Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Congrats.

EJ22, right? Pretty solid engine.
  • Options
    hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    Correct, EJ22.
    Did a vehicle history report, looks like this thing had been stolen at least twice in its lifetime. Apparently recovered this last time after the insurance company had already paid off on it. Has one oddball tire that I'm resolving today.
    If only cars could talk :)
  • Options
    AWD, so tires gotta match!
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,809
    Hah; no kidding! Stolen twice... how strange. That's a "meh" car, so I have to wonder what induced its theft on more than one occasion! Perhaps more impressive is that it is in as good of condition as you say, given such a colorful history.

Congrats, nonetheless. Hopefully the kid(s) will get ample use out of, and experience from, it!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    Precisely. Dealer says he can get a 4th - the 3 are new enough, the 4th is close, but I know how picky this AWD system is. Failing that, I guess it's 4 new ones, and a craiglist tire sale :)
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Sounds like a winner!

Bob
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    We are actively working on future improvements. If you have a few minutes, please fill out the survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/EdmundsForums

Your input is greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    Sales up 25%, led by demand for the new Forester.

They're on track to break the annual sales record for the 5th year in a row! :shades:
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Actually I traded in the STi for a 2010 335ix Sedan. My cousin had it on a 3/36k lease but only put on 23k miles. So the buyout was only 2500 more than what they gave me as a trade on my STi. I miss my 05 LGT Wagon 5MT :(

The STi bone stock blew the motor at 20k miles and was replaced under warranty. But still a bone stock car should not have #4 piston ringland and main bearing issues. :(

AZP is doing very well, I managed to employ 3 of my good friends and we are set to hit about 300k-400k in gross sales next year.

We are also running our own private track event at NJMP Thunderbolt in June for our clients and friends!

New stable is:
    04 Armada
    12 Jaguar XJ
    10 BMW 335i X-drive Sedan

Either late this year or early next year I will likely pickup a BRZ for the shop as a weekend track car and advertising tool.

-Mike Paisan
    http://AZPInstalls.com
    http://AZPTrackEvents.com
  • Options
    Wow! A lot of changes! A '12 Jag, and those issues with the STi. Sounds like you're definitely keeping your plate full. So full, that I'm more surprised to see you on the boards than not! :P

Take care, Mike!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Great to hear from you Mike.
    335Xi nice. It is what I would be driving if we had a local dealer. Loved the car, I am just hesitant with owning a vehicle with nearest dealer/shop support 350 miles away.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    edited May 2013
    This one is for you, Paul!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VWQ1nLkXzvI

A couple of my stills are in the film.
  • Options
    All of that in addition to my day job at the electric company.

Truth be told the jag I got as a friends and family deal through a friend who works at jag/RR corp. but I am sold on it. Rides wonderful, plenty of power, great handling and super light/nimble for its size.

Mike
  • Options
    Yeah here I have 5 dealers within 1/2 hr. maybe 15+ within an hr drive. I will be getting the extended warranty on it for sure.

I tracked it 2 wks ago and she did well even on all seasons. I have some new summers ready to go on in a week. :)

Mike
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    I always wanted a jag....
  • Options
    I have to say the Jaguar XJ is an unbelievable car. 5.0 DOHC 385hp/385lbs and only weighs 4000lbs, all aluminum body and chassis. So far about 20k miles and they did 1 oil change at 15k miles otherwise no issues whatsoever. Oh and milage is outrageous... At 80mph on the highway I get 27-28mpg, mixed/city-highway daily driving I get 20-21mpg. :)

-mike
  • Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    edited May 2013
    I might as well add to the list of the long lost folks.
    As some of you know from FB, Laurie, her son Alex, and I will be moving to Philadelphia mid-July. It's going back home, so to speak. I have my Pennsylvania license and am actively looking for a teaching position up there, and I am also working on getting a food truck started up, with the help of others.

