Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Honda Civic

Comments

• sywsyw Posts: 1
    Is it ok to tell which dealer did you buy from?
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Is the leather a pretty decent grade? The leather in the '05 Mazda 3s was really subpar so we opted for the cloth. Really liked the Honda leather in the new CR-V I saw in the showroom a few weeks back...very soft and buttery feeling.

The Sandman :)
  • I'm no leather expert, but I think it is good quality and pretty soft. One thing of note, the heated seat for the driver heats the bottom and back, while the passenger only heats the bottom. There was an explanation for why, but I can't remember what the manual said. The dealer was Norris Honda in Dundalk, MD, via the internet/UBS (United Buying Service) pricing. I had two other dealers quote $500 over invoice, which was still pretty good. Since purchasing, I have tinted the windows at 35%, purchased a Garmin 350 GPS, and installed a portable Sirius Radio. I'm happy with the results. I have a couple of minor gripes, the worst of which is the stock stereo for an upgraded model like the EX-L, but I don't think it is worth the cost to improve it.
  • I would like to respond to the notion that I have a lemon in our 2006 Civic. All the problems I have experienced except one, and maybe even that one, have been noted by many participants in this and other Civic forums. This means that I am not the only one who is complaining that Honda quality "ain't what it used to be". Honda has issued service bulletins for all the problems I have and some that I am glad that I don't have. There is a very long list of service bulletins for the 2006/07 Civics. In addition some 2007 owners are also complaining about the same things so the "first year of a new model" explanation doesn't seem to cut it.
    You got it..I am not recommending the car because of well...lets call it un-Honda like build quality.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,909
    So hopefully that leather didn't leave greasy stains on your pants. ;)
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    since i bought my civic at the same time you did (and no several other people who did as well, in person, not on a forum) thats why i conclude this. if it was such a widespread issue, the car would not sell, it would not get the ratings it does.
  • kenlwkenlw Posts: 190
    1) it doesn't hold up as well as cloth
    2) it is hot in the summer sun
    3) you have to "condition" it constantly
    4) it isn't really solid leather anyway (it's "bonded" aka pieces-parts, glued to cloth backing).
  • Once again...Honda issued OFFICIAL service bulletins to correct many of my (and others) relatively minor but irritating issues. That would indicate, it seems, Honda thinks these issues are widespread enough to issue service bulletins. I know they are (widespread) when a large group of build (serial) numbers are involved..and they are. Please do not conclude because your car does not have a particular problem, and neither does John Smith's down the block that nobody else does. Do you even know which Service Bulletins address what problems? I have a (now outdated) list of about 8 or 9 if you want some hard proof. Additionally there are three (3) recalls that affect various 2006/07 Civics. Two of those are as follows:
    1. #07V402000 This one affects the brake light switch which in turn affects the ability to remove the car from park. I can provide more if you want.
    2. #07V399000 This one is a rear wheel bearing/speed sensor problem and seems a "little" more serious in that a rear wheel has the potential to fall off. Think of the possibilities of that one when you start talking about the popularity and good ratings. Good ratings mean nothing when you are attending a funeral or in the hospital due to an accident.
    3. This recall was issued about a week after I bought my car in the fall of 2005. I do not remember the # but it indicated the gas pedal may not have been attached to the floor causing a possible inability to regulate vehicle speed and causing a loss of control.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    This is about the 08 Civic, not previous ones. You really need to look at the topic before you post. :)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,909
    And don't forget cold in the winter, if there's no seat heaters.

I favor cloth myself. Leather looks nice and smells good, and it minimizes static electricity. But I'll take a nice cloth interior any day. That said, my personal car has leather, but only because it came standard on a car I got for reasons other than a leather interior.

Still, lots of folks like leather and now they can get it on the Civic, so no need to uplift to an Accord if you like Honda and leather and want a small car.
  • And don't forget cold in the winter, if there's no seat heaters.

The civic EX-L includes heated seats.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    ...and contrary to many OWTs, leather interiors last a very long time. I've never had a car that didn't still have leather in good condition after ten years and well over 100,000 miles. That and I NEVER treat my leather seats, ever.

As for having heat, blah, we live in New Hampshire and every time I get in Mrs. Shipo's car in the winter time I get maybe a quarter of a mile from our house before I'm scrambling to turn the damn heaters off on her leather seats.

If a Civic finds its way into my garage, it will be an EX-L 5-Speed non-NAV for sure. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kenlwkenlw Posts: 190
    ...you live where there is no sun.....well, ok, it appears you do.... ;)
    "no leather unless you live where there is no sun"

LOL! ;-)

Funny thing though, NPR did a bit on motorcycle ownership a couple of years back, a program that I found fascinating. Do you know which U.S. state has the highest per-capita motorcycle ownership? New Hampshire. Go figure.

