Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Only the strong (with AWD) survive!
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    We had some lovely freezing rain and warm temperatures in fairbanks a couple days ago, but alas, I missed it because I'm in Oregon right now. *sniffles*

I hope you enjoy the weather, Steve!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    We're supposed to get rain that changes in to snow, let's see.

Left the Miata at home today. RWD + summer tires = LOL.
  • Options
    If you change you mind, AJ, please make sure that your wife tags along behind in the Forester with the video camera rolling! :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    For the show Dumbest Stuff on Wheels? :D
  • Options
    Well, I admit I was thinking only of my own entertainment....
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Could you send some of the snow and ice our way?

42 C (108 F) here yesterday. My pumpkins curled up their leaves but seem to have recovered.

At this temperature, tarmac melts.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    You can have a much of ours as you want Graham, I am already sick of the bloody stuff, forecasting a mean temp tonight of 22 below Celsius.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    G'day

Worse still, it is 46 C (115 F) in Sydney now, an all time record. Sydney is usually more humid than here so peak temperatures are rarely as high as Melbourne.

Send us some snow!

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    G'day

Actually hot enough for car window glass to shatter

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-01-18/heatwave-smashes-australia-shaped-hole-in-- abc-car/4471652

There is something prosaic about this one smashing in the shape of Australia

I can hear a cold beer calling me.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Plus you have all those massive brush fires! Can't imagine what it's like battling them in that kind of heat.

Being an insurance adjuster, is that something you're involved in Graham?

Bob
  • Options
    G'day

The bushfires are a real problem. A large one near my home town has caused major problems. Two groups of friends had to evacuate in the middle of the night, although only about ten homes have been burnt. The shift in wind has now sent it deep into the Australian Alps where it could potentially burn for weeks, as we have a sustained dry spell forecast. It is country I know well from walking and ski-ing, but is very, very rugged. The only thing that puts out these sort of fires is sustained rain. We need about 10-25 points to douse the fires.

Last time this happened in this area in 2003, there were 2,000,000 hectares (20,000km2) burned. These fires are normal for the Australian bush, with a lot of the plants relying on periodic fire for germination (there are some seeds which need intense heat, or soaking in smoky water to germinate). The countryside is glorious, with soaring trees, deeply folded gullies and sub-tropical forests.

However, where you get people living in these beautiful areas, there is a real problem. I am currently involved in several major law-suits about bushfires from 2009. Also dealing with some of the current claims. My wife always claims that Loss Adjusters are like Undertakers, revelling in the misfortune of others.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    Had not done this in a while, but changed the spark plugs on the 09 Forester today.

It makes access better if you remove the air box on the passenger side, and I was changing the air filter anyway (it was dirty).

For the driver's side I removed the battery, also for better access.

The good news is now the plugs angle up so it is much easier than before (98 model).

The plugs were clean and could have gone twice as long. ATF clean, actually all the fluids were.

Can you believe just 30k miles in 5 years?
  • Options
    No, I can't AJ! That's impressively low mileage. I replaced my plugs this last summer, and I think the car had somewhere around 42K miles. I also was quite pleased at how much easier the replacement of the plugs was than on older versions of this engine. I removed the air box, but did not remove anything on the driver side.

I also replaced headlights, cleaned the air filter, and did a few other misc. things in addition to the oil change. I need to make sure I replace the brake fluid next summer... have you done that yet on yours?
  • Options
    Easier yes, but my back is still sore. Lots of leaning over.

The brake fluid was clear, I will rotate the tires soon, and maybe bleed the system when I do.

I also had to remove wheel locks from the Miata, without the key! Bang on a 19mm socket, remove, use a punch to get it out, repeat 3 times.

Dealer never gave me he key and still hasn't returned my email. :(
  • Options
    Also just did the cabin air filter. Hard to believe is was so filthy after just 30k, but we have lots of pollen.