We are excited and nervous, but feel that now is the time to do it; Michael graduated from Temple U. in February and got a job as a junior copywriter at Saatchi & Saatchi in NYC, his dream job for now. Laurie's older son Paul is at Drexel studying chemical engineering, my family is in NJ in the Princeton area, and her dad is also in the Philadelphia area; it's about family.

Lil' Blue has around 107K miles and needs to TLC; she runs well but the mileage I am getting is around 13-15mpg around town...a good tuneup...Paisan, expect a visit this summer. Veronica is running wonderfully, having been taken care of by an incredible Porsche guy named Kevin Wheeler in Boca; former crew chief to Derek Bell in Florida, former mechanic for the Audi factory GT Team back then, and has been doing Porsches since he was 16.
    Here is a photo of the two girls on a PCA drive to Key Largo. ( I seem to be having problems with the image...it disappears when posted but is there when previewed??? Ideas on how to fix this?)

I will be updating the progress as things happen.
    Serge
  • Options
    Of course it's too big...thumbnail disappears!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2013
    In edit mode you can stick height=400 width=600" after the .jpg" and before the right bracket and that should make it fit.

Or use any other height/width size. :shades:

• Options
    Thanks, Steve.
  • Options
    Cute red head.

The girl ain't bad lookin' either. ;)
  • Options
    Let me know when you want to come in we'll take good care of you.

June 19 we are running a private track day at NJMP... :)

I can also lend some insight into Drexel as I spent 7 years there in a few different majors... :)

Let me know if you want any small business advice too on starting that food truck biz...

I'm a wealth of info aren't I??

-mike
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    You're like... the ORACLE!!! heh
  • Options
    Delphi is a big auto supplier too. (yeah, that's the only oracle I know, other than that Larry guy).
  • Options
    I must be a bit behind the curve, Serge. Is this the new Mrs. Small?

Oh, and welcome back to the cold!
  • Options
    will do, Mike...
  • Options
    No new Mrs, but she is the love of my life; we've been together for 2.5 years and both of us have that instinctive feeling that we truly belong together. She has 2 sons, one at Drexel and one finishing 8th grade.
  • Options
    Happy Canada Day Pat.

I'm guessing Juice is at the beach or further south? Haven't spotted him around in a few weeks.
  • Options
    I think AJ has been tied up with family and/or work stuff.

Bob
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    We made our annual trek from Indiana to Texas to visit with my family last week - it was a "quicker" trip than usual in the number of days we had available.
    Left last week on Monday as soon as husband got home from working his 12 hour all night shift ... I drove from South Bend to Malvern, AR which is quite a haul since we weren't able to leave home until about 9:00. Tuesday, drove on to Clear Lake Area south of Houston. Wed & Thur visiting with parents (and mom's sister). Thur evening we drove to the north side of Houston to visit with friends and my daughter and her family. Fri visiting with the family there and up to leave on Sat morning to drive home. Hoping to drive back to Blytheville, AR on Saturday, and then home on Sun ... did you see the "hoping"?
    We stopped just on the west side of Little Rock to eat dinner, then back in car and onto the loop around Little Rock to I-40. Just before the I-40 exit, we got 'bells and whistles' and all kinds of messages on the digital display. Pulled to the shoulder and flipped on the heater (one very clear message was 'overheating'), trying to figure out the course of action. Finally moved forward mostly on the shoulder and with emergency flashers and took the I-40 exit and then the 1st exit after getting on and parked at a truck stop to further make plans.
    While there, we asked a couple of local policemen (eating dinner at Subway in the truck stop!) where we might find auto parts or something close by. We were directed back toward Little Rock on I-40 a couple exits and we'd find at least a WalMart and an auto parts store. We found the WalMart but no auto parts. We thought maybe we'd misunderstood which direction to turn and went back the other way to look and a block later found a PepBoys open at 7:00 PM on Saturday. Pulled in there. Couldn't get the work done then, but they were also open on Sunday. There was a Holiday Inn across the street. We stayed overnight, and left on Sunday afternoon about 2:30 CDT - one new radiator and belt tensioner (and everything that goes with a new radiator) and a little (OK, a LOT) poorer.
    I drove into South Bend about 4 AM EDT on Monday morning (13.5 hours later). Husband had to work last night ... at least neither of us had to be at a job first thing on Monday morning!
    (no - not in the Subaru ... in what used to be the husband's dad's car - '99 Cadillac Deville which he's already sunk other $$ into. I have to admit I liked driving it a lot better than his Lincoln Town Car, but I'm tired of road trip 'adventures'!)
  • Options
    We're moving to the Eastern Shore of Maryland, to be closer to our daughter and son-in-law. Oh, let's not forget the beach... ;)

