of your pocket and sending you on your way. Please notice I said some, there are plenty that truly do get it and provide customers with the feeling that they do matter.
  • Options
    kourykoury Member Posts: 225
    Once again jeffreid, you are the voice of reason. I would NEVER let the dealership decide if a car is right for me. I will buy this car after a test drive (assuming it meets my criteria), regardless of who my sales rep or dealership is.
  • Options
    Jeff, I appreciate the great information you offer. You sound like a great dealership to work with. You mentioned that dealerships have the “option” to implement advertised lease deals, etc. and that it shouldn’t be hard to find one that will. However, I found it very difficult and time consuming here in Utah. Let me be very specific so people can avoid my awful experience and let me also say, that I DID find a wonderful Hyundai dealership that was VERY responsive and GREAT to work with. But first my horror experiences.

1) Westland Hyundai in Ogden, Utah. AVOID. After initially telling me they certainly will give me the lease deal, they didn’t. They actually ADDED on the $1000 rebate to the cap cost and modified numbers at the end to bring an advertised lease of $299 up to about $550 per month. They told me that no dealership could do that lease deal because they would lose money. I knew that wasn’t true because I read LOTS of personal accounts of the lease deal right here on these forums. I even had printouts from specific experiences. When I told them and showed them that, they told me that all of them were lying and they asked me to leave and try elsewhere. They guaranteed I wouldn’t find the Azera for under $500 on the 27 month lease.

2) Riverton Hyundai – Riverton, Utah. AVOID. They are about 45 minutes away. I called them and talked directly to the person in charge of leases. I brought up the exact lease deal as specified in on the Hyundai site - $299/month. He said it would be no problem. I made an appointment to meet the next day. I drove to the address in the phone book which led me to a huge open field. I had to call them again to get the CORRECT address (and they had NO IDEA their address was incorrect in the phone book so I pointed it out in the phone book on the counter). After talking and presenting the lease terms from my printouts, they left me for an unusually long time. When they came back, they told me that they couldn’t get the lease software to work. They said the lease manager was gone. (That’s the one I MADE THE APPOINTMENT WITH). They said they would have him call me. I drove back home. He called me THREE DAYS LATER and I was told the best lease on the Azera was around $390 a month.

3) Ken Garff Hyundai – Salt Lake City, Utah . AVOID. Called and made an appointment. Drove there. Within minutes of talking to them I knew something was wrong. I was negotiating the cap cost, but their numbers were off. The invoice pricing on the Azera (which they showed me in print-out) was about $800 higher than all of the literature, online auto sites, and all of the other Hyundai dealerships I visited. I told them was the correct invoice and retail pricing was and showed them in several papers that I brought. They told me they were all wrong. I asked about the other dealerships and they told me they were lying. Then it got worse from there. They had weird added fees. For example, they had a “Dealer Name Fee” of $350. When I asked them what that was, I was told it was a mandatory fee for the “privilege” of posting “Ken Garff” on the building and vehicles. It was at this point, that I knew this was a lost cause and I left.

4) Murdock Hyundai – Orem, Utah. EXCELLENT. Usually I stop after three strikes, but I really wanted to lease an Azera. So, I called Murdock Hyundai and made an appointment. It was a 1.5 hour drive. When I mentioned the lease deal, I was told “absolutely.” I didn’t even have to negotiate. $299 a month, plus taxes. They also had the color I wanted. Done within an hour. Now THAT’’S how it’s done. Perfect.

Just out of spite, I emailed Westland Hyundai in Ogden and reminded the sales manager that he guaranteed I couldn’t find an Azera lease for under $500. I told him I just lease it for $299 plus tax at Murdock Hyundai in Orem, Utah. I never got a response, obviously. Idiots.

At least I know where to go for my Hyundai vehicles, but as you can see, it was NOT “easy” to find one. That’s why I was concerned about selling the Genesis at regular Hyundai dealerships. I can’t even imagine getting a Genesis at any of those dealerships that I had awful experiences with trying to lease an Azera.

And I know they haven’t changed much because I get my “service” at Westland Hyundai in Ogden where I had the awful experience. (At least their service department is good). But the last time I was in for service, I waited in the new car lobby. The secretary was on the phone yelling to someone about divorce papers. The old man sales guy was in his office sitting in his chair doing nothing. Another one was sitting on the couch next to me drinking coffee and laughing at the show on the television. I never saw the sales manager. I was there for almost an hour and they didn’t move for the WHOLE HOUR. What a job! I thought they could be researching or reading up on their vehicles or wiping off the dust or taking some for a spin to get better familiar with, but no. And they will be selling the Genesis? LOL
  • Options
    You know, my mom told me once that you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar.

