Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• msealsmseals Member Posts: 257
    thanks for the input. It is real world and you don't seem as bias as some(read: your heart isn't it it). I have taken this into consideration, I had a 98 Cherokee Sport and a 99 Grand Cherokee before I got my 00 Civic Si so I know about low MPG. Even then though, I got 17 with the CS and 19 with the GC even though they had the same engine. The cuase of the difference between the two was the gearing. The CS was geared to have tons of pull causing it to run out fo gas at normal highway speeds. While the GC was geared to be smooth and so at highway speeds rpms were literally about 1000 rpms less. My Si is a totally different beast, at 80 mph I am running at 4500 rpms, but at a little 1.6L engine, it is still miserly on gas.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    quote mdgrrl-Now the TDI, maybe, but then you have to weigh out the fact that it's diesel powered, which would make any environmentalist cringe.-end
    Diesel is not an environmental problem but an environmental solution.
    As far as emissions the TDI produces less of three of five of the main emissions produced by gas or diesel engines. Carbon Dioxide (CO2), Carbon Monoxide (CO), Nitrogen Oxides (NOx)Hydrocarbons, and Particulates. TDI produces less Co2, less Hydrocarbons, less Co, about the same NOx, and more particulates. The TDI and other diesels are considered green in Europe because they produce less CO2 than gasoline engines and CO2 is the major contributor to global warming. And the diesel uses 30% less fuel.
    Still think it is an environmental problem?
    TDI is emissions certified in all 50 states. TDI can use biodiesel which is a renewable fuel. When using 100 biodiesel the emissions of TDI are cleaner in all five of the major emissions compared to a gasoline engine.

An environmentalist would be doing a service to the environment to drive a TDI.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    ...of course that is if you believe in "global warming", and if so, that you might think autos contribut to that type of thing...
  • galogvigalogvi Member Posts: 41
    Silicone spray will solve your squeaks!
  • thomasibaileythomasibailey Member Posts: 21
    How about all using the same gas calculation rules? 1.fill tank; 2.Reset trip odometer; 3.Drive; 4.Refill tank; 5.Divide miles driven the gallons you put in at the 2nd fill-up; 5.This equals your MPG!
    Remember that driving at 65 lowers the mileage 15%.
    The Gov.EPA calculates highway at 55.
    I keep my tires inflated at 38 lbs.
    I have a 2002 1.8T with an auto/triptonic.
  • galogvigalogvi Member Posts: 41
    Same configuration as your car - Average 24-25mpg mixed highway/local driving. Using 91 octane.
    I'm getting between 27-33 with mostly freeway/65-70 mph driving. I tried 91 and found better "kick", but didn't want to pay the $. The dealer said to go with the 89. I have found the HP to be fine on a good grade of 89. We have to watch who we buy from in NE Ohio,USA. Another big factor I've paid close attention to is the inflation of my tires. I like the Autocross settings best really feel the car "rolls" nice(not corner roll, but straight ahead roll). So that's a pressure of 40-45 in my Michelins.
    Wow, that tire pressure seems to be a bit high. I am not up on the specs for the tires, but I know my tires are rated at about 33-36 PSI. 40-45 seems like it would be more in the range of SUV tires.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    I thought the famous problem with the Monsoon was with the wiring leads being switched.

Here's different TSB on the radio.
    TSB Number: 9102-01
    Date: JAN 02
    Topic: Premium VI Radio - Controls Do Not Respond

That's all I can get from alldata.com, unless someone else here is a member.
    To support Moparbad....(biodiesel is somewhat derived from food)....

Let me ask a quick question:

Why don't we see more gasoline-engined tractor trailers these days?
    38 PSI???????????

Your car must ride like a tank.

Why would you ever do that?

What is the recommended pressure for your year? Why do you not do that?
    You just said 38 PSI, now it is 40-45?

What is this, an F150?

