Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Meet The Members II

Comments

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Are you sure? Last time I asked them the cost jumped up a lot more than that, but I think it's because I'm including a data plan for a smart phone.

If you are going to add a data plan then it'll probably be another $30 per month. I was quoting just adding unlimited texting and another user. As I noted, I wouldn't give an 8th grader data or a smart phone - just my personal opinion.

My 10th grader has an ATT Z431 which works great for his needs which is text and phone. Of course he has a school issued iPad for everything else but that's locked down pretty securely.
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Yep family plans for text and phone only are dirt cheap. Problem is, most phones have data capability. If you think the data plans aren't cheap, wait til you see data rates without a plan!! sometimes the kids aren't even trying to cause trouble, they don't even know that something is data. Friend saw a bill in the hundreds $$ when their son thought he had been using free WiFi.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    She has access to an iPad but you're right, they'll click on links from a text and bam - you're using up data you don't have.
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    edited March 2013
    I know this is a car forum and we don't normally touch politics, but I feel that if your idiot politicians don't get their collective heads out of their butts, there won't be a future for all those bright kids. Just when the economy is showing signs of life they are doing their utmost to kill it.

BTW Democrats and Republicans are equal opportunity screw ups.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Here, here! Both sides have lost the art of, and the desire to compromise. If the current issue included THEM not getting paid tomorrow, they'd sure be quick to fix the problem.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.....
  • Options
    You've got it, Paul!

My 17 year old is going thru a bit of a mid life crisis right now. For years it was music 24x7, and sure she wanted to teach band/orchestra. Then suddenly a bout of self doubt. Model Congress, Model UN, and now WorldQuest opened her eyes to geopolitics and the opportunity to change the world. But then again, she now wants to go to the local community college this summer between Jr. & Sr. year so that she can take Chemistry and something else, freeing her schedule next year so that she can take AP Physics (took honors physics this year) and Calc.

Such problems.... The only downside is the wear-&-tear on her dear parents.
  • Options
    rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    I'm reading about kids and data without a plan ... Last Christmas I upgraded the wife and the boy to new qwerty phones with 1000 text messages on the family plan. I told the boy not to go to the web. The next bill was over $400 with, you guessed it ... $232 dollars of data charges on the boy's phone! Verizon kindly knocked 25% off that month and put him on a $10 data plan because he already racked up another $100 for the next month. Daddy's smartphone quickly denied access.
  • Options
    ... I got the Legacy GT back from the body shop on Saturday. After straightening the left fender and replacing the bumper cover, retaining bar, brackets and driving lights, he ended up blending the paint across the entire front end, cleaning up that sand-blasted look from too many New England winter miles. It looks fantastic!
  • Options
    Good to hear Rob, so you will happy to drive it another 100,000 miles :)

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    Drove home from work in a pretty nasty snowstorm only to find husband had taken his car to the shop and needed a ride home ... lol ... yeah ... my outback did just fine ...
  • Options
    Exhales, phew.
  • Options
    Nice save, Brenda.

We were supposed to get 4 to 8" but it was more like one inch of slush!
  • Options
    We ended up with over 7" at our house and there was up to a foot in places. A lot of the schools around us today either cancelled or took a 2-hour delay. Where I live, the schools cancelled. The schools where I work (which are basically the next city - which is only divided from my city by an invisible line down the middle of a street!) were open all day. Getting to work this morning wasn't as bad as it would have been if all the schools, etc. were open, but the plows hadn't been on our street yet. The plows also hadn't been on the street where the school is. I got in just fine but a teacher coming in a few minutes later in a minivan had to be pushed to get through the snow and into our cleared parking lot!
  • Options
    Glad you asked. By the weekend, we are supposed to be close to 50 and having heavy rains - so now the 'outlook' is for flooding ... with the snow that is on the ground that is already pretty saturated and the coming rain ...
  • Options
    Both schools and the federal gov closed, but they really thought it was going to be much worse than it was.
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

Send some snow our way. Currently at day three of a ten day heatwave, every day over 30C (86F).

Garden is wilting very fast

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    Let's trade places for a week. Free air conditioning here. ;)
  • Options
    LOL @ free AC ...
  • Options
    Have to share some good news - my daughter has been moving up in the hoops world, from rec, to rising stars, then middle school. Yesterday we found out she made final cuts for a Classics AAU team.

Dad's quite proud, given I started coaching her when she was in 1st grade. :shades:

I couldn't coach her any more - she's better than I am! :D
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yesterday we found out she made final cuts for a Classics AAU team.

Congratulations to your daughter. You might as well sell your beach place - you won't get there soon if she's playing on a club team!!

My son played on an elite lacrosse team for 3 years. Weekends year round were devoted to driving to practices, games and tournaments.
  • Options
    Yeah, but we already use it so seldom, may as well let the kids participate in more spring and fall sports.

