Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The fate of the '91 is still undetermined. It's worth very little, especially with all the problems it has. We're strongly leaning towards donating it to a chairity for a tax write off. I spoke to my accountant this morning, and he thought it was an excellent idea.

Bob
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Fall Folliage actually 10/22, on a Sunday. The only Sunday Loosh has ever been busy, BTW!

I think we meet at 9am, first car leaves on the timed gimmick rally at 10am. Top 3 get prizes. All will get door prizes sponsored by our beloved Darlene. Finally, we expect a "surprise" vehicle to show up in the hands of our fearless SoA rep.

Sound like a recipe for fun? Bring BOTH Soobs!

Bob: I thought so, yours looked newer.

200k is a pretty good useful life. Ford seems to concentrate their efforts on the Explorer and Taurus, kind of like Subaru does with the Outback, probably because they're the volume models.

Jennifer - yep, tint is aftermarket. Some dealers can set it up for you, but I'd shop independently. Ask if they tuck the film in under the bottom window seals, so they don't peel. Also, look for metallic tints, since dyed films can fade over time.

Roy: my guess is even the rear LSD on certain models are designed to absorb the differences in sharp turns. Maybe that's why our turning radius isn't that good (relative to the wheelbase).

Perhaps their concern is combining a much smaller tire AND those U-turns. Together that may be enough for the LSD to lock and cause some binding. Probably no big deal unless you're doing donuts all day long!

My tires no longer match (stock Foresters do) but at least I have the open diffy. I doubt bigger tires would fit in the well.

-juice
  • Options
    Bob: donate. It'll make you feel good, and it's not bad from a financial stand point, either, 'cause they usually value it at more than it's worth.

Also, you don't have to bother selling it, or worrying about how the future owner will feel when he uncovers all the gremlins.

-juice
  • Options
    tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    I would think the main concern on the mismatched tire sizes is the the differential action would be all the time, not just when turning. This would throw a constant strain on your differential as opposed to the differential only coming into play when cornering.
  • Options
    It has to be designed to absorb the rotational difference on long, sweeping, curvy roads, which sometimes don't go straight for miles.

-juice
  • Options
    FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    I also don't think it is a big deal to drive short distances with a "space saving spare". I have manuals so there is no fuse to mess with, and somehow I am allowed to drive around with those spares. I would agree that they are just trying to make sure you don't drive 6 months with the doughnut tire.
    Frank
  • Options
    If anyone wants to wear the Soob badge proudly, there's plenty of Subaru logo paraphernalia in the new Lifestyle Sports catalog. That page has sample prices, but you can also browse the full 12 page catalog by clicking on the arrows at the bottom.

Darlene sells everything in the catalog at much lower prices than your dealer would offer.

So now you can imagine how I'll look when I show up at the Fall Folliage Tour! :)

-juice
  • Options
    koshkakoshka Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys!
    Anybody knows where can I get 'Subaru' credit card? I could not find any info on their site.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    More problems for Ford:

http://www.blueovalnews.com/

Bob
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    That is true. There is also no information about accessories, clothing, or SPT. Patti, let the webmeisters know- less Flash, more hard info.
  • Options
    dzartmandzartman Member Posts: 112
    Attention all Southern California Subaru drivers. Anyone want to run a "mini-rally" in the hills north of LA? I know some great ridgeline roads with sweet up and downhills, plus nice corners as well which I've run in my Outback. There's a great place to park and chat while Soobies run the "course." yes, this is strictly for fun, non-sanctioned, etc etc. I'm bored with running my Soob through the hills solo and figured it would be fun to meet up with some folks and run our vehicles as they were designed for. Just an idea, but it'd be a hoot. Anyone interested drop me a line at dzman7@aol.com. Comments welcome.

dave z

http://www.wave.net/diveguy/Dave
  • Options
    tomshadletomshadle Member Posts: 11
    While doing a search on the H6 I found a Canadian article I don't know if I've seen mentioned here before. Here it is:
    http://auto123.sympatico.ca/news/2000/may/autonews051600.html
    I especially like the line that says "the H6...runs on regular fuel like the rest of Subaru's lineup."
    I wish we could get more details from Subaru on this. The dealer where I ordered my H6 said they sometimes get the vehicles into the dealership before the brochures. I have seen the brochure on the web, for what it's worth.
    I was sorry to read on the Subaru Club website that the Charlottesville get-together will be canceled.
  • Options
    miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    Per the Subaru Club of America website, the event in Charlottesville, VA on Sunday, 22 October will be cancelled unless more folks RSVP to scoa@SubaruClub.com by 9 October. The event is a Gimmick Rally in and around the outskirts of town. This should be the PEAK week-end for the leaves changing color. I used to live in Charlottesville; it's a beautiful area with lots to do and see.

