Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Cougar Support Group - A New Start

Comments

• Options
    halo_1halo_1 Member Posts: 27
    "Cougar sales, which have struggled for months, are down 32.7 percent so far this year in the United States at 9,876 units. The Cougar has also not sold well in Europe, where it is marketed as a Ford.

"We just did not have the market demand we had hoped for," Eberwein said." (REUTERS - MAY 25)

Ms. Eberwin is a FORD spokeswoman.

Not good news for the Cougar, maybe the rumors are true that the Cougar will be discontinued. Thank God, I bought mine...

MWS, will this affect the Cougar "S" project? Is this one of the reasons why the Cougar "S" was not introduced in the Spring '00 like originally planned? I'm just curious...
  • Options
    dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    ...to Malibu and Jjmorris. Just a little warning: if your face starts to hurt these next few days, it's because you're smiling too much. I should've warned you before so you could've done some face exercise or something. Oh well!!

PS:
    I got the convenience group and a V-6. I also have that crappy pop-up cupholder.
  • Options
    halo_1halo_1 Member Posts: 27
    Congrats Malibu and JJmorris. Let us now how your first day with the Cougar was...
  • Options
    dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    Don't you just love the way MWS says a few words about rumors concerning Cougars demise. He basically answered it without answering it, sort of like how politicians dodge volatile or sensitive issues. It left me wanting a more definitive answer, but I guess the speculations will just continue to grow.

Badulah:
    Yeah, you're right. MTV did change. I used to watch it a lot before, but now MTV more like soap operas and talk shows.

Jayhawk5:
    Where are you from? I'm surprised you haven't seen any Cougars. Not that I've seen a lot, but I've run into a few Cougars here in NYC. Interestingly, every time I see a Cougar, I try to look 'em over to see if he/she might be one of us. But they don't even bother to acknowledge a fellow Cougar, so I doubt if they're in CSG.

Maybe, we should have a special wave, so we'll know instantly that we're CSG members. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    racerrandyracerrandy Member Posts: 1
    Hi gang!

I'm looking for some input from all of you cougar owners. I've been shopping for a replacement for my 1998 Mazda Millenia and have found a "new" 1999 Cougar at a local Mercury dealer. (I'm hoping it will cure the ol' mid-life crisis!)

The car has 12,000 miles (but was never titled) is Rio Red with grey leather and has every possible option.

The price is quite attractive!

I plan to drive the car approximately 80-100 miles per day (long commute to work!).

Anyway, what problems have you experienced with your "cats" (other than the crappy cup holders)and what should I expect for fuel economy? (This kitty has a 2.5 V-6 and an auto trans).

Thanks in advance,
    Randy
  • Options
    mws0520mws0520 Member Posts: 45
    Fredly: The digital revolution was heard (like the shot heard around the world - does anyone remember that from their history lessons?)

Halo1: I'm not sure where Ms Eberwein got her numbers. We have sold twice the number stated there.

The Cougar S is coming in September. It will be at the CougarFest in September.

Dasaint1: We've been down this road before. Everyone knows I do not comment on future product actions.
  • Options
    jdicejdice Member Posts: 24
    MWS, the Cougar S is `coming in September'. Are you able to `comment' on when dealers will start taking orders for them?
  • Options
    barhenderbarhender Member Posts: 12
    malibu & jjmorris: CONGRATS!!!

How about some pix, especially that CA look...

The Cat is 14,000/9 months young and when I look in the drive, I still can't believe it's MY car.

dasaint: When passing other Cat owners...
    I salute ;)
  • Options
    jayhawk5jayhawk5 Member Posts: 70
    I'm in Washington DC. I didn't say that I didn't see a lot of cougars, just not any the same color as mine (sapphire blue). I've actually seen cougars popping up a lot in the last 2-3 months around D.C.
    I see a lot of silver and spruce green cougars, some black, some red, and today for the first time one the same blue as mine!!
  • Options
    coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    jayhawk That very well could have been me that you saw out on Braddock yesterday. Wish I had seen you. Have been wanting to check out a Sapphire kitty on the road. So, did I look good or what???? ;-D

lefty I got an extension cord for that vacuum that can do all the nooks and crannies, and a new package of Swiffers. Let me know if you want to drop by and get rid of some of the grit.

Yipppeeeee!!!! Just heard the weather report and now I'm all set for a full detailing tomorrow on a gorgeous day after all the foul weather we've been having. Happy Cougaring everyone!
  • Options
    badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    Malibu & JJMOrris:
    CONGRATS & WELCOME TO THE OWNERS CLUB!!!!
    I hope the both of you enjoy your Cats as much as the rest of us enjoy ours. Good luck and stay safe!!

All:
    I usually point to other Cat owners and then wave. All one motion with one hand. No one ever waves back, so that usually tells me that they either didn't see me, or their not a CSG member.