What the heck are you doing?
    not to rag on anyone, but inflating a car tire to 40-45 will probably cause the tire to wear more in the middle of the tire. Like I said before, that is an aweful lot of air in the tire and that is an awefully high pressure. Those are more along the lines of Pickups and SUV's. They reason they can take that much is because there is so much distance between the road and the wheel. That is a lot of open space and rubber to protect your rims, your suspension and your backside. With tire pressure that high, you would almost be able to coast everywhere you go. I would be like riding on beachballs and your could would be seriously bouncy.
  • omega8omega8 Member Posts: 19
    After resetting error codes at non-VW repair shop, I still failed OBD readiness on emission test. How can you reset the OBD readiness without going to the dealer? Should the repair shop be able to reset?
  • frogoliofrogolio Member Posts: 8
    The regulator, I'm told by the dealership, gave out or otherwise broke on my driver's side window. As a result, the window fell into the door and was useless until the part was replaced for a little over $300.00 (parts and labor).
    The dealership admits this is a common problem, but I've heard of no recalls or anything of the like. No warranty either.
    Has anyone had any experience with this? Do I need to start saving up for the other three regulators? What's the best way to let VW know of "my" little problem?
    Thanks
  • edhkmco84edhkmco84 Member Posts: 3
    We all have talked about this before but I need your input. After 100 miles on my 2002 Jetta my radio just died and wouldnt turn on. Brought it to the dealer and they put a new one in...but now it doesnt say MONSOON on it. Does any one else have this problem??? Any suggestions???

Thanks
  • penhopperpenhopper Member Posts: 2
    The part availability and excessive cost from the dealer is shameful. You cannot get parts from the average auto parts store. The dealer has a monopoly on these products. It is never a problem while you are under the 24 thousand miles or first two years. Just wait until you don't live near a dealer and need an oil filter or a battery. Owning my Jetta has been a total pain. Breakdowns, repairs, car rentals. Even hotel rentals due to out of town breakdowns and no dealer around and no parts available. I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone. If you just have to have one get rid of it at 24 thousand miles. That bumper to bumper warranty runs out early for a reason.
    Oil filter, air filter and etc. are available at average autoparts store, unless you consider Autozone or Pep Boys very unusual. Battery is available even at WalMart. Warranty is now 5 years 50K miles b2b. What year and model car did you have? Was it a 1999? If you really want to experience high parts prices try Honda. I used to have an Accord and it the parts prices were extremely high.
  • silverhlltdsilverhlltd Member Posts: 21
    My dealer has located a new GLS TDI automatic wagon that has leather but no S/R and no Monsoon radio.

I'm wondering if that wouldn't be the way to go with all the talk of people having radio problems with the Monsoon package?

Greg, you've got two vehicles. Maybe one of each radios?

Just exactly what are the differences between the standard radio and the Monsoon system? I know they both have eight speakers. Is it just the amp. and better speakers, or is the 'head' different?

Thanks in advance.
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    go to my post #1764... there are a few posts before and after #1764 discussing my monsoon experience.... sounds like yours exactly. radio still working and don't plan to have dealer mess with it anymore.
  • dancermandancerman Member Posts: 220
    that's what the first unit i had did.... no control of volume, fade or balance.... and sounded awful. then it died 2 weeks later.
    is it's wired wrong.
    Neither my Jetta or Golf have Monsoon. Monsoon is different head, amp, and possibly better speakers. It sounds better, but not worth the extra money in my opinion. I find that the stock system is better than average and adequate for my needs. Listen to the system in a Monsoon equipped car at the dealership and a non Monsoon car and make your choice. GLS TDI Wagon with leather and w/o luxury package is a rare car indeed.
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    i prefer std. over monsoon
    I'm using Mich.XSE 195/65 tires.
    Right now the 2002 Jetta 1.8T\automatic is in my garage cold at 40lbs. per sq. inch per tire.
    Higher pressures are prefered for things like autocross. You get a very quick response from the front end especially.
    No, my car doesn't ride like a tank.
    I guess you have to try it for yourself and see.
    I feel the contact patch is roughly the same as if my tires were at the recommended 32-41(max load range).Yes I do change the tire pressure depending upon the weather.In winter I'll keep it at 32-38 for traction then go to a higher pressure in the summer 38-41/45(rears).My theory is I'd rather save gasoline than my tread/tires.
    The Michelins are surprisingly sticky so I don't seem to get any skittering around tank/truck handling.
    What size tires? Just curious, because I thought that anything over the upper 30's was kind of high for tire pressure.
    he's got the Michelin Energy MXV4 (which are in the Radial XSE class of Michelin tires).