For those that haven't attended one, in a "gimmick" rally you get a list of directions to a pre-determined route and clues to questions about landmarks or vistas on the route. You write down your answer (perhaps found in a passage of a historic marker by the side of the road) and follow directions to the next landmark. The cars with the "fastest" times and the most correct answers "win" small prizes. It's all in fun, hence the adjective "gimmick"; this isn't an SCCA auto-cross or the World Rally Championship! :) Afterwards, we break bread and talk about Subes and life in general.

Garry Grimes organized this event and I guarantee you won't be disappointed. I went to the event in Valley Forge, VA in April this year (and we got snow, woohoo!) with my wife and two small children and we learned a little about the history of this great country (and drive AWD in the snow! .. oops I already said that).

Come on, folks, join juice and I for some fun in the gentle hills of the East coast! RSVP to scoa@SubaruClub.com today!

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Just found out my Mother-In Law (from Texas)will be visiting us during that time. She has M.S. and I don't think leaving her alone overnight, or for that matter all day, is an option. POOOOOP !!!!!!
    - hutch
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If it were on Sat, I could make it, but sunday would get me and my co-pilot back to albany NY too late on sunday. Sorry.

-mike
  • Options
    I am the one asking for a Sunday event, and we get one and I can't go. Man, that blows. I swear I would do whatever it takes to get there if I hadn't sent in $275 for driving school back in May, WAY before an FF date was set. Crapola. how about a tour to Summit Point? :)
  • Options
    pat88pat88 Member Posts: 40
    I am going to be placing an order with Darlene for several items and I want to get the hood deflector for our 2001 Forester S. Is this an easy install or something I should have the dealer put on?

Do the instructions for putting it on the hood come with the deflector?