At least the place is low maintenance, low fees. I combined the two mortgages so only 1 loan, also.
  • Options
    hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    Well done, Juice. You got her this far.
    I love how this thread so often focuses on the achievements of our kids... and we all put up with everyone elses bragging! :D
  • Options
    At least we're bragging about someone else! :D
  • Options
  • Options
    Yeah, they should get a #1 seed.

My only concern is they haven't been tested enough, I think 18 of their games were against teams not in the top 100.

Also, the Zags are usually comfortable as an underdog/cindarella, now they are favorites so everyone will be out to beat them, bringing their best game.

I Love March Madness!
  • Options
    Still a few voices out there that think they are over-rated, as you suggest. I don't follow the game closely enough to render an informed opinion. It sure has been good for the school & the community, though. We'll see where it takes them (and us!)
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    It's only a number, but impressive nonetheless! Gonzaga was a known entity (having grown up just south one the greener side of the border in Helix, OR) to me in my youth, but they were essentially cannon fodder for the huge schools at the end of the day.

I'm not much of a fan of college sports these days because I know how much we dump into our program here, and how much it takes away from everything else (meaningful) we could be doing.

But, you still have to feel good for the guys who are living their dream, so hats off to them and best of luck as they close out the season!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    OK, It's about ME:

I spent most of today at one of our district's elementary schools as part of "eWeek". I was 'loaned' out by my company to lead a team of eight engineers and scientists to teach kids about the importance of STEM (science, technology, engineering & math). We had a great time, and hopefully made a difference in how kids think about the technological world they will inherit. And I even got to embarrass my own daughter by going to her class! Hey, I designed the curriculum and made the schedules, so of course I went where I wanted.
  • Options
    Ah, one of those payback moments as a dad. Gotta love it, Steve! I'm glad you had a great time!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    I was 'loaned' out by my company to lead a team of eight engineers and scientists to teach kids about the importance of STEM.

Reminds me of last week's Big Bang Theory - Sheldon, Leonard and Howard were going to promote science to middle school girls. Sheldon decided to google "How do I excite 12 year old girls?" Hilarity ensued.
  • Options
    I usually catch Big Bang in reruns, so yes, I definitely need to see that one!!! I swear I work with some of those people... A psychologist helping my daughter many years ago told me that Aspergers runs rampant thru high tech. I believe it!
  • Options
    A psychologist helping my daughter many years ago told me that Aspergers runs rampant thru high tech. I believe it!

I know about 10 MIT grads - I'd say most of them have a touch of Aspergers.
  • Options
    I think there are also a lot in the space industry ..
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    A lot of famous people have had this.

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/article_2086.shtml

While I've never been tested for it, I have long suspected that I may have Aspergers, as I have a number of traits that are often associated with it.

Bob
  • Options
    You are not alone. My wife looks at me with that quizzical look (married? you know the one....) and mutters under her breath "undiagnosed Aspergers".
  • Options
    Steve, Rita sometime mutters under her breath at me and I am pretty sure she is not muttering undiagnosed Aspergers. ;)

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Hahahahahaha. I strongly suspect the same from my wife. :P
  • Options
    FWIW ... my wife doesn't mutter ... she's part Italian. I usually know what she's thinking!!! ;)
  • Options
    SUBARU SURRENDERS AND CONFIRMS AWD TURBO CONVERTIBLE TWO-SEATER DIESEL HYBRID BRZ

http://www.media.subaru.com/newsrelease.do?id=432&mid=1
  • Options
    Dammit, that's just not funny! :P
  • Options
    The new model, which is expected to have a starting price, will however NOT come with a much anticipated rear back-up camera

Love it!
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear that it will indeed have a starting price!

Gotta love a car company with a sense of humor.
  • Options
    Yeah, I bet that was all SoA and HQ (i.e. Japan) didn't even know about it.
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    edited April 2013
    Hi everyone,

It's been a few years since I've been on this board so it's good to recognize most of the screen names.

My 2000 Legacy has ~264k miles and I'm finally ready for my next car most likely another subie. Probably Q4 of this year.

Jim
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    If you haven't sat inside some of the newer models you will be surprised to find the Impreza bigger inside than your Legacy. And the 2014 Forester with more passenger room than the Outback!
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm back folks. Hope everyone has been well.

Mike
  • Options
    She's just now broken in. ;)

Sup mike?
  • Options
    Welcome back, Mike (and Jim)!

How's the STi treating you, Mike? Jim, it sounds like you've definitely got your money's worth out of the old Legacy! A co-worker sold off his '00 Legacy last summer after twelve years with it. It's like parting with an old friend.
  • Options
    It's like old folks at home week, with several MIA members popping back lately.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Pulled the trigger (pending a couple minor service issues) on a car for the kids to share:
    95 Legacy L sedan, AT, only 108K miles. Clean as a whistle, neat as a pin, drives very well. And the trunk is big enough for the baritone sax case :) Under TMV, under (WAY under) KBB, just under NADA.
    I'm usually a bit leery of Craigslist, but this one turned out OK.