The reason why you inflate the tires to max pressure at the autocross, isn't for the contact patch (it reduces it), it's more for the sidewalls. Having the higher pressure reduces the deflection in the sidewalls, giving you that faster response tackling the cones.
    Ok with tires that big I can understand. I had 195/55/15 VR's and I changed to 205/50/15 VR's because the first was very uncommon. The traction and feel is much better plus the tires are much quieter due to them being softer. I have my tire pressure at around 33 for the front and 36 in the back. I raise it up about 3-5 PSI for autocrossing.
    here are two answers I got from a couple of "performance" type vendors:

I.
    Sorry to hear of your trouble. This is rather rare, but it does happen. The bushings for the rear axle beam are pretty beefy, but it's possible that they were not fully aligned from the facory, or the car has seen unusual stress to the rear end (towing,excessive loads in trunk, ......).
    In answer to your questions of do I have the parts, tools, or instructions; No. These would be a dealer specific item. I wish I could be
    of more help to you.
    As far as other recommendations, please reply with your street address, and I will get one of our catalogs sent to you at no charge.

II.
    hello, the axle beam bushings are not hard to replace, the old ones can be pressed out or knocked out with an air chisel, the new ones can be pressed into place with a homemade tool fashioned out of a long bolt or stud several large washers and the rest can be improvised, however I have never seen rear beam bushings go bad even on a car with 300,000 miles but environmental conditions or worn suspension could deteriorate them.
  • blackjetta18t1blackjetta18t1 Member Posts: 278
    why are the front tires inflated less than the rear of the car if the car is front heavy? I have all my tires at about 32-35 psi, all around. I've got 195/65/15 Goodyear Eagle LS.
    On all cars, the front tires need to have the most contact patch because more of the treat is used to turn the car. If you never rotate your tires, the front ones will wear out first and if your air pressure is constant and your alignment is right, it should wear out evenly across the whole treat patter. If you rotate your tires then they should all wear evenly. Mind you, this is for front wheel drive cars, I am a little unclear about rear wheel cars since I haven't had one in years.
    I just ran out to check the fuel door on my Golf

For half load, the tire pressure for all tires should be 26 psi.

Full load, you're correct, with the front tires getting less pressure than the rears. I could only guess when you load up the car full of passengers and/or other stuff, the front rear weight distributor will favor the rear wheels instead of the front.
    Hey guys, all front whee drive cars are front weight biased for obvious reasons. The engine and transmission are both up there in front of the middle of the car. Unless you are some 500 lbs bohemoth, there weight in the car will not come close until you load it up with passengers and gear. Does anyone know the weight distribution ration for a Jetta. My Civic is 60/40 front to rear.
  • mikem118mikem118 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone else having troubles with their VW Jetta wheel bearings? I have had the car, a 2000 VW Jetta GLX, for just barely over 2 years (just in time for my warranty to run out) and I've had 2 bearings go bad. The dealer tells me that this isnt a regular problem they see, but I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one who has had two go out with just 37,000 miles.
  • jjq222jjq222 Member Posts: 2
    There seems to be a major design flaw with the window regulators in the Jetta's. I own a 2000 Jetta and about 3 months ago my front passenger side window fell into the door frame. Then today my driver's side window did the same thing. Each time this happens it costs about $300 bucks. I spoke w/ VW and they are aware of the problem, but insist that they have not had enough complaints to warrant a recall. However, it appears the window is being held in place by these plastic clips that are very fragile and continuously fail. Any VW dealership will tell you this is a common problem. If you have experienced this problem please contact VW customer care at 800-428-4034 and let them know. If enough people call maybe they will recall this piece of crap.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    My 2002 Jetta 1.8T has been plagued with rattles since one week after I bought it. Now, after 7 months of in and out of the shop, VW wants to talk about getting me another car. I have a meeting on Monday morning.

I wanna know if anyone has ever gone through this. If so, how does it work? Help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    Yes a friend of mine had her Kia bought back from her. She took her attorney because she knew that Kia would try their damndest to A) Have her trade her Kia for another Kia or B) Screw her out of her money or C) Claim that this defect COULD be fixed when for some reason, it could not.

Her Kia had 4 oil leaks in a year that started a couple of weeks after she bought it.

It was best that Michelle took her attorney because they saw that she meant business. She had all of her records, phone conversations, receipts and was well versed on the lemon law in our state (VA). Because it was an oil leak they did buy her car back for what she had paid for (She now has a 2000 Camry- she bought it used and loves it!) but they never admitted that they "product" had a defect or was "bad."