MWS0520:
    Could you please answer the following questions:
    1 - Will there be any design changes for the Cougar any time soon?
    2 - Is FMC planning on hyping up the basic V6 engine?
    3 - Who do you consider to be your direct competition?
    4 - How do you plan to eliminate them?
    5 - Will the Cougar be discontinued in 2003 (Yes or no)?
    6 - When you get a chance, could you please post copies of all FMC vehicle plans for both current and future models up until the year 2010?

Thanks!
    8-)
  • Options
    Malibu:
    I need your email address!! It's not listed in your Town Hall profile. Please send it to me or post it.

Thanks!!!!!
  • Options
    krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    I too have noticed that other Cougar drivers never aknowledge a friendly wave from another Cougar driver. As far as I know, there are no other CSGers living near me. I think we as proud CSGers should set an example and wave/salute to other Cougar drivers when we see them. Sort of like a "good choice in vehicle" wave or a "you obviously did your homework when car shopping and made the obvious best in class choice" wave.

A.
  • Options
    bobschmbobschm Member Posts: 42
    LOL! Poor MWS. You guys just don't give him any slack AT ALL. The poor guy's just trying not to lose his job for being an internet balbbermouth.

I would love to see Mercury reposition the Cougar rather than dump it. I think it's just in the wrong place as far as Mercury is concerned.

Maybe some of you who have buddies working for LM dealerships could ask them to "peek" at the sales manual and check out the competetive analysis. This will tell us who Mercury thinks the Cougar's competition and target market is.
  • Options
    bobschmbobschm Member Posts: 42
    I love it when my fingers invent new words without my knowledge.
  • Options
    daexpertdaexpert Member Posts: 140
    I always flash my lights at Cougar owners but I think they ignore me thinking I'm being a punk and trying to bug them. = )
  • Options
    malibumalibu Member Posts: 155
    Life is gooooood....I could not love any car more than this one, maybe because I waited soooo long. I too got the molded cupholders; one in the consol and one by the gear shift. Maybe because we got later 2000 models they changed them. The special edition I had seen in 99 had the flimsy one also. I wasn't quite ready for the scream that escaped my mouth when I saw my shiney black cat sitting there waiting for me. The salesman thinks I'm a complete loon. The wings west kit looks awesome, not too much, but just enough. I didn't know there was a dash kit included in the special edition, I like it, but it might take some getting used to. I got the polished aluminum rims, and glad I did they really set off the car. When I figure out how to take pictures with my new digital camera and scan them I will show everyone my new baby.

Badulah: e-mail work: lisa@blhk.com
    home: malibu1@thegrid.net

I don't check home regularly, now that I have my car I probably won't ever be home!
  • Options
    Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing some pictures.
  • Options
    I'm jealous, so i'll just have to order me an "S" when they come out (MWS what did you say the MSRP is going to be on them?).

>8-)

I'm in a really weird mood today.
  • Options
    Mike:
    We have your info posted on our website. Thanks!!
  • Options
    vraj2525vraj2525 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone else had their window get stuck? I couldn't get my passenger side window to go back up. I had to push the window up with my hand while holding down the button. It was scary because there are too many cars being stolen where i live. I'm just going to keep my windows up and use my a/c until i get this problem fixed.
  • Options
    Vraj2525:
    I don't recall anyone having any stuck windows, but I could be wrong. If your Cat is still under warranty, your dealer should be able to fix that for you with no problems.
  • Options
    pumamikepumamike Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for posting that and please tell as many New Cougar owners about it.

thanks
  • Options
    If I was going to be in Cali that weekend, I would definitely be there. I have heard that Borla, Wings West, and a number of other companys will be there giving away GREAT prizes for the new Cougar!

All Cali members should make an effort to attend and represent the CSG on the west coast.
  • Options
    My passanger window also got stuck a few weeks ago, and for some reason the button to raise that window back up became really hard to press, but still works. You just have to press the button down really hard, that's the way I did it and it's working fine now, but when it got stuck the button did not work at all for a few minutes. I hope that helps.
  • Options
    catscratchcatscratch Member Posts: 34
    That's what my salesman told me at the beginning of this week. So if all goes well, I'll be in possession of my Cat about the 12th or 13th. A week early, hehe, if all goes well. Not holding my breath though...

I also ordered an Electrochromatic rearview mirror, 2 pair of flat splash guards (w/ the cougar head), the molded vinyl floor mats (also w/ the cougar head), and the car cover (I rent = no garage). All this is gonna run me an extra $500ish, but this being my first brand spankin' new car and all ~grins~ I had to do it up right...

I was told they'll "install" all my accessories before pick-up, given that the accessories show up on time.

