Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Car Commercials, the good, the bad, and the annoying!

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,179

Another odd Lexus spot - the one with "Batteries Not Included" style little alien spaceship drone things buzzing around. A brief shot of an spindle-grilled SUV, also kind of alien. Nothing really to do with cars at all.

• Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019

Subaru ad where the dogs are driving the car, the male checks out a poodle and the female growls is kinda cute.

2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

"Automotive manufacturers will be back in the Super Bowl this year in full force with at least nine automotive brands aiming to capture the attention of millions of viewers.

Most automakers have already started to flood YouTube, Twitter and other social media outlets with teaser ads that are part of broader campaigns to draw attention to their brands."

Automakers roar back into the Super Bowl (Detroit Free Press)

• Options
    edited January 2014

Live and love. No dogs in this Subaru ad.

The ad (YouTube)

The accompanying website.

• Options
    rick033050rick033050 Member Posts: 3

I find myself muting the TV every time the Ford Escape commercial comes on featuring the couple with the creaky voiced wife. The woman's voice and mannerisms are just plain annoying.

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805

I've seen the Super Bowl Audi A3 "Doberhuahua" ad twice. Not good IMHO

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,563

@robr2 said:
    I've seen the Super Bowl Audi A3 "Doberhuahua" ad twice. Not good IMHO

Just saw that. it was strange, to say the lease. And slightly disturbing.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

So no comments on the Super Bowl commercials?

My favorite was the Maserati Ghibli with VW in second and GM/Chevy trucks 3rd.

• Options
    edited February 2014

No love for Dylan's Chrysler ad? (Anchorage Daily News)

• Options

I liked the existence of ads for a 60K Kia and a (roughly) 60K Maserati in the same venue. Decisions decisions.

As someone born in the late 70s and recalls the 80s vividly, I liked this

None of the car commercials really got to me. The odd Scientology ad seen in my area sticks with me as much as any.

• Options

None of the car commercials really got to me.

Not even in a bad way - the Audi one disturbed me.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367

@rick033050 said:
    I find myself muting the TV every time the Ford Escape commercial comes on featuring the couple with the creaky voiced wife. The woman's voice and mannerisms are just plain annoying.

I suppose the strategy must work, but it seems that the primary theme of most every Ford and Toyota ad is: "Our customers are complete morons- why not join them?"

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

There is a certain comfort is not being any more measurably stupid then the next guy :)

I don't like that "We Lived" Subaru commercial. It has unsettling implications--as if your car makes you immortal, and nobody ever died in a Subaru---yeah, right.

• Options

Audi was weird, yeah. Oh, I LOATHE the Rogue commercial, but it actually debuted before the game. It's such an irksome clueless ad, which from my experience aims at the target market. And I have named the new Nissan grille "bucktooth".

@robr2 said:
    Not even in a bad way - the Audi one disturbed me.

• Options

The Ford "President's Day Event" spots grate on my nerves.

• Options

Lexus has a new series of ads out for it's line of SUVs/CUVs with eye-hurting front ends. One makes an RX seem "active", one shows a GX towing a little airstream trailer (really! I laughed), the other an LX with more active spontaneous exciting stuff that so defines the buyer of a 100K tank. And then an ad for the whole line, which touts "confidence" and all weather ability, implying AWD is a cure-all with no driver ability needed. Do we need bone-idle Bellevue wives to be overconfident in bad weather?

• Options
  • Options
    edited February 2014

I like it. It's kind of a "Murrica based ad.

• Options
    edited February 2014

I did like the subtle possible dig at China re: the moon. But the rest is a bit of a joke, Mr. Multi Million Dollar home bragging about some kind of hard work = success dream, where in reality the US involuntarily trails much of the developed world in quality of life factors like vacation and leave, and the people who claim to work hard and buy such cars and houses so often get such goods via working no harder than studying where they can outsource or send jobs offshore.

Or maybe the ad is just kind of a parody of douchey false machismo, but I doubt it.

It also reminds me of this horrible one

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    edited February 2014

At least the ELR ad is not waving the US flag in the background trying to invoke the idea that it's an American car company.