Now, I don't know if those of you not from the south are familiar with that old addage, but I'm sure it's pretty easy to figure out!!

By the way, thanks for the compliments. Be certain though, there are some people that have bought at my store that think I'm the devil I'm sure. I do have a certain limit for people just saying crazy stuff or talking down to me like I'm here for their amusement. I don't have a huge problem with telling someone that feels the need to curse at me or my sales people that we have invested heavily in exit signs for their convenience ;)

It's just really sorry in my mind to promise someone a price and then change it drasticlly when they arrive. I know I would be HOT!! To me, the people that are here are the best type of customer you can ask for. Why? Well, if you have been online and found that a particular model meets your needs then you don't have the 60 minutes of "well, what do you want?", also, when you are here or on KBB, there are MSRP, invoice, and TMV values listed. Print them off and take them with you. You know what you should be paying from the get go. It saves the buyer from trying to figure out if the dealer is crazy and it saves the dealer from the "I want $8000 off on an Elantra". Uh, yeah, I had that two weeks ago.

Point is, most people are smart enough these days to figure out how much a car costs. Heck, most websites have payment claculators. Although the default rates are a little low sometimes. I'm glad to hear that at least one Utah dealer can cut through all the B.S. and just sell the dang car!!! Sounds like you could rack up some referral fees if your friends and neighbors get in the market!!
  • Options
    mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    I went to my Local Hyundai Dealership, Dennis Hyundai, in Columbus to test drive a 2009 Sonata Limited yesterday. I've been dealing through e mails with the Internet Salesman and I spotted a Genesis. He told me he had attended a class for the vehicle and he was very knowledgeable on the Genesis and the Sonata. The Genesis is a drop dead gorgeous vehicle and I hope it does well for Hyundai.

The dealership has really upgraded their Sales Staff. Not to sound like I have anything against any particular nationality, but they went through a period when they had a great deal of Somali Immigrants that were extremely high pressure. I walked away from the place on several different occasions swearing that I will never buy another Hyundai again. I take my current Sonata there for service, so I've talked to the newest group of Salesmen on several occasions and seen a vast improvement in the quality of the sales practices used. I hope that I don't offend anyone with my prior comments, but the truth of the matter is the group I previously mentioned would attempt to pressure you into buying right now. They would continue to follow and pester you as you were walking away and getting in your car to leave. I don't know if that is a trait or just the way management trained them at the time.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • Options
    madokamadoka Member Posts: 10
    Last year, I was shopping for a Honda Ody. I got a emailed quote from a dealer an hour away. Before I made the trip, I contacted the Honda dealer (Norm Reeve Honda) that is four minutes from my house. That dealer told me he had the same Ody in stock and that he would match the price on it. Once I got there, I found that they did not have it and the dealer would not match the price. Then he proceeded to call ME a liar because he claimed the price I was emailed was too low to be true. A week later he called me and I told him that I was driving around my new Honda and at the price he claimed was impossible. [non-permissible content removed].

When shopping for a Honda Pilot, another Honda dealer, Diamond Honda, told me they had the exact color/configuration I wanted. Make the trip over and of course they do not. Once I confronted the salesperson and his manager over their lies, they flat out told me that they will say whatever they need to get me to come over.

Two weeks ago, I bought a $60,000 Lexus. Again, I had an emailed quote for $6500 off MSRP. I get there and the dealer claims that they have "never discounted a single penny off the MSRP" on the car I wanted.

The one constant I've learned from my dealings with car dealers is that many of them have no problem going from lie to lie.
  • Options
    coug3coug3 Member Posts: 6
    "My local dealer said, Hyundai wants to make sure there are enough units at each dealer by September-when they'll start ad campaign everywhere. That's why it's at the dealer now, yet it's not widely advertised. More units will be allocated little by little until Sept. so when customers stop by after they saw the ad on tv they won't have problem with supply."

This seems right in line with what we are seeing. I have spoken with several dealers in my area here on the East Coast. Only two of them have received vehicles (both within the last 5 days), and the others are expecting theirs sometime between this weekend and 2 weeks from now. In all cases they are only getting one or two vehicles, and none have the Technology package. Think about it. There is still not a brochure available, many dealers have nothing on their websites about Genesis, Even on Hyundai's own website, under "Build a Hyundai", there is no Genesis. You can't build a Genesis, you can't see what colors are available, etc. Although you can buy a vehicle now if you get one of the onesie, twosies that are arriving at the dealers, the Genesis really isn't officially for sale yet. The only thing they have officially said is that it would be available this summer, which it is in small numbers and small selection. Mass advertising and sales beginning September seems right in line with all this. This is bad news for me, as I really think I want one of these vehicles with Technology package, but I can't wait for another month or two to buy something. Too bad.....
  • Options
    bchengbcheng Member Posts: 5
    I'm the OP regarding the bad sales experience and appreciate everyone's comments, especially jeffreid on the dealership in general and allmet33, who's been to that dealership before.