According to a number of the interviewees, New Hampshire has a higher number of "Perfect motorcycle riding days" than any other state. Hmmm, we've been living here for five years now and I think statements like that have been subject to a very loose poetic license, however, I really do like the weather up here. Today for instance, there's not a cloud in the sky and we're heading for a high of about 75 degrees. Can you say "Perfect"? Sure, I knew you could. ;-)

FWIW, I owned cars with leather interiors when I lived in SoCal and Hotlanta and still prefer leather to the various alternatives out there.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    To the person who's been compalining about all his issues with his Civic, dump it already if it's so bad. There was also a guy in the Mazda3 forum who constantly droned on about all his "issues", that it began to take over the various forums that dealt with the 3. Got really old. I know I finally just scrolled past all that negativity and I'm sure others did to. Sometimes it's just better to cut and run, get something you'd really like better.
    I'm hoping that with the new '09 Civic, all these "issues" will be dealt with and resolved. I'm sure Honda Corp. hates these things as much as their buyers do, afterall their in the business of making quality cars. Maybe all these TSB's & that recall will make them ramp up their quality control to previous levels of years past. They've already shown that this quality standard is attainable by them.
    I think 2009 will be that we'll see marked improvement in Honda quality across the board. For survival...they'll have no choice. The competition is just that good, and getting better. Just sitting in that leather lined Hyundai earlier today proved this point to me. Many folks will jump at the chance to get a car as nice as the top of the line Accord for Sonata prices. And adding in the great Hyundai warranty and free roadside assistance for no extra charge, it's really a no brainer!

The Sandman :)
  • I guess that would be me droning on :) I just get so tired of all the kneejerk mindless talk of Honda goodness that I have to relive my problems time and again as a counter balance. Perspective buyers of Honda need to know that their ownership might NOT be the wonderful experience they are expecting and I'm just the guy to tell them. If you are a happy Honda owner be my guest and skip all my posts they will only upset you.
    Posts that aren't of interest should be skipped.

In any case, this is about the 08 Civic so let's try to keep to that topic and take other subjects to more appropriate discussions.
  • today i got 2008 civic LX for $17500 on ROAD (including everything). i cloud only bargain this much :sick: . sales guys kept saying they can't go below $18500... :mad: I'm still not happy :( because i paid almost same as MSRP. i don't feel i got it for good price. i want to know what you guys think. thank you.
  • I'm still not happy because i paid almost same as MSRP. i don't feel i got it for good price.

Then why, if I may ask, did you buy the thing? If I felt the car wasn't worth what they were asking, I certainly wouldn't fork over my money to them.

As far as how good the price is out the door, that would really depend on your taxes and trade-in, if any. Is it a manual transmission or an automatic? Sedan, or coupe? It's hard to say whether or not the deal is good without a breakdown of cost, and what model it is.

The invoice on a Civic LX Auto Sedan in my area for 2007 is $16,349. It sounds like the price of the car was pretty close to that if you have taxes like I do (8%). Assuming an invoice of $16,400:

$16,400 + $1,312 = $17,712. Paying invoice for a 2008 Civic would be a good deal in my opinion. It's hard to say without solid info though. If you'll share more about your deal, I bet more people would help you on the Prices Paid forum.
  • 2008 civic LX sedan automatic, no trade ins
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    d34m0n,
    You need to provide more details, or we don't have enough info to help you.

When you say you paid almost MSRP......I assume that means that whatever the MSRP is for the vehicle (what was it?), they then discounted it and sold it to you for XX,XXX (what was it?) The invoice for your model with the options on it was YY,YYY (what is it?). And then they added tax for the city/county/state you are in which is Z,ZZZ (what is it?), and tag/title which is QQQ (what is it?), and also added a dealers documentation fee PPP (what is it?).

So if you paid almost MSRP (if this is what you mean), all of the stuff that got added back on to the discounted price, brought the purchase price back up to almost MSRP.

So what are the details?
  • How much did you pay in taxes? Were there add-ons (spoiler, mudguards, extended warranty)? Document fees?
  • I was at the dealership today and saw a Civic with leather. It was a coupe with black leather and it looked sweet! In my opinion, it makes the car look a lot better than the cloth. They did a very good job on the interior. The center console and the steering wheel are also in leather.
    Thanks for the report. ;-) Did you perchance take a look at the arm rests? I hear that the plastic used on the non-leather models is highly subject to scuffing and discoloration.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I've had my 08 EX-L for a couple of weeks, and I would agree that the plastic will scuff easily. I already have one scuff mark. I think that is typical of a lot of cars these days. I know my Nissan Titan truck really scuffs up easily.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    :confuse: i know what forum i'm posting in, i was replying to him, as SEVERAL others have, not just me. :sick:
    The reason I said that was because at that point in reading my tracked discussions I had followed a whole string of your posts that were, um, not quite observant of the topic - sorry, didn't mean to call you out, was just poking at you. Peace? :)
  • Did you perchance take a look at the arm rests? I hear that the plastic used on the non-leather models is highly subject to scuffing and discoloration.

You mean the arm rests on the doors? Where exactly is the scuffing likely to occur. On the vehicles with cloth interiors there's cloth on the door arm rests on the area where the elbow touches. On the vehicles with leather interior that has been replaced with leather.

Does that answer your question?
    Exactly. Thanks. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I have a 2004 BMW 325 with leather seats and have never had any problem with them. I just had them professionally cleaned for the first time in 53K miles - for $50 - big deal. They look like new, and they didn't look too bad before I had them worked on, just some normal dirt marks. They don't wear from your butt rubbing against them, and don't stain from pets' dirty feet and kids dropping and spilling things. They are not high maintenance at all.
This discussion has been closed.