It appears parts of the ad are very specifically targeted toward certain characteristics. It would be interesting to see the survey test groups.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options

No visible flag, but there seems to be a verbal flag, and some of the words aren't really things the US should brag about.

No doubt is is aiming at unashamedly brash higher end BMW types.

• Options

Yes but advertising is built upon dreams, not reality. Nobody wants to get a dose of reality when buying luxury goods. Cadillac wants you to think it's 1955 in America. Cadillac would LOVE for it to be 1955 in America. Can't say as I blame them for weaving dreams in an ad.

• Options
    edited February 2014

Would the anti-ELR people react the same if the vehicle in the driveway were from one of the popular "luxury" makers such as Mercedes? VW's Audi? Toyota's Lexus segment?

What should Cadillac do to present the ELR to its potential buyers?

• Options

Who is anti-ELR? I must have missed that post. It's the ad, not the car.

If others presented that dbaggy and somewhat ironic swagger (from my experience, those with showy 7 figure houses aren't the ones to forego the time off benefits that much of the real first world enjoys), they'd be open for ridicule, too. Judging by comments on another forum and on the video, distaste for the ad isn't uncommon.

ELR is meant to be a very low volume "just because" kind of car - I don't know how much advertising it should receive at all. Electric buyers will go Tesla, Caddy buyers will get more enjoyment from a CTS-V for the same money. CTS and ATS need to receive the ad attention.

And speaking of bad ads, I find this atrocious - annoying music, and the typical Rogue demographic probably thinks this is real

• Options
    tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,243

@fintail said:
    Who is anti-ELR? I must have missed that post. It's the ad, not the car.

If others presented that dbaggy and somewhat ironic swagger (from my experience, those with showy 7 figure houses aren't the ones to forego the time off benefits that much of the real first world enjoys), they'd be open for ridicule, too. Judging by comments on another forum and on the video, distaste for the ad isn't uncommon.

ELR is meant to be a very low volume "just because" kind of car - I don't know how much advertising it should receive at all. Electric buyers will go Tesla, Caddy buyers will get more enjoyment from a CTS-V for the same money. CTS and ATS need to receive the ad attention.

And speaking of bad ads, I find this atrocious - annoying music, and the typical Rogue demographic probably thinks this is real

I personally like the Rogue ad. Says a lot that the disclaimers are required!

• Options

@fintail said:

Who is anti-ELR? I must have missed that post.

Someone posted that it was just a jazzed up Volt, paraphrased here.

I rarely see someone deciding certain other cars are just variations on a pedantic model in their low line, e.g., toyota and lexus, or VW and Audi, usw.

It's the ad, not the car.

So I fixated on the minor part, I'm being told. I've been noticing ads for various premiium cars since this one hit the topic here. I see a Jaguar with helicopters in the ad on a cable channel I watch. Seems overdone.

• Options

It is a jazzed up Volt though, right? Or maybe to be fair, an amped up Volt? :) Heck, a MB E-class equipped how it is here is just a fancy German taxi. CLA is an A-class econohatch with a trunk. CLS is an E with a racy body and a 50% markup. It can work for many cars.

I think Jag and Maserati will go for flamboyant ads, they are looking to attract for attention as they play an underdog role in the market. Ads for the big 3 Germans are usually pretty subtle.

@imidazol97 said:

• Options
    edited February 2014

I think the point being made was that the ELR was not new technology. It IS a Volt underneath in terms of tech. If it was Tesla-tech or Hydrogen tech, that would be a big deal. So the ad is boasting about "innovation" (and I like the Volt myself) but it's yesterday's innovation. What's the real problem with the ELR? It doesn't know who its buyer is. And neither do I. It sure isn't that "guy" in the ad.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098

I don't know if Nissan has ever produced even a halfway-decent ad over the last few years. Always just terribly done.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited February 2014

"It sure isn't that "guy" in the ad."

Exactly. He has an M6 or an Aston Martin or something. Inherited a family business or slithered his way up the FIRE industry ladder, and now acts like he built Rome singlehandedly in an hour.

It's probably good the Nissan spot has disclaimers.