But yeah, the days of being cougarless are dwindling =)

catscratch
  • Options
    catscratchcatscratch Member Posts: 34
    Congrats to those that just recently took possession of their Cats and good luck with them down the road. May none of us get lemons =)
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I got my Cat back today. It looks great. I just need to wash it tomorrow morning. Since my car was sitting outside all day the temp read 98 degrees. It took my AC about 20 minutes on 3 to cool the car down. But it finally did.

Congrats to all the new owners (malibu). Glad to hear you are enjoying her.

I also have been seeing alot of Cougars around here in the past month or two.
  • Options
    Am I cursed?? There hasn't been a hailstorm in this neighborhood since I moved in 3 1/2 years ago. Since I bought my kitty, there have been three of them!

Still raining now, so I haven't been out to check, but I'ma skeert to look. It was blowing dead sideways at times and the hailstones were shaped like bullets. Getting dark out too. Guess tomorrow will tell.
  • Options
    Yes, we are cursed. I looked outside to see my car getting hit with hail. Not sure if there's any damage yet, I don't want to go look! I guess I'll go out tomorrow morning and check.
  • Options
    dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    I have been to busy to chat for awhile, I have a few comments to make about recent experiences with my kitty.

South East Heat:

I have noticed that I definitely have less oomph with my kitty during this extreme heat. When we have had cooler days I have really noticed a little more of a boost in power.

Gas Quality/Prices:

Ever since the gas prices went astronomical I have been using 87 octane. Lately, I have had problems with my "bad fuel" light coming on.

I have gone back to 89 octane to see if this continues. If the light comes back on I will probaly throw my stock air filter back on and take it to the dealer.

I am also wondering if a dirty KKM might not be causing this problem.

Bad Sales:

It is sad to see what lack of advertising is doing to the Cougar. It looks like it will go the way of another great car that the Cougar is based on, the Contour.

The Contour was a really great car. Like the Cougar it was adverised when it first came out and then left to fend for itself.

Why Ford never marketed the V6 version of the Contour like the Sports Sedan it was is perplexing. Have you ever noticed that even when you see a Cougar commercial it isn't marketed as a driver's car?

True, it isn't the fastest in it's class, but it still hauls.

Cougar S:

A special edition Cougar S should have more than 200 horsepower. However, as BMW proves with it's amazing inline 6 engines power ratings aren't everything.

If the "S" can outperform the competition with a 200hp engine, fine. If it can't give it at least 225.
  • Options
    Do you guys know the best way to apply the "touch-paint" for our Cougars? Yesterday I was in Georgetown and when I was coming out of the bar ready to head home I noticed I had very little space between the car in front of me and the one behind me to get out of the parking lot. They left me no space at all, and even though I was as careful as possible I tapped the guy behind me! This put a scratch in my kitty close to the gap where the license plate go, barely noticeable but we all know how we are about our cars. = )
  • Options
    jimbo_gjimbo_g Member Posts: 53
    __ This is what we do at thedealership:

~Use a match torn out of a matchbook....use the torn end NOT the head as an applicator. this way you don't overfill the scratch!! Let it dry and cure up......polish it etc. If you're anal like me and have the skills overfillit slightly and then color sand the area carefully to blend the touch-up in with the surrounding paint..... DON"T COLOR SAND IF YOU DON"T KNOW HOW you can do some serious damage if you don't know what you're doing.

That's all for now.

Jimbo_G

P.S. Where's Ambercadabra??
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    When will you pick up your new addition? I think you made a good choice. The price you mentioned sounds a little high to me. What are the options? (Conv Group, ATX or MTX). I believe there are some rebates out that would bring the price down some. Just curious!!!!! Just trying to look out for our newest member......
  • Options
    Thanks jimbo_g, the trick worked pretty good, but I didn't want to try the sanding part, never done it before and didn't want to practice on the paint of a new car! = )

I waxed the car yesterday too, it really brings out the black color paint in the kitty. Looks nice.
  • Options
    lennardlennard Member Posts: 1
    The cat is auto trans. I am planning to lease on Wednesday. I got the premium sound systems 6 disc cd player. I will make sure I get the rebate. It has wood grain dash board. I wish I knew the invoice price.
  • Options
    Never saw the woodgrain dash feature before. Sounds nice though. I know you'll enjoy your kitty......just ask Malibu ;-D
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    dgemini:

Which light did you mean in post #941 when you referred to a "bad fuel" light?

87 octane should work fine, especially at today's prices. Perhaps you were sold some actual "bad" fuel with dirt from the bottom of the service station's tank, or water from the top. Try putting a jug of dry gas in the tank to remove possible water contamination.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    coolchick:

Wood grained dashes are aftermarket items installed by the dealer. You can buy and install a kit on your own. They are just glued on and cost about $200 to $300 from several websites. Here are a few links, there are others.

http://www.exoticwooddash.com/lincoln-mercury.htm

http://www.autodash.com/details.lasso?sn=834&pn=CGR99

http://www.wooddashfactory.com/pages/orders/dashdetail.cfm?partno=MRCU9F-1
  • Options
    blane

Thanks for the links. Took a look and have decided if I put money into anything it will be the 6 CD changer instead of the dash. The basic black will do for me :)
  • Options
    jimbo_gjimbo_g Member Posts: 53
    'Dulah

Happy Birthday!!!