Thank you for any help you give me!

~~~Pat
  • Options
    Bob - there were so many recalls it took me a while to find the one you were referring to!

Wow, 6 recalls, and I have yet to see one on public roads yet (maybe that's why).

I lost the bet, though. You'll recall I guess the bike rack would be next, but noone guessed front sway bars so noone gets the free beer.

No way, we can't let Fall Folliage get cancelled folks! Please RSVP today! I'll talk to my cousin and step-mom, see if they'll join in.

Remember, we got freebies lined up, and perhaps a preview drive of a pre-production vehicle. How many people get to see that?

paisan: it starts at 9am. You could swing it, even if you had to leave early.

Pat: I believe it's fairly simple. You have two self-setting screws and a couple of clamps that snap on. You may need a torx driver.

-juice
  • Options
    Oh boy, the Escape uses the Duratec, too...

Trucks don't have roof crush standards like cars do. We shouldn't be surprised.

That's why Subaru touts the Forester does meet all car (i.e. higher) safety standards.

I'd also heard about tire dealers remounting those tires. How stoopid is that?

-juice
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I heard that the swapped tires are "supposed" to be destroyed, by drilling a hole in the sidewall. I can see how greaseball tire dealers would try to turn this into a business opportunity, however. Amazing how this bad situation keeps getting worse!

Craig
  • Options
    qsubaruqsubaru Member Posts: 37
    Received notice from Ford....if the tires are not destroyed by the dealer...$1000.00 fine per tire
    We have been drilling a 1" hole thru the belt in the tires we remove.

P.S. the Ford police have been visiting dealers checking on the tires after hours.
  • Options
    I heard they'll use them for tire barriers at race tracks, burn a few, and grind a few others. Hope so...

-juice
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Personally I feel it is FORD that is reponsible for 90% of the problems. (the lowered Tire pressure from 32 to 26lbs is a biggie) and if ford is re-labelling them as temporaries, it's not firestone's fault...

I personally have had great luck with my firestone/bridgestones over the past 10-15 years I've been using em.

-mike
  • Options
    FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    Firestone 500 tires in the 70's that I had a high speed blowout (fortunately on a rear tire). Apparently they knew about this problem at the time and were dragging their feet about fessing up to it. It still annoys me to think about it. When I saw the current tire situation it looked like nothing had changed (even though the blow to Firestone caused them to lose their independence the last time), perhaps this time the brand will be eliminated.
    There is plenty of blaime to go around. If Firestone was serious about safety and knew that the underinflation would cause problems, they should have not sold tires to Ford.
    Naturally you can make the same arguement about Ford.
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Some local dealers were selling the Firestone takeoffs. I don't know if the local police did anything about it or if they elected to halt that practice on their own.

-Colin
  • Options
    alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Truck roof standards (or lack thereof) are one thing, but did you know that Ford is one of the few companies who doesn't conduct actual rollover tests on their vehicles? By this I mean that when designing and testing the vehicle, not once do they actually roll the vehicle over to gauge its roof strength in a real world accident. Instead, Ford only uses computer modeling and stress measurements to test for roof strength.

Rather appalling, isn't it? Even though I have a lot of faith in computer simulations, I'd rather have my vehicle whacked and crashed in the real world as well.

Check this out, especially the part of rollovers: http://www.curtrich.com/may2000.html

Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • Options
    It's funny we're talking about this now. Anyone else notice the ML rolling over in tests in those commercials?

-juice
  • Options
    You know, I've heard a lot about that commercial, but haven't seen it yet on any of the stations here. Maybe I need to start watching more TV :-) It's no coincedence that MB is airing that commercial now.

Drew/aling
  • Options
    There's one image of a SLK upside down.

Frankly, I think anyone with a roadster - with rollbars - stands a better chance of surviving a rollover than does a person in an Explorer, in a similar situation. Especially after seeing pictures of rolled Explorers.

Next time you see images of rolled Explorers on TV, magazines, etc., pay attention to how poorly the roofs have held up. It's really appalling.

Bob
  • Options
    Bob, I'd still rather have a fixed roof, but yes, I'd probably take the SLK (not just any roadster) over the Explorer in a rollover.

Yup, I've noticed the major roof intrusion into the forward section of the Explorer's cabin as well.
  • Options

..Mike

• Options

..Mike

• Options
    tlimatlima Member Posts: 124
    I installed mine last weekend. Pretty easy, but a bit time consuming. Read (or should I say view, as there are very few words - just pictures) the instructions over and over until you understand them. No drilling or anything like that.

All you need is a phillips screwdriver and possibly a Torque wrench (not Torx - Juice: unlike the fender flares, the hood deflector uses standard screws). Some Lock-Tite is recommended as well.

Be very careful when tightening the two screws to the front of the deflector and brackets (that's where the Torque wrench comes in). I overtightened and started some small spider cracks around the screws in the deflector. I fixed that problem with some 'glass cloth and Crazy glue on the inside - barely noticeable.

If you have any additional questions, post them here and I'll check back often.

Juice: Another tankful and again another 26.5 MPG with an automatic on a 60/40 (hwy/city) commute! Yipeeee.

-TonyL
  • Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Hi! I'm still following your case. Hopefully, you'll be pleased in the end!! I look forward to hearing from you!
  • Options
    I'm still planning on attending. Let me know if it is off so I can plan to attend another!
  • Options