• Options

I always find it amusing that commercials show a "hard working" man by depicting him with a loosened tie.

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

Annoying car ads? - Dodge/Chrysler ads that dont talk about the attributes of the vehicle in any way.

Instead, they have goofy music in the background and talk about how you FEEL or are PERCEIVED while driving one of their offerings. They talk about who builds the car and where it is built. They show you gadgets in the car that have little bearing on long-term ownership and satisfaction.

Personally, I dont give a patutie about what other people think about what I drive. I select a vehicle that meets MY needs.... not the needs of others. My needs need to be satisfied for up to 10 years of ownership.

• Options

The Audi spot that compares a lacrosse mommy's A4 to UR-Quattros is airing again, ugh.

• Options

At least Jeep commercials stopped Cherokees fording streams at 50 mph after customers hydro-locked their engines trying to play "safari". You can only take this "heritage" thingie so far.

• Options
    edited February 2014

Saw the Caddy dbag ad last night - late, so maybe the ad hasn't taken off.

• Options
    bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085

@MrShift@Edmunds said:
    At least Jeep commercials stopped Cherokees fording streams at 50 mph after customers hydro-locked their engines trying to play "safari". You can only take this "heritage" thingie so far.

You may not recall that, back in the '60s, some muscle-car commercials advertized how fast their cars could do the 1/4 mile. When buyers would break their cars while driving in this mannor.... the automakers had to cover the warantee because that is how their vehicles were advertized. Not long after that, they stopped this kind of advertizing.

• Options

that's probably the same reason toy companies stopped showing kids flying in their new plastic superman capes.

• Options

NO way. TV Commercials are about fantasies, not reality. There is NEVER traffic on the road in your convertible, your family is young and beautiful, your grandpa is 82 and playing tennis, your kids never melt down and get ugly, and personnel at the dealership are downright saintly.

• Options

It would be fun to see a guy idling in a Miata as the camera zooms out to see him stuck in traffic between two big belching semis.

• Options

Or a kid strapped into a baby seat screeching at the top of his lungs while throwing a half-eaten banana at the rear DVD screen......

• Options

There's a dumb Camry ad (redundant, I know) where some racing driver mentions how his Camry got him 8 victories, or something to that effect. Sorry, a Camry on the showroom floor has about as much in common with a racing car than my fintail has with an 80s Sauber Mercedes C9.

• Options

Toyota still thinks that they can make a Camry seem exciting- which is about as daunting a task as making Nancy Pelosi appear sexy...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

yeah but nancy isn't posing as sexy, so she doesn't have an identity crisis like the Camry seems to be having. If I were the ad writer, I'd emphasis reliability.

• Options
    edited March 2014

Can't win races if you break down though. I don't much buy the relationship between manufacturer sponsorship and daily drivers, but you see those kinds of ads pretty often.

"Start to the GT race season proves reliability and race-winning potential of the new 2013 Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3"

"GT86 proves its reliability in 24-hour race"

"Mazda Proves Reliability of MX-5 in 24 Hour Endurance Race"

They aren't Camrys but the brands are mainstream.

• Options

Apples to oranges. No Camrys are actually being raced, the Camry NASCAR has zero real car components. There are racing cars with large amount of stock components based on cars like those others mentioned.

• Options

Racing is "accelerated destruction", so I agree, apples to oranges. A race car only has to survive as long as 1 second past the finish line.

• Options

I do like the Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge; the ST cars in particular are not far removed from the street versions. I am impressed that the 128i and the Mazdaspeed 3 and Miatas are successful in the series.

• Options
    edited March 2014

@fintail said:
    Apples to oranges. No Camrys are actually being raced, the Camry NASCAR has zero real car components.

And which would you choose?

Fan Picks 2014 Camry Over Allmendinger's No. 47 (nascar.com)

I think the winner made the right choice. B)

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342

The commercials I'm sick of are the ones where the tree branch falls on that car, then the driver's door gets torn off and a car gets smashed between two trucks.

Or the ones where the old lady complains about her son's noisy motorcycle while her husband sits and eats. They must show that one once every half hour.

Then there are the endless Geico commercials with the green lizard.