It's certainly understandable that I've encountered the wrong sales person for the test drive, but I also think that a sales manager should never have let this sort of thing happen - poor general sales training and resource allocation. I did call ahead that same day to ask availability (they had two, one is out in the lot) and they told me to just walk in for the test drive. Basically, I've done nothing to be treated like a third-class citizen, and I'm simply dissappointed and feel sorry for such a dealership in this economy. 'nuff said.

I am still looking forward to a future test drive at another dealership when the tech. package arrives. I'm the type of serious buyer that knows what I want, did my homework, and don't need to be persuaded into buying. So hopefully I just get treated like a customer and erase previous bad experience with Hyundai dealership.
  • Options
    dean3927dean3927 Member Posts: 80
  • Options
    lucky4me2lucky4me2 Member Posts: 15
    One of the things that bothered me a bit (and it may be a nit) was the impression that the hinged closures made when operated - be it the trunk, doors or hood. Especially the trunk lid - seemed light, flimsy and rattled a bit when closed. Just didn't have that quality sound and feel to it. Doors didn't have that reassuring, quiet "thunk" to them when shut. Anyone else pick up on this?
  • Options
    madokamadoka Member Posts: 10
    Interesting that they say that autoblog claims no practical reason to buy the V8 over the V6 version. I concluded the opposite. There is only a $2000 difference between comparably equiped V6 ($40,000) and V8 ($42,000) cars, so I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to pay the extra $2000 to get the V8.
  • Options
    akumaakuma Member Posts: 70
    basically $2,000 will get you better leather ("ultra premium") , better brakes (4-piston), better steering (electro-hydraulic instead of just hydraulic), a better transmission (ZF instead of Aisin), illuminated scuff plates and chrome moldings (i'm not sure if this is available on the V6), and 85 more horsepower. sounds like a bargain. yet strangely, the V8 isn't that much quicker; certainly not like the difference between the BMW 335i and 328i or 135i and 128i which have only a 70 horsepower difference (between turbocharged and regular engines) but almost a 1.5 second difference from 0-60 (sub 5 second times compared to low 6s even when equipped with automatics).
  • Options
    Top of the line entry, trying to get market share and one can not even get the color chart on the Hyundai site!!

Hyundai, be up front with all interested and all selling the Genesis, we can all handle the reality.

If the front end appears broken what could the back end be especially when we that frequent this site know more than the Hyundai sales teams in general!!

I must say, that Hyundai has much to learn about product launch especially for their premier product introduction with so much invested.

Wonder if anyone from Hyundi looks at this site, it would sure be informative for them and their dealer sales teams to view what us buyers are saying.

The Genesis may be good, but is it that good to wait so long and be provided questionable data especially at $42K

Time will tell and a short time for me it will be

At the beginning a very sincere buyer, now I question my interest
  • Options
    kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    Last week I received several e-mails from a local Hyundai dealer saying that tomorrow they would have new Genesi in for driving and sale. I dropped by the dealer the next day and no Genesi to be seen. I responded to the e-mail and got something back about how it's important to find out what stage I'm in the buying process with no answer to the complaint about the date of release.

I'm used to upscale dealers and service. The Genesis will be an utter failure if Hyundai treats their prospects like carnival marks who shop for a car under P.T. Barnum's big top. I'll be looking at another DTS, the MKS, LS, and E350 along with the Genesis. I have no time for sales antics such as I've read here. On second thought, maybe the whole notion of an upscale Hyundai is an oxymoron.

Somebody in upper level mgt. needs to train the dealers to handle upscale customers before the dealers shoot themselves in the foot and the whole Genesis program crashes and burns.
  • Options
    totally agree, you must be ready to launch and that does not only mean the hard product here and there but means the sales and support teams representing the product must be trained properly and ready to go.

Thus far my impressions are that Hyundai has made a very big tactical error with this pre launch.

No tech package, some colors not available but not known, limited availability, V8 available when? Dealers confused, sales reps confused and most importantly the buying public sees a minor league Hyundai launch not a Major League BMW, Lexus or even Infiniti

Would sure be nice if a Senior Executive at Hyundai would respond at this site.

Doubtful, as they stay in their ivory towers and look down on us all....

Oh well, it is what it is Hyundai, we have choices, do you !!!