Got to to be outta here by mid-August.

Bob
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Thank you, and a happy 4th to all you guys there.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    edited July 2013
    Guess who is in the Edmunds Member Spotlight? :shades:
  • Options
    Following along in that standard teenage right of passage, Emily, driving dear old Dad's nearly 12 year old Outback, passed her road test yesterday and earned her NYS Drivers License!

Quick! Run for higher ground!
  • Options
    Congratulations, Emily! Condolences to you and your trusty old Outback, Dad.... :P
  • Options
    tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Condolences to your pocketbook! I pay more in insurance premiums with 2 teenage boys than I do in car payments!!!!! :mad:
  • Options
    I've already pleaded with her to not be the first to dent the near perfect body panels! I'm the kind of guy who generally parks in the oddball spot or simply away from the crowd, and people still stop and admire my old girl. She'll be 12 in September, and is about to roll 110k. But, now that the HS Parking Permit is going on MY car and not Beth's, let the door dings begin! Oh well.

Insurance, I've been promised by my agent should be 'reasonable' - about half that of a typical boy. A girl with straight A's & drivers ed gets multiple discounts. I'll let you know what the damage is.

Anyhow, the insurance is going to be a pittance compared to the quotes for colleges! This is the season. On the road each weekend. I now know the Dean of the School of Science, Dept of Physics (a good dozen of them...) on a first name basis, and we still have a few to go. This is tougher than I though. She already won one scholarship ($12k / yr, 48k total) in a competition, so we are using that as a bargaining chip to see what we can weasel out of the others.
  • Options
    I'm going to try to post a link so you guys can see this. My ex's brother died recently. He had made a name for himself in the racing business by being innovative with intake manifolds. The link is to a tribute on GM High-Tech Performance. Hope you can see it.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/hotnews/1308_john_a_beck_1945_2013/
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    May need to try this one if yours doesn't load. I had trouble, maybe because of the underscores.

Wish my folks had been taking cars apart and putting them back together when I was 12....
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Oddly, cover for probationary drivers in Australia is not too bad, but excesses leap a lot when the driver is under 25. Absolutely no loading as a Learner Driver, who are statistically the safest of all drivers (but accident rates soar the moment they get a license). My daughter has had her Learners Permit for four years but is concentrating on study so has only accumulated 50 hours driving, far short of the 120 hours required to sit a Driver's test.

Yet again, I am grateful that we are educating our kids in Australia, rather than the USA. For a lengthy period, Tertiary Education was free in Australia and even now, we only pay 20% of true cost. Most students use a government loan scheme, repayable out of taxable earnings after they exceed a threshold. There is a discount for early payment but the figures don't work for most students who are better off to use the loan scheme. It explains why Australians are very well educated. There are some private universities, but the top ones are all state owned.

My daughter passed up our suggestion that she study overseas or interstate, insisting that her best choice was the local university at the other end of our suburb which offers the courses she wants. That saves residential college fees as she prefers to live at home. I can't fault her logic as it is a top three uni. with a good honours programme in music, literature and psychology.

She also has sorted her plans for the two post-graduate degrees she is planning, one a short tram ride away and the second a longer tram ride away; none more than an hour from home. We may end up supporting her for a long time to come as I thought she was working too many hours and offered to fund her, if she got enough High Distinctions; paying off so far!