Jimbo_G
  • Options
    stageleftstageleft Member Posts: 391
    Yup, Happy birthday Badulah!

Hail stinks. I remember being told that it was hailing out, running to the front window and looking out to see hundreds of not-soft rain drops bouncing off the Cat. I stood there for a good 10 minutes, until I was sure the hail had stopped before I could bring myself to turn away. No damage here, though. *whew*
  • Options
    y2kittyy2kitty Member Posts: 7
    Congrats to all the the cougar owners!!!! From the looks of things around Nebraska - sales ARE up. I see them all over now.

Happy birthday Badulah!!! (It figures that the cougar is a Gemini's car; airy, mercurial and many things to many people: sporty, elegant and solid.)
    Have a great 27th.

Meguiered the cougar (thanks again Jimbo) over the weekend. Absolutely drop dead gorgeous! Have to take it in for it's first oil change Tuesday and want the service guy to know this car is cherished and if he does ANYTHING to mistreat her I will hound him.

Also found my first ding on the side behind the driver's door. Some turd-dog-from-hell in a parking lot nailed it while it was in my husband's care. Not TOO bad but boy do I see it. Oh well - the first one is over now.

Question: my husband said the sun roof made a screechy, crunch noise twice when he closed it. It had been out in the sun (95 degrees or so) and he wondered if that would affect it. It was fine over the weekend. Anyone have a similar problem?

patte (at work)
  • Options
    y2kittyy2kitty Member Posts: 7
    Sorry - that should say the NEW cougar owners.
    (WHATEVER. It's Monday.)
  • Options
    Fish8:
    Glad to hear you got your Cat back!!

Jimbo:
    How about a new guide for the CSG site. "Touch up paint, and Color Sanding 101"?

Dgemini:
    Bad Fuel Light? What light is this?

Y2Kitty:
    My sunroof makes that noise once in a while. It hot weather drys it out and causes it to squeak. I usually have my dealer but some lube on it when it acts up. Next time I go in for service i'll find out what they use and let everyone know.

All:
    Thanks for the Birthday wishes. I asked for a Cougar-S and a number of other things, but for some strange reason I don't think anyone is going to get it for me. I need to make some rich friends.
  • Options
    gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Hi gang:

WOW! Take a week's vacation, and hundreds of posts to get caught up on.

Did a trip from Chicago to Door Co. Wi. Luckily, we didn't get rained on although the breeze from L. Mich. was pretty cold for the first two days.

The golden cat ran like a dream, cruise control most of the way. Got 30.7 MPG for the whole trip, including running up and down the curvy backroads and prowling the woods. Not bad!!!

Welcome and congratulations to the new owners! I'm sure that you'll enjoy your new intra-species relationship for many years to come.

I agree with the comments as to the poor marketing job done by Merc/FOMOCO on the Cougar to date. For example, I've seen many commercials for the Mitsubishi, and absolutely NONE for the cat. MWS, are you guys just satisfied with the business you're getting from word of mouth, or is the Cougar just a teaser to get people into L/M stores to see the latest land barges? I believe that a good advertising campaign could have easily doubled sales to date. I know that early on, you had a hell of a time building the car, but those problems should be over by now, and if the Mazda build rates are down, that leaves more plant capacity for Cougars. Just drop the SVO engine module into the Cat as an additional Sport Pack option (hold the plastic crap), and tell people about it!!!! My $0.02 on the subject.

Skip G.
  • Options
    Skip G:
    It would be nice if FMC offered a bigger engine in the basic V6 Cat as an option. I'm sure a lot of us in here would have opted for it. I know I would have.
  • Options
    Happy bday badulah!
  • Options
    Thanks Bro!
  • Options
    malibumalibu Member Posts: 155
    244 miles! Thats what I put on her this weekend, When I picked her up Thurs. eve she had 1.2 miles on her. What a dream to drive, all of you were right. I was suprised how quiet it is, the clutch is like silk and she will get out of her own way just fine. I waxed her yesterday (4hrs!) Since I have always had red cars I'm used to having to keep them waxed, but black is tough. You really do get alot of stares, and I've already had people ask what is it?

Badulah: HAPPY B-DAY! I took the pictures we talked about, as soon as they are developed I will work on getting them to you.

I'm lucky I have my own parking spot, in the shade
    with flower beds on both sides here at work so I don't have to worry about her.

Thanks again to all for the well wishes! Happy Monday.
This discussion has been closed.