Read the lemon laws for your state. It may not include rattles but something that mechanically keeps the car from running/makes it unsafe/etc. Also many states have a certain mileage and year that the car can not be over, some states its 9 months, others 12 and/or 15,000 miles. Again, each state varies. Also many state lemon laws read that the company must have made a certain number of attempts to repair it.

I hope all works out for you on this... I was considering a Jetta in a year but after reading every one's problems... maybe I'll keep my Honda Civic.

Best of luck,

Carrie
    So, from the dearth of posts, I take it none of you have had problems with your axle beam bushing?
  • klions99klions99 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Jetta VR6 and I am about to trade it in for a Non-VW car. I have had nothing but problems with this car. Sure it drives great. It handles unbelieveably. But German cars and VWs are so over-engineered. The costs to fix are so high. You must use VW parts which are a lot and the dealer gives you little warranty on those parts. The labor to put them in is high. The car is a maintenance hog. It has ot be maintained like no other car you have driven. It constantly has electrical problems. The warranty I got on it was a joke. It was 2yr/24000 miles. Now if that doesn't say anything about what VW thinks of its cars, I dont know what does. Avoid this car. You also have to use premium gas which we know is expensive. Nothing about this car is cheap except its quality.
  • cfilkinscfilkins Member Posts: 39
    Driving the 02 GLS 1.8T into work today, noticed a rather annoying rattle in the front right side of the dashboard. Sound familiar to anyone? Sounds like something metallic given the rather tinny buzzing sound coming from the dash. While I can easily drown it out using the stereo, having a nice quiet drive home is now out of the question.

Do I bother taking it to the dealership (1+ hour drive) or should I just deal with it?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Mine had a rattle in the dash about 4 months ago. I took it to the dealer. The rattle was in the same place as yours, but on the left side, and the same sound as well. It was broken dashboard clips. My car is still NOT fixed right. I have a meeting on Monday with a VWoA rep about (hopefully) buying this car back.

Take what you will from that and decide if you wanna further investigate the noise.
  • cfilkinscfilkins Member Posts: 39
    Got home and asked the finace about it (her car). She pulled her sunglasses out of the pocket in the passenger-side door. Now don't I feel kinda stupid.

Hey, guys, check and see if someone left something in the door pocket...maybe that's the source of your rattles, too :)
    Was that a slip, or on purpose?
  • skylineenvyskylineenvy Member Posts: 5
    I just got a Jetta GL with fairly new brakes and the other day, it just slid across the median and hit another car in the rain as i tried to slow down to make a turn. I was slowing down from 25 miles per hour and ive never lost control in a car before. It leaves me with many questions. After the accident, i realized the back end of the car does wiggle a lot when i brake and the stopping power has been greatly reduced. Ive seen messages on problems with 2000 Jettas, does this problem go all the way back to the Jetta 3???
    Welcome to the world of solid beam axles. This trait is common in situations like this for a car with a solid beam axle. The thing you have to ask is, why didn't ABS come on, this would greatlly reduce this problem if it happened in a skid in the rain.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    If the car was hydroplaning, I don't think ABS would have activated.
  • skylineenvyskylineenvy Member Posts: 5
    The car is a bottom-of-the-line/manual-everything GL, the cheapest Jetta you can buy. I dont think it has ABS...I thought hydroplaning occured at high speeds only...the phenomenon occured again when i hit brakes suddenly and the car almost slid again...this time in dry sunny weather on my way to the body shop. Only that time i was going 30mph and didnt see the sign to turn...so its a common effect with hard braking...skyline
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    What year Jetta do you have?

All new Jettas come with ABS!
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Hmmm..seems like you're right.

http://www2.state.id.us/itd/dmv/DriverServices/chapter6.pdf

Sounds like hydroplaning doesn't occur until 55 mph.

You can tell if you have ABS or not by looking at your dashboard when you first start the car. A light should come on that says "ABS" surrounded by a cricle...IIRC, it is orange in colour.

I'm having trouble visualizing the accident. You were headed in one direction, about to make a turn which way? I'm just trying to see how you would slide across the center median...sounds like something went really wrong!

Perhaps you encountered understeer? But that *shouldn't* happen at 25 mph unless you were trying to make a hairpin curve.