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    Sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders and a solid plan of action, Graham! If she stays the course, she'll have the world conquered in no time! ;-)
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    We visited a couple of colleges over the past few days. They are both high dollar and 2-3 hours away. I was a commuter student and feel I missed out on something. I want my son to have that college experience.

Either way can work - it's based on the kid.
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Both my wife and I attended universities a long way from home so lived in college; indirectly that was how I met her as she was in college with friends of mine, albeit in another state. We tried to persuade our daughter of the benefits but, given the university she attends is just at the other end of our suburb, she scratched that idea. Mind you, her social life on campus looks as good as mine ever was.

I had expected that she would want to take a car to university but she has it worked out that it can be quicker to take a tram and bus, rather than drive and park (and it is a lot cheaper as campus parking is pricey - intended to dissuade students from bringing cars onto campus). The down side is that I am getting to the point of wishing to replace the Kluger, which is supposed to be handed on to her. I might end up having to buy two cars at once.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    Decision time.... My old trusty 2002 OBW will celebrate it's 12th BD in a few weeks, and Beth is pushing me to pass it on to Emily. Today we went looking at potential replacements. Having scored the deal of the year two years ago on a CPO Toyota, we are including used in the mix. Today we looked at a 2011 OBW 2.5i Limited w/moonroof just coming in off lease (27k miles) at a nearby Subi dealer for $20k. It hadn't gone thru reconditioning or CPO certification yet, so it won't be available to drive until mid next week. Anything major to watch out for on the 2nd year production of the Gen 4 cars?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Over the holiday weekend a few local dealers were open, so we looked further. I drove a new 2013 OBW (base premium), and then a higher mileage 2011 OBW (base premium). The 2011 definitely exhibited more off-throttle engine braking (the 2013 coasts better), but none of the harshness/jerkiness that some owners have reported with the earlier CVT. That was nice to see, as initially I'd written off any 2011 or 2012's as problematic. I'd still love to have an FB rather than EJ engine, but affordability (and even availability) of a 2013 is an issue.

Other things we drove:

2011 (last gen) & 2013 (new) Forester - Nice, but not really what we want long term.

2011 (last gen) & 2012 & 2013 (current) Honda CR-V - Very nice, especially the current gen. A little concerned about the AWD delay, but my sister in New Hampshire has had both (recently traded her 2008 for a 2013 in EX-L trim) and loves them. Too stripped in LX trim, but the EX offers great value for the cash. Overall, we liked it better than the Forester.

2011 Toyota Venza - Wife's favorite of all we've looked at, but too heavy for the 4 cyl, and the V6 is too thirsty. Very pricy...

2011 (last gen) and 2013 (new) Rav4 - sat in, but never drove either. The 2013 has to have the most unevenly padded and ill-formed seats of any new car I've ever sat in. Both of us rejected two of them.

2011 Nissan Rogue - seemed smaller, and poor visibility. Never drove it.
  • Options
    We put a hold on the 2011, but after some careful consideration, walked away. We drove a 2012, and then a pair of 2013 and a 2014. The dozens of little (some big like the FB engine and tranny) improvements were more evident than we initially anticipated. Over time I've come to want a newer one, and Beth finally said to just do it. So the search turned to new 2014 arrivals.

Tonight I made an offer on an in-transit 2.5i Premium with moonroof..... Several non-local dealers have emailed me extremely competitive offers, and I'd love it if my local guy could match it. It would be nice to purchase local for a change. We'll see.
  • Options
    SOA called and offered me a new OB for free - based on customer loyalty!

J/K.... wanted to see if ANYBODY out there was paying attention. Weeks without a post on this board.
  • Options
    Someone go grab Juice back (I can understand taking a summer break, but the leaves are changing).
  • Options
    HAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    Glad someone enjoyed my humor!

Well, today we did it.

2014 Outback 2.5i Premium with Moonroof pkg.