    Well, it looks like the Bean Car and the V-6 is currently going to have the space saver. I know this will make a lot of you unhappy. I have pursued this with "the company" and the understand the concerns. It might change soon. However, there concerns relate to space and the height of the vehicle. The info. they are getting from our engineers is that if we increase the space, we may have to go to a smaller tire. A spare is just that. Something to get you to a replacement. If you need to pop it on, it will not harm your differential, but it should not be on for high speeds or really long distances. I'll let you know what the reaction from your concerns are from FHI as soon as I have them.

I am very encouraged by their response to the concerns here at Edmunds. It reaffirms my belief that the want to hear what you are saying. Hang in there!
  • Options
    Just to let you know, tomorrow, I'm going to "Subaru Academy" for the day. I'll be test driving the H6 with VDC against some other cars (I heard that I have to wear a helmet - sounds like fun). I'll fill you in over the weekend. We are supposed to run the cars against the competition with pro-racers guiding us!

Man, I love my job!! I'll fill you in soon!
  • Options
    V-6!!?? What V-6? And this coming from Patti? Wow, you must be really psyched out about going to the Academy! ;-) Understandably, I might add.

I'd be interested in the other competitors cars that will be there.

Drew/aling
  • Options
    vince14vince14 Member Posts: 55
    Mike/Juice
    boy, this board has come a long way from the original "Outback vs Forester."
    Just thought I'd check in, Just had my 2k ob in for my third tire rotation, (23,500) miles,
    car's running good, drove a Camry while car was in the shop, was able to stay awake.
    Do have a rear speaker on order (n/c replacement), distorted sound. I'm scared to see how well they replace the door panel when they replace it. (Foresters are sooo easy by comparison.)
    Still planning on buying my Donnely ECT mirror and a hood deflector.
    Any more kids, Juice or is baby T enough to handle? Or are you afraid if you have more, you'll HAVE to get a minivan.
    Regards all,
    Vince14
  • Options
    Hi Vince(14 :), thanks for looking in on us. Yes, we've come a long way in the past year; pretty cool now with Darlene of QSubaru and Patti of SoA contributing regularly (and of course the Aussie, Japan, and all other folks -- it's a great CREW). Glad to hear everything's ok. Interested in a schlep down yonder to peak at the fall leaves on Sun 22 October? We'll let you inspect an H6-3.0 up close; Patti's bringing one. (I ask because rumor has there are no trees north of the Mason Dixon this time of year.) ;) Details here: <2176</A>>

Good to hear from you.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    I can't believe I wrote V-6 either! Must've been a problem with my reading (about some competitive products) and writing (about our Sube's) at the same time. Must be getting old!!!

Talk (write) to you all later!!
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    As Eeyore would say, "Thanks for noticing me." I will follow up with you offline. Today is my last day in Boston so I'll have more time to chat after I'm back home.

New England is Subaru country - wish I could've rented an Outback rather than the Taurus wagon. After all, their popularity and reputation up here was a factor in deciding to go Subaru - I figured these Yankees were onto something.

Thanks again,
    Ed
  • Options
    I have caught myself a couple times too. It has to do with the fact that every 6 carpeople like us are used to getting excited about is a "V." "H" isn't in my lexicon fully, at least not yet.

I understand Engineering's point about the spare, but remind Scottie that with the proliferation of all sorts of tire sizes and brands, one might just have to drive a long distance on the donut just to find a place that has the correct replacement in stock. Especially if you are on vacay in unfamiliar country, or worse, off exploring a fire road or secluded mountain biking spot (hah! you thought I'd say "fishing hole").

I point to the Edmunds review of the Saab 9-5 aero as an example of this difficulty
  • Options
    Sheesh, Lucien. Please return your "URL Hound" id card. Here: 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero. OTOH nevermind, perhaps you have a life.

..Mike

• Options
    soon2bsubeesoon2bsubee Member Posts: 137
    Last week, after a lot of online research, reading every post on this and the other Subaru boards(all encouraging!!!) , and test driving every model Subaru makes, as well as Volvo S40 and Camry, we ordered a 2001 Legacy GT sedan (too hot for leather here in South Florida) automatic, CD, tweeters, upgraded speakers, and power outlet from Fitzgerald's in Clearwater Florida (it is the same company as the Fitzgerald's that Juice talks about). The price was good, the salesperson was nice. Soon, soon2bsubee will be Wegotsubee !!!! My wife is pleased, but it was a frustrating process for her...a lot of unreturned calls and emails, a lot of time online, but once the order was placed, we all breathed a sigh of relief.
  • Options
    soon2bsubeesoon2bsubee Member Posts: 137
    Any suggestions from the crew on the final test drive before signing on the dotted line; break-in procedures, etc?
  • Options
    dianidiani Member Posts: 2
    Was driving through a parking lot yesterday and saw a red on red 2001 Forrester, cream leather interior, auto, all the accessories. Had to stop the car, get out and drool. Was wondering what it cost. Since I always see postings about everyones great deals, has anyone bought a loaded Forrester like this and will admit to paying over say 26 or 27K?
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    diani,

what you described is Forester S Premium, Sedona red pearl color. You can easily get one of those at 2-3% over invoice. You may need to order one and wait 6-8 weeks, but you'll get it with all the options you want. Note that SOA does not recommend leather on S Premium models in US, so if you see it with leather, it's probably dealer-installed. Leather will add ca. $900 to the cost.

I bought my S Premium Auto(silver) in July with option packs F3 and F4 plus tweeters. I paid 2.7% over invoice. With tax (8.25%) and title ($450) it did come to aound 26K. RAV4 and CRV sound cheaper, but option for option Forester is an excellent value.

Did I mention I love my Forester?
  • Options
    O.k. Sarge, here's my badge. Sorry, but when I'm at work I try to post as quickly as possible, to minimize my slack time. I can't resist checking in, but usually only have a 5 minute window, so no HTML unless I am at home. :)
This discussion has been closed.