These instructions were useful and accurate:

http://youtu.be/1iInTi7Apgk
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Well belated Happy New Year to everyone. Been very busy and just now spent the time to run through a month of messages. Nothing personal, but I have been trying to minimize on-line time recently. No problem filling the time with the usual activities and new bathroom installation in progress.
    On a vehicle note, the Monster truck has been doing weired things shutting down all electricals when the ignition gets turned off and doing nothing when you try to restart , only to revive spontaneoulsy at some later time. Battery was brand new and fully charged. NO Fault Found after 3 days at the dealer. They did replace the battery connectors which they said were a little corroded. Will see if it works. DW refuses to drive it for fear of being stranded somewhere in our balmy sub-zero temps. Do not want to replace it - hard to find low mileage three quarter tons and they are $$$$ when you do. Plus the new ones have less cargo and towing capacity than ours - they eliminated the 8.1 engine with the new body style.
  • Options
    rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    Banged up the Legacy GT during the "Big Blizzard" two weeks ago. About 2k of damage to the front end. Slid into a clown in a pickup with a plow that pulled out of a parking lot directly in front of me. I was literally a mile from work on my way home before it got really bad. Fortunately, his insurance accepted total liability and will cover complete repair and rental. Off to the body shop that restored my Mustang on Monday morning.
  • Options
    Sucks, hope they get it back to as-new.
  • Options
    The shop it is going to does fantastic work! I probably won't get it back until the lines are perfect and the paint matches exactly!!!

On another note ... the Sunday Auto section of the local paper had a very nice feature write-up on the 2014 Forester. I was almost drooling at the specs of the turbocharged XT ... 250 hp 2.0 dohc with automatic SI-drive ... I can almost see myself in one.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Bummer, Even with a Subaru, I now stay off the roads in snow unless I have to go out, because of possible situations like that. It's just not worth the hassle.

Bob
  • Options
    Have you seen the videos demonstrating Hill Descent Control?

I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to even try!
  • Options
    Unfortunately that's one of the downsides of working in healthcare for a visiting nurse agency. I am usually at work in or before the worst weather conditions going through the logistics of keeping the office going and getting the clinical staff off the road so they are safe while making sure they can see the most critical patients.

Yup, blizzards ... hurricanes ... floods ... I'm usually in the GT or Outback while the sane people are at home!
  • Options
    That sounds pretty sane to me, Rob. I'm usually looking for an excuse to get out in that stuff when I'm lucky enough to have a good storm come through! :blush:
  • Options
    Ouch Rob, that poor ould Legacy has taken it's licks what with the prior hail damage and now this, sure is a road warrior. Good luck with the repairs, and say hi To Mikey.

Cheers pat.
  • Options
    Impreza won its class, also:

http://youtu.be/yNvyFMlvumk

Overall Lexus was 1st, then Subaru and Mazda tied for 2nd.
  • Options
    Hey Pat! Mikey says hello. We miss the Thursday night chats.

Yeah ... kinda forgot about the hail, although I do think about THAT day when I wax it. There are still a couple dents in different places. I'll say one thing, I do absolutely love that car! And miss it.

I'm driving a 2012 Ford Fusion for a rental. Not a bad car, really. The interior is sort of plastic-ey and the dashboard looks sort of cheap. I hate where the temperature control knob is - I have to reach out and lean over to get to it.

I do miss the 'beauty of all-wheel drive', especially today driving in/out of a snow storm to work. FWD is not the same. Hate the feeling of the steering wheel twitching every time a tire breaks loose. And I don't have heated seats ... heated mirrors ... heated windshield wipers ... 250hp turbo ...
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yeah I still miss the chats as well, although I was not able to get in long before Edmund's dropped them. Yeah I think your GT is a 2005 right? I know with me when I buy a car it is not an appliance it becomes like a member of the family, Nuts EH! I know when it eventually comes time to sell it , it is a wrench to my system.

Part of the problem is I do so much aftermarket stuff to them it is like letting part of myself go. Like in the Mazda3 I have now I just recently put a complete Katzkin leather interior in it, including the door panels. Installed it all myself. When I bought the car I didn't like the factory leather so I held off on that. You can bet this car won't be going anywhere soon, It puts a smile on my face everytime I get into it.

Cheers Pat.

Pat.
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    well ... if we are all on Facebook ... and we are all on a group there at the same time ... does that make us have the ability to 'chat'?
  • Options
    hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    I can link in the whole family in to one chat box... not sure if there's a limit to the number of folks we can cram in there at once... is it the 21st century electronic version of how many folks can you stuff into a phone booth?
  • Options
    Indeed, it is!
  • Options
    Ah! I am a dinosaur regarding social media, I have a basic cell phone for use in an emergency only. To give you an idea how much I use a phone, I have a basic pay as you go plan at ten bucks a month. Minutes accumulate if not used, well at last count I have over a hundred minutes. :D

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, welcome to the club - I pay for ten bucks every three months for 100 minutes and just checked today and I have $14 built up. :D
  • Options
    You guys probably have what we should have on our phones .... Husband has an Black Jack and I have an original IPhone. They are almost 5 years old. We have been looking at possibly upgrading our phones for about 6 months. He is the one who pays that bill, so I'm find with whatever he decides we 'need'. Everytime I think he's about ready to buy phones, he says ... why should I spend all this money on new phones? Nobody calls us anyway! We do text 'some'. Not nearly what the kids do ... Oh well ... when he decides ... he'll decide ...

He thinks he wants the Samsung Note. I want the Samsung Galaxy IIS - or whatever they come out with by the time he decides to actually buy them!
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    edited March 2013
    lol, welcome to the club - I pay for ten bucks every three months for 100 minutes and just checked today and I have $14 built up.

I pay $10 every 4 months ( Page Plus Cellular ) and have a $128.69 (~1286 minutes) balance built up after almost 6 years.
  • Options
    Hah. I have you all beat. I pay $0 and have no phone to tote about, either. Of course, I don't accumulate many minutes that way.... :blush:
  • Options
    Mine's a PagePlus plan too (and yeah, ~4 months, not ~3). I actually used mine today to get texted a new password from my bank. And my wife took her mom to the doc out of town last week and called me when she couldn't get the Outback's hatch open. I was of no help but she did finally manage to get it open and get the impulse-buy plant stand in the back. Real emergency usage in other words. :-)
  • Options
    How much and what does it include?

I'm thinking about this for my daughter:

http://www.republicwireless.com/

The $29 option with the $99 smart phone.

She'll be the last 8th grader in Potomac to get a phone BTW. :sick:
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Why not just get her a basic phone with a qwerty keyboard and add her to your family plan for $10?

All she really wants is to text and personally, I'd keep a 14 YO off a smart phone.
  • Options
    The catch is we don't have a family plan. I have a work phone, and the wife has a BlackBerry with data and voice. Waiting for the Q10.

A 2nd line adds about $45-50 a month, then the 3rd one wold be cheap but we don't need it yet.
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Browse the website; they have various plans available.

http://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

You can use any Verizon branded phone except for ones that are specifically sold for Verizon prepaid. Ask family, friends, co-workers if they still have their pre-upgrade Verizon phone laying around.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Cheap too...thanks.

Which network do they use? Verizon's?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yep, pretty good coverage in my limited experience.

Funny, they're based in Ohio. All this time I thought they were an Oregon company.
  • Options
    Tough thing about parenting is when you say "get straight As and you can have this" and then your kid gets straight As, and....

....you're stuck!

Good "problem" to have, I suppose.
  • Options
    Was that a 'backward brag'? Or a 'backward complaint'? LOL
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Trust me, Juice, it's a good problem to have!

This past Saturday I sat in the audience as a proud parent as my daughter's team of 4 kids represented our H.S. at the county level competition of World Quest. They placed 4th of 12.

They gave the audience sheets so that we could play along, and after 4 hours and 100 questions, my head hurt!

http://www.worldaffairscouncils.org/2011/main/home.cfm?database=programs&Categor- y=AcademicWorldQuest&Section=Academic%20WorldQuest%202012%202013
  • Options
    When our kids outperform us...we did something right. ;)
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...and the wife has a BlackBerry with data and voice.

If your wife has her own plan, you can make it a family plan for $10 and add unlimited plan texting for about $10.

Trust me, once a kid gets a phone and starts to text that's the easiest way to reach them. Our family communicates via text constantly and my wife and I both use texting for work. Last month usage was me - 819, wife - 350, my MIL - 12 and my 10th grade son - 4390!! We will be adding my 7th grade daughter and that'll probably add another 1000 a month.

Another choice is a prepaid T Mobile plan. That's what we have my daughter on and each text costs her a dime. After a while she started to become aware of her usage.
  • Options
    you can make it a family plan for $10

Are you sure? Last time I asked them the cost jumped up a lot more than that, but I think it's because I'm including a data plan for a smart phone.
  • Options
    hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    And we're extra-blessed when we have the resources that allow them to pursue those talents!
    We have invested much in time, talent and treasure over the years for my oldest, the athlete, and my 2 youngest, the musicians.
    Kids and parents alike reap those rewards.